Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 763 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279158Likes

post #22861 of 37235 Old 12-12-2017, 03:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarBlar View Post
I've got the oppo hooked straight to a B7. DV... meh. It's not bad by any stretch, but I think most would be hard pressed to tell the difference between DV and HDR-10. More often than not I find myself preferring the look of HDR titles over DV ones, though, setup two oleds side by side playing the same movie (one DV and the other HDR) and I probably wouldn't be able to tell you which is which. ;-)

On that note, make sure that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (HDR) and Valerian (DV) were in your $600 worth of UHD's. These movies are AWESOME in 4k and a great reference level demo of HDR and DV!
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 isn't available in UHD with Dutch subtitles yet. It's available with the subtitles of the "big" languages only. My wife really likes to have the Dutch subtitles. Valerian I didn't check yet.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22862 of 37235 Old 12-12-2017, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 319
One year today

One year ago today Oppo started shipping the 203 to people who had pre-ordered it. Mine was delivered the next day on the 13th. Wow!, talk about time flying by. Where did this last year go?

Main 4K Setup: LG OLED55E6P, Oppo UDP-203, Denon AVR X-4500H,AudioSource 2 channel amp,(3) Hsu CCB-8 bookshelf speakers, (2) Hsu HB-1 speakers,(Monoprice Monolith 28" speaker stands, (4) Dayton Audio IO655B speakers, Hsu VTF-2 and VTF-3 subs, 10" Monolith THX sub, Roku Ultra, Amazon Fire TV4K, Monoprice premium certified HDMI cables
post #22863 of 37235 Old 12-12-2017, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4471 Post(s)
Liked: 5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteve View Post
One year ago today Oppo started shipping the 203 to people who had pre-ordered it. Mine was delivered the next day on the 13th. Wow!, talk about time flying by. Where did this last year go?
Thanks for the fond reminder. My 203 shipped one year ago today too. Time really does fly!

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22864 of 37235 Old 12-12-2017, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
I've answered this several times already, but I don't mind doing it again.

With Auto, the result depends upon what the TV publishes as its input preferences (during the HDMI handshake). Sometimes the preferences are designed by the TV's maker to be "safe" -- i.e., work with a lot of source gear -- rather than truly reflecting the input format the TV handles "best".
Bob, thank you so much for the detailed reply! I thought it might be the simplistic HDMI handshake, i.e. yes this TV can accept 4:4:4 signals, but wasn't sure if Oppo's Auto setting did more than that. Obviously it does depending on the source material, but the same applies to non-Auto settings.

Thanks again for your help,
Ian

Preamp/Amps: Anthem AVM60, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5, A-300
Speakers: (7.1.2): Klipsch Reference Premiere / Power Sound Audio S3000i sub
Video: LG OLED65B7A, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Premiere+, Nvidia Shield TV
Room: GIK Acoustics treatments
post #22865 of 37235 Old 12-12-2017, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Can anyone help?

I have my Oppo 203 plugged directly into my LG B7 via HDMI. Second HDMI plugged into the Onkyo 646 AVR, just for audio, so I can get Dolby. C7 is also plugged directly into TV port of AVR for ARC and picture.

When I turn on my Oppo, it gets into a sources battle with my C7 on the AVR so it keep flashing between TV and DVD for the audio. I turned off CEC and ARC on the TV and it still does it. Anyone got a clue why? Ideally I'd like the AVR it to flip over to DVD audio and stay there when the Oppo turns on.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
post #22866 of 37235 Old 12-12-2017, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Ditto. And we haven't even talked about the 30x series (with 2.1 etc.)!
galonzo likes this.

