Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 686 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 278933Likes

post #20551 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Does anyone know when Opportunity will include streaming apps such as Netflix Amazon etc?
Or this is not expected at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20552 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
Does anyone know when Opportunity will include streaming apps such as Netflix Amazon etc?
This is not expected nor was it ever promised, they're sticking to what they do well.
Tarheels_23 likes this.
post #20553 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 06:31 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5795 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
Quote:
Does anyone know when OPPO will include streaming apps such as Netflix Amazon etc?
It is not expected at all. It could happen of course, but it is not expected.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20554 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
I doubt it. The HDMI In, under the proper circumstances, can pass all the UHD/HDR streaming services except Dolby Video though I expect it to be capable at some time in the future. At this point an external box should suffice in accommodating most people's needs.

Don't you just wish HDMI would crawl off to some darkened corner and die a sad, lonely death?
post #20555 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 07:51 AM
Mike D

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGA View Post
I have the latest beta firmware installed and have been trying to install the latest official firmware via the internet for the last three days without success. I keep getting "Cannot connect to the server." The internet connection test works fine and all my other internet devices work fine. Have tried powering down and pulling the power cord. There is no disc in the tray.

I know I can try the USB update but I have always updated via the internet. Don't understand why it has been a problem for three days. Suggestions?

Edit: Just tried Reset and cleared persistent memory. No help. Have emailed Oppo support.
I have the same issue after updating with USB for Beta. I did email OPPO also. I had to do the Official FW update via USB and not the Internet. Hoping someone has an answer!
Thanks
Mike
post #20556 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
*ANY* splitter or switch box may give you problems when you try to pass the higher bandwidth 4K video signals through it. You may have to hunt a bit for boxes that work reliably when you are viewing 4K video. That said, the cabling topology you just described should work.

Simpler, if you can find the box, is to use a 2 input / 2 output, configurable, HDMI "matrix" switch box: Wire Main and Audio HDMI from the OPPO to such a box. Wire the TV and projector to the two outputs. In configuration 1, set the box so that Main HDMI goes to the projector and Audio HDMI goes to the TV (which will receive a black screen of video at 1080p along with the audio). In configuration 2, set the box so that Main HDMI goes to the TV and Audio HDMI is not connected to EITHER output. Audio and video will then go to the TV.

I believe such matrix switch boxes exist, and that you can probably even find one that can be remote controlled. However I've not actually hunted up such a box myself. Start with Monoprice. This is definitely a specialty product, so you may need to look for sources that sell to the custom installer market.

As Bill said, check the HDMI forum here, as there are probably folks posting there who would have ideas where you can find such a box.
--Bob

Thank you all for your replies.

I like the idea of using this matrix switch and have now taken my post to the HDMI forum instead.

post #20557 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Buncha nervous Nellies.
--Bob
Well, I certainly wouldn't challenge what Bob or Oppo say, but I updated both of my 203s this weekend w/o doing a factory reset on either of them and they still work. I figured that if I found some anomaly after the update I could do it then (a bit presumptous of me, I admit). The 203 in my den system has no changes from defaults and the one in my living room only has the Strip Metadata feature set. Maybe that helps.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #20558 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
The problem is that the studios have pretty much abandoned delivering Extras features content over BD-Live.

Some studios still use BD-Live to transmit advertising (i.e., trailers for other films or ticker-style text advertising). Universal, for example. If you go to Top Menu on a Universal Blu-ray disc and see an advertising ticker open up on the upper right (there may be a settings choice in Top Menu to enable or disable that), then BD-Live is working. Or if you load the disc and see a message about "Loading a Fresh Preview", then that too is BD-Live in action.

But if you have a disc that was authored expecting the studio would have a server up and running with Extras content for you to watch via BD-Live, and if the studio has actually shut down that server, you will typically get one of two error messages:

1) Check your internet connection, or
2) This content is not currently available in your area.

-----------------------------------------

From a settings point of view, first do a Connection Test in Setup > Network Setup to check that your network connection really is live. If that comes back "OK" then next, check in Setup > Network Setup to see if you have BD-Live content enabled. (It is disabled by factory default.)

