Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 675 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279151Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #20221 of 37220 Old 09-09-2017, 11:13 PM
Member
 
DigitalJackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Not sure if this is a 203 issue, but posting here to see if others have seen this -

I watched Pacific Rim 4K and noticed some flickering periodically throughout the movie. I went back to those same areas where I saw the issue and it's repeatable.... looks to happen near chapter beginnings. I only have 5 UHD movies, so not a large sample but have not seen this happen on any of the others.

______________

My Build Thread
DigitalJackson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #20222 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 12:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Hi,

I own the OPPO 203 and tried to install the Latest Public Beta Test Version. At the moment my firmware version is 46-0622 an I Reid to upgrade to the beta version via thumb drive, but I got an error and was not able to install the beta.
Any ideas what I can do now?

thank you
Erwin2017 is offline  
post #20223 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 03:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Mark1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 46
HDMI video dropouts

I experienced a lot of video dropouts using my 203, connected to a 8802A and a LGE6. They tend to last something like 2 or 3 seconds as a complete blackout, but with continuing sound. Frequency increases while watching. As it might to be related to HDMI handshaking I tried different ports and many different start-up orders. Nothing really helped. I did not try direct connecting to the LG yet, as I would prefer using the Marantz as a general switch without unstable CEC, to make things less complicated for other users.

Finally I tried also turning on my 105 (mostly used now as an audio device) and that seems to be the solution. It looks like the 105 is in the HDMI chain somewhere (IP control is on for app use) and interfering regularly. Is their a solution for this behavior, so that it is not necessary to turn all my gear on every time?

Any help is appreciated!
Mark
Mark1000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #20224 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 05:14 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,530
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 4485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin2017 View Post
Hi,

I own the OPPO 203 and tried to install the Latest Public Beta Test Version. At the moment my firmware version is 46-0622 an I Reid to upgrade to the beta version via thumb drive, but I got an error and was not able to install the beta.
Any ideas what I can do now?

thank you
Are you in North America and trying to install firmware for that region, or elsewhere?

What is the exact error message you are seeing?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #20225 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 05:17 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,530
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 4485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1000 View Post
I experienced a lot of video dropouts using my 203, connected to a 8802A and a LGE6. They tend to last something like 2 or 3 seconds as a complete blackout, but with continuing sound. Frequency increases while watching. As it might to be related to HDMI handshaking I tried different ports and many different start-up orders. Nothing really helped. I did not try direct connecting to the LG yet, as I would prefer using the Marantz as a general switch without unstable CEC, to make things less complicated for other users.

Finally I tried also turning on my 105 (mostly used now as an audio device) and that seems to be the solution. It looks like the 105 is in the HDMI chain somewhere (IP control is on for app use) and interfering regularly. Is their a solution for this behavior, so that it is not necessary to turn all my gear on every time?

Any help is appreciated!
Mark
Remove the 105 for now.

As a diagnostic, do connect the player directly to the display and see if the behavior changes.

How long are your cables, and what kind of cables are you using? Do you have other certified cables you could use?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #20226 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 05:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Are you in North America and trying to install firmware for that region, or elsewhere?

What is the exact error message you are seeing?

-Bill
Hi, no I'm from Europe: Message is Cannot find a valid firmware upgrade file! I downloaded it from opponents direct.

regards
Erwin2017 is offline  
post #20227 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 05:49 AM
Member
 
JeroenTop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin2017 View Post
Hi, no I'm from Europe: Message is Cannot find a valid firmware upgrade file! I downloaded it from opponents direct.



regards
I had this as well. Problem is the bin-file you need to have is zipped.

What you have to do is this.
Unzip the file (once, not recursively, the bin will otherwise be unzipped in the process to a directory).

Hope it works. Did for me

Jeroen Top
Samsung UE40KU6479, NAD t787, Oppo UDP-205
Anthony-Gallo 5.1: Strada 2 (L/R), A'Diva SE (C/SL/SR), TR-3D
JeroenTop is offline  
post #20228 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 05:50 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,530
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 4485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin2017 View Post
Hi, no I'm from Europe: Message is Cannot find a valid firmware upgrade file! I downloaded it from opponents direct.

regards
Sorry, I don't know what "opponents direct" direct is. Is that your OPPO distributor?

