Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 958 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279320Likes

post #28711 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 12:44 AM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
I have an Oppo 981 and previously had a 103. I just gave into the AVS peer pressure and picked up a 203

Great build quality and amazing remote control with cool backlighting. I watched Batman vs Superman UHD without any issues.

However, when I'm in the main menu, the screen keeps blinking every couple of seconds. Is this a handshake issue with my Marantz 7704 prepro and Vizio P65 4K TV? What remedies can I try? Thanks.
Make sure your HDMI chain is entirely "Certified Premium" cables with this copy proof logo on the package.
mbroadus, galonzo and Greg TB like this.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.

Last edited by htwaits; 04-26-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28712 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 01:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 1471
[quote=jimshowalter;56096028]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Since forever, Oppo has offered DSD bitstreaming over HDMI. Sony's restrictions apply to SPDIF only. In fact, the BDP-103/103D/105/105D can actually rip an SACD via network connection using a special hack.

Well that's interesting.

What equipment can receive and decode the DSD bitstream on the receiving end?
Back in either HDMI version 1.3 or 1.4 the ability to pass DSD in digital form over HDMI was introduced. Both sending and receiving devices have to meet the HDMI version spec and the receiving device is not allowed to pass the DSD digital stream to another device which doesn't meet the same specification. That pretty well limits the equipment which can receive and decode the DSD bitstream to AV receivers and AV pre-processers.

There is another digital connection, I2S, which can now also be used to pass a DSD bitstream under similar conditions. The only device I am aware of using that connection is the PS Audio Memory Player disc transport which can pass the bitstream to PS Audio DACs using that connection.

So there are now some very tightly controlled and limited strategies for disc players to be able to output a DSD bitstream from a SACD to another device. It is also possible to stream downloads in DSD format over other digital connections but that is from files stored on a hard drive, not from a SACD disc.
galonzo likes this.
post #28713 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 02:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 1889
@Ricky . As @htwaits indicated, make sure your cable is good to go with what was provided in the link. I got mine a few weeks ago, and thru my Denon was having an issue with the Roku, got a brand new 6' cable, and now no more flashing blue screen.
"When in doubt, swap the cable out"
galonzo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28714 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 02:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Quote:
Since forever, Oppo has offered DSD bitstreaming over HDMI. Sony's restrictions apply to SPDIF only. In fact, the BDP-103/103D/105/105D can actually rip an SACD via network connection using a special hack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post
Well that's interesting.

What equipment can receive and decode the DSD bitstream on the receiving end?
See here: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...-yes-its-true/

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
post #28715 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 02:56 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 270
[quote=David Aiken;56096670]
Quote:
Back in either HDMI version 1.3 or 1.4 the ability to pass DSD in digital form over HDMI was introduced. Both sending and receiving devices have to meet the HDMI version spec and the receiving device is not allowed to pass the DSD digital stream to another device which doesn't meet the same specification. That pretty well limits the equipment which can receive and decode the DSD bitstream to AV receivers and AV pre-processers.

There is another digital connection, I2S, which can now also be used to pass a DSD bitstream under similar conditions. The only device I am aware of using that connection is the PS Audio Memory Player disc transport which can pass the bitstream to PS Audio DACs using that connection.

So there are now some very tightly controlled and limited strategies for disc players to be able to output a DSD bitstream from a SACD to another device. It is also possible to stream downloads in DSD format over other digital connections but that is from files stored on a hard drive, not from a SACD disc.
It was HDMI v 1.2 which introduced DSD signal transfer ability. I know, because I had the Yamaha RX-V2700 which had v1.2 and could accept DSD from my OPPO DV-980H SACD/DVD-Audio player.
David Aiken, AVfile and galonzo like this.

