Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 53 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279158Likes

post #1561 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
I can hear it on the SALT UHD. You hear it on all discs, even Blu-ray and DVD?

I can easily believe different discs will have different spin patterns and different noise levels.

-Bill
UHD discs are definitely worse and it seems to be the start of the disc that is the loudest as well, i've currently got Suicide Squad on and it's an hour and 10 mins into it and I can't hear it now really, nowhere near as loud as i could when it started. I could hear it on The Force Awakens bluray earlier as well but it wasn't too bad on that to be fair

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I don't think the issue has anything to do with cables. It's the initial startup of the player and playing a UHD movie. I have tested my player with 2 premium certified cables and the issue is exactly the same. I start the player up, and the OPPO menu displays with no issue. Put in a UHD disc, and the screen goes grey, and no image occurs until the main menu of the movie appears. However, if I eject the movie, and play another UHD movie, the screen does not turn grey. The player works as it should. I have ejected and played 5 other UHD movies afterwards, and no problems. Now if I turn off player, start it back up, the issue reappears. The first movie produces a grey screen, until movie menu appears. All other UHD movies afterwards have no issues. My guess it's the initial handshake that causes issues.
I just set up my Oppo and found exactly the same thing you did. Using Denon 6200 and Sony Z9D. This does not happen with my Panasonic 4k HDR player.

Sony XBR-65Z9D
Oppo UDP-203 4K BD Player
Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K BD Player
Denon AVR-X6400H
post #1563 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1811 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
No, because for some reason, my DirecTV box connected to the HDMI port on the back of the player, creates a audio sync issue. I have no such issue with it connected to my 103D. So there are some bugs that need to be worked out on the 203.
Irrespective of the audio sync, how does the picture look?

NAD 758 v3 with Dirac 7.4.4 + Rotel 976 + Panamax M5300-PM
Paradigm Prestige 75F's + 55C; 8x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
DIY MBMs: VRK Build thread + 2x Rotel 981 (bridged)
Sub: 2x Rythmik LVX12 + MiniDSP
DIY Room Treatments: Dutch Floral Prints
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1564 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5399 Post(s)
Liked: 3821
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
Irrespective of the audio sync, how does the picture look?
The picture looks really good. If they can fix the sync issue, I will be routing my DirecTV box through the player.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #1565 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 02:28 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4642 Post(s)
Liked: 4492
Quote:
Originally Posted by zAndy12 View Post
UHD discs are definitely worse and it seems to be the start of the disc that is the loudest as well, i've currently got Suicide Squad on and it's an hour and 10 mins into it and I can't hear it now really, nowhere near as loud as i could when it started. I could hear it on The Force Awakens bluray earlier as well but it wasn't too bad on that to be fair
I had a post on the changing spin noise earlier. UHD, like all optical discs, has a variable spin rate, faster at the hub and slower at the rim. The title is noisy at the beginning because the laser is at the hub. On a dual-layer disc the spin will slow down as the movie proceeds, then speed up again in the second half until the laser is back at the hub. A triple-layer disc will presumably have more complex behavior.

UHD is noisier because the disc spins faster to get the data off.

Again: expect future firmware to adjust this.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #1566 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevastos View Post
Has anyone tried if the 103 region free mod works with the 203?
Would like to know this too
post #1567 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
This is quite disappointing to read the initial problems with the Oppo stripping HDR. I'm another here who bought the Oppo for just that feature!
I wonder if I'll end up having to use my Panny UHD player instead (if it does better mapping to SDR).
I also bought Oppo to strip HDR and still use BT2020 to my JVC RS-400 projector. I hope Oppo will fix this issue soon. Meanwhile, I will watch UHD movies on my Panny+HDFury setup.
post #1568 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6052
Sweetwater Winter Variety Pack on ice and this on deck, time to stop experimenting and time to start enjoying!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0051.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	1835057  
kemac and Piddy Da Don like this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
DP-UB420 / ATV4K (3) / PS Vue
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #1569 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
That's interesting. Well, the Oppo already maps rec2020 HDR to rec709 SDR very nicely.

