Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279174Likes

post #1801 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrus View Post
I think I found another 203 problem. Wonder if the beta testers tried to have the 203 upscale an opera or ballet or a "live" music (classical(?)) blu-ray that has, at least, 1 track that is in PCM/LPCM? Just tried a couple of operas & a ballet blu-ray & cannot get the auto upscale to send any signals to the avr/tv. Will check if upscale will work on the Sony tomorrow.

The "Last Star Fighter" & "Peanuts" movies can do auto after being loaded in custom 1080p mode on the udp-203 & don't have any other blu-ray movies, just dvd. Will be checking the dvd musicals as well to see if the LPCM/PCM audio track disable 4K upscale.
No, but others might like to try setting of the first Harry Potter bluray. Philosopher's Stone I'm sure was lpcm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 12:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5835 Post(s)
Liked: 8317
Quote:
Originally Posted by pee View Post
Thanks for this info.
I'll be using the analog outs. I won't touch any of the settings.

Question: I should also be able to connect the HDMI audio out or optical out to my AVR along with the analog out correct? I'd like to compare the sound by switching the input on my AVR.

(I'm still trying to hold out until Xmas to actually connect the Oppo, since I told my wife I would. Not sure if I'm going to make it though)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, but keep in mind that the Optical and Coax outs can not carry the same quality audio as will be present on the HDMI or Analog outs.

Optical and Coax will still get audio from Blu-ray and UHD discs, but what goes out on those is the "compatibility" tracks -- lossy DD or DTS as also appears on SD-DVDs. Every Blu-ray and UHD disc has to include a compatibility track, even if it is not listed as a choice when you go into the disc's menus.

What goes out on HDMI is the full quality track (assuming your HDMI-capable AVR can handle that), and what goes out on Analog is a decode of the full quality track then converted to Analog for output.

Some types of audio can't go out on Optical or Coax for licensing reasons. For example SACD music discs won't send any audio out on Optical or Coax.
--Bob
zielin, pee, IronWaffle and 2 others like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #1803 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Finally got around to trying out some DVDs. Of the ones I threw in, U-571 definitely shows some improvements over last time I remember watching it. The up-scaling was very nice. I wasn't expecting any kind of miraculous quality improvement but it was nice seeing there was some. It's hard forcing yourself to watch DVDs after Bluray's came along. Like probably most everybody else on this forum I have stacks of unused DVDs that have become orphaned!
galonzo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1804 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Strange thing. Installed 203 this morning and started playing a CD, Lady Gaga's Joanne, and the disc played OK but the on screen CD info was in German. Checked settings and all are set to English. Put in Beatles' Abby Road and the on screen info was in English, but from their album Back in the USSR while it played Come Together. I've never owned Back in the USSR.
zmarty likes this.

LG OLED77"C8, OPPO UDP-203, Yamaha CX-A5100 AVP, TiVo Bolt VOX
post #1805 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by pee View Post
Thanks for this info.
I'll be using the analog outs. I won't touch any of the settings.

Question: I should also be able to connect the HDMI audio out or optical out to my AVR along with the analog out correct? I'd like to compare the sound by switching the input on my AVR.

(I'm still trying to hold out until Xmas to actually connect the Oppo, since I told my wife I would. Not sure if I'm going to make it though)

Don't know your avr. I have a Denon 6200 for reference. With my 6200, I can connect stereo analog in, optical or coax (either of which provide lossy DD), and HDMI. I have an old Pioneer DV58AV DVD player that supports DVD-A and SACD, which I have connected with all three methods. Since I prefer to play my SACD's and DVD-A's in multichannel (as appropriate), I use HDMI. Otherwise, I have to manually go into the Input Source settings on the 6200 to switch between analog, digital (not applicable for SACD/DVD-A) and HDMI. Slight PITA. I have a Panasonic DMP-BDT310 BDP which is also connected by HDMI for Atmos and DTS:X. I have a Tivo Roamio Pro and an Amazon Fire TV Stick connected via HDMI so I get DD+ when steaming. (Optical does not typically support DD+ but occasionally you can find a device such as some Roku's which I have read can provide DD+ over optical).

If you have multichannel analog inputs on your avr, then I would suggest you can connect the analog outs from your 203 as well as HDMI. Optical should be inconsequential and not necessary. Then you can compare analog (with no room equalization) with HDMI with room equalization. From my experience, HDMI provided the best audio quality and ease of use for all my use cases. YMMV.
pee, galonzo and IronWaffle like this.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon FTV Stick 4K, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman

Last edited by kokishin; 12-17-2016 at 12:28 PM.
post #1806 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
It's been reported and is being looked into to see if it is systemic or related to the particular gear people are using with the OPPO.

