Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 656 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 280411Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #19651 of 38812 Old 08-21-2017, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 2,140
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I do not really understand what you are saying here? If you have a non compatible DV display shouldnt you get HDR10?
I am not sure as I was paraphrasing what Oppo emailed me. I have posted their actual reply below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppo Service
If the disc has Dolby Vision and you do not have a Dolby Vision compatible display, then the player will output at 60Hz. This is a requirement by Dolby because, at any time, Dolby Vision needs to be available for output. The player needs to be able to clock for that transmission, so the player is internally running at 60Hz. There is no way to output at 24Hz with Dolby Vision contents.
My follow up question to them is it will display at 24 Hz with a Dolby Vision compatible display and could there be an option in the future to disable it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppo Service
If you have a Dolby Vision compatible display the player will output at 24Hz.

There is likely not going to be a user setting that would allow for 24Hz output for Dolby Vision when there is a non-compatible display connected. Dolby has a lot of requirements for Dolby Vision, which even includes of not disabling Dolby Vision when a Dolby Vision display is detected, so it is not likely at this time that we will be able to make exceptions for a non-Dolby Vision display.

Last edited by Sango; 08-21-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Sango is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19652 of 38812 Old 08-21-2017, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,398
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6191
Jesus...

If I understand that correctly, it makes absolutely no sense that the disc has to be output at 60hz when your display cannot do DV.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
X800M2 / Dune HD Pro 4K
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / RP-500SA / FV15HP (5.1.2)
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #19653 of 38812 Old 08-21-2017, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 588
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 145
when i click on a dolby vision movie ,like the fate of the furious ,is says 24p
galonzo likes this.

greatone99
Dave Scurrah is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19654 of 38812 Old 08-21-2017, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,850
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5804 Post(s)
Liked: 4159
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Jesus...

If I understand that correctly, it makes absolutely no sense that the disc has to be output at 60hz when your display cannot do DV.
There will be a lot of unhappy owners of non DV displays, if they are forced to watch a DV encoded movies using 3:2 cadence for HDR10. That would be the death of DV.

FWIW, I tested F8 UHD on my Panny 900, and it shows 24 fps. So is what OPPO trying to say that if the player is DV capable, it will send out 60 hz HDR10 to non DV tv's, while players that cant do DV, will send it out correctly at 24 hz?

Last edited by wxman; 08-21-2017 at 05:15 PM.
wxman is offline  
post #19655 of 38812 Old 08-21-2017, 05:21 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 9
new beta coming.....

Just got the new beta for HDR10 on the HDMi input! So far so good!
grtuck and Nando64 like this.

Sony xbr65x850c - Oppo Udp203 - Roku Premiere+ - Pioneer Elite SC-82
dannyg1255 is offline  
post #19656 of 38812 Old 08-21-2017, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,850
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5804 Post(s)
Liked: 4159
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1255 View Post
Just got the new beta for HDR10 on the HDMi input! So far so good!
How about strip metadata? Is that better? Does it fix the elevated blacks at times with DV movies?
Nando64 likes this.
wxman is offline  
post #19657 of 38812 Old 08-21-2017, 05:24 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
How about strip metadata? Is that better?
Haven't gotten there yet. It's just testing for HDR10 on the input so I plan to watch the defenders in the next 2 days and see what i see.
wxman and Nando64 like this.

Sony xbr65x850c - Oppo Udp203 - Roku Premiere+ - Pioneer Elite SC-82
dannyg1255 is offline  
post #19658 of 38812 Old 08-21-2017, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,398
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6191
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
There will be a lot of unhappy owners of non DV displays, if they are forced to watch a DV encoded movies using 3:2 cadence for HDR10. That would be the death of DV.

FWIW, I tested F8 UHD on my Panny 900, and it shows 24 fps. So is what OPPO trying to say that if the player is DV capable, it will send out 60 hz HDR10 to non DV tv's, while players that cant do DV, will send it out correctly at 24 hz?
That is what I am trying to clarify, if so, that is galactically stupid.
wxman and Nando64 like this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
X800M2 / Dune HD Pro 4K
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / RP-500SA / FV15HP (5.1.2)
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #19659 of 38812 Old 08-21-2017, 05:41 PM
Senior Member
 
DarthDoxie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Rocky Mountains
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1255 View Post
Just got the new beta for HDR10 on the HDMi input! So far so good!
Don't see the public beta on the support page and if you are a beta tester you're not supposed to talk about it . Please clarify.

