Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 885 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279151Likes

post #26521 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylee123 View Post
Perfect, thank you. One question, you say that you have the Apple TV set to 4K SDR, would that not prevent it from sending an HDR signal?
As long as you have the range match on, it will output HDR when content contains HDR metadata. If you set the default to 4K HDR, the ATV will then attempt to up-convert SDR content as well.
galonzo and cemo62 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26522 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2315 Post(s)
Liked: 2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylee123 View Post
Anyone using an Apple TV with a projector and the OPPO for the tone mapping? I hear the Apple TV is the only device that will work with the HDMI in on the OPPO and correctly let it convert HDR BT.2020 to SDR BT.2020?
I would say that the Apple TV is the most difficult to get to work with the Oppo HDMI input. My Samsung K8500 UHD player and Chromecast Ultra were both easier. The Oppo tone mapping works with any HDR10 input; there is nothing special about the Apple TV in this regard.

Currently I have both my ATV4K and Samsung K8500 connected to my Oppo with a HDFury Vertex acting as a 4K HDCP 2.2 input switch.
galonzo and cemo62 like this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 03-06-2018 at 01:37 PM.
post #26523 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
I would say that the Apple TV is the most difficult to get to work with the Oppo HDMI input. My Samsung K8500 UHD player and Chromecast Ultra were both easier. The Oppo tone mapping works with any HDR10 input; there is nothing special about the Apple TV in this regard.

Currently I have both my ATV4K and Samsung K8500 connected to my Oppo with a HDFury Vertex acting as a 4K HDCP 2.2 input switch.
It has been difficult for me as far as the Apple TV through the input but seems to work fine for some people. I still can't get it to work directly in the Oppo after trying several things. I did however get it to work so far through my HDFury Linker finally. It didn't work originally but I swapped one of my cables coming from the Linker and now it works fine so far. I know the Linker can be difficult with certain cables so I tried it and that seems to have solved it.

Last edited by Hawks07; 03-06-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26524 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
No device can act as a repeater for ARC audio. You can't pass ARC from your TV back to the Oppo over the video only HDMI connection and then expect the Oppo to send that audio out its Audio Only output to the AVR.

The only way to get ARC audio is directly from the TV to the AVR (or Soundbar).
Wow! Quite the active thread. Gonna be fun. I'm not here to argue the point but you are WRONG on both points. I currently have this set up and it is working fine. I get DD5.1 from the TV through the Oppo ARC input mode and then it sends it to my AVR on the secondary audio only HDMI. Not only does it work with the TV apps but it also works with the other inputs to the TV. Last night I was watching Alien in DTheater on one of my JVC D-VHS decks that have HDMI out. Both DD5.1 and DTS5.1 passed through HDMI4 on the TV out the ARC and into my AVR with no problem. I know it is working since the Oppo is connected to the HDP HDMI2 port on the AVR and the optical is on the TV/CABLE source that only has optical programed and no HDMI. What I am not getting is DD+ out of the TV so that is what I am asking is if any of you know if the ARC Input of the Oppo AND the HDMI audio only out is capable of DD+. I know that the audio out is as I get it with my cable box which is connected to the Oppo input, discs that have it and also a olden Roku that outputs DD+. The part in question is the ARC channel into the Oppo and of course electronics and code to take it from there and output it.

Also there are many extractors and ingesters/inserters that deal with ARC now. I have found a few but none of them do EXACTLY what I want to do and it turns out the Oppo does it and I had no clue until I fiddled and read the manual. I have in route some SP/DIFF inserters to HDMI but I already know they won't work since rarely do they license any thing more than DD5.1 in that realm and PCM and DTS which we have on optical anyway. There are derivations of optical and coax SP/DIFF that support more advanced things however my Denon is not one that can accept them. I had hopes that my TV was doing some more advanced things, but I'm fooling myself.

Last edited by mr.kludge; 03-06-2018 at 02:16 PM.
post #26525 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbn008 View Post
As long as you have the range match on, it will output HDR when content contains HDR metadata. If you set the default to 4K HDR, the ATV will then attempt to up-convert SDR content as well.
That makes sense, thanks!