OPPO Engineering is on the case.
--Bob
Hi Bob

Are they aware of and going to work on the down-rezzing/no video issue with non-2.2 older displays with a 2.2 compatible AVR/PP in the chain? Sure like not to have to run 2 cables even tho I know that's the current workaround.

Steve

Steve
post #1807 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 12:26 PM
pee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Yes, but keep in mind that the Optical and Coax outs can not carry the same quality audio as will be present on the HDMI or Analog outs.

Optical and Coax will still get audio from Blu-ray and UHD discs, but what goes out on those is the "compatibility" tracks -- lossy DD or DTS as also appears on SD-DVDs. Every Blu-ray and UHD disc has to include a compatibility track, even if it is not listed as a choice when you go into the disc's menus.

What goes out on HDMI is the full quality track (assuming your HDMI-capable AVR can handle that), and what goes out on Analog is a decode of the full quality track then converted to Analog for output.

Some types of audio can't go out on Optical or Coax for licensing reasons. For example SACD music discs won't send any audio out on Optical or Coax.

--Bob

Got it.
Hopefully the analogs work fine and I can use those exclusively until I update my AVR.

post #1808 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCyberguy View Post
My dealer told me. That the player SHOWS 29,786 fps does not neccessarily mean that it really outputs it btw...
Wow.

For a start, if my player was showing that it was putting out "29,786 fps" as you said in your reply, I would be able to tell. After all, that's more than 1,000 times faster than the 23.976 fps on the disc so a 100 minute long film would go past in a bit under 6 seconds. I can tell you that the info display on my 203 is most definitely not saying that it is putting out 29,786 fps, just a paltry 23.976 fps, and I'm definitely not getting 29,786 fps either.

And yes, just because the player shows it is putting out 23.976 fps doesn't mean it's doing it but have you got any EVIDENCE to show that it isn't doing what it says it is? Did your dealer back his statement up with any evidence?

Does your dealer sell Oppo players, or was he trying to sell you a different player? Dealers sometimes do have an interest in supporting one product over another, and don't always tell the truth. I'm not saying your dealer isn't telling the truth but I am asking what evidence he's basing his statement on.

And FYI, if the player puts out 24 fps instead of 23.5076 fps, it would take 999 frames before it would be necessary to drop a frame in order to keep sync and that would take a bit over 40 seconds. For years DVD players in countries which used the PAL system played back 24fps sourced DVDs at 25fps, a much bigger speed increase, and no one was overly concerned or felt a need to have the player drop a frame here and there in order to keep the overall playback time unchanged. The only problem people noticed was a slight increase in the pitch of the soundtrack. Why in the world if a 1 fps playback speed error did not trigger some sort of frame drop correction, which wouldn't have fixed the audio pitch issue anyway, would someone think there would be a need to drop a frame every 40 seconds or so in order to fix an error that is 1/40th the size of the error we had with DVD? If the error amounts to 1 frame every 40 seconds, it amounts to 180 frames over the duration of a 2 hour movie and that's less than an 8 second error. No one would ever notice it so I can't see anyone trying to fix it.
post #1809 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 12:33 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4646 Post(s)
Liked: 4496
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
Hi Bob

Are they aware of and going to work on the down-rezzing/no video issue with non-2.2 older displays with a 2.2 compatible AVR/PP in the chain? Sure like not to have to run 2 cables even tho I know that's the current workaround.

Steve
OPPO Engineering:

-Bill
Carter D likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #1810 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
The data coming off the disc is 4:2:0 at 8-bit. (UHD with HDR is 10-bit). Anything higher bandwidth than that on the HDMI cable is the result of the player being asked to do some of the processing that HAS TO BE done before the pixels light up. Some of that is required to get a legal signal on the HDMI cable. For example 4K/24 4:2:0 is not a legal HDMI signal, so if you want to preserve /24 the data off the disc has to be "Color Upsampled" at least to 4:2:2.

But some of this stuff COULD be done in the TV instead. For example, raising 4:2:2 to 4:4:4.

Now in theory the TV and the player will do these things equally well. In practice, not so much, but you can't predict that. You have to check and see if you can spot a difference.

So the lower bandwidth signals carry the same information that came off the disc as the higher bandwidth signals.

