Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 806 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279436Likes

post #24151 of 37602 Old 01-23-2018, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Sometimes Windows gets mad about NTFS permissions, and refuses to share if the permissions aren't right. Suggest you re-set the entire drive for full permission to "everyone". That's the security tab in drive properties, not the sharing tab.
Thanks but Device manager no longer sees the drive.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24152 of 37602 Old 01-23-2018, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauraus View Post
The SMBv1 security holes are not potential passwords are sent in plaintext over the network , and you do not want to do that on any network office or home. The firewall on your router plays no role in the security of your home network in this case, because your router will not route traffic from your private network (RFC-1819) to the public internet.

I ran into this issue myself when I first hooked up my 203 and discovered that my SMB shares on my SAN were not visible, after talking to Oppo support they confirmed to work on fix for this and that SMBv2 (maybe v3) support will be forthcoming.
I appreciate your response and I look forward to Oppo solving the Network failure.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #24153 of 37602 Old 01-23-2018, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
Thanks but Device manager no longer sees the drive.
You may be able to see the drive again by going into your computer's BIOS and seeing how the drives are configured. If it's a USB drive, there might be a problem with the USB setup in either your BIOS or in Windows. Be careful, if you start fooling around in the BIOS. You should definitely make a backup of your current BIOS settings first.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24154 of 37602 Old 01-23-2018, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Anyone have issues playing burned blu rays? I have been reauthoring my 3d blu rays with the atmos track off the 4k blu ray. Couple discs have worked fine, but I tried one today and the video would freeze with the audio continuing and then the video would catch up again. I tried the same disc on my laptop drive and an older Samsung blu ray player and both handled the disc fine.
post #24155 of 37602 Old 01-23-2018, 10:55 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5839 Post(s)
Liked: 8334
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
Anyone have issues playing burned blu rays? I have been reauthoring my 3d blu rays with the atmos track off the 4k blu ray. Couple discs have worked fine, but I tried one today and the video would freeze with the audio continuing and then the video would catch up again. I tried the same disc on my laptop drive and an older Samsung blu ray player and both handled the disc fine.
The usual problem with burned discs is that you have the burner set to run too fast. But check with OPPO Tech Support, giving them the specifics on the media you are using to see if they have any history with that media type. Writeable media types vary.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #24156 of 37602 Old 01-23-2018, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The usual problem with burned discs is that you have the burner set to run too fast. But check with OPPO Tech Support, giving them the specifics on the media you are using to see if they have any history with that media type. Writeable media types vary.
--Bob
Yeah I was wondering about that, back in the day on CDR I know that was a big issue, wasnt sure if it still was today. Thanks!
post #24157 of 37602 Old 01-23-2018, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
When you make a change to any of the Custom settings, the Video Resolution setting will also change from AUTO to CUSTOM.

If you change Video Resolution back to AUTO, then the Custom settings (still shown in the menu) will not be in use.

Anyway, what you want is:

Video Resolution > Custom
Custom Resolution > UHD Auto

For my E6 (not E7), I also use:
Color Space > 4:2:2
Color Depth > Auto
HDR > Auto

--Bob
Just wanted to say thank you for this information. I have a Z9D and while it says I was getting HDR, it wasn't getting the bit depth or BT2020 and I was oblivious. I was getting 709 at 8bit, but still said HDR on my TV, so never thought to look at the info button on Oppo. I had to set the HDR to forced for everything to work properly, but holy guacamole batman, what a huge difference that made. I have the new Lego Ninjao movie and the color just exploded after making these changes. Now to go rewatch all my HDR 4K videos.

Thanks Bob, you're an invaluable wealth of knowledge!
galonzo and cemo62 like this.

Last edited by pgwalsh; 01-23-2018 at 02:45 PM.
post #24158 of 37602 Old 01-23-2018, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Sometimes Windows gets mad about NTFS permissions, and refuses to share if the permissions aren't right. Suggest you re-set the entire drive for full permission to "everyone". That's the security tab in drive properties, not the sharing tab.
I can't think of a worse solution to suggest to anyone, windows has file security for a reason, you just gave anything that gets in a golden ticket to infect every file.
I can not strongly enough suggest anyone even considering this incredibly dangerous approach to research it more before committing file system suicide.
EllisGJ and Titan319 like this.
post #24159 of 37602 Old 01-23-2018, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Oppo 203 compatibility for photos

Waaaz up everyone. I set up network sharing from my hard drive to view photos however I can never get my oppo to see the canon raw files. I?m thinking theyll need to get converted to jpg to view however, since oopo 203 pretty much reads everything I thought it might be possible that I?m doing something wrong.....

