Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 942 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 280417Likes

post #28231 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
I think you should invest a little time in understanding what is involved in the FW update. It’s ok, and with the Oppo you get plenty of pactice.

I’d suggest a USB memory stick, then your method doesn’t rely on any network connection [other than the one to download via your PC to memory stick). This method allows Beta FW too. And you can also use it for saving your settings.

Oppo will send a disc, but it is such a moving target, I’d only use that if you are unable to use any of the other methods.
I don't even know how to use the USB stick. I guess stick it in the USB port on the front of the computer and that is as far i know what to do. I have no clue how to make the comupter do the rest . I would guess go to the OPPO site and hit download firmware? Then remove the stick and stick it in the back of the OPPO?

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28232 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddawson View Post
What do you use for streaming if not the Apple TV?
Shield TV for Google Play, Amazon, Vudu, Kodi (local blu ray / dvd rips) all at 1080 out.

Oppo also is a great option for playing back MKV (and other) local content. DVD deinterlacing is stellar on the Oppo, very good on the Shield, and just plain bad on the ATV (using MrMC or Infuse).

(Note that Vudu app on Shield currently is "broken" because it outputs video that is slightly too dark compared to everything else - who knows when / if Vudu will fix it... but you can "Cast" to the Shield from Vudu app and the level is correct - only via App is it too dark...)

With the JVC being essentially a 1080p PJ anyway, that's where I find myself now - 1080 SDR.

HDR is dodgy because of some banding at 24p 12bit (ATV is better here), but since I'm thinking about moving away from HDR this isn't really an issue ATM.

Shield does 24p correctly, which is important for me.

4K 60 output doesn't have the banding issue 24p does (I think it's 10 bit at 4K60?) if you're OK without 24p.
post #28233 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 06:26 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 4820 Post(s)
Liked: 4769
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
I guess OPPO can't send a firmware disc like the old days. Well once i have a cable hooked up what then? Go to the OPPO site and download the update i guess?
This is all explained in detail in the manual and at OPPO's support pages. We are eager to help you, but it would help us if you studied those resources first.

-Bill
stevenjw and Bill Mac like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28234 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have just purchased my Oppo 203 and from prior browsing on this thread, I know that this has been mentioned before but I have not seen any solution or recent discussion.

When I use the Analogue out with RCA leads for Stereo listening of CD's to make full use of the Oppo's DAC I get audio drop-outs during playback, which I see is caused by the HDMI handshaking going on in background (in fact if I turn on the TV during playback it is very bad until the TV is sync'd and I see the Oppo screen). I have already purchased the HDMI CEC blocking adapter (one on the Oppo HDMI to TV and one on TV to AVR) as Sony Bravia does not have any way to turn off CEC. But unless the TV is on, this still happens. I also tried using Pure Audio to blank the TV screen - is this the only way?

Does anyone know if Oppo are working on a solution or is this just accepted - I paid extra for the Oppo DAC and would like to use it as such?
Crazytrekker and galonzo like this.

Panasonic TX-65GZ950B, Sony HT-G700, Oppo UDP-203, Musical Fidelity M3i, Marantz SR7013, 5.1.2 - Dali Oberon 5, Oberon Vokal, Oberon 1, Alteco C-1, BK P12-300SB-PR, Apple TV 4K, Sky Q (UHD/Atmos), Sky Fiber (80/20).
post #28235 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
This is all explained in detail in the manual and at OPPO's support pages. We are eager to help you, but it would help us if you studied those resources first.

-Bill
I have now. I asked for a firmware disc to be sent. Not like i really need a update anyways. I never stream or use apps and all that crap. I have a OPPO83 that has never been updated since i got in 2011. Just wished it was like the 90's when things were simple and VCR's ruled.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #28236 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 06:34 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 5925 Post(s)
Liked: 8488
Quote:
I guess OPPO can't send a firmware disc like the old days. Well once i have a cable hooked up what then? Go to the OPPO site and download the update i guess?
Simpler than that. Once you have the player live on your house Internet connection it should report on Power Up that an update is available and ask you if you’d like it installed. The whole process goes quite quickly.

AFTER the firmware update I recommend you do a Reset Factory Defaults (see Setup > Device Setup) and then turn the player Off and back On again before restoring any personal settings.

