Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 331 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279354Likes

post #9901 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I've held off getting an Oppo for years. Mostly because I couldn't justify the expense. Instead I own an army of lesser Blu-ray players whose combined cost probably would have paid for an Oppo.

I just purchased a JVC RS 420. I would love to go with an Oppo rather then mess with a HD Fury and another player. I need to send SDR with WCG to the projector. I need the dual HDMI out because my receiver won't pass 4K video. And I need the HDMI in for my PS4 Pro because I only have two HDMI ports on the projector.

Now I'm ready to jump on an Oppo since on paper it checks all the boxes (other than including streaming apps) only to read about all the problems.

I've read all the threads but can't really come to a consensus on what problems I can expect with my configuration. If anyone with a similar setup would be willing to comment either here or via PM it would be greatly appreciated.
I have a JVC RS20. Likely installing my JVC RS520 tonight (when chief mount comes in).
I have the Oppo UDP-203 going through a Lumagen Radiance Pro with outputs to projector and to an old Denon AVR.
It works.
Other than slow HDMI handshakes, and the Lumagen notifications of a non HDCP 2.0 projector (and override) it is working.
I haven't tried all the UHDs people noted, and there are issues. However, I think they will be improved in a few FW updates.
If you want to play it safe you can wait for the future FW updates. No pressure as price doesn't change for Oppo.
It seems like it is about time for the next beta FW to come out with HDR slider (nit) function and other improvements.

Mike

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9902 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 05:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by per1971 View Post
Hi all !
I´m wonder about is the UDP-203 different in any way in Europe(unless the "B" region lock) ?
I´ve seen that the 103 and 105 models are "103EU" and "105EU" over here.
But the 203 seems to have the same spec as the region "A" one.
Is it only the power cord that are different ?
Will visit the US, and could pick one up for 50% of the cost over here.
As you suggested, out of the box the US model is region locked to DVD R1, Blu-ray Zone A and the menu runs in 60Hz mode. The EU model is region locked to DVD R2, Blu-ray Zone B and the menu runs at 50Hz.
You can buy external or internal hardware mods for around 100 Euro which will give you automatic region for DVD and manual zone selection for Blu-ray. The 50Hz/60Hz thing won't be a problem for you as all the European TVs are happy with either 50 or 60Hz.
The power lead is a standard IEC lead.

So essentially, no, there's no problem if you want to import a US one as long as you're prepared to include the expense of a region-free mod kit and possible import duties if you get stopped by customs.
post #9903 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertsbbc View Post
As you suggested, out of the box the US model is region locked to DVD R1, Blu-ray Zone A and the menu runs in 60Hz mode. The EU model is region locked to DVD R2, Blu-ray Zone B and the menu runs at 50Hz.
You can buy external or internal hardware mods for around 100 Euro which will give you automatic region for DVD and manual zone selection for Blu-ray. The 50Hz/60Hz thing won't be a problem for you as all the European TVs are happy with either 50 or 60Hz.
The power lead is a standard IEC lead.

So essentially, no, there's no problem if you want to import a US one as long as you're prepared to include the expense of a region-free mod kit and possible import duties if you get stopped by customs.
Thanks for the quick answer !
I was like I was hoping for.

//Per
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9904 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Maybe in 2 more years. There are kinks to be worked out on the 203 and OLED has a long way to go and would not want to buy LG anyways. See what Sony has to offer. Lots of problems with OLED and prices are still high.

Took plasma 8 years to get good with the first Kuro around 2007.

OLED is ahead of the game compared to plasma, but still don't want to buy LG as a only choice.
AFAIK Sony's OLED sets will be using LG panels, as will Panasonic's. FYI.
rossi46 and ti-triodes like this.

post #9905 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisGJ View Post
Is anyone able to get the 203 to work connected to an AVR rather than directly to the display? Thanks!
I'm running my 203 into a Denon AVR-X4200W, then on to my LG OLED65E6P. Works perfectly. No dropouts, no stuttering, no lockups. The only problem I've experienced so far is the 3D dropped frames issues, and Oppo has corrected that in the currently available beta firmware.

post #9906 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisGJ View Post
Is anyone able to get the 203 to work connected to an AVR rather than directly to the display? Thanks!
Hi
I am connected via inexpensive HS HDMI to Denon AVR. I had 0.5s audio drop outs when I jacked up picture settings to max 12 bit color, 4:4:4 ect... When I put all picture setting back to default with exception of UHD auto, the audio drop outs totally stopped.