SPEAKERS- B&W 702s2, B&W HTM71 S2,
OPPO UDP 203 player/pre, EMOTIVA UPA-2
TV - LG OLED65b7
post #24160 of 37602 Old 01-24-2018, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Sorry, but you are correct. See the FAQ

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/UDP-2...ml#media-files
galonzo likes this.
post #24161 of 37602 Old 01-24-2018, 02:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
On a side note is anyone getting random freeze/video skip a few seconds when playing mkv's from USB drives, seems to have got worse with the lasted firmware version?[/QUOTE]

Hi! I have the same problem. When playing from the USB hard drive (WD My Passport Ultra 4TB, connected to OPPO via USB 3.0) of M2TS are sometimes quite spontaneously, the video slows down dramatically (almost to single-frame playback) for a few seconds, even the sound disappears. A few seconds later everything recovers. The situation is never repeated on the same spot of the film. I suspect that overflows some cache. Connect the USB hard drive to external power supply did not solve the problem. Have you come to any solution to this problem? Firmware 42. Thank you for any ideas!
post #24162 of 37602 Old 01-24-2018, 02:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakhouse View Post
I can never get my oppo to see the canon raw files. I?m thinking theyll need to get converted to jpg to view however...
If you can, I suggest you convert from RAW to .PNG, as it's lossless.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
post #24163 of 37602 Old 01-24-2018, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwando View Post
SMB. Everything is hard-wired gigabit ethernet w/ Cat6. As I said this was all working perfectly with a 105D. The only thing that changed was the player itself, I just swapped the units. NAS is quiet, only used for storage, no torrents or other regular workloads.

Hi,

I don’t have Problems with SMB. I use the Oppo on a Yamaha 2070 and via Wifi via SMB on the Apple Airport. Only a small delay when film starts - showing 25%, 50% …
My Airport Station is close to the Oppo about 1m (don‘t want to fiddle with cables around the edge)

Regards

Last edited by Erwin2017; 01-24-2018 at 04:11 AM.
post #24164 of 37602 Old 01-24-2018, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 97
This is about Dolby Vision support from other sources than the original disc. I believe support for this is extremely limited at the moment if the source is UHD disc whether it's hw media player or sw PC realm. I yesterday transferred Discs 1 and 2 of Westworld (I purchased it personally) series to 4TB hard drive using certain free software and LG's BD-XL UHD friendly drive. Idea was to test if DV is enabled during the playback. Files were backupped in BDMV structure mode and then "flag" of the some of the files was modified so that Oppo will allow playback like files were playing from the original disc. Result: Yes, disc structure with menus and all played back and DV was activated. USB hard drive was connected to USB3.0. Only drawback is that discs with Cinavia protection will be unplayable. I did not check if this particular title has it because it takes quite a long time Cinavia to activate if present.
galonzo likes this.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Oppo UDP-203 and Oppo BDP-83 both hw region modded, M9702 v3 "Chinoppo" (65-0131), Apple TV 4K 32GB, LG OLED55E6V 55", Asustor 2-Bay NAS currently 8TB

Last edited by hlindstr; 01-24-2018 at 05:53 AM.
post #24165 of 37602 Old 01-24-2018, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Has the quality of the Oppo's 4K upscale dropped recently? This was mentioned on another forum and I've found the same issue on mine.

If you pop up the home menu and put the Oppo into Source Direct mode, you get a 1080P output - presumably this is the native resolution of the home menu. If I let my TV upscale to 4K, the icons are nice and smooth, everything looks good.

However, if I put the Oppo into UHD output, the upscale looks much worse. There's a lot of stair-stepping on diagonals and particularly on the circular icon.

I'm sure this is something that used to be much better. I'm on current UK firmware.

