Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 801 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279647Likes

post #24001 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2387 Post(s)
Liked: 3027
Happy with my 203 and happy with my Sony
william06 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24002 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
It's well known that there's an issue with black levels in the letterbox bars with a fix coming from Dolby that the TV manufactures will need to integrate into their firmware. Otherwise, people seem to be satisfied unless they own a Sony TV (please read the last few pages of the thread before asking why...).

Yes.

That's more a question of how good the Sony soundbar is as the Oppo isn't going to be the limiting factor here. I'm not a soundbar guy, so I have no idea how that Sony model stacks up against other options, but suspect I can safely assume it won't be nearly as good a a good pre-pro/amp combination (or a decent AVR) and a set of nice speakers. But this is a question that is best addressed in a different thread.

Yes.
Happy with my Oppo yes I feel they have been very good with customer concerns and realistic fixes for what they said the 203 was going to be able to (Grade A++++). I feel that Dolby manned up and did the right thing by acknowledging there was a problem and they gave a fix to all of the manufacturers to implement into the tv's (GradeA++++). Am I happy with LG NO Way, they need to get their act and fix something without customers putting up a fight and forcing them to it (Grade F). Eventually LG will loose market share and that will dictate their attitude and how we as consumers are treated. In conclusion Oppo Awesome Company, LG currently NOT GOOD.
galonzo and Titan319 like this.
post #24003 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Maybe the moderator is on track after all

message from John Archer
[UPDATE: I've been pressing Sony again today for an official response on the story below. I've been assured that such a response is indeed being worked on (Sony is not just burying its head in the sand, in other words), and that this response will appear 'within a few days'. In the mean time, a source at Sony has suggested to me that the brand had 'been told' ahead of its Dolby Vision firmware roll out that all external Dolby Vision source products had already received the necessary update to ensure compatibility with Sony's TVs!

As a result, Sony did not expect the current issues to arise, and so hadn't got a response ready to put out right away.

If what my source says is correct, it seems pretty remarkable that Sony seemingly didn't test for itself all potential external Dolby Vision sources (there aren't really that many, after all) before rolling its Dolby Vision TV update out, rather than seemingly just taking someone's word for it.

There is one positive take away from this latest bit of information I've obtained, though. Namely that Sony's Dolby Vision firmware update should, eventually, deliver DV over HDMI (and USB) - despite what some rather garbled Sony Customer Services announcements I've seen today appear to imply.

I'll let you know as soon as the eagerly awaited official Sony response arrives. Until then, the original story appears unchanged below.]
galonzo and wasima like this.

Meridian Audio G65 Sound Processor/UHD 722 HDMI Audio Processor/M6 Active Speakers, Sony A1E 65" OLED 4k UHD, Apple TV, Sony UBP-X1100ES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24004 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
For those that have used Dolby Vision on this player, are you satisfied with the PQ?
Completely satisfied! Best picture quality I've ever had in my living room!
budeone and Greg TB like this.
post #24005 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just returned my Sony X800 and picked up the Oppo UDP 203 instead the other day. I'm thinking now, while I really do love the player; I'm wondering if maybe I should have waited? With CES running now, what are the chances that OPPO will release a new model?

Will the UDP-203 and 205 be the only models for a while? This is my first OPPO, not sure if they release as fast as the other manufacturers.
post #24006 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBARxv View Post
I just returned my Sony X800 and picked up the Oppo UDP 203 instead the other day. I'm thinking now, while I really do love the player; I'm wondering if maybe I should have waited? With CES running now, what are the chances that OPPO will release a new model?

Will the UDP-203 and 205 be the only models for a while? This is my first OPPO, not sure if they release as fast as the other manufacturers.
Unless there is a big tech change/breakthrough don't expect a new model in the next few years.
galonzo likes this.
post #24007 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 02:25 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5855 Post(s)
Liked: 8363
Quote:

OPPO definitely does not churn models as fast as other makers. On average it's about 2 years between models. The gap between their last Blu-ray player (the 10x models) and these first, new, UHD players (the current, 20x models) was longer. In some cases there have been variant models (additional stuff added to the current model) in between.

The 203 launched December 2016, so just over a year ago.

As best I know, OPPO is not showing a new model at CES.
--Bob
galonzo likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #24008 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3978 Post(s)
Liked: 3245
Quote:

Your risk is minimal. A used UDP-203 sells for almost as much as a new one. Save all the factory packing and stuff, even in a year's time you can still sell it for 60-70% of what you paid.
galonzo likes this.
post #24009 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 396
When I sold my 103 on Ebay, it sold in less than 30 minutes at the same price I bought it for and this was after I ordered the 203.
galonzo likes this.

