Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 800 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279646Likes

post #23971 of 37905 Old 01-18-2018, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrac View Post
OK Everyone. I just spent 15 minutes on the phone with the Oppo Digital rep and here's what's going on. Sony has decided to implement a special low-latency profile for Dolby Vision. This apparently is a new profile Dolby created just for Sony. This is very different from the profiles done by LG and Vizio, who implement the full standard profile. How Sony was able to get this kind of special treatment is another topic.

For the low-latency profile, more pre-processing work is done prior to passing the data to the TV. For the full DV profile implemented by LG and Vizio, most of the processing is done by the TV itself. What this means is that both Oppo as well as Dolby and the chip vendor, MediaTec, have to add firmware to do the preprocessing. It's strictly a matter of how the processing is distributed and doesn't affect video quality.

My understanding is that Sony has no intention whatsoever to support the full profile. They are leaving it strictly up to the source providers to support low-latency.

The timeline for a new firmware drop from Oppo with low-latency profile support is April.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn (retailer insider)
I can confirm most of this, but did not break it as I was asked not to leak it. Not sure if or what MediaTec would need to do, but they may need to grant access (open the SoC) to the new low latency format.

Sony's low latency mode has several advantages and I hope more DV capable devices enable the features that this faster processing offers. Sony's “low latency mode” protocol of Dolby Vision's HDR requires the DV source device to do more of the DV video processing heavy lifting.

Also not sure it will be as long as April for the low latency format to be upgraded on OPPO and other DV capable devices or that Sony or Dolby won't intercede sooner.

This will be worked out and in the end it will benefit everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23972 of 37905 Old 01-18-2018, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slooshy View Post

This sounds like [email protected]#!. Sony basically made a TV that cant support the full DV profile. Then they come up with a half assed solution knowing full well for over a year that their solution was crap.

Also more importantly why would Dolby go along with this special profile for Sony only? Do they not see the [email protected]# Storm thats about to hit Sony?

Sony A1E
Triton one
post #23973 of 37905 Old 01-18-2018, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9674 View Post
This sounds like [email protected]#!. Sony basically made a TV that cant support the full DV profile. Then they come up with a half assed solution knowing full well for over a year that their solution was crap.

Also more importantly why would Dolby go along with this special profile for Sony only? Do they not see the [email protected]# Storm thats about to hit Sony?
Off topic, but ... SONY stands for Standards, Only Not Yours

Kevin Windrem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23974 of 37905 Old 01-18-2018, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Whats even worse is the Sony A1E costs more than the E7. Which has better support for DV and technicolor. And from day 1 had DV support....geesh Sony sure knows how to pull defeat from the jaws of victory!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony A1E
Triton one
post #23975 of 37905 Old 01-18-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9674 View Post

I don't know whether the following is true, but the first paragraph is plausible to me. I mean if you're a company that suddenly doesn't need to put extra hardware in your televisions to support DV, then why bother? Maybe your existing hardware is barely good enough. Just make someone else (Oppo, in this case) do the heavy lifting for you.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post55520014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDman18 View Post
Sony didn't "do it's own thing." Dolby came up with a solution to get DV running on devices that used non-native hardware. Sony said "Sure we'll do that." And now we're having all these issues primarily due to the way Dolby has fragmented DV.

It's key to remember, ALL of these companies (Sony, LG, VIZIO, TLC, Oppo, Apple) are LICENSING DV from Dolby. They are not responsible for how it works or doesn't work. It's not an open standard like HDR10. If these TVs had an HDR10 bug, then THAT would be a Sony issue. But DV is a PRODUCT created and maintained by Dolby. They are responsible for its configuration and any bugs that result.

Last edited by Slooshy; 01-18-2018 at 01:29 PM.
post #23976 of 37905 Old 01-18-2018, 02:09 PM

https://community.sony.com/t5/Televi...ht/true#M22217

"Sony does not support the full Dolby Vision specifications so you will need to wait for content sources, such as our UDP-203 or the Apple TV 4K, can produce software that can make the device compatible with the profile that Sony is using, or Sony will need to upgrade its profile to meet the full Dolby Vision specifications.
Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Parkat, CA 94025"
post #23977 of 37905 Old 01-18-2018, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
We are getting complaints. Please continue the Sony DV update debate in either the Sony update thread in the HDR section or the display threads. Not everyone has a Sony display and wants to wade through posts which are not relevant.

Thank you.
Complaints continue. Please continue in the Sony DV update thread in the HDR section and/or the display threads.
gsr, william06, hdfonz and 3 others like this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #23978 of 37905 Old 01-18-2018, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Complaints continue. Please continue in the Sony DV update thread in the HDR section and/or the display threads.