Quote:

What makes the Apple TV so difficult? I have a shield but I heard that it doesn't like the HDMI in also.
post #26526 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks07 View Post
It has been difficult for me as far as the Apple TV through the input but seems to work fine for some people. I still can't get it to work directly in the Oppo after trying several things. I did however get it to work so far through my HDFury Linker finally. It didn't work originally but I swapped one of my cables coming from the Linker and now it works fine so far. I know the Linker can be difficult with certain cables so I tried it and that seems to have solved it.
Out of interest, have you tried resetting the Apple TV’s video settings via its menu option? I was having all sorts of trouble with it connected to the Oppo, but after I did that it’s been great.
post #26527 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring5 View Post
Most TV arc and SPDIF out limit what is output unless your TV is capable of sending a compressed, untouched signal from the source. If your tv can do this there will be a setting for it in sound settings.You may want to try the SPDIF output if it is a coaxial cable but most likely it will only output PCM.
Thanks. I was using SP/DIFF and I get both DD5.1 from the built in TV apps and DD5.1, DTS (even some lossy sudo HD ones) and PCM (2ch) from the other inputs. My TV has "auto", "Dolby", "PCM" and "bitstream" options. Set to bit stream I still don't get DD+ despite the TV reporting receiving it or Atmos. I don't see why they would indicate those if the TV is unable to output them. Sure it is decoding them and that is great but at least give me the best possible out the ARC, please!. At this point I don't know if it is the TV or the Oppo but if I were a betting man it would fall on the TV. Hoewever the 2016 Vizios have DD+ and Atmos out their ARCs so I assume the 2017s would also. Factory reset is in order for TV and Oppo. All FW is up to snuff.
post #26528 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddawson View Post
Out of interest, have you tried resetting the Apple TV’s video settings via its menu option? I was having all sorts of trouble with it connected to the Oppo, but after I did that it’s been great.
I did, I think it may have been you that suggested it, but it didn't work. After about 5 minutes of the screen cutting in an out, screens with snow and black screens, the Apple TV will work and I can play something. But as soon as I go back to the menu it will completely go black or if I pause a movie and go back it will stutter. What's weird is sometimes even if I power the Oppo on and off after getting a black screen, it still won't come back to life. The only way to get it to work is to plug the Oppo into a different HDMI input on my AVR.
I noticed this same behavior even with Blu Ray playback right after the latest firmware update. I had to do a soft reset with my AVR and that seems to have fixed Blu Ray playback but still no luck with the Apple TV.
post #26529 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 02:51 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5828 Post(s)
Liked: 8302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks07 View Post
I did, I think it may have been you that suggested it, but it didn't work. After about 5 minutes of the screen cutting in an out, screens with snow and black screens, the Apple TV will work and I can play something. But as soon as I go back to the menu it will completely go black or if I pause a movie and go back it will stutter. What's weird is sometimes even if I power the Oppo on and off after getting a black screen, it still won't come back to life. The only way to get it to work is to plug the Oppo into a different HDMI input on my AVR.
I noticed this same behavior even with Blu Ray playback right after the latest firmware update. I had to do a soft reset with my AVR and that seems to have fixed Blu Ray playback but still no luck with the Apple TV.
What you are describing sounds like a problem with marginal HDMI cabling. Keep in mind that HDMI is an end to end protocol, so every cable/gadget/device/adapter/wall-plate/etc. in the entire length of the signal path should be suspect.

The Apple TV 4K does a lot of HDMI handshakes -- particularly when set to preserve frame rate and video dynamic range. It doesn't take much for the copy protection check to fail, for example. Copy protection on HDMI is finicky by design. It LIKES to fail.
--Bob
galonzo likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #26530 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
Thanks. I was using SP/DIFF and I get both DD5.1 from the built in TV apps and DD5.1, DTS (even some lossy sudo HD ones) and PCM (2ch) from the other inputs. My TV has "auto", "Dolby", "PCM" and "bitstream" options. Set to bit stream I still don't get DD+ despite the TV reporting receiving it or Atmos. I don't see why they would indicate those if the TV is unable to output them. Sure it is decoding them and that is great but at least give me the best possible out the ARC, please!. At this point I don't know if it is the TV or the Oppo but if I were a betting man it would fall on the TV. Hoewever the 2016 Vizios have DD+ and Atmos out their ARCs so I assume the 2017s would also. Factory reset is in order for TV and Oppo. All FW is up to snuff.
It't the TV. Finally confirmed by Vizio. Apparently their 2016 M series was DD+ capable on ARC but the 2017s are not. Shame since it has all the capabilities. It's decoding DD+ and Atmos just not outputting it.
post #26531 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
What you are describing sounds like a problem with marginal HDMI cabling. Keep in mind that HDMI is an end to end protocol, so every cable/gadget/device/adapter/wall-plate/etc. in the entire length of the signal path should be suspect.

