Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 643 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 278831Likes

post #19261 of 36764 Old 08-06-2017, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-3 View Post
Thank you, I will give that a try and see if it resolves the issue. I am coming from an Oppo UDP-83 that worked flawlessly. That player would read anything and never had an issue, even dirty or scratched rental discs. It sounds like the Oppo UDP-203 is far more sensitive to dirt and debris based upon your response. Is that correct?
The bitstream coming off the disc on UHD-BD is far larger than coming from BD, which was far larger than DVD.

A bit of dirt might as well be the grand canyon to the player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19262 of 36764 Old 08-06-2017, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1maynard View Post
...have been following this thread since it's inception...Also with all of the hoopla on certified HDMI cables how can I be sure that in fact the cables I buy are what they say they are.
If you've been following from the beginning, you know the answer; cables have been discussed ad nauseam.
wl1 likes this.

LG OLED55C7P -- OPPO UDP-203 -- Denon 1613 -- BIC America F12 Sub -- SVS Prime LCR

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.
post #19263 of 36764 Old 08-06-2017, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaPro2 View Post
Hey guys, quick audio question with the 203.

I just finished hooking up my Marantz 6011 and have gotten the itch to expand my Atmos and DTSx collection.
I know the Oppo 203 can downscaled 4k movies fine to 1080p for people who don't own a 4k display yet (me being one of them)
However, it appears that when the Oppo downscales the video to 1080, it also selects the non Atmos/DTSx track (or doesn't allow those to be played)
My Marantz shows Atmos coming in, but only TrueDolby going out. Is this normal? Is there a setting to change to allow the video to get downscaled, but for the audio to remain Atmos/DTSx? I'm guessing this is just subsequent affect of it being processed down? Anyone confirm/or correct me? Thanks in advance!
What happens with audio should be separate to what happens with video. Your 6011 is Atmos capable but do you have an Atmos speaker setup? Atmos is a TrueHD core track with "magic sprinkles" as Bob calls them included in the metadata. Devices which can decode the sprinkles will recognise the track as an Atmos track but will only do something with them if you have an Atmos speaker setup. If you don't have the height speakers then the 6011 will ignore the sprinkles and use the TrueHD core, and will show that as what is being output. Without height speakers you can't get Atmos output. DTSX works in a similar way.

The most obvious reason for your 6011 not showing Atmos output is that you don't have the height speakers required for the Atmos "magic sprinkles" to be used.
SinGA likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19264 of 36764 Old 08-06-2017, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Took the plunge and purchased an Oppo UDP-203 this morning from Magnolia after another frustrating night with the Sony UBP-X800 freezing while watching "Ghost in a Shell" this was the 4th UHD 4K disc that I have had to to a hard reset (unplugging and plugging back in) to get it to work. Hopefully this product will not have any quirks........
bigapp and SinGA like this.

Sony XBR-65A1E OLED | Harman Kardon PA-2200 Amp | Panamax MR4300 | Apple Tv 4K
Sony Receiver STR-ZA3100ES | Sony UBP-X700 | Oppo UDP -203 4K UHD Blu-ray Player
4 - Klipsch RP-250F Floorstanding Speaker | Klipsch RP-240S Surround Speaker (Pair) | Klipsch RP-440C Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch R-112SW Sub | Klipsch RP-140SA Dolby Atmos Speaker (Pair) | Playstation 4 Pro
post #19265 of 36764 Old 08-06-2017, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDoxie View Post
If you've been following from the beginning, you know the answer; cables have been discussed ad nauseam.
I guess I should have asked what are the recommended brand cables if I buy today. I will need one ten ft cable and one six ft. It seems like what was good yesterday is suddenly not recommended today.
Thanks
post #19266 of 36764 Old 08-06-2017, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaPro2 View Post
I hear you, but not so sure that is correct. When playing a 1080 bluray with Atmos,(bitstreamed) i GET atmos.
When playing a 4k disk (bitstreamed) into my AVR, hitting the info button shows TrueDolby 7.1 (although the default track is atmos)

Not sure what could be changed if anything on the receiver end to dictate a track selection? To me it seems like something is happening on the Oppo end, but not sure what?
I don't want to belabor the issue but when you say ...hitting the info button shows... are you referring to the Oppo's info button? The Oppo can't determine if the Atmos sprinkles are being sent down the pike and never will be able to do so. If you have your AVR correctly set up for Atmos then Amos you should be hearing.
SinGA likes this.

