Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 469 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 280434Likes

post #14041 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 251
I have a weird one but there is a definite pattern here. I have the current production firmware (UDP20X-38-0222) on my player and have noticed a new issue with anything Disney and their 3D discs. I purchased Doctor Strange 3D (Marvel / Disney), Moana 3D (Disney) and Rogue One 3D (Lucasfilm / Disney) and had a problem with each of these titles with the 3D disc. The key to the problem is popping in the 3D disc first. In other words don't put the regular Blu-Ray in first, put the 3D Disc in first. When I would do that I could select English on the first menu that Disney puts on all their discs. I would get the Main menu. I would select Play Movie from the main menu. Then Silence, the screen would go black, the player would do nothing. The 203 would not respond to transport controls from the remote. I would be forced to hold the Eject button to get the disc to eject. Now here is where it gets weird. If I put the regular non-3D Blu-ray in and do the same thing the movie plays just fine. I can eject that disc normally and everything is still fine. If I now pop in the 3D Blu-Ray disc in and go through the menus and press play movie it works just fine. Movie starts to play immediately and the transport controls work fine. Anybody else notice this? I wonder if anyone might be willing to erase persistent storage if you have already played the regular non 3D Blu-Ray and after that try sticking in the 3D disc and see if it hangs on you also. It's very weird.
AndreasM likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14042 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 56
There are others here with far more knowledge and experience than I, but, to provide one user's experience....

In terms of actual disc playing (DVD and Blu-ray only since I have no UHDs yet), I have, as, apparently many others, zero problems.

The primary issue I have experienced has been, again as reported by others, loss of synchronization at various times. These seem sporadic, but I've seen it with both disc play and network (local DLNA) streaming. I originally thought this was only related to the HDMI input, but, alas, it appears otherwise as well. It only seems to occur after an extended period of play (essentially the whole movie; happened a couple of nights ago at the end of Ex Machina).

Additionally, the 203 doesn't show the contents of some directories from my DLNA server, though NFS does (and so do other, much older, devices). Other than that, DLNA works perfectly (though that IS rather a bit of an issue).

Would I buy it again? Absolutely. I'm confident that these issues will eventually be resolved, and the audio and video from the player are absolutely wonderful for my use.

Hm... my 'handle' here, SyncSyncHalt, was originally derived from work with early Sun Microsystems machines, but now seems appropriate for the Hydra of HDMI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
I understand there are a few teething issues with the 203, are they mainly with uhd discs or with both uhd and regular blurays? I'm interested in buying one but for the foreseeable future will just play regular blurays and network files. thanks.
The Bogg likes this.
post #14043 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 04:13 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 5930 Post(s)
Liked: 8496
Quote:
Originally Posted by abilyeu View Post
I had a new glitch this week that I haven't seen any mention of here. I'm on the current beta firmware. While playing the Dr. Strange Blu-Ray (the regular disc, not the 3-D) I held down the button to see the extended info screen. When I scrolled down to see the output info it scrolled one line too far, so the output resolution did not show. (Actually, I could see it briefly as it scrolled, but it whipped by too fast to read.) Scrolling back up did the same thing, so output resolution was still not visible. Nothing I tried would make it work. After finishing the movie, I stopped the disc (going to the OPPO menu) and started it again, and this time the extended info screen scrolled properly and allowed me to see everything. The next day I watched the special features on the same disc and extended info was back to misbehaving. I wasn't too concerned about it, however, so I didn't spend much time trying to get it to work.

Watching the Passengers 4K disc later the extended info screen appeared to have some inconsistency in how far it scrolled, sometimes not scrolling as many lines as I thought it should, but it never scrolled too far and hid anything like Dr. Strange. Has anybody else experienced this?
This is a known issue. OPPO has it on the list, but I doubt they are treating it as a high priority item.
--Bob
galonzo and chi_guy50 like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14044 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 04:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bechtold View Post
I have a weird one but there is a definite pattern here. I have the current production firmware (UDP20X-38-0222) on my player and have noticed a new issue with anything Disney and their 3D discs. I purchased Doctor Strange 3D (Marvel / Disney), Moana 3D (Disney) and Rogue One 3D (Lucasfilm / Disney) and had a problem with each of these titles with the 3D disc. The key to the problem is popping in the 3D disc first. In other words don't put the regular Blu-Ray in first, put the 3D Disc in first. When I would do that I could select English on the first menu that Disney puts on all their discs. I would get the Main menu. I would select Play Movie from the main menu. Then Silence, the screen would go black, the player would do nothing. The 203 would not respond to transport controls from the remote. I would be forced to hold the Eject button to get the disc to eject. Now here is where it gets weird. If I put the regular non-3D Blu-ray in and do the same thing the movie plays just fine. I can eject that disc normally and everything is still fine. If I now pop in the 3D Blu-Ray disc in and go through the menus and press play movie it works just fine. Movie starts to play immediately and the transport controls work fine. Anybody else notice this? I wonder if anyone might be willing to erase persistent storage if you have already played the regular non 3D Blu-Ray and after that try sticking in the 3D disc and see if it hangs on you also. It's very weird.
This is a known issue -- apparently limited to Disney's 3D/Blu-ray discs. It actually appears to be quite random whether it happens, as opposed to whether you play another disc first.