The Apple TV 4K does a lot of HDMI handshakes -- particularly when set to preserve frame rate and video dynamic range. It doesn't take much for the copy protection check to fail, for example. Copy protection on HDMI is finicky by design. It LIKES to fail.
--Bob
I have ruled that out. All cables doing HDR/DV are brand new high speed certified cables (including the one that came with the Oppo which I use from it to the TV). Anything dealing with the AVR is either 1.4 high speed or olden 1.3 certified and running lossless high resolution audio codecs and 1080p video now anyway In the case of TV<->Oppo<->Cable box and soon to be fully capable HDR/DV switch those are all brand new certified cables also with no issues passing audio or video at the highest qualities. Anyway I know now that it is the TV that is likely at fault. Hopefully Oppo will give me an answer as I have an E-mail into them. The manual is rather vague on it's ARC capabilities and apparently a feature not even really understood here.

Oh also none of my cables are long. The longest is the one that came with the Oppo. All others are 4' or less. Mostly Monoprice but I also have a stack of high speed Comcast provided ones that are certified for use with their 4k DVR STB and a couple that came with my 4k/HDR/DV/2.2/2.0b full bandwidth switch. Those are probably the most suspect but seem to work just fine.
post #26532 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 03:23 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
I have ruled that out. All cables doing HDR/DV are brand new high speed certified cables (including the one that came with the Oppo which I use from it to the TV). Anything dealing with the AVR is either 1.4 high speed or olden 1.3 certified and running lossless high resolution audio codecs and 1080p video now anyway In the case of TV<->Oppo<->Cable box and soon to be fully capable HDR/DV switch those are all brand new certified cables also with no issues passing audio or video at the highest qualities. Anyway I know now that it is the TV that is likely at fault. Hopefully Oppo will give me an answer as I have an E-mail into them. The manual is rather vague on it's ARC capabilities and apparently a feature not even really understood here.

Oh also none of my cables are long. The longest is the one that came with the Oppo. All others are 4' or less. Mostly Monoprice but I also have a stack of high speed Comcast provided ones that are certified for use with their 4k DVR STB and a couple that came with my 4k/HDR/DV/2.2/2.0b full bandwidth switch. Those are probably the most suspect but seem to work just fine.
The sweet spot for HDMI cable length is actually 6 feet (2 meters). It is pretty commonly known that long HDMI cables can cause problems, but less commonly known that short cables can too. Unlike with Analog audio interconnects, with HDMI it is NOT the case that shorter is always better.

You may be right that the TV is causing the problem. This stuff is devilishly difficult to diagnose. But with excessive handshakes and black screen reports my FIRST thought would be to look to the cables. A few points:

1) HDMI is friction fit, and it only takes a small shift of plug in socket to screw things up.

2) New cables are MORE susceptible to problem (1) because of packaging kinks in the cables causing tugging on the plugs in sockets.

3) All cables have mechanical tolerances. Sometimes even a new cable will fail simply because the mechanical fit of plug and socket is not as good as with an otherwise identical replacement cable.

My first step given what you reported would be to simply go along the ENTIRE length of the signal path and unplug / re-plug each HDMI plug in its socket, checking along the way that each plug is fully inserted straight into the socket with nothing (e.g., cable weight or cable kinks) tugging on it in any direction.

Ideally these days, EVERY HDMI cable in the signal path should be HDMI Ultra HD Premium Certified, even if you are not running 4K/HDR video along that length of cable. The Premium Certified cables are simply the best so far for design specs and testing protocols. Even on the lower bandwidth connections, using a Premium Certified cable minimizes issues that can arise during the handshake and copy protection checks (which are low bandwidth communications running on the cable).