Yamaha RX-A3060 7.1.4 Receiver [+Sony Power Amp for Rear Height] / Sony KD-65Z9D / JVC HD1 DILA Projector / 90" screen / OPPO UDP-203 UHD blu-ray / Apple TV 4K
Ascension Summoner 3-way Front Speakers / Ascension 3-way Centre Speaker / Peachtree D5 Surrounds / Yamaha NS-555 3-Way Rear Speakers / ERA D4 x 4 Height Speakers / Rythmik Audio F15HP Sub
post #28716 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 05:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven29da View Post
Thank you, then I'll put it this evening with me and test it again
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
The output of the oppo is set to

HDR off (bt2020)
Output resolution = Custom
Custom Resolution = UHD Auto
Color Space= Auto
Color Depth= Auto

With these settings and the q10 set to output 2160/24 444, I get SDR Bt2020 444 on my JVC projector...
Hello,
I can now give the following feedback:

I can as written the HiMedia Q10Pro on 4: 4: 4 change, however, must change for it the HiMedia of 2160/60 on 2160/30 but I got then also only Rec709 and no BT2020 from the Oppo.

Now I have set the Oppo output setting as with you everything on "Auto" and I now get BT2020 output. Thus thank you very much for the suggestion !!!
Does that mean the Oppo will output a wrong color signal if you set the output to 4: 2: 2 10bit.

At least I can now watch movies with correct colors.

The Oppo USA support has also answered me because of my 6 problems and I'm in contact. The Oppo SUK support can be forgotten, in the USA very fast and competent !!!

Apparently it was really programmed in the Oppo that you have to turn on the Oppo only with the front IR receiver only then with the rear receiver to be able to control the Oppo. Is indeed made really stupid, but maybe they change it because otherwise I do not need an Oppo in the 19 "cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	444 12Bit OK.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	2395760  
asharma likes this.
post #28717 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 05:09 AM

@asharma

One question please still -> do you get the Nits in the extended info display when playing a UHD movie from HiMedia through the Oppo?
post #28718 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Hello,
I can now give the following feedback:

I can as written the HiMedia Q10Pro on 4: 4: 4 change, however, must change for it the HiMedia of 2160/60 on 2160/30 but I got then also only Rec709 and no BT2020 from the Oppo.

Now I have set the Oppo output setting as with you everything on "Auto" and I now get BT2020 output. Thus thank you very much for the suggestion !!!
Does that mean the Oppo will output a wrong color signal if you set the output to 4: 2: 2 10bit.

At least I can now watch movies with correct colors.

The Oppo USA support has also answered me because of my 6 problems and I'm in contact. The Oppo SUK support can be forgotten, in the USA very fast and competent !!!

Apparently it was really programmed in the Oppo that you have to turn on the Oppo only with the front IR receiver only then with the rear receiver to be able to control the Oppo. Is indeed made really stupid, but maybe they change it because otherwise I do not need an Oppo in the 19 "cabinet.

If I understand your update correctly, it sounds like everything is now working for you with the q10 set to 444 and the Oppo set to hdr off bt2020 which will output sdr bt2020 444...is that correct?

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820, Triple black velvet batcave
125" 2.35 Stewart Cima Neve Tab Tensioned Electric
post #28719 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 3122
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
I need to up my understanding of what my Denon 6200 reports. I just played a dsf file and the 203 reports DSD 2.8224MHz as expected. The 203 is set to bitstream DSD. The 6200 reports the input signal as DSD 88.2KHz. Perhaps it's the sample rate of the 6200 but I believe Audyssey samples at 48KHz. I also set the 6200 to DSD Direct as well as turning off Audyssey but the status info provided was the same. See attached pics. Also, attached the Owner's Manual page on the 6200 Audio Info input settings.

EDIT:
Anyway after a lot of googling, the 6200 must convert the DSD stream from the 203 to PCM to process it so presumably the 88.2KHz is the sampling frequency as the info screen indicated (which I interpreted to be the input frequency) to create a 24/88 PCM signal. What Audyssey does with it after that is... magic.
All AVRs and processors must convert DSD to PCM in order to do even basic processing. There are a handful that offer "direct" DAC of DSD but of course this will bypass any processing.
AVfile likes this.
post #28720 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
@asharma

One question please still -> do you get the Nits in the extended info display when playing a UHD movie from HiMedia through the Oppo?
No, I do not...

