Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 866 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279444Likes

post #25951 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post
All that I would’ve been fine with, except for the stereo down mix part, I didn’t think of that. The DAC is also an amp, and I would’ve manually measured the distances and levels, set the “fronts” to large in the receiver ( even though I’m not using them, for bass management sake). I use Audessey reference which doesn’t correct the L/R anyway.

The Oppo gives a bunch of down mix options, too bad just the FR and FL for SPDIF wasn’t one of them. It would be a great feature IMO. Especially with the emergence of new DSP powered speakers such as the Kef LS50W with digital inputs (these would’ve been my next step).

Thanks for the info.
This won't be quite what you were trying to do but it may work for you.

I've got 2 systems, a stereo music system in one room and the AV system in another room. The music system uses a Devialet which is both a DAC and amp and has analog inputs as well as digital. If the reason you want to use your DAC/amp with the front L and R channels is primarily for stereo music playback with those 2 speakers in a single system rather than having separate systems as I do, this should work reasonably well if your amp also accepts analog input.

Feed HDMI to your AVR and a toslink or coax feed to the DAC, as well as an analog input from the AVR. Set the DAC/amp to cinema bypass for the analog input so the AVR controls volume for all channels including the front L and R channels. The AVR will set the distances and levels for all channels including front L and R and also give you bass management for all channels. When playing multichannel content, select the analog input for the DAC/amp and when playing stereo music select the toslink or coax input on the DAC/amp and use its volume control. With an amp like my Devialet, it's going to redigitise the analog input but the Devialet does a good job of redigitising and has a good DAC so you probably won't notice a problem and things should work pretty well. For a while I used a coax output from an Oppo 105 to my Devialet for CD playback and analog output from it for SACD playback since the Devialet doesn't have a HDMI input and you can't pass a DSD digital signal from an SACD over the toslink or coax outputs on the Oppo. SACD playback that way sounded very nice, better than the CD layer on a hybrid SACD, so the redigitising and subsequent second conversion to analog was quite transparent.

You didn't say what your DAC/amp was so I don't know how it handles analog inputs and you didn't say why you wanted to use its DAC for the front L and R channels but if it does a high quality job of redigitising your AVR's analog output for the front L and R channels and your main reason for wanting to use its DAC is for high quality stereo music playback this setup may work for you. It will do what you want for stereo music and it should work well for the front L and R channels for movie soundtracks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25952 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 06:12 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4690 Post(s)
Liked: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by petenix View Post
How do you recommend washing the discs?
See the FAQ: What do I do if a disc will not play?

-Bill
bluemoon737 likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #25953 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2318 Post(s)
Liked: 3177
Quote:
Having trouble with all three batman UHDs. Took docs to store yesterday to try on store OPPO and worked fine. Taking my OPPO back today. Thinking might be early model/too sensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
? I know your new to the thread but please don’t spread FUD. My player was a day one purchase and it’s played every disk I’ve thrown at it including all three of Nolan’s Batman disks and Dunkirk (which was exceptional by the way). I’m got over 60 4k disks that have been played on the 203 without issue ex elevated blacks for DV (come on LG), about half twice since I didn’t buy my OLED until May.

This “early batch” comment made on occasion drives me nuts since it is completely baseless (sorry). At the beginning there were issues, but nearly all of them had to do with cables and cable length (minus the features yet to be fixed or addressed via firmware like DV or the HDMI input). As for “sensitive,” the move to 4k isn’t plug and play, that’s why you’ve got this thread and the beta testers like Bob and Bill to help. There are also more than a few movies who have had issues with batches of bad disks - see Blu-ray threads and various review sites like Blu-ray.com. If you haven’t check out page 1 of this thread, great read if you’re a new owner. If you don’t need the 203’s features vs. the competition then return it and save a few bucks, but check out their threads and remember you’ve got more than a few on this thread who’ve gone from a cheaper player to the Oppo

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25954 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemartian View Post
Agreed. On closer inspection, though, I think it might have to do with the quantity of files in one particular folder. Most of my collection is saved in typical ARTIST \ ALBUM \ SONG format, but I have a few folders that contain what I consider to be "singles." The main "singles" folder has over 400 unorganized song files in it, and it is that folder only that is exhibiting the messed up cover art. Every single song file in the "singles" folder is displayed by the Oppo with the wrong cover art (except one song), yet the files themselves have the correct cover art embedded.

