Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 882 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279068Likes

post #26431 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
With Directv 4K service, all the non-4k HD channels are SDR BT.2020.
Thats not the same, thats 1080 BT2020 you are referring to, I mean SDR(sdr gamma)/BT2020 4K is not a standard.

I don't live in the US but are you sure that they give 1080 with BT2020 color? seems very strange to mee but if you say so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26432 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Hello,

I did the update to the new official firmware this weekend. Up to now the player has been flawless since I got it in December.

After the update, it would always play the UHD disc in SDR mode. The media info showed it was reading Dolby Vision, but sending out SDR Rec 709. I tried to set the HDR mode to Forced, but still nothing. So, I unplugged the 203.

After plugging it back in, it sent HDR to the TV. Does anyone think I should leave the HDR setting to "forced"? Just scared it will act up again and send SDR only.

Thanks.

Video - UHD TV: Sony 940E, UHD BD:Panasonic UB900, Samsung K8500, Oppo 203 Apple TV 4K
Audio - Yamaha CX-A5100 PrePro, Outlaw Audio Amps x 3, Polk Rti-A7s x 2, Rti-A5s x 4, 70RTs x 4, SVS PB16 Ultra x2
post #26433 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Latest firmware update, I have noticed by Oppo freezing/hanging up when under the network tab then selecting my homerun hd and watching live channels through it that every now and then it will freeze up and I have to hard reset.

Anyone else notice this? I may be alone in pulling my homerun hd through my oppo network option lol... man I wish Homerun HD was able to figure out a way to make an app for the Roku. ^^;;

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, 2017 nVidia Shield, Hauppauge OTA DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26434 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 02:51 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5812 Post(s)
Liked: 8279
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGeek View Post
Hello,

I did the update to the new official firmware this weekend. Up to now the player has been flawless since I got it in December.

After the update, it would always play the UHD disc in SDR mode. The media info showed it was reading Dolby Vision, but sending out SDR Rec 709. I tried to set the HDR mode to Forced, but still nothing. So, I unplugged the 203.

After plugging it back in, it sent HDR to the TV. Does anyone think I should leave the HDR setting to "forced"? Just scared it will act up again and send SDR only.

Thanks.
No, switch back to Auto.

When you removed wall power from the player you forced it to do a complete reboot on the next power up -- the sort of thing you get with Standby Mode set to ENERGY EFFICIENT, but after losing wall power you also get this on the first, subsequent power up even if you have NETWORK STANDY set. That cleared out whatever problem was in place with the HDMI handshake.

----------------------------------

After doing any firmware install I recommend that you:

1) Remove any disc in the tray
2) Save your settings to a USB stick. See Setup > Device Setup > Settings Management
3) In Setup > Device Setup > Persistent Storage, do an Erase Persistent Storage
4) In Setup > Device Setup, do a Reset Factory Defaults
5) Power cycle the player (due to the Reset you just did, this will be an ENERGY EFFICIENT style power cycle -- i.e., a complete reboot).
6) Reload your saved Settings from that USB stick
7) Power cycle the player once more

This Reset procedure maximizes the odds the new firmware will work to best advantage.
--Bob
StanGeek, galonzo and Buckeye Dave like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #26435 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 02:54 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
Latest firmware update, I have noticed by Oppo freezing/hanging up when under the network tab then selecting my homerun hd and watching live channels through it that every now and then it will freeze up and I have to hard reset.

Anyone else notice this? I may be alone in pulling my homerun hd through my oppo network option lol... man I wish Homerun HD was able to figure out a way to make an app for the Roku. ^^;;
Freezes during streaming over the in-house network typically mean there's a problem with the setup for that network.

For example, if you have any devices anywhere on your network set to use fixed IP addresses, your router may be incorrectly assigning those same address to some other device.

I'd suggest you start by power cycling your network router so that it can build its assignment table afresh.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #26436 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGeek View Post
Hello,

Thanks.
No, switch back to Auto.

When you removed wall power from the player you forced it to do a complete reboot on the next power up -- the sort of thing you get with Standby Mode set to ENERGY EFFICIENT, but after losing wall power you also get this on the first, subsequent power up even if you have NETWORK STANDY set. That cleared out whatever problem was in place with the HDMI handshake.

2) Save your settings to a USB stick. See Setup > Device Setup > Settings Management
5) Power cycle the player (due to the Reset you just did, this will be an ENERGY EFFICIENT style power cycle -- i.e., a complete reboot).

