Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 871 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279048Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #26101 of 37041 Old 02-28-2018, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,868
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked: 2560
I just tried to play the new UHD version of Lara Croft: Tomb Raider on the Oppo 203. I tried playing about 3 times including a few times after cleaning the disc (since others mention doing this first) but the player is not going into HDR (Dolby Vision or HDR-10) mode when starting to play. When putting into the LG UHD player, the Dolby Vision flag came on right away. Could this be because of the beta firmware?

lujan
537 Ultra HD
728 HD
4 SD
lujan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #26102 of 37041 Old 02-28-2018, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,213
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6024
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I just tried to play the new UHD version of Lara Croft: Tomb Raider on the Oppo 203. I tried playing about 3 times including a few times after cleaning the disc (since others mention doing this first) but the player is not going into HDR (Dolby Vision or HDR-10) mode when starting to play. When putting into the LG UHD player, the Dolby Vision flag came on right away. Could this be because of the beta firmware?
So it plays but won't trigger HDR? Not trying to insult, but are you sure it wasn't the blu-ray that went into the Oppo. Did you power cycle and try one more time?

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K (3) / PS Vue
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #26103 of 37041 Old 02-28-2018, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluemoon737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 3,725
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I just tried to play the new UHD version of Lara Croft: Tomb Raider on the Oppo 203. I tried playing about 3 times including a few times after cleaning the disc (since others mention doing this first) but the player is not going into HDR (Dolby Vision or HDR-10) mode when starting to play. When putting into the LG UHD player, the Dolby Vision flag came on right away. Could this be because of the beta firmware?
Bob might have some other ideas but this sounds like a problem for OPPO. Does it play 4k? What does "info" show as what is the source and output. Have you tried another DV disc in the 203 to verify that the signal will in fact get through (I'm assuming you have a different signal path for the LG player)?

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
bluemoon737 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #26104 of 37041 Old 02-28-2018, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,868
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked: 2560
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
So it plays but won't trigger HDR? Not trying to insult, but are you sure it wasn't the blu-ray that went into the Oppo. Did you power cycle and try one more time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Bob might have some other ideas but this sounds like a problem for OPPO. Does it play 4k? What does "info" show as what is the source and output. Have you tried another DV disc in the 203 to verify that the signal will in fact get through (I'm assuming you have a different signal path for the LG player)?
It only plays 4k SDR and it's the 4k disc because it plays in DV on the LG UHD player. I've played other titles and they play HDR-10 and DV just fine on the Oppo 203. I guess no others have the Lara Croft 4k titles to test as well?

lujan
537 Ultra HD
728 HD
4 SD
lujan is offline  
post #26105 of 37041 Old 02-28-2018, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluemoon737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 3,725
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
It only plays 4k SDR and it's the 4k disc because it plays in DV on the LG UHD player. I've played other titles and they play HDR-10 and DV just fine on the Oppo 203. I guess no others have the Lara Croft 4k titles to test as well?
What does the long press on info show for source and output?

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
bluemoon737 is offline  
post #26106 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 12:22 AM
Newbie
 
federiko25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
OK, that's unusual. The SDR content was almost certainly created in BT.709, but the Roku has decided to convert that to BT.2020 either in the streaming it is receiving or in its output to the OPPO.

Whichever the case, the OPPO preserves the color space of the content when doing SDR output at HD Resolution. So if BT.2020 SDR is coming in, then it would be correct for the OPPO to send out BT.2020 SDR (regardless of your HDR to SDR Conversion settings in the OPPO, which simply don't apply when the content is already SDR).

EXCEPTIONS: If you are playing SD content (with Resolutions lower than 720p), the color space will be the older BT.601. When output as HD Resolution by the OPPO that gets converted to BT.709 for compatibility with HD receiving devices. Similarly, if you play HD content (with Resolutions 720p or higher), the standard color space is BT.709 (with an option for BT.2020, in the brave new world of 4K devices). But if tell the OPPO to down-scale that to SD Resolution output, the OPPO will convert that to BT.601 for compatibility with SD receiving devices.
--Bob
Thank you, Bob!

