Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 880 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279040Likes

post #26371 of 37037 Old 03-04-2018, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 340
How do you do a factory reset on a 203? Does it just clear user changes or does it go back to a previous firmware version?

Is there a way to just reset user choices?

Buncha savages in this town.... - Clerks

Sam Posten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26372 of 37037 Old 03-04-2018, 02:12 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4605 Post(s)
Liked: 4440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post
How do you do a factory reset on a 203? Does it just clear user changes or does it go back to a previous firmware version?
I'm sure that's in the manual.

It does not revert firmware.

-Bill
oldsteve and galonzo like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #26373 of 37037 Old 03-04-2018, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
That is correct. It is how the LG info display works. DV implies rec 2020 anyway.

Many player adjustments are locked out when playing DV UHD, per Dolby's requirements. We hope that will be loosened up some day.

-Bill
Thanks.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Family Room
LG OLED65C6P, Denon AVRX2400H, Oppo 203, XBOX One S

Bedroom
TCL 55R615, Samsung UBD-K8500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26374 of 37037 Old 03-04-2018, 02:24 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5805 Post(s)
Liked: 8276
Quote:
Originally Posted by korsjs View Post
Quick question about settings. I have had oppo for a day. When I play a HDR 10 disc I will see rec 2020 on my LG info in the top left. When I play a DV disc it does not show rec 2020 but indicates DV.

Is this correct or should I be seeing rec 2020 with a DV disc? The opportunity does not allow me to make HDR adjustments when in DV mode.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
You are good to go. Dolby Vision playback will only show as Dolby Vision.

The "HDR adjustments" in the OPPO's HDR menu are only applicable when doing HDR to SDR conversion, which you do not need to do since your LG handles Dolby Vision. So things like the Target Luminance and HDR to SDR Conversion Mode settings would just be ignored anyway.

The same is true if you play HDR-10 content, unless you set the player to not output HDR. (Something you might want to try just for kicks and grins, but which is unlikely to be useful during normal viewing.)
--Bob
korsjs and galonzo like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #26375 of 37037 Old 03-04-2018, 02:47 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I am going to try to use the 203 to read 4K streams from Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and Directv, and output the stream on my 1080P projector. The concept is what I call FIFO. Finest In, Finest Out. I theorize that a high quality video from one of these sources will look better on my projector than a 1080 signal going to it. The trick, which has been pointed out in another thread is that the Oppo must make the sender think it is a 4K device. It needs to send an EDID signal back to Netflix for instance saying I am 4K. Otherwise Netflix switches to 1080P. Has anyone here tried this? Is my theory correct in your eyes? I noticed in the March 2nd release notes that point #4 said " Added a detailed info page for the HDMI In source". Is this the vehicle for knowing that Netflix did not switch the resolution?
In the new firmware, you can use the Extended Info display (Press and Hold Info button on the Remote for a few seconds until it appears, and then use Up/Down Arrow to scroll through to read all of it) to see what's coming in when playing content via the player's HDMI Input.

The first section of the Extended Info display shows the content coming in. It will tell you, for example, the Resolution coming in and whether that video coming in is HDR or SDR.

How good 4K Internet streams will look depends on LOTS of things, not least of which are the games the Internet streaming services play to try to keep the bit-rate down. Just because something is called 4K resolution doesn't mean it is *GOOD* 4K resolution. For example, the file they are sending you may simply be upscaled from a 1080p master -- in which case viewing the original 1080p from disc will likely look better. And these services operate on a "whatever we can get away with" policy when it comes to bit-starving (over compressing) these streams. The most common place you'll find problems will be in dark scenes. The services assume MOST people won't have their displays properly calibrated, and thus can't see dark scenes very well to begin with. So, they figure, that's a great place for them to compress the stream (reducing the streaming bit rate).