This Reset procedure maximizes the odds the new firmware will work to best advantage.
--Bob
The fact that you have to tell people to do this after countless firmware updates makes me think Oppo should just fix this programmatically.

The update itself should perform some kind of reset/restore procedure and/or not force people to have to do this.
post #26437 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 03:00 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang84 View Post
Bob, can you comment on this? Thank you!

I have updated my Oppo 203 to the newest Beta. I like the new 4 HDR-->SDR conversion modes. However, when choosing the HDR Off (BT2020) mode and then displaying a 100% green pattern in DCI I still measure only a saturation green spot of 100% REC709 with my colorimeter. As the oppo 203 says that his output is in BT2020 and my projector also selects BT2020 I have to assume BT2020 is indeed transferred but actually only REC709 WITHIN that (instead of larger DCI). Would not be what I expect from that mode (larger color space should be preserved). When I choose HDR BT2020 I measure indeed 100% DCI green with my colorimeter.

btw: I tested it in movie scenes with very saturated colors shown in HDR mode. I never get the same saturation when choosing HDR Off BT2020, which would support my assumption that in fact only REC709 within BT2020 is transferred...
Which model of projector do you have. There are reports here, today of a Sony projector which is clipping BT.2020 color gamut when it arrives as part of a 4K SDR video stream.
--Bob

post #26438 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by weboperations View Post
The fact that you have to tell people to do this after countless firmware updates makes me think Oppo should just fix this programmatically.

The update itself should perform some kind of reset/restore procedure and/or not force people to have to do this.

I actually think it does guys. I did not do the whole reset and I turned on the OPPO the next day and bam, it was factory reset. I did nothing to prompt it. I though it was really weird but had to go back in and set everything up again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #26439 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 03:03 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weboperations View Post

In fact that's exactly what OPPO did with the 10x players in a firmware update about 1 year after they shipped. Those players now do a Reset and Restore automatically, in the background, using internal player memory, as part of each firmware install.

The install process is quite a bit different in the 20x players, but it would not surprise me if OPPO moves towards this solution again in the fullness of time.

For now, doing this reset process after EACH and EVERY firmware install is the best way to Keep the Odds Ever in Your Favor.
--Bob
stevenjw, Tom C, galonzo and 1 others like this.

post #26440 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 03:05 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswire View Post
I actually think it does guys. I did not do the whole reset and I turned on the OPPO the next day and bam, it was factory reset. I did nothing to prompt it. I though it was really weird but had to go back in and set everything up again.

Depending on how much older the firmware you are coming from, the player may need to do a Reset as part of the install, but that's not the normal case.
--Bob

post #26441 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Depending on how much older the firmware you are coming from, the player may need to do a Reset as part of the install, but that's not the normal case.

--Bob

I was on the beta. I was shocked and 100% confident I did nothing to prompt it. Didn’t do it right away but at some point while in standby mode after.

post #26442 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 03:09 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post
Hi guys,

Does anyone experiencing an issue with .ts video files with audio tracks with more than 8, for instance I have a Blue-Ray Remux .ts with 17 tracks, OPPO showing just first 8 out of 17. On PC it shows all 17 via MPC-HC
Usually this sort of thing is a problem in the tool you've used to author the file. Sometimes its the newer tool versions which are the culprits. You can run the MediaInfo utility on the file to see what it says is in there, and you can also get the file to OPPO Tech Support so they can see what's up.
--Bob
galonzo likes this.

post #26443 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 03:10 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
I was on the beta. I was shocked and 100% confident I did nothing to prompt it. Didn’t do it right away but at some point while in standby mode after.

If you see that again, get in touch with OPPO Tech Support. Your player may need Warranty service (e.g., failure of the Settings memory).

It's not the install that did that to you.
--Bob

post #26444 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
No, switch back to Auto.

--Bob
Thanks!

I did not do that because Oppo did not list that as an action to take and when I got the player, it did an update right away (day 1) and it worked well with no other reset.

Video - UHD TV: Sony 940E, UHD BD:Panasonic UB900, Samsung K8500, Oppo 203 Apple TV 4K
Audio - Yamaha CX-A5100 PrePro, Outlaw Audio Amps x 3, Polk Rti-A7s x 2, Rti-A5s x 4, 70RTs x 4, SVS PB16 Ultra x2
post #26445 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Would love to hear from them as well. Maybe their settings? Seeing the what they wanted to see? Always subjective in this hobby.