Don't you just wish HDMI would crawl off to some darkened corner and die a sad, lonely death?
post #19267 of 36764 Old 08-06-2017, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post
What happens with audio should be separate to what happens with video. Your 6011 is Atmos capable but do you have an Atmos speaker setup? Atmos is a TrueHD core track with "magic sprinkles" as Bob calls them included in the metadata. Devices which can decode the sprinkles will recognise the track as an Atmos track but will only do something with them if you have an Atmos speaker setup. If you don't have the height speakers then the 6011 will ignore the sprinkles and use the TrueHD core, and will show that as what is being output. Without height speakers you can't get Atmos output. DTSX works in a similar way.

The most obvious reason for your 6011 not showing Atmos output is that you don't have the height speakers required for the Atmos "magic sprinkles" to be used.
I agree "should", but i'm starting to believe this not to be the case. When I close the 203 tray and it reads the 4k disk, it does pop up with a warning that I've inserted a 4k disk and it senses that I do not have a 4k display. I'm wondering if right then and there, there is extra downconversion happening.
*** Before I hit submit reply, i "think" i figured out my problem. For some reason, it appears that when playing a 4k disk connected to a 1080 display, and the oppo downresing the video, my Receiver "Auto Surround" selects the TrueDolby. All I had to do was toggle through the different surround modes to where Atmos was. I believe i'm good now
post #19268 of 36764 Old 08-06-2017, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwstegbauer View Post
Took the plunge and purchased an Oppo UDP-203 this morning from Magnolia after another frustrating night with the Sony UBP-X800 freezing while watching "Ghost in a Shell" this was the 4th UHD 4K disc that I have had to to a hard reset (unplugging and plugging back in) to get it to work. Hopefully this product will not have any quirks........
Let us know your first impressions of the 203!
post #19269 of 36764 Old 08-06-2017, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2791 Post(s)
Liked: 1757
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwstegbauer View Post
Keep us posted! GITS played perfectly in my 203. I have yet to have any freezing issues with anything. Probably just jinxed something by saying that....

Quote:
I guess I should have asked what are the recommended brand cables if I buy today. I will need one ten ft cable and one six ft. It seems like what was good yesterday is suddenly not recommended today.
Myself, I like the Blue Jeans Cable Belden-FE series.
bigapp likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #19270 of 36764 Old 08-06-2017, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Thanks
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-hd...hdmi-2-0b.html is a great thread with info and probably a better place to discuss cable pros/cons than here. There are also other threads in that section of AVSForum that may be of interest. Cables I have personal great experience with are listed in my sig.
post #19271 of 36764 Old 08-06-2017, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I cleaned the disc and updated the firmware to the latest version. I tested the scene I had issues with last night which was chapter 42 - 43 in the extended cut. No issues tonight However, I didn't watch the entire movie again but just focused on the chapter I had issues with last night.

Quote:
Has anyone else encountered what I call a layer switch issue with King Kong 4K the extended version? The video and audio stopped for a few seconds then kind of jumped ahead a bit. I visually inspected the disc and found no smudges, dirt, scratches, etc. It happened to me at about the 2:21:X into the movie. Right where Driscoll is rescuing Ann on the mountain with Kong.
post #19272 of 36764 Old 08-06-2017, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Dear friends,

i'm new here, but i've been reading this thread a lot, but can't find the solution to my problem with my Oppo 203

hre is my configuration: Oppo 203
for audio: audioquest evergreen cables to NAD C356BEE amp
for video HDMI to Sony XBR-55X855D (HDMI audio is disabled)