Why?

This is a relevant issue for Oppo-203 owners. If the complaints are a problem, I don’t want to see any more posts about issues between the Oppo and OLED’s either.....

It’s not just a “Sony Thread” or “HDR” issue. It’s how a part of the Oppo works with a few Sony TV’s. Namely Dolby Vision.

Like it or not......DV is not working between the Sony and the Oppo. Everyone is pointing fingers and until it’s resolved, how can this subject be taboo in this thread ?

rlb, muzz, JFR0317 and 12 others like this.

Sony 75XBR940E
ATV4K
Sony UBP-X700
Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar
post #23979 of 37905 Old 01-18-2018, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSBMAN View Post
Why?

This is a relevant issue for Oppo-203 owners. If the complaints are a problem, I don’t want to see any more posts about issues between the Oppo and OLED’s either.....

It’s not just a “Sony Thread” or “HDR” issue. It’s how a part of the Oppo works with a few Sony TV’s. Namely Dolby Vision.

Like it or not......DV is not working between the Sony and the Oppo. Everyone is pointing fingers and until it’s resolved, how can this subject be taboo in this thread ?

It is not working because Sony only implemented DV for its internal apps for the time being. If Sony had implemented DV over its inputs, then it would be. As for LG, TCL, Vizio, etc. they all have discussions on their DV issues in their display threads and/or the HDR section.

Dolby has said they will be rolling out an update to manufacturers to address the issues.
gsr, brentsg, william06 and 1 others like this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #23980 of 37905 Old 01-18-2018, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
It is not working because Sony only implemented DV for its internal apps for the time being. If Sony had implemented DV over its inputs, then it would be. As for LG, TCL, Vizio, etc. they all have discussions on their DV issues in their display threads and/or the HDR section.

Dolby has said they will be rolling out an update to manufacturers to address the issues.
Could you provide a citation of where I can find this fact documented? So far all I've seen is speculation by folks that don't really know.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #23981 of 37905 Old 01-18-2018, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 880
As I mentioned earlier, given the on-going issues regarding Dolby Vision (regardless of the make/model of device) I think it would be more appropriate for this forum to offer a dedicated 'Dolby Vision General Issues' topic. So all posts could be moved into it...
RayWK likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
post #23982 of 37905 Old 01-18-2018, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:

AFAIK, Dolby is rolling out the Black level fix to everyone. I don’t believe Dolby has anything to do with the Sony-Oppo DV issue.

Oppo has said it could be April before a compatible update is available for Sony TV’s.

greyflag likes this.

Sony 75XBR940E
ATV4K
Sony UBP-X700
Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar
post #23983 of 37905 Old 01-18-2018, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
As I mentioned earlier, given the on-going issues regarding Dolby Vision (regardless of the make/model of device) I think it would be more appropriate for this forum to offer a dedicated 'Dolby Vision General Issues' topic. So all posts could be moved into it...
That would be a good one in the HDR section. Already a few.

post #23984 of 37905 Old 01-18-2018, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:

You are way off base with this one. Sony has done their DV update. It is finished. Done. It works on all their inputs and apps. It works with all their equipment. It was demonstrated at CES with their new 4K blue ray player and TV’s. It is a low latency profile not supported by Oppo or Apple. Oppo is burning the midnight oil to put together compatible firmware. Target date is April. This is an Oppo compatibility issue and very much belongs in this thread.
rlb, StanGeek, kinglm and 1 others like this.

Meridian Audio G65 Sound Processor/UHD 722 HDMI Audio Processor/M6 Active Speakers, Sony A1E 65" OLED 4k UHD, Apple TV, Sony UBP-X1100ES
post #23985 of 37905 Old 01-18-2018, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Good grief....all this stuff about Sony simply confirms that my decision decades ago to stop buying their products was a good call. And their after market service is worse than their products!

Anyhoo, how can Oppo create a FW that works DV to two different standards (and why should they)? What will the impact be to those of us sensible enough not to buy Sony TVs (I know Sony has millions of satisfied customers and indeed loyal fans - I'm definitely not one of them.)

I guess looking at this the other way, will Sony UHD players process DV in such a way that they work with other brands of TV (LG, Vizio, Panasonic etc) or will they only work with Sony TVs.

It's getting slightly scary in that sense....maybe HDMI CEC was the thin end of the wedge.

Perhaps Oppo need to start manufacturing TVs. When can I pre-order cuz that would be really
Ted99 likes this.
post #23986 of 37905 Old 01-18-2018, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbii View Post
Not sure if this is exactly the same issue, but I've had issues playing 3D with my 203 that I didn't have with the 103D, and I note that your friend also has an LG TV and a Denon AVR, the same combination I have. I also play a bunch of Disney 3D.

