Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 959 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279956Likes

post #28741 of 38231 Old 04-27-2018, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlindstr View Post
Re: burned BD-XL media

I burned a test disc yesterday. Folder structure backup of original UHD BD .........

The information I have been able to find regarding BDXL is that BDXL-RE will not work at all. BDXL-R should wok but only up to 66GB. Burning a larger disc which uses the 3rd layer will cause problems.

UE55F9005 - SEK-3500U/ZG
OPPO UDP-205EU
ROTEL RB980 + RB985 poweramps
3 Miller & Kreisel MP150 + 2 S150T speakers + 2 V12 subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28742 of 38231 Old 04-27-2018, 01:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post
I think the issue isn't the Oppo won't output DSD bitstream over HDMI, but that the receiver has to support incoming DSD bitstream and then, hopefully, decode it directly to analog instead of to PCM and then to analog.
Correct... And whilst most AVR's have some form of DSD decoder chip-set, not all AVR's are able to receive DSD bit-streams via HDMI

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
post #28743 of 38231 Old 04-27-2018, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I've a question for you folks:
Why are there speaker settings and more particularly bass management settings in the 203? I don't want the Oppo doing any speaker management as my processor performs that task. I didn't see a way to bypass crossover, etc.
Am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28744 of 38231 Old 04-27-2018, 05:18 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2064 Post(s)
Liked: 2575
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongobob View Post
I've a question for you folks:
Why are there speaker settings and more particularly bass management settings in the 203? I don't want the Oppo doing any speaker management as my processor performs that task. I didn't see a way to bypass crossover, etc.
Am I missing something?
If you're using the HDMI output, the speaker management settings don't apply as they're only used for the analog outputs. If you're using the analog outputs, configure all the speakers as large (full range) and set all distances the same (the value doesn't matter, just set all speakers to the same distance) to bypass the processing in the Oppo.
galonzo likes this.
post #28745 of 38231 Old 04-27-2018, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 554
I'm wondering if there's any detailed information regarding how the different "Filter Characteristics" options work? I know we can infer, based on the name of the filter, but it would be nice if we actually had graphs illustrating the roll-off curve, or some sort of dB/8v measurement.
post #28746 of 38231 Old 04-27-2018, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
If you're using the HDMI output, the speaker management settings don't apply as they're only used for the analog outputs. If you're using the analog outputs, configure all the speakers as large (full range) and set all distances the same (the value doesn't matter, just set all speakers to the same distance) to bypass the processing in the Oppo.
Thank You Sir!
post #28747 of 38231 Old 04-27-2018, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoofer View Post
(sorry for the long post)

Hi, I'm new to OPPO (and am a total novice at high-end videophilyness in general), and I'm one of those types whose media library is mostly anime. I heard the upscaling and deinterlacing on the OPPO were supposed to be the best on the market, and that's one of the primary reasons why I bought it. But I'm not finding that to be the case at all, as my 203 in these two areas pales in comparison to even my PS3. I can't imagine I have a "dud" machine (and yes, the firmware is updated), but is it supposed to be like this?

As far as DVD upscaling goes, it often produces incredibly jagged/aliased/stair-stepped images (at any upscaled resolution, and gets more pronounced the higher up I go). I don't know if this is a more "accurate" upscaling compared to an upscaling algorithm that focuses on smoothing instead, but it really creates a distracting negative impression of a lot of the anime I've tried to watch. The PS3's smoothing algorithm isn't perfect either, as sometimes it's too aggressive, but in general it produces a much preferable image for anime. I've included comparisons taken on an iPad of the difference, using Synch-Point's old FLCL Ultimate Edition DVD. You'll easily be able to tell which is which. I notice the issue on upscaled BDs as well, though to a lesser extent. I've included a zoomed in example from Sentai's 1080i Fate/Stay Night BD, and the comparison isn't perfect since the angle I captured from is slightly off and the TV's pixel structure doesn't appear the same in both images, but all the same it approximates what I'm seeing IRL: I'm looking at the red diagonal triangle extending to the bottom left, and it looks much smoother when output in 1080 from the PS3 compared to 1080/4k on the OPPO.