During playback of CDs or SACDs i feel a pause (at least 2 seconds) from time on time, at least one on every cd, i thought it was configuration, i tried all of them, now i'm using 192 kbps, but i still feel that failure,

my question is? my Oppo 203 is damaged? is configuration? is there any report if this kind of failure?

hope sommebody can help me, thanks in advance
bigapp likes this.
post #19273 of 36764 Old 08-06-2017, 07:59 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5783 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
There are quite a few posters that have reported the same thing on this title including myself but they just keep telling us to clean the disc.
And did you? And did it work?
--Bob
bigapp likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #19274 of 36764 Old 08-06-2017, 08:00 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Thank you, I will give that a try and see if it resolves the issue. I am coming from an Oppo UDP-83 that worked flawlessly. That player would read anything and never had an issue, even dirty or scratched rental discs. It sounds like the Oppo UDP-203 is far more sensitive to dirt and debris based upon your response. Is that correct?
The problem we are seeing is a film left on 4K (UHD) discs from manufacturing.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #19275 of 36764 Old 08-06-2017, 08:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M321C View Post
Dear friends,

i'm new here, but i've been reading this thread a lot, but can't find the solution to my problem with my Oppo 203

hre is my configuration: Oppo 203
for audio: audioquest evergreen cables to NAD C356BEE amp
for video HDMI to Sony XBR-55X855D (HDMI audio is disabled)

During playback of CDs or SACDs i feel a pause (at least 2 seconds) from time on time, at least one on every cd, i thought it was configuration, i tried all of them, now i'm using 192 kbps, but i still feel that failure,

my question is? my Oppo 203 is damaged? is configuration? is there any report if this kind of failure?

hope sommebody can help me, thanks in advance
Do you have the TV turned off while you are playing the CDs? If so, try leaving the TV on and see if the problem goes away. If the problem DOES go away then what's likely happening is your "off" TV is generating HDMI handshakes which cause the OPPO to pause playback for about 2 seconds. There may be settings in your TV you can make to prevent this.
--Bob
galonzo, bigapp and M321C like this.

post #19276 of 36764 Old 08-06-2017, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 7
So are there any Dolby Vision disks out there besides cartoons?
Bought this player and have yet to see anything other than LG demos. And I'm not interested in cartoons.
post #19277 of 36764 Old 08-06-2017, 08:10 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb18 View Post
So are there any Dolby Vision disks out there besides cartoons?
Bought this player and have yet to see anything other than LG demos. And I'm not interested in cartoons.
Power Rangers and Fate of the Furious are examples of Dolby Vision discs that are not animated.

--Bob
galonzo likes this.

post #19278 of 36764 Old 08-06-2017, 08:16 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Thanks
What you want to get are HDMI Ultra HD Premium Certified cables. Those come with a fancy label on the packaging that's been posted in this thread many times now. You'll also find that label on the plastic bag containing the cable OPPO includes with the player.

This is the latest design and testing standard for HDMI cables from the deep thinkers at HDMI.ORG.

Such cables do not need to be expensive. Both Monoprice and Blue Jeans Cable, for example, offer cables like this at reasonable prices.
--Bob
gwsat and bigapp like this.

post #19279 of 36764 Old 08-06-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Do you have the TV turned off while you are playing the CDs? If so, try leaving the TV on and see if the problem goes away. If the problem DOES go away then what's likely happening is your "off" TV is generating HDMI handshakes which cause the OPPO to pause playback for about 2 seconds. There may be settings in your TV you can make to prevent this.
--Bob
Thanks for the quick reply Bob, well the problem happens while the Tv is on and also off but HDMI connected, i have to check my tv, is possible that handshakes is generated during the tv is off?

i tested in another place (not HDMI connected) and i haven't noticed the pause
post #19280 of 36764 Old 08-06-2017, 08:26 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M321C View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Bob, well the problem happens while the Tv is on and also off but HDMI connected, i have to check my tv, is possible that handshakes is generated during the tv is off?