I haven't done any measurement with Calman and my C6 HDR meter yet. I used the color clipping pattern from the Masciola's UHD test patterns. What I expect to see is that all colors clipped at the same L. level. I see red and cyan do not reach the same level as white and other colors.

I calibrated when I had close to 40 hours on the lamp, and know that lamp is not stable until it reaches a 100 hours or so. I will recalibrate then and will do some more testing. For the time being, I will continue to use my custom curve.

Chris. My DVD UHD Blu Ray and Blu Ray collection jvc dla-rs2000, ST 130 (144") cinemascope screen, Carada Masquerade CIH masking system, B&W 803D2s mains, B&W HTM2D2 center channel, B&W 805D2 surrounds, B&W CCMM682s in-ceiling speakers (4), B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem AVM 60 processor, Parasound Halo A51+(2xA21)+(2xA23) amps, Panasonic UB820 player, Roku Ultra, vertex, and Harmony Elite remote.
post #26446 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 565
I've contacted Oppo Tech Support regarding my issues after updating to the Public firmware. My Nvidia Shield completely crashed this afternoon when I got home from work, and my TV also reset itself. Still no Lossless audio from Kodi or SPMC, while Plex seems to work fine, but my Shield crashing in the manner that it did is a cause for concern. It wouldn't even turn on after unplugging it, then plugging it back in. I had to wait about 2 minutes to plug it back in and restore any power to it. Removing the Oppo out of the equation will allow for the Shield to work fine, but adding the 203 back causes these issues.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #26447 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 03:46 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
I've contacted Oppo Tech Support regarding my issues after updating to the Public firmware. My Nvidia Shield completely crashed this afternoon when I got home from work, and my TV also reset itself. Still no Lossless audio from Kodi or SPMC, while Plex seems to work fine, but my Shield crashing in the manner that it did is a cause for concern. It wouldn't even turn on after unplugging it, then plugging it back in. I had to wait about 2 minutes to plug it back in and restore any power to it. Removing the Oppo out of the equation will allow for the Shield to work fine, but adding the 203 back causes these issues.
While waiting to hear back from OPPO I suggest you do a re-install of the firmware.

Download a fresh copy of the file for install from a USB stick. You'll find that on OPPO's support page for the firmware:

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-...e-56-0224.aspx

With that USB stick plugged in, go to Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Upgrade and select From USB.

When asked, confirm that you want to re-install.

After the re-install, do the Reset procedure I just described in my post above. Then test again.
--Bob
galonzo likes this.

post #26448 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Quote:
While waiting to hear back from OPPO I suggest you do a re-install of the firmware.

Download a fresh copy of the file for install from a USB stick. You'll find that on OPPO's support page for the firmware:

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-...e-56-0224.aspx

With that USB stick plugged in, go to Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Upgrade and select From USB.

When asked, confirm that you want to re-install.

After the re-install, do the Reset procedure I just described in my post above. Then test again.
--Bob
Thanks for the suggestion.

Oppo Tech Support has responded and they are aiding in Troubleshooting, so I'm going to hold off on reinstalling the firmware while they are helping out.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #26449 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
That's actually an issue with Copy Protection, and how strictly the Source device decides it wants to implement that.

Most 4K/HDR content is going to want HDCP 2.2 Copy Protection. HDMI is an end to end protocol, and so every device in the video chain has to be HDCP 2.2 compliant or the source won't send 4K/HDR into the video chain. What the source sends INSTEAD is up to the Source. ...
--Bob
Generally, yes.

However, specifically, the HDMI the source device handshakes with has to report as HDCP 2.2.

I think, but have not tested, that an HDFury Vertex with an HDCP 1.3 compliant device on the sink/display side can report HDCP 2.2 to the source device.

Not that I would necessarily recommend that. Using a Vertex gets one into a whole mess of other 'stuff' to deal with.
post #26450 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
Yamahas have a separate setting called "Extended Surround" that is enabled/disabled in the Options menu.

It is not a bug and can be changed. I've done it when I had an RX-A1030.
PioManiac has a 3050. The feature you speak of is not available on that model young man
PioManiac likes this.
post #26451 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 3286 Post(s)
Liked: 8220
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
Yamahas have a separate setting called "Extended Surround" that is enabled/disabled in the Options menu.

