Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 975 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 278828Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #29221 of 36750 Old 05-18-2018, 08:21 AM
Member
 
mtyson84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Santa Fe
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
where did you get the decals? nice job
Made the Premium myself, Ordered the Silver 4k from Poland
mtyson84 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #29222 of 36750 Old 05-18-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamisonia View Post
Like a lot of off the wall enthusiast stuff the Japanese just seem more into it than us, so that's where a lot of the releases were, especially later releases of classic rock. They were easy enough to get stateside though thanks to Amazon. I'm not sure if that's changed, but Amazon used to sell us the Japanese import SACDs on Amazon.com for $40.

Bought a couple SACDs on eBay (The Cars & The Eagles) for $30 each to get me started, the output is via HDMI correct?



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
mbroadus is offline  
post #29223 of 36750 Old 05-18-2018, 10:13 AM
Member
 
jamisonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Bought a couple SACDs on eBay (The Cars & The Eagles) for $30 each to get me started, the output is via HDMI correct?



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, unless you have an AVR capable of accepting multichannel analog inputs, that also doesn't digitize analog signal (I recently found out this was a thing on almost all AVRs for all analog inputs, even 2 channel, can anyone give me more info if it still makes still to use analog for two channel with an AVR that does this, I'd appreciate it), use HDMI.

The two other choices you have then are to set the Oppo to DSD or PCM. Firstly you need to determine if your AVR can decode DSD (both 2 channel and multichannel, some can only decode 2 channel). If your AVR can decode DSD you should listen to both the Oppo in DSD mode and the Oppo in PCM mode to see which sounds better. In my case PCM sounded better.

Then you need to decide stereo or multichannel? I personally can't tell a difference between CD quality (44.1khz/16bit) and Hi Res (96 khz/24 bit) so I buy SACDs for the multichannel tracks.
Hughmc, Matt2026 and Madmax67 like this.

Last edited by jamisonia; 05-18-2018 at 10:17 AM.
jamisonia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #29224 of 36750 Old 05-18-2018, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kokishin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,059
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamisonia View Post
Yes, unless you have an AVR capable of accepting multichannel analog inputs, that also doesn't digitize analog signal (I recently found out this was a thing on almost all AVRs for all analog inputs, even 2 channel, can anyone give me more info if it still makes still to use analog for two channel with an AVR that does this, I'd appreciate it), use HDMI.

The two other choices you have then are to set the Oppo to DSD or PCM. Firstly you need to determine if your AVR can decode DSD (both 2 channel and multichannel, some can only decode 2 channel). If your AVR can decode DSD you should listen to both the Oppo in DSD mode and the Oppo in PCM mode to see which sounds better. In my case PCM sounded better.

Then you need to decide stereo or multichannel? I personally can't tell a difference between CD quality (44.1khz/16bit) and Hi Res (96 khz/24 bit) so I buy SACDs for the multichannel tracks.
I have my 103 and 203 set to output DSD over HDMI to my Denon 6200. I think it sounds subtlety better than when I set the Oppo's to PCM.

I'm into MCH mixes as well. For me, the quality of the mix is everything, whether it's stereo or MCH. I can't tell much of a difference between 16/44.1 (DTS CD) vs 24/88 (SACD) vs 24/96 (DVD-Audio) either (most of the time). 24/192 is kinda ridiculous.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
kokishin is offline  
post #29225 of 36750 Old 05-18-2018, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Down South
Posts: 4,633
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2291 Post(s)
Liked: 3127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Beginning my journey collecting SACD and would like to know if the 203/205 will play import SACDs? Curious whether the import SACDs are regional?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Don't do it
Damn Oppo 83 got me started.
I look at my collection on the shelves and think $$.
By the way there are a lot of quality SACDs (and DVDA's) that aren't via Japan. sa-cd.net, and Steve Hoffman's forum are two good sources of ratings/reviews/discussion, along with the related thread on this forum. Enjoy!!
mbroadus, galonzo and hernanu like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
smurraybhm is offline  
post #29226 of 36750 Old 05-18-2018, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
muzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: MA. USA
Posts: 4,549
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Dolby certified the Oppo for Dolby Vision. Then some combination of Dolby & Sony moved the goalposts forcing Oppo and MediaTek to do additional work and then submit the changes to Dolby to get re-certified. I'll never claim Oppo is perfect, but it's really hard for me to see Oppo as a villain in this Dolby Vision thing.
I'm not blaming Oppo one bit.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
muzz is offline  
post #29227 of 36750 Old 05-18-2018, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kokishin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,059
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Don't do it
Damn Oppo 83 got me started.
I look at my collection on the shelves and think $$.
By the way there are a lot of quality SACDs (and DVDA's) that aren't via Japan. sa-cd.net, and Steve Hoffman's forum are two good sources of ratings/reviews/discussion, along with the related thread on this forum. Enjoy!!
@Bill Mac is a multichannel savant! I was a mch virgin a few years ago. I've learned so much from Bill.
mbroadus and smurraybhm like this.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
kokishin is offline  
post #29228 of 36750 Old 05-18-2018, 12:58 PM
QuadMersed in bass!
 
