Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 88 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279057Likes

post #2611 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I wonder if OPPO will add a 4K60i option to resolution? From the site below, my tv, the E6 can do 24 to 60i without judder. I guess i could set the OPPO to 1080i60 for blu ray and let the tv upscale to 4K.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/24p
There are no interlaced formats above 1080i. Interlaced was a stupid idea in the 1930's to double the framerate on CRTs, and has haunted us ever since. It has no place in modern times and needs to die!

(Secondary rant: But not like what Comcast is doing, by downscaling 1080i to 720p!)

(Tertiary rant: A HDR equivalent to interlaced is rearing it's head: Hybrid Log Gamma. Could haunt us for decades, too. Fortunately industry insiders are starting to see the problems HLG brings, so it might not have the traction BBC and NHK had hoped for)
wxman, Smarty-pants and 121dj like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienn View Post
Are external kit works well?
external kit remove the Cinavia restrictions?

Thanks in advance
Why would it remove Cinavia? How? That's not part of the spec and is a very different technology.

Has any region mod ever done that?
post #2613 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Well mine comes today. I'd like to say I'm excited, but I'n not even sure I'll open it. I may be just RMA it. I'm frustrated with the HDR->SDR issues. That was the main reason for waiting for Oppo. That and I figured they would make the best player, as they usually do. In particular, it's frustrating that they not only list this as a feature in the knowledge base, but I also asked support BEFORE I bought it. Neither place mentioned it was "experimental." That paired with the report of skipping and I just don't know if I want to run out of my return window.

Yeah I get it's a new player. And I get that its a newer format. But these aren't small bugs. How could they NOT know that the HDR->SDR feature is converting to Rec709 and flagging it as BT2020?! How can you not know that? That isn't a coding error.

Just as concerning are the discrepancies between what Support has told me and what users here are confirming. For example that 4k24 can be set globally including the menus, when no one seems to be able to do that. Or that 4k60 can be set to 4:2:0 8 bit and the player will switch to 4:2:2 12 bit when a UHD disc is played....users have confirmed that the oppos menu even says 8 bit applies to 4k60 only, but Opp says that doesn't work.

I've been in contact with support, but really there isn't much they can tell me. Unless I can get my return window extended, it may get sent back unopened.

Last edited by curlyjive; 12-20-2016 at 06:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2614 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 381
OK, I've had the 203 in house for an evening and I have a few observations...

The hardware for my first tests:
Oppo UDP-203 (HDMI connection to TV, upgraded to the latest 12-9-16 production firmware)
LG 55B6P OLED TV (this is a bedroom set...no AVR or sound bar yet)
Wired gigabit ethernet to all devices including home servers
All settings on the Oppo set to defaults (Auto).

This is my first Oppo player since my now ancient DV-970HD (which is still in use in my mostly analog two channel room). So I haven't seen an interface from Oppo since then. It's pretty and seems nice enough. BD is the first selection and all other options are on the menu.

I've only played one 4K BD on this so far but it's a good one to test functionality, "The Martian". This movie is HDR10 with lots of panning shots to test judder. My wife and I also chose to watch most of the movie last night. There was a bug in which at the 1:08 mark where the video mostly locked up the player. It took awhile for the remote to get control of the player, and three further attempts couldn't get the movie past this spot (after restarting at the beginning of the chapter (18). Turning the player off (from the remote) and on was the only way to get the player to get past this issue and continue play. Weird.

There is a noticeable amount of judder from this movie (a 24 fps source). I began with Trumotion off for this test. I then chose the User mode and began with "0" for de-judder and "0" for de-blur. This setting wasn't any different than having Trumotion off and I couldn't get judder under control until setting de-judder to at least "4" and "5" was a little better...anything more gets into soap opera effect. I used the beginning of Chapter 8 as a guide which was the Watney funeral scene where we begin with the pan down of the planet Earth and then a pan across of a cemetery. I didn't feel it necessary to activate de-blur.

I have a USB stick connected to the Oppo with a combination of 4K test videos largely from 4ksamples.com and demo-uhd3d.com. The LG could play most of these videos natively but not all. The Oppo plays nearly everything except for the Elysium clip...I may re-download to test. Of the HDR videos, the Oppo passes HDR10 content to the LG and was correctly identified so that seems ok. Trumotion was off for these tests but I didn't notice judder as a problem from any file, even the 24 and 25 fps content.