(You can speed even that up by saving your Settings to a USB stick for reload after the Reset, but you’d need a USB stick for that. See Setup > Device Setup > Settings Management.)
—Bob
galonzo likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #28237 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 06:41 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_64 View Post
I have just purchased my Oppo 203 and from prior browsing on this thread, I know that this has been mentioned before but I have not seen any solution or recent discussion.

When I use the Analogue out with RCA leads for Stereo listening of CD's to make full use of the Oppo's DAC I get audio drop-outs during playback, which I see is caused by the HDMI handshaking going on in background (in fact if I turn on the TV during playback it is very bad until the TV is sync'd and I see the Oppo screen). I have already purchased the HDMI CEC blocking adapter (one on the Oppo HDMI to TV and one on TV to AVR) as Sony Bravia does not have any way to turn off CEC. But unless the TV is on, this still happens. I also tried using Pure Audio to blank the TV screen - is this the only way?

Does anyone know if Oppo are working on a solution or is this just accepted - I paid extra for the Oppo DAC and would like to use it as such?
This is a problem with some newer Sony TVs. They are generating periodic, bogus HDMI traffic while the TV is “Off”. This requires the OPPO to do an HDMI handshake, and that forces the signal to mute briefly.

As an alternative to Pure Mode in the OPPO, you can use the Display Off button on the Sony remote. Just remember to reverse that when you want to use the TV normally.
—Bob
galonzo likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #28238 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks Bob.

I just find it hard to accept that the HDMI handshake affects the DAC output - so this is not something that Oppo can fix?

Panasonic TX-65GZ950B, Sony HT-G700, Oppo UDP-203, Musical Fidelity M3i, Marantz SR7013, 5.1.2 - Dali Oberon 5, Oberon Vokal, Oberon 1, Alteco C-1, BK P12-300SB-PR, Apple TV 4K, Sky Q (UHD/Atmos), Sky Fiber (80/20).
post #28239 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 06:52 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Thanks Bob.

I just find it hard to accept that the HDMI handshake affects the DAC output - so this is not something that Oppo can fix?
I don’t see how. Mute mutes everything and the handshake requires a Mute.

Anything they do to concoct a special workaround for these Sony TVs risks screwing up stuff with other TVs.
—Bob
galonzo likes this.

post #28240 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Simpler than that. Once you have the player live on your house Internet connection it should report on Power Up that an update is available and ask you if you’d like it installed. The whole process goes quite quickly.

AFTER the firmware update I recommend you do a Reset Factory Defaults (see Setup > Device Setup) and then turn the player Off and back On again before restoring any personal settings.

(You can speed even that up by saving your Settings to a USB stick for reload after the Reset, but you’d need a USB stick for that. See Setup > Device Setup > Settings Management.)
—Bob
I don't think i will ever have it hooked up to the net. Never done that with any thing i have owned. I may one day buy a long cable and hook it up to the cable modem but even that will be pushing it. I have a OPPO 83 that has never been updated since 2012 and a 103 i have never updated and i needed a update that i could ever tell. I just sent OPPO a e mail asking for a firmware disc. I don't do BD live or stream or apps so i guess i can live without any updates just fine.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #28241 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2498 Post(s)
Liked: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddawson View Post
That's what you'd think but is there any way to know for certain that it's not just taking a 4K DV/HDR stream and converting it to 1080p SDR? ... Then the Apple TV does the tone mapping I suppose, which seems to result in a more consistent result. Or trust that 1080p uses an SDR stream that won't result in any mapping at all.
Yes -- but I'd suggest checking in the ATV thread.
galonzo likes this.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X4700H/LG C8
post #28242 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 07:24 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
I don't think i will ever have it hooked up to the net. Never done that with any thing i have owned. I may one day buy a long cable and hook it up to the cable modem but even that will be pushing it. I have a OPPO 83 that has never been updated since 2012 and a 103 i have never updated and i needed a update that i could ever tell. I just sent OPPO a e mail asking for a firmware disc. I don't do BD live or stream or apps so i guess i can live without any updates just fine.
If you look in the first post of the 83 thread, the 103 thread, and this thread, you can see the most important bug fixes that were included in each firmware update between where you are now (in each player) and the most recent firmware. (There are other bug fixes as well, that did not make those lists.)

