Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 334 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279380Likes

post #9991 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Had some major studdering with mine watching the Expendables in HDR tonight. I'm on the latest firmware.

Emotiva XMC-1 Pre/Pro Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 Emotiva A-300 Focal Aria 926 Floorstanders Focal Aria CC900 Centre Aperus Verdus Bipole Rears Martin Logan Dynamo 1500X x 2 Subwoofers Oppo UDP-203 BluRay Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Philips 65inch 7101/79 UHD LED Display
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9992 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post
Does anybody here use Oppo-203 connected to XMC-1 and from XMC-1 to display?

Do you see a difference in picture quality if 203 is connected directly to your display and when you use XMC-1 video pass through?

I have it connected to an XMC only for audio. Even though I have the HDMI 2.0 upgrade board I still connect the video directly to the TV since the XMC cannot yet pass HDR because it isn't HDMI 2.0a compliant. That's (hopefully) coming Q2 this year. So the difference I see is HDR vs no HDR. DVDs look the same either way.
post #9993 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 108
My first post here in this thread. Although I'm sure it has been said before I'll chime in here.

As a long term Oppo owner (current 103) I'm very disappointed with the lack of streaming capabilities for the 203. Probably going forward (unlike older disc formats) streaming will be the number one source of 4K material, not physical discs. At this point I want a player that offers everything under one roof.

For my current 103, about 95% of the time this player is on I am streaming something; their interface is tops in my book. I had a back and forth with Oppo about this a few weeks ago, and their thinking was the economics don't make sense, as their sales volumes make the content provider programming too expensive.

So I ponder on with the Samsung (an excellent player in its own right) and hope later this year streaming is added to the 203/205.
rossi46 likes this.

Projector/Screen: Sony VPL-VW285ES; Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electrol (92")
TV: LG OLED 65B6P
Amplification: Anthem MRX-1120; Aesthetix Mimas; Rogue Triton II
Sources: Pioneer UPD-LX500; Simaudio 260DT; Music Hall mmf-9.3; Goldring Eroica LX
Speakers: Wilson Yvette (L/R); Paradigm In-Walls (6); Hsu Research VTF-1 MK3 (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9994 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 06:02 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5838 Post(s)
Liked: 8332
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post
I've been watching quite a few 4k UHD Blu-rays the last week. I'm using the HDMI cord that came with the Oppo directly into my LG G6 & the 2nd HDMI output on the Oppo directly to my receiver.

When I start a movie & it goes to whichever companies logo you can hear it play the music & it shows Dolby TrueHD thru the receiver but it just shows a light grey screen.

When it goes to the next screen all the video & audio are fine for the rest of the setup of the movie & playing the movie.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Most 4K movies are playing pretty good. I have the occasional audio dropout. Maybe once a movie & I did have a freeze on Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children 4K movie last night. I had to power off the player & completely restart it. It was a brand new 4k Blu-ray so I'm not sure what caused the freeze.

Everything on auto in set-up except for UHD 60. Display shows Oppo is receiving 4:2:2 at 12 bit.
Check which firmware you are running: Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information. If the Main firmware version number does not end 1229, then you are not running the latest Official firmware, which included the fix for your gray screen at disc startup issue.
--Bob
galonzo likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #9995 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebo View Post
I have it connected to an XMC only for audio. Even though I have the HDMI 2.0 upgrade board I still connect the video directly to the TV since the XMC cannot yet pass HDR because it isn't HDMI 2.0a compliant. That's (hopefully) coming Q2 this year. So the difference I see is HDR vs no HDR. DVDs look the same either way.

Any sync issues splitting the video and audio to XMC-1?
post #9996 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteve View Post
My 203 played through "Rocky Mountain Express" in all it's 4K HDR glory without any complaints.
I watched this too. The picture and sound were awesome on the 203! The plot is interesting but not exciting. It should be included as reference material for the player and HDR format, imo.

Denon AVR X7200 WA 7.2.4
Samsung KS 9000 75"
Oppo UDP 203
Klipsch RF 7 II
Klipsch RC 64 II
SVS CS Ultra Cylinder sub X2 Crown K2
post #9997 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 333
streaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandx View Post
My first post here in this thread. Although I'm sure it has been said before I'll chime in here.

As a long term Oppo owner (current 103) I'm very disappointed with the lack of streaming capabilities for the 203. Probably going forward (unlike older disc formats) streaming will be the number one source of 4K material, not physical discs. At this point I want a player that offers everything under one roof.

For my current 103, about 95% of the time this player is on I am streaming something; their interface is tops in my book. I had a back and forth with Oppo about this a few weeks ago, and their thinking was the economics don't make sense, as their sales volumes make the content provider programming too expensive.

