Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 884 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279180Likes

post #26491 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 05:42 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4647 Post(s)
Liked: 4496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister 0f Smeg View Post
Does this trick work for UHD Blurays as well so i could play BDMV folders from a NAS?

Also i have tried to find a utility called bdmv_modify but had no luck. Do you have a link?
The last time I tested UHD BDMV was working over SMB (and NFS, I presume) without using the modify utility. You just place it inside an AVCHD directory.

Note that DLNA does not generally support folder-based formats like BDMV.

As always when discussing this I warn people that the feature is not officially supported and may go away at any time. If the studios wake up and find people are using this loophole they will order OPPO to close it. Which they would have to do.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26492 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 05:45 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5835 Post(s)
Liked: 8319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
Just wondering, if it would it make any difference if the settings are saved before doing the firmware update?
I usually save the Settings prior to the firmware install, but except for a few rare cases where an install forces a Reset, I’ve not found or heard of a difference. The Settings restore after the firmware install is smart enough to deal with any differences.
—Bob
Sanjay likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #26493 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Drake View Post
PioManiac has a 3050. The feature you speak of is not available on that model young man
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
Not after 2014,

That is no longer an option on any Yamaha after the 1040 series from 2014
Definitely not in any of my 2015 model RX-3050 options menus, and does not appear in the user manual.
I've also checked the 3060 and 3070 (2016 and 2017 models) manuals.

I did find it in your old 1030 and 1040 PDF manual, but it's long gone now.

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/downloa...CRABGLF_En.pdf
You guys are correct. Here I was thinking I was clever.

That is super weird that they don't let you change that setting anymore.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas (circa 2012)

Currently watching on: JVC X790, 106" 0.8 Gain Screen, FireTV Stick 4K, PS4, Oppo 203, w/Marantz SR6011, 2 Outlaw M2200, Outlaw Model 5000, SVS Subs, Def Tech Speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26494 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
The last time I tested UHD BDMV was working over SMB (and NFS, I presume) without using the modify utility. You just place it inside an AVCHD directory.

Note that DLNA does not generally support folder-based formats like BDMV.

As always when discussing this I warn people that the feature is not officially supported and may go away at any time. If the studios wake up and find people are using this loophole they will order OPPO to close it. Which they would have to do.

-Bill
Thank you for this, i will give it a go. I hadn't tried placing it in an AVCHD folder (primarily because i don't understand it )
post #26495 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hello,

For those who own the drive, have you managed to install the latest firmware released on March 2? Ends with 00224.

The version I have is the previous one ending with 1127.

When I go to the settings and try to update via network, he tells me that I have the most recent ...

I also tried to put the file on a usb key and tried the function updated by usb key but it finds nothing ..

It's strange, I've never had trouble with my previous Oppo ...

I would like to benefit from the update for the new 4K setting ...

If someone has an idea?

Projector: JVC DLA-X770R | Screen: Stewart Filmscreen Cima Neve 2.35:1 125’’ Bluray: Oppo BDP-203 | Receiver: Arcam FMJ AVR-550
Speakers: Totem Forest (front) | Model 1 Signature (center) | Rainmaker (surround) | Mini Kin Flex (Atmos) Subwoofer: Funk Audio 18.0C
Light Control: Lutron Maestro | Remote: Harmony Elite
post #26496 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 06:49 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampat View Post
Hello,

For those who own the drive, have you managed to install the latest firmware released on March 2? Ends with 00224.

The version I have is the previous one ending with 1127.

When I go to the settings and try to update via network, he tells me that I have the most recent ...

I also tried to put the file on a usb key and tried the function updated by usb key but it finds nothing ..

It's strange, I've never had trouble with my previous Oppo ...

I would like to benefit from the update for the new 4K setting ...

If someone has an idea?
Could you post the complete firmware version your player has now? There are some variations most of us do not encounter and we need to know if that is the case here.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #26497 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1595 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntxoa View Post
Thanks for looking in to this.

So Oppo Info reports that it is outputting bitstream and not LPCM when receiving DD+?
My AVR LCD front panel is lighting up with "DD+" which I believe means the Oppo ois bitstreaming it to the AVR, and only at the AVR is it being decoded to LPCM...
post #26498 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Could you post the complete firmware version your player has now? There are some variations most of us do not encounter and we need to know if that is the case here.

