Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 545 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279436Likes

post #16321 of 37604 Old 05-27-2017, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJames View Post
Nice update...

It at least recognizes DV but my E6 only goes into HDR mode during playback. Perhaps the official FW update will include the keys to unlock DV when ready.
How does one get this demo?

I would like to try it out on my B6.
chili555 and SamuraiXSendai like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16322 of 37604 Old 05-27-2017, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by TetraVaal View Post
How does one get this demo?

I would like to try it out on my B6.
Ditto, also B6 owner. Would love a link so I can download.

Thanks
post #16323 of 37604 Old 05-27-2017, 08:47 PM

Dolby Vision has indeed arrived to the Oppo 203!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4496.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	2158994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8991.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	2159002  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16324 of 37604 Old 05-27-2017, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 5540 Post(s)
Liked: 3944
DV is working on this player. I put the DV file on USB and the DV banner popped up on my E6. 203 connected directly to the tv. This is with the beta FW. It appears ready for DV.

This is the picture mode on my tv when the clip is playing via USB.

Last edited by wxman; 05-27-2017 at 09:17 PM.
post #16325 of 37604 Old 05-27-2017, 09:10 PM

When you see the Dolby Vision logo pop up on your OLED.

post #16326 of 37604 Old 05-27-2017, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 114
So using the oppo hdmi input for FIOS will use the upscaler in the oppo to the tv? What do you set the cable box to? 720p or 1080i? Theo oppo having Dolby Vision makes it a buy for me now.

LG 65C7p | Sony PS3 | Sony PS4 | Apple Ariport Express | Emotiva UMC-200 | Parasound HCA2003a | Parasound HCA1000a x 2 | Monster HTS3500 | AC Infinity Aircom T8 x 2 | NHT 1.5 | NHT VS2 | NHT Super Ones | SVS SB16 Ultra w/ sound isolation feet | Harmony Elite | Salamander Venice 237 | Sound Anchors Cone Coasters | Vibrapods
post #16327 of 37604 Old 05-27-2017, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
DV is working on this player. I put the DV file on USB and the DV banner popped up on my E6. 203 connected directly to the tv. This is with the beta FW. It appears ready for DV.

How did it look?

Main 4K Setup: LG OLED55E6P, Oppo UDP-203, Denon AVR X-4500H,AudioSource 2 channel amp,(3) Hsu CCB-8 bookshelf speakers, (2) Hsu HB-1 speakers,(Monoprice Monolith 28" speaker stands, (4) Dayton Audio IO655B speakers, Hsu VTF-2 and VTF-3 subs, 10" Monolith THX sub, Roku Ultra, Amazon Fire TV4K, Monoprice premium certified HDMI cables
post #16328 of 37604 Old 05-27-2017, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteve View Post
How did it look?
Looks really good!
oldsteve and TetraVaal like this.
post #16329 of 37604 Old 05-27-2017, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteve View Post
How did it look?
Is Oppo the first UHD player to offer DolbyVision? If so, critics of the Oppo 203 rollout take note.
SamuraiXSendai and ARROW-AV like this.
post #16330 of 37604 Old 05-27-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Looks really good!
I keep replaying demos over and over.

I'll be buying Despicable Me 1 & 2 early morning June 6th to finally see this beautiful format on a physical disc.

So stoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john barlow View Post
Is Oppo the first UHD player to offer DolbyVision? If so, critics of the Oppo 203 rollout take note.
Yes, it is.
post #16331 of 37604 Old 05-27-2017, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
I'm thinking maybe so. The only previous times Oppo has ever had betas that wouldn't allow reversion to the previous official was when some app supplier or power-that-be at the studios dictated it. I'm certainly suspicious.
Excellent Deduction, Sherlock!
post #16332 of 37604 Old 05-27-2017, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's still beta for DV. When you go into video settings on the OPPO while the file is playing, all settings are greyed out, so you can't adjust anything. I also tried to set the player to output at 60fps, however, the OPPO sent 24 fps to the tv. Now that may be because it was a file that was on a usb stick and not an actual disc. Once the actual discs come out, we may be able to adjust settings. I even tried using the strip metadata feature, but the OPPO still sent it as DV HDR.