LG OLED55C7P -- OPPO UDP-203 -- Denon 1613 -- BIC America F12 Sub -- SVS Prime LCR

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.
DarthDoxie is offline  
post #19660 of 38812 Old 08-21-2017, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 2,140
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDoxie View Post
Don't see the public beta on the support page and if you are a beta tester you're not supposed to talk about it . Please clarify.
Looks like Oppos Beta testers can speak of certain information as permitted. I do not see anything wrong with him saying he has got a beta firmware, however if he mentions in detail what the beta contains, that could be a problem unless otherwise.
Sango is offline  
post #19661 of 38812 Old 08-21-2017, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
galonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: most usually, somewhere in the midwest...
Posts: 2,486
Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1550 Post(s)
Liked: 2157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sango View Post
Oppo replied and this is an expected option and this is done if the unit is hooked to a non compatible Dolby Vision display, it will lock at 60 Hz. This one of the requirements from Dolby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Jesus...

If I understand that correctly, it makes absolutely no sense that the disc has to be output at 60hz when your display cannot do DV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Scurrah View Post
when i click on a dolby vision movie ,like the fate of the furious ,is says 24p
You may have gotten a rep that isn't completely "in the know", @Sango ; I just tried Power Rangers, Furious 8, and Despicable Me, and all played as HDR-10 @ 24Hz (actually 23.976, according to the 203's output info; my display also shows 24Hz in, @wxman ).
wxman and gadgtfreek like this.

Main: XBR-85X950H | X4500H (5.1.4) | UDP-203 | TiVo Bolt | 2019 Shield Pro | PS4 Pro | CCU
2nd: XBR-65X950G | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | TiVo Mini | ATV (4thGen)
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K | Roku P+ (4630)
FS - Dr. Strangelove (1964) and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
galonzo is online now  
post #19662 of 38812 Old 08-21-2017, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,339
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 887
At this point, is it fair to say that the Oppo HDMI Input will not work for the current AppleTV? My processor has not been updated with HDMI 2.0 switching I really would benefit from the input on the Oppo working.

I need to plug in my oppo directly to the projector so the HDMI input on the oppo is really critical at that point.

In my walls, we did not run a second hdmi wire to the projector unfortunately and this would be a serious undertaking.

Is there another blu-ray player brand that does this better at this point?

Blazar!
blazar is offline  
post #19663 of 38812 Old 08-21-2017, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 2,140
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sango View Post
Oppo replied and this is an expected option and this is done if the unit is hooked to a non compatible Dolby Vision display, it will lock at 60 Hz. This one of the requirements from Dolby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Jesus...

If I understand that correctly, it makes absolutely no sense that the disc has to be output at 60hz when your display cannot do DV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Scurrah View Post
when i click on a dolby vision movie ,like the fate of the furious ,is says 24p
You may have gotten a rep that isn't completely "in the know", @Sango ; I just tried Power Rangers, Furious 8, and Despicable Me, and all played as HDR-10 @ 24Hz (actually 23.976, according to the 203's output info; my display also shows 24Hz in, @wxman ).
Those titles don't have DV. Correct? I do not have issues with 4K HDR titles like as Magnificent 7 and it outputs 24p fine. Just Resident Evil as it saids Dolby Vison on source; not a big deal since I will use that BD Disc instead.

The Sony TV I have is not HDR or DV. Will plan to get a new TV in the future.
Sango is offline  
post #19664 of 38812 Old 08-21-2017, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,850
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5804 Post(s)
Liked: 4159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sango View Post
Those titles don't have DV. Correct? I do not have issues with 4K HDR titles like as Magnificent 7 and it outputs 24p fine. Just Resident Evil as it saids Dolby Vison on source; not a big deal since I will use that BD Disc instead.

The Sony TV I have is not HDR or DV. Will plan to get a new TV in the future.
Those titles all are DV.
galonzo likes this.
wxman is offline  
post #19665 of 38812 Old 08-21-2017, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 2,140
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sango View Post
Those titles don't have DV. Correct? I do not have issues with 4K HDR titles like as Magnificent 7 and it outputs 24p fine. Just Resident Evil as it saids Dolby Vison on source; not a big deal since I will use that BD Disc instead.

The Sony TV I have is not HDR or DV. Will plan to get a new TV in the future.
Those titles all are DV.
I will see if I get a chance to try the unit on my parent's Sony 65XBR930D playing Resident Evil to see what I get.

