Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 879 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 278813Likes

post #26341 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 08:17 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5780 Post(s)
Liked: 8252
^ I'm not familiar enough with your Panasonic to offer further advice. It would be best to check in the owner's thread here for you model of Panny to see if the other users have suggestions.
--Bob
galonzo and noventa98 like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26342 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I tried the BT/2020 standard in mode 3, 400 nits in my JVC X950, and noticed the colors are very dessaturated. I used the discs Warcraft an Peter Pan. But something may be wrong, cause I chose gama 2.4 and got the iris down to -15. Even so. In my pretty dark projection room, even the blacks were not the ones JVC is able to produce. I'll have my calibrator to see the pj next week. I'm a noob, but got frustrated reading too many favorable reports of the BT 2020 standard in the beta version discussion.
post #26343 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Any suggestions for my future projector to match the Oppo 203? I watch mostly DVDs and many of these are B&W. I prefer to avoid DLP (have some issues with that). Budget between 1000 and 2000 $ .
Thanks!
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26344 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
I had an issue with Roku Ultra after update. Unplugged replugged did factory reset all is well.
Just to clarify, did you factory reset your Roku or your Oppo?
post #26345 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
If you've not already done so, do a Reset Factory Defaults in the OPPO. You can speed this up by saving your settings to a USB stick for restore after the Reset. See Setup > Device Setup > Settings Management.

Then check your setting in Setup > Device Setup for the HDMI Input to make sure it matches what your Shield is putting out.
--Bob
Thanks! Will give this a try.
post #26346 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 183
After reading this thread last few days, I thought I would chime in with my two cents. I have a JVC unit and I am one of those who jumped on the Oppo couple of weeks ago to replace my Sony player. The main reason - the reports that started circulating in these forums about the new tone mapping feature in the beta firmware that is almost as good as messing around with custom curves. All I heard were glowing testimonials and after watching a few movies I was impressed too. Granted, I never did an A/B comparison with either the stock JVC HDR setting or custom curves, so I guess ignorance is bliss. Now I am reading that the tone mapping is not truly preserving the color space, which kind of defeats the purpose. I just got back in town and will see today how the colors compare to the JVC stock HDR mode at least.

I am surprised no one has officially contacted Oppo about this, but if they confirm this behavior (embedding REC709 color space in a 2020 container) then it is certainly misleading information on their part, and they should be taken to task for it.
galonzo likes this.
post #26347 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
In both players, make sure you have the up to date Official firmware release (compare against the version number shown on OPPO's support page for the player), and do a Reset Factory Defaults on the player. You can save your Settings to a USB stick for restore after that Reset to speed things up.

For the app for your 203, new Official firmware was pushed out yesterday in the US. I haven't checked yet to see if it is available in the EU this morning. The new iOS app may need to be paired with that new firmware for best results.

---------------------------

ETA: There was a bug in prior firmware where the Settings page would not load in the app if you used a special character in your Player Name setting (Setup > Network Setup). That bug has been fixed for some time, but it occurs to me that you may be using European characters in your Player Name, and may have found a variant of this bug. Just something to check.
--Bob
Great! I am on current firmware, beta for 203 in Europe still, I have regular default names, I did so many Factory Resets while updating firmware I was almost unwilling, but like "first try cleaning the disk" I did it all again, reconnected through Tray open and Stop button... and it worked. The only thing is that connection to the Settings page fails again when both apps (for 10x and 20x) are running simultaneously, maybe even on different devices. So thank you, Mr. Bob, for your authority that made me do this.

Will there be an update to the 105 app, that will ease listening to Tidal without too many hickups, and an cleaner interface with better use of the screen, as far as you know?