giomania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzer soze View Post
Does the Oppo have the ability to play MKV Dolby True HD/Atmos? I using a 1tb harddirve connected to usb with my Sony ubpx 800 and it will play everything but atmos audio with mkv. I would pick up the Oppo today if it does.

Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
It does, yes, in either MKV or M2TS. With MKV, there's a small gotcha in that it needs to be the first thing you play after a reboot.
Does that "it needs to be the first thing you play after a reboot" gotcha apply to Dolby True HD, Dolby Atmos, or both?

Thanks.

Mark
giomania is online now  
post #29229 of 36750 Old 05-18-2018, 01:02 PM
Audio/Video Enthusiast
 
alexcoluzzi32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: California
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
I'm not blaming Oppo one bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzer soze View Post
I love this forum thank you for the quick response. I will be returning the Sony and picking up the OPPO today. I'm even more excited for the custom hdr features since I just picked up the JVC 590r projector last week.

That's exactly what I did, well, sold the X800 and got the Oppo 203 and it is an absolute dream. 4TB hard drive via USB into it plays the makemkv "backup" files exactly as if I put the disc in.



I did check in with Oppo yesteday regarding the DV firmware certification to confirm the holdup is with Dolby and not Oppo. I knew it was with Dolby but I made it clear in a very polite way that we're all excited for the update. Shoot, I wonder if they're giving out beta builds. Anyone know the policy on that?
StanGeek likes this.
alexcoluzzi32 is offline  
post #29230 of 36750 Old 05-18-2018, 01:10 PM
Audio/Video Enthusiast
 
alexcoluzzi32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: California
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcoluzzi32 View Post
That's exactly what I did, well, sold the X800 and got the Oppo 203 and it is an absolute dream. 4TB hard drive via USB into it plays the makemkv "backup" files exactly as if I put the disc in.

I did check in with Oppo yesteday regarding the DV firmware certification to confirm the holdup is with Dolby and not Oppo. I knew it was with Dolby but I made it clear in a very polite way that we're all excited for the update. Shoot, I wonder if they're giving out beta builds. Anyone know the policy on that?

And that would be a no, which is what I figured.



Anyone had luck encouraging Dolby Labs in a nice sort of way to ya know, move the certification along.....
alexcoluzzi32 is offline  
post #29231 of 36750 Old 05-18-2018, 01:23 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,204
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5783 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Does that "it needs to be the first thing you play after a reboot" gotcha apply to Dolby True HD, Dolby Atmos, or both?

Thanks.

Mark
Both. Atmos is a TrueHD 7.1 track with extra sprinkles.
—Bob
giomania likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #29232 of 36750 Old 05-18-2018, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 14,436
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2194 Post(s)
Liked: 3296
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
@Bill Mac is a multichannel savant! I was a mch virgin a few years ago. I've learned so much from Bill.
Thanks for the kind words! If the meaning of "savant" is one that can't avoid buying multichannel music no matter the cost (within reason) that'd be me . But as far as being an expert or knowledgeable in multichannel music definitely not. A hobbyist at best .