If you play a 4K UHD disc, you can use the Info display in the player to see the bit rate of data coming off the disc. Now keep in mind the data coming off the disc is *COMPRESSED* -- not raw video, and this bit rate refers to reading in that COMPRESSED data off the disc. The player expands the compressed data to produce what goes out on HDMI to your display. What you'll find is that UHD discs typically have data reading bit-rates above 30 Megabits Per Second (Mbps) -- with peak rates near 100 Mbps.

Netflix, for example, says things will be just peachy for their 4K streams if you have 15Mbps Internet service. They claim their whizbang compression is so much more efficient that you'll never see what's missing. See, "whatever they can get away with", above.

Netflix also operates on the principal, "The Show Must go On!". So if there's a problem, perhaps temporary, in your Internet service or in-house network, Netflix will switch gears to send you a lower streaming rate, automatically, so that the movie keeps playing -- at reduced quality of course.

Please note, the Extended Info display in the OPPO has no way to know what streaming rate is coming in to your Netflix player, nor how that streaming file was created, nor what the Netflix player is doing to it after it arrives. The OPPO only knows the Netflix player is sending it 4K video or 1080p video on that HDMI Input, for example. You just have to take it on faith that at least some of those pixels are "correct".

I hate to harp on Netflix, but they are the easiest example. Whatever damage they have done to the movie in the creation of the streaming files -- or in the compression of the stream sent to their player -- or in the whizbang processing done in that player (see Step 2: A Miracle Occurs) to turn that into HDMI output at 1080p or 4K going to the OPPO, can *NOT* be corrected by processing in the OPPO. Any damage already done is PERMANENT -- information has been permanently lost and can not be resurrected by any sort of clever video processing.

And finally, you need to realize that nothing is forever on the streaming services. So even if you DO find a movie that plays to your liking TODAY, a year from now (if it is still on their service, in the first place) they may have switched to streaming a poorer quality file -- i.e., lower bit rate, which frees up their servers for customers streaming newer content. This is one of the nice things about discs, of course. They don't change.
--Bob
GGA, oldsteve, billqs and 6 others like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #26376 of 37037 Old 03-04-2018, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1413 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
In the new firmware, you can use the Extended Info display (Press and Hold Info button on the Remote for a few seconds until it appears, and then use Up/Down Arrow to scroll through to read all of it) to see what's coming in when playing content via the player's HDMI Input.

The first section of the Extended Info display shows the content coming in. It will tell you, for example, the Resolution coming in and whether that video coming in is HDR or SDR.

How good 4K Internet streams will look depends on LOTS of things, not least of which are the games the Internet streaming services play to try to keep the bit-rate down. Just because something is called 4K resolution doesn't mean it is *GOOD* 4K resolution. For example, the file they are sending you may simply be upscaled from a 1080p master -- in which case viewing the original 1080p from disc will likely look better. And these services operate on a "whatever we can get away with" policy when it comes to bit-starving (over compressing) these streams. The most common place you'll find problems will be in dark scenes. The services assume MOST people won't have their displays properly calibrated, and thus can't see dark scenes very well to begin with. So, they figure, that's a great place for them to compress the stream (reducing the streaming bit rate).

If you play a 4K UHD disc, you can use the Info display in the player to see the bit rate of data coming off the disc. Now keep in mind the data coming off the disc is *COMPRESSED* -- not raw video, and this bit rate refers to reading in that COMPRESSED data off the disc. The player expands the compressed data to produce what goes out on HDMI to your display. What you'll find is that UHD discs typically have data reading bit-rates above 30 Megabits Per Second (Mbps) -- with peak rates near 100 Mbps.

Netflix, for example, says things will be just peachy for their 4K streams if you have 15Mbps Internet service. They claim their whizbang compression is so much more efficient that you'll never see what's missing. See, "whatever they can get away with", above.

Netflix also operates on the principal, "The Show Must go On!". So if there's a problem, perhaps temporary, in your Internet service or in-house network, Netflix will switch gears to send you a lower streaming rate, automatically, so that the movie keeps playing -- at reduced quality of course.