-Bill
I will check later when I got home but i'm pretty sure is this one: UDP20X-54-1127

Projector: JVC DLA-X770R | Screen: Stewart Filmscreen Cima Neve 2.35:1 125’’ Bluray: Oppo BDP-203 | Receiver: Arcam FMJ AVR-550
Speakers: Totem Forest (front) | Model 1 Signature (center) | Rainmaker (surround) | Mini Kin Flex (Atmos) Subwoofer: Funk Audio 18.0C
post #26499 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
No, still sending information to Oppo Tech support about what's being reported for Audio using Plex, Kodi, and SPMC.

Plex is reporting the correct Passthrough Information regarding Atmos Files, which the Oppo sees as MLP. Using the same movies, both Kodi and SPMC see only see LPCM no matter the adjustments I make for those two apps. I was able to get my receiver to report Multi-Channel Audio 7.1 by increasing the number of Speakers within both Kodi and SPMC's Audio settings. This is using one single HDMI Connection back to the Receiver, rather than using one for Audio, and one for Video.

I did perform a reinstall of the Firmware and followed Bob Pariseau's instructions, but that did not fix anything. I tested the videos using the default settings after the firmware reinstall, with one adjustment to the "Passthrough"option for audio, and I also restored my custom settings via USB Drive, but again, no joy.
For reasons I can't fully explain, "the kinks" seemed to have *magically* worked themselves out, and everything was working properly for me last night. The initial update really threw my "setup" into a tizzy, all kinds of HDMI handshake issues, black screens, problems with my logitech powering on/off the OPPO with my Activities (that never happened), lip-sync timing issues with streaming Plex from my Shield, etc etc...

I don't think I found some magical "silver bullet" setting that fixed things. I think I just did the "settings reset" that Bob/others advised, and then rebooted both my Shield and my PMS-PC more than once... and somehow/someway, things seem to have returned to "normal" (but with better Picture Quality when watching SDR content with the Shield set to an HDR output).
post #26500 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 07:17 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2326
Quote:
Does this trick work for UHD Blurays as well so i could play BDMV folders from a NAS?
Yes, it works for UHD Blurays and as Bill mentioned, there's no need to run the bdmv_modify tool on UHD Blurays.

Quote:
Also i have tried to find a utility called bdmv_modify but had no luck. Do you have a link?
Do a Google search for "bdmv modifier 2.0" and it can be found in the 5th result (the hiendy link).
cTwining likes this.
post #26501 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't know *why* I'm seeing what I'm seeing, all I can say is that over the weekend I made the following two changes to my setup:
1) I updated my OPPO 203 to this latest-and-greatest firmware
2) Due to some instabilities/glitchy behaviour coming out of that firmware update, I did the "settings reset" (without also resetting my account information) that was recommended multiple times in this thread.

I have my nvidia shield connected to my OPPO 203 via HDMI in. Prior to doing those two things, if I had my Shield set to output 4k 10-bit 4:2:0 BT.2020 and then I streamed some 1080p SDR content like Dinotrux on Netflix (a children's cartoon with very vibrant animated colors; tye's reds are very bright red, etc), I would experience the "muted colors" that many often complain about when the Shield is set to exactly this sort of output and then used to stream SDR content. Tye's "reds" would be very muted, browner, almost taking on an orange tint. If I simultaneously streamed it on my Samsung Galaxy TabS tablet and held it up to my Sony 940E for a side-by-side comparison, the differences in the colors was stark. If I switched my Shield over to 1080p 8-bit 4:4:4 BT.709 (again, prior to this weekend), Tye's reds would look (to my eye) exactly the same as what I see on my tablet.

Since I did those two things this weekend, the colors I see when I stream Dinotrux with my Shield set to 4k 10-bit 4:2:0 BT.2020 look an awful lot like what I see on my tablet, which is an awful lot like what I see when my Shield is set to 1080p 8-bit 4:4:4 BT.709... the "issue" I was having (which many others who don't own OPPO 203's have shared) of washed out colors when viewing SDR content while set to an HDR output has basically disappeared.

I don't know why.
a) I don't know if it's something that was included in this firmware update.
b) I don't know if I was just multiple firmware versions behind prior to this weekend, and such a tweak/improvement was included in a previous update that I just never took.
c) I don't know if the act of resetting my OPPO/settings corrected something nefarious. Perhaps a user error on my part with my previous settings/configurations. That's possible. I personally think it's unlikely, but I can't rule it out.