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #29233 of 36750 Old 05-18-2018, 02:40 PM
Member
 
av7equip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone here running Plex going into the Oppo (HDMI-In) for handling the audio and video and then back out to the display? My entire setup is in the Plex environment and I really like the Plex interface vs the standard Oppo interface for movie and music management. I do however want the Oppo to handle everything else including analog out to my receiver to pass the latest audio streams.
av7equip is offline  
post #29234 of 36750 Old 05-18-2018, 03:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Jbhur212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Akron
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Well just wanted to chime in and thank everyone for all their knowledge on this wonderful piece of equipment, especially the FAQ. Got my 203 installed in my HT with my new 4K setup and have to say I was extremely impressed how great the PQ by just following the settings recommendations. And I had a freeze about an hour in while watching Pacific Rim and quickly resorted to the "clean the disc" directions and bingo...played perfectly. Have it playing into a 77C8 and the first thing I watched was the first 15 minutes of The Martian and was totally amazed. So glad to have found out about OPPO and this thread so many years ago.
Neil S. Bulk, galonzo and Greg TB like this.

EQUIPMENT:LG OLED77C8PUA (ISF calibrated by Jeff Meier)-OPPO BDP-203 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Marantz 7703 Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-Outlaw Model 5000 amplifier-2 Mythos 4-1 Mythos 8-2 Mythos BPX-2 NHT Super Zeros-4 SVS Prime Elevation speakers-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Elite-Xbox One S-Roku Ultra streaming player
Jbhur212 is offline  
post #29235 of 36750 Old 05-18-2018, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 4,639
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Don't do it
Damn Oppo 83 got me started.
I look at my collection on the shelves and think $$.
By the way there are a lot of quality SACDs (and DVDA's) that aren't via Japan. sa-cd.net, and Steve Hoffman's forum are two good sources of ratings/reviews/discussion, along with the related thread on this forum. Enjoy!!
Hilarious. I have a case filled with SACD's and DVD-A's (fewer). That led of course to flac online purchases, and the ultimate DSD downloads.

Can't go back, the fear of losing the lossless music on the NAS is leading me to buying a large RAID server. All from buying a 103D (and now of course, a 203).

where does it all end?
galonzo and smurraybhm like this.
hernanu is offline  
post #29236 of 36750 Old 05-18-2018, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamisonia View Post
Yes, unless you have an AVR capable of accepting multichannel analog inputs, that also doesn't digitize analog signal (I recently found out this was a thing on almost all AVRs for all analog inputs, even 2 channel, can anyone give me more info if it still makes still to use analog for two channel with an AVR that does this, I'd appreciate it), use HDMI.



The two other choices you have then are to set the Oppo to DSD or PCM. Firstly you need to determine if your AVR can decode DSD (both 2 channel and multichannel, some can only decode 2 channel). If your AVR can decode DSD you should listen to both the Oppo in DSD mode and the Oppo in PCM mode to see which sounds better. In my case PCM sounded better.



Then you need to decide stereo or multichannel? I personally can't tell a difference between CD quality (44.1khz/16bit) and Hi Res (96 khz/24 bit) so I buy SACDs for the multichannel tracks.

My Anthem AVR does not decode DSD, so PCM it is.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
mbroadus is offline  
post #29237 of 36750 Old 05-18-2018, 05:22 PM
Senior Member
 
chrisdack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Personally I find myself forcing HDR10 anyways because I usually cannot get lip sync perfect with DV.
How do you force hdr10? I set HDR to forced in the OPPO to work around the lg e6 dolby vision bug and the oppo insists still on outputting dv
chrisdack is offline  
post #29238 of 36750 Old 05-18-2018, 05:34 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,204
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5783 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdack View Post
How do you force hdr10? I set HDR to forced in the OPPO to work around the lg e6 dolby vision bug and the oppo insists still on outputting dv
Incant the following spell (dribbly black candles are optional):

1) Set HDR to FORCED
2) Set Standby Mode to ENERGY EFFICIENT
3) Turn the player Off and back On again.

Your Dolby Vision disc will now play as HDR-10, just as if the player was not capable of Dolby Vision.

To return things to normal, incant the following counter-spell:

1) Set HDR to AUTO
2) Confirm Standby Mode is still set to ENERGY EFFICIENT
3) Turn the player Off and back On again.