That will get you what BD-Live content is still available.

By the way, I typically use the BD-Live feature in the Bonus content on "Kung Fu Panda", Blu-ray, as an elementary test that the BD-Live stuff is actually working. For whatever reason, the studio has kept that "Po Around the World" content downloadable even after all this time.

And again, if you see a Fresh Preview before getting to Top Menu, or an advertising ticker on Top Menu, then you also know BD-Live is working.
--Bob
Thank you Bob!!!
post #20559 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2195 Post(s)
Liked: 2248
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Well, I certainly wouldn't challenge what Bob or Oppo say, but I updated both of my 203s this weekend w/o doing a factory reset on either of them and they still work.
I'm sure you'll be fine ignoring Bob's advice. After all, what's the worst that could happen?

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #20560 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Has anyone noticed that there are a lot fewer CDs that get their album art displayed since Oppo switched from Gracenote? Kind of annoying.

Even some old CD releases that I just bought don't show up.

Weird, the recent rerelease of Phil Collins "No Jacket Required" shows the back cover as the cover art! The bonus disc shows the front cover.

I asked Oppo support about this a while back and they just asked me to provide them with the titles that don't display.
richlife likes this.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #20561 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
4k Pass Through

I have a Pioneer SC LX-801. Right now my Oppo 203 is plugged into the AVR and then into the TV. Am a losing picture quality even though the receiver is set to bypass and nothing is being done intentionally at the AVRs end?

Pioneer SC-LX801: Atmos 5.2.4
Def. Tech. 8060 Fronts & Center - 8040 Surrounds
Def. Tech. XTR-20BP (4) Atmos Ceiling Mounted
Sony 55" XBR850B l Neeo Universal Remote
Oppo 203 l PS4 l Xbox One l Apple TV4K
post #20562 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'll admit I did not read all 686 pages (20k+messages). How well does the HDR to SDR conversion work? I have a Vizio 4k M tv WITHOUT HDR. Worth it or not? I imagine eventually I'll cycle this tv around to another room and upgrade but it is only 3 years old.
post #20563 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by everettcox22 View Post
I have a Pioneer SC LX-801. Right now my Oppo 203 is plugged into the AVR and then into the TV. Am a losing picture quality even though the receiver is set to bypass and nothing is being done intentionally at the AVRs end?
No that should be fine except for DV passthrough which AFAIK hasn't been provided in a FW update. (AVR is 2 years old)

Oppo Beta Group
post #20564 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
No that should be fine except for DV passthrough which AFAIK hasn't been provided in a FW update. (AVR is 2 years old)
OK great. Pioneer has confirmed with me via email they will be updating the firmware to support DV pass-though however no time line yet. They emailed me last week. Not a big issue for me as my TV does not support HDR. Waiting for the A1E to come down in price!

post #20565 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTing Wong View Post
Perhaps you are correct, I went to Pioneer to double check and this is all they say
"SC-99 supports transmission of 4K/60P/4:4:4/24-bit video signals and High Dynamic Range (HDR) signals, along with the latest HDCP 2.2 copyright protection standard. 4K Ultra HD pass-through is the newest and most exciting video standard boasting a resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 (24 Hz/25 Hz/30 Hz) pixels or 4,096 x 2,160 (24 Hz) pixels."

Not a word about Dolby Vision and all this time I thought it was capable of that.
And never will be, per their tech support as reported in another AVS forum. SC-95 owner here.....
post #20566 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettcox22 View Post
OK great. Pioneer has confirmed with me via email they will be updating the firmware to support DV pass-though however no time line yet. They emailed me last week. Not a big issue for me as my TV does not support HDR. Waiting for the A1E to come down in price!
The below was received from Pioneer Aug 28th for anyone who cares. Sorry this doesn't pertain more directly with the 203:

Hello Malcolm,

Thank you for contacting Pioneer product support about your question regarding Dolby vision with this receiver. This receiver will be getting the update for Dolby Vision but we just don't have a date yet as to when.