*A LOT* of the bug fixes have to do with producing better results from discs. So even if you don't stream content within your house network, or use Internet apps on the 103, my recommendation would be that you at least think about updating the firmware for the 3 players.

For the 203, you don't have to leave it hooked up to the Internet. You can unplug that Ethernet cable after you've done any given firmware update. It's just that a network install is the easiest and fastest way to do a firmware update.

--Bob
gsr, Bill Mac, mbroadus and 4 others like this.

post #28243 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Quote:
If you look in the first post of the 83 thread, the 103 thread, and this thread, you can see the most important bug fixes that were included in each firmware update between where you are now (in each player) and the most recent firmware. (There are other bug fixes as well, that did not make those lists.)

*A LOT* of the bug fixes have to do with producing better results from discs. So even if you don't stream content within your house network, or use Internet apps on the 103, my recommendation would be that you at least think about updating the firmware for the 3 players.

For the 203, you don't have to leave it hooked up to the Internet. You can unplug that Ethernet cable after you've done any given firmware update. It's just that a network install is the easiest and fastest way to do a firmware update.

--Bob
+1

And can use USB to update instead of waiting for a disc from Oppo.

Mike

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (051820 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
post #28244 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
I update my electronic devices regularly and in some cases use beta updates, and I have never had a 'disaster'. I know that using beta updates (which of course you don't have to do) can cause some glitches from time to time, but on balance keeping my devices updated has been a clear positive for me. As an example, I enjoy Dolby Vision on my A1E, and that required an update. I also like the modern home theater audio codecs like ATMOS and DTS-X, etc., all of which required updating. There are a lot of other examples in my experience. Do you use follow the same practice with your cellphone and home computer? I am not criticising, just curious?
Best,
Mark

System
Spoiler!
post #28245 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
But firmware updates have also fixed problems caused by new 'features' the studios have added when they created discs. This means that the player can have trouble with playing some discs at all prior to updating the firmware.

It is really quite simple to set up either wireless or wired networking on the player or using a USB stick to update the firmware. If you have doubts about doing this yourself, perhaps you have a savvy friend (or neighborhood kid ) who can walk you through the process. You will be glad you did this in the end. I know some people are reluctant to play with newer technology, but in this case it is well worth it.
galonzo likes this.

post #28246 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Aren't there discs that won't play properly without the latest firmware?
galonzo likes this.
post #28247 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 07:39 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2165 Post(s)
Liked: 2729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post
+1

And can use USB to update instead of waiting for a disc from Oppo.
I feel like I'm watching Groundhog Day. The other poster has said a number of times that he has no clue how to "use" a USB stick. Though upgrading with a USB stick really is pretty simple if the instructions on Oppo's site are following, plugging in a network cable is definitely the easiest option.
galonzo likes this.
post #28248 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 31
@Russ_64 ,

Quote:
When I use the Analogue out with RCA leads for Stereo listening of CD's to make full use of the Oppo's DAC I get audio drop-outs during playback, which I see is caused by the HDMI handshaking going on in background (in fact if I turn on the TV during playback it is very bad until the TV is sync'd and I see the Oppo screen).
Please turn the Sony TV on, but then command "picture off" through the Action Menu. (My 930E has a PIC_OFF button on the remote.) The drop-outs should stop. Bob Pariseau explained this somewhere. He has explained _everything_ somewhere.

Quote:
I have already purchased the HDMI CEC blocking adapter
I doubt that will help. The handshake is HDMI/HDCP (digital rights management), not HDMI/CEC (nearly-standard remote control).

Quote:
Does anyone know if Oppo are working on a solution or is this just accepted ?
It's a Sony issue. Sony Android TVs wake, demand a handshake, and go back to sleep. Oppo can't ignore digital rights management rules.