My Sony KDL-42W700B is old!!!
Sango is offline  
post #19666 of 38812 Old 08-21-2017, 11:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
At this point, is it fair to say that the Oppo HDMI Input will not work for the current AppleTV? My processor has not been updated with HDMI 2.0 switching I really would benefit from the input on the Oppo working.

I need to plug in my oppo directly to the projector so the HDMI input on the oppo is really critical at that point.

In my walls, we did not run a second hdmi wire to the projector unfortunately and this would be a serious undertaking.

Is there another blu-ray player brand that does this better at this point?
Using an ATV4 has no problems at this time such as the one I use, its not a HDMI 2.0 device anyway.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #19667 of 38812 Old 08-21-2017, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Is Oppo ever going to add streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon, Vudu to the 203.??

ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Unknowable. For now no.
Just don't see the need. You need a digital streaming receiver that see's constant app updates, not saddle Oppo with policing streaming hosts to develop custom apps. Sure it will cost more then having it built in, but your not locked to a particular interface or app collection. Personally I am waiting for the J105a (ATV5) to arrive as I like beta tvOS 11 interface better then Roku's.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #19668 of 38812 Old 08-21-2017, 11:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
There will be a lot of unhappy owners of non DV displays, if they are forced to watch a DV encoded movies using 3:2 cadence for HDR10. That would be the death of DV.

FWIW, I tested F8 UHD on my Panny 900, and it shows 24 fps. So is what OPPO trying to say that if the player is DV capable, it will send out 60 hz HDR10 to non DV tv's, while players that cant do DV, will send it out correctly at 24 hz?
The player will output at 60 Hz when doing a HDR to SDR conversion to a 1080P display. You can't use the forced HDR/power cycle to play DV UHD media as HDR10 in that example because 4K and HDR is not part of the chain.
galonzo likes this.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #19669 of 38812 Old 08-21-2017, 11:41 PM
Senior Member
 
hlindstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Finland
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertL View Post
I do not have this problem with my UDP-203 -> Denon AVR -> Sony A1E -- no matter what content I play. My TV always returns to an OPPO menu as I expect.

Your pressing the Resolution button a number of times to resolve the problem sounds like a handshake issue. Have you tried different HDMI cables, and at a bare minimum ensured the connection between both HDMI plugs & sockets is good (sometimes re-seating them helps)?
I experimented again yesterday. No problems this time . Player returned to player menu each time with picture. I played both UHD discs and 2160p files.

Your're right. Sounds like a hand shake issue. Strange because I'm using certified cable and there is not even AV amp in the signal chain.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Oppo UDP-203 (60-0625) and Oppo BDP-83 both hw region modded, M9702 v3 "Chinoppo" (65-0131), Apple TV 4K 32GB, LG OLED55E6V 55", Asustor 2-Bay NAS currently 8TB
hlindstr is offline  
post #19670 of 38812 Old 08-22-2017, 12:52 AM
Senior Member
 
kristoffer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I hope the HDMI in HDR can also do DV.
galonzo likes this.
kristoffer77 is offline  
post #19671 of 38812 Old 08-22-2017, 12:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 17,089
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12883 Post(s)
Liked: 12257
Good news: after previously inquiring to oppo about passing an HDR signal through the input, oppo today randomly replied a 2nd time with a test firmware, assuming it has the hdr input ability.

Bad news: won't be able to download and test until tomorrow or Wednesday.

Oppo support truly is unreal.

They did not say anything about not telling anybody seems like as long as you request it, they will send it to you to test out. I don't think it's a secret firmware. Just a roll out test.
audiofan1, captainbrent and grtuck like this.
ray0414 is offline  
post #19672 of 38812 Old 08-22-2017, 01:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer77 View Post
I hope the HDMI in HDR can also do DV.
What would you use to test this?

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #19673 of 38812 Old 08-22-2017, 01:29 AM
Senior Member
 
kristoffer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
What would you use to test this?
Good point! The new LG UHD player or hopefully the next Apple TV.
kristoffer77 is offline  
post #19674 of 38812 Old 08-22-2017, 01:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sillysally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,162
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Just don't see the need. You need a digital streaming receiver that see's constant app updates, not saddle Oppo with policing streaming hosts to develop custom apps. Sure it will cost more then having it built in, but your not locked to a particular interface or app collection. Personally I am waiting for the J105a (ATV5) to arrive as I like beta tvOS 11 interface better then Roku's.
I am here to tell you that Ruko (I have a P+) takes a back seat to the Panasonic UB900 4K's streaming apps PQ and SQ.
If you have a Oppo 4K Blu Ray player you probably value PQ/SQ and besides Ruko's lesser PQ/SQ they are very buggie and there is only one HDMI output.