Anthem MRX 720/ Goldenears Triton 1 and Supercenter XL/ Epson 5040ub projector/ OPPO UDP-203/ Roku Premiere +
federiko25 is offline  
post #26107 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 02:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Sebring5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I just tried to play the new UHD version of Lara Croft: Tomb Raider on the Oppo 203. I tried playing about 3 times including a few times after cleaning the disc (since others mention doing this first) but the player is not going into HDR (Dolby Vision or HDR-10) mode when starting to play. When putting into the LG UHD player, the Dolby Vision flag came on right away. Could this be because of the beta firmware?
I stuck it in and it played HDR10 as advertised. No problems with the Oppo.
.
galonzo likes this.

Meridian Audio G65 Sound Processor/UHD 722 HDMI Audio Processor/M6 Active Speakers, Sony A1E 65" OLED 4k UHD, Apple TV, Sony UBP-X1100ES
Sebring5 is offline  
post #26108 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 02:40 AM
Member
 
Mustang84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Bob, can you comment on this? Thank you!

I have updated my Oppo 203 to the newest Beta. I like the new 4 HDR-->SDR conversion modes. However, when choosing the HDR Off (BT2020) mode and then displaying a 100% green pattern in DCI I still measure only a saturation green spot of 100% REC709 with my colorimeter. As the oppo 203 says that his output is in BT2020 and my projector also selects BT2020 I have to assume BT2020 is indeed transferred but actually only REC709 WITHIN that (instead of larger DCI). Would not be what I expect from that mode (larger color space should be preserved). When I choose HDR BT2020 I measure indeed 100% DCI green with my colorimeter.

btw: I tested it in movie scenes with very saturated colors shown in HDR mode. I never get the same saturation when choosing HDR Off BT2020, which would support my assumption that in fact only REC709 within BT2020 is transferred...
Mustang84 is offline  
post #26109 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 04:21 AM
.NET Solution Architect
 
SoulOfUniverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chigwell, Essex, UK
Posts: 903
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Hi guys,

Does anyone experiencing an issue with .ts video files with audio tracks with more than 8, for instance I have a Blue-Ray Remux .ts with 17 tracks, OPPO showing just first 8 out of 17. On PC it shows all 17 via MPC-HC

Video: Synology 416Play 24TB / OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)
SoulOfUniverse is offline  
post #26110 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,868
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked: 2560
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
What does the long press on info show for source and output?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring5 View Post
I stuck it in and it played HDR10 as advertised. No problems with the Oppo.
.
This is getting frustrating! This morning when I tried the same disc on the Oppo 203, the Dolby Vision flag came on just as expected. Last night it was only SDR after 3 attempts so it's not being consistent. The only thing I can imagine is that there is something with the firmware making it unstable? Is there any way to go back to the released firmware or do I have to wait until the final firmware is released?

lujan
537 Ultra HD
728 HD
4 SD
lujan is offline  
post #26111 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
galonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: most usually, somewhere in the midwest...
Posts: 2,166
Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 1755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
I've been testing every firmware since DV was enabled, and I haven't been able to get the DV version to play as HDR-10 on my non-DV HDR TV (like I can with the DV test files via USB; in fact, I have the same TV as the OP who can't zoom on Dark Tower, @timc1475 ). I popped in Dark Tower to try zoom (I usually don't use zoom), and sure enough, extended info shows BDMV HDR as input, HDR as output, but zoom not allowed. I tried my usual HDR setting of Auto, as well as the "Forced" trick; I obviously get the same input info either way, but no luck with zoom.
Zoom is also not available if you are using Source Direct output.

In addition, Zoom is one of the functions that discs can prohibit -- the PUOs or Prohibited User Operations. So if your problem is specific to a disc, it may be authored to prohibit Zoom.
--Bob
No Source Direct here, I'm always set to UHD Auto, and HDR always set to Auto (unless testing). You may be on to something with the PUOs (I can test many other DV disks to see whether this could be the case), however, my main point is that none of my DV titles have ever shown DV as the source HDR in extended info, like the LG DV demo files do; which means those that can only do HDR-10 but not DV should otherwise always get full control with DV titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang84 View Post
Bob, can you comment on this? Thank you!