What I finally did to stop futzing around with 3D discs that didn't want to work was to use the 203 setting that sets 3D to "forced" instead of "Auto." Since I know my receiver and TV support 3D passthru/display, I figure I don't need the 203 to have to query the HDMI chain to see if 3D can be sent for a 3D disc. Since then, I haven't had trouble playing a single 3D disc, and I don't have to change the settings for every disc I play. You don't have to worry about the "forced" setting trying to send 3D for a 2D disc -- that's a different function on the 203.
Great tip...... I also have a LG 3D TV and play a lot of 3D. Thank you.. 😀
post #23987 of 37905 Old 01-18-2018, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 2329 Post(s)
Liked: 1847
Quote:
It is not working because Sony only implemented DV for its internal apps for the time being.
I think this issue is relevant in this thread because there have been assertions that OPPO will be providing a fix for the Sony compatibility issue. While that might be of general interest it's of particular interest to owners. I'm sure if similar announcements are made for the other UHD+DV players those owners will also be interested.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500H/LG C8
post #23988 of 37905 Old 01-18-2018, 09:46 PM

Someone forwarded this to me:
"Content source providers, such as the UDP-203/5 and the Apple TV 4K, will likely need to receive a profile update from Dolby to be able to support the Dolby Vision profile that Sony has added to their line of televisions. This update is expected in the Spring, with an exact release date to be determined as we have to go through a whole new series of certification testing and validation before we are authorized to release the firmware to the public" -- Oppo

I'm not sure if this is off-topic, but if so, my apologies. It's information coming directly from Oppo concerning firmware development for the player mentioned in the subject of this thread.
rlb, StanGeek, ht guy and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Slooshy; 01-18-2018 at 09:53 PM.
post #23989 of 37905 Old 01-18-2018, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring5 View Post
You are way off base with this one. Sony has done their DV update. It is finished. Done. It works on all their inputs and apps. It works with all their equipment. It was demonstrated at CES with their new 4K blue ray player and TV’s. It is a low latency profile not supported by Oppo or Apple. Oppo is burning the midnight oil to put together compatible firmware. Target date is April. This is an Oppo compatibility issue and very much belongs in this thread.
Hahaha
Ya think so?
Bahahaha
brentsg, ti-triodes and smurraybhm like this.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #23990 of 37905 Old 01-19-2018, 02:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4889 Post(s)
Liked: 2892
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairy View Post

Perhaps Oppo need to start manufacturing TVs. When can I pre-order cuz that would be really
Can you imagine how much an Oppo 77" OLED TV would be? It's already astronomical when looking for a 77" LG or Sony OLED TV.

lujan
608 Ultra HD
723 HD
4 SD
post #23991 of 37905 Old 01-19-2018, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I imagine Oppo has a limited number of resources they can devote to firmware updates. I have been looking forward to the non-public beta for HDR to SDR conversion they have been working on to be released as a public beta. I hope they don't have to drop or delay work on this to satisfy Sony's requirement for a "special for me" DV implementation.
nathan_h, Ted99 and COACH2369 like this.

Oppo 203>Marantz 7704>JVC RS520
post #23992 of 37905 Old 01-19-2018, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Quoted: 4754 Post(s)
Liked: 5732
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairy View Post
Good grief....all this stuff about Sony simply confirms that my decision decades ago to stop buying their products was a good call. And their after market service is worse than their products!

Anyhoo, how can Oppo create a FW that works DV to two different standards (and why should they)? What will the impact be to those of us sensible enough not to buy Sony TVs (I know Sony has millions of satisfied customers and indeed loyal fans - I'm definitely not one of them.)

I guess looking at this the other way, will Sony UHD players process DV in such a way that they work with other brands of TV (LG, Vizio, Panasonic etc) or will they only work with Sony TVs.

It's getting slightly scary in that sense....maybe HDMI CEC was the thin end of the wedge.

It's done via HDMI DV messaging to figure out which interface to use.
rlb likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LS Pro, ISF Level III Certified
post #23993 of 37905 Old 01-19-2018, 06:07 AM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2278 Post(s)
Liked: 1921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old A/V Addict View Post
I imagine Oppo has a limited number of resources they can devote to firmware updates. I have been looking forward to the non-public beta for HDR to SDR conversion they have been working on to be released as a public beta. I hope they don't have to drop or delay work on this to satisfy Sony's requirement for a "special for me" DV implementation.
Dolby, not Sony, developed the "low latency" DV profile for Sony. Dolby, not Sony, failed to provide a concurrent capability for "streamers" and players. I seriously doubt that Sony has any requirement or is in any hurry for the Oppo update. Their own DV HDR player was demonstrated at CES (with a Sony Android) and will be released in a few months. Do you think it will support the "low latency" profile?
nathan_h, bwillcox and galonzo like this.