Please note, the Extended Info display in the OPPO has no way to know what streaming rate is coming in to your Netflix player, nor how that streaming file was created, nor what the Netflix player is doing to it after it arrives. The OPPO only knows the Netflix player is sending it 4K video or 1080p video on that HDMI Input, for example. You just have to take it on faith that at least some of those pixels are "correct".

I hate to harp on Netflix, but they are the easiest example. Whatever damage they have done to the movie in the creation of the streaming files -- or in the compression of the stream sent to their player -- or in the whizbang processing done in that player (see Step 2: A Miracle Occurs) to turn that into HDMI output at 1080p or 4K going to the OPPO, can *NOT* be corrected by processing in the OPPO. Any damage already done is PERMANENT -- information has been permanently lost and can not be resurrected by any sort of clever video processing.

And finally, you need to realize that nothing is forever on the streaming services. So even if you DO find a movie that plays to your liking TODAY, a year from now (if it is still on their service, in the first place) they may have switched to streaming a poorer quality file -- i.e., lower bit rate, which frees up their servers for customers streaming newer content. This is one of the nice things about discs, of course. They don't change.
--Bob
Bob,

Thanks for replying. I am willing to take what I can get from the sources as I suspect that on average the 4K sources will be better input quality than their 1080P counterparts. My biggest concern is what component will identify itself to Netflix as a 4K device. Does the 203 do that? I'm told that if any EDID 1080P indentity bit is sent back to Netflix it will switch the 4K stream to 1080P. Does that handshake with the ID bits stop with the Oppo or will it go down the chain? I've already experienced this problem with my 4K receiver and Directv. When I pass my 4K signal from Directv through my Denon to my 4K panel I get the message from Directv that your TV is not 4K capable, even though it is. When I wire my HDMI straight from D* to the panel no problem. So I hate to put out $500+ for the 203 and find out it doesn't work like I would like.

Jack
post #26377 of 37037 Old 03-04-2018, 03:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Bob,

Thanks for replying. I am willing to take what I can get from the sources as I suspect that on average the 4K sources will be better input quality than their 1080P counterparts. My biggest concern is what component will identify itself to Netflix as a 4K device. Does the 203 do that? I'm told that if any EDID 1080P indentity bit is sent back to Netflix it will switch the 4K stream to 1080P. Does that handshake with the ID bits stop with the Oppo or will it go down the chain? I've already experienced this problem with my 4K receiver and Directv. When I pass my 4K signal from Directv through my Denon to my 4K panel I get the message from Directv that your TV is not 4K capable, even though it is. When I wire my HDMI straight from D* to the panel no problem. So I hate to put out $500+ for the 203 and find out it doesn't work like I would like.
There's an HDMI Input Specifications setting in Setup > Device Setup in the OPPO. Use that to specify the highest type of video you want the OPPO to identify as available during the handshake with your source device. The default (UHD HDR) is the highest setting. Set that way, the HDMI Input will say it can receive 4K video with HDR-10 (but not Dolby Vision).
--Bob
galonzo likes this.

post #26378 of 37037 Old 03-04-2018, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There's an HDMI Input Specifications setting in Setup > Device Setup in the OPPO. Use that to specify the highest type of video you want the OPPO to identify as available during the handshake with your source device. The default (UHD HDR) is the highest setting. Set that way, the HDMI Input will say it can receive 4K video with HDR-10 (but not Dolby Vision).
--Bob
That sounds great. Can I assume then that the Oppo does the same thing with the display device and will then do the down rez to 1080P?