I have updated my Oppo 203 to the newest Beta. I like the new 4 HDR-->SDR conversion modes. However, when choosing the HDR Off (BT2020) mode and then displaying a 100% green pattern in DCI I still measure only a saturation green spot of 100% REC709 with my colorimeter. As the oppo 203 says that his output is in BT2020 and my projector also selects BT2020 I have to assume BT2020 is indeed transferred but actually only REC709 WITHIN that (instead of larger DCI). Would not be what I expect from that mode (larger color space should be preserved). When I choose HDR BT2020 I measure indeed 100% DCI green with my colorimeter.

btw: I tested it in movie scenes with very saturated colors shown in HDR mode. I never get the same saturation when choosing HDR Off BT2020, which would support my assumption that in fact only REC709 within BT2020 is transferred...
For the current beta, I've seen when switching modes, the player will not switch "on-the-fly" according to the extended info; so for example, switching from HDR to OFF BT.2020, I'll show BT.709 until I reboot (with Standby set to Energy Efficient, so a fresh restart).

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
galonzo is online now  
post #26112 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluemoon737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 3,725
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
This is getting frustrating! This morning when I tried the same disc on the Oppo 203, the Dolby Vision flag came on just as expected. Last night it was only SDR after 3 attempts so it's not being consistent. The only thing I can imagine is that there is something with the firmware making it unstable? Is there any way to go back to the released firmware or do I have to wait until the final firmware is released?
No way to go back...IIRC that option went away after the first DV firmware release. I would check/reseat your cables...that is the only thing I can think of that would be "intermittent". I would still report it to OPPO though.
galonzo and richlife like this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
bluemoon737 is offline  
post #26113 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 08:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Mark1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
You might try M2TS; some things work that way that won't work with MKV. You lose other features like chapters.

I didn't test it but full disc BDMV backups are currently working over network. I would expect 3D to work that way. As I said earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if BDMV folder playback went away and soon as "someone" realizes people are using it.

-Bill
3D in M2TS will work on a 103/105 but not on an 203/205.
Mark

Marantz 8802A | Rotel RB 1590 / 1555 | Bowers Wilkins 804D3 / HTM2D3 / DB3D / 703S2 / 706S2 | Oppo 205 | Bluesound NODE 2i | LG OLED65E8 | Denon AH-D7100 | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV4K | Cable box 4K | Darbee Darblet
(Denon 4520 | LG OLED55E6 | B&W 703 / 705 / HTM7 / ASW700 | Oppo 203 / HA-2SE | Apple TV | Chromecast Ultra / Audio | Denon AH-D2000)
Mark1000 is offline  
post #26114 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
atabea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,650
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang84 View Post
Bob, can you comment on this? Thank you!

I have updated my Oppo 203 to the newest Beta. I like the new 4 HDR-->SDR conversion modes. However, when choosing the HDR Off (BT2020) mode and then displaying a 100% green pattern in DCI I still measure only a saturation green spot of 100% REC709 with my colorimeter. As the oppo 203 says that his output is in BT2020 and my projector also selects BT2020 I have to assume BT2020 is indeed transferred but actually only REC709 WITHIN that (instead of larger DCI). Would not be what I expect from that mode (larger color space should be preserved). When I choose HDR BT2020 I measure indeed 100% DCI green with my colorimeter.

btw: I tested it in movie scenes with very saturated colors shown in HDR mode. I never get the same saturation when choosing HDR Off BT2020, which would support my assumption that in fact only REC709 within BT2020 is transferred...
Mustang, this would be a great question to pose directly to OPPO. Would be interesting to get their take on it.
Tom Bley likes this.
atabea is online now  
post #26115 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 2,922
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2301 Post(s)
Liked: 2139
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
No Source Direct here, I'm always set to UHD Auto, and HDR always set to Auto (unless testing). You may be on to something with the PUOs (I can test many other DV disks to see whether this could be the case), however, my main point is that none of my DV titles have ever shown DV as the source HDR in extended info, like the LG DV demo files do; which means those that can only do HDR-10 but not DV should otherwise always get full control with DV titles.