--Bob
galonzo, Hawks07 and Madmax67 like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #26533 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post
I do it solely to take advantage of the Oppo's tone mapping for UHD. Don't see any other reason, but it's a great one for me.
Sounds like a good enough reason. By 'tone mapping' you mean setting the Oppo to output 'HDR off - BT2020'. Right? So how exactly does this work? What output settings do you have the media player setup to?

Epson EH-TW8300 (5040UB); Elite Screen Saker 16x9 135" | Samsung 64F8500 Plasma TV
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray (All) | Egreat A10 Media Player | Sony PS4 (A) | Sony PS3 (A)
Marantz AV8802A (Pre-Pro) | Emotiva XPA-7 (Power) | Denon AVR5800 (Power 4xHeight )
Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v2 | Paradigm Reference Prestige 55C | Tannoy Mercury M5 | SVS Ultra Bookshelf (Rear) | Community Pro CS8 (4xHeight) | Paradigm Reference Servo15
post #26534 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The sweet spot for HDMI cable length is actually 6 feet (2 meters). It is pretty commonly known that long HDMI cables can cause problems, but less commonly known that short cables can too. Unlike with Analog audio interconnects, with HDMI it is NOT the case that shorter is always better.

You may be right that the TV is causing the problem. This stuff is devilishly difficult to diagnose. But with excessive handshakes and black screen reports my FIRST thought would be to look to the cables. A few points:

1) HDMI is friction fit, and it only takes a small shift of plug in socket to screw things up.

2) New cables are MORE susceptible to problem (1) because of packaging kinks in the cables causing tugging on the plugs in sockets.

3) All cables have mechanical tolerances. Sometimes even a new cable will fail simply because the mechanical fit of plug and socket is not as good as with an otherwise identical replacement cable.

My first step given what you reported would be to simply go along the ENTIRE length of the signal path and unplug / re-plug each HDMI plug in its socket, checking along the way that each plug is fully inserted straight into the socket with nothing (e.g., cable weight or cable kinks) tugging on it in any direction.

Ideally these days, EVERY HDMI cable in the signal path should be HDMI Ultra HD Premium Certified, even if you are not running 4K/HDR video along that length of cable. The Premium Certified cables are simply the best so far for design specs and testing protocols. Even on the lower bandwidth connections, using a Premium Certified cable minimizes issues that can arise during the handshake and copy protection checks (which are low bandwidth communications running on the cable).

--Bob
Thanks for the tips. The things you mention are ALWAYS the first thing I do and I've been doing this for a very long time (over 40 years in the a/v and IT biz). I have also NEVER had an issue with HDMI since I always do the stuff required. The switch I have is another story but a replacement is on it's way. Locking up and not due to cables or sources but some issue with a component that the manufacture is aware of and fixed in the latest rev.

And I beg to differ on cable cost/quality etc. I like the better designed and built cables but as I always say if you are buying your cables from ANYWHERE than Monoprice you are likely wasting your money. There is NOTHING in the current HDMI specs that require anything more than a "high speed" certified cable. As you mention though there are things that can go wrong. I always straighten out cables and get the kinks out before use and keep caps on when not in use to help with corrosion, dust, bending etc. and keep them in air tight bags. First I have EVER heard of short cables causing issues but some of this new fangled HDR and evolving stuff is pretty complicated and new. The new HDMI 2.1 with eARC AND UP TO 10K looks like it going to turn everything upside down.

Oh and it is for sure the TV. It just isn't capable of what I want to accomplish. It only cost $400 so I can't complain ;-) If I want it all I will have to grab that $1,500 LG OLED that I was drooling over when I found this one.
post #26535 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 04:09 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. The things you mention are ALWAYS the first thing I do and I've been doing this for a very long time (over 40 years in the a/v and IT biz). I have also NEVER had an issue with HDMI since I always do the stuff required. The switch I have is another story but a replacement is on it's way. Locking up and not due to cables or sources but some issue with a component that the manufacture is aware of and fixed in the latest rev.