i tested in another place (not HDMI connected) and i haven't noticed the pause
Yes. Most HDMI devices these days are not really "off" -- they are in "standby". HDMI CEC (remote control over the HDMI cables) is a common culprit. The device has to keep its HDMI sockets live for that to work.
--Bob

post #19281 of 36764 Old 08-06-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Yes. Most HDMI devices these days are not really "off" -- they are in "standby". HDMI CEC (remote control over the HDMI cables) is a common culprit. The device has to keep its HDMI sockets live for that to work.
--Bob
Thanks a lot for your reply Bob, i'll check my Tv options
post #19282 of 36764 Old 08-06-2017, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmercer3 View Post
Have not heard from a 940E owner that has found a window for target luminance. Being my panel is similar to the Z9D I will start at 800 and start playing... unless of course you guys have heard of a nicer number?
Do you own a 940E? If so why are you messing with the Strip Metadata or SDR conversion features? I've not messed with Strip Metadata for several months so I don't know if it's been improved at all. I was only playing with Strip Metadata last winter because the 940D has a FW issue in HDR mode that causes local dimming to not function correctly when Motion Flow is turned off. Turn on MF to any setting and local dimming works as it's supposed to. With local dimming working correctly, HDR mode provides far better results than anything I was able to achieve using Strip Metadata.
galonzo likes this.

Sony XBR-75X940D -- Marantz AV8802A -- Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tribute Towers -- Paradigm Studio v5 CC590 --
Paradigm Studio v5 ADP590 (4) surrounds -- Cambridge Audio Azure 840W for Front R&L -- Onkyo TX-NR906 for Center and all Surrounds :( but it works --
Oppo UDP-203 -- Roku Ultra -- DirecTv HR54 DVR
post #19283 of 36764 Old 08-07-2017, 12:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Liked: 2448
Quote:
And did you? And did it work?
--Bob
No, this is such a long movie that I won't be watching again for quite a long time.

lujan
516 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
post #19284 of 36764 Old 08-07-2017, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGeek99 View Post
Do you own a 940E? If so why are you messing with the Strip Metadata or SDR conversion features? I've not messed with Strip Metadata for several months so I don't know if it's been improved at all. I was only playing with Strip Metadata last winter because the 940D has a FW issue in HDR mode that causes local dimming to not function correctly when Motion Flow is turned off. Turn on MF to any setting and local dimming works as it's supposed to. With local dimming working correctly, HDR mode provides far better results than anything I was able to achieve using Strip Metadata.
yeah so I had that 'aha!' moment last night testing Fury Road... I went to adjust the luminance and it was shaded out... i realized then it was just an SDR conversion feature. Thought we had the ability to adjust highlights IN hdr, that would be a cool feature... either way, problem solved

Video: 75X940E/60E8000 Plasma (Formerly; 78JS9500/58c8000/75hu8550/78ju7500) BD Player: OPPO UDP-203
Audio: Marantz 7010 / SVS PB-13 Ultra / Klipsch RF-7ii RC-64ii Polk M70's IC-5800 (5.1.4)
post #19285 of 36764 Old 08-07-2017, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring5 View Post
Your projector has black frame insertion. If the flicker bothers you, switch to 60hz or turn clear motion drive off. Flicker is not noticeable at 60hz.

I’m using BFI with a Sony A1E. At 24hz, the flicker does not bother me. Everyone has different sensitivities to the flicker.

JVC feature for your projector:

Clear Motion Drive's high-precision interpolation algorithm enhances the precision of picture-character detection to generate an accurate intermediate frame even for images with rapid movement. Whether broadcasting signal or movie content, viewers can enjoy smoother and clearer images with reduced motion blurring. JVC has upgraded this function with an improved interpolation algorithm along with black frame insertion.