One would hope they could map rec2020 HDR to rec2020 SDR as well as Panasonic has been able to (albeit with prodding via a Fury sending a custom EDID info set to the Panasonic). It sure seems like that is what they INTENDED to do with this experimental feature. We can see they have the horsepower to transform rec2020 to rec709 already built in and working correctly. And they have the horsepower to transform HDR to SDR already built in, and working correctly. So one would think they have the right controls at their finger tips, and several people that understand the math involved.
My guess is that "HDR off" just makes the playback fall back to the SDR Bt.709 version, just like a non-HDR capable player would do. It basically behaves as if the TV does not indicate support for HDR10, and that is a prescripted and tested for case in the UHD Blu-ray specification, AFAIK.
AidenL and Operon like this.
post #1570 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So I wonder if the 203 will cooperate more with my now nine year old Yamaha RX-V3800 receiver (audio only, of course).

The Yammy still has trouble with my BPD-93 but less than it did before now that I have a Vizio 4K TV in the mix.

Anyone here successfully using this modern player (for audio) with a much older AVR?

I realize my AVR will need an update at some point but now that multi-channel analog inputs are on the decline, I am concerned about being able to playback my high-resolution audio still.

The AVR is also usually the component with the biggest price tag so it will still be out of my reach for a while.
post #1571 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Some advice/help: I decided to hook my Samsung cable box to the HDMI input on the Oppo. I chose the HDMI input after pushing the input button. However I get no video or audio. Can't figure out what to next. Read the manual and seem to be doing everything correctly. Any suggestions?
post #1572 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus View Post
My guess is that "HDR off" just makes the playback fall back to the SDR Bt.709 version, just like a non-HDR capable player would do. It basically behaves as if the TV does not indicate support for HDR10, and that is a prescripted and tested for case in the UHD Blu-ray specification, AFAIK.
AFAIK there is no SDR 709 version on the disc. The player converts on the fly. That said, the math for that conversion, and the meta data for it, may be better defined and understood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdryyz View Post
So I wonder if the 203 will cooperate more with my now nine year old Yamaha RX-V3800 receiver (audio only, of course).

The Yammy still has trouble with my BPD-93 but less than it did before now that I have a Vizio 4K TV in the mix.

Anyone here successfully using this modern player (for audio) with a much older AVR?

I realize my AVR will need an update at some point but now that multi-channel analog inputs are on the decline, I am concerned about being able to playback my high-resolution audio still.

The AVR is also usually the component with the biggest price tag so it will still be out of my reach for a while.
If you use analog output on the Oppo and analog input on the AVR, that should work 100% of the time.

You won't want to play the HDMI video out through that AVR because at best you'll just get regular blu ray quality and at worst you'll have hdcp issues. If that is your plan, stick with an older Oppo.

You might be okay with HDMI audio into that receiver if you set HDMI audio to PCM and limit it to 24bit/48kHz. (I don't recall whether this new oppo has the ability to set that output limit for multichannel PCM.)

You could pick up a new receiver, last year's models, with all the latest bells and whistles, and analog inputs, for about the price of an Oppo, if you shop around. But that's off topic here, so I have tried to answer your questions without suggesting you replace the receiver.
post #1573 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Not sure if it's been asked. But can you stretch 4k discs vertically for us using an anamorphic lens setup?
post #1574 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 03:17 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5833 Post(s)
Liked: 8309
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbquart View Post
Not sure if it's been asked. But can you stretch 4k discs vertically for us using an anamorphic lens setup?
Yes it has been asked, and yes you can.
--Bob
sbquart likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #1575 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Yes it has been asked, and yes you can.
--Bob
Awesome Thanks!
post #1576 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Source View Post
2. Im getting random frame rate dips, seems to clip one frame. I can confirm this on standard Blu-ray and UHD formats. At first I thought it was when scenes were ending, and a new frame / scene was loading in (so to speak), but no. I get random frame rate dips, roughly every 30 to 60 seconds.
I am seeing the same thing. I thought it was just me but it is just like you described. It is like it's dropping a frame. The pic stutters for just a sec then resumes normally.
post #1577 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 03:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemathre View Post
I checked the setup on the Harmony. It had a page that asked "What input or channel does you Oppo UDP 203 need to be on?" I had selected HDMI in back during the initial setup. I changed it to Bluray player and the problem has gone away. As Bob said, probably an old 103 command was causing the issue. It is really great having Bob as a resource on all of the OPPO threads.
We here at "Bob Pariseau" thank you for your kind words!
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #1578 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 03:25 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJArciola, III View Post
Some advice/help: I decided to hook my Samsung cable box to the HDMI input on the Oppo. I chose the HDMI input after pushing the input button. However I get no video or audio. Can't figure out what to next. Read the manual and seem to be doing everything correctly. Any suggestions?
Press Info button on the OPPO Remote and see if the on-screen Info gets displayed. If so, your video output to your display from the 203 is working, and the Info lines will tell you what's coming in from the cable box. Check that it is what you expect.

