Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 645 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279373Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #19321 of 37553 Old 08-08-2017, 11:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Dundas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
That sounds like the OPTION button on the remote. Is it really undocumented in the remote spreadsheet?

-Bill
Option is command 88. Looks like they have duplicated it on command 13
Dundas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19322 of 37553 Old 08-08-2017, 11:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post
Thanks for those pics. But it also looks like it does not show the full name of the file across the screen the way media players do

It looks like it is showing a partial name and after certain amount of letters, it cuts off


Can anyone confirm this is the case ?
Picky. Picky.

When playing back a file and using the long-press version of the Info Button, yes, really long filenames are cut off. Some data changes realtime, but not filename. Personally, I can generally tell from that little bit of info, along with the "x/x" indicator what the file is. I suppose if I wanted to find the whole filename, I'd just press STOP and go back to the menu I came from to see it. Playing the file again with a single press of the button will then default to Resume back where you were in the file.

Attached photo is of the menu system before I selected the file to play shown in the previous 3 photos. You'll note my very long filename at the top of the directory listing DOES SCROLL when selected, and it shows at the bottom of the screen in full view for good measure. IDK what happens on the bottom if you go super-crazy with a really long filename that is wider than your display can handle, but you could always wait for it to scroll on by up above. If I need more detail on my files than what the menu system provides, or to perform file management, I just go back to my Mac and can get anything I want -- but that's just me.

Hope that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1316.jpg (46.4 KB, 157 views)
BertL is offline  
post #19323 of 37553 Old 08-08-2017, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
detroit1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 42
ok thanks for the info. It it still baffling why they didn't have the normal info across the screen that every other media player has

instead it looks like when you long press info, their own smaller window comes up with the name, data,etc
detroit1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19324 of 37553 Old 08-08-2017, 12:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post
ok thanks for the info. It it still baffling why they didn't have the normal info across the screen that every other media player has
instead it looks like when you long press info, their own smaller window comes up with the name, data,etc
Personally, I don't want the filename to clutter my display upon video playback. A short press of the info button will display basics in one line at top and bottom of the screen, and you can then use page up/down to see different info (which is in aggregate most of the long-press info), but it does not contain filename -- only the x/y position in the directory structure. With video you have to use the long press to see the first part of the filename (photo 1), or go back to the menu system where it is displayed in full (photo 4). I guess that's a big deal for your usage case, but for me if I had some reason to care about a video filename, pressing STOP while I'm watching a non-Blu-ray movie returns me to the menu where the full name of the file is displayed (4th photo), then I can press play again and via auto resume the video picks up where it left off. I'm fine with that for the seldom times I care about the name of the file.

We all have different requirements which is fine. Good luck in your pursuit.
BertL is offline  
post #19325 of 37553 Old 08-08-2017, 03:07 PM
Member
 
jae44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I asked about this a month ago but don't think an answer ever came through so I am going to re-post...my Marantz sr5007 doesn't do 4K HDR pass through; but since my Sony XBR950B isn't HDR I didn't think it was an issue. Do you suggest I send the video feed from the Oppo straight to tv anyway? If I do, will there/should there be much of an appreciable difference?
jae44 is offline  
post #19326 of 37553 Old 08-08-2017, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 14,574
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 2115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jae44 View Post
I asked about this a month ago but don't think an answer ever came through so I am going to re-post...my Marantz sr5007 doesn't do 4K HDR pass through; but since my Sony XBR950B isn't HDR I didn't think it was an issue. Do you suggest I send the video feed from the Oppo straight to tv anyway? If I do, will there/should there be much of an appreciable difference?

You cannot run video through your AVR. It does not support HDCP 2.2 which is required for UHD Blu-ray. You will need to run video directly to your 950B and run the second HDMI to your Marantz for Audio.
galonzo likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
teachsac is offline  
post #19327 of 37553 Old 08-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Member
 
jae44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
You cannot run video through your AVR. It does not support HDCP 2.2 which is required for UHD Blu-ray. You will need to run video directly to your 950B and run the second HDMI to your Marantz for Audio.
I'm confused then...everything I have read on my Marantz sr5007 says it does 4K...there is a 4K setting in the video processing menu. I just thought it lacked HDR capability?
jae44 is offline  
post #19328 of 37553 Old 08-08-2017, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,339
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2279 Post(s)
Liked: 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by jae44 View Post
I'm confused then...everything I have read on my Marantz sr5007 says it does 4K...there is a 4K setting in the video processing menu. I just thought it lacked HDR capability?
It can pass 4K signals on non-protected content. So for example you could play a 4K YouTube video through it but for any Netflix, Amazon, and 4K Blu-ray, you won't be able to since that model lacks HDCP 2.2 and content on those services require it.
JimP likes this.
mutelight is offline  
post #19329 of 37553 Old 08-08-2017, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
veger69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertL View Post
Picky. Picky.