And I beg to differ on cable cost/quality etc. I like the better designed and built cables but as I always say if you are buying your cables from ANYWHERE than Monoprice you are likely wasting your money. There is NOTHING in the current HDMI specs that require anything more than a "high speed" certified cable. As you mention though there are things that can go wrong. I always straighten out cables and get the kinks out before use and keep caps on when not in use to help with corrosion, dust, bending etc. and keep them in air tight bags. First I have EVER heard of short cables causing issues but some of this new fangled HDR and evolving stuff is pretty complicated and new. The new HDMI 2.1 with eARC AND UP TO 10K looks like it going to turn everything upside down.

Oh and it is for sure the TV. It just isn't capable of what I want to accomplish. It only cost $400 so I can't complain ;-) If I want it all I will have to grab that $1,500 LG OLED that I was drooling over when I found this one.
OK, on your TV diagnosis. For the cables, Premium Certified does not have to be expensive. Both Monoprice and Blue Jeans cable sell reasonably priced cables of this type.

There is a real difference between the snake oil of the exotic (high priced) HDMI cables and the Premium Certified program. The design and testing specs promulgated by HDMI.ORG for their Premium Certified program are their best yet. They cover all sorts of things better than the prior generation of "High Speed" HDMI cables, including even things like mechanical robustness in the face of bending of the cable. Although it may not make a difference in your situation, I don't want to leave this unstated: Anybody buying an HDMI cable today for *ANY* reason should be looking to get a Premium Certified cable -- at a reasonable price of course.

What's going on with the shorty cables is as follows:

HDMI is just a cheap, twisted pair copper, electric transport. The signals ARE going to degrade as they pass along the length of the cable. What makes the cables still work -- even in the face of today's higher bandwidth signals -- is equalization algorithms built into the transmitter and receiver chips at either end.

Those algorithms attempt to counter the cable-length-related signal degradation. And to DO that, they need to make some assumptions about how much degradation is likely to occur.

And the assumptions have 6 foot length built into that model.

So longer cables have MORE degradation, but still close enough, and short cables have LESS degradation, but not so MUCH less as to cause problems.

Nevertheless, 6 foot length is the sweet spot. Just as some people will have no problems with their long cables, other folks will have no problems with their short cables. But using a 6 foot long cable whenever possible maximizes your odds.
--Bob
galonzo and Greg TB like this.

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 03-06-2018 at 04:27 PM.
post #26536 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2315 Post(s)
Liked: 2170
Quote:
Wow! Quite the active thread. Gonna be fun. I'm not here to argue the point but you are WRONG on both points. I currently have this set up and it is working fine. I get DD5.1 from the TV through the Oppo ARC input mode and then it sends it to my AVR on the secondary audio only HDMI. Not only does it work with the TV apps but it also works with the other inputs to the TV. Last night I was watching Alien in DTheater on one of my JVC D-VHS decks that have HDMI out. Both DD5.1 and DTS5.1 passed through HDMI4 on the TV out the ARC and into my AVR with no problem. I know it is working since the Oppo is connected to the HDP HDMI2 port on the AVR and the optical is on the TV/CABLE source that only has optical programed and no HDMI. What I am not getting is DD+ out of the TV so that is what I am asking is if any of you know if the ARC Input of the Oppo AND the HDMI audio only out is capable of DD+. I know that the audio out is as I get it with my cable box which is connected to the Oppo input, discs that have it and also a olden Roku that outputs DD+. The part in question is the ARC channel into the Oppo and of course electronics and code to take it from there and output it.
I had forgotten that the Oppo had that ARC input option.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #26537 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:

In addition to "Premium Certified", not merely 'high speed', strangely enough having *too short* of a cable can also cause a problem. 6' appears to be what most HDMI electronics are tuned for.

ATM, *all* my interconnects are with 6' cables. Even in spots where 1' is all that's needed. I've had dead solid HDMI performance after adopting the policy that all cables are "Premium Certified" (other than the 75' fiber optic to the projector) and 6' lengths.

== edit
And I see that Bob already made all those points if I had only read to the end before posting this reply to you.

atta-boy, Bob. You're a great asset to the community, thank you. (Your first TY from me, but I've silently benefited from your contributions before.)
aguy, galonzo, Greg TB and 1 others like this.