Denon AVR X7200 WA 7.2.4
Samsung KS 9000 75"
Oppo UDP 203
Klipsch RF 7 II
Klipsch RC 64 II
SVS CS Ultra Cylinder sub X2 Crown K2
post #9907 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have the 203 hooked to a LG B6 with main cable,and the audio only cable hooked to a Denon 4200x. I get great surround from this set up. However, if I have the Denon "turned off" , I get no sound to the TV and sound bar. I have to unplug the audio only cable from the Oppo to get sound back to TV. I don't have this problem with cable or the Roku. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.
post #9908 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 08:16 AM

I mean a Denon AVR-X4200W.
post #9909 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphil View Post
I have the 203 hooked to a LG B6 with main cable,and the audio only cable hooked to a Denon 4200x. I get great surround from this set up. However, if I have the Denon "turned off" , I get no sound to the TV and sound bar. I have to unplug the audio only cable from the Oppo to get sound back to TV. I don't have this problem with cable or the Roku. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.
Do you have HDMI Passthrough enabled on the Denon for the input the 203 is connected to? Page 206 of the manual. I don't know if this is your issue but it might be worth a try.

post #9910 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 08:23 AM

Yes for cable/sat.
post #9911 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes for cable/sat.
It looks like you can only select one of the HDMI inputs for pass through. Have you tried changing the setting to the 203's input instead of CBL/SAT?

post #9912 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post
I have a JVC RS20. Likely installing my JVC RS520 tonight (when chief mount comes in).
I have the Oppo UDP-203 going through a Lumagen Radiance Pro with outputs to projector and to an old Denon AVR.
It works.
Other than slow HDMI handshakes, and the Lumagen notifications of a non HDCP 2.0 projector (and override) it is working.
I haven't tried all the UHDs people noted, and there are issues. However, I think they will be improved in a few FW updates.
If you want to play it safe you can wait for the future FW updates. No pressure as price doesn't change for Oppo.
It seems like it is about time for the next beta FW to come out with HDR slider (nit) function and other improvements.

Mike
Thank you. I agree that it may be wise to wait.
post #9913 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post
It looks like you can only select one of the HDMI inputs for pass through. Have you tried changing the setting to the 203's input instead of CBL/SAT?
Yes you're right. I tried setting it to Blu-Ray but still doesn't work. Thanks
post #9914 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
I've held off getting an Oppo for years. Mostly because I couldn't justify the expense. Instead I own an army of lesser Blu-ray players whose combined cost probably would have paid for an Oppo.

I just purchased a JVC RS 420. I would love to go with an Oppo rather then mess with a HD Fury and another player. I need to send SDR with WCG to the projector. I need the dual HDMI out because my receiver won't pass 4K video. And I need the HDMI in for my PS4 Pro because I only have two HDMI ports on the projector.

Now I'm ready to jump on an Oppo since on paper it checks all the boxes (other than including streaming apps) only to read about all the problems.

