Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 651 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279151Likes

post #19501 of 37227 Old 08-14-2017, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 2118
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B_0673 View Post
what is GLL?
thanks
dan
Gaming Low Latency. It turns all motion processing off on the Vizio. For some reason Blur and Judder set to 0 still does not turn it all off. Give that a try and sync if it fixes your sync issues with the Oppo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19502 of 37227 Old 08-14-2017, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Montemayor View Post
^^^ This is the SAME issue I have been having. Dolby Vision disks need different delay settings than HDR10.
Ok, sounds like this is common occurrence. I'll give Oppo a call in hopes they get enough feedback they will give it more attention. Still a great player and I figured there would be some hiccups with DV being new.

————————————
TV: P65-E1 AVR: Yamaha A3060 5.2.4
Speakers: Chane A5RX-Cs, A2.4, and A1.4s
Ceiling: 4x RSL C34Es Subs: 2x Rythmik LVX12s
Oppo-203, DTV 4K, 4k FireTV, and Xbox X
post #19503 of 37227 Old 08-14-2017, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I live in Canada, where should I buy one?
cj_offshore likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19504 of 37227 Old 08-14-2017, 02:42 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4640 Post(s)
Liked: 4486
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2Girls View Post
Anything come up here? http://www.oppodigital.com/WhereToBuy.aspx

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #19505 of 37227 Old 08-14-2017, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Gaming Low Latency. It turns all motion processing off on the Vizio. For some reason Blur and Judder set to 0 still does not turn it all off. Give that a try and sync if it fixes your sync issues with the Oppo.
thanks

Dan
post #19506 of 37227 Old 08-14-2017, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAGINAERUM View Post
I have the oppo 203 and for me it´s a mystery how you can release a "premium" product with poor (smudged) black levels on a non HDR 4K TV.

I assume they test the product before releasing it. For me it was obvious after a few seconds that something was wrong. Way to dark and non detailed image. My first UHD movie inserted in the Oppo was Independence day 2. Lots of space scenes and black details was far more worse (smudged) than watching the same movie on bluray - in the same player. On the UHD it´s like having a black filter over the image.

Read about converting HDR to SDR and that solved some but not all. The black filter feeling is almoast gone. But details in black are still not "premium".
So my question is. How is that possible to NOT see before releasing a product?
The next firmware release will be very important in this regard. Oppo has responded to me in writing that they are working on it, and as a long-time Oppo owner, I am confident they will deliver. Personally, I think that HDR-SDR conversion should have been addressed before Dolby Vision, but maybe it was a licensing requirement that made the DV implementation a priority. In any case, the next FW update (beta coming soon...?) will be telling and I'm looking forward to it.
SimpleTheater and IMAGINAERUM like this.
post #19507 of 37227 Old 08-14-2017, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked: 566
We have not gotten any new firmware in almost 2 months we used to get something every month it seemed. Do not get me wrong I am very happy with my 203 and it performance but i am sure there are some features that need a little tweaking like Dolby Vision . I hope oppo plans to release something soon.
post #19508 of 37227 Old 08-14-2017, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 2090
Posting retail links is not permitted:

Quote:
No street price talk or retail links please.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #19509 of 37227 Old 08-14-2017, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2Girls View Post
You might want to be a bit more specific than "Canada". Better questions get better answers!

The link Bill provided to OPPO's "find a reseller" has a 100 mile limit - not much use in most of Canada, it just returns "sorry" unless you're within that range.

Solutions AV in Markham Ontario seems to be the only authorized reseller in Ontario ... Contact info from Google or the OPPO website (just use a Toronto post code). Good people to deal with. I bought my 103 there.
vfrbest, daveatkinson and artiecon like this.

Sony VPL HW40ES - Elunevision Studio 4K 108" fixed screen
Axiom speakers: 2 x M60 fronts, VP160 centre, 2 x QS4 surrounds, 2 x M3 on-wall surround backs
Polk RC60 x 4 in-ceiling - SVS PC12 NSD
Sony UBP X800, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Cisco cable box, Belkin PF30
post #19510 of 37227 Old 08-14-2017, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I am quite interested to get this player.. from the reviews this is supposed to be really good.. but here we have a thread that grows about 100 page a month or 3 pages a day. I think there seems to be too many issues? What do you guys really think so far.
I will be viewing 1080P BD and very limited UHD BD through a 1080P projector. From what I read there is some issue HDR->SDR black levels, but oh well, have the 1080P BD available
veger69 likes this.
post #19511 of 37227 Old 08-15-2017, 03:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSignal View Post
I am quite interested to get this player.. from the reviews this is supposed to be really good.. but here we have a thread that grows about 100 page a month or 3 pages a day. I think there seems to be too many issues? What do you guys really think so far.
I will be viewing 1080P BD and very limited UHD BD through a 1080P projector. From what I read there is some issue HDR->SDR black levels, but oh well, have the 1080P BD available
Without a 4K display, why not just stick with a 1080 regular BD player? 'Better the devil you know', as they say. Surely you could find a used 103 player for sale if you desire an Oppo.