Last edited by wxman; 05-27-2017 at 09:52 PM.
post #16333 of 37604 Old 05-27-2017, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:

[IMG]https://www.avsforum.com/photopost/uploads/68860/IMG_2379.JPG[IMG]

[IMG]https://www.avsforum.com/photopost/uploads/68860/IMG_2380.JPG[IMG]
Weird. Mine went into HDR mode earlier. Just got done watching Logan and turned it off. Tried it again after seeing your post and now it goes into DV mode.
post #16334 of 37604 Old 05-27-2017, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZZZY View Post
Ditto, also B6 owner. Would love a link so I can download.

Thanks

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/index....2202713?page=1

It's in the first post. The DV demos look good I personally like the chess one in HDR myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LGOLED77G7P/65B6P - Oppo 203
Denon X6300H/Onkyo Tx NR3030; Atlona HDR HDBaseT
Klipsch 7.1.4
R-3800-W II Fronts ; R-5502-W II Center
RS-42 II Surrounds ; CDT-3800-C II Heights, R-112SW Subs
post #16335 of 37604 Old 05-27-2017, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Look like the extra reboot fixed whatever issue there was...

Before

After
Gillietalls and grtuck like this.
post #16336 of 37604 Old 05-28-2017, 02:47 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayraysaiz View Post
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/index....2202713?page=1

It's in the first post. The DV demos look good I personally like the chess one in HDR myself.

The link does not seem to work, I'm getting redirected to the forums index page.
Has the post been removed?

http://www.av-insider.de - Bild und Ton mit Sachverstand (Sound And Vision Expertized)
post #16337 of 37604 Old 05-28-2017, 02:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCyberguy View Post
The link does not seem to work, I'm getting redirected to the forums index page.
Has the post been removed?
I found them on this page also.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Samples
kemac likes this.
post #16338 of 37604 Old 05-28-2017, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by madden View Post
I found them on this page also.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Samples

Great link, thanks a lot! :-)

http://www.av-insider.de - Bild und Ton mit Sachverstand (Sound And Vision Expertized)
post #16339 of 37604 Old 05-28-2017, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
An updated version of the iOS OPPO UDP-20X MediaControl App hit iTunes over night. Release notes only indicate "bug fixes".
Mike_WI and therecanbeonly1 like this.
post #16340 of 37604 Old 05-28-2017, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1978 Post(s)
Liked: 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Drop outs or not working at all is one of four things: The HDMI Input on your unit needs hardware service, the cables you are using aren't doing the job, your Verizon box is not implementing its HDMI output properly (when an extra device is between it and the TV). Or you have complexity in your HDMI topology that you've not told us about -- HDMI loops or dual HDMI paths into a given device such as into your AVR or TV. At this point, these are more likely than that this is a firmware problem in the OPPO.

Assuming you are using the correct cables now (HDMI Ultra HD Premium Certified and 6 foot in length between the Verizon box and the OPPO), you've really only got two options. Either swap out the Verizon box -- preferably for a newer model that might implement HDMI output better -- or sending in the player to be checked out by OPPO service. Or both.

As for your HDMI topology, I don't recall if you've laid that out for us, but you should test the simplest case to see if the problem goes away. That would be Verizon box into OPPO, Main HDMI from OPPO to TV for both video and audio (to TV's speakers). Nothing connected to Audio HDMI output in the OPPO and no other HDMI connections to your TV. This is for diagnosis. If simplifying the HDMI topology fixes the problem, then we can probably sort out what's actually wrong in the configuration you are really trying to use.

The known issues with HDMI Input have to do with lip sync, instances of video stutter, and the new one in this firmware of de-interlacing problems with 1080i/60 input. Drop outs and not working at all are not on that list.
--Bob
The problem is not caused by anything in his video chain EXCEPT the OPPO. I've also seen the same thing with another client's OPPO with totally different cables and source equipment and I'm pretty sure my two OPPOs would do the same thing if I ever used the HDMI In.
post #16341 of 37604 Old 05-28-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
First, let me be clear. I'm trying to help. I think you are having some issues you can fix without having to wait for firmware fixes from OPPO.