Jack
post #26379 of 37037 Old 03-04-2018, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 2139
Quote:
--Bob
I don't think this is the case when the device that the Oppo outputs to does not support 4K or HDR. We discussed this earlier and I posted that my Samsung K8500 UHD player would not send HDR if the Oppo output was to a non-HDR device. I did not test 1080p, but I expect the same would be true when the Oppo output is connected to a 1080p device.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post55653918

I think the Oppo is required to report the display device's capabilities just like an AVR would.
galonzo likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 03-04-2018 at 03:40 PM.
post #26380 of 37037 Old 03-04-2018, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
I don't think this is the case when the device that the Oppo outputs to does not support 4K or HDR. We discussed this earlier and I posted that my Samsung K8500 UHD player would not send HDR if the Oppo output was to a non-HDR device. I did not test 1080p, but I expect the same would be true when the Oppo output is connected to a 1080p device.

I think the Oppo is required to report the display device's capabilities just like an AVR would.
Yikes! That sounds too logical. I really was hesitant to invest in a 4K projector until they improved in their performance and the HDR issues had settled down.

Jack
post #26381 of 37037 Old 03-04-2018, 05:06 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post

That's actually an issue with Copy Protection, and how strictly the Source device decides it wants to implement that.

Most 4K/HDR content is going to want HDCP 2.2 Copy Protection. HDMI is an end to end protocol, and so every device in the video chain has to be HDCP 2.2 compliant or the source won't send 4K/HDR into the video chain. What the source sends INSTEAD is up to the Source.

For example, if I attach an Apple TV 4K to the HDMI Input of my 205, and cable Main HDMI out of the 205 to my Anthem Statement D2v/3D -- which is only capable of 1080p (w/ 3D) and no HDR, with the D2v cabled to my LG E6, I'll need to set the OPPO to output 1080p so my D2v can handle that.

I can still set the HDMI Input Specifications to UHD HDR. And HDR output to AUTO.

Now, when I select the HDMI Input on the OPPO and play, say "Arrival" in iTunes on the ATV4K the following logic happens:

1) The movie is 4K / Dolby Vision, so the ATV4K is looking for the video chain to be HDCP 2.2 compliant. It sends a query to the OPPO and discovers it is good to go. It then sends a query through the OPPO to the D2v and discovers it is NOT HDCP 2.2 compliant. (It doesn't matter whether the LG E6 has HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color enabled or not for the input from the D2v -- which is how you enable HDCP 2.2 in the LG.)

2) The ATV4K identifies the content it wants to play as HDCP 2.2 Class 1, which means it is not legal for the OPPO to convert HDCP 2.2 input to lesser Copy Protection output.

3) The ATV4K then decides to try for HDCP 2.1. It can send 4K with that, but not HDR. After inquiring of the OPPO, and the D2v, it discovers that the OPPO is capable of HDCP 2.1 but the D2v is not. (Again it does not matter at this point what the LG can do.)

4) The ATV4K decides the SDR-restricted content *IS* OK for down-conversion. I.e., it can be sent as 4K SDR, and the OPPO is allowed to down-convert that to 1080p to go to the D2v -- assuming the rest of the video chain is compliant with HDCP 1.4.

5) The ATV4K then inquires of the D2v (through the OPPO, and the LG E6 (through both the OPPO and the D2v) and discovers that they are both good for HDCP 1.4, and furthermore that the LG E6 is the end of the video chain.

The RESULT of all this handshaking is that the ATV4K sends 4K/SDR to the OPPO (HDCP 2.1). The OPPO down-converts that to 1080p/SDR to the D2v (HDCP 1.4). And the D2v passes that on to the LG E6 still as 1080p/SDR.

I have my ATV4K set to match both frame rate and dynamic range between content and output. It can't match the Dolby Vision dynamic range of the movie because the HDMI Input of the OPPO does not accept Dolby Vision at this point. And it can't even convert that to HDR-10 output due to the lack of HDCP 2.2 compliance in the entire video chain. But it CAN match the /24 frame rate.