When playing back a file and using the long-press version of the Info Button, yes, really long filenames are cut off. Some data changes realtime, but not filename. Personally, I can generally tell from that little bit of info, along with the "x/x" indicator what the file is. I suppose if I wanted to find the whole filename, I'd just press STOP and go back to the menu I came from to see it. Playing the file again with a single press of the button will then default to Resume back where you were in the file.



Attached photo is of the menu system before I selected the file to play shown in the previous 3 photos. You'll note my very long filename at the top of the directory listing DOES SCROLL when selected, and it shows at the bottom of the screen in full view for good measure. IDK what happens on the bottom if you go super-crazy with a really long filename that is wider than your display can handle, but you could always wait for it to scroll on by up above. If I need more detail on my files than what the menu system provides, or to perform file management, I just go back to my Mac and can get anything I want -- but that's just me.



Hope that helps.


Where do you get the 4k digital files?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7.2.4 Anthem AVM60
Marantz MM9000, MM7055, Odyssey Stratos Stereo Extreme amps
Revel F52's and C52 center (4)M106 surrounds (4) C763L ceiling
Zappiti One HDR 4K, OPPO UDP-203
veger69 is offline  
post #19330 of 37553 Old 08-08-2017, 05:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by veger69 View Post
Where do you get the 4k digital files?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Several sources including YouTube and http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=4k
budeone and vipervick like this.
BertL is offline  
post #19331 of 37553 Old 08-09-2017, 04:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Ruislip, Greater London. UK.
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Finally have my 203 connected to a 4K OLED TV via an Onkyo TX-NR555 receiver. I have a question about the HDR button on the remote, as I can't see any visible difference in the picture when toggling between HDR Off, Forced or Auto. Furthermore, in all three case, my TV reports that the format it's displaying is HDR(PQ). Thoughts?
steverobertsbbc is online now  
post #19332 of 37553 Old 08-09-2017, 05:43 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,616
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked: 4551
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertsbbc View Post
Finally have my 203 connected to a 4K OLED TV via an Onkyo TX-NR555 receiver. I have a question about the HDR button on the remote, as I can't see any visible difference in the picture when toggling between HDR Off, Forced or Auto. Furthermore, in all three case, my TV reports that the format it's displaying is HDR(PQ). Thoughts?
What output resolution and custom resolution are you using?

Are you playing a UHD disc with HDR?

What does the OPPO Extended Info popup display for both Media Info and HDMI Output?

-Bill
Superman23 likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #19333 of 37553 Old 08-09-2017, 05:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertsbbc View Post
Finally have my 203 connected to a 4K OLED TV via an Onkyo TX-NR555 receiver. I have a question about the HDR button on the remote, as I can't see any visible difference in the picture when toggling between HDR Off, Forced or Auto. Furthermore, in all three case, my TV reports that the format it's displaying is HDR(PQ). Thoughts?
What kind of OLED do you have? LG, Sony, Panasonic? ...and what sort of content are you watching to make this determination?

I have a Sony A1E and I'd suggest that even if you have the HDR handshake working through all three of your devices, some less-extreme content/scenes won't necessarily look different between SDR and HDR -- the SDR can be that good on my panel much of the time. Also, while watching content on your OPPO, do a long press on the Info Button to ensure you have not inadvertantly changed some other settings on your player that eliminates some of the detail going up to your panel (see first post for settings info)... and while you're at it, ensure your AVR isn't doing anything to the signal as well.

UPDATE: @wmcclain -- looks like were were typing about the same time and are of similar mindsets on our next questions!
Superman23 likes this.
BertL is offline  
post #19334 of 37553 Old 08-09-2017, 08:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Ruislip, Greater London. UK.
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Problem solved. If you're in pause on a disc and change the HDR mode, it doesn't actually 'take' the new setting until you hit play again.

TV is the brand new Panasonic TX-55EZ952, BTW.
Mike_WI likes this.
steverobertsbbc is online now  
post #19335 of 37553 Old 08-09-2017, 08:54 AM
Member
 
zpeedster_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I've experienced some "banding" on Scarlett J face in Ghost in Shell dvd & Kong dvd. Also experienced this on some tv shows from usb drive. When I plug into my LG Oled tv there is no banding on the light-skinned faces of the characters. I have latest update ...0622, running 2 separate hdmi prem, certified cables into tv & Pioneer. I did not notice this banding previously. I use the recommended oled settings from here. Any ideas?