NOTE: The spell will only work if connected to a TV which accepts HDR-10. If you try it with a TV that accepts NEITHER Dolby Vision nor HDR-10, the disc will continue to play as "Dolby Vision", but the output will be SDR BT.709 as constructed by the Dolby Vision engine. This is more restrictive than if the disc were playing as HDR-10. For example the player's HDR to SDR conversion modes will not be applied.
--Bob
robsis, galonzo, hernanu and 2 others like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #29239 of 36750 Old 05-18-2018, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 20,964
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4434 Post(s)
Liked: 5762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Incant the following spell (dribbly black candles are optional):

1) Set HDR to FORCED
2) Set Standby Mode to ENERGY EFFICIENT
3) Turn the player Off and back On again.

Your Dolby Vision disc will now play as HDR-10, just as if the player was not capable of Dolby Vision.

To return things to normal, incant the following counter-spell:

1) Set HDR to AUTO
2) Confirm Standby Mode is still set to ENERGY EFFICIENT
3) Turn the player Off and back On again.

NOTE: The spell will only work if connected to a TV which accepts HDR-10. If you try it with a TV that accepts NEITHER Dolby Vision nor HDR-10, the disc will continue to play as "Dolby Vision", but the output will be SDR BT.709 as constructed by the Dolby Vision engine. This is more restrictive than if the disc were playing as HDR-10. For example the player's HDR to SDR conversion modes will not be applied.
--Bob
We are not worthy, we are not worthy!
htwaits and mbroadus like this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
gwsat is offline  
post #29240 of 36750 Old 05-18-2018, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hughmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamisonia View Post
Yes, unless you have an AVR capable of accepting multichannel analog inputs, that also doesn't digitize analog signal (I recently found out this was a thing on almost all AVRs for all analog inputs, even 2 channel, can anyone give me more info if it still makes still to use analog for two channel with an AVR that does this, I'd appreciate it), use HDMI.

The two other choices you have then are to set the Oppo to DSD or PCM. Firstly you need to determine if your AVR can decode DSD (both 2 channel and multichannel, some can only decode 2 channel). If your AVR can decode DSD you should listen to both the Oppo in DSD mode and the Oppo in PCM mode to see which sounds better. In my case PCM sounded better.

Then you need to decide stereo or multichannel? I personally can't tell a difference between CD quality (44.1khz/16bit) and Hi Res (96 khz/24 bit) so I buy SACDs for the multichannel tracks.
I'm fortunate...my Denon 4308ci which is over ten years old is able to work well with the Oppo...considering it is I am revisiting SACD and DVD audio I bought years ago when I played them thru my PC soundcard with ext out to ext. into my Denon 4308ci...a couple of them, Tubular Bells and ELP Brain Salad Surgery are not being read as DVD audio by the Oppo...I have all the settings right, and I have other DVD audio discs playing fine...for some reason, it seems the Oppo is not recognizing the DVD audio tracks and only able to play back the Dolby and DTS tracks.
Hughmc is offline  
post #29241 of 36750 Old 05-19-2018, 02:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fmalczewski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,349
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Hilarious. I have a case filled with SACD's and DVD-A's (fewer). That led of course to flac online purchases, and the ultimate DSD downloads.

Can't go back, the fear of losing the lossless music on the NAS is leading me to buying a large RAID server. All from buying a 103D (and now of course, a 203).

where does it all end?
Don't forget to back up that RAID...
fmalczewski is offline  
post #29242 of 36750 Old 05-19-2018, 05:07 AM
Senior Member
 
chrisdack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Incant the following spell (dribbly black candles are optional):

1) Set HDR to FORCED
2) Set Standby Mode to ENERGY EFFICIENT
3) Turn the player Off and back On again.

Your Dolby Vision disc will now play as HDR-10, just as if the player was not capable of Dolby Vision.

To return things to normal, incant the following counter-spell:

1) Set HDR to AUTO
2) Confirm Standby Mode is still set to ENERGY EFFICIENT
3) Turn the player Off and back On again.

NOTE: The spell will only work if connected to a TV which accepts HDR-10. If you try it with a TV that accepts NEITHER Dolby Vision nor HDR-10, the disc will continue to play as "Dolby Vision", but the output will be SDR BT.709 as constructed by the Dolby Vision engine. This is more restrictive than if the disc were playing as HDR-10. For example the player's HDR to SDR conversion modes will not be applied.
--Bob
Thanks Bob. Thought I did all that but probably missed a step.
chrisdack is offline  
post #29243 of 36750 Old 05-19-2018, 07:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Taxcheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Can't go back, the fear of losing the lossless music on the NAS is leading me to buying a large RAID server. All from buying a 103D (and now of course, a 203).

