Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 688 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 278828Likes

post #20611 of 36751 Old 09-20-2017, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
We have no info yet. Yours is the first report here and I don't see a thread for this disc in the Blu-ray Software forum yet. Could be the disc, could be firmware.

Did you Reset Factory Defaults and Erase Persistent Storage?

-Bill
I did not do reset factory defaults and erase persistent storage as last time was just a nightmare getting back 4k ability back .
But I said well let's try it.
So although I have been playing 4k discs with no issues till tonight, I did erase persistent storage and I did do factory resets . I write everything down before I did it!
And trying every possible setting I can no longer play 4k discs .
It says
The Connected HDMI device doe not support 4kx2k input signal .

It was working. It now will only do 1080P.
Lovely ! NOT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20612 of 36751 Old 09-20-2017, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
Has anyone tried the new Wonder Woman 4K Blu-ray yet on the Oppo 203? Having company over to watch it. Of course it is giving it me issues . Stopped at 54:12 the Alley fight scene .
Stopped and stuttered thru the whole scene .
Yes I cleaned the disc before I used it. Stopped avd ejected it cleaned once again . Same issues! Firmware has been updated ahead of time . Depressing this happened . Of course the women (wives) are joking that this has become too high tech . I rebooted . Still same issues !
Decided to play the standard Blu-ray instead and so far it has worked fine . Darn embarrassing to have such issues with friends over . Anyone else have issues with Oppo 203 with Wonder Woman 4k disc ? PrePro is Anthem AVM60 , tv is Sony 940D. Regular blu-ray working fine . Last 4k discs I had used were working fine too.
I watched this the other night. Same issue in a different spot. Gave it a thorough clean, restarted and ran fine right through to the end of the movie.
post #20613 of 36751 Old 09-20-2017, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I did not do reset factory defaults and erase persistent storage as last time was just a nightmare getting back 4k ability back .
But I said well let's try it.
So although I have been playing 4k discs with no issues till tonight, I did erase persistent storage and I did do factory resets . I write everything down before I did it!
And trying every possible setting I can no longer play 4k discs .
It says
The Connected HDMI device doe not support 4kx2k input signal .

It was working. It now will only do 1080P.
Lovely ! NOT
I know this advice is too late but...

You can save settings to a USB stick and then restore the settings after you do the factory reset.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20614 of 36751 Old 09-20-2017, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
Watched it from the beginning to the very end with no issues. Might be something wrong with the disc you have.
Apparently so. After firmware update I did not do persistent storage and erase settings.
It will not jet me send a 4k movie now. No set of settings will let me do it. No issues before with 4k blu-rays movies. Tried my Roku Ultra and I get 4k HDR picture with that .
Not the hdmi cables.
I wish to god I had not erased persistent storage avs rhe settinngs.
I copied them down but they no longer work !
Rebooted Oppo. Reseated HDMI cables .
Tried the Roku & yes 4k HDR works !
So it is in the Oppo.
Worked before I messed with it.
Hate all this .
post #20615 of 36751 Old 09-20-2017, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Apparently so. After firmware update I did not do persistent storage and erase settings.
It will not jet me send a 4k movie now. No set of settings will let me do it. No issues before with 4k blu-rays movies. Tried my Roku Ultra and I get 4k HDR picture with that .
Not the hdmi cables.
I wish to god I had not erased persistent storage avs rhe settinngs.
I copied them down but they no longer work !
Rebooted Oppo. Reseated HDMI cables .
Tried the Roku & yes 4k HDR works !
So it is in the Oppo.
Worked before I messed with it.
Hate all this .
then after if erased persistent storage and setting it never would send a 4k picture again .
post #20616 of 36751 Old 09-20-2017, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am so angry I can not type . Can not think of anyway to get back 4k picture . Oppo is just not letting me. Tried many combos
post #20617 of 36751 Old 09-20-2017, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairy View Post
I know this advice is too late but...