Mark

Marantz 8802A | Rotel RB 1590 / 1555 | Bowers Wilkins 804D3 / HTM2D3 / DB3D / 703S2 / 706S2 | Oppo 205 | Bluesound NODE 2i | LG OLED65E8 | Denon AH-D7100 | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV4K | Cable box 4K | Darbee Darblet
(Denon 4520 | LG OLED55E6 | B&W 703 / 705 / HTM7 / ASW700 | Oppo 203 / HA-2SE | Apple TV | Chromecast Ultra / Audio | Denon AH-D2000)
post #26348 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsen View Post
You are totally misunderstanding the issue, nobody is saying that the Oppo is not putting out P3 wit a UHD movie, and the problem is not UHD comparing versus a Blu Ray.
It is comparing the UHDBlu ray versus the same UHD blu ray but with the conversion from HDR to SDR, that is a totally different thing.
Clearly I’m misunderstanding too...if u r suggesting hdr off bt2020 is outputting rec709, why isn’t comparing a BD (rec 709) a good test? Just trying to better understand, thanks

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820
Triple black velvet bat cave
post #26349 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Quote:
You are totally misunderstanding the issue, nobody is saying that the Oppo is not putting out P3 wit a UHD movie, and the problem is not UHD comparing versus a Blu Ray.
It is comparing the UHDBlu ray versus the same UHD blu ray but with the conversion from HDR to SDR, that is a totally different thing.
I don't watch the Oppo using anything but HDR Off BT.2020 for UHD. I no longer have or use a Vertex and curves. In order to use and compare to HDR On, you need to do the tone mapping in the JVC. Curves have been all over the map really and it really wasn't until the Oppo Beta that they got better, brighter for NIT starved setups. All of my viewing using the Oppo is UHD with tone mapping or BDs using BT.709. So how am I misunderstanding anything? If the Oppo is putting out BT.709 color with tone mapping, why do BDs not look as colorful?

Are you or aren't you "saying that the Oppo is not putting out P3 with a UHD movie" using tone mapping? I think you are. All I'm saying is that my lying eyes are seeing a great picture and if there's no WCG, why does it look better than BD? That can't all be HDR highlights. And if it was so bad, why did nearly everyone, especially those without excess NITs to spare, rave about it? Was it just brighter, but not more colorful? Is there no increased color at all or just less than full P3?

I'm not disputing what your tests patterns are showing and thank you for stating that it's not just patterns (still not sure how you measure that). Like everyone, I'd like to hear what Oppo has to say about this. You're the calibrator, you're the one with the "evidence", you're the one that needs to contact them directly and report back. Thank you in advance for doing so.

EDIT: Hum, maybe I didn't misunderstand anything in the first place.
sonichart and atabea like this.

...Steve
"Opinions are like orgasms… mine matters most and I really don’t care if you have one or not." ;)

My HT gear

Last edited by stevenjw; 03-05-2018 at 12:10 PM.
post #26350 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
Just to clarify, did you factory reset your Roku or your Oppo?
Oppo
post #26351 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantage78 View Post
Glad to see the official release available. Has anyone been able to confirm if OPPO fixes the Mode 3 issues with the tone mapping? Ie change to bright scenes with Mode 3 produces flickering.
Tested mode 3 yesterday against bright scenes where there I’ve noticed clipping. The flickering is still there, but it’s been reduced. Blink and you may miss it, but it’s defintiely there. I’ve also noticed that there is barely a difference between 300 nits and 250 nits in Mode 3 to account for white clipping

Update from Oppo support:

“This firmware was not designed to fix any of the HDR to SDR conversion settings, so anything you may have seen with Mode 3 will exist in the current Official firmware.

The engineers are still investigating the report but they have not enabled any firmware that corrects or nor have they reported to us if this is just an expected artifact that can't be addressed based on the way Mode 3 works.”
galonzo likes this.

Last edited by vantage78; 03-05-2018 at 05:26 PM.
post #26352 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 10:25 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5780 Post(s)
Liked: 8252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1000 View Post
Great! I am on current firmware, beta for 203 in Europe still, I have regular default names, I did so many Factory Resets while updating firmware I was almost unwilling, but like "first try cleaning the disk" I did it all again, reconnected through Tray open and Stop button... and it worked. The only thing is that connection to the Settings page fails again when both apps (for 10x and 20x) are running simultaneously, maybe even on different devices. So thank you, Mr. Bob, for your authority that made me do this.