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820, Triple black velvet batcave
125" 2.35 Stewart Cima Neve Tab Tensioned Electric
post #28721 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 7
(sorry for the long post)

Hi, I'm new to OPPO (and am a total novice at high-end videophilyness in general), and I'm one of those types whose media library is mostly anime. I heard the upscaling and deinterlacing on the OPPO were supposed to be the best on the market, and that's one of the primary reasons why I bought it. But I'm not finding that to be the case at all, as my 203 in these two areas pales in comparison to even my PS3. I can't imagine I have a "dud" machine (and yes, the firmware is updated), but is it supposed to be like this?

As far as DVD upscaling goes, it often produces incredibly jagged/aliased/stair-stepped images (at any upscaled resolution, and gets more pronounced the higher up I go). I don't know if this is a more "accurate" upscaling compared to an upscaling algorithm that focuses on smoothing instead, but it really creates a distracting negative impression of a lot of the anime I've tried to watch. The PS3's smoothing algorithm isn't perfect either, as sometimes it's too aggressive, but in general it produces a much preferable image for anime. I've included comparisons taken on an iPad of the difference, using Synch-Point's old FLCL Ultimate Edition DVD. You'll easily be able to tell which is which. I notice the issue on upscaled BDs as well, though to a lesser extent. I've included a zoomed in example from Sentai's 1080i Fate/Stay Night BD, and the comparison isn't perfect since the angle I captured from is slightly off and the TV's pixel structure doesn't appear the same in both images, but all the same it approximates what I'm seeing IRL: I'm looking at the red diagonal triangle extending to the bottom left, and it looks much smoother when output in 1080 from the PS3 compared to 1080/4k on the OPPO.

Then there's the problem with the deinterlacing. For all non-progressive-sourced BDs and DVDs I've tried (like 10 at this point), "Film" is obviously out, but not a single one of them has worked via the OPPO's "Auto" without frequent combing artifacts during scene transitions. I loath seeing combing artifacts, and it's probably my biggest focus in terms of eliminating it. The PS3 functions tremendously well in comparison, producing flawlessly blended video for 90% of the same titles I've tried on the OPPO, never once producing combing artifacts (at least that are perceptible) in the titles it works for (all or nothing, in other words). Furthermore, in the titles that end up having combing artifacts on both, they're significantly worse on the OPPO compared to the PS3. I've included an example from Dragon Ball GT (lol...), where you see the OPPO showcasing combing in areas where the PS3 doesn't, and in common areas of combing, the OPPO's are significantly more pronounced. Also occurs more often on the OPPO in general. If I switch to "Video", again aside from DBGT, both the Oppo and the PS3 eliminate most combing artifacts, but then the algorithm on both is nowhere near as good at smoothing out lines during complex panning motions. However, once again, the OPPO's "Video" algorithm behaves significantly worse than the PS3's, with far more pronounced wobbly lines than the PS3 and in many more instances. This was impossible to capture via a single image, so you'll just have to take my word for it, but I'd go so far as to say that the PS3 handles "Video" at least 50% better.

I understand anime/animation might be a special case, since there's often more repeated frames than in live-action which might complicate the OPPO's algorithms, and jaggies and all the other issues will obviously appear much more prominent on such clean, line-based images, but... I mean, I'm not crazy here, right, that the decade+ old PS3 handles anime much more efficiently than the $550 2016 OPPO? Is it supposed to be this way? Am I missing some settings I should tweak? Would a replacement model function any better? I mean I doubt it, right? There are test discs I can buy to test to make sure my OPPO is passing algorithm tests, right? Could someone please enlighten me as to which I should look for?