Sony XBR75Z9D, Samsung 65F9000 , Yamaha CX-A5200 & Outlaw 770
Samsung K8500, OPPO 103-D, Genie 2 and C61Ks, Roku Ultra, ATV4K, and Harmony Elite
post #23994 of 37905 Old 01-19-2018, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked: 3205
Anyone else notice how our beta testers have gone silent on this topic? Eventually they will be able to share.

As for Sony, from the cheap seats it seems as if they needed Dolby to help them with a solution that would work with their existing hardware (chips). I'm curious if "low latency" is a superior solution vs. what the others (LG, Vizio, TLC) are doing as claimed by an infamous seller of displays is true. Time will tell
nathan_h and galonzo like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 77" C9, 65” B7a and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Outlaw monoblocks, PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff

Last edited by smurraybhm; 01-19-2018 at 12:12 PM.
post #23995 of 37905 Old 01-19-2018, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 522
I may be wide of the mark here, but purely from the description, this sounds like Dolby is trying to make Dolby Vision viable as a gaming technology to rival HDR10 and have convinced Sony to join them. I don't think it will in any way be superior for movie/TV watching.

It quite possibly will make their sets permanently incompatible with some DV UHD players that don't have the spare processing capacity for their end. I'd be worried that LG's cheap DV player might not be updated for example. Hopefully, the Oppo does have the spare oomph, but we will see.
galonzo likes this.

LG OLED65E6V, Yamaha RX-A3060 AVR, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray player, Apple TV 4K, Sky Q 2TB, Chromecast Ultra
Home-built Ivy Bridge i5-3570K HTPC, 8GB RAM and Nvidia GTX1050 GPU with Plex and Jriver Media Centre,
Ruipro 15M Fiber HDMI cable, B&W FPM speakers, Logitech Harmony Ultimate intelligent remote.
post #23996 of 37905 Old 01-19-2018, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Dolby Vision

Hi,

- For those that have used Dolby Vision on this player, are you satisfied with the PQ?
- Does this player support Dolby Atmos and DTS-X?
- How is the sound quality if I use it with Sony HTST-5000 soundbar?

Thanks.
post #23997 of 37905 Old 01-19-2018, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Are all the output terminals live at the same time? In other words, could I seamlessly switch between HDMI, 5.1 analog out, and stereo analog out on the fly with one source playing?
post #23998 of 37905 Old 01-19-2018, 08:36 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5854 Post(s)
Liked: 8363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post
Are all the output terminals live at the same time? In other words, could I seamlessly switch between HDMI, 5.1 analog out, and stereo analog out on the fly with one source playing?
Yes.

However if you want to wire 5.1 Analog and Stereo Analog into separate inputs of your AVR you should look at the 205 instead of the 203. The 205 has Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs (an RCA pair and an XLR pair) in addition to the 7.1 channel multi-channel Analog RCA set. The 203 has only the 7.1 channel multi-channel Analog set. It is easy to configure that for Stereo output if you want, but if you have it wired into your multi-channel Analog input on the AVR you won't have separate jacks to wire into a separate Stereo input on the AVR.
--Bob
galonzo likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #23999 of 37905 Old 01-19-2018, 08:37 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked: 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
- For those that have used Dolby Vision on this player, are you satisfied with the PQ?
It's well known that there's an issue with black levels in the letterbox bars with a fix coming from Dolby that the TV manufactures will need to integrate into their firmware. Otherwise, people seem to be satisfied unless they own a Sony TV (please read the last few pages of the thread before asking why...).

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
That's more a question of how good the Sony soundbar is as the Oppo isn't going to be the limiting factor here. I'm not a soundbar guy, so I have no idea how that Sony model stacks up against other options, but suspect I can safely assume it won't be nearly as good a a good pre-pro/amp combination (or a decent AVR) and a set of nice speakers. But this is a question that is best addressed in a different thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post
Yes.
galonzo likes this.

Last edited by gsr; 01-19-2018 at 09:09 AM.
post #24000 of 37905 Old 01-19-2018, 09:00 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked: 4598
Quote:
Hi,

Are you asking people to contrast DV with HDR10? Opinions vary; it's not really a player issue.

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
You are sticking with HDMI output from the player? It is a digital transport: all players are going to sound the same.

-Bill
rlb, gwsat and galonzo like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page