You can save settings to a USB stick and then restore the settings after you do the factory reset.
I wrote then down ! Does not matter . Nothing I try works ! Nothing ! 4k worked before! Does not now !
Roku works with 4k HDR . Right now. So it is in the Oppo. I will call Oppo but they will accuse me if not having proper hdmi cables.
They are all Audioquest Cinnamon. They worked before. They work with Roku 4K HDR now. But Oppo does not work with 4k.
post #20618 of 36751 Old 09-20-2017, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
I wrote then down ! Does not matter . Nothing I try works ! Nothing ! 4k worked before! Does not now !
Roku works with 4k HDR . Right now. So it is in the Oppo. I will call Oppo but they will accuse me if not having proper hdmi cables.
They are all Audioquest Cinnamon. They worked before. They work with Roku 4K HDR now. But Oppo does not work with 4k.
i do not use Premium certified cables either, I use monster Black Platinum 4' HDMI cables. The HDMI cable from my tv to my processor is 10' long and also a Monster Black Platinum Cable. How long are your HDMI cable runs? On another note I watched Wonder Woman 4k 1.5 times with no issues. I have an LG E6 and a Marantz 8802a processor. I run only one HDMI cable from the 203 to the processor when watching a 4k HDR10 disc so I have the OSD. when I watch a Dolby Vision disc I add the extra cable HDMI cable which is also a Monster 10' Black Platnium HDMI cable. Personally I think the Premium Certified HDMI Cable thing is blown out of proportion at least with short runs (less than 15')
post #20619 of 36751 Old 09-20-2017, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, the X4300Hs are finally getting their DV and HLG updates, so I ordered my 203 today. Seems like most troubles reported with it tend to involve using the split HDMI setup. I had held off on ordering the Oppo until Denon's and LG's updates just to avoid using the split setup. Thinking about starting with the John Wick and Despicable Me UHDs, hopefully no defective disc batches with those
post #20620 of 36751 Old 09-21-2017, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmorris View Post
Well, the X4300Hs are finally getting their DV and HLG updates, so I ordered my 203 today. Seems like most troubles reported with it tend to involve using the split HDMI setup. I had held off on ordering the Oppo until Denon's and LG's updates just to avoid using the split setup. Thinking about starting with the John Wick and Despicable Me UHDs, hopefully no defective disc batches with those
Enjoy, but for info the Oppo doesn't play HLG as an HDR format. It outputs the HLG demo file I have as SDR. The only way I can play HLG is USB directly attached to LG OLED panel.

It is great though to now just use one cable from the Oppo
post #20621 of 36751 Old 09-21-2017, 03:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Cool OPPO accolades

A Roku playing UHD HDR content to a JVC projector via my Yamaha receiver has always required turning off the Clear Motion Drive feature of the projector (otherwise the projector goes haywire, it's a known issue for the Roku-JVC connection but the OPPO-JVC connection has always been flawless for me). The Roku limitation hasn't been a super big deal to me but I was curious about the HDR upgrade on the OPPO HDMI input. I can now report that routing the ROKU through the Oppo eliminates the constraints on settings in the projector. Impressive indeed, the Oppo has essentially improved the HDMI signal coming from the Roku before passing it on to the projector. This, my friends, is an example of a benefit unique to the higher-end equipment and business model (extended upgrades period) offered by the OPPO.
galonzo likes this.
post #20622 of 36751 Old 09-21-2017, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
i do not use Premium certified cables either, I use monster Black Platinum 4' HDMI cables. The HDMI cable from my tv to my processor is 10' long and also a Monster Black Platinum Cable. How long are your HDMI cable runs? On another note I watched Wonder Woman 4k 1.5 times with no issues. I have an LG E6 and a Marantz 8802a processor. I run only one HDMI cable from the 203 to the processor when watching a 4k HDR10 disc so I have the OSD. when I watch a Dolby Vision disc I add the extra cable HDMI cable which is also a Monster 10' Black Platnium HDMI cable. Personally I think the Premium Certified HDMI Cable thing is blown out of proportion at least with short runs (less than 15')
Hit or miss...but you are correct that shorter runs are more forgiving.
chi_guy50 likes this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #20623 of 36751 Old 09-21-2017, 04:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
Kodi Settings

Audio Passthrough is enabled
I've also adjusting the Number of Channels available, 2.0 all the way up to 7.1
My receiver is capable of Dolby Digital, DD True HD, DTS, DTS MA, including Atmos and DTS-X
These audio formats can be reproduced through Plex, but not through Kodi. (again using this Oppo/Shield combination)
When playing any of my BD Rips, or Atmos/DTS trailers, the audio is Stereo. No adjustments in Kodi, the 203, the receiver, or Android TV will fix this issue.