I know @groove93 had been saying for a while now that he didn't see these color space problems with his Shield (which is also connected to an OPPO 203, which is connected to a very similar Sony tv as mine), and I'd never figured out why, but if the answer to my "why" question isn't a) but rather b) or c), I see now what he's been saying all along...

Tonight I'm gonna try to connect my Shield directly to my TV (bypassing the OPPO) and try to prove to myself that it is the OPPO that is in fact "adding value" here. Whether or not the value was added *this weekend* via this specific firmware update or not doesn't really matter to me... would be a FANTASTIC extra perk to owning a 203, though, if I could prove to myself that it's correcting another device's color space output problems the way I think it might be...

Last edited by psuKinger; 03-06-2018 at 07:40 AM.
post #26502 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsen View Post
It is with both as it has nothing to do with the Oppo firmware itself, the firmware is fine, but the problem is that the apparently Sony (and some other displays) do not allow SDR/BT2020 as an input at this point, they change the BT2020 into rec709.

I am looking further into this and have contacted sony already to see what can be done.
But when i choose Hdr off bt2020 mode 2 in oppo I see a different and better image than hdr off 709, how can it be 709? I hope you understand my bad english
post #26503 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Liked: 1797
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntxoa View Post
This is lossy Atmos from Chromecast to Oppo to AVR, and Oppo Info reports receiving DD+ and sending bitstream?

Thanks.
Mine is from my Roku P+ to Oppo (VUDU app), HDMI dual-split to display and AVR, and yes, Oppo reports source as DD+, sending bitstream 48kHz, and AVR reports ATMOS

edit: confirmed after updating to Official firmware, both with Atmos demos and a movie that has Atmos in the VUDU app.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4500H (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.4) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - Scarface and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)

Last edited by galonzo; 03-06-2018 at 08:42 AM.
post #26504 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 09:06 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemo62 View Post
But when i choose Hdr off bt2020 mode 2 in oppo I see a different and better image than hdr off 709, how can it be 709? I hope you understand my bad english
It appears what is happening is that the tested Sony projectors are correctly rendering BT.2020 (in an SDR input stream) but only within the limits of the BT.709 gamut. That is, for colors within the 709 limit, the 2020 rendering is correct. But 2020 colors which are more saturated than 709 can represent appear to be clipped to the 709 saturation limit.

Now the content was graded for 2020, but may make no or very little use of those more saturated colors. So keeping things in 2020 may still look better.

There’s also the possibility that the projector may simply be set up better for 2020 (notwithstanding its clipping bug) than for 709.

It’s ALSO possible that YOUR projector does not have this clipping problem! It may be you’ve found the magic settings to get it to render SDR BT.2020 completely correctly!
—Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #26505 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 175
New 203 owner here (less than 24 hours). I have tried to find this info to no avail. Is the 203 ARC feature capable of taking DD+/Atmos audio from the TV ARC and then transmitting it to a AVR on the sub/secondary audio only HDMI? I have this all set up and get no DD+ joy to my olden Denon 1909. All other sources of DD+/Atmos/DDTHD etc. work fine from player, HDMI input etc. I'm thinking that it is a limitation of my Vizio M55-E0 TV and not the Oppo? I have queries out on various threads on this. I have confirmation that the Vizio 2016 M series TVs support it, but no confirmation of the 2017 models which mine is. Based on how the TV acts I think it is the problem, but cool that this works. An extra little feature that I was not planning on.

BTW - this is the BEST piece of consumer a/v equipment I have ever purchased. Watched two movies before I updated the firmware (it was two releases behind) with no issues then updated it. Only issue I ran into was that somehow after the fw update the IR got switched to rear rather than front but the GUI said front. I could tell it was wrong when I had to point the remote at the 203. I of course did not heed Oppos recommendation to restore to factory settings after update. I will when I get home in hopes that will make DD+ over ARC work.

Not only is this thing amazing (the fw update took less than a min. including download as I have GigE) but it saved me a ton of clams not having to upgrade my AVR. My Denon does everything I want it to at this point (only have room and want 7.1 and of course the best audio and video available in the realm).

Input works without a hitch with my also newish Craptastic 4k DVR. Was watching The Olympics in 4k HDR10 on it immediately after install. Freaking incredible.
barryc46 likes this.
post #26506 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 10:17 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
. . . .
Looking at the Hairspray packaging online, it is labeled DTS-HD MA 5.1. Maybe they corrected it?
. . . .
That's the 1988 movie. I'm talking about the 2007 remake:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hairspray-Blu-ray/575/

I also see I mistakenly libeled Lions Gate last night. The studio that was notorious for jumping on this Speaker Presentation bandwagon prematurely was actually New Line. (I edited my original post on this, above.)