So I ponder on with the Samsung (an excellent player in its own right) and hope later this year streaming is added to the 203/205.
I do miss streaming on the 203.
So I will likely use my 103 to replace the 80 or 83 or Samsung 2550 elsewhere in my house.
Or sell the 103 at a good price because many people still want that functionality.
Realistically there are many streaming boxes that are cheap (eg Amazon Fire) and likely updated more and will be more functional than "add on" apps in a UDP/BR player.

Mike

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
post #9998 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Not to be rude, but if you are streaming 95% of time, why would you even consider the Oppo? It's a well-known fact that this Oppo doesn't support any streaming services.

I personally could care less. I never cared for streaming movies and I'm coming from an internet connection that averages 130mbps. Even with that speed, I still get 'buffering' wheels, frame/audio drops, and resolution degradation at times. I've tried them all and I'm simply not impressed.

Best picture for me comes from ripped blu-rays upscaled to 4K and UHD discs.

I believe, eventually, you could use a device like Roku/Amazon/etc with the HDMI in on the Oppo, but they are still working on getting that to pass UHD.
mbailey and StumpyBloke like this.

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
post #9999 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar75 View Post
Any sync issues splitting the video and audio to XMC-1?
Occasionally, but sync issues are being reported by others with different equipment so I don't believe it has anything to do with the way I have the Oppo connected. At any rate, that should be fixed with firmware from Oppo. My standard definition BD concerts have not exhibited any sync issues.
post #10000 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

Don't your TV offer streaming?

Oppo UDP-203, Anthem AVM50V 3D, Proceed Amp 3, B&K ST-125.2, Cary Audio 306/200, Apple TV 4K, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC Mk2 W Bridge2, Audeze LCD-2 F 2016, Mac Mini-Tidal HiFi/Roon, Apple iPad Pro/Roon Remote, Sony XBR65X930C, Sonus faber Luito Towers, Sonus faber Luito Monitors, Sonus faber Smart Center Channel, REL T2, Sony SWF-BR100W Wireless Subwoofer for 930C
post #10001 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have Ps4, Xbox, Shield tv and AmazonFire which all do better streaming than any disc player variant on the market. I don't want to pay extra for my Oppo just to have an inferior version of the same thing on it. If I prefer the scaling on the 203, that's what the HDMI input is for. I bought the Oppo because I wanted the best possible disc player. I bought the Shield because I wanted the best streamer and plex option (besides my HTPC).
post #10002 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by dildatonr View Post
I have Ps4, Xbox, Shield tv and AmazonFire which all do better streaming than any disc player variant on the market. I don't want to pay extra for my Oppo just to have an inferior version of the same thing on it. If I prefer the scaling on the 203, that's what the HDMI input is for. I bought the Oppo because I wanted the best possible disc player. I bought the Shield because I wanted the best streamer and plex option (besides my HTPC).

I could not like your post any better! Let Oppo concentrate on what they're best at...awesome hardware with the software that makes everything work.

When I watch Netflix/Amazon, I let my TV do the heavy lifting. I should get one of those streaming boxes though because that's what they're good at.
StumpyBloke and darknite9099 like this.

Oppo UDP-203, Anthem AVM50V 3D, Proceed Amp 3, B&K ST-125.2, Cary Audio 306/200, Apple TV 4K, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC Mk2 W Bridge2, Audeze LCD-2 F 2016, Mac Mini-Tidal HiFi/Roon, Apple iPad Pro/Roon Remote, Sony XBR65X930C, Sonus faber Luito Towers, Sonus faber Luito Monitors, Sonus faber Smart Center Channel, REL T2, Sony SWF-BR100W Wireless Subwoofer for 930C
post #10003 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post
Not to be rude, but if you are streaming 95% of time, why would you even consider the Oppo? It's a well-known fact that this Oppo doesn't support any streaming services.

I personally could care less. I never cared for streaming movies and I'm coming from an internet connection that averages 130mbps. Even with that speed, I still get 'buffering' wheels, frame/audio drops, and resolution degradation at times. I've tried them all and I'm simply not impressed.

Best picture for me comes from ripped blu-rays upscaled to 4K and UHD discs..
First point: I'm a firm believer in Oppo quality, so if I could pay a couple hundred dollars more to move up from my Samsung to the Oppo and not lose functionality I would do it.

Second point: Maybe the best picture quality comes from a physical disc, but IMHO the best 4K picture content comes from Amazon, Netflix, etc. Besides, most 4K blu-rays are up-sampled from 2K sources, whereas a show like "The Crown" is probably 4K all the way. For me, so far the best picture quality in 4K has come from streaming sources, not a disc. I have had none of the streaming issue you are describing. The picture quality I get from Netflix 4K is simply perfection.
boe and AidenL like this.