The playback can hang when the player tries to play the first Warning slide after you select to Play the feature from Top Menu. The player can also hang when it tries to play the first Warning slide at the end of the feature -- prior to returning to top Menu. The symptoms are a black screen and time code 0 in the front panel. The player is not actually crashed. You can bring up on-screen Info for example and see it is stuck trying to play a 5 second Warning slide. But all disc navigation -- including Stop -- is blocked.

The Workaround is to Open the Tray using either the button on the Remote or the Front Panel. That will work (after a short delay). You don't have to hold the Tray button -- just press it once and be patient. If you were trying to play the disc, simply Close the Tray again and re-launch the disc.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #14045 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bechtold View Post
Had this issue with Doctor Strange 3D as well. Great, I'm planning on watching Star Wars Rogue One 3D tonight. Guess I need to prepare myself for another less-than-glitch-free experience with my Oppo *sigh*
I suppose as long as I can actually get the movie playing I'll try not to pause it and hope for the best. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Will report back with an update after watching...
post #14046 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 37
not sure if I'm missing something on the HDMI cable stress test?
According to Audioquest ("AQ") Cable is certified for 4K
"all AudioQuest HDMI cables up to 8 meters are guaranteed to exceed the requirements for all possible HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 data streams, including 4K UltraHD, HDR, and Blu-ray Ultra HD." Nothing mentioned on box of "Premium HDMI cert".
Denon AVRX4300H meets requirements of a 4K AVR.
OK, so am I reading the below "media info" and "HDMI output" correctly that I'm hitting 12 Bit 4:2:2 or am I only hitting 10 Bit?
AVR set for:
video conversion on
i/p Scaler HDMI
Resolution (HDMI) 4K 60/50
*also tried 4K

Audioquest "AQ" Forest 930D to Denon AVRX4300H (also "AQ" TOSLink). "AQ" Forest from Oppo to AVR
OPPO settings
Media Info
3840x2160/ YCbCr 4:2:0
10 bit
HDMI (main) output
3840x2160/ 4:2:2/ 12 bit

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65X930D/ Denon AVRX4300H/ Oppo UDP-203/ Def Tech BP7002 (L&R)/ " " Mythos 3 (C)/ " " BPX (SR)/ " " Supercube Trinity (sub)
post #14047 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 04:28 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawlman View Post
not sure if I'm missing something on the HDMI cable stress test?
According to Audioquest ("AQ") Cable is certified for 4K
"all AudioQuest HDMI cables up to 8 meters are guaranteed to exceed the requirements for all possible HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 data streams, including 4K UltraHD, HDR, and Blu-ray Ultra HD." Nothing mentioned on box of "Premium HDMI cert".
Denon AVRX4300H meets requirements of a 4K AVR.
OK, so am I reading the below "media info" and "HDMI output" correctly that I'm hitting 12 Bit 4:2:2 or am I only hitting 10 Bit?
AVR set for:
video conversion on
i/p Scaler HDMI
*also tried 4K

Audioquest "AQ" Forest 930D to Denon AVRX4300H (also "AQ" TOSLink). "AQ" Forest from Oppo to AVR
OPPO settings
Media Info
3840x2160/ YCbCr 4:2:0
10 bit
HDMI (main) output
3840x2160/ 4:2:2/ 12 bit

The Media Info is what's coming off the disc. For UHD/HDR discs that's 4K 4:2:0 10b.

The HDMI (Main) Output info is what's going out on the HDMI cable plugged into Main HDMI. So the OPPO is sending 4K 4:2:2 12b to you AVR in its current configuration.
--Bob
brawlman likes this.

post #14048 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 04:39 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncSyncHalt View Post
There are others here with far more knowledge and experience than I, but, to provide one user's experience....