I've read all the threads but can't really come to a consensus on what problems I can expect with my configuration. If anyone with a similar setup would be willing to comment either here or via PM it would be greatly appreciated.
I got the Oppo from an early release e-mail, as I'd signed up months earlier. I also have been wanting one for quite a while, but settled on others. I made the decision, based on incredible reputation. That said, I haven't used it (only tested to make sure it was functional when it came in) because my theater room isn't built yet. My opinion, and hope, is that Oppo is working hard to remedy the issues with the player, and I believe that they will. Hopefully by the time I get my first home theater built... Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Equipment List: Theater - JVC DLA-X770R / Denon X4300H / Panasonic 820 4K BD Player / Polk Audio RTiA9 Towers / Polk CSiA6 Center / Polk 65RT (6), FXi5 (2) Atmos and Surrounds / (4) Polk PSW505 12" Subs / Black Flame Painted Screen Wall / Nvidia Shield TV / Dish Hopper 3 - 4K/ XBOX One S / Harmony Elite / Echo Dot / Tripp Lite UPS Backup / Furman Conditioner / App and Tap controlled Philips Hue Lighting / Monoprice Cabling
post #9915 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Same issue here with a onkyo ... and almost the time the HDMI CEC fails miserable. very frustrating. I sent a email again to support see what gives .... I will post as soon i get an answer.
post #9916 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 09:15 AM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:

For anyone who wants flawless playback on 99% of their discs - just wait another month and ask the question here again. Right now there are known issues and Oppo will probably have most of them fixed in about a month IMHO. I'm guessing you won't get any additional streaming apps anytime soon (if ever - I don't know if Oppo ever said there would be any additional ones).
post #9917 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazdsm View Post
Same issue here with a onkyo ... and almost the time the HDMI CEC fails miserable. very frustrating. I sent a email again to support see what gives .... I will post as soon i get an answer.
I sent an email again today too. My Roku is connected the same way as the Oppo, one cable to TV and audio cable to Denon, no problems, Thanks.
post #9918 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 09:48 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked: 2370
Quote:
I sent an email again today too. My Roku is connected the same way as the Oppo, one cable to TV and audio cable to Denon, no problems, Thanks.
There's a subtle, but very important difference there. With the Oppo, I presume you're using 2 HDMI connections (HDMI1 to the display for video, HDMI2 to the AVR for audio), while with the Roku I'll assume you're using HDMI to the display for video and Optical to the AVR for audio (as the Roku only has 1 HDMI output). If you used Optical or Coax digital audio from the Oppo to the AVR for audio, you would most likely find that the issue you're running into is resolved. Of course if you did that, you would lose some audio modes (no SACD audio, no Dolby TrueHD, no DTS HD Master Audio).

I don't use both HDMI outputs and I don't recall exactly what the UDP-203 is supposed to do with the audio for HDMI1 when using both HDMI outputs, but if the Oppo is supposed to mute audio on HDMI1 when it detects that HDMI2 is connected to something, the most likely problem here is that the AVR is keeping the HDMI input active such that the Oppo think's it's still connected even when the AVR is turned off. Of course, disconnecting the HDMI cable ensures that the Oppo enables audio on HDMI1 again.

There may be options in the AVR that you can turn off (such as HDMI preview that can give you thumbnails of what all the HDMI inputs currently have connected) so that the Oppo won't think the port is active when the AVR is either on a different input or turned off.

Another option could be to install a simple HDMI switch between the Oppo and the AVR; switch it to another input to break the connection between the Oppo and the AVR when you want audio on the Oppo's HDMI1 output.

Another option could be to see if Oppo can provide a feature to force audio to be enabled on HDMI1 even when it detects that HDMI2 is connected. This, of course, would require a firmware update in the Oppo.
post #9919 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
I have a similar setup. 203 to B6 and audio hdmi to denon 3311ci. I get sound to TV with denon off. Check you B6 sound settings and make sure HDMI is on in the B6 settings. The Oppo should be sending audio with video to your TV regardless of the state of the denon. (And turn off all that cec crap.)
post #9920 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 10:32 AM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 814
post #9921 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I don't use both HDMI outputs and I don't recall exactly what the UDP-203 is supposed to do with the audio for HDMI1 when using both HDMI outputs, but if the Oppo is supposed to mute audio on HDMI1 when it detects that HDMI2 is connected to something, the most likely problem here is that the AVR is keeping the HDMI input active such that the Oppo think's it's still connected even when the AVR is turned off. Of course, disconnecting the HDMI cable ensures that the Oppo enables audio on HDMI1 again.