Sony 75Z9D, Denon 4300H, Sony 65Z9D, Denon X4311, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4K, X1X Scorpio
post #24010 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich V View Post
Unless there is a big tech change/breakthrough don't expect a new model in the next few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
OPPO definitely does not churn models as fast as other makers. On average it's about 2 years between models. The gap between their last Blu-ray player (the 10x models) and these first, new, UHD players (the current, 20x models) was longer. In some cases there have been variant models (additional stuff added to the current model) in between.

The 203 launched December 2016, so just over a year ago.

As best I know, OPPO is not showing a new model at CES.
--Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Your risk is minimal. A used UDP-203 sells for almost as much as a new one. Save all the factory packing and stuff, even in a year's time you can still sell it for 60-70% of what you paid.
Thanks for the replies gents, I feel confident in my purchase. Well even more so now.
post #24011 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2489
Anybody have ANY info or updates on the possible "HDR Tone Mapping" for the 203 that has been referenced by several people over the past week or so? Kris Deering ( testing a Beta version) has mentioned this several times ..
post #24012 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
Anybody have ANY info or updates on the possible "HDR Tone Mapping" for the 203 that has been referenced by several people over the past week or so? Kris Deering ( testing a Beta version) has mentioned this several times ..

I would be interested in hearing more on this too. It may be enough to make me switch over from the UB900.
nathan_h and galonzo like this.
post #24013 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok, so I was playing the second Blu Ray disk I've had since I just got the player. About 60 seconds into the previews it goes black and needs to be reset.

Now I'm 100% unable to get any sound out of the unit. Video is fine - no audio. Receiver says it's receiving nothing on that HDMI. Connect that cable to something else - works. Do a full factory reset on the Oppo - nothing. Tried different ports and cables. Has anyone heard of this before? It was outputting audio normally before this. Audio is set for 100% volume and isn't muted, and like I said I did a full reset on the player.

Receiver is a Yamaha 583 with latest firmware.

Any advice before I try Oppo tomorrow?
post #24014 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 08:00 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4726 Post(s)
Liked: 4602
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenemissing View Post
Ok, so I was playing the second Blu Ray disk I've had since I just got the player. About 60 seconds into the previews it goes black and needs to be reset.

Now I'm 100% unable to get any sound out of the unit. Video is fine - no audio. Receiver says it's receiving nothing on that HDMI. Connect that cable to something else - works. Do a full factory reset on the Oppo - nothing. Tried different ports and cables. Has anyone heard of this before? It was outputting audio normally before this. Audio is set for 100% volume and isn't muted, and like I said I did a full reset on the player.

It is happening with every disc? What happens if you toggle between Bitstream and LPCM for HDMI Audio output?

If you press and hold the Info button and scroll down to the bottom, what does the OPPO say it is sending out for audio?

-Bill
galonzo likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #24015 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 08:16 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

In addition to what Bill said just above:

If you are using dual HDMI cabling out of the OPPO, double-check that you have the audio HDMI cable (to the AVR) plugged into the HDMI Audio *OUTPUT* of the OPPO and not the player's HDMI Input.

See if you have Analog audio playback. Check with a CD disc for example. You can cable the Left Front and Right Front jacks of the multi-channel Analog output set to any stereo Analog input pair on your AVR.

If the above testing does not lead to an easy fix, then get in touch with OPPO Tech Support. Your player may need Warranty service. They will likely ask you to try a re-install of the firmware first to see if they can save you having to ship the unit out.
--Bob
galonzo likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #24016 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
It is happening with every disc? What happens if you toggle between Bitstream and LPCM for HDMI Audio output?

If you press and hold the Info button and scroll down to the bottom, what does the OPPO say it is sending out for audio?

-Bill

It is happening with every disk. Same issue on toggling Bitstream and LPCM.

If I enable audio out on the second HDMI, that has audio (but no video obviously)

On holding Info - output varies based on disk. I had DTS-MA on one, DTS on another. AC3 on some test files.
post #24017 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 08:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
It is happening with every disk. Same issue on toggling Bitstream and LPCM.

If I enable audio out on the second HDMI, that has audio (but no video obviously)

On holding Info - output varies based on disk. I had DTS-MA on one, DTS on another. AC3 on some test files.
Just to be clear, there is no setting in the player to "enable" the HDMI Audio output. It gets enabled simply by being cabled. If you have the HDMI Audio output cabled, the Main HDMI output will carry no audio. Could this be your problem?