Then there's the problem with the deinterlacing. For all non-progressive-sourced BDs and DVDs I've tried (like 10 at this point), "Film" is obviously out, but not a single one of them has worked via the OPPO's "Auto" without frequent combing artifacts during scene transitions. I loath seeing combing artifacts, and it's probably my biggest focus in terms of eliminating it. The PS3 functions tremendously well in comparison, producing flawlessly blended video for 90% of the same titles I've tried on the OPPO, never once producing combing artifacts (at least that are perceptible) in the titles it works for (all or nothing, in other words). Furthermore, in the titles that end up having combing artifacts on both, they're significantly worse on the OPPO compared to the PS3. I've included an example from Dragon Ball GT (lol...), where you see the OPPO showcasing combing in areas where the PS3 doesn't, and in common areas of combing, the OPPO's are significantly more pronounced. Also occurs more often on the OPPO in general. If I switch to "Video", again aside from DBGT, both the Oppo and the PS3 eliminate most combing artifacts, but then the algorithm on both is nowhere near as good at smoothing out lines during complex panning motions. However, once again, the OPPO's "Video" algorithm behaves significantly worse than the PS3's, with far more pronounced wobbly lines than the PS3 and in many more instances. This was impossible to capture via a single image, so you'll just have to take my word for it, but I'd go so far as to say that the PS3 handles "Video" at least 50% better.

I understand anime/animation might be a special case, since there's often more repeated frames than in live-action which might complicate the OPPO's algorithms, and jaggies and all the other issues will obviously appear much more prominent on such clean, line-based images, but... I mean, I'm not crazy here, right, that the decade+ old PS3 handles anime much more efficiently than the $550 2016 OPPO? Is it supposed to be this way? Am I missing some settings I should tweak? Would a replacement model function any better? I mean I doubt it, right? There are test discs I can buy to test to make sure my OPPO is passing algorithm tests, right? Could someone please enlighten me as to which I should look for?

I really wanted to love this machine, and was hoping it would make anime look as great as it possibly can (especially all the old DVDs in my collection which shall never get the BD treatment), but aside from being able to IVTC progressive-sourced DVDs, it's really not doing a whole lot for me atm, especially since the US anime market is still a long way off from embracing 4k and HDR/DV. =/
Before I got the UDP-203, I used the PS3 to upscale DVDs, mostly movies and video-based music discs. I always thought that the PS3's upscaling on those was soft and smudgy looking. I have no anime, so I can't speak to that.

When playing movie DVDs and music video DVDs on the 203 (concerts and documentaries) they look way better than they ever did on the PS3.

I guess that anime is best served by the smoothing that seems to be applied by the PS3.
galonzo likes this.
post #28748 of 38231 Old 04-27-2018, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4021 Post(s)
Liked: 3319
Quote:
The Oppo has never supported BDXL discs. Is there some reason why you thought it would now?
post #28749 of 38231 Old 04-27-2018, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4410 Post(s)
Liked: 4076
To follow up on my previous posts about getting the Harmony remote working with different inputs and different devices with the 203 I finally got it working by using the Harmony mobile app, in my case I used the one for the Fire tablet. Basically, what I had to do was resequence the start positions and the input selections of the devices in play and added a delay when the command for input selection was initiated.

Thanks to everyone who gave me help and tips on how to accomplish what I wanted to do.
Neil S. Bulk likes this.
post #28750 of 38231 Old 04-27-2018, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Can the 203 decode Dolby Digital Plus and send the audio to its analog outputs?

Reason I ask is because with a Roku connected to the 203's HDMI IN, some ESPN shows' audio is DD+ and they were silent (commercials weren't ). I reconfigured the Roku to send stereo PCM and sound! I also tried setting the Roku to just send regular DD but that didn't work either.
post #28751 of 38231 Old 04-27-2018, 04:57 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5893 Post(s)
Liked: 8430
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
Can the 203 decode Dolby Digital Plus and send the audio to its analog outputs?