What is the name and exact size of the file you have downloaded? I recall an issue with firmware in the UK being packaged incorrectly.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #20229 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 06:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Sorry, I don't know what "opponents direct" direct is. Is that your OPPO distributor?

What is the name and exact size of the file you have downloaded? I recall an issue with firmware in the UK being packaged incorrectly.

-Bill
Hi to Jeroen and wmcclain,

I made the download from OPPOs site (sorry for the fault in my post before) it's an BIN-file 138.065.920 Byte. I unzipped it like the proposal from Jeroen but it's the same problem and failure message.
Download from oppodigital

Thanks
Erwin2017 is offline  
post #20230 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 06:11 AM
Member
 
JeroenTop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin2017 View Post
Hi to Jeroen and wmcclain,



I made the download from OPPOs site (sorry for the fault in my post before) it's an BIN-file 138.065.920 Byte. I unzipped it like the proposal from Jeroen but it's the same problem and failure message.

Download from oppodigital



Thanks
Hi, you should download it from the oppo.co.uk website with this link: http://oppodownloads.s3.amazonaws.co...U-50-0817B.zip

Then you have to unzip it (once, you get the .bin file)

The bin you downloaded is probably from oppo.com and is not the necessary EU version.

Jeroen Top
Samsung UE40KU6479, NAD t787, Oppo UDP-205
Anthony-Gallo 5.1: Strada 2 (L/R), A'Diva SE (C/SL/SR), TR-3D
JeroenTop is offline  
post #20231 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 06:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Mark1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 46
HDMI video dropouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Remove the 105 for now.

As a diagnostic, do connect the player directly to the display and see if the behavior changes.

How long are your cables, and what kind of cables are you using? Do you have other certified cables you could use?

-Bill
Thanks Bill, I will definitively experiment further with cabling. I use a mixture of 'high speed' (like the one supplied with the 105) and certified for the UHD chain. Mostly shorter runs, max 5 meter to the display. Unfortunately, I do not own two longer certified cables at this moment to connect them separately. But: is a cable to blame? If I turn on the 105 there is no problem whatsoever with dropouts. And probably so if I take it out completely (have to try that one too, but it takes time and attention to wait for dropouts). So that looks like no shortage of bandwidth but failed/misinterpreted handshakes to me. A better cable is not able to do something about that, is it? Or do I miss something then?

Mark
Mark1000 is offline  
post #20232 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 06:36 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,530
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 4485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1000 View Post
Thanks Bill, I will definitively experiment further with cabling. I use a mixture of 'high speed' (like the one supplied with the 105) and certified for the UHD chain. Mostly shorter runs, max 5 meter to the display. Unfortunately, I do not own two longer certified cables at this moment to connect them separately. But: is a cable to blame? If I turn on the 105 there is no problem whatsoever with dropouts. And probably so if I take it out completely (have to try that one too, but it takes time and attention to wait for dropouts). So that looks like no shortage of bandwidth but failed/misinterpreted handshakes to me. A better cable is not able to do something about that, is it? Or do I miss something then?

Mark
The change the 105 makes is mysterious. It must be altering some state in the receiver, but I don't know what that would be. If there is a thread for that receiver you might ask if anyone else has found that the presence of one input alters the behavior of another input.

When diagnosing mysterious behavior we simplify the configuration until it works properly, then add back the complicating factors one by one. Got to be systematic about this or we are just fumbling.

When altering the variables we first go for the easy changes that have most often been a problem. A huge amount of problem solving has involved HDMI cables, even more so with UHD signals. So many times we hear "it can't be the cables" but it is the cables. In the early days we were junking mountains of old cables.

It may not be the case this time, but we have to try. Swap your cables around, reseat the connectors, get new UHD certified premium cables.