Panasonic TX-55EZ952B OLED / Oppo UDP-203 / Onkyo TX-NR555 / B&W 600 Series + Elac A4 Atmos
post #24166 of 37602 Old 01-24-2018, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Well, when my old plasma flat panels finally give out and it's time to replace them with 4KHDR sets, you can bet Sony will not be in the mix.
blairy likes this.

Oppo 203>Marantz 7704>JVC RS520
post #24167 of 37602 Old 01-24-2018, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
This is a must, to play TrueHD/Atmos from MKV.

Or alternately, select/play a 'Dolby Digital' audio track and then switch to playing the TrueHD/Atmos track.

Thanks for this tip.
Hi All,

I have a few issues with my udp203.

1) I have tried the suggestion (i.e. Standby to Energy efficient/Power cycle and play Dolby Digital+ clip) to play Truehd from MKV file but it didn't work. Any other suggestion?

2) Could not get the Oppo media control iOS app to connect to the 203. I tried both ways, manual IP and eject+pressing stop button. The 'connecting' status doesn't appear.

Appreciate any help. Thanks.
post #24168 of 37602 Old 01-24-2018, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakhouse View Post
Waaaz up everyone. I set up network sharing from my hard drive to view photos however I can never get my oppo to see the canon raw files. I?m thinking theyll need to get converted to jpg to view however, since oopo 203 pretty much reads everything I thought it might be possible that I?m doing something wrong.....
RAW files aren't image files, they're data files containing the data captured by the sensor. There is no "image" in a RAW file, the data has to be processed considerably before there's an image that can be displayed on a screen. The Oppo does not do RAW processing and your TV can't do it so even if the Oppo could "see" the files and pass them to your TV, your TV could not display an image. You need to convert the RAW files to an image file format that the Oppo recognises and that your TV can display and JPEG is probably the best option.

When you look at a photo you've just taken on your camera's LCD screen, you also aren't seeing the RAW file, you're seeing a JPEG conversion of the RAW file data. Basically a RAW file contains 2 sorts of information, metadata for lots of things including some stuff like white balance info needed for the conversion to an image file, and luminance data (brightness data) from each photosite ("pixel") on your camera's sensor. The sensor is covered by a Bayer filter which puts either a red, green, or blue filter over each individual photosite and the camera records the amount of light reaching the photosite through the filter and that means that each photosite is not recording colour data, it's only recording monochrome data. The red, green and blue monochrome luminance data from adjacent photosites on the sensor has to be manipulated and combined to create the colour data required for each pixel of the eventual image data and several other processes have to be done before your camera, or your computer monitor, or your TV can display a photo you would recognise. When you open your RAW files in your processing software on your computer, or look at them on your camera's screen after taking the photo, the processing software or camera firmware does all the data manipulation necessary to display an image but neither Oppo's nor your display's firmware includes the programming to do that sort of function.

That's why the Oppo isn't seeing your files. They're not in a format the Oppo recognises and RAW file data isn't something the Oppo can process, or that your TV can display. The Oppo recognises some common image file formats such as JPEG but it doesn't recognise RAW files because they aren't an image file format.
galonzo likes this.
post #24169 of 37602 Old 01-24-2018, 06:13 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4687 Post(s)
Liked: 4562
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertsbbc View Post
Has the quality of the Oppo's 4K upscale dropped recently? This was mentioned on another forum and I've found the same issue on mine.

If you pop up the home menu and put the Oppo into Source Direct mode, you get a 1080P output - presumably this is the native resolution of the home menu. If I let my TV upscale to 4K, the icons are nice and smooth, everything looks good.

However, if I put the Oppo into UHD output, the upscale looks much worse. There's a lot of stair-stepping on diagonals and particularly on the circular icon.

I'm sure this is something that used to be much better. I'm on current UK firmware.
Try test patterns of known quality from a calibration disc.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #24170 of 37602 Old 01-24-2018, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkkl View Post
1) I have tried the suggestion (i.e. Standby to Energy efficient/Power cycle and play Dolby Digital+ clip) to play Truehd from MKV file but it didn't work. Any other suggestion?