I will do a more intensive music test later on my home theater rig. That 5.1 setup has a new Marantz AV7703 but an ancient Mitsubishi CRT RPTV so I'm interested to see the 203 de-res down to 1080i. I have some Hi-Res music on the USB stick and the Oppo played the stuff it was supposed to and didn't play the 32/384 DXD files of the DSD256 files (but not expecting it to). It would not play multi-channel ALAC (it's a format rarely used) but it did handle multi-channel FLAC. I have not tried physical disc media yet for music.

Going back to using the 203 as a network device...I have not been able to get the 203 to log into the SMB server on either of my Macs. Both are Mac Pros, one running El Capitan, the other Sierra. Both are running the latest version of OS X Server. I thought the issue might be the problem where OS X won't allow SMB logins from NTLMv1 authenticated sources (versus NTLMv2). I went ahead and did a hack to get OS X to allow to do NTLMv1 which works with my windows clients that really want to use NTLMv1 (like Windows 7) but it didn't work with the 203. It would be nice if Oppo can figure out what the problem is with Mac servers. Also, it would be nice for the oppo to allow manual IP addresses for servers instead of what it finds in a scan (but the scan did find everything on my network).

The Oppo did mount my Windows 2012 server and allowed me to play a movie I had there (nearly all my content is on the Mac servers). But the interface slows way down if there is a lot of information in a folder (like with a large music library). I'm thinking that if you want to use the 203 for network music play, it may be a bit frustrating. The upcoming 205 which will likely have a USB input like the 105/105D had is likely a better solution.

Other notes...if the player is waiting on something from the network, it's very hard to override the decision from the remote. The Oppo should poll the remote more often during a long network query. The Oppo remote is big and the backlight that activates upon pickup is a nice touch.

More tests coming...
AidenL and grtuck like this.

Last edited by Sevenfeet; 12-20-2016 at 06:45 AM.
post #2615 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked: 3150
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyharmonies View Post
UPDATE:
After posting last night and awaiting replies I decided to go the 2-HDMI route to see if that would work, and it does. So it's not my HDMI cables at issue. I can live with it as a workaround for the moment, but not a viable long-term solution.
This thing feels half baked and not ready for prime time.... rushed to market.

I know people here love them some Oppo, but personally I'm not feeling it. I love the notion of consolidating from the Samsung + separate SACD/DVD-A player down to one unit, and the Oppo, in theory, provides more bells and whistles, but thus far the $566 is not proving to be a good investment. I'll try contacting them later today.
Because people never have any setup/equipment issues

Sorry if that's a strong response, but justified given your generalization its half-baked not ready for prime time. Interesting how some with troubles are so quick to toss Oppo under the bus as you have done. Has everyone forgotten the issues that Panasonic (more expensive than the Oppo) and Samsung had with their players a week after they were released? Less than a week after release Oppo has beta firmware out to start addressing the issues being discovered, more on the way. Has Samsung fixed the red push months later? Have you ever tried to contact Samsung or Panasonic on the weekend and gotten someone who knew what they were doing to help you? Say what you want about this player, we all enjoy the right to speak freely, but Oppo has a proven track record with its products (see reviews), great customer support and addressing issues with its players usually very quickly.

Given all the hype around this player I can understand the disappointment that its not plug and play. Guess those of us with Oppo experience should have tried to make that clearer a month ago. In the end they get it right, but as we've said bugs on release are not a new phenom with Oppo - sorry it would be a lie to say otherwise. Remember there are a lot of variables at work, especially now that 4k and HDR are part of the equation and we have learned repeatedly that all HDMI cables are not created equally despite what their manufacturers claim. We also know that some manufacturers of av equipment have had their issues with how their units interact with other devices via HDMI - D&M is one of them (see below I own one).