Will there be an update to the 105 app, that will ease listening to Tidal without too many hickups, and an cleaner interface with better use of the screen, as far as you know?

Mark
You should email OPPO about your issue with the 10x app and Tidal. You can use the Email Us link on their Support page for the player (OPPO Digital web site here in the US). The issue may be with code from Tidal, and I don't know if that's impacted by your location.

While you are at it, you should mention what you found when you try to run the 20x and 10x apps at the same time.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #26353 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
This new firmware update really hosed up my system. I'm kicking myself for taking it without reading/waiting.

Things got a little better today, compared to yesterday, after I unplugged it from the wall and waited a minute or two before plugging it back in this morning. But I'm still having problems with the HDMI input for my Shield (handshake, AV sync, etc) that I was not having prior to the update...
@psuKinge are you having issues when switching certain settings/Input on the Oppo as far as handshake? I don't know if I'm not waiting long enough at times, but sometimes after changing a setting, there will be a black screen for 20-30 seconds, which seems excessive. Turning off the Oppo and then back on fixes it, but a bit annoying. I'm using a JVC-RS420 and also a Shield/Xbox One X.
post #26354 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Did some measuring as follows,

1)BT2020 pattern from the sony disc measured in a BT2020 color gamut
2)The same BT2020 pattern from the Sony disc in the same BT2020 color gamut ,but now with the SDR/BT2020 function on.
Looks similar to what I was getting, except I was using the full-on BT.2020 patterns from R. Masciola's Disk

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #26355 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Quoted: 3647 Post(s)
Liked: 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1000 View Post

Mark
Quote:
You should email OPPO about your issue with the 10x app and Tidal. You can use the Email Us link on their Support page for the player (OPPO Digital web site here in the US). The issue may be with code from Tidal, and I don't know if that's impacted by your location.

While you are at it, you should mention what you found when you try to run the 20x and 10x apps at the same time.
--Bob
I did email Oppo tech support like 8 months ago about the issues with TIDAL crashing every 10 mins on my 105D and they said that there won't be any more updates on the 10x series app and no more support for TIDAL app so I decided to get a Bluesound Node 2 for streaming TIDAL and sold my 105D. The last update for the 10x MediaControl app was back in 2015 and was optimized for iOS 9.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #26356 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idyfohu View Post
@psuKinge are you having issues when switching certain settings/Input on the Oppo as far as handshake? I don't know if I'm not waiting long enough at times, but sometimes after changing a setting, there will be a black screen for 20-30 seconds, which seems excessive. Turning off the Oppo and then back on fixes it, but a bit annoying. I'm using a JVC-RS420 and also a Shield/Xbox One X.
I was having what I thought was a handshake issue (black screen that I couldn't recover from without power cycling either my shield or the oppo or both; sometimes a full up-off-the-couch-and-unplug was required). In the limited amount of time I've had since I followed Bob's suggestion to factory reset, I'm not/haven't been seeing that behaviour.

My current #1 problem is that I'm having a big A/V sync issue when streaming lossless audio (TrueHD/HD-MA) through my Shield via Plex.
There's no A/V sync issue when I stream dolby digital via Plex on my Shield.
And there's no A/V sync issue when I use Kodi to stream the same files/lossless audio with the same Shield.

Very odd. I hadn't noticed this problem until just now, after having just taken this firmware update. It's hard for me to understand what could be causing it, and I'm certainly not convinced it's a problem with the oppo/firmware... the only thing I can say is that the timing aligns with when I took the update, but it could just be a coincidence.