The one counter to this is Color Depth. There can be value in transmitting 10-bit or 12-bit from the player instead of 8-bit. The extra bits carry rounding information from the video processing in the player over to the TV. If the TV actually USES those low order bits (correctly) you could get better results. However, since we are talking rounding bits, the differences here SHOULD be "subtle".

If you see BIG differences between the different Color Depth choices, odds are you are seeing bugs in how the TV handles the different input formats. Pick the one that looks best.
--Bob

Thanks Bob, so the difference between 10 and 18Gbps display when playing a UHD BR would be ( should be) subtle enough that the differences may only be detected in a side by side comparison?
post #1811 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Did you get this resolved? I had to connect the 203 Main to the TV directly and the Audio only HDMI cable to the Denon X6200W for it to work correctly. Otherwise, I just got a blank screen as well.
lujan,

Maybe today was my lucky day; I've put the OPPO on twice during the morning hours and each time I did see the OPPO screen. (I have the OPPO HDMI'd to my JVC projector (video) and the OPPO HDMI'd to my Anthem Statement surround processor for sound.)

Whether it keeps up remains to be seen. Update: it didn't remain!
Scott 44 and zmarty like this.

Last edited by Ed Weinman; 12-17-2016 at 01:12 PM.
post #1812 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 12:40 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post
Thanks Bob, so the difference between 10 and 18Gbps display when playing a UHD BR would be ( should be) subtle enough that the differences may only be detected in a side by side comparison?
The higher bandwidth capable displays are likely to be ones that support HDR. Usually the rendering of an HDR image will be easily distinguishable from the non HDR version.

If you have a lower bandwidth output specified, and you are playing HDR content (with HDR output enabled), and your display supports HDR, the 203 will automatically up the signal to the necessary higher bandwidth to carry that. I.e., you won't have to make a manual change to accomplish the same thing.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #1813 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Oppo should pay this thread as beta testers and debuggers, myself included soon enough as the 203 arrives next week! lol

I have learned a few things thus far....

1) Fingerprints on the disk & especially large thumbs = a no no. Also if you have a cold or flu please do not sneeze directly on the disks. Please do not use Comet or AJAX to clean your dirty disk.

2) Put the "correct" disk in if there are 2.

3) It is basically best to leave all settings in the 203 at default & auto.

4) Minimize the length of HDMI cables. Any length past 3' to 6' you may need to pony up some major coins for the expensive HDMI's.

5) Troubleshoot the HDMI plug connector in/out for handshake issues & for optimal proper signal path flow. No kinky cables or twisty kinks in your cables allowed.

6) Be sure your AVR & display are up to snuff & compatible for HDR / UHD / 3D. I noticed those with projectors opposed to flat panels are having extra issues for some reason, possibly due to extremely long cable runs.

7) Pets & kids do not get to play with the cables behind the TV...

8) This suggestion is for me: Do not drink a 12 pack before hooking up the 203 and testing it out.

9) Have oppo tech on speed dial as needed until they twerk the tweaks as needed via updates.

10) Do not go into spastic epileptic fits or convulse if you have issues until you have checked 1 - 9. Then afterwards if the issue persists, feel free to go gangnam style gorilla.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ajax.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	1837017  

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

Last edited by timc1475; 12-17-2016 at 12:52 PM.
post #1814 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 12:43 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Weinman View Post
lujan,

Maybe today was my lucky day; I've put the OPPO on twice during the morning hours and each time I did see the OPPO screen. (I have the OPPO HDMI'd to my JVC projector (video) and the OPPO HDMI'd to my Anthem Statement surround processor for sound.)

Whether it keeps up remains to be seen.
This being HDMI, keep in mind: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
--Bob

post #1815 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Merry Christmas to me!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oppo 2.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	1837025  
timc1475 and jb442386 like this.

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."
Samsung 65KS800D - Denon AVR X4200W - Oppo UDP-203 - PS4 Pro - Apple TV 4K - Aperion Intimus 6T - Aperion Intimus 6C - Aperion Intimus 4BP - SVS PC-13 Ultra
post #1816 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipervick View Post
Merry Christmas to me!!!
Winning!

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
post #1817 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 958
I keep walking past my Oppo 203 in its box, I've had it for a few days but I cannot bring myself to open it and install it. After reading through this thread I am having a bit of buyers remorse. My system right now is working amazing and I don't really feel like adding something that is so problamatic. I really don't want to have to get behind my furniture and swap HDMI cables all day to get this to work.