(The Secondary Audio setting in the player has nothing to do with enabling the HDMI Audio output. It has to do with whether "Secondary Audio" found on some Blu-ray discs will play mixed into the feature audio track or not.)
--Bob
galonzo likes this.

post #24018 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 08:28 PM

I may have misunderstood that option. In Settings > Audio Output > Secondary Audio I tried turning that on and connecting the Oppo's second HDMI/audio only port to my receiver and that worked. I mistakenly thought that you had to enable the second port to use it.

However, I only had one cable connected at a time, and it was connected to the main HDMI except for a brief test. It all worked until the middle of a preview on a Blu disk, and has not worked since.
post #24019 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 08:32 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
I may have misunderstood that option. In Settings > Audio Output > Secondary Audio I tried turning that on and connecting the Oppo's second HDMI/audio only port to my receiver and that worked. I mistakenly thought that you had to enable the second port to use it.

However, I only had one cable connected at a time, and it was connected to the main HDMI except for a brief test. It all worked until the middle of a preview on a Blu disk, and has not worked since.
OK, check to see if you have Analog audio by wiring an RCA cable pair to your AVR.

With the set of information you've collected by that point, I suggest you email OPPO Tech Support -- use the Email Us link on OPPO's Support page for the player. OPPO Tech Support frequently monitors that email even on weekends and holidays.
--Bob

post #24020 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
OK, check to see if you have Analog audio by wiring an RCA cable pair to your AVR.

With the set of information you've collected by that point, I suggest you email OPPO Tech Support -- use the Email Us link on OPPO's Support page for the player. OPPO Tech Support frequently monitors that email even on weekends and holidays.
--Bob
So I did as you said and analog audio works normally. Audio from the second HDMI also works. It's just the main HDMI that's acting up.

I emailed Oppo via that link. I suspect a bad HDMI port at this point.
post #24021 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 09:23 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
So I did as you said and analog audio works normally. Audio from the second HDMI also works. It's just the main HDMI that's acting up.

I emailed Oppo via that link. I suspect a bad HDMI port at this point.
Try this:

Remove any disc in the Tray.

In Setup > Device Setup > Persistent Storage do an Erase Persistent Storage.

Turn the player Off.

Pull its power plug.

While still unplugged, disconnect EVERYTHING from the player except the Main HDMI cable to your AVR.

While still unplugged, press and hold the Power button on the Front Panel for a few seconds. This is to discharge any residual power.

Turn your AVR and TV Off. Then power on just the TV. After it is fully powered up, power on the AVR too.

The goal here is to force the player to do a complete reboot of even its lowest level hardware, and to get the TV and AVR to restart their HDMI connections.

So now plug in power for the player, power it up, and check for audio on the Main HDMI output -- still with nothing else connected to the player.

If that WORKS reconnect any other connections you might have had to the player -- one at a time -- checking for proper operation of audio after each. It is possible one of the other cables or devices you had connected to the player is faulty, and is interfering with the operation of the player.

If it DOESN'T WORK, go into Setup > Video Setup and select Video Resolution CUSTOM and Custom Resolution 1080i/60. Check again for audio over the Main HDMI output. This is checking for whether your AVR has a problem with the fancy new Copy Protection involved when you try to pass 4K video through the AVR to your TV. The AVR may be failing the Copy Protection check for the audio inside the 4K video signal. (The Audio HDMI output doesn't send 4K, so it doesn't use the new Copy Protection.)

--Bob
galonzo likes this.

post #24022 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 401
I continue to have uhd blush play back issues... namely on the blade runner movie. I am on my third disc and it continues to freeze up in roughly the same spot(s)... I watch "current nitrate" and it drops to zero or very low 3-5mms. Is this a player issue or a manufacturing issue with the discs? The opportunity has frozen on other hdr/uhd discs but has always played thru the freeze if I go back and replay the sequence... not with blade runner.

Astell&Kern Futura SE100-Klipsch x11i-Klipsch x20i-Focal Clear
Pioneer SC85-NOS Valves NBS Preamp-NOS Valves Magnequest VRD
Klipsch Cornwall-Heresy II Signature-SW115-La Scala II 70th
Wyred4Sound DAC 2v2se 10th Anniversary-OPPO UHP203
Samsung PN64D8000-LG C7/65"
post #24023 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2809 Post(s)
Liked: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I would be interested in hearing more on this too. It may be enough to make me switch over from the UB900.
I think Kris has mentioned that he can’t say more and all the beta testers are under NDA.

I’m guessing perhaps Oppo didn’t intend for Kris to mention it, either..... it being a journalist and not a beta tester he probably didn’t get the same NDA or was only mentioning it in relation to an unrelated topic (tone mapping in other devices) so wasn’t really intending it to be a report about a preview he had seen.