Last edited by CrazyEddie; 03-06-2018 at 06:15 PM.
post #26538 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
Sounds like a good enough reason. By 'tone mapping' you mean setting the Oppo to output 'HDR off - BT2020'. Right? So how exactly does this work? What output settings do you have the media player setup to?
Yes, the new HDR Off BT.2020 feature with four modes and working target luminescence selector. This feature is really useful for projectors, especially NIT limited ones. If you're using a display that supports HDR, use HDR Auto. If you have a JVC, using this option is a good alternative to creating and/or importing custom gamma curves and doing the tone mapping in the projector. With this setting, you're using BT.2020 filter and gamma 2.4 in the JVC. You also don't need an HDFury product to avoid the automatic selection of the aweful HDR gamma D preset and the disabling of the dynamic lens in a JVC (not sure if this is still required for their newer models). Apparently, this tone mapping in the Oppo does not work on some (all?) Sony projectors.

I set the player to HDR Off BT.2020, mode 3, target lum 300, and use the iOS app to tweak from there real-time. I set my JVC RS500 to enable the (BT.2020) P3/DCI filter along with gamma 2.4, DI auto 2 and lamp high. I have a larger, scoped screen and lack any spare NITs, so this feature in the Oppo works very well for my UHD needs. Your settings should be based on your environment and setup. There's a lot of searchable information in this thread too, but if you have a projector and the Oppo 203, give it a try. It doesn't cost you anything, but some time.

As for the media player, I don't have to make any adjustments to it. It works over the HDMI-in the same as it does directly connected to my AVR which was how I previously had it hooked up (but not for long).
Bytehoven, asharma, atabea and 1 others like this.

...Steve
"Opinions are like orgasms… mine matters most and I really don’t care if you have one or not." ;)

My HT gear

Last edited by stevenjw; 03-07-2018 at 12:56 PM.
post #26539 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone know that the impact and wear and tear leaving this on most of the time and just passing stuff through? I mostly watch TV but one of the reasons I got the Oppo is to front end my TV and AVR and be able to get the best quality from everything. TV only has one HDR/DV input and AVR is olden and 1.31. My guess is that it is low impact. Playing movies all the time would wear out the loader. Any problem just keeping it on ALL the time?

It's expensive and only has a 2-year warranty (he says ONLY ;-) don't want to kill it.
post #26540 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 06:52 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4637 Post(s)
Liked: 4484
Quote:
Anyone know that the impact and wear and tear leaving this on most of the time and just passing stuff through? I mostly watch TV but one of the reasons I got the Oppo is to front end my TV and AVR and be able to get the best quality from everything. TV only has one HDR/DV input and AVR is olden and 1.31. My guess is that it is low impact. Playing movies all the time would wear out the loader. Any problem just keeping it on ALL the time?

It's expensive and only has a 2-year warranty (he says ONLY ;-) don't want to kill it.
I would guess you are correct about low impact.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #26541 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1356 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Has anyone made a comparison of the oppo 203 on a jvc rs440 rs540 rs640 x590 x790 x990 versus the Jas v3 custom curve? If yes, which target luminance value and mode is closest to the v3 performance?

Thanks

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - Panasonic UB820 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
post #26542 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 294
[QUOTE=mr.kludge;55806838...... I get DD5.1 from the TV through the Oppo ARC input mode and then it sends it to my AVR on the secondary audio only HDMI. Not only does it work with the TV apps but it also works with the other inputs to the TV. ..... Both DD5.1 and DTS5.1 passed through HDMI4 on the TV out the ARC and into my AVR with no problem. ................ what I am asking is if any of you know if the ARC Input of the Oppo AND the HDMI audio only out is capable of DD+.
QUOTE]

Am I correct that the signal to the AVR via this route (Oppo out to ARC hdmi in on TV, and audio out from Oppo hdmi to AVR) is higher quality than the optical out from the TV to the AVR? Are there any settings in the Oppo that I need to change to allow this to work?
Thanks,
Mark

System
Spoiler!
post #26543 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1839 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
Has anyone made a comparison of the oppo 203 on a jvc rs440 rs540 rs640 x590 x790 x990 versus the Jas v3 custom curve? If yes, which target luminance value and mode is closest to the v3 performance?