Projector/Screen: Sony VPL-VW285ES; Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electrol (92")
TV: LG OLED 65B6P
Amplification: Anthem MRX-1120; Aesthetix Mimas; Rogue Triton II
Sources: Pioneer UPD-LX500; Simaudio 260DT; Music Hall mmf-9.3; Goldring Eroica LX
Speakers: Wilson Yvette (L/R); Paradigm In-Walls (6); Hsu Research VTF-1 MK3 (2)
post #10004 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2279 Post(s)
Liked: 2584
Quote:
I am in the same boat. My PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, TV, and Shield all do 4K streaming but Android on my TV is horrendous and with the One S, I always get quality drops so I use the Shield for all Amazon, Vudu, and Netflix. It also ramps up to full quality faster than the other systems and the nice thing about the Shield is that it gets lots of app updates. This is thanks to it running Android whereas if Oppo were to have those apps, the updates would likely come much slower since they have to make custom builds specifically for that hardware using a custom OS.
post #10005 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb442386 View Post
Perhaps IMO, the very best post in this ENTIRE thread!
I especially liked the homage to Cole Porter.
post #10006 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Perhaps this has been mentioned, but I've spent a bit of time searching this forum with no real 'hit'. And, sorry about the verbosity, but it's usually better to provide as much information as possible up front!

I've had my BDP-203 since 12/31/16 and am overall quite pleased with its performance on disc play. It has the latest firmware installed (UDP20X-33-1229) and, by far, the bulk of settings are factory default.

The one area in which I am experiencing problems is in network playback of ripped DVD/BD discs.

Synopsis: server is Linux Mint 17.3 (Ubuntu 14.04), minidlna 1.1.2, media on RAID0 device, GB wired Ethernet throughout; using MakeMKV 1.10.4 to rip, Handbrake 1.0.2 to compress (preset Super HQ 1080p30 Surround). I also have files created with prior versions of almost everything preceding. [And don't jump on me for the compression part - I still use the discs for things which really 'matter' ]

Output video is direct to an LG 65UH8500 using a certified 18Gbps HDMI cable. Audio is going to a Denon 3808CI.

The issue is that playback, for quite a few 'served' movies, is noticeably jerky. A Western Digital WD TV Live unit (dating from 12/09) plays everything flawlessly. Of course the Oppo is upconverting to 4K and the WD has no idea that things like that exist, but both must handle the same processing prior to that step. The network path to the Oppo and WD is identical, separating only at the last GB switch that they share (and I've tried different ports and cable swaps there as well).

I haven't yet contacted Oppo since this thread has such a wealth of knowledgeable folks around and it would not surprise me to learn that there's a well-known solution!

Thanks,

Ed
post #10007 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2279 Post(s)
Liked: 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncSyncHalt View Post
Perhaps this has been mentioned, but I've spent a bit of time searching this forum with no real 'hit'. And, sorry about the verbosity, but it's usually better to provide as much information as possible up front!

I've had my BDP-203 since 12/31/16 and am overall quite pleased with its performance on disc play. It has the latest firmware installed (UDP20X-33-1229) and, by far, the bulk of settings are factory default.

The one area in which I am experiencing problems is in network playback of ripped DVD/BD discs.

Synopsis: server is Linux Mint 17.3 (Ubuntu 14.04), minidlna 1.1.2, media on RAID0 device, GB wired Ethernet throughout; using MakeMKV 1.10.4 to rip, Handbrake 1.0.2 to compress (preset Super HQ 1080p30 Surround). I also have files created with prior versions of almost everything preceding. [And don't jump on me for the compression part - I still use the discs for things which really 'matter' ]

Output video is direct to an LG 65UH8500 using a certified 18Gbps HDMI cable. Audio is going to a Denon 3808CI.

The issue is that playback, for quite a few 'served' movies, is noticeably jerky. A Western Digital WD TV Live unit (dating from 12/09) plays everything flawlessly. Of course the Oppo is upconverting to 4K and the WD has no idea that things like that exist, but both must handle the same processing prior to that step. The network path to the Oppo and WD is identical, separating only at the last GB switch that they share (and I've tried different ports and cable swaps there as well).

I haven't yet contacted Oppo since this thread has such a wealth of knowledgeable folks around and it would not surprise me to learn that there's a well-known solution!

Thanks,

Ed
Are you connecting via the DLNA protocol or SMB?

I have had bad luck trying to get DLNA to work properly with the Oppo but all of the files I have played from my Qnap NAS via SMB has been solid.
post #10008 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 09:54 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked: 4551
Quote:

Synopsis: server is Linux Mint 17.3 (Ubuntu 14.04), minidlna 1.1.2, media on RAID0 device, GB wired Ethernet throughout; using MakeMKV 1.10.4 to rip, Handbrake 1.0.2 to compress (preset Super HQ 1080p30 Surround).
I use exactly the same tools and serve both compressed and uncompressed MKV files. An old openSuSE server via wireless and and a new Arch linux desktop via wired. (Uncompressed Blu-ray is too much for wireless, at least in my configuration).