When the Shield is connected directly to the Receiver, Multi-Channel audio will play,which means Lossy and Lossless Multi-channel output.
I had a similar issue last year. Turns out that the Linux drivers on Kodi had a bug that made them not detect correctly the capabilities of my AVR. It couldn't tell that my HDMI connection could support the bitrate needed for lossless multi-channel and therefore limited itself to lossy and stereo.
post #20624 of 36751 Old 09-21-2017, 04:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Enjoy, but for info the Oppo doesn't play HLG as an HDR format. It outputs the HLG demo file I have as SDR. The only way I can play HLG is USB directly attached to LG OLED panel.

It is great though to now just use one cable from the Oppo
It's probably your file or settings, mine plays all my HLG files as HLG HDR. Try different HLG files and ensure your OPPO HDR settings are set to the recommended settings as shown at the beginning of this thread.
http://watershade.net/wmcclain/UDP-2...ended-settings

Make sure to power cycle your OPPO after making the changes.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited by tbass2k; 09-21-2017 at 04:13 AM.
post #20625 of 36751 Old 09-21-2017, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Has anyone tried the new Wonder Woman 4K Blu-ray yet on the Oppo 203? Having company over to watch it. Of course it is giving it me issues . Stopped at 54:12 the Alley fight scene .
Stopped and stuttered thru the whole scene .
Yes I cleaned the disc before I used it. Stopped avd ejected it cleaned once again . Same issues! Firmware has been updated ahead of time . Depressing this happened . Of course the women (wives) are joking that this has become too high tech . I rebooted . Still same issues !
Decided to play the standard Blu-ray instead and so far it has worked fine . Darn embarrassing to have such issues with friends over . Anyone else have issues with Oppo 203 with Wonder Woman 4k disc ? PrePro is Anthem AVM60 , tv is Sony 940D. Regular blu-ray working fine . Last 4k discs I had used were working fine too.
I watched it yesterday with no issues.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #20626 of 36751 Old 09-21-2017, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbass2k View Post
It's probably your file or settings, mine plays all my HLG files as HLG HDR. Try different HLG files and ensure your OPPO HDR settings are set to the recommended settings as shown at the beginning of this thread.
http://watershade.net/wmcclain/UDP-2...ended-settings

Make sure to power cycle your OPPO after making the changes.

Thanks tbass2k. The file I'm using is http://4kmedia.org/lg-cymatic-jazz-hdr-hlg-uhd-4k-demo/. Wasn't aware there might be others available. I'll check settings and try some other hlg files over coming days.
post #20627 of 36751 Old 09-21-2017, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5931
Watched WW on Sunday night and it played fine.
Craig Mecak likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #20628 of 36751 Old 09-21-2017, 05:53 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4541 Post(s)
Liked: 4369
Quote:
I am so angry I can not type . Can not think of anyway to get back 4k picture . Oppo is just not letting me. Tried many combos
Being angry doesn't help recovery. Calm down and get systematic.

Start with the settings recommended in the FAQ: Recommended Settings.

Tell us what happens. Or, if we are not helping you, contact OPPO support.

-Bill
gwsat, bluemoon737 and stikle like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #20629 of 36751 Old 09-21-2017, 05:54 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post
Will the Oppo pass Dolby Vision from the new Apple TV that will be released Friday thru the HDMI input on the back?
No. Maybe in the future, but that is not promised.

My impression is that it is not a technical issue, but rather Dolby's iron-fisted control of what can be done with their signals.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #20630 of 36751 Old 09-21-2017, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
I had a similar issue last year. Turns out that the Linux drivers on Kodi had a bug that made them not detect correctly the capabilities of my AVR. It couldn't tell that my HDMI connection could support the bitrate needed for lossless multi-channel and therefore limited itself to lossy and stereo.
Thank you for this information. I sent a log file to Oppo Tech Support yesterday. I'm thinking the issue is with Kodi rather than the 203 considering the fact that I can get Multi-Channel Lossless/Lossy audio via Plex, and Dolby Digital when watching Live TV through the Live TV app or HD HomeRun View App on the Nvidia Shield when connected to the HDMI Input.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #20631 of 36751 Old 09-21-2017, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
No. Maybe in the future, but that is not promised.

My impression is that it is not a technical issue, but rather Dolby's iron-fisted control of what can be done with their signals.

-Bill
Most all new 2017 receivers pass Dolby Vision & HDR10.