Thanks
@woofer might know...I’m “guessing” Mode 3, 300 or 400 nits...
Bytehoven likes this.

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820, Triple black velvet batcave
125" 2.35 Stewart Cima Neve Tab Tensioned Electric
post #26544 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:

--Bob
That might actually be my problem, never really thought about it. All my cables are 3 feet long, might have to grab a 6 footer for the Apple TV and try that out. Thanks.

Last edited by Hawks07; 03-06-2018 at 07:40 PM.
post #26545 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=markmanner;55808660]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge;55806838...... I get DD5.1 from the TV through the Oppo ARC input mode and then it sends it to my AVR on the secondary audio only HDMI. Not only does it work with the TV apps but it also works with the other inputs to the TV. ..... Both DD5.1 and DTS5.1 passed through HDMI4 on the TV out the ARC and into my AVR with no problem. ................ what I am asking is if any of you know if the ARC Input of the Oppo AND the HDMI audio only out is capable of DD+.

Am I correct that the signal to the AVR via this route (Oppo out to ARC hdmi in on TV, and audio out from Oppo hdmi to AVR) is higher quality than the optical out from the TV to the AVR? Are there any settings in the Oppo that I need to change to allow this to work?
Thanks,
Mark
It will only be better IF your TV outputs anything better than DD5.1 in that scenario I.E. DD+/Atmos when given that codec by apps in it. Otherwise it should be identical. Lip sync may or may not be better or could even be worse. I noticed that when I was feeding my DVHS VCR into the TV and using ARC that it was worse than via optical so there must be some delay.

I can't find ANY settings that control this feature other than the regular switch to ARC input, wait for it to connect the change the TV input to what you want to watch. Of course options you select in the HDMI audio out section will affect format AND quality.
post #26546 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked: 3083
Quote:

As long as you don't leave a disc in the drive, there's no "wear" at all.
galonzo likes this.
post #26547 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 1555
Quote:

Uh huh.... tell that to the pile of cables lots of us have gone through at 25 feet. What you say may be true to under 15-20 feet but simply isnt true for 25 feet and over.
What cable works for someone, doesnt for another with the same gear sometimes. Its a PITA for sure.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #26548 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
My AVR LCD front panel is lighting up with "DD+" which I believe means the Oppo ois bitstreaming it to the AVR, and only at the AVR is it being decoded to LPCM...
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
Mine is from my Roku P+ to Oppo (VUDU app), HDMI dual-split to display and AVR, and yes, Oppo reports source as DD+, sending bitstream 48kHz, and AVR reports ATMOS

edit: confirmed after updating to Official firmware, both with Atmos demos and a movie that has Atmos in the VUDU app.
Thanks for the details, guys.

I’m trying to make sure I can do lossy Atmos from the Vudu app on my Shield, and lossless Atmos from 3D MKVs on my PC. Both bitstreamed through the Oppo.
galonzo likes this.

Nvidia Shield - Zidoo X9S - HTPC/MPC-HC
Oppo 203 - Samsung HW-N950 - 7.2.4
LG 86UH9500
post #26549 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Official 56-0224 Firmware is now live for Australian OPPO users via built-in player download.
galonzo and therecanbeonly1 like this.

Yamaha RX-A3060 7.1.4 Receiver [+Sony Power Amp for Rear Height] / Sony KD-65Z9D / JVC HD1 DILA Projector / 90" screen / OPPO UDP-203 UHD blu-ray / Apple TV 4K
Ascension Summoner 3-way Front Speakers / Ascension 3-way Centre Speaker / Peachtree D5 Surrounds / Yamaha NS-555 3-Way Rear Speakers / ERA D4 x 4 Height Speakers / Rythmik Audio F15HP Sub
post #26550 of 37216 Old 03-06-2018, 11:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 2216
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
@woofer might know...I’m “guessing” Mode 3, 300 or 400 nits...
Yep, Mode 3 400 nits is VERY close to Javs V3 1200 Nit curve..

400 Nits is what i consider minimum if you have the brightness..... 300 Nits and below induces to much highlight clipping.
asharma likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page