5 meters is getting to be a longish cable for UHD purposes.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #20233 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 06:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeroenTop View Post
Hi, you should download it from the oppo.co.uk website with this link: http://oppodownloads.s3.amazonaws.co...U-50-0817B.zip

Then you have to unzip it (once, you get the .bin file)

The bin you downloaded is probably from oppo.com and is not the necessary EU version.
Hi,

thanks I didn't know there are different versions. I tried the version from your link, reset after installation and it's running smooth :-)

Thank you very much for your help
Erwin2017 is offline  
post #20234 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 06:47 AM
Member
 
dslo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions getting past HDMI handshake issue with this player. I have a Denon 6300 receiver and Samsung KS8000 TV. When I turn on all devices to watch a movie, the Oppo home screen never appears automatically. I have to toggle the HDMI inputs on my TV between 1 and 4 for the Oppo screen to eventually appear. It's very annoying. Please let me know if you need any additional info to help me trouble shoot. Thanks.
dslo is offline  
post #20235 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 06:52 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,530
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 4485
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslo View Post
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions getting past HDMI handshake issue with this player. I have a Denon 6300 receiver and Samsung KS8000 TV. When I turn on all devices to watch a movie, the Oppo home screen never appears automatically. I have to toggle the HDMI inputs on my TV between 1 and 4 for the Oppo screen to eventually appear. It's very annoying. Please let me know if you need any additional info to help me trouble shoot. Thanks.
Do you have a standard order for turning on each device? Many have found TV first, receiver second, player last works well, but it may vary according to local circumstances.

Make sure the other devices have completed the startup before turning on the player.

-Bill
yanknuck likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #20236 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 06:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Mark1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
The change the 105 makes is mysterious. It must be altering some state in the receiver, but I don't know what that would be. If there is a thread for that receiver you might ask if anyone else has found that the presence of one input alters the behavior of another input.

When diagnosing mysterious behavior we simplify the configuration until it works properly, then add back the complicating factors one by one. Got to be systematic about this or we are just fumbling.

When altering the variables we first go for the easy changes that have most often been a problem. A huge amount of problem solving has involved HDMI cables, even more so with UHD signals. So many times we hear "it can't be the cables" but it is the cables. In the early days we were junking mountains of old cables.

It may not be the case this time, but we have to try. Swap your cables around, reseat the connectors, get new UHD certified premium cables.

5 meters is getting to be a longish cable for UHD purposes.

-Bill
You are right. Only systematic searching really solves aproblem. I will work on that some further.
I think I saw it in an other thread, I think it was a TV on standby that caused dropouts in an audio chain, so things like this do happen. Turning it off completely fixed it (was maybe CEC involved? I will check again that I turned that off in all my gear).
As my problem occurred with two Oppo's I thought trying first in an Oppo thread was the wisest thing to do.
Thank you for your help. If something new crosses your mind, please let me know.
Mark
Mark1000 is offline  
post #20237 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 07:12 AM
Member
 
Sanjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Delhi, India
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1975 View Post
was wondering , can the OPPO UDP-203 plays MKV. files with DTS MA/Dolby True. bitstream, that are stored on a Nas/Network ?
The Oppo will play MKV files, but is useless for MKV files with ATMOS/TrueHD. It is actually shocking that the Oppo is incapable of handling such a basic task. The Oppo is also incapable of playing 3D MKV files. Again, a pretty basic task that any media player ought to be able to do. I understand the Oppo not playing ISO files & BD folder structures, due to licensing requirements. But this is just plain incompetence.

PS: My comments are based on my experience with the Oppo BDP-103. But I think it's safe to presume the it's the same with the UDP-203.
Sanjay is offline  
post #20238 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 07:16 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,530
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 4485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
The Oppo will play MKV files, but is useless for MKV files with ATMOS/TrueHD. It is actually shocking that the Oppo is incapable of handling such a basic task. The Oppo is also incapable of playing 3D MKV files. Again, a pretty basic task that any media player ought to be able to do. I understand the Oppo not playing ISO files & BD folder structures, due to licensing requirements. But this is just plain incompetence.

PS: My comments are based on my experience with the Oppo BDP-103. But I think it's safe to presume the it's the same with the UDP-203.
You are wrong about the 203.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #20239 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,013
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslo View Post
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions getting past HDMI handshake issue with this player. I have a Denon 6300 receiver and Samsung KS8000 TV.
Can not speak to the Denon or Samsung but my Yamaha CX-A5100 AVP did have problems with the 203 and a Sony FMP-X10* media player. Procured a E-SDS HDMI Switch and most the switching problems went away. The 203, X10 and Sony UBP-X800 where set up to use one HDMI for video and the second HDMI for audio.