I have a Pioneer Elite SC-99 which is very finicky with how it handles HDMI and pass through. As far as I can tell you cannot get HDR to pass through it, so I will have to hook the oppo directly to the TV. 4k HDR is a headache to get to work correctly and my Oppo 103 plays anything I put on a USB stick. I guess the 203 doesn't play MKV files???

Greg
post #1818 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
I keep walking past my Oppo 203 in its box, I've had it for a few days but I cannot bring myself to open it and install it. After reading through this thread I am having a bit of buyers remorse. My system right now is working amazing and I don't really feel like adding something that is so problamatic. I really don't want to have to get behind my furniture and swap HDMI cables all day to get this to work.

I have a Pioneer Elite SC-99 which is very finicky with how it handles HDMI and pass through. As far as I can tell you cannot get HDR to pass through it, so I will have to hook the oppo directly to the TV. 4k HDR is a headache to get to work correctly and my Oppo 103 plays anything I put on a USB stick. I guess the 203 doesn't play MKV files???

Greg
No guts, no glory. No balls, no blue chips.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon FTV Stick 4K, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #1819 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
Is this player going to have HDCD decoding?

I searched and did not find my answer.. "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."
Please see: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...#post-15548907

Quote:
We have dropped the support of decoding HDCD, but the player can still output HDCD to an external receiver for decoding and expanding.

The lack of HDCD decoding will also apply to the UDP-205 as it uses the same decoder hardware as the UDP-203.

Best Regards,
Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
post #1820 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 12:57 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Greg
Yes, the 203 plays MKV files. The only restriction people have been talking about is that Atmos audio tracks play as LPCM (so no Atmos specific info).

The main thing to ask yourself is if you want to play UHD Blu-ray discs. If so, it's time to go make a bracing cup of hot cocoa and open that puppy up!
--Bob
muscles likes this.

post #1821 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post
Wow.

For a start, if my player was showing that it was putting out "29,786 fps" as you said in your reply, I would be able to tell. After all, that's more than 1,000 times faster than the 23.976 fps on the disc so a 100 minute long film would go past in a bit under 6 seconds. I can tell you that the info display on my 203 is most definitely not saying that it is putting out 29,786 fps, just a paltry 23.976 fps, and I'm definitely not getting 29,786 fps either.

And yes, just because the player shows it is putting out 23.976 fps doesn't mean it's doing it but have you got any EVIDENCE to show that it isn't doing what it says it is? Did your dealer back his statement up with any evidence?

Does your dealer sell Oppo players, or was he trying to sell you a different player? Dealers sometimes do have an interest in supporting one product over another, and don't always tell the truth. I'm not saying your dealer isn't telling the truth but I am asking what evidence he's basing his statement on.

And FYI, if the player puts out 24 fps instead of 23.5076 fps, it would take 999 frames before it would be necessary to drop a frame in order to keep sync and that would take a bit over 40 seconds. For years DVD players in countries which used the PAL system played back 24fps sourced DVDs at 25fps, a much bigger speed increase, and no one was overly concerned or felt a need to have the player drop a frame here and there in order to keep the overall playback time unchanged. The only problem people noticed was a slight increase in the pitch of the soundtrack. Why in the world if a 1 fps playback speed error did not trigger some sort of frame drop correction, which wouldn't have fixed the audio pitch issue anyway, would someone think there would be a need to drop a frame every 40 seconds or so in order to fix an error that is 1/40th the size of the error we had with DVD? If the error amounts to 1 frame every 40 seconds, it amounts to 180 frames over the duration of a 2 hour movie and that's less than an 8 second error. No one would ever notice it so I can't see anyone trying to fix it.
All right, obviously I offended you which wasn't my intention.
Writing my reply on the go I accidentally mixed up some numbers, of course I'm well aware that it's 23.976 fps we're talking about and that's what I meant.
I've been in the video field for some time now myself and happen to be from Germany, so I'm well aware of the 25p speed-up issue in German DVDs.
There the audio is either (most commonly) pitched up slightly or it's "sliced" to fit (resulting in "pumping" sounds, for example audible on the "The Lord of the Rings"-PAL-DVDs).
In case of the Oppo (IF it's true that it outputs 23.976 fps material with 24 fps) audio isn't pitched up, so dropping a frame every some 40 seconds seems just logical to keep in sync, so I don't have reason to question my dealer's motivations to tell me this (he's an official Oppo dealer after all and I purchased my 203 at his place), especially since he usually is very well informed (it's not Best Buy or similar, but a dedicated home theater shop with a very good reputation).
I asked if someone could confirm that info.
So far nobody could.
But if you mark the statement as false I'd ask you to back that up as well.
Or do you happen to work for Oppo and have direct information?
Since I'm not the only one to have noticed these frame drops/hickups or whatever you wanna call them they are definitely there, so the question where they originate from is valid.
I never noticed anything similar on my BDP-103 the years before.
I'm open to other plausible explanations though - and possible solutions.