The 2007 Hairspray has been a pain in the neck from the beginning. It's been a while since I looked at it, but my recollection is that the packaging used to say 7.1, and the disc's menus also said 7.1. But the decoders identified it as 5.1 (due to the Speaker Presentation). This caused comments, and so the decoders were changed to identify it as 7.1 (without actually changing how the Speaker Presentation decoding happened).

The New Line animated logo that appears BEFORE top menu does NOT use Speaker Presentation for its audio. The New Line animated logo that appears at the start of the feature DOES use Speaker Presentation for its audio.

--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 03-06-2018 at 10:23 AM.
post #26507 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked: 2175
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
New 203 owner here (less than 24 hours). I have tried to find this info to no avail. Is the 203 ARC feature capable of taking DD+/Atmos audio from the TV ARC and then transmitting it to a AVR on the sub/secondary audio only HDMI? I have this all set up and get no DD+ joy to my olden Denon 1909. All other sources of DD+/Atmos/DDTHD etc. work fine from player, HDMI input etc. I'm thinking that it is a limitation of my Vizio M55-E0 TV and not the Oppo?
No device can act as a repeater for ARC audio. You can't pass ARC from your TV back to the Oppo over the video only HDMI connection and then expect the Oppo to send that audio out its Audio Only output to the AVR.

The only way to get ARC audio is directly from the TV to the AVR (or Soundbar).

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 03-07-2018 at 05:25 AM.
post #26508 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 10:34 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
I will check later when I got home but i'm pretty sure is this one: UDP20X-54-1127
If you purchased your OPPO from a Bang and Olufsen dealer (there's at least one in Canada doing this), the firmware in it is a special release made by OPPO for B&O, and the updated Official firmware will take a short while to become available to install on top of that -- much as is the case with the overseas firmware releases. You'll be able to tell this is the case because there will be some extra letters in the Main firmware version number, such as BO or EU.

If you purchased your OPPO from someone who shipped it to you with hacked firmware (as, for example, to provide Region Free for Blu-ray discs without having to add any hardware), the updated firmware will need to come from them.

If neither of those would seem to be the case, then try downloading the firmware for install via a USB stick from OPPO's support page for this firmware release. The instructions are also found on that page:

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-...e-56-0224.aspx

If that TOO fails to install (e.g., with an error message such as file missing or corrupt) then do a Reset Factory Defaults on the OPPO (see Setup > Device Setup > Reset), power it Off and back On again, and try once more with the USB stick. If still no joy, get in touch with OPPO Tech Support.
--Bob
Terrymcfadd likes this.

post #26509 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Anyone using an Apple TV with a projector and the OPPO for the tone mapping? I hear the Apple TV is the only device that will work with the HDMI in on the OPPO and correctly let it convert HDR BT.2020 to SDR BT.2020?
cemo62 likes this.
post #26510 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
If you purchased your OPPO from a Bang and Olufsen dealer (there's at least one in Canada doing this), the firmware in it is a special release made by OPPO for B&O, and the updated Official firmware will take a short while to become available to install on top of that -- much as is the case with the overseas firmware releases. You'll be able to tell this is the case because there will be some extra letters in the Main firmware version number, such as BO or EU.

If you purchased your OPPO from someone who shipped it to you with hacked firmware (as, for example, to provide Region Free for Blu-ray discs without having to add any hardware), the updated firmware will need to come from them.

If neither of those would seem to be the case, then try downloading the firmware for install via a USB stick from OPPO's support page for this firmware release. The instructions are also found on that page:

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-...e-56-0224.aspx

If that TOO fails to install (e.g., with an error message such as file missing or corrupt) then do a Reset Factory Defaults on the OPPO (see Setup > Device Setup > Reset), power it Off and back On again, and try once more with the USB stick. If still no joy, get in touch with OPPO Tech Support.
--Bob
The code is 20XUSBO-54-1127

yes i purchase it from Fillion Electronic, Bang and Olufsen dealer

I have to wait the next firmware, i dont any other solution?

Thanks again
Terrymcfadd likes this.

post #26511 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 10:59 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
The code is 20XUSBO-54-1127

yes i purchase it from Fillion Electronic, Bang and Olufsen dealer

I have to wait the next firmware, i dont any other solution?