The 203 still had lock issues with the 5100 but I discovered that if I turned off the Main HDMI output of the 5100 it worked fine. The E-SDS is connected to the 2nd HDMI input of a Sony VLP-VW600 projector and the 5100 is connected to the 1st HDMI input of the VW600.

*Item sold and removed from system.
bigapp likes this.
Wendell R. Breland is offline  
post #20240 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 14,398
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Can not speak to the Denon or Samsung but my Yamaha CX-A5100 AVP did have problems with the 203 and a Sony FMP-X10* media player. Procured a E-SDS HDMI Switch and most the switching problems went away. The 203, X10 and Sony UBP-X800 where set up to use one HDMI for video and the second HDMI for audio.

The 203 still had lock issues with the 5100 but I discovered that if I turned off the Main HDMI output of the 5100 it worked fine. The E-SDS is connected to the 2nd HDMI input of a Sony VLP-VW600 projector and the 5100 is connected to the 1st HDMI input of the VW600.

*Item sold and removed from system.
I have had zero issues with my CX-A5100 and the 203 (or any other UHD player).

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
teachsac is offline  
post #20241 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 3,388
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
The Oppo will play MKV files, but is useless for MKV files with ATMOS/TrueHD. It is actually shocking that the Oppo is incapable of handling such a basic task. The Oppo is also incapable of playing 3D MKV files. Again, a pretty basic task that any media player ought to be able to do. I understand the Oppo not playing ISO files & BD folder structures, due to licensing requirements. But this is just plain incompetence.

PS: My comments are based on my experience with the Oppo BDP-103. But I think it's safe to presume the it's the same with the UDP-203.
To follow on from Bill's comment, you're not entirely right about the BDP-103 either. If you de-mux all the media streams from within such .mkv contained files and re-mux them using MKVmerge GUI, they become more stable...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #20242 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 09:41 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Post

Hi,
Please help upload firmware UDPATED 4/6/2017 - Official 42-0329 Firmware Released - for USA & EU.
for official website link was dead.
Thanks,


dantist is offline  
post #20243 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
groove93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 1,907
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
The Oppo will play MKV files, but is useless for MKV files with ATMOS/TrueHD.

This is not true.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
groove93 is offline  
post #20244 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 09:57 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,273
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5829 Post(s)
Liked: 8303
^ Thats old, outdated firmware. Are you sure that's what you want?

If you've already installed the current firmware you will not be able to roll back to that older firmware.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #20245 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 10:47 AM
Senior Member
 
citrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslo View Post
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions getting past HDMI handshake issue with this player. I have a Denon 6300 receiver and Samsung KS8000 TV. When I turn on all devices to watch a movie, the Oppo home screen never appears automatically. I have to toggle the HDMI inputs on my TV between 1 and 4 for the Oppo screen to eventually appear. It's very annoying. Please let me know if you need any additional info to help me trouble shoot. Thanks.
The problem is the Samsung TV KS8000 using that stupid "oneconnect". Check if you have the "latest" firmware update as have read recently in the Samsung KS8000/85000 forum the the hdmi input hunt have been improved.

I have a KS9000 & have had similar problems with the oneconnect where the ks9000 claims that it saw my connection at hdmi3 or hdmi4, both of which had no connections. Also importantly, I found that the oneconnect claims that it was connected at different port ids even tho they were the same hdmi2 but identified as hdmi2, BD, hdmi2/avr, pc, ????; at least I was able to have the 5 or 6 IDs resolved with the Harmony software setup for the various "input types".

On occasion, I also don't get the Oppo logo "immediately" but after some time. However, sometimes the Amazon Fire TV connected to Yamaha also doesn't show up either & I had to do something. This is with the "latest" 2 Samsung firmware updates (maybe really the latest 3 updates). The video was better but no idea what the programmers were thinking of when coding for the hdmi connections.......