Read article below:

https://www.cnet.com/news/black-fram...us-to-lcd-tvs/
I remember a few years ago at work, one desk light was causing a high frequency flicker, but none of my co-workers could see it.
post #19286 of 36764 Old 08-07-2017, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thanks to all on the HDMI cable suggestions. Looks like I will be buying either Blue Jeans Cable or Monoprice Ultra Premium HD cables. Is it best to buy direct from either of them?

On another note where is the best place to buy a UDP-203? Oppo direct is slightly cheaper than Crutchfield but Crutchfield offers free shipping. There is only about $10.00 difference, I am more concerned if I have any issues with it. I figured that if I buy direct from OPPO it should come with the latest firmware updates.

I have been wanting to buy the UDP-203 every since it first came out but when I started following this thread and heard of some of the issues I decided to wait and see. It looks like OPPO is getting the issues corrected I only hope they get the HDMI input working properly and this should be a excellent disc player for the future.
post #19287 of 36764 Old 08-07-2017, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay221 View Post
I remember a few years ago at work, one desk light was causing a high frequency flicker, but none of my co-workers could see it.
I'm the same way with lip sync issues, sometimes it takes me out of the movie and I obsess with getting it perfect. I have to tell myself to stop watching the lips and look at the eyes during long conversations.

LG OLED55C7P -- OPPO UDP-203 -- Denon 1613 -- BIC America F12 Sub -- SVS Prime LCR

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.
post #19288 of 36764 Old 08-07-2017, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDoxie View Post
I'm the same way with lip sync issues, sometimes it takes me out of the movie and I obsess with getting it perfect. I have to tell myself to stop watching the lips and look at the eyes during long conversations.
Perhaps Oppo should provide a blindfold with each shipment then the lip synch problem will be solved and everyone on this forum will praise them for great customer service. I don't understand why many of you have no problem spending so much money on a supposedly top of the line product that has so many problems.
post #19289 of 36764 Old 08-07-2017, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectionist2 View Post
Perhaps Oppo should provide a blindfold with each shipment then the lip synch problem will be solved and everyone on this forum will praise them for great customer service. I don't understand why many of you have no problem spending so much money on a supposedly top of the line product that has so many problems.
Do you own one?

Mine, and for most others, works just fine!

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo UDP-203 | Roon ROCK Music Server | ATV4K | Vero 4K+ | LG OLED 65E6P | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1's | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2) | GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra | Unraid NAS 40TB
post #19290 of 36764 Old 08-07-2017, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Liked: 2190
Quote:
Thanks to all on the HDMI cable suggestions. Looks like I will be buying either Blue Jeans Cable or Monoprice Ultra Premium HD cables. Is it best to buy direct from either of them?
I like Monoprice for the value and wide selection of their products, and you will generally get the best end price buying directly from them (plus you can occasionally find a discount coupon to further reduce the cost). Note, however, that their UHD premium certified cables have been reported to be rather stiff, which could be problematic if you need to install them with any sharp bends.

I have also been very satisfied with the quality/value of various audio and video cables from Mediabridge, including their Ultra Series HDMI cable, which I am currently using in the 10-foot length. Mediabridge has apparently not bothered to obtain the UHD Premium Certification, but they claim that their cables are individually hand-tested and they provide a lifetime guarantee that they will work for "all HDMI 2.0b functions including 18Gbps transfer speed, 4K, UHD, 3D, 48-Bit Deep Color, HDR video & ARC." Mine have handled everything I've thrown at them so far without a hitch.

Quote:
On another note where is the best place to buy a UDP-203? Oppo direct is slightly cheaper than Crutchfield but Crutchfield offers free shipping. There is only about $10.00 difference, I am more concerned if I have any issues with it. I figured that if I buy direct from OPPO it should come with the latest firmware updates.
Installing firmware updates on the UDP-203 at home is pretty simple, so that should not be a factor in your purchasing decision. For price, customer service, and free shipping you might also check with forum sponsor AV Science, which is where I purchased my unit. Call them at (877) 823-4452 for pricing.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page