On a positive note, my Shield has always had a terrible problem with SDR-->HDR conversion, and I've been manually changing the Shield output settings (not ideal), and it *appears* like this firmware update has (drastically?) improved SDR PQ while my Shield is outputting 10-bit 4:2:0 REC.2020... which is incredible, if I'm actually seeing what I think I'm seeing....

Last edited by psuKinger; 03-04-2018 at 11:24 AM.
post #26357 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

--Bob
Of course I will. But the remark made by enricoclaudio is not very promising...

Marantz 8802A | Rotel RB 1590 / 1555 | Bowers Wilkins 804D3 / HTM2D3 / DB3D / 703S2 / 706S2 | Oppo 205 | Bluesound NODE 2i | LG OLED65E8 | Denon AH-D7100 | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV4K | Cable box 4K | Darbee Darblet
(Denon 4520 | LG OLED55E6 | B&W 703 / 705 / HTM7 / ASW700 | Oppo 203 / HA-2SE | Apple TV | Chromecast Ultra / Audio | Denon AH-D2000)
post #26358 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Santos Filho View Post
I tried the BT/2020 standard in mode 3, 400 nits in my JVC X950, and noticed the colors are very dessaturated. I used the discs Warcraft an Peter Pan. But something may be wrong, cause I chose gama 2.4 and got the iris down to -15. Even so. In my pretty dark projection room, even the blacks were not the ones JVC is able to produce. I'll have my calibrator to see the pj next week. I'm a noob, but got frustrated reading too many favorable reports of the BT 2020 standard in the beta version discussion.
I have a Sony VPL-VW350ES (using low lamp mode for non-3D discs), which is a native 4K projector, but no HDR and fixed iris. I am also noticing desaturated colors using HDR off - BT/2020 n the HDR-SDR conversion.

Leaving HDR on auto, the colors came back in full force, so then the key was which HDR-SDR mode to use and if the default 300 nits would work as it had before. Unfortunately, I don't have a calibration disc, but I have several go-to UHD releases that I use to check levels and color. Mode 3 seemed to work best. However, while checking out King Kong 2005 something odd came up: during the early daytime NYC scenes, the sky would pop back and forth between fully saturated clouds with orange color and a washed out, blown out appearance *in the same shot*. I thought this was an encoding error on the disc as it was repeatable, but after toggling the nits, it became clear that the anomaly only happened at 300 nits - lower nits, and the sky blew out completely. 400 nits and the popping back and forth stopped but sky was less saturated with less color. The sweet spot: Auto HDR, 500 nits and mode 3 seems to be the best setting for my set-up at this time.

Appreciate reading other thoughts on this, thanks to all
post #26359 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 2061
Quote:
Because I think Woofer is using a custom curve, when using the Oppo tone mapping you have to use a standard SDR 2.4 curve because the Oppo maps the HDR PQ into an SDR gamma.

So if you do the test you can't use custom HDR gamma curves, that would be wrong.
@Jetson

I used 2 different profiles on my Z1/RS4500

One set up for HDR BT2020 and the Custom curve ...HDR enabled on the Oppo.

The second profile..... Set up with BT2020 with gamma at 2.4 .....Oppo set for HDR "Off" SDR/BT2020

Trust me, it was a pain in the ass switching between all thee settings to take all the screen shots!
post #26360 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Talking 'Aromic Blonde'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000 View Post
Having issues getting HDR to activate after that firmware update yesterday. Connected to Anthem AVM60 then output to HDMI 3 on my Sony A1E. Enhanced is enabled on the TV. Never had an issue before. Now nothing will play. Aromic Blonde says warning about not displaying 4K? Any suggestions. Already did a factory teset on the 203. No avail. Urggg.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'Aromic Blonde' is a sequel where Charlize Theron starts an Indian curry restaurant as a cover for operations.
RickD_99, stevenjw, woofer and 3 others like this.
post #26361 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 2061
@Jetson @Javs

Can you suggest a particular film/scene that you know has a noticeable increase in colour gamut ( BT2020 ) to test ?
post #26362 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Did a Simple Test