Theater: Lyngdorf MP-50 7.3.4, Sony VW675ES, Revel Ultima Salon2/Voice2/Gem2(4)/Paradigm Be Atmos (4), Mark Levinson amps (53 L/R, 532 Center biamped, 531H side/surrounds), Atmos amp: Sherbourn, Oppo 203, Roku Ultra Premier+, DTV 4k, Velodyne 1812 Signature (LFE), Velodyne DD-15.
FR: Marantz 8802A (and/or 7703), Sony XBR 4k TV, Meridian A350 LCR onwall, Dali in-wall surrounds, Atmos Martin Logan in-ceiling, REL sub, Oppo 105 (and/or 103), DTV, AppleTV, Sony 4k Media Server.
post #22867 of 37235 Old 12-12-2017, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsullivan1983 View Post
Thanks for the input! Valerian was not but I just ordered it as per your recommendation ☺️ I also pre-ordered the Christopher Nolan box set! I’m excited for that. It’s getting a lot of hate for not including digital downloads but I don’t care about that so it’s all good to me. Can’t wait to see all of those titles in 4K.
I honestly don't get the obsession about digital downloads. The whole reason I'm buying the disc is to get the the absolute best Video/Audio Quality I can. It's very easy to rip Blurays/dvd's to my home server and have it transcode or save them to any of my mobile devices should I ever want to view them that way. I refuse to redeem the digital codes simply based on the fact that I would need 2-3 different streaming services. Add on the fact that they put expiration dates on the codes and I really don't feel any need to support a movie studio's digitial platform. I bought the disc, which includes a digital version. That version should be available whenever I decide to use it!

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
"Serenity Now!!! Insanity later."

-HarBlar
post #22868 of 37235 Old 12-12-2017, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino2 View Post
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 isn't available in UHD with Dutch subtitles yet. It's available with the subtitles of the "big" languages only. My wife really likes to have the Dutch subtitles. Valerian I didn't check yet.

Get it anyway! She'll be so captivated by the visuals she'll forget they're even talking!
galonzo likes this.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
"Serenity Now!!! Insanity later."

-HarBlar
post #22869 of 37235 Old 12-12-2017, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
I honestly don't get the obsession about digital downloads. The whole reason I'm buying the disc is to get the the absolute best Video/Audio Quality I can. It's very easy to rip Blurays/dvd's to my home server and have it transcode or save them to any of my mobile devices should I ever want to view them that way. I refuse to redeem the digital codes simply based on the fact that I would need 2-3 different streaming services. Add on the fact that they put expiration dates on the codes and I really don't feel any need to support a movie studio's digitial platform. I bought the disc, which includes a digital version. That version should be available whenever I decide to use it!
I honestly couldn't have given 2 shakes about digital codes up until about a month ago either. Make note though, I have NO movie or music server. I just prefer disc.

A month ago I jumped in...started a Vudu account, and started the tedious process of entering ALL the codes I'd compiled over several years. I enter the codes in at myuv.com and it does much of the rest. Please note that despite so-called "Expiration Dates", I failed to find a single code in my collection that wasn't honored by the studio when I entered it. Regardless of HOW old it was. I may have just been lucky.

Secondarily, I started a MoviesAnywhere account, which then linked Vudo with GooglePlay and Amazon, and pulled all the libraries together. Or well, about 75% of each, for whatever reason. I now have movies I entered in on Vudu available in my Amazon account for my Fire TV 4K, for example.

I dunno, for me, I feel that if the digital code is built into the price, I might as well get everything I'm paying for!
Flexx, snpanago and kinglm like this.

TCL 55P607, OPPO UDP-203, 4K Fire TV, Marantz 6011, Rotel 1075 (Atmos)
DefTech SM 65 (X7), SVS PB16 Ultra (X2), SVS Prime Elevation (X4)
Headphone rig: PC-> Schiit Wyrd ->Schiit Modi Multibit ->Stax SRM-353X ->THX AAA 789
Headphones: Stax SR-207, Stax SR-L700, M1060, TH-X00 Purpleheart, HD600, HD6XX, etc
post #22870 of 37235 Old 12-12-2017, 12:22 PM

I'll add something else positive about using the digital codes that come with our disks and adding them to our Vudu or other streaming service account. These days the UHD HDR image quality available via streaming is startlingly wonderful and very close that we get from disks.