I really wanted to love this machine, and was hoping it would make anime look as great as it possibly can (especially all the old DVDs in my collection which shall never get the BD treatment), but aside from being able to IVTC progressive-sourced DVDs, it's really not doing a whole lot for me atm, especially since the US anime market is still a long way off from embracing 4k and HDR/DV. =/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FLCL 1 OPPO.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	2395800   Click image for larger version

Name:	FLCL 1 PS3.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	2395802   Click image for larger version

Name:	FLCL 2 OPPO.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	2.45 MB
ID:	2395804   Click image for larger version

Name:	FLCL 2 PS3.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	2395806   Click image for larger version

Name:	FLCL 3 OPPO.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	2395808  

Name:	FLCL 3 PS3.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	2395810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fate 1 OPPO.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	2395812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fate 2 PS3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	2395814   Click image for larger version

Name:	DBGT 1 OPPO.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	2395816   Click image for larger version

Name:	DBGT 1 PS3.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	2395818  

AVfile likes this.

Last edited by Spoofer; 04-26-2018 at 07:34 AM.
post #28722 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
I have an Oppo 981 and previously had a 103. I just gave into the AVS peer pressure and picked up a 203

Great build quality and amazing remote control with cool backlighting. I watched Batman vs Superman UHD without any issues.

However, when I'm in the main menu, the screen keeps blinking every couple of seconds. Is this a handshake issue with my Marantz 7704 prepro and Vizio P65 4K TV? What remedies can I try? Thanks.
As others have said, use only UHD Certified HDMI cables. The issue is caused by something in your system not being happy with the high bitrate on the menu screen, which by default is at 4K/60Hz. However, you can set the output resolution to Custom and the custom resolution to UHD/24Hz. This will allow you to watch 4K/24P and HD movies in full quality, whilst reducing the output to 1080P for 50Hz or 60Hz content such as the menus or DVD playback.

"UHD 24Hz – Ultra HD (4K) output resolution with a 24Hz frame rate whenever possible. If
the source content is not suitable for 4K 24Hz output, the output resolution will be 1080p
50/60Hz."
mbroadus and galonzo like this.

Panasonic TX-55EZ952B OLED / Oppo UDP-203 / Onkyo TX-NR555 / B&W 600 Series + Elac A4 Atmos
post #28723 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I bought the Westworld Season 1 UHD HDR BDs too and agree that they looked spectacular. As far as Dolby Vision is concerned, I am not in hurry to get onboard with it. I think it's going to be another year or two at least before DV achieves critical mass. In the meantime, HDR10 has served me well so I am pleased to stick with it for a while longer.
hey...my eyesight isn't as sharp as it used to be-reached the big 5-0 recently but I sure appreciate real 4K video on a 65 inch screen TV...I will ignore 8k or whatever ploy electronics manufacturers come up with after...but but I wish i had bough a 3D oled TV...a few movies would look awesome on a 3D tv. Much better than at the cinema. but oh well..it's only TV!
I will keep my Oppo 103D til it dies and then see what else is out there. I hope physical media survives...I wish I could rip all the blurays I have purchased over the years and have a gigantic high quality database...full size files-not overly compressed digital files.
thanks -Spring is coming up North!
E

Samsung UN65KS8000 SUHD Quantum Dot LED 4K TV
Panasonic DP-UB820 4k & OPPO 103D-
Denon AVR-X4400h 5.2.4 atmos-with Paradigm: Monitor 7 v.6 for fronts, CC-390 v.6, Atoms v.7 Surrounds, Micros v.3 Front height and ELAC Debut A4 for back dolby.
SVS-PC12 NSD sub. Nak CR-1A cassette & Vintage Technics SL-MC7 110 CD jukebox
post #28724 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4

Decals I added to my player
wozman, HPQ and daimler2015 like this.
post #28725 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 09:32 AM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
I picked up my 203 from Oppo Menlo Park this month too. After initial power up, it immediately wanted to do a firmware update over the network which it did quickly and without issues.
Same here.

Are you talking' to me?
post #28726 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertsbbc View Post
As others have said, use only UHD Certified HDMI cables. The issue is caused by something in your system not being happy with the high bitrate on the menu screen, which by default is at 4K/60Hz. However, you can set the output resolution to Custom and the custom resolution to UHD/24Hz. This will allow you to watch 4K/24P and HD movies in full quality, whilst reducing the output to 1080P for 50Hz or 60Hz content such as the menus or DVD playback.