And so the ATV4K takes this 4K/24 Dolby Vision flick and outputs it to the OPPO as 4K/24 SDR BT.709 YCbCr 4:4:4 8-bit. The ATV4K is doing the down-conversion from Dolby Vision to SDR (including the down-conversion of Color Gamut to BT.709). The choice of 4:4:4 8-bit output has to do with how 4K output works in HDCP 2.1 to keep from exceeding the HDMI bandwidth limit for HDCP 2.1 connections.

The OPPO (with my standard settings) then does its down-conversion and outputs 1080p/24 SDR BT.709 YCbCr 4:2:2 12-bit to the D2v.

The D2v then sends along 1080p/24 to the LG E6 -- still as SDR.

Again, all of this is true whether or not HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color (HDCP 2.2 style video) is enabled in the LG E6 or not.

--------------------------------

The bottom line being the ATV4K will send this movie as 4K to the OPPO but will convert the Dolby Vision to SDR.

OTHER Source devices may make different choices.
--Bob
ht guy and galonzo like this.

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 03-04-2018 at 05:17 PM.
post #26382 of 37037 Old 03-04-2018, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1803 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Blu Ray concert audio question

Hi folks...I popped in my Eagles Farewell tour and selected the dts option on the disc...I’ve watched this disc 100 times and have always had audio in my rear surrounds...I have audio set to bitstream but no audio in rear surrounds...any suggestions? Thanks

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820, triple black velvet batcave
Screen:120” 2.35 Elunevision Tab tensioned motorized drop down screen;

Last edited by asharma; 03-04-2018 at 05:42 PM.
post #26383 of 37037 Old 03-04-2018, 05:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Hi folks...I popped in my Eagles Farewell tour and selected the dts option on the disc...I’ve watched this disc 100 times and have always had audio in my rear surrounds...I have audio set to bitstream but no audio in rear surrounds...any suggestions? Thanks
Confirm that you have Secondary Audio set to OFF.

Check in the Info displays to confirm which audio track you are playing, then check the surround processing settings in your AVR to see what it is receiving and what it is putting out.
--Bob
galonzo likes this.

post #26384 of 37037 Old 03-04-2018, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1803 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Confirm that you have Secondary Audio set to OFF.

Check in the Info displays to confirm which audio track you are playing, then check the surround processing settings in your AVR to see what it is receiving and what it is putting out.
--Bob
Thanks Bob...eek, avr setting, not sure when it changed but good now, thanks again
Bob Pariseau likes this.

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820, triple black velvet batcave
Screen:120” 2.35 Elunevision Tab tensioned motorized drop down screen;
post #26385 of 37037 Old 03-04-2018, 05:52 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ elves. The place is riddled with them....

--Bob
galonzo, asharma and RagtopFE like this.

post #26386 of 37037 Old 03-04-2018, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 286 Post(s)
Quoted: 3277 Post(s)
Liked: 8185
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
It's a DTS-MA 5.1 bluray,
but my Yamaha plays most 5.1 sources as 7.1 in straight mode
Does that regardless of player or disc...a known bug for several years,
but I expand to 7.4.4 anyway with Neural:X or Dolby Surround

Just checked on the Oppo... yup 5.1 plays as 7.1

galonzo and asharma like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #26387 of 37037 Old 03-04-2018, 06:16 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
It's a DTS-MA 5.1 bluray,
but my Yamaha always plays as 5.1 sources as 7.1 in straight mode
Does that regardless of player or disc...a known bug for several years,
but I expand to 7.4.4 anyway with Neural:X or Dolby Surround

Just checked on the Oppo... yup 5.1 plays as 7.1
. . . .
Strange as it may seem, this is what DTS INTENDS to happen. Welcome to the wonderfully weird world of DTS "Speaker Presentation" processing.

First of all, this is a DTS-only thing. Nobody else seems to think it is a good idea. Second of all, the implementation is kinda half-baked, mainly because AVRs never bought into letting people specify the ACTUAL locations of their speakers. I mean, precisely WHERE in the Rear or on the Side is your Rear or Side speaker?