The weakness with streaming UHD HDR video instead of watching it on a trusty 203 is the audio. The audio, even Atmos, streamed is lossy and not in the same world with the wonderful lossless TrueHD Atmos we have come to expect with our UHD HDR disks. When the technology advances to the point that streamed 7.2.4 audio can reasonably approximate that of the lossless immersive audio we enjoy on disk I'll probably use it. For the moment, though, I view streamed content as a second class listening experience.
normandia, dcbii and ht guy like this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #22871 of 37235 Old 12-12-2017, 12:49 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5833 Post(s)
Liked: 8309
^ If a UHD disc can't easily beat a a 4K stream for Picture Quality, then there is something wrong with the disc.

Which in fact is just what's happening. A lot of the early crop of UHD discs are upscales of 2K masters (with re-grading to bring out the HDR bling). I.e., the true capabilities of the UHD disc format are not being utilized yet.

The same thing happened when normal Blu-ray was new.

As time goes on, you'll see less and less of that (except from budget disc labels). Which means there's a window -- likely brief -- where 4K streaming has a lower bar to top.

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #22872 of 37235 Old 12-12-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
^ If a UHD disc can't easily beat a a 4K stream for Picture Quality, then there is something wrong with the disc.

Which in fact is just what's happening. A lot of the early crop of UHD discs are upscales of 2K masters (with re-grading to bring out the HDR bling). I.e., the true capabilities of the UHD disc format are not being utilized yet.

The same thing happened when normal Blu-ray was new.

As time goes on, you'll see less and less of that (except from budget disc labels). Which means there's a window -- likely brief -- where 4K streaming has a lower bar to top.

--Bob
Bob -- First let me make clear that I have loved the image quality of the UHD HDR disks I have watched on my 203. Because of the audio weakness, which I pointed out in my earlier post, though, I have not watched a great deal of streamed UHD HDR and have certainly made no critical comparisons between the disk version and streamed version of such films. Thus, my complimentary comment about streamed UHD HDR video was certainly not scientifically based. I will say, though, that I have found some streamed UHD HDR stuff to be visually stunning. For example, The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime is wonderful indeed!

post #22873 of 37235 Old 12-12-2017, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Zuehlke View Post
I honestly couldn't have given 2 shakes about digital codes up until about a month ago either. Make note though, I have NO movie or music server. I just prefer disc.

A month ago I jumped in...started a Vudu account, and started the tedious process of entering ALL the codes I'd compiled over several years. I enter the codes in at myuv.com and it does much of the rest. Please note that despite so-called "Expiration Dates", I failed to find a single code in my collection that wasn't honored by the studio when I entered it. Regardless of HOW old it was. I may have just been lucky.

Secondarily, I started a MoviesAnywhere account, which then linked Vudo with GooglePlay and Amazon, and pulled all the libraries together. Or well, about 75% of each, for whatever reason. I now have movies I entered in on Vudu available in my Amazon account for my Fire TV 4K, for example.

I dunno, for me, I feel that if the digital code is built into the price, I might as well get everything I'm paying for!
I prefer disc as well, but having digital codes is nice, especially if you travel a lot. I always bring my Apple TV with me everywhere I go. It's nice to have a big movie collection with me while I'm at hotels. I've had expired codes as well that still worked. A few years ago, one didn't work and I e-mailed the movie studio and they e-mailed me a new code. Movies Anywhere is great. It's too bad it took so long for a single service that works on all other accounts. The reason why some of your movies didn't sync between accounts is they are probably Paramount titles. Paramount is a hold out of Movies Anywhere.
galonzo and SinGA like this.
post #22874 of 37235 Old 12-12-2017, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4607 Post(s)
Liked: 2678
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post
... Paramount is a hold out of Movies Anywhere.
Lionsgate is also another holdout and they seem to be releasing more 4k titles than any other studio lately.
galonzo and boltsfan21 like this.