On the flip side, I do not have any real issues with my player. It performs admirably. But I use a direct connection to a 4K display (LG B6 oled), probably one of the most trouble free type uses.
post #19512 of 37227 Old 08-15-2017, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilljoe View Post
You might want to be a bit more specific than "Canada". Better questions get better answers!

The link Bill provided to OPPO's "find a reseller" has a 100 mile limit - not much use in most of Canada, it just returns "sorry" unless you're within that range.

Solutions AV in Markham Ontario seems to be the only authorized reseller in Ontario ... Contact info from Google or the OPPO website (just use a Toronto post code). Good people to deal with. I bought my 103 there.
You can buy directly from the Oppo website and Oppo also sells directly on amazon.com
post #19513 of 37227 Old 08-15-2017, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
I personally have zero issues with my UDP-203. It's the best player I've ever owned, hands down.

Realize that some threads grow because this is an enthusiast forum with passionate people that care sometimes about more obscure functionality, or capabilities that are more unique compared to big-box players. It's well known that people with a problem will tend to tell 10 times more people, than those that are happy. E.g. it's not common to have a happy owner without any problems to create a sign-on just to come here to make a single post that they are happy with their purchase. Many enthusiasts here also like to dive into an issue and help others where they can, or sometimes just add a comment -- which adds to a thread's length. This player was also the first consumer model in the industry to have Dolby Vision, so lots of discussion continues as we all learn from that implementation, and I suspect Dolby and OPPO go through an initial learning curve with the new tech being out in the wild as new content becomes available for consumers to actually use.

SO, my net is, length of a thread and discussion does not by itself correlate to a problematic product. The UDP-203 isn't perfect. For owners that care about the HDMI In capability, it has some issues in select use cases; there are concerns about black levels for some owners; and a few other niggling issues. They are a big deal to those that have a problem with the way they are wanting to use the player, but I suspect for even more owners, the OPPO is a GREAT product. In your particular case, I agree with @glangford . If you're only going to watch 1080p and don't have a need for any of the additional capabilities OPPO provides, save your money.
kluken, gwsat, Tom C and 7 others like this.
post #19514 of 37227 Old 08-15-2017, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
I have two of these. One has a defective HDMI in. I can't say anything good about the product. Getting functionality has been a struggle since arrival. What is really sad is that it is probably the best on the market.

Meridian Audio G65 Sound Processor/UHD 722 HDMI Audio Processor/M6 Active Speakers, Sony A1E 65" OLED 4k UHD, Apple TV, Sony UBP-X1100ES
post #19515 of 37227 Old 08-15-2017, 07:56 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5830 Post(s)
Liked: 8304
^ The player has a 2 year Warranty. Send the one with "defective HDMI In" back for service.

Or did you mean to say, "The firmware sill has issues with respect to full functionality of the HDMI Input"?
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #19516 of 37227 Old 08-15-2017, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 239
On a 1080p TV, which looks better--UHD Blu-ray or Blu-ray version?

OK, I only have four UHD Blu-ray titles, and each of them is packaged with a standard Blu-ray disc. I have only done very limited comparisons of the two formats on my Samsung 67" DLP projection TV. I did do the comparison with Independence Day Resurgence. I assumed the picture might be a bit better with the UHD Blu-ray, but after comparing them I found that I felt the picture was a bit better by playing the Blu-ray version. One thing is, I do not like any loss of shadow detail due to "black crush".

What has been your experience, and are there any settings on the 203 that can make the UHD Blu-ray version look better on my TV than the standard Blu-ray version? Thanks!

FAMILY ROOM--Legacy Signature II tower speakers(Front L/R), PSB Image 5T tower speakers(Surrounds), Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, AR ES-1 turntable w/ Audioquest 404-B cartridge, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player, RCA HD-DVD player, Samsung HL67A 750A TV
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Sherbourn 5/1500A 5-channel amp, Oppo BDP-83 Universal Disc Player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
post #19517 of 37227 Old 08-15-2017, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
Quote:
Without a 4K display, why not just stick with a 1080 regular BD player? 'Better the devil you know', as they say. Surely you could find a used 103 player for sale if you desire an Oppo.