LG OLED65C6P - OPPO UDP-203 - Pioneer SC-1522K - Emotiva XPA-3 - Polk RTI12 & CSiA6 - SVS PB12-NSD - TiVo ota Roamio
zpeedster_m is offline  
post #19336 of 37553 Old 08-09-2017, 09:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpeedster_m View Post
I've experienced some "banding" on Scarlett J face in Ghost in Shell dvd & Kong dvd. Also experienced this on some tv shows from usb drive. When I plug into my LG Oled tv there is no banding on the light-skinned faces of the characters. I have latest update ...0622, running 2 separate hdmi prem, certified cables into tv & Pioneer. I did not notice this banding previously. I use the recommended oled settings from here. Any ideas?
Since all looks well when your OPPO is connected directly to your LG, it seems to me that you've isolated the issue to your AVR and/or the unique cable(s) associated with it as causing the issue. I'd first try swapping the cables and pursue any settings you have in your AVR. GOOD LUCK!
BertL is offline  
post #19337 of 37553 Old 08-09-2017, 10:17 AM
Senior Member
 
EricE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertL View Post
Several sources including YouTube and http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=4k
I have downloaded most of those file and some play and some do not on my Sony X800.

I think my player has a bitrate limit to something around 100Mbps before it start to stutter.

Can the UDP-203 play these high bitrate files some in excess of 170+ Mbps?
EricE is online now  
post #19338 of 37553 Old 08-09-2017, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
detroit1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Great Question about the bitrate. I have LG 4K TV and it plays most every 4K File but I have noticed that some with that type of bitrate will stutter
detroit1 is offline  
post #19339 of 37553 Old 08-09-2017, 10:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricE View Post
I have downloaded most of those file and some play and some do not on my Sony X800.

I think my player has a bitrate limit to something around 100Mbps before it start to stutter.

Can the UDP-203 play these high bitrate files some in excess of 170+ Mbps?
IDK what may be a max bitrate playback rate, so will defer to others. ...but, IMHO it's not just the player that could potentially cause an issue in what's finally displayed.

I'll just generically say that of the dozens of UHD, HEVC, 10-bit, HDR, etc files I've downloaded and/or watched, nothing has yet caused an issue with my OPPO UDP-203 -> Denon AVR-X4300H -> Sony A1E setup with quality cables (see sig line), but then again, I don't inspect every file or piece of content as to what it's specs are, or seek out something that may be beyond the norm which may cause a problem. I tend to be more into watching content, and if I ever ran into a problem would probably go inspect it at that point.

UPDATE: If you provide a link to (free legal) content you'd like me to try, please provide that and I'll report back.

Last edited by BertL; 08-09-2017 at 10:44 AM.
BertL is offline  
post #19340 of 37553 Old 08-09-2017, 10:50 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 10,332
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1961 Post(s)
Liked: 2372
^ Keep in mind that there are factors other than the player itself which will impact which files will play and which files will have problems such as stuttering. If streaming over a home network, keep in mind that WiFi or a 100mbps connection will be limiting factors; a hard wired gigabit connection is pretty much required to play high bitrate files over your network. Similarly, if playing from a low end flash drive or old USB drive, the performance of the storage device can be an issue if it can't deliver the bits to the player quickly enough for smooth playback.
galonzo likes this.
gsr is offline  
post #19341 of 37553 Old 08-09-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
galonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: most usually, somewhere in the midwest...
Posts: 2,234
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 1848
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertL View Post
Several sources including YouTube and http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=4k
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricE View Post
I have downloaded most of those file and some play and some do not on my Sony X800.

I think my player has a bitrate limit to something around 100Mbps before it start to stutter.

Can the UDP-203 play these high bitrate files some in excess of 170+ Mbps?
I can say that i haven't had any problem with any of the HDR files from that site (yes, I've downloaded all of them, including the ones from TV manufacturers that were recently pulled); I didn't, however, inspect the playback rate, so I can't help there.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4500H (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.4) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Shield
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | TiVo Mini | Roku P+
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - Hot Fuzz and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
galonzo is offline  
post #19342 of 37553 Old 08-09-2017, 11:17 AM
Senior Member
 
SL600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
^ Keep in mind that there are factors other than the player itself which will impact which files will play and which files will have problems such as stuttering. If streaming over a home network, keep in mind that WiFi or a 100mbps connection will be limiting factors; a hard wired gigabit connection is pretty much required to play high bitrate files over your network. Similarly, if playing from a low end flash drive or old USB drive, the performance of the storage device can be an issue if it can't deliver the bits to the player quickly enough for smooth playback.
There is a site with video bitrate test files. See: http://jell.yfish.us/
Hope this helps...
BertL likes this.