Thank you
Bryan

If you need further assistance feel free to call us at 1-844-679-5350.
Home Theater Product Support Team Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Friday 9am to 8pm EST
Saturday & Sunday 10am to 4pm EST
Or visit our website at www.pioneerelectronics.com for product information, authorized service & sales center locations, and warranty information.
If you need to contact our Parts and Service, TV Support, Car Audio, Industrial Products or Cycle Sports, please call 1-800-421-1404.
Parts and Service, TV Support, Car Audio, Industrial Products or Cycle Sports Hours of Operation: Monday thru Friday 9am to 5pm EST

post #20567 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have to say, Apple prides themselves on design and presentation even when a customer opens a new iphone or ipad or whatever, but unboxing the 203 was f'n awesome! Touche, Oppo, and I haven't even plugged it in.
ayrton, gwsat, CoffeeHawk and 9 others like this.
post #20568 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 02:29 PM
PCW

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I have the latest beta firmware installed and have been trying to install the latest official firmware via the internet for the last three days without success. I keep getting "Cannot connect to the server." The internet connection test works fine and all my other internet devices work fine. Have tried powering down and pulling the power cord. There is no disc in the tray.

I know I can try the USB update but I have always updated via the internet. Don't understand why it has been a problem for three days. Suggestions?

Edit: Just tried Reset and cleared persistent memory. No help. Have emailed Oppo support.
I also had the same problem. Used a USB thumbdrive and it worked fine.
post #20569 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCW View Post
I also had the same problem. Used a USB thumbdrive and it worked fine.
Was also having this issue. Unfortunately when I try uploading it with the USB drive it gives me the same message. I'm at a lost?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #20570 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 03:28 PM
PCW

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGoodwin View Post
Was also having this issue. Unfortunately when I try uploading it with the USB drive it gives me the same message. I'm at a lost?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
TimGoodwin, This is what Bob Pariseau sent to me and it was my problem:

The problem with the network install could be the upgrade server is temporarily off line, or overloaded. I.e., try again later.

As for the install via a USB stick:

Check that you have downloaded the file for "Firmware Upgrade from a USB Thumb Drive" on this page:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-u...e-50-0913.aspx

The result should be a file (not a folder) named UDP20X.bin, 138.3 MB in size.

Note that if you've got a previous firmware file where the download happens, or on your USB stick when you move the file there, your computer may have changed the name to be helpful. For example to USB20X-1.bin, which won't work.

Read the instructions on that page for install from USB. For example, you don't want any other USB devices attached while trying to do the USB firmware install.

Also, you can't have a disc loaded in the tray, and you can't be playing any other content. So you want the Input selection to be the normal "Blu-ray Player", and with no media files playing.

---------------------------

If the above doesn't get you an easy fix, go into the player and Reset Factory Defaults. Then power cycle the player. Then try the install again.

If still no luck, get in touch with OPPO Tech Support.
--Bob
post #20571 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 03:36 PM
GGA
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

Here is the reply I received from Oppo:

Beta to Official is not supported through the network for this release, so it is necessary that you upgrade using the CD or the USB method manually.

I contacted support at 4pm on Sunday and received a reply 2 hours later!!

Strange more people have not reported this problem. Guess very few people are trying to upgrade from the beta using the internet. Wonder why Oppo did not post this restriction on their website.
hmuller and rbphelan like this.
post #20572 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
I'm sure you'll be fine ignoring Bob's advice. After all, what's the worst that could happen?

Very amusing Chi. I think I only was able to appreciate the humor because I followed recommended upgrade instructions.
post #20573 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbii View Post
This may seem like an odd question, but has anyone that still owns an Oppo BDP-83 tried running it through the HMDI input port on the 203? (I still use the 83 to play certain things that the 203 dropped support for.) My 203 goes through my Denon X4200W to my LG 55EF9500. The HDMI port on the TV is in HDR mode. So far, the best I've been able to do is a pink picture, but usually I get none at all.