Reason I ask is because with a Roku connected to the 203's HDMI IN, some ESPN shows' audio is DD+ and they were silent (commercials weren't ). I reconfigured the Roku to send stereo PCM and sound! I also tried setting the Roku to just send regular DD but that didn't work either.
Yes it can.

While having the problem with the Roku, use the Info displays on the OPPO to see what is coming in for audio on the HDMI Input.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #28752 of 38231 Old 04-27-2018, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Yes it can.

While having the problem with the Roku, use the Info displays on the OPPO to see what is coming in for audio on the HDMI Input.
--Bob
The info says
Quote:
HDMI Input Information
Audio Format: Dolby Digital Plus 2.0ch 48k
Channel Position: FL/FR

HDMI(Main) Output Information
Audio Format: PCM 2.0ch 48k
I am using the analog outputs so the HDMI output information is probably useless for this.

P.S. Actually, another show works just fine so who knows what's going on.

Last edited by artur9; 04-27-2018 at 05:09 PM.
post #28753 of 38231 Old 04-27-2018, 05:16 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
The info says

I am using the analog outputs so the HDMI output information is probably useless for this.

P.S. Actually, another show works just fine so who knows what's going on.
DD+ 2.0 is kind of an odd format. It wouldn't surprise me if there's an error in the Roku data stream for the program exhibiting the problem.
--Bob
tonyve and galonzo like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #28754 of 38231 Old 04-28-2018, 02:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
I'm wondering if there's any detailed information regarding how the different "Filter Characteristics" options work? I know we can infer, based on the name of the filter, but it would be nice if we actually had graphs illustrating the roll-off curve, or some sort of dB/8v measurement.
There are graphs. Do a google search of AKM 4458VN. A 90+ page pdf document from AKM will come up which shows the frequency response characteristics of each filter type. I've posted that link before in this forum, but it's 4:30 and I'm too lazy to look it up again.

After some critical listening with my headphone rig, I've never been able to discern much of a difference between them, so I just leave it on the default, but I never use analog anyway, with that duty going to my 95 via a headphone rig. In theory the ones with 'rolloff' in the title might be a bit less forward and more laid back, rolling off the upper frequencies more.
tezster likes this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650

Last edited by glangford; 04-28-2018 at 02:36 AM.
post #28755 of 38231 Old 04-28-2018, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtyson84 View Post
w

Decals I added to my player
where did you get the decals? nice job
mtyson84 likes this.

post #28756 of 38231 Old 04-28-2018, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I've been trying to use the 203 to play music files and it's been a disappointing experience so far. I'm a Mac user with a large Apple Lossless library. I couldn't take my drive and plug it in, because it's in a format the Oppo won't read. This is in contrast to it playing virtually every optical disc out there (sorry HD-DVD fans). Once I re-formatted a drive and copied over my music folder, I plugged it into the back of the Oppo and let it build the library.

Going by the "Folder" view has been the most reliable way of finding music, but it's not without quirks. Coming from iTunes, my folders are organized by artist, but if an album has two artists, I'm not going to hear that album easily from just the "Folder" view. This also holds true for the "Artist" view. Using the "Album" view is hopeless though. With close to 3,000 albums, slowly scrolling across the screen is not going to cut it. As a test I held down the right arrow key and went about 170 albums in. I was still in the "A"'s. This isn't going to work. "Genre" doesn't seem to read the metadata. I have a large collection of "Soundtracks" and that option isn't in the list of genres. With no on-screen search function, finding an album to play is not a pleasant experience.

Using the app on an Android phone and an Android tablet has been even more hopeless. The "Folder" field shows up on both. The "Artist" and "Album" fields never populate and "Search" has been haphazard. The entire experience feels half-baked.