Carl
galonzo and Russ_64 like this.
post #28249 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
Aren't there discs that won't play properly without the latest firmware?
I have never had a disc that won't play and i have never done firmware updates but one time on a Pioneer Elite 05 FD BD player years ago with a disc sent to me from Pioneer. Firmware updates scare me on bricking my players. All the Sony A1E OLED owers are crying the latest firmware has bricked their OLEDS and they are having dimming problems now. I have never updated my Sony 65" A1E and don't plan on ever updating it.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #28250 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have never had a disc that won't play and i have never done firmware updates but one time on a Pioneer Elite 05 FD BD player years ago with a disc sent to me from Pioneer. Firmware updates scare me on bricking my players. All the Sony A1E OLED owers are crying the latest firmware has bricked their OLEDS and they are having dimming problems now. I have never updated my Sony 65" A1E and don't plan on ever updating it.
That is your prerogative of course, but I would mention that my A1E is updated, and does DV very well, and the dimming isn't observable to me (I am not a gamer). I think you will be missing some things that you might like. Your TV is really nice and does look really great on DV material.
Best,
Mark
jb442386 likes this.

System
Spoiler!
post #28251 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I feel like I'm watching Groundhog Day. The other poster has said a number of times that he has no clue how to "use" a USB stick. Though upgrading with a USB stick really is pretty simple if the instructions on Oppo's site are following, plugging in a network cable is definitely the easiest option.
Well i sure can't get my wireless modem to work with the 203, tried the pass word two times and nothing. So that is out. One day when i am brave i will buy a USB stick and or a cable and go that route. For now i am fine with all 4 of my players as they play anything i throw at them. Most of what i watch is old 60's and 70's TV shows. Only have one UHD disc Planet earth 11 and no plans to buy anymore unless thet are in the $10 and cheaper bin at Best buy. If anything OPPO can send me update disk for the 83's 103 and 203.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #28252 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmanner View Post
That is your prerogative of course, but I would mention that my A1E is updated, and does DV very well, and the dimming isn't observable to me (I am not a gamer). I think you will be missing some things that you might like. Your TV is really nice and does look really great on DV material.
Best,
Mark
Well when DNice comes he can USB it for me when he does his calibration. I see your avatar. I have two Lunt solar scopes that give a image like that. Telescopes is my game not all this computer crap of today.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #28253 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 63
One of the updates for the 203 gave the player the Dolby Vision update, if your not updating your hardware with the latest firmware you are missing out big time!
mbroadus likes this.
post #28254 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well when DNice comes he can USB it for me when he does his calibration. I see your avatar. I have two Lunt solar scopes that give a image like that. Telescopes is my game not all this computer crap of today.
Hi, I'll send you a pm with my somewhat dated astronomy website. Nice to make the connection.
Mark

System
Spoiler!
post #28255 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmanner View Post
Hi, I'll send you a pm with my somewhat dated astronomy website. Nice to make the connection.
Mark
I just bought another Lunt 50mm solar scope today at a blow out price of $499.
markmanner likes this.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #28256 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboarules View Post
One of the updates for the 203 gave the player the Dolby Vision update, if your not updating your hardware with the latest firmware you are missing out big time!
I don't even know what DV does. I am happy with 1080P as it is so i don't know what DV would add. Maybe more colors? I watch Cable and OTA - HD and old tv shows on DVD and BD so not sure what DV will do for me and my type of viewing.
Madmax67 likes this.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #28257 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 08:17 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboarules View Post
The firmware he's on (for the 203) is not that old. It is the PRIOR Official version. So he's already got Dolby Vision.
--Bob

post #28258 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The firmware he's on (for the 203) is not that old. It is the PRIOR Official version. So he's already got Dolby Vision.
--Bob
But what does DV do? Just add more colors? My Sony A1E does not have the update so i guess it don't matter. I just use my OLED just like i did my Kuro and 60vt60, disc, OTA-HD and cable. So not sure if DV would help me with my kind of viewing. I am guessing DV helps with UHD disk only?
john fusco likes this.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #28259 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
But what does DV do? Just add more colors?
There's plenty of information regarding Dolby Vision (dynamic HDR) available on the internet if you look for it....

Edit: Some of which can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-d...o#Dolby_Vision

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 04-15-2018 at 09:32 AM.
post #28260 of 38833 Old 04-15-2018, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
There's plenty of information regarding Dolby Vision (dynamic HDR) available on the internet if you look for it....

Edit: Some of which can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-d...o#Dolby_Vision
Pretty much like i said, won't do me much good as i may never buy another UHD disc unless they are dirt cheap. Just about everything i watch is 60 and 70's TV shows and local news. Not much into movies at all.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page