http://www.av-insider.de - Bild und Ton mit Sachverstand (Sound And Vision Expertized)
post #1822 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5404 Post(s)
Liked: 3825
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipervick View Post
Merry Christmas to me!!!
I wonder what could be in there. It's wrapped so well. Give it a good shake.
Carter D and zmarty like this.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #1823 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 01:01 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Socks, most likely. Really really evil wrapping job...
--Bob
Clark Burk and wxman like this.

post #1824 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked: 3165
My 203 arrived yesterday after getting my order in on Monday - nice service Oppo - thank you again.

I am one of those buying this player first and upgrading to 4k later. Must admit I wanted access to more immersive mixes too, as some are exclusive to 4k. Used some BB Reward points to go out and purchase Deadpool and Oblivion as my test disks.

Setup was problematic. For those who said that cables don't matter if you are not outputting to a 4k dsplay -wrong. I have used a 12 foot Mediabridge cable for the past few years with my 103, no issues and I've always been one to run video to the display and audio to the receiver separately.

Turn on the Oppo and it acted up a little, couldn't get the draw to open via remote or button. Unplugged the player for 10 seconds and then things pretty much cleared up. I was getting no video on my Panny VT60, still put in the firmware upgrade disk and got it to run using the screen on the player. After the update no video, so I thought I would check to see if I was getting audio by playing a SACD, audio worked, blank screen.

When I bought the player on Monday I went ahead and order a 4k Ultra Mediabridge cable (10ft). Next stop was to try that cable for video and bingo. So out with the old and in with the new.

As for playback, Oblivion was bought since I was anxious to hear the Atmos mix. I admit to being impressed with the picture despite it being downconverted to 1080P, in my mind it looks better than the blu version, but haven't pulled that out to really do a fair comparision. It was great to see the Atmos light up on my receiver, I will definitely go the 4k route now when buying disks. For settings I haven't messed with much, player automatically selected 1080P. No weird color pushes, etc. Loading is very quick, no 40 db coming from my tray with this 4k disk, noise is slight, no doubt Oppo will improve it down the road, but it is inaudiable even at low volumes - less than 10 feet from the screen and player.

I suspect that a lot of issues mentioned in this rapidly growning thread have to do with cables. If I can have an issue with my setup, then it is easy to see the importance of getting a cable that is certified/tested - see David Vaughan's S&V article. Look forward to more time and tests. That's all for now, have to go help my wife, see signed for the player yesterday so she's only mentioned the "blu-ray player" about 20 times. With age I've gotten great at not hearing those comments

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff

Last edited by smurraybhm; 12-17-2016 at 01:05 PM.
post #1825 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post
Oppo should pay this thread as beta testers and debuggers, myself included soon enough as the 203 arrives next week! lol

I have learned a few things thus far....

1) Fingerprints on the disk & especially large thumbs = a no no. Also if you have a cold or flu please do not sneeze directly on the disks. Please do not use Comet or AJAX to clean your dirty disk.

2) Put the "correct" disk in if there are 2.

3) It is basically best to leave all settings in the 203 at default & auto.

4) Minimize the length of HDMI cables. Any length past 3' to 6' you may need to pony up some major coins for the expensive HDMI's.

5) Troubleshoot the HDMI plug connector in/out for handshake issues & for optimal proper signal path flow. No kinky cables or twisty kinks in your cables allowed.

6) Be sure your AVR & display are up to snuff & compatible for HDR / UHD / 3D. I noticed those with projectors opposed to flat panels are having extra issues for some reason, possibly due to extremely long cable runs.

7) Pets & kids do not get to play with the cables behind the TV...

8) This suggestion is for me: Do not drink a 12 pack before hooking up the 203 and testing it out.

9) Have oppo tech on speed dial as needed until they twerk the tweaks as needed via updates.

10) Do not go into spastic epileptic fits or convulse if you have issues until you have checked 1 - 9. Then afterwards if the issue persists, feel free to go gangnam style gorilla.

You forgot: Read 1812 previous posts.
Carter D likes this.
post #1826 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Besides, early adopters have the fun of taking part in high volume threads like this AS THEY HAPPEN!