I was hoping the Oppo would be a capable player for my music library but this isn't the case. As wonderful as the Oppo is for playing discs the experience of trying to play my music library has not been pleasant at all. Perhaps if they could get the app to work as it's supposed to this would solve a lot of my problems, but for now it has too many problems to be used daily.
post #28757 of 38231 Old 04-28-2018, 08:46 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil S. Bulk View Post
I've been trying to use the 203 to play music files and it's been a disappointing experience so far. I'm a Mac user with a large Apple Lossless library. I couldn't take my drive and plug it in, because it's in a format the Oppo won't read. This is in contrast to it playing virtually every optical disc out there (sorry HD-DVD fans). Once I re-formatted a drive and copied over my music folder, I plugged it into the back of the Oppo and let it build the library.

Going by the "Folder" view has been the most reliable way of finding music, but it's not without quirks. Coming from iTunes, my folders are organized by artist, but if an album has two artists, I'm not going to hear that album easily from just the "Folder" view. This also holds true for the "Artist" view. Using the "Album" view is hopeless though. With close to 3,000 albums, slowly scrolling across the screen is not going to cut it. As a test I held down the right arrow key and went about 170 albums in. I was still in the "A"'s. This isn't going to work. "Genre" doesn't seem to read the metadata. I have a large collection of "Soundtracks" and that option isn't in the list of genres. With no on-screen search function, finding an album to play is not a pleasant experience.

Using the app on an Android phone and an Android tablet has been even more hopeless. The "Folder" field shows up on both. The "Artist" and "Album" fields never populate and "Search" has been haphazard. The entire experience feels half-baked.

I was hoping the Oppo would be a capable player for my music library but this isn't the case. As wonderful as the Oppo is for playing discs the experience of trying to play my music library has not been pleasant at all. Perhaps if they could get the app to work as it's supposed to this would solve a lot of my problems, but for now it has too many problems to be used daily.
For the Folder view, pressing Go To button (just above the Arrow buttons) and a number will jump you to that location in the list, from which you can scroll back and forth. I've not actually tried that with Album view, but it would be worth a try.

For a large library like yours there are two approaches.

First, you could restructure your library into nested folders that serve your needs better than what iTunes has done. Some folks here have also used "soft links" to allow the same content to be included in different folder collections without having to copy the files.

Or, you could set up a DLNA server that's able to access your content -- perhaps directly out of the iTunes library. Then use the User Interface of that DLNA server -- either on the server itself or via a separate control app running on another device -- to select the content to play. The OPPO can be used as a Digital Media Renderer (DMR) for DLNA, meaning the server can "push" files to the OPPO for playback.

---------------------

The Album list should populate on your Android copy of OPPO's MediaControl 20x app. Please get in touch with OPPO Tech Support so they can help you diagnose this.
--Bob

post #28758 of 38231 Old 04-28-2018, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shakespeare View Post
I forgot one criticism of the OPPO as a CD player. Again, it's a small matter, as I rarely use the internet data base feature that provides a screen display of the performer/composer/piece information. The database OPPO accesses is occasionally inaccurate and often lacking important information. iTunes and my previous Sony Blu-ray player both utilize Grace Note, AFAIK. OPPO seems to utilize a different data base. Now that production has stopped, I don't expect software modifications will improve the issues.
It's worse than that. Even with the database disabled, the disc screen often shows a different track title to the track screen! One sort of lags behind the other for some reason. I reported it to Oppo and they've referred it to their engineers.
post #28759 of 38231 Old 04-28-2018, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Smile Streaming 5.6 Mhz DSD files on the Oppo UDP-203

Didn't really know where to post this... hopefully someone can help.

I don't know if you have seen this issue, it has to do with playing DSD files on the Oppo UDP-203. It is supposed to play 2.8 and 5.6Mhz DSD files directly to anything that can play DSD over HDMI 2.2. The Oppo UDP-203 will stream 2.8Mhz DSD files to my Denon AVRX4300H fine. My Denon shows it plays DSD. I try to stream a 5.8Mhz DSD file and the Oppo changes it to PCM. My Denon shows it plays PCM. The Denon plays 5.8 Mhz DSD from a USB fine. (Denon supports 2.8 and 5.6Mhz DSD). I want the Oppo to play DSD and not convert.