For the current beta, I've seen when switching modes, the player will not switch "on-the-fly" according to the extended info; so for example, switching from HDR to OFF BT.2020, I'll show BT.709 until I reboot (with Standby set to Energy Efficient, so a fresh restart).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Zoom is also not available if you are using Source Direct output.

In addition, Zoom is one of the functions that discs can prohibit -- the PUOs or Prohibited User Operations. So if your problem is specific to a disc, it may be authored to prohibit Zoom.
--Bob
I suspect Dolby Vision discs may be authored to prohibit zoom. And the Oppo is enforcing this prohibition even when it outputs HDR10 to a non-DV capable display. I tested with the Atomic Blonde disc to my HDR10 capable JVC RS500.
galonzo and bluemoon737 like this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
claw is online now  
post #26116 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 10:44 AM
Senior Member
 
AmigoHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Oppo 203 & Epson LS10k User (maybe other non HDR but wider color gamut projectors): caution!

at the moment it seems that the LS10k AND the Oppo can't be combined for external devices on it's HDMI IN when you need to input HDR, i.e to benefit from oppos HDR to SDR tone mapping, as the external devices only sends REC709 SDR, no wider color gamut and no HDR. There is an UHD HDR option in the HDMI IN settings, but it does not help.

Epson EH-LS10000, madVR on GTX 1080, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-EU93, Toshiba HD E1, Dreambox 900 ultraHD, Xodiac masked, AT, 3m scope (2.40:1), Marantz SR7011
3x Klipsch PRO-7800-L-THX, 6x Klipsch PRO-7800-S-THX (Dolby Atmos setup, 5.2.4)
2x Velodyne SC-600IW, Velodyne SC-602
Middle Atlantic Rack, RTI XP-6 control processor, RTI T2x remote, LUTRON Graphics Eye QS
AmigoHD is offline  
post #26117 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,868
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked: 2560
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
No way to go back...IIRC that option went away after the first DV firmware release. I would check/reseat your cables...that is the only thing I can think of that would be "intermittent". I would still report it to OPPO though.
Thanks, yes I'll call Oppo this afternoon to see if they have any recommendations.

lujan
537 Ultra HD
728 HD
4 SD
lujan is offline  
post #26118 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,491
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2956 Post(s)
Liked: 1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
I have a 2.35 screen...if I’m watching a 2.35 movie in jvc 16:9 mode (ie. the movie is not filling the 2.35 screen, the 2.35 movie is more or less centered in the middle of the screen with bars on top bottom left and right) will the zoom function on the Oppo then stretch that 2.35 movie to fill the screen?
No. To fill the screen, you have to zoom the lens. Now a 2.35 movie fills your screen.

Then when you go to a 16:9 movie, or the typical disc menus, they will spill above/below the screen. Just push the Zoom button on the remote (2 clicks) and now you'll see the whole image scaled down to fit in pillar box fashion.

The 203 seems to be smart enough to load a disc with the 1.78 menus properly presented, so when the 2.35 movie starts, one click of the zoom control fills the screen. So convenient.
asharma and Buckeye Dave like this.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win7 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #26119 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 12:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoHD View Post
Loading UHD .mkv over network is terrible. The loading sign is spinning almost 45 seconds at 25% on every MKV I play over network.
Bigger .M2TS files do load and play instantly. Anyone with the same problem?


No problem here - I stream via WIFI to the OPPO. But it is only about 2 meter from my access point.
Erwin2017 is offline  
post #26120 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 12:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Norway
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
No. To fill the screen, you have to zoom the lens. Now a 2.35 movie fills your screen.

Then when you go to a 16:9 movie, or the typical disc menus, they will spill above/below the screen. Just push the Zoom button on the remote (2 clicks) and now you'll see the whole image scaled down to fit in pillar box fashion.