The fact that the Verizon box worked through the 103 in your current configuration doesn't really mean all that much as the Verizon box was not having to handshake with an HDMI 2.0 socket when connected to the 103. In HDMI, the source device drives the handshake from end to end. When you are using the Verizon box, it is that box which is in control of the handshake. Talking through the OPPO to the AVR and then through the AVR to the TV in your setup. This can be a particular problem if you are trying to view a premium channel, as that causes the Verizon box to also try and enforce Copy Protection from end to end.

Next, and you aren't going to want to hear this, I have to mention that in HDMI short cables are not necessarily better. Everyone knows that long HDMI cables can cause grief. Well short cables can too. This has to do with the fact that the HDMI electronics try to correct for the degradation of the signal as it passes along the cable. To do that, some assumptions have to be made -- most notably the expected length of the cable. And the answer the HDMI mavens chose was 6 feet.

That means to give yourself the best shot at problem free HDMI you should use 6 foot cables even if the devices are closer together than that.

Now just as some folks find they can use long cables without problems, other folks find they can use short cables without problems. But the SWEET SPOT for HDMI cable length is 6 feet. And the older the HDMI electronics happen to be at either end of the cable, the more important this gets. That's because previous generations of HDMI chips used "simpler" equalization circuits to do this job. How old is your Verizon box?

You also mentioned that you have problems trying to start up the connection through HDMI Input -- as opposed to it failing after you've got it going. Failures like that can be due to the order and timing of device power ups. What happens is that some device (most often, the TV) is not awake enough to respond properly when another device (say the Verizon box) is trying to talk to it. If the response doesn't come back properly -- and quickly enough, the source might just give up. This is particularly true if you are playing protected content -- those premium channels. HDMI Copy Protection LIKES to fail.

Now I don't know what other gear you may have changed -- perhaps you upgraded to a 4K TV as part of this -- but the 203 boots up faster than the 103. This changes the timing the Verizon box sees. The usual fix for THIS problem is to control the order and timing of things powering up -- going in the reverse direction of the signal flow. So in your case that would be the TV, then wait, then the AVR, then wait, then the OPPO, then wait, then the Verizon box (or rather the selection of HDMI Input in the OPPO which starts things happening on the Verizon box). If you are using a programmable remote or some other mechanism to power everything up at once, the timing and order of the power ups may be the problem. This would be particularly likely if you are telling the 203 to power up using the HDMI Input instead of "Blu-ray Player" because then the Verizon box is starting up its handshake process faster.

There *ARE* problems in the HDMI Input that have to be fixed in firmware. But dropouts or failure to get a picture to begin with are more likely to be due to other aspects of the HDMI handshake.

(And yes, there are tons of older HDMI devices out there which are causing lots of grief in the brave new world of HDMI 2.0 hardware. OPPO may be able to provide firmware workarounds to help older devices, but the root problem is that these devices are being asked to handshake with hardware newer than they were designed for.)

--------------------------------------

In addition, I still think you should try the experiment where you bypass the AVR: Verizon box into OPPO and Main HDMI from OPPO direct to TV. If that cabling works better, it may be a good workaround for you right now would be dual HDMI cabling -- Main HDMI from the OPPO to your TV and Audio HDMI from the OPPO to your AVR.
--Bob
Explain how this is not the OPPO when putting a Murideo Six G pattern generator through the HDMI IN exhibits the same issues with the OPPO HDMI out going straight to the TV? And yes I'm using multiple certified HDMI cables.
post #16342 of 37604 Old 05-28-2017, 07:01 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5839 Post(s)
Liked: 8335
^ And yet we have people here reporting HDMI In is working with current firmware except for the issues I mentioned.

There may yet be additional problems OPPO has to fix, but this really does look to me like a lot of the problem is older HDMI chips not happy going through an HDMI 2.0 device between them and the TV.

I test HDMI In with a modern player (newer HDMI hardware) as the feed, and I'm not seeing drop outs or video muting to black since the 0329 firmware. I test this way specifically because that gives me complete control over the audio and video format going into HDMI In -- something I wouldn't be able to do with a streaming stick for example.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #16343 of 37604 Old 05-28-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
^ And yet we have people here reporting HDMI In is working with current firmware except for the issues I mentioned.

There may yet be additional problems OPPO has to fix, but this really does look to me like a lot of the problem is older HDMI chips not happy going through an HDMI 2.0 device between them and the TV.