Can you imagine buying the 203 later this Spring and having to catch up on 500,000 posts in this thread?
--Bob
That's exactly why I'm spending the time every day to keep up. Hard enough to assimilate when you don't have the player on hand to work with, let alone being behind 1/2M posts and trying to make sense.

The advantage in the Spring will be that most of this "crap" is likely to be resolved with little need to read the thread. But what fun is that?
Operon likes this.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #1827 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 01:04 PM
Read the FAQ!

smurraybhm,
The folks with the real cabling nightmares are going to be the folks with legacy HDMI cables installed inside their walls.
--Bob

post #1828 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
My 203 arrived yesterday after getting my order in on Monday - nice service Oppo - thank you again.

I am one of those buying this player first and upgrading to 4k later. Must admit I wanted access to more immersive mixes too, as some are exclusive to 4k. Used some BB Reward points to go out and purchase Deadpool and Oblivion as my test disks.

Setup was problematic. For those who said that cables don't matter if you are not outputting to a 4k dsplay -wrong. I have used a 12 foot Mediabridge cable for the past few years with my 103, no issues and I've always been one to run video to the display and audio to the receiver separately.

Turn on the Oppo and it acted up a little, couldn't get the draw to open via remote or button. Unplugged the player for 10 seconds and then things pretty much cleared up. I was getting no video on my Panny VT60, still put in the firmware upgrade disk and got it to run using the screen on the player. After the update no video, so I thought I would check to see if I was getting audio by playing a SACD, audio worked, blank screen.

When I bought the player on Monday I went ahead and order a 4k Ultra Mediabridge cable (10ft). Next stop was to try that cable for video and bingo. So out with the old and in with the new.

As for playback, Oblivion was bought since I was anxious to hear the Atmos mix. I admit to being impressed with the picture despite it being downconverted to 1080P, in my mind it looks better than the blu version, but haven't pulled that out to really do a fair comparision. It was great to see the Atmos light up on my receiver, I will definitely go the 4k route now when buying disks. For settings I haven't messed with much, player automatically selected 1080P. No weird color pushes, etc. Loading is very quick, no 40 db coming from my tray with this 4k disk, noise is slight, no doubt Oppo will improve it down the road, but it is inaudiable even at low volumes - less than 10 feet from the screen and player.

I suspect that a lot of issues mentioned in this rapidly growning thread have to do with cables. If I can have an issue with my setup, then it is easy to see the importance of getting a cable that is certified/tested - see David Vaughan's S&V article. Look forward to more time and tests. That's all for now, have to go help my wife, see signed for the player yesterday so she's only mentioned the "blu-ray player" about 20 times. With age I've gotten great at not hearing those comments
Steve,

How do you have the 203 connected into your 5200 and your VT60? Separate cables?

post #1829 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6055
Smart aleck replies aside, you can very much notice a frame drop every 40 seconds, plenty of devices in past have had frame drop issues. Secondly, two lumagen owners have reported 24fps instead of 23.976 so I wouldn't be so quick to chalk it up as the lochness monster, especially with a few micro stutters seen.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
DP-UB420 / ATV4K (3) / PS Vue
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #1830 of 37250 Old 12-17-2016, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 1471
Quote:

Greg
Pick a player, any player. Find a user's thread discussing that player. Look at the reports of problems you will find because there are problems reported with every player. It also turns out that a lot of those problems are user error rather than player issue. If you are hoping to find no one reporting any problems at all, you are expecting the unfulfillable.

There are a lot of people out there using the 203 without any problems, the majority of them in fact. When problems do exist they can be either a problem with the player, a problem with a device the player is sending a signal to, or a problem related to the interactions between the player and another device. No manufacturer tests their player with every device out there in the real world which the player may end up being connected to because if they tried to do that, beta testing would never end and we'd never see the player.

Just hook the 203 up and see what happens. Either you will get a problem or you won't, either you will like the result or you won't. There's only one way to find out and that way does not involve waiting for everyone to start cheering that everything is perfect and no one has any problems with their player or with using it in their setup. You can't tell how good a cake is until you take a bite. You bought the 203 so hook it up and try using it. You can return it if you don't like the result but you're never going to know whether you will have a problem or not until you start using it.

As for you starting to have buyer's remorse, you have no grounds for remorse until you try it because until then you have no way of knowing whether you are going to end up in the majority of owners who are happy or in the minority who notice a problem. You're depleting your remorse bank for no benefit if you are going to end up in the majority without problems. Save your remorse for those times when you know it's justified.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page