LG OLED65C8PUA, F/W: 05.20.00 (Engineering Mode)
Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820
SL600 is offline  
post #19343 of 37553 Old 08-09-2017, 11:34 AM
Senior Member
 
EricE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
I can say that i haven't had any problem with any of the HDR files from that site (yes, I've downloaded all of them, including the ones from TV manufacturers that were recently pulled); I didn't, however, inspect the playback rate, so I can't help there.
All from Demo UHD 3D

http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=73
Overall bit rate : ~ 135 Mb/s (up to 288 Mb/s !)

http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=77
Overall bit rate : 112 Mb/s

http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=68
Overall bit rate : 89.3 Mb/s

There were more but the links have been deleted. LG Chess was one of them.
EricE is online now  
post #19344 of 37553 Old 08-09-2017, 12:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Per previous posts, just tried a couple things for @EricE and others. (Thanks to @SL600 for the Jellyfish link too!)

My environment: OPPO UDP-203 -> Denon AVR-X4300H -> Sony A1E setup with quality cables. Each file was downloaded, placed on a 480GB SSD and played back using my OPPO UDP-203 USB 3.0 port:

NO STUDDERING OR OTHER ISSUES with any of the following -- just glorious OLED video
  • Shanghai 4K Video (up to 288Mbps)
  • Jellyfish 120Mbps 4K UHD HEVC 10bit
  • Jellyfish 200Mbps 4K UHD HEVC 10bit
  • Jellyfish 300Mbps 4K UHD HEVC 10bit
  • Jellyfish 400Mbps 4K UHD HEVC 10bit
  • -- Which at times exceeded 500Mbps according to the OPPO Info display as I played it back
gsr, EricE, Taxcheat and 2 others like this.
BertL is offline  
post #19345 of 37553 Old 08-09-2017, 12:49 PM
Senior Member
 
EricE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Great playback from the Oppo!

My setup is a bit different than yours though.
I'm playing those same files through a Sony X800 player through DNLA shares to my home file server.
It's an older i7 PC running gigabit throughout the whole house wired. I don't think it is a network bandwidth problem.

Maybe if I play them locally through a USB 3.0 drive it would be stutter free?

Can the Oppo play back Atmos or DTS:x files too?
EricE is online now  
post #19346 of 37553 Old 08-09-2017, 12:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricE View Post
Great playback from the Oppo!

My setup is a bit different than yours though.
I'm playing those same files through a Sony X800 player through DNLA shares to my home file server.
It's an older i7 PC running gigabit throughout the whole house wired. I don't think it is a network bandwidth problem.

Maybe if I play them locally through a USB 3.0 drive it would be stutter free?

Can the Oppo play back Atmos or DTS:x files too?
As has been suggested, somewhere in your setup you are introducing delays. That home server environment is a likely culprit. Try putting the file on a USB 3.0 device and you may then want to move over to the X800 thread to pursue it further.

The OPPO can handle nearly any format you throw at it, including Dolby Vision today. Not an issue.
BertL is offline  
post #19347 of 37553 Old 08-09-2017, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 3,029
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2454 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Question...

What "happens" to the Oppo 203 when HDMI 2.1 comes out later this year/early next year

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
New24K is offline  
post #19348 of 37553 Old 08-09-2017, 01:01 PM
Senior Member
 
EricE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The reason that I'm asking here is I'm still thinking of getting a 203 eventually.
I've been running a 83SE for years and it has been flawless for me.

I've tried the Samsung and Panasonic UB900 UHD players but I eventually settled for the Sony X800.

Hopefully once the HDMI Input on the Oppo 203 (or the next player) is corrected I'll buy that and be settled on a UHD player till 8K comes out...
EricE is online now  
post #19349 of 37553 Old 08-09-2017, 01:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricE View Post
The reason that I'm asking here is I'm still thinking of getting a 203 eventually.
I've been running a 83SE for years and it has been flawless for me.

I've tried the Samsung and Panasonic UB900 UHD players but I eventually settled for the Sony X800.

Hopefully once the HDMI Input on the Oppo 203 (or the next player) is corrected I'll buy that and be settled on a UHD player till 8K comes out...
In that case if I were you, I'd get things under control first with your DNLA server to eliminate any bandwidth constraints wherever they may be. The OPPO is the best player I've ever owned, but if you are streaming high volumes of content to it in a bottlenecked environment, it will never meet your expectations. Good luck in your pursuit.
BertL is offline  
post #19350 of 37553 Old 08-09-2017, 01:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Question...

What "happens" to the Oppo 203 when HDMI 2.1 comes out later this year/early next year
Assuming you're not asking just a rhetorical question, we could ask the same question of every AVR and TV manufacturer who will be presented with the same challenge. Electronics standards continually evolve and gear always becomes outdated at some point in time. Nothing is permanently future-proofed. The answer is unknown and I would not expect ANY manufacturer to state what may happen.
oldsteve, bigapp and chi_guy50 like this.
BertL is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off