I had to make a few adjustments myself, like buying a new cable and changing some output settings on the Oppo. Admit when I saw the blank screen on my display I had a few doubts about the player being right for me. I find it interesting we have folks buying a high end player who don't understand that their receivers HDMI inputs are not spec'd the same or that a display can have different video settings for each of their HDMI inputs. Then they jump on this thread and imply the player is bad - instead of providing information about their setup and what they might be doing wrong. None of us ever make mistakes, right

Just to make sure those reading this thread who have yet to buy a 203 read something positive, mine is working great and is playing all of my shiny disks (UHD, Blu, SACD, DVD-A and DVD) well. Equipment is listed below and I've always been a separate audio/video HDMI cable run guy from the Oppo to my display/receiver - Bob gets credit for that year's ago even though he was the first to mention that this approach wasn't necessary and didn't improve audio or video performance. Never missed the a/v menus

Great to read that it appears the stuttering some experienced has been addressed by one of the beta firmware updates. Hopefully it will be ready for prime time soon and pushed out to all of us since there is usually a few other things that are addressed that we may have not yet discovered.

Look forward to reading about the posters outcome once they talk to Oppo support this afternoon - rant over - no apology though as Oppo earned my loyalty/business years ago. Hopefully soon others will understand why there are those of us who would likely be referred to as Oppo "fans" or in my case zealot.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #2616 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can the HDR->SDR issue be "fixed" by turning HDR ON on the Oppo and using a HD Fury Integral to strip out the HDR flag?

Reason I am asking because I own a LG 65UB9500 SDR panel which supports 4K60 420 10b and 12b and 4K60 422 10b and 12b on HDMI3. Unfortunately, that port doesn't support HDCP2.2; hence why I purchased the Integral. The Oppo is currently sitting under the Christmas tree and I can't open until then. If the Integral will work, what settings should I choose? Thank you!
post #2617 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Exact same scenario I'm having with my Denon x4200. Replaced a perfectly working k8500, now everything is out of whack.
x6200 isn't playing nice either.

Sony 75" XBR-75Z9D
Denon AVR-X4400H
(4) Klipsch RP-280FA Dolby Atmos Enabled Towers
(1) Klipsch RP-450CA Center Channel
(1) SVS 12" PC-2000 Subwoofer
post #2618 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post
x6200 isn't playing nice either.
And as I mentioned previously, my x4200 and 203 are working perfectly together. Ironically enough, I had issues with the Samsung!

The HDMI problems we're all experiencing are due to FAR too many lawyers in the equipment chain.

post #2619 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 07:01 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight1 View Post
Can the HDR->SDR issue be "fixed" by turning HDR ON on the Oppo and using a HD Fury Integral to strip out the HDR flag?

Reason I am asking because I own a LG 65UB9500 SDR panel which supports 4K60 420 10b and 12b and 4K60 422 10b and 12b on HDMI3. Unfortunately, that port doesn't support HDCP2.2; hence why I purchased the Integral. The Oppo is currently sitting under the Christmas tree and I can't open until then. If the Integral will work, what settings should I choose? Thank you!
My Oppo was a xmas present too - but I only have the empty box wrapped up. Now that's going to be a surprise for my wife, when she realises I have been using it for a week.....

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
post #2620 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Because people never have any setup/equipment issues
Did you even bother reading the list of multiple problems I posted and the debugging steps I've tried, or did you just decide to don your fanboi pants and blame it on me, my equipment, and my HDMI cables? You get today's "Least Helpful" posting award.

P.S. I've opened a support ticket with Oppo with all of the relevant details. Hopefully they'll be a bit more helpful than you.

"But I want to do community service; I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel." - Hudson Hawk
Samsung UN75HU8550 + SEK-3500U OCB, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Blu-Ray
Martin Logan LX16 (x5), Klipsch RP-140SA (x4)
Elemental Designs A5-350 15-inch downfiring sub (x2)
Denon AVR-x4200w + Carver M-1.0t driving a 5.2.4 configuration
post #2621 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy1985 View Post
This looks EXACTLY like the region free mod for the 103/105. Let's hope so!

Thanks for the post with picture!

Sorry if I missed it, but has anyone already tested an external kit from previous units on the 203? I am going to sell my ISO capable 93 once I have the 203 and I'm wondering if I can just transfer the external mod to the 203.
post #2622 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post
I believe there's custom firmware available for the Panny DMP-UB900 that provides both region-free operation and Cinavia defeat:

http://www.regionfreedom.com/index.p...ls-eb-eg-gn-pc

The catch is that you appraently have to allow your player to send usage (and who knows what else) data to the developers.
That looks like impressive and cool firmware. I am pretty sure we are NOT permitted to discuss firmware hacks here, however, so I will defer discussion.