"UHD 24Hz – Ultra HD (4K) output resolution with a 24Hz frame rate whenever possible. If
the source content is not suitable for 4K 24Hz output, the output resolution will be 1080p
50/60Hz."
Yeah, my HDMI chain are all certified cables, as I went through this a few months ago when I first got my Vizio, Xbox One S, and Sony x800.

This morning, I pressed the HDMI cable on the back to ensure a tight fit, and turned everything on. The blinking went away. I'm currently using the "UHD Auto" setting.

Thanks guys!
post #28727 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 75
[quote=David Aiken;56096670]
Quote:

I bought a 203 a couple minutes ago. Now, even if both of our 205s die, I can still play the shiny disks.
galonzo likes this.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #28728 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 11:35 AM

What are some AV receivers that support DSD over HDMI and have good DACs and multichannel outputs?

post #28729 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
If I understand your update correctly, it sounds like everything is now working for you with the q10 set to 444 and the Oppo set to hdr off bt2020 which will output sdr bt2020 444...is that correct?
The problem that UHD movies from the "HDMI IN" input is wrong when the Oppo in Rec709 is output is when the Oppo it is set:
HDR off (bt2020)
Custom Resolution = UHD AUTO
Color Space = 4: 2: 2
Color Depth = 10Bit

It works only correctly so BT2020 from the Oppo, if everything as you are in Oppo on "AUTO" is set:
HDR off (bt2020)
Custom Resolution = UHD AUTO
Color Space = AUTO
Color Depth = AUTO

I have reported this to Oppo USA today so they can test it and determine it so that bug fixes.
asharma likes this.
post #28730 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
Just ordered a 203 from the Oppo website. Oppo is the only DolbyVision player (that I know of) that does 50hz playback and/or conversions to 60hz. A necessary feature for Region free European/PAL discs. My old Philips 7501 did 50hz but was only HDR10. Looking forward to playing DolbyVision discs.
william06 and galonzo like this.
post #28731 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 3122
Quote:
What are some AV receivers that support DSD over HDMI and have good DACs and multichannel outputs?
Pretty much any current make or model will accept DSD over HDMI, and all of them will convert it to LPCM for processing. If you want direct to analog DAC of DSD, then that's the feature to look for. Consult the amp/AVR forum.
post #28732 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoofer View Post
Is it supposed to be this way?
I believe so. Upscaling is an art, and you often have to strike a balance between two bad options. Aggressive smoothing can be good for animation, but bad for live action. Some players also employ additional DNR and sharpening filters on upscales, which again can create subjectively nicer-looking images, depending on what the image actually is. From your screenshots, it looks like Oppo tends to be sharper and PS3 tends to be smoother. The Fate screencaps show this trade-off really well. Inverse telecine is even worse. 24p films with a consistent cadence are fine, but the second you have any edits to already-telecined images (i.e. any TV show), forgot about it--it's a coin flip over whether you'll see comb artifacts or not for any given cadence change. When you see what it's trying to use as a source to reconstruct the frames, you'll see that sometimes it's a matter of dumb luck. The PS3's algorithm may favor the discs you've watched, but would fall over for others, that's all. Frankly unless I know it's a clean 24p source with a consistent cadence, I've fallen back to not even trying to reproduce the original frames (which has also been Oppo's default setting for some time, because I think they've reached the same conclusion). YMMV. I think what you've found is that your particular DVD use case might actually be better served by the PS3. I'd still keep the Oppo around for other sources.
galonzo and artoo_detoo like this.

Last edited by CatBus; 04-26-2018 at 12:50 PM.
post #28733 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wow how embarrassing, after so many changes to my system, Oppo 203, Sony ES, Samsung premiere 4K UHD un75mu800.....I had Firmware updates everywhere!!

I still need to check on the ATV and the DTV. My son reconnected the Samsung and then did a reset on the tv after I had already calibrated the picture!!