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #22875 of 37235 Old 12-12-2017, 02:17 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Bob -- First let me make clear that I have loved the image quality of the UHD HDR disks I have watched on my 203. Because of the audio weakness, which I pointed out in my earlier post, though, I have not watched a great deal of streamed UHD HDR and have certainly made no critical comparisons between the disk version and streamed version of such films. Thus, my complimentary comment about streamed UHD HDR video was certainly not scientifically based. I will say, though, that I have found some streamed UHD HDR stuff to be visually stunning. For example, The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime is wonderful indeed!
Yep, the studios and services are getting good at producing content for 4K streaming. But well made UHD discs SHOULD be noticeably better (along with the audio advantages).
--Bob
galonzo and SinGA like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 12-12-2017 at 06:27 PM.
post #22876 of 37235 Old 12-12-2017, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Lionsgate is also another holdout and they seem to be releasing more 4k titles than any other studio lately.
I forgot about Lionsgate. That's too bad as well. Would be nice to have the option of a 4K copy on both iTunes and Vudu.
post #22877 of 37235 Old 12-12-2017, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked: 1734
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbquart View Post
When using stretching does anyone notice the edges of some objects will get a ghost image or the color looks like it's bleeding. Not sure that's the right term. I see this on my projector and TV. Will using a dedicated video processor eliminate this issue. It can be distracting when using my projector.

Thank you so much for posting the above image. I was seeing exactly the same red shift problem and blaming my RS520 projector. Here's a link to my post on that with some pix: Link

So today I tried changing the zoom settings and it varied the result. But I also found a workaround. Originally I was using Oppo's 21:9 zoom mode, with the Video Output TV Aspect Ratio set to 21:9 Fixed. That was very nice because I could easily shift 16:9 menus to fit the 2.40 screen, then back to 21:9 for the movie.

When I changed Oppo's TV ratio to 16:9 wide, the problem goes away. Happy to lose the simpler zoom feature to gain the correct picture. Christmas came early -- thank you sbquart!

Does this look like a bug Oppo might address?

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #22878 of 37235 Old 12-12-2017, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Thank you so much for posting the above image. I was seeing exactly the same red shift problem and blaming my RS520 projector. Here's a link to my post on that with some pix: Link

So today I tried changing the zoom settings and it varied the result. But I also found a workaround. Originally I was using Oppo's 21:9 zoom mode, with the Video Output TV Aspect Ratio set to 21:9 Fixed. That was very nice because I could easily shift 16:9 menus to fit the 2.40 screen, then back to 21:9 for the movie.

When I changed Oppo's TV ratio to 16:9 wide, the problem goes away. Happy to lose the simpler zoom feature to gain the correct picture. Christmas came early -- thank you sbquart!

I've used that work around too. But on some discs using the 16:9 setting the stretching mode doesn't work. Then you have to resort back to the 21:9 modes. I think it was power rangers and Kingsman 2 doesn't allow stretching using 16:9.
post #22879 of 37235 Old 12-12-2017, 06:08 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Roger, get in touch with OPPO Tech Support so they can collect info from you on the output settings you are using when you see this problem.

--------------------------

ETA: Also check if the problem is sensitive to the Color Depth of the video output. (You'll need to use a Blu-ray to test this, not a UHD/HDR disc.) For example see if the problem goes away with 8b video output, but appears with either 10b or 12b.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 12-12-2017 at 06:17 PM.
post #22880 of 37235 Old 12-12-2017, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Quoted: 12679 Post(s)
Liked: 11914
Quote:

Fixing bugs and getting the machine working and making nice with other equipment.

Quote:
This is actually what Bob was referring you. Youre judging a streaming show that does not have an equal disc counterpart to compare. If the Grand Tour was available on disc, you would see just how bit starved that stream is. I actually find the grand tour to be very soft, in a weird streaming way. It does not compete with the best of the best discs that have native 4k resolution, such as Billy Lynn, (soon to be Dunkirk), Sicario, etc.. When compared to OTHER streaming shows, it definitely looks great though.