I am pretty sure, as well, that the region free hardware mod for the Oppo does not impact Cinavia in any fashion. Key clue: Whereas the people selling the firmware mode for the Panasonic call out Cinavia by name and tout that feature, the folks selling the Oppo hardware mod do not make that claim (and it strikes me that they would if they could).

Don't get me wrong. I feel your pain. I have most of my movies backed up on my server, for ease of access around the house, speedier access to the movie itself, no need to waste shelf space on storage, and no need for a region free mod on my players (since putting the movies on the server sidesteps the region coding). So I have to have a second streamer, for dealing with movies in my collection that won't play on the Oppo (eg, Money Monster).
Adrienn likes this.
post #2623 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, the hardware region-free kits sold by JVB Digital and others do NOT defeat Cinavia.
Adrienn likes this.

post #2624 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool tests, especially around server access. Please send your results to Oppo directly. They have been very eager to hear from me about my experience with playing back my media files, asking me to try different scenarios to help them understand what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post
OK, I've had the 203 in house for an evening and I have a few observations...

The hardware for my first tests:
Oppo UDP-203 (HDMI connection to TV, upgraded to the latest 12-9-16 production firmware)
LG 55B6P OLED TV (this is a bedroom set...no AVR or sound bar yet)
Wired gigabit ethernet to all devices including home servers
All settings on the Oppo set to defaults (Auto).

This is my first Oppo player since my now ancient DV-970HD (which is still in use in my mostly analog two channel room). So I haven't seen an interface from Oppo since then. It's pretty and seems nice enough. BD is the first selection and all other options are on the menu.

I've only played one 4K BD on this so far but it's a good one to test functionality, "The Martian". This movie is HDR10 with lots of panning shots to test judder. My wife and I also chose to watch most of the movie last night. There was a bug in which at the 1:08 mark where the video mostly locked up the player. It took awhile for the remote to get control of the player, and three further attempts couldn't get the movie past this spot (after restarting at the beginning of the chapter (18). Turning the player off (from the remote) and on was the only way to get the player to get past this issue and continue play. Weird.

There is a noticeable amount of judder from this movie (a 24 fps source). I began with Trumotion off for this test. I then chose the User mode and began with "0" for de-judder and "0" for de-blur. This setting wasn't any different than having Trumotion off and I couldn't get judder under control until setting de-judder to at least "4" and "5" was a little better...anything more gets into soap opera effect. I used the beginning of Chapter 8 as a guide which was the Watney funeral scene where we begin with the pan down of the planet Earth and then a pan across of a cemetery. I didn't feel it necessary to activate de-blur.

I have a USB stick connected to the Oppo with a combination of 4K test videos largely from 4ksamples.com and demo-uhd3d.com. The LG could play most of these videos natively but not all. The Oppo plays nearly everything except for the Elysium clip...I may re-download to test. Of the HDR videos, the Oppo passes HDR10 content to the LG and was correctly identified so that seems ok. Trumotion was off for these tests but I didn't notice judder as a problem from any file, even the 24 and 25 fps content.

I will do a more intensive music test later on my home theater rig. That 5.1 setup has a new Marantz AV7703 but an ancient Mitsubishi CRT RPTV so I'm interested to see the 203 de-res down to 1080i. I have some Hi-Res music on the USB stick and the Oppo played the stuff it was supposed to and didn't play the 32/384 DXD files of the DSD256 files (but not expecting it to). It would not play multi-channel ALAC (it's a format rarely used) but it did handle multi-channel FLAC. I have not tried physical disc media yet for music.

Going back to using the 203 as a network device...I have not been able to get the 203 to log into the SMB server on either of my Macs. Both are Mac Pros, one running El Capitan, the other Sierra. Both are running the latest version of OS X Server. I thought the issue might be the problem where OS X won't allow SMB logins from NTLMv1 authenticated sources (versus NTLMv2). I went ahead and did a hack to get OS X to allow to do NTLMv1 which works with my windows clients that really want to use NTLMv1 (like Windows 7) but it didn't work with the 203. It would be nice if Oppo can figure out what the problem is with Mac servers. Also, it would be nice for the oppo to allow manual IP addresses for servers instead of what it finds in a scan (but the scan did find everything on my network).