I can still run the 83 directly through the 4200, out Monitor 2 to a different port on the LG that doesn't have HDR on, though I do have to have it in RGB mode to work at all. However, I want to recover one of the input ports on my 4200, so I was hoping to run the 83 through the 203, but so far without success. I suspect that no one has tried this, but if anyone has both of these players still, and even better, an LG OLED TV, I'd be interested to know if you can get it to work.

I'm trying this on the newest beta. As soon as I upgrade to the release 913 version, I'll try it again, but I suspect there will be no change.

Any ideas?

I had same problem with a BDP-95 going to the HDMI input of the 203, Oppo had to give me a special firmware for the BDP-95 and all is well. The older player don't like the newer 4K TV's is the problem.
post #20574 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Any chance the LCD screen on this thing has any "always-on" capabilities, and can be configured to show the time of day, similar to what a cable box often does?
post #20575 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
DTS HD bitstreams fine with the oppo. Just not atmos. I don't use the oppo often for this but I seem to recall it working before.

On the shield I use plex.
MakeMKV BR rips with ATMOS working fine here with external HD to 203 USB input.
post #20576 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 06:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
Any chance the LCD screen on this thing has any "always-on" capabilities, and can be configured to show the time of day, similar to what a cable box often does?
Not possible in the current firmware. I could see it potentially being a feature of Standby Mode > Network Standby, but I'm not sure what the problems might be in keeping that portion of the player powered when it is otherwise turned OFF this way. (Standby Mode > Energy Efficient would not be able to do it, as it has to abide by strict, "Off", power consumption limits in places like Europe.)

You can send your suggestion to OPPO Tech Support and they will make sure it gets to the right product planners and engineers for future consideration. You can use the Email Us link on the Support page for the player here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-u...3-Support.aspx

--Bob
psuKinger likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #20577 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2195 Post(s)
Liked: 2248
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
Quote:
Not possible in the current firmware. I could see it potentially being a feature of Standby Mode > Network Standby, but I'm not sure what the problems might be in keeping that portion of the player powered when it is otherwise turned OFF this way. (Standby Mode > Energy Efficient would not be able to do it, as it has to abide by strict, "Off", power consumption limits in places like Europe.)

You can send your suggestion to OPPO Tech Support and they will make sure it gets to the right product planners and engineers for future consideration. You can use the Email Us link on the Support page for the player here:

--Bob
Oh no, you didn't, Bob! I hope you are prepared to keep answering the inevitable, repeated questions: "How do I stop my BDP from blinking 12:00?"

gsr, Brandon B, budeone and 8 others like this.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703

Last edited by chi_guy50; 09-21-2017 at 07:30 AM.
post #20578 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 07:32 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ How else do you expect me to keep my post count growing?
--Bob
gsr, Tom C, galonzo and 7 others like this.

post #20579 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
Not possible in the current firmware.

--Bob
Bob - Sorry for quoting a unrelated topic - trying to get your attention...
I am trying to watch the Netflix Show = 'Stranger Things' from my Chromecast Ultra through HDMI IN of the oppo 203 on my Sony ES5000 Projector - The projector is not receiving HDR10 ? The oppo firmware is UDP20X-50-0913.
Please help how I can display HDR 10 video - thanks.
BTW - I selected UHD HDR for HDMI IN

Last edited by Ash Sharma; 09-18-2017 at 08:04 PM.
post #20580 of 36887 Old 09-18-2017, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 1898
Quote:
Bob - Sorry for quoting a unrelated topic - trying to get your attention...
I am trying to watch the Netflix Show = 'Stranger Things' from my Chromecast Ultra through HDMI IN of the oppo 203 on my Sony ES5000 Projector - The projector is not receiving HDR10 ? The oppo firmware is UDP20X-50-0913.
Please help how I can display HDR 10 video - thanks.
BTW - I selected UHD HDR for HDMI IN
Stranger Things does not have HDR. Try a different show that has HDR, like Daredevil.
claw, gwsat and galonzo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page