"Speaker Presentation" is an optional feature of DTS authoring. It is also an optional feature of DTS Bitstream decoding (as in AVRs).

The most notorious user of it in authoring was <EDIT>Lions Gate New Line, who discovered they could market 5.1 theatrical tracks as 7.1 on disc by dint of using the "speaker presentation" configuration which effectively includes TWO "side" speakers on each side! Woo Hoo! No need to spend ANY money making that 7.1 track. Ka-ching!

It's about 50-50 whether AVR decoding implements Speaker Presentation processing as part of the decoding, although NOBODY implements the exciting in its Byzantine splendor version DTS originally touted.

Odds are your AVR is implementing the limited form. DTS decoding in the OPPO also implements that.

------------------------------

So here's the deal:

In a standard 5.1 configuration, the Side speakers are located a bit behind the seating: More than a 90 degree angled, measured from center seating, starting in the direction of the screen and moving around to the direction to the Side speaker.

But in a standard 7.1 configuration, the side speakers are located even with the seating: At a 90 degree angle.

So suppose you have authored a 5.1 track and the user plays it on a 7.1 speaker system. Well that means the audio from his Side speaker is coming from a direction a little more forward than where you had it mastered.

Speaker Presentation processing to the rescue! When a DTS 5.1 track is decoded for 7.1 speakers -- using a decoder that implements Speaker Presentation -- the Side channel content is created as a Phantom Side. That is, the audio is directed partly to the real, Side speaker and partly to the real, Rear speaker on the same side -- producing an apparent location slightly behind the seating! It's the same sort of thing as the Left Front and Right Front speakers combining to produce a Phantom Center if you don't actually have a Center speaker.

Of course this all fails to work as intended because there's nothing forcing the user to position his 7.1 speakers in the locations Speaker Presentation is assuming....

--Bob
ayrton, ht guy, galonzo and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 03-06-2018 at 10:19 AM.
post #26388 of 37037 Old 03-04-2018, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Strange as it may seem, this is what DTS INTENDS to happen. Welcome to the wonderfully weird world of DTS "Speaker Presentation" processing.

First of all, this is a DTS-only thing. Nobody else seems to think it is a good idea. Second of all, the implementation is kinda half-baked, mainly because AVRs never bought into letting people specify the ACTUAL locations of their speakers. I mean, precisely WHERE in the Rear or on the Side is your Rear or Side speaker?

"Speaker Presentation" is an optional feature of DTS authoring. It is also an optional feature of DTS Bitstream decoding (as in AVRs).

--Bob
No Bob, it's very much a Yamaha AVR thing too, has been for the last 3 years.
Example, I'm watching The Walking Dead right now, a DD 5.1 signal, AVR set to Straight, no post processing

Signal In vs Signal Out:

Like I said though, I have a full 7.1.4 ATMOS/DTS:X capable system so I up mix anyway...no problemo.

For audio purists, the Yamaha does have two shift on the fly speaker "pattern" configurations you can personalize and specify,
One with Back Surrounds and One without, and you can save each to a scene button on the remote to get real 5.1 or 7.1.

Personally I choose to use that feature to specify my presence speakers as Height for DTS:X and Overhead for ATMOS material.
The Only way to get proper call outs on each channel in each format without content bleeding from the Height Layer to the Bed Layer with DTS:X test tones

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 03-05-2018 at 04:53 PM.
post #26389 of 37037 Old 03-04-2018, 06:45 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ LOTS of AVRs offer Surround Sound processing to produce more speakers of output from fewer speakers of content. They'll do this even with NON-Bitstream tracks. (Such Surround Sound processing has nothing to do with trying to render the original master speaker locations. It's just gussying up the sound field because they can.)

Only DTS Speaker Presentation processing forces it as part of the Bitstream decoding.
--Bob

post #26390 of 37037 Old 03-04-2018, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^ LOTS of AVRs offer Surround Sound processing to produce more speakers of output from fewer speakers of content. They'll do this even with NON-Bitstream tracks. (Such Surround Sound processing has nothing to do with trying to render the original master speaker locations. It's just gussying up the sound field because they can.)