I have the CEC junk turned off at all my equipment as it causes lots of problems after I tried it for use of the audio feedback for playing the audio with the hdmi4 connection.
dslo likes this.
citrus is offline  
post #20246 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
grendelrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 960
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
To follow on from Bill's comment, you're not entirely right about the BDP-103 either. If you de-mux all the media streams from within such .mkv contained files and re-mux them using MKVmerge GUI, they become more stable...
What format do they need to be in to read a MVC 3D Atmos file? I tried m2ts and mkv but was not successful. Been using MPC-HC to play my remade Gravity 3D Atmos disk. Would prefer to use the OPPO instead , upcoming Wonder Woman 3D disk will need to be remade for Atmos and 3D.
grendelrt is offline  
post #20247 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 11:17 AM
Member
 
dslo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Do you have a standard order for turning on each device? Many have found TV first, receiver second, player last works well, but it may vary according to local circumstances.

Make sure the other devices have completed the startup before turning on the player.

-Bill
I have a Harmony Elite remote. With and without it, the power on sequence didn't seem to help. Thanks.
dslo is offline  
post #20248 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 11:24 AM
Member
 
dslo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrus View Post
The problem is the Samsung TV KS8000 using that stupid "oneconnect". Check if you have the "latest" firmware update as have read recently in the Samsung KS8000/85000 forum the the hdmi input hunt have been improved.

I have a KS9000 & have had similar problems with the oneconnect where the ks9000 claims that it saw my connection at hdmi3 or hdmi4, both of which had no connections. Also importantly, I found that the oneconnect claims that it was connected at different port ids even tho they were the same hdmi2 but identified as hdmi2, BD, hdmi2/avr, pc, ????; at least I was able to have the 5 or 6 IDs resolved with the Harmony software setup for the various "input types".

On occasion, I also don't get the Oppo logo "immediately" but after some time. However, sometimes the Amazon Fire TV connected to Yamaha also doesn't show up either & I had to do something. This is with the "latest" 2 Samsung firmware updates (maybe really the latest 3 updates). The video was better but no idea what the programmers were thinking of when coding for the hdmi connections.......

I have the CEC junk turned off at all my equipment as it causes lots of problems after I tried it for use of the audio feedback for playing the audio with the hdmi4 connection.
Thanks. I can never figure out where the handshake issue actually stems from....the Denon, the Samsung, or the Oppo. I do have CEC turned off (for the reason you mentioned). With all this expensive equipment, you would think things works flawlessly. I do have everything set up correctly through my Harmony Elite remote but the issue still exists.
dslo is offline  
post #20249 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 11:37 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,530
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 4485
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
What format do they need to be in to read a MVC 3D Atmos file? I tried m2ts and mkv but was not successful. Been using MPC-HC to play my remade Gravity 3D Atmos disk. Would prefer to use the OPPO instead , upcoming Wonder Woman 3D disk will need to be remade for Atmos and 3D.
I don't know of any player that does 3D MVC in an MKV container, OPPO included.

It will do side-by-side and top-bottom formats.

It was reported here that M2TS does work with MVC but I have not tried it. If it doesn't work for you then it seems a more complex situation.

-Bill
SeeMoreDigital likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #20250 of 37220 Old 09-10-2017, 12:06 PM
Member
 
genegold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1000 View Post
I experienced a lot of video dropouts using my 203, connected to a 8802A and a LGE6. They tend to last something like 2 or 3 seconds as a complete blackout, but with continuing sound. Frequency increases while watching. As it might to be related to HDMI handshaking I tried different ports and many different start-up orders. Nothing really helped. I did not try direct connecting to the LG yet, as I would prefer using the Marantz as a general switch without unstable CEC, to make things less complicated for other users.

Finally I tried also turning on my 105 (mostly used now as an audio device) and that seems to be the solution. It looks like the 105 is in the HDMI chain somewhere (IP control is on for app use) and interfering regularly. Is their a solution for this behavior, so that it is not necessary to turn all my gear on every time?

Any help is appreciated!
Mark
Have you tried the new beta? So far, after two short sessions, it seems to have finally fixed major HDMI handshake problems I was having (see next post).

Last edited by genegold; 09-10-2017 at 12:31 PM.
genegold is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off