Not sure how close you follow bluray.com, but a few people bought Stranger Things 4k Blu ray, and those that seen it said it crushes the 4k stream on Netflix, though before anyone had a chance to compare, everyone thought it looked great (I still think it looks good for streaming). but the sharpness and dimensionality take a huge hit with only 15mbps. This 4k disc was so superior that a few people said it actually looked better than season 2 which is in HDR.

A question on-topic for anyone, since I don't follow the thread anymore due to busy schedule, I'm assuming theres still no chatter of having apps on board?
budeone and galonzo like this.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #22881 of 37235 Old 12-12-2017, 06:26 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
. . . .
A question on-topic for anyone, since I don't follow the thread anymore due to busy schedule, I'm assuming theres still no chatter of having apps on board?
Correct.
--Bob
galonzo and ray0414 like this.

post #22882 of 37235 Old 12-12-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
This is actually what Bob was referring you. Youre judging a streaming show that does not have an equal disc counterpart to compare. If the Grand Tour was available on disc, you would see just how bit starved that stream is. I actually find the grand tour to be very soft, in a weird streaming way. It does not compete with the best of the best discs that have native 4k resolution, such as Billy Lynn, (soon to be Dunkirk), Sicario, etc.. When compared to OTHER streaming shows, it definitely looks great though.

Not sure how close you follow bluray.com, but a few people bought Stranger Things 4k Blu ray, and those that seen it said it crushes the 4k stream on Netflix, though before anyone had a chance to compare, everyone thought it looked great (I still think it looks good for streaming). but the sharpness and dimensionality take a huge hit with only 15mbps. This 4k disc was so superior that a few people said it actually looked better than season 2 which is in HDR.
I judge the quality of UHD HDR images in the same way the late great jazz pianist, Oscar Peterson, judged music: There are only two kinds, good and bad. To my eye, at least the image quality of the UHD HDR version of The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime is very good indeed. That it might be better on a UHD HDR disk is a moot point because there is no UHD HDR disk. In short, I celebrate what I have and don't obsess over the theoretical possibility that there might be something better someday.

post #22883 of 37235 Old 12-12-2017, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2243 Post(s)
Liked: 2290
Quote:
I judge the quality of UHD HDR images in the same way the late great jazz pianist, Oscar Peterson, judged music: There are only two kinds, good and bad. To my eye, at least the image quality of the UHD HDR version of The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime is very good indeed. That it might be better on a UHD HDR disk is a moot point because there is no UHD HDR disk. In short, I celebrate what I have and don't obsess over the theoretical possibility that there might be something better someday.
Ooooh, an Oscar Peterson reference in the UHD-203 thread of all places! That made my day (and not one goes by that doesn't include several selections from his vast legacy).
hughh, robsis and gwsat like this.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #22884 of 37235 Old 12-13-2017, 03:07 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Check that you have the latest firmware installed. In Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information, the Main firmware version number should end 1127.

If you've not already done so since installing that firmware, do a Reset Factory Defaults now. (Plan on doing this after each firmware install.) You can speed this up by saving your settings to a USB stick for reload afterwards. See Setup > Device Setup > Settings Management.

-------------------

Networking issues are a nuisance to diagnose. There are many things that can screw it up. But if the above doesn't resolve the problem, get in touch with OPPO Tech Support and they may have suggestions for you on how to sort this out.
--Bob
I had a similar issue. Check that your SMB server is set to version 3 or greater. That solved my issues.
post #22885 of 37235 Old 12-13-2017, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My UDP-203 is showing up today and I am connecting to my Onkyo TX-RZ800. I will be splitting the video out directly to the TV input but for the audio out, I am wondering if I should have better audio running the HDMI audio-only out Bitstream to the receiver and letting the receiver process that signal into 2.1 or if I should be running analog connections from the Oppo to the Onkyo and having the Onkyo not do any processing. I have two Klipsch towers and dual subs connected to the RX800.