The 203 seems to be smart enough to load a disc with the 1.78 menus properly presented, so when the 2.35 movie starts, one click of the zoom control fills the screen. So convenient.
And does the Oppo have subtitle shift too? I need subtitles, but how's that gonna work with the lens zoom function (for filling 2.35 screen)?
Nordvarg is offline  
post #26121 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 12:22 PM
Senior Member
 
AmigoHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin2017 View Post
No problem here - I stream via WIFI to the OPPO. But it is only about 2 meter from my access point.
I have a wired gbit connection. No problem with M2TS at all, load instantly. But some MKV loads very slowly.

Epson EH-LS10000, madVR on GTX 1080, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-EU93, Toshiba HD E1, Dreambox 900 ultraHD, Xodiac masked, AT, 3m scope (2.40:1), Marantz SR7011
3x Klipsch PRO-7800-L-THX, 6x Klipsch PRO-7800-S-THX (Dolby Atmos setup, 5.2.4)
2x Velodyne SC-600IW, Velodyne SC-602
Middle Atlantic Rack, RTI XP-6 control processor, RTI T2x remote, LUTRON Graphics Eye QS
AmigoHD is offline  
post #26122 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,224
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1803 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
No. To fill the screen, you have to zoom the lens. Now a 2.35 movie fills your screen.

Then when you go to a 16:9 movie, or the typical disc menus, they will spill above/below the screen. Just push the Zoom button on the remote (2 clicks) and now you'll see the whole image scaled down to fit in pillar box fashion.

The 203 seems to be smart enough to load a disc with the 1.78 menus properly presented, so when the 2.35 movie starts, one click of the zoom control fills the screen. So convenient.
Thanks, I understand the first paragraph (2 clicks part) , but I don’t understand the last paragraph...could u please elaborate...thanks...

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820, triple black velvet batcave
Screen:120” 2.35 Elunevision Tab tensioned motorized drop down screen;
asharma is online now  
post #26123 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,491
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2956 Post(s)
Liked: 1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordvarg View Post
And does the Oppo have subtitle shift too? I need subtitles, but how's that gonna work with the lens zoom function (for filling 2.35 screen)?
Yes, it has adjustable subtitle shift, and also shift for the "info" display. Works perfectly here on my 2.35 screen.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win7 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #26124 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,224
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1803 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoHD View Post
Oppo 203 & Epson LS10k User (maybe other non HDR but wider color gamut projectors): caution!

at the moment it seems that the LS10k AND the Oppo can't be combined for external devices on it's HDMI IN when you need to input HDR, i.e to benefit from oppos HDR to SDR tone mapping, as the external devices only sends REC709 SDR, no wider color gamut and no HDR. There is an UHD HDR option in the HDMI IN settings, but it does not help.
It would be interesting to know if u had an hdfury product in the chain that told the Oppo your pj did hdr, if the shield would then output hdr bt2020

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820, triple black velvet batcave
Screen:120” 2.35 Elunevision Tab tensioned motorized drop down screen;
asharma is online now  
post #26125 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,491
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2956 Post(s)
Liked: 1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Thanks, I understand the first paragraph (2 clicks part) , but I don’t understand the last paragraph...could u please elaborate...thanks...
Any typical BD movie lands on the menu screen when first loaded to the player. The Oppo appears to default to the zoom setting that best shows the 1.78 menu (fills screen height, not width). Then once you start the 2.35 movie, you just push the Zoom button and bam it fills the full width/height of the 2.35 screen with 2.35 image.

If you remove that disc and play another, it reverts to proper "menu" zoom setting, no need to manually change the Zoom.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win7 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #26126 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 12:50 PM
Senior Member
 
AmigoHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
It would be interesting to know if u had an hdfury product in the chain that told the Oppo your pj did hdr, if the shield would then output hdr bt2020
at the moment the only way to get bt2020/hdr is to put a hdfury product in the chain, right. but between the streaming device & the oppo.
the problem's that those devices can't be forced to put out HDR. i.e the oppo can be forced to output HDR even if the display is not hdr capable.