On the flip side, I do not have any real issues with my player. It performs admirably. But I use a direct connection to a 4K display (LG B6 oled), probably one of the most trouble free type uses.

I will be getting a 4K TV behind the screen maybe around Black Friday. I don't have 3D right now so I'm looking at this player to replace my plain BD player to try 3D on projector. I read the picture processing is better on the oppo. I can't find a used 103 for much less than the new price of 203.

But yes I am doing it for PQ and 3D. My current player is 7 years old and loads really slowly.
post #19518 of 37227 Old 08-15-2017, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
OK, I only have four UHD Blu-ray titles, and each of them is packaged with a standard Blu-ray disc. I have only done very limited comparisons of the two formats on my Samsung 67" DLP projection TV. I did do the comparison with Independence Day Resurgence. I assumed the picture might be a bit better with the UHD Blu-ray, but after comparing them I found that I felt the picture was a bit better by playing the Blu-ray version. One thing is, I do not like any loss of shadow detail due to "black crush".
It's fairly pointless* playing a UHD disc onto a HD SDR display. Converting a HDR signal to SDR is not trivial and something has to give somewhere, be it in the highlights or the lowlights - this is essentially what the 'slider' on the Panasonic players does, allowing you to choose where you're losing the detail. Stick to the HD Blu-ray discs that have specifically been graded for SDR until you eventually change up to a 4K HDR projector.

* unless you're desperate for Dolby Atmos sound or potentially a bit wider colour gamut.
galonzo likes this.
post #19519 of 37227 Old 08-15-2017, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertL View Post
I personally have zero issues with my UDP-203. It's the best player I've ever owned, hands down.

Realize that some threads grow because this is an enthusiast forum with passionate people that care sometimes about more obscure functionality, or capabilities that are more unique compared to big-box players. It's well known that people with a problem will tend to tell 10 times more people, than those that are happy. E.g. it's not common to have a happy owner without any problems to create a sign-on just to come here to make a single post that they are happy with their purchase. Many enthusiasts here also like to dive into an issue and help others where they can, or sometimes just add a comment -- which adds to a thread's length. This player was also the first consumer model in the industry to have Dolby Vision, so lots of discussion continues as we all learn from that implementation, and I suspect Dolby and OPPO go through an initial learning curve with the new tech being out in the wild as new content becomes available for consumers to actually use.

SO, my net is, length of a thread and discussion does not by itself correlate to a problematic product. The UDP-203 isn't perfect. For owners that care about the HDMI In capability, it has some issues in select use cases; there are concerns about black levels for some owners; and a few other niggling issues. They are a big deal to those that have a problem with the way they are wanting to use the player, but I suspect for even more owners, the OPPO is a GREAT product. In your particular case, I agree with @glangford . If you're only going to watch 1080p and don't have a need for any of the additional capabilities OPPO provides, save your money.
As for Example. I do not get the people that buy the OPPO 203 that do not have 4k /hdr displays. I know this player is labeled as Universal player but its main purpose was meant for 4k/hdr/DV disk. To the people on the forum that say Oppo should fix the HDR to SDR conversion first before fixing Dolby Vision issues I don't get you. If you do not have a 4k/hdr display why even waste your money on this player there are many other players that will handle your needs at a cheaper price and we do not have hear the constant complaining that the 203 cant do this or that.
D.R.Archer likes this.

LG OLED 65C6P | Yamaha RX-A2070 | Oppo UDP-203 | Paradigm SE Speakers
post #19520 of 37227 Old 08-15-2017, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ The player has a 2 year Warranty. Send the one with "defective HDMI In" back for service.

Or did you mean to say, "The firmware sill has issues with respect to full functionality of the HDMI Input"?
--Bob
I'm using the one with defective HDMI In just for DVD play. It is the unit that has the problem, not the firmware.

So far, with the other, I've had two audio drops-one was fixed with a channel change and the other a quick on and off. That matches Oppo's statement on the status of the firmware. No picture stutter or anything of major consequence.