Not having meters or any other instruments (nor the expertise), I decided to do a simple eyeball test. Put in the UHD disc of X-men Apocalypse and watched a few scenes - with Oppo at Off BT2020 and then at Auto, switching back and forth a couple of times. All I can compare to is the default HDR mode the JVC switched into, which I had at identical lamp and other settings (I do have picture tone up a bit but that's it). Overall, I thought I liked the SDR BT2020 presentation better but the telling point is a scene where this girl is shooting an arrow at a target that has blue, yellow and red circles on it. The difference was obvious even to the untrained eye, including my kids - when in default HDR mode the colors "popped", particularly the red. Switching to SDR BT2020, it was clearly muted. I reset picture tone on the HDR gamma to 0 and while the "pop" subsided we could clearly see a difference in color.

This is a totally unscientific observation, but makes me think you guys might be on to something with the color gamut. Again, only measurements count as evidence, and this is just anecdotal.
galonzo and ntxoa like this.
post #26363 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
But I'm still having problems with the HDMI input for my Shield (handshake, AV sync, etc) that I was not having prior to the update...
Quote:
Originally Posted by idyfohu View Post
Quote:
I was having what I thought was a handshake issue (black screen that I couldn't recover from without power cycling either my shield or the oppo or both; sometimes a full up-off-the-couch-and-unplug was required). In the limited amount of time I've had since I followed Bob's suggestion to factory reset, I'm not/haven't been seeing that behaviour.

My current #1 problem is that I'm having a big A/V sync issue when streaming lossless audio (TrueHD/HD-MA) through my Shield via Plex.
There's no A/V sync issue when I stream dolby digital via Plex on my Shield.
And there's no A/V sync issue when I use Kodi to stream the same files/lossless audio with the same Shield.

[...]

On a positive note, my Shield has always had a terrible problem with SDR-->HDR conversion, and I've been manually changing the Shield output settings (not ideal), and it *appears* like this firmware update has (drastically?) improved SDR PQ while my Shield is outputting 10-bit 4:2:0 REC.2020... which is incredible, if I'm actually seeing what I think I'm seeing....
I have handshake issues even on the previous production firmware. Power cycling Oppo, Shield, and/or PC restores AV. I found that switching from HDMI IN to Blue-ray Player, waiting for the Home menu, then switching back to HDMI IN also restores AV. Occasionally, this method doesn’t work because the Oppo won’t go to the Home menu. Then I have to power cycle the Oppo.

I’m using all brand new 2m Monoprice certified cables.

With the new firmware:

If you have your Shields on HDMI IN, is the Oppo able to receive DD+ Atmos from Vudu, and pass bitstream for output?

When streaming TrueHD through the Shield, does the Oppo receive MLP and send bitstream?

Is Atmos over TrueHD working for HDMI IN?

After playing HDR content, does the display switch back to show SDR content correctly?

Thanks for your help.

Nvidia Shield - Zidoo X9S - HTPC/MPC-HC
Oppo 203 - Samsung HW-N950 - 7.2.4
LG 86UH9500
post #26364 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This Saturday I am getting my oppo 203. I will be connecting it to JVC 9900 projector via Denon 6400 receiver. I have couple of UHD ripped iso varying in sizes from 60 GB to 90 GB in WD 8 TB external disk.
What is the best way to playback these ripped iso files from 8 TB external disc from oppo 203 player ? Please advise.
post #26365 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 01:59 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4539 Post(s)
Liked: 4368
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulkven View Post
This Saturday I am getting my oppo 203. I will be connecting it to JVC 9900 projector via Denon 6400 receiver. I have couple of UHD ripped iso varying in sizes from 60 GB to 90 GB in WD 8 TB external disk.
What is the best way to playback these ripped iso files from 8 TB external disc from oppo 203 player ? Please advise.
You can't play the ISOs directly.

If you have a media player that will do that you can try routing it throught OPPO's HDMI input.