I suspect the quantity of the "loose" files in this folder may have flummoxed Oppo's indexing process. I'm wondering if I organize the "singles" into ARTIST \ ALBUM \ SONG if that would fix the problem?
Just wanted to post a followup to let anybody interested know that using the utility Tags-2-Folders to organize all my singles files into ARTIST \ ALBUM \ SONG format fixed the cover art issue with my Oppo. The 203 reindexed my hard drive and all cover art displays properly now. Apparently, there is a limit on how many files you can have in one folder. BTW, that Tags-2-Folders utility does a nice job!
post #25955 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Twice I've had my Oppo 203 start displaying to a grayish screen with small colored blocks. Once was soon after turning it on before inserting a disc, the second was in the middle of playing a DVD. When playing the DVD the sound was unaffected.
In both cases the only way to clear the gray screen was to power-cycle the Oppo.
The Oppo is connected to a Dennon X3400H using the cable supplied by Oppo. The Dennon is connected to an LG OLED55E7 with a blue jeans premium certified cable.

Has anyone seen this behavior before?
post #25956 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 08:15 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundakitty View Post
Twice I've had my Oppo 203 start displaying to a grayish screen with small colored blocks. Once was soon after turning it on before inserting a disc, the second was in the middle of playing a DVD. When playing the DVD the sound was unaffected.
In both cases the only way to clear the gray screen was to power-cycle the Oppo.
The Oppo is connected to a Dennon X3400H using the cable supplied by Oppo. The Dennon is connected to an LG OLED55E7 with a blue jeans premium certified cable.

Has anyone seen this behavior before?
For this sort of thing we first suspect HDMI. Try reseating all the cables at both ends. If still no good, switch them around and try new cables.

To eliminate the receiver as a factor, I would experiment with HDMI1 to the display and HDMI2 to the receiver, disconnecting the receiver from the display.

It may not be HDMI, but the fact that you get the error with DVD is suspicious: it's either cabling or flakey hardware somewhere. Could be the player; a loose internal connector or bit of fluff near the laser.

-Bill
galonzo and Madmax67 like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll

Last edited by wmcclain; 02-25-2018 at 08:23 AM.
post #25957 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post
I use Audessey reference which doesn’t correct the L/R anyway.
Hi, Audyssey 'reference' setting does correct the L/R, at least in my XT32 setup with my AVR, and I think other implementations of it as well. In my AVR and others I have had, there is a setting under the Audyssey tab that allows me to pick 'off', 'reference', 'flat', or 'L/R bypass'. Perhaps your AVR is different, but I would guess 'reference' is correcting L/R.
nathan_h and ppasteur like this.

System
Spoiler!
post #25958 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 09:02 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5839 Post(s)
Liked: 8335
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddle View Post
When i will try play some UHD disk i see at my AVR Onkyo LCD and on OPPO info Atmos sound , but when i try run MKV file with Atmos, i see just somethink like MLP.
The OPPO's Info displays will never display Atmos as "Atmos". That's because the player itself does not decode Atmos -- it passes it on in the Bitstream output to the Atmos-capable AVR which does that decoding.

When playing a disc, the menus ON THE DISC will tell you whether you have selected its Atmos track. (That may not be the disc's default audio track, so check.) The OPPO's on-screen Info will identify an Atmos track playing as Dolby TrueHD 7.1, which is what an Atmos track actually is -- along with the extra Atmos sprinkles.

When playing a file the OPPO's on-screen Info will identify the track playing as MLP, which is the underlying encoding in TrueHD.

To tell whether you are actually getting Atmos through to your AVR, you must rely on the status displays of the AVR itself, since only the AVR will be doing actual Atmos decoding.
--Bob
Dragnet, robert9674 and riddle like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 02-25-2018 at 09:06 AM.
post #25959 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4784 Post(s)
Liked: 2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Have you washed the disc?
I'm not sure how washing will help since it worked fine using the LG UHD player?

lujan
584 Ultra HD
720 HD
4 SD
post #25960 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Having trouble with all three batman UHDs. Took docs to store yesterday to try on store OPPO and worked fine. Taking my OPPO back today. Thinking might be early model/too sensitive.

I'm past return period so I guess I'll have to call Oppo?

lujan
584 Ultra HD
720 HD
4 SD
post #25961 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I'm not sure how washing will help since it worked fine using the LG UHD player?
Just a suggestion...keep in mind the LG player doesn't do SACD, DVD-A, etc....not an apples to apples test.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #25962 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Quote:
I'm past return period so I guess I'll have to call Oppo?
Are you past the return period on the discs? Try another...certainly easier and cheaper than sending the OPPO in as a first try. Up to you...
galonzo and captainbrent like this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #25963 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
I don't think the age makes any difference. I own a very early one and it's never given me any problems at all. Sure, there might be alignment problems with specific players, but I don't think it's related to the time it was manufactured.
galonzo and bluemoon737 like this.