Only DTS Speaker Presentation processing forces it as part of the Bitstream decoding.

--Bob
I'm trying to tell you that even a Dolby Digital 5.1 Bitstream source is FORCED to play in 7.1
...If you have a 7 speaker configuration on a Yamaha AVR. (2015 and Up)

I realize there are lots of Post Processing DSP options in the AVR,
and another group of options for surround decoders (DD Sur., Neural:X, PLxII, NEO:6 etc.)
...After almost 4 decades using Yamaha receivers, I'm not exactly new to all this.

What I'm trying to convey to you is with ALL DSP and Surround modes turned completely off and the Yamaha AVR set to "Straight", no expanded channels,
a DD 5.1 bitstream source still plays as 7.1...it isn't only limited to DTS.

There are many posts in almost every recent Yamaha model thread over the past 3 model years
Here's one of many...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post47595321

The only way I can get my SACD's to play in 5.1 is in Pure Direct Mode,
....but that also disables all bass management settings.

Straight Mode should pass a 5.1 signal as 5.1 period,
the manual even states that's what is "supposed" to happen, but it just isnt so.

Another option is to go to the speaker configuration menu set the back surrounds speakers to "none".

Last edited by PioManiac; 03-05-2018 at 05:00 PM.
post #26391 of 37037 Old 03-04-2018, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I performed the update and noticed that the video output was SDR (had Coco in 4k playing). I was checking my settings in the video output setup screen and all looked ok. Next I checked the HDR settings, verified that the setting was on auto. I changed the setting from auto to forced and now the video output is HDR. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this issue. I always had it set to auto and had HDR output. Unless something has changed I assume that in auto mode the video should output in HDR if you are playing HDR content.
post #26392 of 37037 Old 03-05-2018, 01:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post
Sort of, connect your media player up to the Oppo HDMI-in port. My Zappiti works great this way. YMMV based on the choice of player. I didn't buy an Oppo for a media player and don't think it was ever advertised as one. Most are just happy that it even works with network and USB attached media. I seriously doubt the Oppo will ever serve as an app/media player with a poster wall, just as media players don't play discs.
Hello

Thank you for reply, I have question. If I use that method will i benefit from oppos pq management or media players? I hope you understand my English and my question
post #26393 of 37037 Old 03-05-2018, 02:13 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_lion View Post
I performed the update and noticed that the video output was SDR (had Coco in 4k playing). I was checking my settings in the video output setup screen and all looked ok. Next I checked the HDR settings, verified that the setting was on auto. I changed the setting from auto to forced and now the video output is HDR. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this issue. I always had it set to auto and had HDR output. Unless something has changed I assume that in auto mode the video should output in HDR if you are playing HDR content.
Auto should work (and works here). Having to use Forced suggests an HDMI handshake problem.

Did you do the recommended Reset of the OPPO after the firmware install? If that doesn’t fix it, get in touch with OPPO Tech Support and give them the details on your other gear in the video path.
—Bob

post #26394 of 37037 Old 03-05-2018, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Auto should work (and works here). Having to use Forced suggests an HDMI handshake problem.

Did you do the recommended Reset of the OPPO after the firmware install? If that doesn’t fix it, get in touch with OPPO Tech Support and give them the details on your other gear in the video path.
—Bob
Thank you, I will give it a try.
post #26395 of 37037 Old 03-05-2018, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Martelli View Post
Here’s to hoping dv over hdmi to Sonys is in the next beta
Based on my initial testing, it does not appear to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
Ok, so I got my Sony 75" 900E TV yesterday. I just want to make sure and configure the output of my 203 properly for this TV, as I now have seven UHD Blu-ray titles and will be adding more. Because my Denon AVR-X5200 is not fully 4K compatible, or so I have been given to understand, I have one HDMI output going directly to the new TV and one HDMI output going to the Denon. Any info much appreciated!
I use mine similarly. I take the video out to my Sony 940E and audio out to my AVR in parallel, because my AVR can't pass 4K HDR video on to my TV, and my TV can't pass lossless audio on to my AVR.