Meridian Audio G65 Sound Processor/UHD 722 HDMI Audio Processor/M6 Active Speakers, Sony A1E 65" OLED 4k UHD, Apple TV, Sony UBP-X1100ES
post #19521 of 37227 Old 08-15-2017, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruckus View Post
As for Example. I do not get the people that buy the OPPO 203 that do not have 4k /hdr displays. I know this player is labeled as Universal player but its main purpose was meant for 4k/hdr/DV disk. To the people on the forum that say Oppo should fix the HDR to SDR conversion first before fixing Dolby Vision issues I don't get you. If you do not have a 4k/hdr display why even waste your money on this player there are many other players that will handle your needs at a cheaper price and we do not have hear the constant complaining that the 203 cant do this or that.
Personally, I was six months between buying the Oppo and buying a 4K OLED, with an upgrade to a 4K capable amp in between. I needed a new player that could handle multi-region BD, SACD and DLNA duties but at the time the display I was waiting for was still six months away.
post #19522 of 37227 Old 08-15-2017, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 585
The only issue I've encountered on my 203 was audio dropouts while streaming Flac files from my NAS. My Freenas Server has Plex Media Server installed, and I tend to stream directly from Freenas as a DLNA service, rather than Plex for movies and music. The 203 loads movies from the Freenas DLNA service much faster than from Plex. When it comes to music, using the same method, I discovered the audio drop outs when streaming directly from Freenas, but this is not the case when streaming music from Plex. So the audio dropout issue in my situation has been solved by just using Plex's DLNA Service.

Other than that, the 203 has been an excellent addition to my set up and plays all of my UHD Discs, as well as standard DVDs and Blu Rays.

My display is not capable of handling Dolby Vision, but it's a non-issue for me. HDR10 works fine.
galonzo likes this.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #19523 of 37227 Old 08-15-2017, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1805
Quote:
But, if you want the Oppo brand, then you've not got much of a choice! (Unless you go used market....) So, I get why people that don't have 4K capability would still want an Oppo. And they are educating themselves here about the pros and cons. Plus, it's still a pretty good disk music player too......
Creature Boy, artur9 and WMConey like this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #19524 of 37227 Old 08-15-2017, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2315 Post(s)
Liked: 2170
Quote:
1. There are many owners who spent a considerable amount of money on 4K displays before HDR support was included. The Oppo allows them to get the benefits of 4K resolution and BT.2020 from UHD discs.
2. For most titles released to date, Atmos and DTS:X are only available on the UHD discs. Many consider Atmos and DTS:X to be just as much of an improvement as HDR.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #19525 of 37227 Old 08-15-2017, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:

You seem to be forgetting the people that own 4k displays that don't do HDR, the people that own projectors that do HDR but not great, and the people that need the UHD disk for Atmos but not for the 4k or HDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wl1 and Daniel Chaves like this.
post #19526 of 37227 Old 08-15-2017, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4589 Post(s)
Liked: 2664
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeHawk View Post
You can buy directly from the Oppo website and Oppo also sells directly on amazon.com
Or you can buy from Crutchfield like me where I didn't pay for shipping or taxes.
RagtopFE likes this.

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #19527 of 37227 Old 08-15-2017, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Because 4K and HDR are not inseparable. At launch, there were (and still are) many displays and projectors that are native 4K but don't support HDR. Compared with the user base for the relatively new Dolby Vision (software which was rolled out months later), prioritizing HDR-SDR performance would have made sense.

The reasons I picked the Oppo over the Panny player are numerous. I am also a long-time customer and previously had (and still have) the BDP-95. I like the company, their quality, and when they say they are going to fix something, they always have in the past. For the record, I still also have my ten year-old Panasonic BD30 which is in regular use in another room.
Daniel Chaves likes this.
post #19528 of 37227 Old 08-15-2017, 12:18 PM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:

I don't get Dolby Vision being considered as a priority over SDR issues either. There's hardly any content, and anyone who is serious about Movies watches on a Big Screen (not a TV). And all the moaning about black bars - I just don't get it. ;-)

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
post #19529 of 37227 Old 08-15-2017, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
I don't get Dolby Vision being considered as a priority over SDR issues either. There's hardly any content, and anyone who is serious about Movies watches on a Big Screen (not a TV). And all the moaning about black bars - I just don't get it. ;-)
I'am serious about movies but I can't afford 16 grand to buy a projector.

LG 65C7T - SONY BRAVIA 65"Z9D
Marantz SR6012 - Pioneer SCLX 58 - Apple 4KTV
Oppo UBD 203/205- Oppo BDP 103 - Panasonic DMP UB900
Playstation 4 - Mordaunt Short Speakers
post #19530 of 37227 Old 08-15-2017, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybee View Post
I'am serious about movies but I can't afford 16 grand to buy a projector.
16 grand? I know where you can get a JVC RS420 for way less than that.

Edit: removed price

Last edited by Buddylee123; 08-15-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page