Panasonic TX-55EZ952B OLED / Oppo UDP-203 / Onkyo TX-NR555 / B&W 600 Series + Elac A4 Atmos
post #25964 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are you past the return period on the discs? Try another...certainly easier and cheaper than sending the OPPO in as a first try. Up to you...
No, I can replace the disc since it was purchased on Amazon.

lujan
584 Ultra HD
720 HD
4 SD
post #25965 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1940 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Clarification required for Oppo hdr settings

I was just double checking some settings and have a question...I’m running the beta firmware...I have the hdr setting set to hdr off bt2020. Somehow I had the Output resolution set to custom and the custom resolution set to uhd auto...will these setting give me sdr OR hdr? The reason I ask is on the info screen where it shows lamp hours etc on my jvc, hdr was showing as on but when I hold down the info button for a long pause on the Oppo, it shows output as being sdr...

When I set output resolution to auto instead of custom with hdr setting still off bt2020, hdr does not show as on in the jvc info screen anymore...

Could someone pplease clarify 1) with hdr off bt2020 but output resolution set to custom and custom resolution set to uhd auto, am I getting sdr or hdr? As mentioned, in this config, jvc shows as hdr being on...2) if I want sdr is the correct setting hdr off bt2020 with output resolution set to auto and in this case does it matter what the custom resolution is set to? Thanks folks...

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual SVS SB3000, Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820, Triple black velvet batcave
125" 2.35 Stewart Cima Neve Tab Tensioned Electric
post #25966 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 12:13 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
I was just double checking some settings and have a question...I’m running the beta firmware...I have the hdr setting set to hdr off bt2020. Somehow I had the Output resolution set to custom and the custom resolution set to uhd auto...will these setting give me sdr OR hdr? The reason I ask is on the info screen where it shows lamp hours etc on my jvc, hdr was showing as on but when I hold down the info button for a long pause on the Oppo, it shows output as being sdr...

When I set output resolution to auto instead of custom with hdr setting still off bt2020, hdr does not show as on in the jvc info screen anymore...

Could someone pplease clarify 1) with hdr off bt2020 but output resolution set to custom and custom resolution set to uhd auto, am I getting sdr or hdr? As mentioned, in this config, jvc shows as hdr being on...2) if I want sdr is the correct setting hdr off bt2020 with output resolution set to auto and in this case does it matter what the custom resolution is set to? Thanks folks...
The Extended Info display shows what the OPPO is sending out. If it says SDR, is going out on Main HDMI then that's what you should be seeing on the JVC.

I don't know enough about your JVC to know how it decides to show what's in its own info screen.

The Video Resolution AUTO choice sends out what the Display reports as its preferred input. It may be, for example your JVC is calling 1080p its preferred input even though it can accept 4K.

The Video Resolution CUSTOM choice with Custom Resolution UHD AUTO will send out 4K unless the display says it can not accept 4K.

In your case, the settings I would expect to work best for you would be:

HDR > OFF (BT.2020), along with a choice of HDR to SDR Conversion Mode and Target Luminance value to taste
Video Resolution > CUSTOM
Custom Resolution> UHD AUTO

--Bob
galonzo and asharma like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #25967 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1940 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The Extended Info display shows what the OPPO is sending out. If it says SDR, is going out on Main HDMI then that's what you should be seeing on the JVC.

I don't know enough about your JVC to know how it decides to show what's in its own info screen.

The Video Resolution AUTO choice sends out what the Display reports as its preferred input. It may be, for example your JVC is calling 1080p its preferred input even though it can accept 4K.

The Video Resolution CUSTOM choice with Custom Resolution UHD AUTO will send out 4K unless the display says it can not accept 4K.

In your case, the settings I would expect to work best for you would be:

HDR > OFF (BT.2020), along with a choice of HDR to SDR Conversion Mode and Target Luminance value to taste
Video Resolution > CUSTOM
Custom Resolution> UHD AUTO

--Bob
Thanks Bob, with those recommended settings, if I was watching a regular non uhd blu Ray instead of a 4K uhd disc, would the player simply upscale from 1080 to 4K rec 709, even tho the hdr setting was hdr off bt2020?