The Oppo did mount my Windows 2012 server and allowed me to play a movie I had there (nearly all my content is on the Mac servers). But the interface slows way down if there is a lot of information in a folder (like with a large music library). I'm thinking that if you want to use the 203 for network music play, it may be a bit frustrating. The upcoming 205 which will likely have a USB input like the 105/105D had is likely a better solution.

Other notes...if the player is waiting on something from the network, it's very hard to override the decision from the remote. The Oppo should poll the remote more often during a long network query. The Oppo remote is big and the backlight that activates upon pickup is a nice touch.

More tests coming...
post #2625 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 07:08 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTNFAN View Post
Sorry if I missed it, but has anyone already tested an external kit from previous units on the 203? I am going to sell my ISO capable 93 once I have the 203 and I'm wondering if I can just transfer the external mod to the 203.
Before you commit to sell the ISO playable 93, you should check all the media playback capabilities of the 203 meet your needs. It's very different.
nathan_h likes this.

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
post #2626 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The 203 does not support ISO playback.

post #2627 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
Before you commit to sell the ISO playable 93, you should check all the media playback capabilities of the 203 meet your needs. It's very different.
Understood and thanks for the feedback. If it did turn out that I kept the 93, I would still want to do my multi-region viewing on the 203, so it would be nice to just be able to transfer the mod kit over and save some money.
post #2628 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quick question,

I have a Marantz SR7009 witch doesn't support HDCP 2.2. What problems or limitations will i run into in combination with the 203?
(i know i can use the the second HDMI out connecting to the 7009 and the main HDMI connecting to the Epson Beamer), but i like to know.

At the moment I do not use the second HDMI out yet.

Dolby Atmos DTS-X - Marantz SR7010 - Epson TW9300/5040ub - 2x Klipsch R-115SW - Synology DS413J/4x3TB- Dune Solo4K - Samsung K8500 - Canare
post #2629 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
That looks like impressive and cool firmware. I am pretty sure we are NOT permitted to discuss firmware hacks here, however, so I will defer discussion.

I am pretty sure, as well, that the region free hardware mod for the Oppo does not impact Cinavia in any fashion. Key clue: Whereas the people selling the firmware mode for the Panasonic call out Cinavia by name and tout that feature, the folks selling the Oppo hardware mod do not make that claim (and it strikes me that they would if they could).

Don't get me wrong. I feel your pain. I have most of my movies backed up on my server, for ease of access around the house, speedier access to the movie itself, no need to waste shelf space on storage, and no need for a region free mod on my players (since putting the movies on the server sidesteps the region coding). So I have to have a second streamer, for dealing with movies in my collection that won't play on the Oppo (eg, Money Monster).
Would cinavia kick in if plex was streaming the video through the hdmi in?

NAD 758 v3 with Dirac 7.4.4 + Rotel 976 + Panamax M5300-PM
Paradigm Prestige 75F's + 55C; 8x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
DIY MBMs: VRK Build thread + 2x Rotel 981 (bridged)
Sub: 2x Rythmik LVX12 + MiniDSP
DIY Room Treatments: Dutch Floral Prints
post #2630 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Got my 203 yesterday. Ordered the afternoon of the day they went up for purchase. Am replacing a Samsung K8500. Signal passing through a Marantz AV7702mkII via 3' Monoprice HS Certified cable to a Vizio P75 using 45' Monoprice Cabernet cable.

My observations:

- Build quality and such is amazing as always.
- I like the older black UI better than this blue/picture background one.
- I set it up for UHD resolution with auto refresh and left the other video settings on auto. Bitstream audio of course.
- No issue getting the UI on screen right away. Used the included disc and updated firmware no problem.

- The network browser couldn't see my Synology shares via SMB. The old Oppo couldn't see newer version SMB shares either. I'm guessing it's the same issue. I enabled NFS on the Synology and the share showed up.
- Network browser is still simple. No rich data or thumbnails.
- Had some issues playing files via the share. Like black screen video but I could hear audio and such.
- Set up Plex last night and the Oppo saw the Plex server right away.

- I wish the UI showed the image art off discs that other players display. Would be nice to see something related to the disc in the upper screen telling you what's in there versus just an unrelated starry sky.

Didn't actually test any discs yet. Hopefully tonight.