This ^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9922 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I have the RS400 and previously had the Panny/Fury combo before replacing with the Oppo. While I prefer the Oppo overall - I am not a fan of what it does to the picture when stripping metadata, no matter what suggested setting changes I've tried. I've gotten it to look far better than using straight HDR mind you, but not nearly as good as the Panny/Fury strip combo. I simply turn HDR off on the 203 now. I'll keep experimenting when new firmware comes out (yes I'm up to date) and try new setting recommendations, but so far, just turning HDR to off produces the far superior UHD picture for my RS400. Over all the stripped output looks less vivid/saturated and the gamma looks "off" (too dark loss of shadow detail) no matter the settings.
post #9923 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 617
At C$849 plus delivery I think I will hold off until issues are eradicated. Excellent thread so far.

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
post #9924 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2372 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb442386 View Post
You are correct claw, however, when set to source direct, the 203 allows the tv(SonyX930D) in my case to do the scaling, which provides for much better PQ in my situation. Contacted Oppo & they are aware, & hope to correct via another firmware update.
I give up.
gaderson likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #9925 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Soon we will all have to upgrade again anyway!

http://hdmiforum.org/wp-content/uplo...17_English.pdf
Sure -- go ahead. (Though I'm sure you are joking.)

Most people don't know what 4K is. Most people have never heard of HDR. Most people wouldn't consider $550 for a player. No way is any technology standard going to lead to "improvements" that will DEMAND a change in our equipment requirements within the next few years (probably even up to 5 or more years).

Now yes, there are a few bleeders here who are already asking about the new HDMI 2.1 "features". Most don't even know what the standard(s) is(are) -- (so your post may help them with that ), but somehow they already "need" it. (Some are the same people who put out $20K on huge tv screens and will buy 77" OLED at $15k a pop. MOST just don't understand THAT either. Let alone have the means to pay for it.)

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #9926 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
I give up.
I posted this on 2/2. Much discussion since then. Relax!
post #9927 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dildatonr View Post
I have the RS400 and previously had the Panny/Fury combo before replacing with the Oppo. While I prefer the Oppo overall - I am not a fan of what it does to the picture when stripping metadata, no matter what suggested setting changes I've tried. I've gotten it to look far better than using straight HDR mind you, but not nearly as good as the Panny/Fury strip combo. I simply turn HDR off on the 203 now. I'll keep experimenting when new firmware comes out (yes I'm up to date) and try new setting recommendations, but so far, just turning HDR to off produces the far superior UHD picture for my RS400. Over all the stripped output looks less vivid/saturated and the gamma looks "off" (too dark loss of shadow detail) no matter the settings.
Thank you (and others for the feedback).

One other question...Is it possible to get similar results with the Oppo and Panasonic player using a HDFury? Meaning could I obtain a Oppo and Fury to get by until the Oppo improves? Has anyone tried this?
post #9928 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 97
What are folks' opinions on the BEST LOOKING 4K BD DISCS SO FAR for their 203 player?
I've heard raves for The Revenant, but other than that?
post #9929 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2275 Post(s)
Liked: 2574
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkusterb View Post
What are folks' opinions on the BEST LOOKING 4K BD DISCS SO FAR for their 203 player?
I've heard raves for The Revenant, but other than that?
My top so far are The Revenant, Lucy, Pacific Rim, and Sully.
post #9930 of 37533 Old 02-06-2017, 12:30 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5838 Post(s)
Liked: 8329
Quote:
Originally Posted by per1971 View Post
Hi all !
I´m wonder about is the UDP-203 different in any way in Europe(unless the "B" region lock) ?
I´ve seen that the 103 and 105 models are "103EU" and "105EU" over here.
But the 203 seems to have the same spec as the region "A" one.
Is it only the power cord that are different ?
Will visit the US, and could pick one up for 50% of the cost over here.

My first post in this excellent forum !

Kind Regards,

Per
Power cord is different, where to get warranty support is different, Region Lock for SD-DVDs is different. I think that's it at the moment. For the 10x family of players, there were also differences due to the Internet apps. But at present there are no Internet apps on the 203.

If you want to use a North American model in Europe, be advised it may be more difficult for you to get warranty service.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page