The OPPO is set to required Audio settings for DSD:
Secondary Audio: Off
HDMI Audio Format: Bitstream
SACD Output: Auto [Auto,PCM,DSD] (Automatically decides the output format. Outputs DSD if the connected devices can support it, otherwise outputs PCM)

So in summary, 'SACD Output' set to 'Auto' only outputs 2.8Mhz DSD, changes to PCM on 5.6Mhz. Set to DSD 5.6Mhz doesn't play. Denon supports up to 5.6Mhz.

Any information is appreciated.
tonyve likes this.

♥ Sony XBR75X940E 75-Inch 4K ♥ Denon AVR-X4300H 7.2.4 (ATMOS DTS:X) ♥ NAD 275BEE Amp ♥ OPPO UDP-203 ♥ GoldenEar Triton One ♥ PCH-C200 ♥ Thecus N5550 8TB (Raid5) ♥
post #28760 of 38231 Old 04-28-2018, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by goros View Post
Hey guys, looking to get a 203 to replace my old BDP-S560 - maybe.

My system consists of a tv, xbox one s, roku 4, 4311ci with 11.2 all external (emotiva) amps, and I'm looking for advice since Oppo is done after this wave of players hits the market.

If I buy, am I going to regret it from a compatibility standpoint in the future? Right now I use a dedicated 10core/20thread ivy bridge xeon server for Emby for all my 1080p blurays (all lossless rips in h.264 MKV). Can't load 4k on the emby server yet so i need a dedicated player.

My main concern is I'll eventually make the jump to full 4k on the receiver as well (with Atmos) but I'm not there yet (the 11.2 is pretty nice as it is, and I don't want the wife to kill me). So for now I'm looking at passing the sound via HDMI to the receiver.

Server, receiver and amps are all in the basement in a rack below the TV, xbox and bluray player as they are in the living room for ease of loading and I don't want to drill more holes to pass analog down. My TV does pass 5.1 over toslink after HDMI input (it's a sony bravia z series right now, my new one will hopefully offer the same or better - waiting for the official universal 4k standard on all ).

Is the 203 worth doing, or do I wait for the next generation of samsung/panasonic/sony UHD players to hit the market?
Bueller?
post #28761 of 38231 Old 04-28-2018, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Or, you could set up a DLNA server that's able to access your content -- perhaps directly out of the iTunes library. Then use the User Interface of that DLNA server -- either on the server itself or via a separate control app running on another device -- to select the content to play. The OPPO can be used as a Digital Media Renderer (DMR) for DLNA, meaning the server can "push" files to the OPPO for playback.

---------------------

The Album list should populate on your Android copy of OPPO's MediaControl 20x app. Please get in touch with OPPO Tech Support so they can help you diagnose this.
--Bob
So I haven't explored music playback via the 203 yet, but this is interesting.

I don't want to have to turn on my PJ to select music - so the two approaches you mention look promising.

I have my files stored on a Windows machine dedicated as a server, and for video files (which of course means the PJ would be on) I just navigate to the SMB shares on the Oppo and play my .MKV rips.

But to play a DVD-A album (or a regular 44.1Khz CD), without powering on the PJ, could you elaborate on the options you mention above (and maybe mention some capable apps / methods?)

Also wasn't aware that the Oppo app itself facilitated the browsing of music? I'll need to check that out - maybe that would be the simplest thing.

I guess what I'd like to do is "Cast" the music files to the Oppo, using an android App, without involving a display device.

Thanks for any specifics on this!
post #28762 of 38231 Old 04-28-2018, 06:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamjcl View Post
So I haven't explored music playback via the 203 yet, but this is interesting.

I don't want to have to turn on my PJ to select music - so the two approaches you mention look promising.

I have my files stored on a Windows machine dedicated as a server, and for video files (which of course means the PJ would be on) I just navigate to the SMB shares on the Oppo and play my .MKV rips.

But to play a DVD-A album (or a regular 44.1Khz CD), without powering on the PJ, could you elaborate on the options you mention above (and maybe mention some capable apps / methods?)