It is not a bug and can be changed. I've done it when I had an RX-A1030.
Not after 2014,

That is no longer an option on any Yamaha after the 1040 series from 2014
Definitely not in any of my 2015 model RX-3050 options menus, and does not appear in the user manual.
I've also checked the 3060 and 3070 (2016 and 2017 models) manuals.

I did find it in your old 1030 and 1040 PDF manual, but it's long gone now.

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/downloa...CRABGLF_En.pdf
Marc Drake likes this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #26452 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
Not after 2014,

That is no longer an option on any Yamaha after the 1040 series from 2014
Definitely not in any of my 2015 model RX-3050 options menus, and does not appear in the user manual.
I've also checked the 3060 and 3070 (2016 and 2017 models) manuals.

I did find it in your old 1030 and 1040 PDF manual, but it's long gone now.

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/downloa...CRABGLF_En.pdf
What do u think of the findings on the Oppo and the jvc color gamut? In all seriousness, I’m trying to understand the desaturation you were seeing the other day...I know u weren’t making it up...

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820
Triple black velvet batcave
post #26453 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post
I haven't done any measurement with Calman and my C6 HDR meter yet. I used the color clipping pattern from the Masciola's UHD test patterns. What I expect to see is that all colors clipped at the same L. level. I see red and cyan do not reach the same level as white and other colors.

I calibrated when I had close to 40 hours on the lamp, and know that lamp is not stable until it reaches a 100 hours or so. I will recalibrate then and will do some more testing. For the time being, I will continue to use my custom curve.
I am also using the latest FW and wanted to tets for myself what jetsen was seeing. Granted, I am not an ISF calibrator and have no tools other than Masciola patterns. My JVC has been prof calibrated by the one and only ChadB. While he was here he calibrated an SDR2020 profile as well as an HDR profile, but since I can only get 55 max nits. SDR2020 is my prefered viewing mode for UHD content.

Well, some intersting results imo. I honestly don't know what I'm looking for, or if it even matters. But I tossed up the color clipping patterns. Nothing looked abnormal, or wrong. In fact, white was clipping at exactly 4000 nits with Mode 3 - 400. Changing Modes and TL didn't really affect the clipping much. Worth noting was that Red clipped before any other color at around 1000 nits everything else (except for White) clipped at 2000 nits.

I don't know if the clipping levels change with actual content, but thats what I saw when viewing the Masciola color clipping pattern.

I rewatched some scenes from Lucy and was till impressed. I agree with @asharma that the PQ looks to have improved from beta FW to public release. I was experiencing a flicker in dark backgrounds on the John Wick 1 disc. This problem hasn't been eliminated, but has been greatly reduced. INTERESTING FACT: If I engage CMD Low (motion smoothing), the flickering black background is almost 100% eliminated.

Overall I am once again very happy with the Oppo and eager to see how they will continue improve the HDR Off Bt2020 mode. Wish I had a brighter display to take advantage of HDR bt2020,.. but this is a sacrifice I can live with.
stevenjw and asharma like this.

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
post #26454 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
What do u think of the findings on the Oppo and the jvc color gamut? In all seriousness, I’m trying to understand the desaturation you were seeing the other day...I know u weren’t making it up...

Also very interested.

post #26455 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You'll have to scroll back several pages, this thread moves fast!
The Coco menu screen? I'm pretty sure the photos I posted with the de-saturated image were from my OLED, not my JVC.
I guess my LG OLED has the same bug that the Sony Projectors have when receiving an SDR BT.2020 signal

It's not really a problem for LG, since its a fully capable HDR display and would never need SDR BT.2020 from an HDR source.
But Sony will need to find a solution for their Projectors, or users may need help from HDFury to get around it.

Several weeks ago I posted a series of screenshots from my JVC (that I don't dare post again ),
That clearly showed that with the Beta FW I was able to get three nearly identical screen shots of Charlize Theron from Atomic Blonde.

One with my UB900 and Custom Gamma Curve
One with the Oppo Off BT2020 Mode 3 TL 300 (iirc)
One with the Oppo in HDR Auto Mode with Custm Gamma Curve

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #26456 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You'll have to scroll back several pages, this thread moves fast!
The Coco menu screen? I'm pretty sure the photos I posted with the de-saturated image were from my OLED, not my JVC.
I guess my LG OLED has the same bug that the Sony Projectors have when receiving an SDR BT.2020 signal

It's not really a problem for LG, since its a fully capable HDR display and would never need SDR BT.2020 from an HDR source.
But Sony will need to find a solution for their Projectors, or users may need help from HDFury to get around it.