Video: JVC NX7, Stewart Cima Neve 135"
Audio: Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato, Oppo 203, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Xbox Live: TrackZ
post #2631 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post
The 203 does not support ISO playback.
Understood. I didn't end up using the capability as much as I had planned, and by staying on the older firmware I ended up with some problem discs that later firmware fixed. I assume that the 203 will play my problem discs, so it's just a matter of deciding if my limited usage of the ISO capability is worth the loss of resale income and shelf space to keep it in my system.
post #2632 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I would be curious about this too as I have an integral.
post #2633 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6025
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
I would be curious about this too as I have an integral.
If you use the Integral on the 203, like you would on the Panny, the Oppo will just output 709 SDR.
post #2634 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
Would cinavia kick in if plex was streaming the video through the hdmi in?
You have to use a HARDWARE player on the HDMI input.

Plex is a software client and software server.

If you use Plex server with DLNA enabled, and access that content from the network media browser on the Oppo, Cinavia will still apply.

If you have an external media player like a Raspberry Pi running the Plex client and feed the HDMI output of the Pi into the HDMI input of the Oppo, it might not trigger Cinavia. I haven't tested that because I have no desire to upscale 1080p sources.
tjcinnamon and Adrienn like this.
post #2635 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked: 3150
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyharmonies View Post
Did you even bother reading the list of multiple problems I posted and the debugging steps I've tried, or did you just decide to don your fanboi pants and blame it on me, my equipment, and my HDMI cables? You get today's "Least Helpful" posting award.

P.S. I've opened a support ticket with Oppo with all of the relevant details. Hopefully they'll be a bit more helpful than you.
Remember I started out by saying "sorry." I did read your post and look forward to what you learn once you get some help from Oppo's technical support. It can be a humbling experience, which in your case would be a win (see setup things incorrectly comment as I have done that myself) vs. having received a defective player - aka really bad luck.

Hard to help with the attitude you conveyed in your post, if you would like to start over I would be happy to offer my assistance as I definitely understand the plug play expectation even if I don't agree with it. As I said before, hope you're call goes well and you can become like Panasonicst60(?) who has gone from its broke (generalization) to its great (not a generalization).

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #2636 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2303 Post(s)
Liked: 2139
Quote:

No. An Oppo/Integral combination will not get you BT.2020 SDR by itself.

The Integral does not strip HDR. It only tells the player with an EDID that BT.2020 is supported but HDR is not. That is sufficient for the Panasonic, Philips, and Samsung players to recognize that they should convert BT.2020 HDR to BT.2020 SDR instead of REC709 SDR. The Oppo currently seems to ignore that information in the EDID and still converts BT.2020 HDR to REC709 SDR. The only way to tell the Oppo to output BT.2020 SDR is with the "Strip Metadata" option which we all know has issues.

You can however use the Integral to convert HDCP 2.2 to HDCP 1.4.
sknight1 and AidenL like this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #2637 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
If you use the Integral on the 203, like you would on the Panny, the Oppo will just output 709 SDR.
Not that I am disagreeing with you, but I don't understand why. If one sets HDR ON wouldn't this "force" the Oppo to output BT2020? The HD Fury then, in turn, strips out the HDR flag so the display device receives a signal it understands (SDR or rather non-HDR)? Thanks!
post #2638 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2303 Post(s)
Liked: 2139
Quote:
Not that I am disagreeing with you, but I don't understand why. If one sets HDR ON wouldn't this "force" the Oppo to output BT2020? The HD Fury then, in turn, strips out the HDR flag so the display device receives a signal it understands (SDR or rather non-HDR)? Thanks!
See my previous post directly above yours.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #2639 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post

The Integral does not strip HDR. It only tells the player with an EDID that BT.2020 is supported but HDR is not. That is sufficient for the Panasonic, Philips, and Samsung players to recognize that they should convert BT.2020 HDR to BT.2020 SDR instead of REC709 SDR. The Oppo currently seems to ignore that information in the EDID and still converts BT.2020 HDR to REC709 SDR. The only way to tell the Oppo to output BT.2020 SDR is with the "Strip Metadata" option which we all know has issues.

Aaah. Thanks! I think I posted too soon.
post #2640 of 37052 Old 12-20-2016, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post

Yeah I thought so since the Integral can't do conversions. Had a hopeful moment...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page