Thanks again
Yes, you’ll have to wait. But it should only be a few days. OPPO Tech Support may be able to give you a more precise date.
—Bob

post #26512 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Yes, you’ll have to wait. But it should only be a few days. OPPO Tech Support may be able to give you a more precise date.
—Bob
Ok thanks.

Haaaaaaaaaarg I was ready to try all my new electronics and see what the 4K as to offer, the picture is horrible right now, I presume it will be much better with the update...

post #26513 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 11:09 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Ok thanks.

Haaaaaaaaaarg I was ready to try all my new electronics and see what the 4K as to offer, the picture is horrible right now, I presume it will be much better with the update...
It shouldn't be horrible. Tell us again about your setup, what display and OPPO video settings you are using.

-Bill
galonzo likes this.

post #26514 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Thanks Oppo

Hi all, projector guy here..

Used the latest beta and just upgraded to the latest standard firmware. Being able to send HDR to the pj as SDR using the BT2020 color worked like a champ.

Played one of my known good 4Ks on it last night and it was incredible.. Thanks to Dave Harper & oledurt (Epson Thread) and Bob and Bill from this thread for all your hard work and help..

I'm a very happy camper.. (New to the pj stuff)
galonzo likes this.

Nice Stuff!
post #26515 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
New 203 owner here (less than 24 hours). I have tried to find this info to no avail. Is the 203 ARC feature capable of taking DD+/Atmos audio from the TV ARC and then transmitting it to a AVR on the sub/secondary audio only HDMI? I have this all set up and get no DD+ joy to my olden Denon 1909. All other sources of DD+/Atmos/DDTHD etc. work fine from player, HDMI input etc. I'm thinking that it is a limitation of my Vizio M55-E0 TV and not the Oppo? I have queries out on various threads on this. I have confirmation that the Vizio 2016 M series TVs support it, but no confirmation of the 2017 models which mine is. Based on how the TV acts I think it is the problem, but cool that this works. An extra little feature that I was not planning on.

BTW - this is the BEST piece of consumer a/v equipment I have ever purchased. Watched two movies before I updated the firmware (it was two releases behind) with no issues then updated it. Only issue I ran into was that somehow after the fw update the IR got switched to rear rather than front but the GUI said front. I could tell it was wrong when I had to point the remote at the 203. I of course did not heed Oppos recommendation to restore to factory settings after update. I will when I get home in hopes that will make DD+ over ARC work.

Not only is this thing amazing (the fw update took less than a min. including download as I have GigE) but it saved me a ton of clams not having to upgrade my AVR. My Denon does everything I want it to at this point (only have room and want 7.1 and of course the best audio and video available in the realm).

Input works without a hitch with my also newish Craptastic 4k DVR. Was watching The Olympics in 4k HDR10 on it immediately after install. Freaking incredible.
Most TV arc and SPDIF out limit what is output unless your TV is capable of sending a compressed, untouched signal from the source. If your tv can do this there will be a setting for it in sound settings.You may want to try the SPDIF output if it is a coaxial cable but most likely it will only output PCM.

Meridian Audio G65 Sound Processor/UHD 722 HDMI Audio Processor/M6 Active Speakers, Sony A1E 65" OLED 4k UHD, Apple TV, Sony UBP-X1100ES
post #26516 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
It shouldn't be horrible. Tell us again about your setup, what display and OPPO video settings you are using.

-Bill
I did not really play with setting. Its new for me....the picture with a regular Bluray is fantastic, mode natural with my JVC X770 projector, but the HDR mode is dull compared

I will search on the forum to find basic setting that a could adjust on the Oppo, mode 1,2 or 3, with the ajustment of brightness contrast etc...

post #26517 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and i have a dilema that i would like some help with if someone has already tried this. I would like to purchase a multi disk USB device (as i already have plenty of drives) to play my UHD Bluray rips on my OPPO-203. It plays the rips fine from individual USB drives but i am reluctant to purchase a multi drive system without knowing if it will work or not. It needs to be a USB system as the player doesn't recognise full UHD rips from my NAS (i'm sure there is a good reason for that). With USB the rips play as if there was a disk in the drive which is what i am after.

I have searched the forums and cannot find anyone who has asked the same question.

There are quite a few multi drive USB systems and i have been looking at a device called 'Yottamaster Aluminum Alloy 5 Bay 3.5 Inch USB3.1 Gen1 Type-C RAID External HDD Enclosure SATA3.0 Support 5x10TB & UASP -Silver'.