You could put your ISO files on a computer, mount them loopback to reveal the BDMV contents and try to play that over SMB or NFS. Or copy the BDMV to temporary local storage.

It would be easier to play the original discs. If you don't have the originals then you are talking about piracy, discussion of which is not allowed at AVSForum.

-Bill
galonzo and Madmax67 like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #26366 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quick question about settings. I have had oppo for a day. When I play a HDR 10 disc I will see rec 2020 on my LG info in the top left. When I play a DV disc it does not show rec 2020 but indicates DV.

Is this correct or should I be seeing rec 2020 with a DV disc? The opportunity does not allow me to make HDR adjustments when in DV mode.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Family Room
LG OLED65C6P, Denon AVRX2400H, Oppo 203, XBOX One S

Bedroom
TCL 55R615, Samsung UBD-K8500
post #26367 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 329
I am going to try to use the 203 to read 4K streams from Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and Directv, and output the stream on my 1080P projector. The concept is what I call FIFO. Finest In, Finest Out. I theorize that a high quality video from one of these sources will look better on my projector than a 1080 signal going to it. The trick, which has been pointed out in another thread is that the Oppo must make the sender think it is a 4K device. It needs to send an EDID signal back to Netflix for instance saying I am 4K. Otherwise Netflix switches to 1080P. Has anyone here tried this? Is my theory correct in your eyes? I noticed in the March 2nd release notes that point #4 said " Added a detailed info page for the HDMI In source". Is this the vehicle for knowing that Netflix did not switch the resolution?

Jack
post #26368 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 539
I was having the same issues @psuKinger was having. I performed a factory reset of my 203, but that did not fix the problem.

What fixed my issue was going back to a single HDMI connection for both audio and video. I can now play my 4k Rips using the Nvidia Shield, without the TV going black, and eventually resetting itself. My Oppo is using the current Firmware, and my Shield/Oppo combo worked fine while it was on the previous beta firmware.

I will address this with Oppo Tech Support.
galonzo and psuKinger like this.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #26369 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 02:10 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4539 Post(s)
Liked: 4368
Quote:
Originally Posted by korsjs View Post
Quick question about settings. I have had oppo for a day. When I play a HDR 10 disc I will see rec 2020 on my LG info in the top left. When I play a DV disc it does not show rec 2020 but indicates DV.

Is this correct or should I be seeing rec 2020 with a DV disc? The opportunity does not allow me to make HDR adjustments when in DV mode.
That is correct. It is how the LG info display works. DV implies rec 2020 anyway.

Many player adjustments are locked out when playing DV UHD, per Dolby's requirements. We hope that will be loosened up some day.

-Bill
korsjs and galonzo like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #26370 of 36734 Old 03-04-2018, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntxoa View Post
With the new firmware:

If you have your Shields on HDMI IN, is the Oppo able to receive DD+ Atmos from Vudu, and pass bitstream for output?
I don't really use/do Vudu much, but I did check it for you, and I'm definitely getting DD+ on Vudu. I don't do "atmos". I don't have any equipment for it, so I can't check it.

Quote:
When streaming TrueHD through the Shield, does the Oppo receive MLP and send bitstream?
I'm not sure if I was just ignorant of this setting all along, but there's a setting in "video processing" that I found while troubleshooting another issue I'm having with TrueHD (that I believe might be related to this firmware update), that allows me to either bitstream trueHD or to have the oppor report that it's receiving MLP and then passing along LPCM. Neither of them fixed my AV lipsync issues that have to do with TrueHD playback within the Plex app on nvidia shield.

Quote:
After playing HDR content, does the display switch back to show SDR content correctly?
I'm not prepared to say with absolute certainty yet, but at first glance it does appear to be, at the very least, a "major improvement" in terms of setting my sheild to 4K HDR output and then not having color space issues with watching SDR content... which is a big benefit, IMO, and the OPPO just really *adding value* to my setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page