In terms of actual disc playing (DVD and Blu-ray only since I have no UHDs yet), I have, as, apparently many others, zero problems.

The primary issue I have experienced has been, again as reported by others, loss of synchronization at various times. These seem sporadic, but I've seen it with both disc play and network (local DLNA) streaming. I originally thought this was only related to the HDMI input, but, alas, it appears otherwise as well. It only seems to occur after an extended period of play (essentially the whole movie; happened a couple of nights ago at the end of Ex Machina).
. . . .
What have you done to verify the correctness of A/V Sync in your setup?

The reason I ask is that MOST movies have some sync error -- and it usually varies by scenes. There are lots of reasons for this, but it often goes back to the way the original theatrical release was made.

Now most of the time, such inherent sync error is small enough that you won't notice it. But if you've got some sync error in your setup, and if it happens to be in the same direction, the combo can make the inherent error in the movie noticeable. And since the inherent error in the movie likely varies by scenes, the error will become noticeable only in some scenes. Indeed in some scenes, the error in the movie might counter the error in your setup.

So you want to get sync "right" in your setup, which maximizes the chances that the (usually small) inherent error in the movies you watch won't be noticeable -- regardless of the direction.

To do that, you have to test with content of known sync "correctness". Which means a calibration disc. There are good A/V Sync charts on Disney's "WOW World of Wonder", Blu-ray, and on "Spears & Munsil v2", Blu-ray.

Sync error happens due to video processing time. (Audio processing takes no time at all in comparison.) What THIS means is that when checking/adjusting A/V Sync in your setup you need to be sure you are sending the same type of video down your video chain that you'll actually be using when viewing.

For example, it's actually quite common for a TV to take more time to process /24 video than /60 video. And it wouldn't be surprising for a TV to take more time processing 4K video than 1080p video. So if you are going to use 4K/24 video to your TV for movie watching, then that's also what you want to use when checking/adjusting A/V Sync with the calibration disc.
--Bob

post #14049 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The Media Info is what's coming off the disc. For UHD/HDR discs that's 4K 4:2:0 10b.

The HDMI (Main) Output info is what's going out on the HDMI cable plugged into Main HDMI. So the OPPO is sending 4K 4:2:2 12b to you AVR in its current configuration.
--Bob
Thx Bob

Sony XBR65X930D/ Denon AVRX4300H/ Oppo UDP-203/ Def Tech BP7002 (L&R)/ " " Mythos 3 (C)/ " " BPX (SR)/ " " Supercube Trinity (sub)
post #14050 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 249
HDMI In still not working for Uverse receiver with surround sound. Going back to stereo.

Meridian Audio G65 Sound Processor/UHD 722 HDMI Audio Processor/M6 Active Speakers, Sony A1E 65" OLED 4k UHD, Apple TV, Sony UBP-X1100ES
post #14051 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
AVR set for:
video conversion on
i/p Scaler HDMI
*also tried 4K

It just me. But I would recommend you to try turning off the Video Conversion and the I/P Scaler on the Denon.
So that 'pure' signal is pass through from Oppo to TV without any additional video processing done by the AVR.
Do note that this setting only affects the selected input on the AVR. Eg CBL/ SAT, Blu-ray etc. Thus you may have to repeat the settings for other connected inputs.
You will loose the on-TV display. Eg Volume Display. if you switch off the Video Conversion.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
galonzo likes this.

HT: Sony 55X93D | Denon AVR-X6200W | Anthony Gallo Strada 2 | A'Diva SE | SVS SB-2000 | Oppo UDP-203 |

PC: Teac AI-301DA | Mirage Nano Sat | Ken Kreisel DXD-808 |
post #14052 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 06:25 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abilyeu View Post
I had a new glitch this week that I haven't seen any mention of here.
, , , ,
Forgot to mention, you can view that "missing" output resolution info using the regular on-screen Info display -- and faster than scrolling through the Extended Info display.

Press and release Info button to bring up the regular, 2 line display. Press Page Up or Page Down (not the Arrow buttons) to change what's displayed. The left side of the bottom line will now show you what's going out on Main HDMI Output.
--Bob
whitey019, chi_guy50 and rbphelan like this.

post #14053 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
This is a known issue -- apparently limited to Disney's 3D/Blu-ray discs. It actually appears to be quite random whether it happens, as opposed to whether you play another disc first.