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual SVS SB3000, Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820, Triple black velvet batcave
125" 2.35 Stewart Cima Neve Tab Tensioned Electric
post #25968 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 12:45 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Anything which is close to the edge of reliability (which home a/v is these days) is going to exhibit "sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't" and "it works with some combination of gear and not with others" behavior.

We don't know it is a problem with the disc but it is something that has to be tried. Sometimes it works.

-Bill
galonzo, bluemoon737 and chi_guy50 like this.

post #25969 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Anything which is close to the edge of reliability (which home a/v is these days) is going to exhibit "sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't" and "it works with some combination of gear and not with others" behavior.

We don't know it is a problem with the disc but it is something that has to be tried. Sometimes it works.

-Bill
I agree with all of that. I'd only want to add that washing a disc costs nothing except a minute or two of your time and if it works you're up and running again and you aren't missing your player for the time it takes for it to be away for checking and repair. If the problem is only happening with the occasional disc, that's a big advantage. If the problem is happening with more discs than it doesn't happen with, it's a different matter but if it's only happening with the occasional disc it's more than worth the try.

You've got nothing to lose by washing a disc and quite possibly a lot to gain. Surely that makes it worth the try.
gwsat and galonzo like this.
post #25970 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Have you washed the disc?
Quote:
Just a suggestion...keep in mind the LG player doesn't do SACD, DVD-A, etc....not an apples to apples test.
I didn't wash the disc like it's described in the FAQs but I cleaned the disc using a lint free cloth and some water and it seems to work now.
galonzo and bluemoon737 like this.

lujan
584 Ultra HD
720 HD
4 SD
post #25971 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 04:38 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
I didn't wash the disc like it's described in the FAQs but I cleaned the disc using a lint free cloth and some water and it seems to work now.
Tell everyone! Tell the world! The Truth is out there!

-Bill

Last edited by wmcclain; 02-25-2018 at 04:49 PM.
post #25972 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know why it is taking so long for the official firmware upgrade to come out? This is taking a lot longer than usual between the beta launch and official upgrade availability...
post #25973 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by jae44 View Post
Does anyone know why it is taking so long for the official firmware upgrade to come out? This is taking a lot longer than usual between the beta launch and official upgrade availability...
Hoping it’s out tomorrow, it seems like official firmware’s release on Mondays.

post #25974 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 06:08 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Thanks Bob, with those recommended settings, if I was watching a regular non uhd blu Ray instead of a 4K uhd disc, would the player simply upscale from 1080 to 4K rec 709, even tho the hdr setting was hdr off bt2020?
Yes. The player does not attempt SDR to HDR conversion. (And the HDR to SDR conversion settings are simply ignored while playing SDR content.) SDR content with the settings I listed would be output as 4K SDR BT.709.
--Bob
asharma likes this.

post #25975 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 06:11 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Anyone who knows, can't talk.

The timing varies. Often a long Beta period is followed by a new Public Beta release rather than an Official release.

The whole point of a Public Beta release after all is to get feedback from users. OPPO may be acting on that feedback.
--Bob
stevenjw and galonzo like this.

post #25976 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1256 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Anyone who knows, can't talk.

The timing varies. Often a long Beta period is followed by a new Public Beta release rather than an Official release.

The whole point of a Public Beta release after all is to get feedback from users. OPPO may be acting on that feedback.

--Bob

What does this new firmware fix/do?

Sony A1E
Triton one
post #25977 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 06:18 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9674 View Post
What does this new firmware fix/do?
See the first post in this thread.

-Bill

post #25978 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulo_d View Post
Has anyone experience trouble streaming 24bit FLAC? I have the files stored on a NAS, and I browse to the files via the OPPO's gui using the Oppo media control app on a tablet. If I click play all files, sometimes nothing happens, and other times the file appears to start then gets stuck in a loop. I can usually play each individual file, and although the queue shows all the tracks I want to play, it will stop at then end of every song and I have to manually click on the next song.

FLAC files encoded below 24bit all play perfectly. Any ideas?

Problem solved. Basically my NAS sucks, OPPO works great.
Bob Pariseau and galonzo like this.
post #25979 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Hoping for Monday with a Dolby vision Sony beta soon after

A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD
Oppo 203
Xbox One S
Denon AVR X6300W
Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Origin Acoustics Theater 68
post #25980 of 37623 Old 02-25-2018, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked: 4552
Quote:

My guess is a few things not quite ironed out for a wide public release. That and possibly working on the next beta before the next public release.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page