Several weeks ago I posted a series of screenshots from my JVC (that I don't dare post again ),
That clearly showed that with the Beta FW I was able to get three nearly identical screen shots of Charlize Theron from Atomic Blonde.

One with my UB900 and Custom Gamma Curve
One with the Oppo Off BT2020 Mode 3 TL 300 (iirc)
One with the Oppo in HDR Auto Mode with Custm Gamma Curve
Thanks man but didn’t u check red sat patterns Saturday and saw desaturation?

post #26457 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Would like to know if anyone that was having issues with the OPPO media control app has noticed fewer problems after the recent update?
I seem to notice far fewer crashes but perhaps I’m just not doing the same sequence of events that led to my earlier problems. Hopefully OPPO worked their magic.
post #26458 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 05:46 PM
Read the FAQ!

On the issue of HDR Off (BT.2020) output -- THE STORY SO FAR

To summarize, I believe this is where things stand:

1) It now appears the OPPO is working *PROPERLY* with the new, Official, 56-0224 firmware -- i.e., correctly preserving BT.2020 content when set to convert HDR BT.2020 content to SDR BT.2020 output, and

2) It appears that some displays do not render BT.2020 properly when it arrives as part of an SDR video stream.

The nature of that fault (2) in those displays is not nailed down yet -- and may differ between them. But it appears the displays found so far to exhibit this problem are rendering BT.2020 correctly WITHIN THE LIMITS of the BT.709 color gamut, but are clipping any BT.2020 saturations that attempt to exceed the BT.709 color gamut. Again, this is only when they are sent BT.2020 color as part of an SDR video stream.

It also remains to be seen whether there are settings available in any of those displays which might CURE this.

-------------------------------

For Newbies: The discussion here is about the best way for folks to view High Dynamic Range content (as from 4K UHD discs) if their displays don't handle HDR well. This is primarily an issue for folks with projectors, due to the light output limitations of their projectors.

In the new firmware, the OPPO offers a High Dynamic Range to Standard Dynamic Range conversion method which preserves Wide Color Gamut -- the BT.2020 Color Gamut -- from the content to the output. To select that, change HDR Auto to HDR Off (BT.2020) and also select an HDR to SDR Conversion Mode choice and Target Luminance setting to taste.

The alarm set off a few days ago was the discovery that on some such projectors, the BT.2020 being received from the OPPO seemed to cut off at the limits of the BT.709 Color Gamut (the range of color saturations found on HDTV content and on regular, 1080p, Blu-ray discs). Since this HDR OFF (BT.2020) conversion in the OPPO is *NEW*, the working assumption was that there was a pretty egregious bug in the new firmware, just released.

However, it's beginning to look like that is *NOT* the case. Again, that the OPPO is doing the right thing, but some displays are not taking proper advantage of the result!

But the key takeaway for MOST readers here is: If your display is HDR-capable, and does that well, you are not affected by all this kerfuffle.

At all.

Leave HDR set to Auto in the OPPO and enjoy the full HDR BT.2020 output when playing your UHD discs.

------------------------------------

For folks with projectors which appear to not be rendering SDR BT.2020 properly, the hunt should now be on for whether there are settings changes in the projectors that might cure this, or whether it is time to lobby for a projector firmware update.

In addition, we need some other, signal generator tests to verify the problem really is in the identified projectors.
--Bob

post #26459 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks man but didn’t u check red sat patterns Saturday and saw desaturation?
Only on the OLED, I never did load up a SONY disc once I put the JVC on later that day,
I just started watching Coco (with custom DVE curve) and never bothered checking any further.

When your significant other just wants to watch the movie (that's rare to begin with) they don't have the patience
or tolerance for running multiple test patterns and scrolling through settings menus.

(one of my motivating factors for the Vertex RS232 macro commands)
asharma and IMDave like this.

post #26460 of 37076 Old 03-05-2018, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Only on the OLED, I never did load up a SONY disc once I put the JVC on later that day,
I just started watching Coco (with custom DVE curve) and never bothered checking any further.

When your significant other just wants to watch the movie (that's rare to begin with) they don't have the patience
or tolerance for running multiple test patterns and scrolling through settings menus.

(one of my motivating factors for the Vertex RS232 macro commands)
I’m with ya on that rarity thaaang...and then when she does it’s Harry Potter...tooooo many characters for me...I just need a good car chase and a few explosions!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page