When selecting the Input on the 203, make sure you are not accidentally selecting the ARC line instead of the HDMI Input line. You can also see this in the text on the Front Panel display.

--Bob

post #1579 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbutler68 View Post
I am seeing the same thing. I thought it was just me but it is just like you described. It is like it's dropping a frame. The pic stutters for just a sec then resumes normally.
Are you just using one cable? If you can, send video directly to tv, and use the audio out port directly to the avr.

post #1580 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks for the suggestions!

I have already tried most of them, however. Going all analog would bypass my receiver's EQ settings. Although, for music playback (DVD-audio, SACD and even BD audio) this is a desired feature. For movies, not so much.

I've no intention of using the AVR's HDMI for video when I can just send it directly to the 4K TV's input. It is really about how backward compatible the new player's audio stream will be with an old receiver. Specifically, with Blu-Ray and UHD discs with legacy audio formats. Even when playing a standard Blu-Ray on the new Oppo, I am sure there's a lot more metadata in the stream that could cause havoc on an old AVR.

I might revisit switching to PCM audio on my 93. I do not recall if I tried limiting it or not.

Going with last year's AVRs for multi-channel analogs would have been an option but now that HDMI 2.0a is needed for HDR, I would lose out on future support for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

If you use analog output on the Oppo and analog input on the AVR, that should work 100% of the time.

You won't want to play the HDMI video out through that AVR because at best you'll just get regular blu ray quality and at worst you'll have hdcp issues. If that is your plan, stick with an older Oppo.

You might be okay with HDMI audio into that receiver if you set HDMI audio to PCM and limit it to 24bit/48kHz. (I don't recall whether this new oppo has the ability to set that output limit for multichannel PCM.)

You could pick up a new receiver, last year's models, with all the latest bells and whistles, and analog inputs, for about the price of an Oppo, if you shop around. But that's off topic here, so I have tried to answer your questions without suggesting you replace the receiver.

Last edited by jdryyz; 12-16-2016 at 04:03 PM.
post #1581 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Are you just using one cable? If you can, send video directly to tv, and use the audio out port directly to the avr.
I can test that tomorrow although it would not be my ideal set up. One thing I noticed was my player arrived yesterday and my cables that I ordered weren't coming in until today so I stopped by last night and bought a 4k cable from Best Buy that said it was 18 gig but not certified. My certified Monoproce cables came in today and I swapped that cable out and it seems a lot less noticeable. Also, as I stated in another post the Oppo was set on auto and outputting 12b 4:2:2. Could it be a bandwidth issue? my cables are all 6 feet or less. Would setting the Oppo to 10b lower the bandwidth?
post #1582 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can test that tomorrow although it would not be my ideal set up. One thing I noticed was my player arrived yesterday and my cables that I ordered weren't coming in until today so I stopped by last night and bought a 4k cable from Best Buy that said it was 18 gig but not certified. My certified Monoproce cables came in today and I swapped that cable out and it seems a lot less noticeable. Also, as I stated in another post the Oppo was set on auto and outputting 12b 4:2:2. Could it be a bandwidth issue? my cables are all 6 feet or less. Would setting the Oppo to 10b lower the bandwidth?
I have noticed with some of the high speed cables, sending both audio and video on the same cable can tax it and sometimes cause frame drops, audio drops, etc. You could also try setting the OPPO to LPCM instead of bitstream. I would leave it at 12 bits. Any HDMI cable with work for audio from player to AVR, so you won't need another high speed cable.
Bigmoviefan likes this.