I too am eager to learn and see more and if it’s as good as implied, I’ll be re-buying the Oppo.
AidenL and galonzo like this.
post #24024 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Try this:

Remove any disc in the Tray.

In Setup > Device Setup > Persistent Storage do an Erase Persistent Storage.

Turn the player Off.

Pull its power plug.

While still unplugged, disconnect EVERYTHING from the player except the Main HDMI cable to your AVR.

While still unplugged, press and hold the Power button on the Front Panel for a few seconds. This is to discharge any residual power.

Turn your AVR and TV Off. Then power on just the TV. After it is fully powered up, power on the AVR too.

The goal here is to force the player to do a complete reboot of even its lowest level hardware, and to get the TV and AVR to restart their HDMI connections.

So now plug in power for the player, power it up, and check for audio on the Main HDMI output -- still with nothing else connected to the player.

If that WORKS reconnect any other connections you might have had to the player -- one at a time -- checking for proper operation of audio after each. It is possible one of the other cables or devices you had connected to the player is faulty, and is interfering with the operation of the player.

If it DOESN'T WORK, go into Setup > Video Setup and select Video Resolution CUSTOM and Custom Resolution 1080i/60. Check again for audio over the Main HDMI output. This is checking for whether your AVR has a problem with the fancy new Copy Protection involved when you try to pass 4K video through the AVR to your TV. The AVR may be failing the Copy Protection check for the audio inside the 4K video signal. (The Audio HDMI output doesn't send 4K, so it doesn't use the new Copy Protection.)

--Bob
Sadly none of this worked. I did your power reset/factory settings reset combo. I left it unplugged for 30 minutes afterward and still no luck. Also tried the 1080i test. No audio still.

Strongly leaning towards a bad HDMI port. Since it's under a month old I'll probably end up RMAing it if Oppo support does not have anything for me.
post #24025 of 37908 Old 01-19-2018, 11:21 PM

By the way - thanks to both of you as always for helping diagnose this. You guys are always a ton of help on these Oppo threads!
post #24026 of 37908 Old 01-20-2018, 12:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2489
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

I too am eager to learn and see more and if it’s as good as implied, I’ll be re-buying the Oppo.
I still have my Oppo 203, BUT havnt used it in ages as i much prefer the UB900 at present.

IF Oppo implement the "HDR Tone Mapping" and release it for the general end user, i would gladly fire up the 203 once again ...and who knows, it might even take over from the UB900 this time around..
OzHDHT likes this.
post #24027 of 37908 Old 01-20-2018, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Sadly none of this worked. I did your power reset/factory settings reset combo. I left it unplugged for 30 minutes afterward and still no luck. Also tried the 1080i test. No audio still.
Strongly leaning towards a bad HDMI port. Since it's under a month old I'll probably end up RMAing it if Oppo support does not have anything for me.

Make sure your input on the AVR is on a port which supports HDCP2.2 - I had a similar issue with my setup until I RTFM and found that only ONE of the four HDMI ports on my TV is actually HDCP2.2-capable.

So first, check on the specs of your AVR
galonzo likes this.

TV: LG OLED 55C7
Player: Oppo UDP-203
AVR: Cambridge Audio CXR200
Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), SVS PB-1000 sub
post #24028 of 37908 Old 01-20-2018, 01:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 522
It is very odd, because there is no "audio pin" or "pins" in HDMI. Audio is multiplexed into the same data stream as the video.
galonzo likes this.
post #24029 of 37908 Old 01-20-2018, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
By the way - thanks to both of you as always for helping diagnose this. You guys are always a ton of help on these Oppo threads!
Long shot, but you haven't accidentally enabled the ARC input on the Oppo? Manual page 26.

Panasonic TX-55EZ952B OLED / Oppo UDP-203 / Onkyo TX-NR555 / B&W 600 Series + Elac A4 Atmos
post #24030 of 37908 Old 01-20-2018, 07:16 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Unless OPPO has some history specific to your AVR, there’s only one more thing you can try on your own: Re-install the firmware. To do that:

1) Download the firmware file for USB install from OPPO’s Support page for the 54-1127 firmware. The link to that is on their Support page for the player. Put that file on a USB stick.

2) With that stick plugged into the player, go to Setup > Device Setup > Update Firmware and select From USB.

3) Answer Yes when asked if you want to re-install.

4) After the re-install, do a Reset Factory Defaults.

5) Last step is to turn the player Off and back On again.

Then test for audio from Main HDMI.
—Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page