I test HDMI In with a modern player (newer HDMI hardware) as the feed, and I'm not seeing drop outs or video muting to black since the 0329 firmware. I test this way specifically because that gives me complete control over the audio and video format going into HDMI In -- something I wouldn't be able to do with a streaming stick for example.
--Bob
So if this player can't handle a video pattern generator that has a 2.0a chipset.... which BTW... has shown zero issues with other HDMI based products with chipsets ranging from HDMI 1.0 to beyond HDMI 2.0b, the problem is the source.... which in this case is a Murideo Six G? Oh and I can replicate the same video dropouts with an Accupel 5000 pattern generator with its lowly HDMI 1.4 chipset too. But you're going to point the finger at two pattern generators with completely different chipsets from completely different manufacturers??? I expect far better from you Bob and expect even more from OPPO.

BTW, when is OPPO going to fix their 4:4:4 chroma problem that even a competitor (Panasonic) is exploiting in demos of their products?
post #16344 of 37604 Old 05-28-2017, 07:26 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4687 Post(s)
Liked: 4562
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
I expect far better from you Bob
Could we not get personal here?

Quote:
BTW, when is OPPO going to fix their 4:4:4 chroma problem that even a competitor (Panasonic) is exploiting in demos of their products?
You need to address that directly to OPPO. There is no way Bob or anyone else here can answer your question.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #16345 of 37604 Old 05-28-2017, 07:58 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
So if this player can't handle a video pattern generator that has a 2.0a chipset.... which BTW... has shown zero issues with other HDMI based products with chipsets ranging from HDMI 1.0 to beyond HDMI 2.0b, the problem is the source.... which in this case is a Murideo Six G? Oh and I can replicate the same video dropouts with an Accupel 5000 pattern generator with its lowly HDMI 1.4 chipset too. But you're going to point the finger at two pattern generators with completely different chipsets from completely different manufacturers??? I expect far better from you Bob and expect even more from OPPO.

I'm saying people are being too quick to assume their problems have no workarounds *NOW* -- without waiting for additional firmware from OPPO.

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #16346 of 37604 Old 05-28-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Could we not get personal here?
Get personal? I've followed Bob's posts for years. His response to someone who I've personally verified has a valid problem with their OPPO is subpar to his historical assistance.... or at least I thought it was.

Quote:
You need to address that directly to OPPO. There is no way Bob or anyone else here can answer your question.

-Bill
It's been pointed out to OPPO multiple times. Apparently they don't have the means to correct it.
post #16347 of 37604 Old 05-28-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I'm saying people are being too quick to assume their problems have no workarounds *NOW* -- without waiting for additional firmware from OPPO.

--Bob
The workaround is not to use the HDMI In on these players.

Waiting on OPPO to correct it.... can they actually acknowledge the problem first? Their waffling between "its your cables/Verizon Box" and "it's a firmware issue" does not bring confidence either way.
post #16348 of 37604 Old 05-28-2017, 08:07 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
The workaround is not to use the HDMI In on these players.

Waiting on OPPO to correct it.... can they actually acknowledge the problem first? Their waffling between "its your cables/Verizon Box" and "it's a firmware issue" does not bring confidence either way.
There are known issues with HDMI Input. There are ALSO issues caused by cables, the source device, the HDMI cabling topology, and the power up sequence. Why not work on both?
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 05-28-2017 at 08:13 AM.
post #16349 of 37604 Old 05-28-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
There are known issues with HDMI Input. There are ALSO issues caused by cables, the source device, and the power up sequence. Why not work on both?
--Bob
I agree people can have issues with cables and even power up sequence. However David is not one of them.

For me it is very bothersome that OPPO continues to have issues with their HDMI In implementation. I've seen issues with since its first appearance on the 103. Either they need to do more thorough testing and validation BEFORE they launch the product or eliminate it.

And before someone posts "you need to take this up with OPPO", there is no need since they monitor these forums.
sillysally likes this.
post #16350 of 37604 Old 05-28-2017, 08:26 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 2388
Quote:
And before someone posts "you need to take this up with OPPO", there is no need since they monitor these forums.
While I'm sure they do monitor these forums to some degree, anyone who is looking for actual support from Oppo (as in a response from them) should contact them through their official channels. I've NEVER known them to respond on these forums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page