Also wasn't aware that the Oppo app itself facilitated the browsing of music? I'll need to check that out - maybe that would be the simplest thing.

I guess what I'd like to do is "Cast" the music files to the Oppo, using an android App, without involving a display device.

Thanks for any specifics on this!
If you mean a CD or DVD-A *DISC*, the CD case is easy. Just use OPPO's MediaControl 20x app for iOS or Android and you can control playback with that much as you could do with the regular Remote while viewing track numbers in the player's Front Panel Display. In the case of the app, you would see those displayed in the app itself.

For a DVD-A disc, without using a TV the problem is not being able to see the simple, on-disc menu. The 10x players had a trick for getting around this, but I'm not sure if it got migrated to the 20x players. (Haven't tried it myself.) The trick was, load the DVD-A disc as normal, then press Stop followed by Play. This would cause the player to bypass the DVD-A's on-disc menu and start playback of the first Group/Track.

If you have music files ripped from ANY source to a format the OPPO can play -- for example WAV or FLAC -- then you can use the app to browse file contents on an SMB or DLNA server and instruct the player to "pull" those files from the server for playback.

Alternatively, you can use any control app you have for a DLNA server and "push" the files to the OPPO.
--Bob
galonzo likes this.

post #28763 of 38231 Old 04-28-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmh2000 View Post
So in summary, 'SACD Output' set to 'Auto' only outputs 2.8Mhz DSD, changes to PCM on 5.6Mhz. Set to DSD 5.6Mhz doesn't play. Denon supports up to 5.6Mhz.

Any information is appreciated.
DSD64 can be bitstreamed over HDMI, DSD128 and DSD256 cannot. This is a limitation of HDMI, not of the player or processor. DSD128 will be decoded to LPCM 24/176. Last I checked, the Oppo does not support DSD256.

Some processors, like apparently your Denon, do support playback of DSD128 or DSD256, but this support is limited to direct file playback, not bitstreaming to HDMI.
stevenjw, galonzo and dmh2000 like this.
post #28764 of 38231 Old 04-28-2018, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
If you mean a CD or DVD-A *DISC*, the CD case is easy. Just use OPPO's MediaControl 20x app for iOS or Android and you can control playback with that much as you could do with the regular Remote while viewing track numbers in the player's Front Panel Display. In the case of the app, you would see those displayed in the app itself.

For a DVD-A disc, without using a TV the problem is not being able to see the simple, on-disc menu. The 10x players had a trick for getting around this, but I'm not sure if it got migrated to the 20x players. (Haven't tried it myself.) The trick was, load the DVD-A disc as normal, then press Stop followed by Play. This would cause the player to bypass the DVD-A's on-disc menu and start playback of the first Group/Track.

If you have music files ripped from ANY source to a format the OPPO can play -- for example WAV or FLAC -- then you can use the app to browse file contents on an SMB or DLNA server and instruct the player to "pull" those files from the server for playback.

Alternatively, you can use any control app you have for a DLNA server and "push" the files to the OPPO.
--Bob
Should have specified files - not discs.

Don't get anything (files, locations) showing up in the Oppo app browser - says enable file discovery ,or something to that effect, in Networking (it is already enabled).

I can access / play all music and video files through the "network" portal of the on-screen menu just fine. I just navigate to the Windows Share I want and play.

I just can't seem to get any file listings to show on the app itself.

EDIT: Don't have DLNA / Media Streaming turned "on" on the server as I generally just access the shares. This is probably the issue...

EDIT 2: Well I had to disable "My network" (not file discovery as I had mentioned above) setting in Oppo Network settings, then re-enable it. Now it works, without the DNLA having to be enabled on server...