Do you know why Dolby would allow receivers to do that but not the Oppo?
post #20632 of 36751 Old 09-21-2017, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Stopped and stuttered thru the whole scene.
I watched mine all the way through with no problems. I suspect it was having company over that did it. I'm positive hardware waits for the worst possible time to throw tantrums :-).

I certainly found film grain to be very visible in a lot of scenes, but that's a different rant.
post #20633 of 36751 Old 09-21-2017, 06:36 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

I think the question is whether Dolby believes the OPPO HDMI Input is simple pass-through of the DV signal. If it is, and Dolby can be convinced of that, it may be allowed in the future.

-Bill

post #20634 of 36751 Old 09-21-2017, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Thanks tbass2k. The file I'm using is http://4kmedia.org/lg-cymatic-jazz-hdr-hlg-uhd-4k-demo/. Wasn't aware there might be others available. I'll check settings and try some other hlg files over coming days.
I tried this file and I get the same results, probably the way the file was encoded. There is another version of this file that plays in HDR(no HLG)through the OPPO. The good news is that there are other files that play HLG fine through the OPPO.

post #20635 of 36751 Old 09-21-2017, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked: 2975
Quote:
Actually not. Most can pass HDR10. Some can pass DV but most still need a firmware update to do so. Again this is Dolby sticking their fingers into everything and holding things up.
post #20636 of 36751 Old 09-21-2017, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

(I'm sure you realize that I'm just having fun with you.)
Yep, I get it...no problem.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #20637 of 36751 Old 09-21-2017, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Quote:

I think the question is whether Dolby believes the OPPO HDMI Input is simple pass-through of the DV signal. If it is, and Dolby can be convinced of that, it may be allowed in the future.

-Bill
Bill,
Agreed. I bet Oppo will need to inactivate any of the available HDMI In settings that are present. I guess the real issue is to detect the state of the HDMI's incoming stream be it HDR10 or Dolby Vision. Given that the stream is decrypted when it passes through the HDMI interface, it shouldn't be too hard to determine if it has DV metadata. From an aesthetic point of view it would be nice if the Infoframe has a DV flag otherwise the it'll have to read the actual metadata embedded in the body of the video signal. Regardless, it's possible but will Oppo go through necessary heroics to modify the state of the HDMI In port?

Don't you just wish HDMI would crawl off to some darkened corner and die a sad, lonely death?
post #20638 of 36751 Old 09-21-2017, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
I watched mine all the way through with no problems. I suspect it was having company over that did it. I'm positive hardware waits for the worst possible time to throw tantrums :-).

I certainly found film grain to be very visible in a lot of scenes, but that's a different rant.
after doing firmware update and earring setting and persistence storage I no longer get UHD picture from Oppo . I did before . I do not know. On phone with Oppo.
They are baffled too. So I may have to resign myself to just watching 1080p picture quality .
At least able to still get 4k HDR from
Roku to go thru AVM60 to Sony TV. But Oppo not. Wish I had not done that firmware upgrade and erasing storage & settings .
post #20639 of 36751 Old 09-21-2017, 10:09 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5783 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
Quote:
after doing firmware update and earring setting and persistence storage I no longer get UHD picture from Oppo . I did before . I do not know. On phone with Oppo.
They are baffled too. So I may have to resign myself to just watching 1080p picture quality .
At least able to still get 4k HDR from
Roku to go thru AVM60 to Sony TV. But Oppo not. Wish I had not done that firmware upgrade and erasing storage & settings .
Set Standby Mode ENERGY EFFICIENT. Turn the player Off. Also turn the TV Off and AVR Off.

Then turn things back on in this order: TV (wait for it). AVR (wait for it). OPPO.

If that doesn't fix the problem, set (in this order) Custom Resolution 1080p AUTO, Resolution CUSTOM, Color Space YCbCr 4:2:0, Color Depth 8-bit. Power cycle the player (turn it Off and back On) again.

Then change to Custom Resolution UHD AUTO.

If that STILL doesn't fix the problem, confirm that you are plugged into the same HDMI Input on the TV that worked before.

---------------------

If that last change to Custom Resolution UHD AUTO gets you 4K, then the last step is to set Color Depth AUTO and power cycle the player once more to see if you still get 4K (with 12b output).
--Bob
galonzo and chi_guy50 like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 09-21-2017 at 10:15 AM.
post #20640 of 36751 Old 09-21-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Looks like the media control app has problems with iOS 11 update. Usually crashes, got to work once.

Phil Tomaskovic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page