Thanks for your input indeed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LG 77OLEDC8PUA / Marantz SR8012 / LG UB820 / Klipsch RP-280F Towers / Klipsch Quad Subs (2x112, 2x115) / Sound Control Throughout
post #22886 of 37235 Old 12-13-2017, 06:54 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyP3t3 View Post
My UDP-203 is showing up today and I am connecting to my Onkyo TX-RZ800. I will be splitting the video out directly to the TV input but for the audio out, I am wondering if I should have better audio running the HDMI audio-only out Bitstream to the receiver and letting the receiver process that signal into 2.1 or if I should be running analog connections from the Oppo to the Onkyo and having the Onkyo not do any processing. I have two Klipsch towers and dual subs connected to the RX800.

Thanks for your input indeed.
You can wire it both ways now, but I suggest you start with HDMI audio. Once you have that working the way you like you can experiment with Analog audio.

If you intend to play Dolby Atmos or DTS:X tracks into height speakers you MUST use HDMI Bitstream audio to accomplish that.
—Bob

post #22887 of 37235 Old 12-13-2017, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
You can wire it both ways now, but I suggest you start with HDMI audio. Once you have that working the way you like you can experiment with Analog audio.

If you intend to play Dolby Atmos or DTS:X tracks into height speakers you MUST use HDMI Bitstream audio to accomplish that.
—Bob
Thanks very much! I do not have height speakers, just the two RP-280F's and dual R-112SW ported subs. I have the HDMI cables already so will start there as suggested. My previous setup with the Samsung UBD-K8500 was to run the HDMI straight to the TV for video and the audio only HDMI to the receiver. I had the Samsung set at Bitstream out and the receiver set at Direct mode. Sounded very good indeed. Had to switch to Theater-Dimensional on the Onkyo to get the subs to work with music or other non-LFE channel stuff but movies worked great. I shouldnt expect any sound difference of course with the Bitstream out from the Oppo.

One other question, if I use the analog outs, would the single Sub out analog connection from the Oppo to the Onkyo be capable of running dual subs from the Onkyo in turn? Wasnt sure how that would function given I'm only sending one channel in and asking for duplication out. I suppose there could be a quality different with the analogs if the chipset is better in the Oppo than the Onkyo. Specs do indeed look sharper on the Oppo for audio than the Onkyo but hard to guesstimate from specs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LG 77OLEDC8PUA / Marantz SR8012 / LG UB820 / Klipsch RP-280F Towers / Klipsch Quad Subs (2x112, 2x115) / Sound Control Throughout
post #22888 of 37235 Old 12-13-2017, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsullivan1983 View Post
Seeing as my C7 and 3070 will be delivered and setup tomorrow (the 12th), along with the 203, I might as well just have them run the single HDMI out to the 3070. I have major cardiac issues that prevent me doing a lot, that's why I'm paying Best Buy way too much money to come set everything up, even though I know how to do it on my own. I spent around $600 on 4K movies that I'm excited to watch, but I've gone this long without DV. I don't think an extra day or a month or two will matter. I mean, does DV look THAT much better than regular 4K, or 4K HDR?

PS Ugh, I'm replacing my entire theater system besides speakers and subs... I kind of want to upgrade to the Sierra 2 NrTs now
The Dolby Vision fw update for the Yamaha x70 series is available for download. Just did and it seems to work. Rev 1.08.

post #22889 of 37235 Old 12-13-2017, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6052
Also out for 2016 Yamahas too.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
DP-UB420 / ATV4K (3) / PS Vue
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #22890 of 37235 Old 12-13-2017, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
I totally agree. I’ve been buying blu ray movies and dvds for a long time (I’m 34 but feel super old haha) and I’ve only tried redeeming a digital copy once as I was bed ridden for a while. Wanted to be able to watch it on my iPad. It was, of course, expired. After that I said f*ck it and decided to never even care about digital downloads again! When you pay for something like this, you own it for life. I’m sure there is logical reasoning as to why they put expiration dates on them. Possibly because the movies take up room on their servers and they just need to make space at times. That’s my best guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page