I even use the "HDMI Input" on the OPPO to enable the same capability for my NVidia Shield. Fantastic feature/idea on OPPO's part, IMO.
galonzo likes this.
post #26396 of 37037 Old 03-05-2018, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Two questions about the new firmware, specifically regarding the HDMI Input connection for a streaming media player.

1) The "firmware version history" does not explicitly indicate if the "four HDR to SDR modes to improve HDR to SDR conversion" apply to an HDMI-Input source or not, but to my eyes (and without an expensive meter/equipment for tests), it sure does look to me like the picture I'm getting when I stream SDR content (like live cable tv) with my Shield set to HDR (10-bit 4:2:0 Rec.2020) is MUCH IMPROVED from what it was prior to this firmware update. Anyone else notice this/agree? Colors used to be VERY washed out if I didn't manually set my Shield output to SDR. Seems like it looks a lot better now... am I imagining this? Anyone else observing similar?

2) Anyone else having A/V lip sync issues, post-firmware-update, when streaming lossless audio from an HDMI-Input source?
post #26397 of 37037 Old 03-05-2018, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 1747
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
Two questions about the new firmware, specifically regarding the HDMI Input connection for a streaming media player.

1) The "firmware version history" does not explicitly indicate if the "four HDR to SDR modes to improve HDR to SDR conversion" apply to an HDMI-Input source or not, but to my eyes (and without an expensive meter/equipment for tests), it sure does look to me like the picture I'm getting when I stream SDR content (like live cable tv) with my Shield set to HDR (10-bit 4:2:0 Rec.2020) is MUCH IMPROVED from what it was prior to this firmware update. Anyone else notice this/agree? Colors used to be VERY washed out if I didn't manually set my Shield output to SDR. Seems like it looks a lot better now... am I imagining this? Anyone else observing similar?

2) Anyone else having A/V lip sync issues, post-firmware-update, when streaming lossless audio from an HDMI-Input source?
Yes, you're imagining this; the setting doesn't apply to SDR content.

Sorry, I haven't tested streaming lossless audio to an external device, then piping it through the 203 HDMI input; lossy Atmos streams fine, though.
psuKinger likes this.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #26398 of 37037 Old 03-05-2018, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
Yes, you're imagining this; the setting doesn't apply to SDR content.
OK, interesting... I didn't get to play with it much this weekend, so I'm open to that being the case... I did snap a couple of pictures with my camera (pixel 2, not an expensive dedicated DSLR) and did think I saw an improvement when comparing the screenshots...
post #26399 of 37037 Old 03-05-2018, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Using an Nvidia Shield, it appears that Lossless audio passthrough using Kodi/Spmc is not working under the latest firmware.

Lossless audio formats will work via Plex.

Reinstalling those apps did not fix the issue.

Lossless was working using Kodi and SPMC with the beta firmware.

So more issues I will address with Oppo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #26400 of 37037 Old 03-05-2018, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
Using an Nvidia Shield, it appears that Lossless audio passthrough using Kodi/Spmc is not working under the latest firmware.

Lossless audio formats will work via Plex.

Reinstalling those apps did not fix the issue.

Lossless was working using Kodi and SPMC with the beta firmware.

So more issues I will address with Oppo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
^^^
This is odd to hear, groove, because the lossless audio is working for me without any A/V sync issues (nvidia shield --> oppo 203 --> AVR) if I use Kodi ... Plex is also streaming lossless audio for me, but with some pretty bad A/V lipsync issues that I did not notice and do no believe were happening to me until after I took the firmware update to the OPPO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page