Why not "saddle Oppo with policing streaming hosts to develop custom apps".
The apps are developed by the streaming host, Oppo just needs to implement the apps. Plus the Beta testers and users do a lot of trouble shooting/'policing' for Oppo.
Anyway Oppo doesn't seem to mind being 'saddle' with having to ship there products from China to the America's.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"
LG77C8, Klein K10-A, Jeti 1211, CMS Lightspace, Calman home plus licence for K10-A, Murideo 6G.

Last edited by sillysally; 08-22-2017 at 01:49 AM.
sillysally is offline  
post #19675 of 38812 Old 08-22-2017, 02:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NightHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chaptico Md.
Posts: 1,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Just don't see the need.


Streaming through the Oppo's has been a perfect way to get 7.1 Audio into legacy receivers via the analog outputs, a very appreciated feature. Unfortunately I'll need to find another way once I upgrade to the 203. I plan to use my TV (LG-OLED) as a streaming device and will probably need to use a fiber audio connection limited to 5.1.


Does anyone know if the 203 HDMI input supports ARC?
NightHawk is offline  
post #19676 of 38812 Old 08-22-2017, 02:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
Operon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer77 View Post
I hope the HDMI in HDR can also do DV.
What would you use to test this?
The Chromecast Ultra I believe is now capable of pushing Dolby Vision.
galonzo and kristoffer77 like this.
Operon is offline  
post #19677 of 38812 Old 08-22-2017, 04:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Sebring5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk View Post
Streaming through the Oppo's has been a perfect way to get 7.1 Audio into legacy receivers via the analog outputs, a very appreciated feature. Unfortunately I'll need to find another way once I upgrade to the 203. I plan to use my TV (LG-OLED) as a streaming device and will probably need to use a fiber audio connection limited to 5.1.


Does anyone know if the 203 HDMI input supports ARC?
No-the HDMI out supports ARC.

Meridian Audio G65 Sound Processor/UHD 722 HDMI Audio Processor/M6 Active Speakers, Sony A1E 65" OLED 4k UHD, Apple TV, Sony UBP-X1100ES
Sebring5 is offline  
post #19678 of 38812 Old 08-22-2017, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NightHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chaptico Md.
Posts: 1,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring5 View Post
No-the HDMI out supports ARC.


Was thinking I might be able to pass audio back from the LG TV to the Oppo and out to the receiver.
NightHawk is offline  
post #19679 of 38812 Old 08-22-2017, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sikclown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 2,594
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1682 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk View Post
Was thinking I might be able to pass audio back from the LG TV to the Oppo and out to the receiver.
Curious as to why you would want to set it up this way? I don't think it will work since that port on the Oppo is not ARC capable.

LG OLED 65C7P, Denon AVR-X7200WA, Apple 4K, Oppo UDP-203, PS4, Xbox One X
Nvidia Sheild Pro, HTPC, (2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (4)RS-52IIs,, (1)RP-450CA,
(4) RP-140SA, SVS PB12-Plus, Emotiva XPA-100, XPA-200, Emotiva A-700
LG OLED 55C8PUA, Denon x4400h, Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820,
Nvidia Shield, Klipsch G-42,(2) R-3650-W-II,(4) RSL-C34E, SVS SB-1000, UPA-200
sikclown is offline  
post #19680 of 38812 Old 08-22-2017, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NightHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chaptico Md.
Posts: 1,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
Curious as to why you would want to set it up this way? I don't think it will work since that port on the Oppo is not ARC capable.


I have a non-HDMI receiver so I use my current Oppo 95 to stream movies and feed the audio to the receiver using its analog connections. I need to upgrade to 4K and while the 203 has analog outputs there's no more streaming apps.


I considered using a dedicated streaming device and feeding it to the HDMI input on the 203 but that input doesn't support HDR (along with a lot of other issues it seems from reading in here). Deal breaker.


So my soon-to-be LG TV has all the streaming apps but only a 5.1 Toslink audio out. It does however support ARC so I was thinking this might be a way to get 7.1 audio from streamed content from the TV into the Oppo and on to the receiver. I have no experience using ARC.


Make sense? I just can't bring myself (yet) to chuck a $4500 flagship Denon receiver in the dumpster just because it doesn't support the latest video format.
Joe_Noir likes this.

Last edited by NightHawk; 08-22-2017 at 06:19 AM.
NightHawk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off