Any assistance that anyone can give would be much appreciated.

Thank you in anticipation.
I've been down that road trying to find a multi-disc USB enclosure for JBOD drives. I found it very difficult to find a reliable external HDD bay that's reliable and stays connected. The last one I tried and returned was the latest Mediasonic. All seem to have some bad reviews and most don't work with work Linux either. Most seem to use a Jmicron chip which limits them and likely the weak link. I was trying to find one that would work with Android based media players and the Oppo, so this didn't work and I returned it. I also found that RAID enclosures don't work either, at least not Synology (which I like) because even though it says that it supports JBOD, it requires any drive to be formatted when added. Mine already had data on them, so that's wasn't an option.

I ended up using the internal bay on my Zappiti for one 8 TB drive. I opened up a WD Easystore (NESN model from Thailand with 256 cache) which contains a Red drive. These go on sale often at BB for $159 and there's a Youtube video that shows how to easily open them up for the drive. I tried a cheap external USB Seagate 8TB for $150, but it would disconnect when not used (very annoying) and only had a 1 year warranty. I don't much like Seagate, so I returned it. I bought more WD Easystore drives and connected them via USB individually. The Zappiti also recognizes drives connected to an attached USB hub, which are cheap. I haven't needed to go that route yet, but it's good to know it's an option if I need to expand. The Zappiti builds its poster wall from multiple sources, so it really doesn't matter how many individual drives I attach. It's transparent unless I use the Explorer function.

I'm not sure if the Oppo also supports drives attached via a cheap USB hub, but if so, that's the route I recommend. For me, I don't use the Oppo for USB attached drives or network. I find the Zappiti works better and has a much more user friendly UI (and poster wall) than the Oppo. I still get the benefits of the Oppo tone mapping by hooking it up to the HDMI-in port, but with no need to modify folder structures, etc. It supports .iso files too!

...Steve
"Opinions are like orgasms… mine matters most and I really don’t care if you have one or not." ;)

My HT gear
post #26518 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
What is the advantage of routing the media player through the Oppo's HDMI input, instead of directly outputting the media player to the display or Pre/Pro or AVR?
I do it solely to take advantage of the Oppo's tone mapping for UHD. Don't see any other reason, but it's a great one for me.
Sanjay and galonzo like this.

...Steve
"Opinions are like orgasms… mine matters most and I really don’t care if you have one or not." ;)

My HT gear
post #26519 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylee123 View Post
Anyone using an Apple TV with a projector and the OPPO for the tone mapping? I hear the Apple TV is the only device that will work with the HDMI in on the OPPO and correctly let it convert HDR BT.2020 to SDR BT.2020?
I'm using the Apple TV thru Oppo's HDMI in and have been very happy with the results. I have the Oppo output resolution set to custom UHD HDR (preferred the image to source direct as it's up-converting from 8 bit to 12 bit ), and the Apple TV set to 4K SDR with "range" and "frame" matching on.

Depending on the content, I then only need to switch picture inputs on the JVC (X770).

HDR content...
JVC user 1 [color profile: bt2020, temp: 6500k, gamma custom 1 (2.4 correction), auto iris 2]

SDR content...
JVC user 2 [color profile: standard, temp: 6500k, gamma custom 1 (2.4 correction), auto iris 2]

I'm sure that's more information than you were hoping for, but to answer your question, SDR bt2020 from the Apple TV looks to be working as advertised. I'm very happy to be an Oppo owner finally.
guptown likes this.
post #26520 of 37253 Old 03-06-2018, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbn008 View Post
I'm using the Apple TV thru Oppo's HDMI in and have been very happy with the results. I have the Oppo output resolution set to custom UHD HDR (preferred the image to source direct as it's up-converting from 8 bit to 12 bit ), and the Apple TV set to 4K SDR with "range" and "frame" matching on.

Depending on the content, I then only need to switch picture inputs on the JVC (X770).

HDR content...
JVC user 1 [color profile: bt2020, temp: 6500k, gamma custom 1 (2.4 correction), auto iris 2]

SDR content...
JVC user 2 [color profile: standard, temp: 6500k, gamma custom 1 (2.4 correction), auto iris 2]

I'm sure that's more information than you were hoping for, but to answer your question, SDR bt2020 from the Apple TV looks to be working as advertised. I'm very happy to be an Oppo owner finally.
Perfect, thank you. One question, you say that you have the Apple TV set to 4K SDR, would that not prevent it from sending an HDR signal?
cemo62 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page