Last edited by Iamjcl; 04-28-2018 at 10:05 PM.
post #28765 of 38231 Old 04-29-2018, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
I burned a test disc yesterday. Folder structure backup of original UHD BD disc was ripped to hard drive and burned to Sony BD-RE XL 100GB media. I used Imgburn software in "burn folders to disc" mode. Oppo won't playback the disc. It won't even recognize it properly. After 1 min of trying (laser servo was making noise while it tried to figure out what was put in the tray) I hit the stop button and after that Oppo reported "Unknown disc". I didn't have time to burn another test disc in data mode with mkv media files but I'm pretty sure it won't work either due to "unknown disc" message.

Few thoughts thou. I was using rewritable BD-RE XL media. Maybe burn once BD-R XL will work? Moreover, I do not have software to rip/decrypt backups in ISO image mode. Maybe ripping ISO and burning it to disc is somehow different? The folder structure method I used is also valid. I have done it several times with ordinary Blu-rays.

EU Oppo w/ latest official fw
LG BH16NS55 burner w/ 1.02 fw
Sony BD-RE XL 100GB 2x media
Hi.

The structure that you used have more than 66GB???

Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
The Oppo has never supported BDXL discs. Is there some reason why you thought it would now?
In a Spanish forum (forodvd) there´s a person that ensuring burned BDXL and works with the last firm.
galonzo likes this.

Last edited by zizux; 04-29-2018 at 02:32 AM.
post #28766 of 38231 Old 04-29-2018, 02:40 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post
What are some AV receivers that support DSD over HDMI and have good DACs and multichannel outputs?

Hi Jim

Many AVRs will send dsd over hdmi. As mentioned hdmi doesn't take the higher rate DSD formats. BUT contrary to some other posts I actually thought all AVR (except maybe a couple of Sony) converted DSD to PCM and then to analogue even with pure direct modes. I suggest take this to the appropriate AVR forum.

Also suggest finding out which of your SACD were actually 1 bit masters. Many SACD were recorded via PCM so... DSD master (as all digital recording) > PCM (for missing in the studio) > DSD (for SACD). I those cases PCM sources are more ideal as they've been through less bit conversion and quantisation than the SACD.
E.g. I think Brothers in Arms is such an example where the DVD audio PCM and there's an interview where the original sound engineer who also oversaw the DVD and SACD audio who says as much (he can hear the difference). For that suggest going to a SACD content forum as you may be chasing a unicorn.

in the meantime I hope your two 205 don't break down...let's face it what's the odds of both failing?
I think your 205 questions had been answered and remaining questions on content and amplification taken away?

Best regards
Chris

Last edited by chrisdack; 04-30-2018 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Typo
post #28767 of 38231 Old 04-29-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zizux View Post
In a Spanish forum (forodvd) there´s a person that ensuring burned BDXL and works with the last firm.
It does not. I'd tend to doubt that it works in the EU firmware, since this is likely a hardware limitation.
post #28768 of 38231 Old 04-29-2018, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
It does not. I'd tend to doubt that it works in the EU firmware, since this is likely a hardware limitation.
I have the same opinion.
post #28769 of 38231 Old 04-29-2018, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Yes, this works. Thanks!

Still the user interface when having a drive connected directly to the Oppo leaves much to be desired. That would have been ideal.
galonzo likes this.
post #28770 of 38231 Old 04-29-2018, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
DSD64 can be bitstreamed over HDMI, DSD128 and DSD256 cannot. This is a limitation of HDMI, not of the player or processor. DSD128 will be decoded to LPCM 24/176. Last I checked, the Oppo does not support DSD256.

Some processors, like apparently your Denon, do support playback of DSD128 or DSD256, but this support is limited to direct file playback, not bitstreaming to HDMI.
As proof of concept, I set up a quick Twonky server on my Thecus and it is streaming DSD - 5.6MHz (DSD128) to the Denon receiver. So it is the Oppo UDP-203 that is having the issue 'verifying' that DSD128 can be played on the Denon.

♥ Sony XBR75X940E 75-Inch 4K ♥ Denon AVR-X4300H 7.2.4 (ATMOS DTS:X) ♥ NAD 275BEE Amp ♥ OPPO UDP-203 ♥ GoldenEar Triton One ♥ PCH-C200 ♥ Thecus N5550 8TB (Raid5) ♥
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page