Epson EH-LS10000, madVR on GTX 1080, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-EU93, Toshiba HD E1, Dreambox 900 ultraHD, Xodiac masked, AT, 3m scope (2.40:1), Marantz SR7011
3x Klipsch PRO-7800-L-THX, 6x Klipsch PRO-7800-S-THX (Dolby Atmos setup, 5.2.4)
2x Velodyne SC-600IW, Velodyne SC-602
Middle Atlantic Rack, RTI XP-6 control processor, RTI T2x remote, LUTRON Graphics Eye QS
AmigoHD is offline  
post #26127 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,224
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1803 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Any typical BD movie lands on the menu screen when first loaded to the player. The Oppo appears to default to the zoom setting that best shows the 1.78 menu (fills screen height, not width). Then once you start the 2.35 movie, you just push the Zoom button and bam it fills the full width/height of the 2.35 screen with 2.35 image.
Thank you, to clarify, that process works, assuming the pj is already in 2.35 zoom mode?

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820, triple black velvet batcave
Screen:120” 2.35 Elunevision Tab tensioned motorized drop down screen;
asharma is online now  
post #26128 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,491
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2956 Post(s)
Liked: 1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Thank you, to clarify, that process works, assuming the pj is already in 2.35 zoom mode?
Yes. Just the same PJ setting as if you were watching 2.35 movies before. All that's new with the 203 is that is conveniently shrinks the menu (or other disc supplements) so it fits the screen without fiddling with the PJ.
nathan_h, asharma and Buckeye Dave like this.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win7 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #26129 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 01:44 PM
Senior Member
 
jetsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang84 View Post
Bob, can you comment on this? Thank you!

I have updated my Oppo 203 to the newest Beta. I like the new 4 HDR-->SDR conversion modes. However, when choosing the HDR Off (BT2020) mode and then displaying a 100% green pattern in DCI I still measure only a saturation green spot of 100% REC709 with my colorimeter. As the oppo 203 says that his output is in BT2020 and my projector also selects BT2020 I have to assume BT2020 is indeed transferred but actually only REC709 WITHIN that (instead of larger DCI). Would not be what I expect from that mode (larger color space should be preserved). When I choose HDR BT2020 I measure indeed 100% DCI green with my colorimeter.

btw: I tested it in movie scenes with very saturated colors shown in HDR mode. I never get the same saturation when choosing HDR Off BT2020, which would support my assumption that in fact only REC709 within BT2020 is transferred...
That seems very strange, I just got my Oppo back in the demo room because I had to loan it to a client. I will definitely look into this tomorrow and do some measurements on the conversion with BT2020. I just did the upgrade to the beta before i borrowed it to my client so did not have the time to do the test before.
If what you say is correct then it would be useless to make the conversion because holding on to the BT2020 color space without HDR is what the Beta firmware was designed for in the first place.
Would seem strange that they did not do the effort to check this before releasing it, but anything can happen so lets do some measuring.

Did anyone else besides you made these measurements by any chance?
jetsen is offline  
post #26130 of 37041 Old 03-01-2018, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
jbrinegar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 617
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsen View Post
That seems very strange, I just got my Oppo back in the demo room because I had to loan it to a client. I will definitely look into this tomorrow and do some measurements on the conversion with BT2020. I just did the upgrade to the beta before i borrowed it to my client so did not have the time to do the test before.
If what you say is correct then it would be useless to make the conversion because holding on to the BT2020 color space without HDR is what the Beta firmware was designed for in the first place.
Would seem strange that they did not do the effort to check this before releasing it, but anything can happen so lets do some measuring.

Did anyone else besides you made these measurements by any chance?
I just had my setup calibrated, and one of the modes he calibrated for me was the oppo HDR off bt2020 tone mapping. He didn't say anything about it not outputting bt2020, so Im hopeful its working as its supposed to.

JVC RS2000
Anthem mrx1120//Lumagen Radiance Pro
Klipsch Ref series 7.2.4 setup
Oppo 203 //Xbox one X // Apple 4k TV
Stewart Filmscreen 135" Cima Neve
jbrinegar is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off