I did updates on the Oppo and the Samsung...need to look at the Sony manual and see what I am doing wrong.

I need another evening then I should be able to read back to everyone here.

Thanks again!!!
post #28734 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
all of them will convert it to LPCM for processing
I don't want processing. I want direct DSD to analog, which is what an Oppo 205 does.

post #28735 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Are there preferred 203 Settings? Is their a post of the best settings?

Thanks
post #28736 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 01:13 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked: 4546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supershady1 View Post

Thanks
See the FAQ: Recommended Settings.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #28737 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4014 Post(s)
Liked: 3735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supershady1 View Post

Thanks
From AVS member wmcclain, OPPO UDP-203 Settings Checklist
gwsat likes this.
post #28738 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Unhappy

Quote:
Pretty much any current make or model will accept DSD over HDMI, and all of them will convert it to LPCM for processing. If you want direct to analog DAC of DSD, then that's the feature to look for. Consult the amp/AVR forum.
Quote:
Not all of them... I learned that- with My Marantz SR5012. No DSD over HDMI Support. The SR6012 and 7012 does support DSD. Well, the whole 6011, 6010, 6009 and up series in general.

rdgrimes is right, it does convert to PCM, so the Oppo setting has to be set on Auto or PCM, otherwise with DSD, no sound will be output. On the SR6012, DSD will be output without the conversion

The SR5012 equivalent for Denon is the AVR-X3400H (or older X3300H, higher X4300H and newer X4400H). That DOES suppoert DSD over HDMI, but no multichannel inputs...

oh well....can't win

Last edited by mtyson84; 04-26-2018 at 03:40 PM.
post #28739 of 37491 Old 04-26-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtyson84 View Post
Not all of them... I learned that- with My Marantz SR5012. No DSD over HDMI Support. The SR6012 and 7012 does support DSD. Well, the whole 6011, 6010, 6009 and up series in general.

rdgrimes is right, it does convert to PCM, so the Oppo setting has to be set on Auto or PCM, otherwise with DSD, no sound will be output. On the SR6012, DSD will be output without the conversion

The SR5012 equivalent for Denon is the AVR-X3400H (or older X3300H, higher X4300H and newer X4400H). That DOES suppoert DSD over HDMI, but no multichannel inputs...

oh well....can't win
In a separate post, rdgrimes said:

Since forever, Oppo has offered DSD bitstreaming over HDMI. Sony's restrictions apply to SPDIF only.

I think the issue isn't the Oppo won't output DSD bitstream over HDMI, but that the receiver has to support incoming DSD bitstream and then, hopefully, decode it directly to analog instead of to PCM and then to analog.

post #28740 of 37491 Old 04-27-2018, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Re: burned BD-XL media
I burned a test disc yesterday. Folder structure backup of original UHD BD disc was ripped to hard drive and burned to Sony BD-RE XL 100GB media. I used Imgburn software in "burn folders to disc" mode. Oppo won't playback the disc. It won't even recognize it properly. After 1 min of trying (laser servo was making noise while it tried to figure out what was put in the tray) I hit the stop button and after that Oppo reported "Unknown disc". I didn't have time to burn another test disc in data mode with mkv media files but I'm pretty sure it won't work either due to "unknown disc" message.

Few thoughts thou. I was using rewritable BD-RE XL media. Maybe burn once BD-R XL will work? Moreover, I do not have software to rip/decrypt backups in ISO image mode. Maybe ripping ISO and burning it to disc is somehow different? The folder structure method I used is also valid. I have done it several times with ordinary Blu-rays.

EU Oppo w/ latest official fw
LG BH16NS55 burner w/ 1.02 fw
Sony BD-RE XL 100GB 2x media
zizux likes this.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Oppo UDP-203 and Oppo BDP-83 both hw region modded, M9702 v3 "Chinoppo" (65-0131), Apple TV 4K 32GB, LG OLED55E6V 55", Asustor 2-Bay NAS currently 8TB

Last edited by hlindstr; 04-27-2018 at 01:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page