post #1583 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I have noticed with some of the high speed cables, sending both audio and video on the same cable can tax it and sometimes cause frame drops, audio drops, etc. You could also try setting the OPPO to LPCM instead of bitstream. I would leave it at 12 bits. Any HDMI cable with work for audio from player to AVR, so you won't need another high speed cable.
Cables aren't a problem, I ordered a few extra. I am going to watch a movie tonight and see how it does. If I still notice it I will give the 2 cable option a shot. Thank you for your help.
post #1584 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Press Info button on the OPPO Remote and see if the on-screen Info gets displayed. If so, your video output to your display from the 203 is working, and the Info lines will tell you what's coming in from the cable box. Check that it is what you expect.

When selecting the Input on the 203, make sure you are not accidentally selecting the ARC line instead of the HDMI Input line. You can also see this in the text on the Front Panel display.

--Bob
I see HDMI IN on the display of the Oppo 203. The Samsung box is on. When I connect the HDMI between the two all I see on the LG OLED is No Signal...check the connectiion. Frustrated.
post #1585 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
FWIW, here is the info on the Monoprice certified cables:

I'll know by tomorrow whether they work fine for UHD/HDR.
This what I purchased but in 15', just waiting for the delivery of the 203 to try out.
Bigmoviefan likes this.
post #1586 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJArciola, III View Post
I see HDMI IN on the display of the Oppo 203. The Samsung box is on. When I connect the HDMI between the two all I see on the LG OLED is No Signal...check the connectiion. Frustrated.
The first time I tried, I accidentally put in in the audio out HDMI port.

post #1587 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Okay I set the Oppo to LPCM and replayed the same opening freeway scene on Deadpool that I saw the stuttering issue with. It it playing flawlessly now. I could be imagining things but my system seems to sound a little crisper now. Am I loosing anything besides my front display on my receiver saying Dolby TrueHD? I was planning on adding some Atmos speakers in the near future. Will this affect that setup? Thank you again for your help.
post #1588 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay I set the Oppo to LPCM and replayed the same opening freeway scene on Deadpool that I saw the stuttering issue with. It it playing flawlessly now. I could be imagining things but my system seems to sound a little crisper now. Am I loosing anything besides my front display on my receiver saying Dolby TrueHD? I was planning on adding some Atmos speakers in the near future. Will this affect that setup? Thank you again for your help.
I don't have an atmos system, so i can't be of help there. When you set the OPPO to LPCM, the OPPO processes the audio, and then sends it to your AVR uncompressed. When set to bitstream, the OPPO doesn't process the audio, it lets your avr do it. At least, that's the way I interpret it. I could be wrong.

Last edited by wxman; 12-16-2016 at 04:52 PM.
post #1589 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
I could be imagining things but my system seems to sound a little crisper now. Am I loosing anything besides my front display on my receiver saying Dolby TrueHD?
No, but.....

Quote:
I was planning on adding some Atmos speakers in the near future. Will this affect that setup?
Yes. Atmos (and DTS:X) must be bitstreamed.

If you are experiencing "stuttering" there is a problem somewhere in your chain. Personally, I'd start by verifying that you have the most current firmware installed on your AVR.
Duckbacker likes this.

Last edited by bluechunks; 12-16-2016 at 04:52 PM.
post #1590 of 37235 Old 12-16-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post
No, but.....

Yes. Atmos (and DTS:X) must be bitstreamed.

If you are experiencing "stuttering" there is a problem somewhere in your chain.

I am using the supplied cable with the Oppo to the Receiver and a 6' Monoprice certified cable from the Receiver to the TV. My Receiver is a Denon avr-s710w which is HDMI2.0a and HDCP2.2 compliant. What in the chain could be causing it? I need to swap it back to bitstream when I watch a full movie tonight and see if the issue is still there with the new Monoprice cable in place. And I do have the latest firmware installed on the Receiver.
tjcinnamon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page