The playback can hang when the player tries to play the first Warning slide after you select to Play the feature from Top Menu. The player can also hang when it tries to play the first Warning slide at the end of the feature -- prior to returning to top Menu. The symptoms are a black screen and time code 0 in the front panel. The player is not actually crashed. You can bring up on-screen Info for example and see it is stuck trying to play a 5 second Warning slide. But all disc navigation -- including Stop -- is blocked.

The Workaround is to Open the Tray using either the button on the Remote or the Front Panel. That will work (after a short delay). You don't have to hold the Tray button -- just press it once and be patient. If you were trying to play the disc, simply Close the Tray again and re-launch the disc.
--Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Barthel View Post
Had this issue with Doctor Strange 3D as well. Great, I'm planning on watching Star Wars Rogue One 3D tonight. Guess I need to prepare myself for another less-than-glitch-free experience with my Oppo *sigh*
I suppose as long as I can actually get the movie playing I'll try not to pause it and hope for the best. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Will report back with an update after watching...
@Bob
Good to know it is a known issue. However the workaround of opening the tray and reloading the disc still results in the "locked" movie. But since loading the non 3D version all is well anytime I pop in the 3D versions so far. So for Disney 3D I need to put in the non 3D Blu-Ray in first and I will have no issues. (So far).

@Jeff
Your movies should play fine. Granted I have not played any of these movies in 3D form from beginning to end, but I did play the regular Blu-Ray of Doctor Strange and Moana and they were glitch free and sync was perfect to me. So you should be fine.
post #14054 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 07:08 PM

So my experience playing Star Wars Rogue One 3D this evening...

Powered my system up... oops, forgot I was going to reseat the HDMI cables before watching another disc. Ah well, went ahead and reached behind the player to do so for both HDMI audio and video connections. I did not remove them, only pressed firmly to make sure they were fully plugged in. Got a distortion on the display. The Oppo Home screen lost signal and I had to cycle the power on the 203. Ok, no biggie. I should have done so before powering up to begin with.

Put the Star Wars Rogue One 3D disc in the Oppo and pressed the close button on the unit. Oops, forgot to clean the disc. Ah well, press on. Hit enter on the remote to select English, then again on the main menu to begin play. After that, I didn't touch or adjust any settings other than the volume on my receiver remote; not even the Info button. Results?

I'll be damned if the movie didn't play all the way through!

And there was much rejoicing!
post #14055 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked: 6076
Quote:

Powered my system up... oops, forgot I was going to reseat the HDMI cables before watching another disc. Ah well, went ahead and reached behind the player to do so for both HDMI audio and video connections. I did not remove them, only pressed firmly to make sure they were fully plugged in. Got a distortion on the display. The Oppo Home screen lost signal and I had to cycle the power on the 203. Ok, no biggie. I should have done so before powering up to begin with.

Put the Star Wars Rogue One 3D disc in the Oppo and pressed the close button on the unit. Oops, forgot to clean the disc. Ah well, press on. Hit enter on the remote to select English, then again on the main menu to begin play. After that, I didn't touch or adjust any settings other than the volume on my receiver remote; not even the Info button. Results?

And Hosannas were heard in the land!
muzz likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #14056 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Watched Doctor Strange 3D - no problems. Watched Rogue One 3D - no problems. Watched Captain America: Civil War 3D - no problems. Watched Guardians of the Galaxy 3D - zero problems. Watched On Dangerous Ground - zero problems. Watched Key Largo - zero problems.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

muzz, Bob Fosse, galonzo and 2 others like this.

post #14057 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahduck View Post
It just me. But I would recommend you to try turning off the Video Conversion and the I/P Scaler on the Denon.
So that 'pure' signal is pass through from Oppo to TV without any additional video processing done by the AVR.
Do note that this setting only affects the selected input on the AVR. Eg CBL/ SAT, Blu-ray etc. Thus you may have to repeat the settings for other connected inputs.
You will loose the on-TV display. Eg Volume Display. if you switch off the Video Conversion.

What is the sole purpose of the video conversion?
i/p Scaler makes sense.
Played Rogue One Bluray and upscaled is pretty clear but touch grainy...
Oppo video set to:
Output resolution- custom
Custom resolution-UHD Auto
Color Space-Auto
Color Depth-Auto
Still having intermittent handshake issues that clear with power cycle of Oppo (TV to Avr. AVR to Oppo) Audioquest forest HDMI cables

post #14058 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2400 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
Quote:

I've often read the advice that all equipment should be powered down before inserting or removing HDMI cables. I must admit that I frequently ignore that warning out of sheer laziness and have yet to pay the price. But your experience shows that due caution is merited.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; TiVo Roamio Pro/DarbeeVision DVP 5000S; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H; Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55X950G,
Sony UBP-X800, TiVo Mini/DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #14059 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Got my 203 today and watched the first 2 episodes of Planet Earth II and it was impressive.