I test with minidlna and NFS, but normally use Samba for SMB on both servers.

Performance is good for me. For you: I think something must be up with your network, but diagnosing home networking is worse than dealing with HDMI problems.

You have problems with both DVD and Blu-ray? That is odd. All files, or only some?

Just to eliminate other possibilities, could you copy some of these problem files to local USB storage and play them directly on the OPPO?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #10009 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Are you connecting via the DLNA protocol or SMB?

I have had bad luck trying to get DLNA to work properly with the Oppo but all of the files I have played from my Qnap NAS via SMB has been solid.
Ah... DLNA... interesting. I can set up SMB without too much problem, so may give that a shot. Perhaps that would also explain why a seemingly-random set of files do not appear to the Oppo, but do to the WD.

Thank you for the quick reply!
post #10010 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Not exactly true that statement is it?
Fire TV can't do HDR.
None of the mentioned devices stream 4K 10bit in 24hz.
Samsung K8500 does both and that is a disk player.
post #10011 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
CINAVIA on MKV files

Please, has anybody confirmed that CINAVIA really affects MKV files ?

This would mean I need to keep using my BDP93

Thanks in advance !
post #10012 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
I use exactly the same tools and serve both compressed and uncompressed MKV files. An old openSuSE server via wireless and and a new Arch linux desktop via wired. (Uncompressed Blu-ray is too much for wireless, at least in my configuration).

I test with minidlna and NFS, but normally use Samba for SMB on both servers.

Performance is good for me. For you: I think something must be up with your network, but diagnosing home networking is worse than dealing with HDMI problems.

You have problems with both DVD and Blu-ray? That is odd. All files, or only some?

Just to eliminate other possibilities, could you copy some of these problem files to local USB storage and play them directly on the OPPO?

-Bill

I'll give copying to a USB key a try - good suggestion.

I've NOT tried SMB or NFS, though I could set up SMB without too much problem.

Thanks for the quick reply!
post #10013 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by afss_br View Post

Thanks in advance !
Yes I can really confirm that CINAVIA really does affect MKV files, even programs like DVDfab that really claim to remove CINAVIA don't always manage it and delete your posts on their forum when you complain about it.
There is already customization's to defeat CINAVIA on the 203 if you have the $.
post #10014 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 09:59 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked: 4551
Quote:
Originally Posted by afss_br View Post

Thanks in advance !
Sadly, yes. This well and truly confirmed.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #10015 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Does the 203 do vertical stretch on 3D Blurays?

It seems like the 93 didn't do it on all 3D Blurays and that it working depended on Java or something. If it does vertical stretch on frame packed content and works 100% of the time I might consider buying this.
post #10016 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
CINAVIA on MKV files

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Sadly, yes. This well and truly confirmed.

-Bill
Sad news, thanks for the reply.
post #10017 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
Fire TV can't do HDR.
The Shield can and is regularly updated, the PS4 Pro will likely be capable at some point (hardware is).

The main point being - the content out there which is 4k 10bit 24hz is slim at best, that isn't on a UHD disc anyways.

The vast majority of streaming content out there is well handled by the plethora of other decides out there. I'm pretty picking about my Plex gui - and I sure as heck turn my nose up to anything except the shield (besides my htpc) because I just can't tolerate even slightly lesser Plex versions.
post #10018 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 245
"I personally could care less. I never cared for streaming movies and I'm coming from an internet connection that averages 130mbps. Even with that speed, I still get 'buffering' wheels, frame/audio drops, and resolution degradation at times. I've tried them all and I'm simply not impressed."

I suggest you examine your network, I have several streaming devices in 4k, and a 103, and "never" get buffering or dropped , or stuttering sound, unless there is a service or network problem.

Cheers
dpippel and SamuraiXSendai like this.
post #10019 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
Fire TV can't do HDR.
New Amazon Fire TV box (avail 2/23) does 4k HDR...
SamuraiXSendai likes this.

Denon AVR X7200 WA 7.2.4
Samsung KS 9000 75"
Oppo UDP 203
Klipsch RF 7 II
Klipsch RC 64 II
SVS CS Ultra Cylinder sub X2 Crown K2
post #10020 of 37553 Old 02-07-2017, 10:49 AM

Copied a 6.3 GB .m4v to an NTFS-formatted USB 3.0 key... and saw exactly the same level of jerkiness as via the network (guess that does exonerate the network hw/sw, though). I tried changing the output resolution around some with no apparent change in video smoothness.

I'll also experiment with an uncompressed .mkv.

Thanks again.

Quote:
I'll give copying to a USB key a try - good suggestion.

I've NOT tried SMB or NFS, though I could set up SMB without too much problem.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page