2) Could not get the Oppo media control iOS app to connect to the 203. I tried both ways, manual IP and eject+pressing stop button. The 'connecting' status doesn't appear.
Be sure that Power is set to "Network Standby". The Oppo won't see the Power On command otherwise.
post #24171 of 37602 Old 01-24-2018, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertsbbc View Post

same here .... I do think "something" was done on the player related the "brightness/contrast" of the player and it affected the home screen ... I noticed it just after upgrading to the last firmware (I had no changes on the TV). Any calibrators on here could please chime in?
post #24172 of 37602 Old 01-24-2018, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Oppo's comment on the Dolby Vision / Sony story is included here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#5caeb711498a

“OPPO is working with Dolby and [chip maker] MTK to overcome this issue. We do not have a time scale as to when we will have a fix, but it is a priority.”
post #24173 of 37602 Old 01-24-2018, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just got my UDP-203 in the mail...Im running it to a Denon X4100W (does NOT support 4k) but running 2 HDMI for sound and video. The video is going straight from the player to my Epson 5040, the other (audio only) is running to my AVR. I am not able to get any sound by running it this way. I have called both Denon and OPPO but have not been able to figure out the issue. I have used the player running a single HDMI through my AVR and it works fine. I am planning on trying different HDMI cables tonight to see if the cable is bad but was hoping for some further help. The OPPO is running the latest firmware...
post #24174 of 37602 Old 01-24-2018, 01:06 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96p993 View Post
Just got my UDP-203 in the mail...Im running it to a Denon X4100W (does NOT support 4k) but running 2 HDMI for sound and video. The video is going straight from the player to my Epson 5040, the other (audio only) is running to my AVR. I am not able to get any sound by running it this way. I have called both Denon and OPPO but have not been able to figure out the issue. I have used the player running a single HDMI through my AVR and it works fine. I am planning on trying different HDMI cables tonight to see if the cable is bad but was hoping for some further help. The OPPO is running the latest firmware...
Do you have a cable connecting the AVR to the projector? Try disconnecting that.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #24175 of 37602 Old 01-24-2018, 01:07 PM

I do...It is run through AVR for my dish...
post #24176 of 37602 Old 01-24-2018, 01:12 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96p993 View Post
I do...It is run through AVR for my dish...
It's a diagnostic. If disconnecting the cable corrects the problem then we know something.

-Bill

post #24177 of 37602 Old 01-24-2018, 01:13 PM

Will do so tonight.
post #24178 of 37602 Old 01-24-2018, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 5539 Post(s)
Liked: 3939
For those with DV capable Sony TV's, on the ATV thread, beta 11.3 now allows DV via HDMI on your tv's. So it appears Apple was able easily update their FW, so I can't imagine it would be that difficult on the 203. Hoping the beta FW on the ATV fixes elevated blacks with DV on LG, Vizio, etc. If it does, there would be no need for those tv manufacturers to upgrade their FW.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post55560850
ht guy, chi_guy50, grtuck and 1 others like this.
post #24179 of 37602 Old 01-24-2018, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked: 1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
... so I can't imagine it would be that difficult on the 203.
When people report that OPPO support said "X" is that a typical customer support "X" or is it likely to be true?
Is a statement to the press (see below) equally likely to be true? I've never dealt with OPPO support so I have no first hand knowledge.

OPPO via John Archer 24-Jan:
“OPPO is working with Dolby and [chip maker] MTK to overcome this issue. We do not have a time scale as to when we will have a fix, but it is a priority.”

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500H/LG C8
post #24180 of 37602 Old 01-24-2018, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Calling Bob Pariseau (sorry!)...

Hi Bob - Asking for your opinion based upon your expert knowledge of both Anthem AVR50 and Oppo 203...

I am basically trying to tie together an "old" system with the Oppo 203. I have a 5.1 speaker set-up .

I am adding the Oppo 203 into my system where I am still using and Anthem AVM50v as my processor. I will be feeding my projector video directly from the Oppo. I would say the Oppo would be used for 90% BD/DVD watching and 10% SACD music listening.

How would you hook in the AVM50 to give me the best audio? Should I use optical or HDMI out of Oppo and have the AVM50 process? Or should I have the Oppo use its DAC's and connect via analog? Unfortunately due to my audio cabinet, it is not easy to do a A/B comparison. Once I pull components out, it is a real hassle trying to move and reconnect cables.

Sorry for the basic questions....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page