I have a question; There is a setting under Video Output Setup -> HDR Setting -> Target Luminance that is defaulted to 300 nits. For my Sony XBR65X930E does anyone have a suggestion as to what this should be set to? The description states "Optimize HDR to SDR conversion by setting the conversion target luminance to match your TV or projector."

Are there any suggestions for other changes to the default configuration recommended?

I did notice one issue, not while playing a disc, with using my Roku through the HDMI input. The audio and video were out of sync by a noticeable amount. I have the Roku Ultra connected to the HDMI input on the OPPO, and the OPPO HDMI main connected to HDMI 2 on my TV. HDMI 3 on the TV runs to my AVR and handles the sound.
post #14060 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 07:56 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 4820 Post(s)
Liked: 4769
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjd View Post
Got my 203 today and watched the first 2 episodes of Planet Earth II and it was impressive.

I have a question; There is a setting under Video Output Setup -> HDR Setting -> Target Luminance that is defaulted to 300 nits. For my Sony XBR65X930E does anyone have a suggestion as to what this should be set to? The description states "Optimize HDR to SDR conversion by setting the conversion target luminance to match your TV or projector."

Are there any suggestions for other changes to the default configuration recommended?
You have an HDR display so you do not need to convert to SDR; that adjustment is not relevant in your case.

Set HDR to ON or Auto.

-Bill
galonzo and bluemoon737 like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #14061 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
You have an HDR display so you do not need to convert to SDR; that adjustment is not relevant in your case.

Set HDR to ON or Auto.

-Bill
Thank you sir
post #14062 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
What is the sole purpose of the video conversion?
i/p Scaler makes sense.
Played Rogue One Bluray and upscaled is pretty clear but touch grainy...
Oppo video set to:
Output resolution- custom
Custom resolution-UHD Auto
Color Space-Auto
Color Depth-Auto
Still having intermittent handshake issues that clear with power cycle of Oppo (TV to Avr. AVR to Oppo) Audioquest forest HDMI cables

http://denon.custhelp.com/app/answer...-video-scaling

1. Video Conversion.
More to convert older generation composite or components connections to output to HDMI.
Also overlays the AVR information eg. Volume, input / output signal / speaker info.

2. As Denon mentioned for IP scaling.
It breaks down the video resolution and reformatting to higher resolution.
So if you enable IP scaling, you won't know whether will the AVR break down the original 4K video from Oppo and re-upscale again using its own processor back to 4K again.

I may be wrong, but this is how I comprehend.

brawlman likes this.

HT: Sony 55X93D | Denon AVR-X6200W | Anthony Gallo Strada 2 | A'Diva SE | SVS SB-2000 | Oppo UDP-203 |

post #14063 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello, my current FW is 33-1229. I would like to try latest beta 41-0317B. But I would like to make sure that I can roll back to 33-1229 or I can only roll back to 38-0222 as recent official release.
post #14064 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjd View Post
Thank you sir
What FW do you have installed on the Oppo if you don't mind me asking?

The current beta FW release notes say it "improves" AV lip sync issue with the HDMI In. A couple have confirmed the fix, but with cable/sat boxes connected to the HDMI in. I like you have a Roku Ultra. I recently had knee surgery so I haven't had a chance to install the beta FW yet.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR-75X940D -- Marantz AV8802A -- Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tribute Towers -- Paradigm Studio v5 CC590 --
Paradigm Studio v5 ADP590 (4) surrounds -- Cambridge Audio Azure 840W for Front R&L -- Onkyo TX-NR906 for Center and all Surrounds :( but it works --
Oppo UDP-203 -- Roku Ultra -- DirecTv HR54 DVR
post #14065 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwinterberg View Post
I had an interesting A/V synch issue this weekend watching The Martian, Extended Edition. The A/V synch was fine in the beginning of the movie but near the end the audio and video was out of synch. I used the previous chapter command and the A/V synch was restored. This was the first UHD disc that I had noticed this with.

I am running the -0317B firmware.

I wrote to Oppo and reported this. Oppo asked me how I had my cables connected to my projector. I am using the main Oppo HDMI out directly to the HDMI1 input on my Epson 5040. The Oppo's secondary HDMI is connected to my Pre/Pro. The Pre/Pro is then connected to the Epson's HDMI2 input. Oppo asked me if I still got the A/V out-of-synch issue if the Pre/Pro is not connected to the projector.

I have not been able to run the comparison but Oppo seems to suspect something.
Quote:
What have you done to verify the correctness of A/V Sync in your setup?

The reason I ask is that MOST movies have some sync error -- and it usually varies by scenes. There are lots of reasons for this, but it often goes back to the way the original theatrical release was made.

Now most of the time, such inherent sync error is small enough that you won't notice it. But if you've got some sync error in your setup, and if it happens to be in the same direction, the combo can make the inherent error in the movie noticeable. And since the inherent error in the movie likely varies by scenes, the error will become noticeable only in some scenes. Indeed in some scenes, the error in the movie might counter the error in your setup.

So you want to get sync "right" in your setup, which maximizes the chances that the (usually small) inherent error in the movies you watch won't be noticeable -- regardless of the direction.

To do that, you have to test with content of known sync "correctness". Which means a calibration disc. There are good A/V Sync charts on Disney's "WOW World of Wonder", Blu-ray, and on "Spears & Munsil v2", Blu-ray.

Sync error happens due to video processing time. (Audio processing takes no time at all in comparison.) What THIS means is that when checking/adjusting A/V Sync in your setup you need to be sure you are sending the same type of video down your video chain that you'll actually be using when viewing.

For example, it's actually quite common for a TV to take more time to process /24 video than /60 video. And it wouldn't be surprising for a TV to take more time processing 4K video than 1080p video. So if you are going to use 4K/24 video to your TV for movie watching, then that's also what you want to use when checking/adjusting A/V Sync with the calibration disc.
--Bob
I have experienced the exact same phenomenon.

Bob as per my post above, Oppo suspects that there may be an issue if there are two HDMI paths from the -203 to the display.

My -203 audio only HDMI goes to my Pre/Pro. The Pre/Pro has my cable box also input to it. The Pre/Pro HDMI output is connected to my display's secondary HDMI input.

Oppo asked that I repeat my Martian viewing without the Pre/Pro connection to my projector. I have not yet been able to run the test. If SynchSynch has a similar cabling configuration, he could try and disconnect the second HDMI cable to his display.
post #14066 of 38854 Old 04-05-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruijinlu View Post
Hello, my current FW is 33-1229. I would like to try latest beta 41-0317B. But I would like to make sure that I can roll back to 33-1229 or I can only roll back to 38-0222 as recent official release.
You can only roll back to 0222 if you wanna try out 0317B.
If you want to roll back to 1229, the only beta you can use is 0215B.

post #14067 of 38854 Old 04-06-2017, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post
Watched Doctor Strange 3D - no problems. Watched Rogue One 3D - no problems. Watched Captain America: Civil War 3D - no problems. Watched Guardians of the Galaxy 3D - zero problems. Watched On Dangerous Ground - zero problems. Watched Key Largo - zero problems.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Do you ever tire of posting right after owners have a legitimate issue, just to seemingly rub it in? Are you so insecure you need to defend the product you bought?

I also have my doubts you have never had a problem, hell even Oppo acknowledges the problems you never have... Good show though.
auronihilist likes this.
post #14068 of 38854 Old 04-06-2017, 04:37 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruijinlu View Post
Public Beta firmware releases, such as 0317B, allow you to roll back to the most recent Official release, but not to firmware earlier than that.
--Bob
galonzo likes this.

post #14069 of 38854 Old 04-06-2017, 04:38 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Do you ever tire of posting right after owners have a legitimate issue, just to seemingly rub it in? Are you so insecure you need to defend the product you bought?

I also have my doubts you have never had a problem, hell even Oppo acknowledges the problems you never have... Good show though.
I've lost track, what problems are you having with your OPPO 203 at the moment?
--Bob
htwaits, smurraybhm and deckarep like this.

post #14070 of 38854 Old 04-06-2017, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Not meaning to put words in his mouth, but I think his point is, that for every one of us having problems, there are those out there who aren't having problems and he wants to balance out the "problem" comments with "problem-free" comments. Aside from that, I'm trying to figure out how his post adds to the discussion.

https://www.cartoonstock.com/directo...ation_bias.asp
dianebrat and richlife like this.

Last edited by Jeff Barthel; 04-06-2017 at 05:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page