Best Buy regularly puts the 8TB easystore external drive on sale for $140ish. Back up that RAID (or pop open the enclosure and use it in the server).


The 203 has filled up my raid server again, too.
galonzo and hernanu like this.

XBR-75Z9D fed by Oppo 203. Decrapifying the X1 Extreme
Taxcheat is offline  
post #29244 of 36750 Old 05-19-2018, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,681
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4354 Post(s)
Liked: 2448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxcheat View Post
Best Buy regularly puts the 8TB easystore external drive on sale for $140ish. Back up that RAID (or pop open the enclosure and use it in the server).

The 203 has filled up my raid server again, too.
I used to buy the external drives that contain the regular hard drives in them but they're prone to failure in my experience so that last one I bought was this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-p...?skuId=5605508

It's doesn't fit as much data but seems less likely to failure. Also, Western Digital and probably other manufacturers use some sort of encryption so that you can't use the portion of the drive already used once a failure occurs.

lujan
515 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
lujan is online now  
post #29245 of 36750 Old 05-19-2018, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
IAM4UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: United States
Posts: 6,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdack View Post
How do you force hdr10? I set HDR to forced in the OPPO to work around the lg e6 dolby vision bug and the oppo insists still on outputting dv
I have an LG E6 OLED, and am considering buying an OPPO 203. One reason I might do that is to view my UHD Discs that have Dolby Vision in that mode, rather than HDR10. Can you provide more information about the "bug" you mentioned? Should I not expect to benefit from an OPPO 203 and LG E6 for their Dolby Vision capabilities? Thanks.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
IAM4UK is offline  
post #29246 of 36750 Old 05-19-2018, 08:00 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,204
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5783 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post
I have an LG E6 OLED, and am considering buying an OPPO 203. One reason I might do that is to view my UHD Discs that have Dolby Vision in that mode, rather than HDR10. Can you provide more information about the "bug" you mentioned? Should I not expect to benefit from an OPPO 203 and LG E6 for their Dolby Vision capabilities? Thanks.
Dolby's implementation of Dolby Vision over HDMI has a flaw which can cause black levels to float up towards gray at times. The flaw is in the TVs, not in the players. Dolby has issued two corrections to LG, but so far LG has not released either of them for their 2016 panels. They claim to be still testing them.

Personally, even WITH that flaw (which is mostly noticeable in the black letter box bars) I still watch Dolby Vision titles in Dolby Vision on my E6.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #29247 of 36750 Old 05-19-2018, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,564
Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked: 4380
If anyone is interested, there are a few Oppo 203 refurbished available from the Oppo Store right now, Saturday May 19th at 10 am (CT). They won't last too much for sure.
AVfile likes this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
enricoclaudio is offline  
post #29248 of 36750 Old 05-19-2018, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Clark Burk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Baltimore,MD.USA
Posts: 1,943
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
If anyone is interested, there are a few Oppo 203 refurbished available from the Oppo Store right now, Saturday May 19th at 10 am (CT). They won't last too much for sure.
Thanks!! Great Find! Can't lose with the same 2 year warranty as the new ones.

Clark

Last edited by Clark Burk; 05-19-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Clark Burk is offline  
post #29249 of 36750 Old 05-19-2018, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
IAM4UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: United States
Posts: 6,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Dolby's implementation of Dolby Vision over HDMI has a flaw which can cause black levels to float up towards gray at times. The flaw is in the TVs, not in the players. Dolby has issued two corrections to LG, but so far LG has not released either of them for their 2016 panels. They claim to be still testing them.

Personally, even WITH that flaw (which is mostly noticeable in the black letter box bars) I still watch Dolby Vision titles in Dolby Vision on my E6.
--Bob
Thank you very much, Bob. My E6 OLED is the finest-looking display device I've ever owned, by a very wide margin. I hope LG supports it well for several more years.
I have watched Dolby Vision content on it, but only via the WebOS apps for Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. I have been very impressed with that image quality, but I don't think it's had letterbox-bars, so the fact that I've not noticed floating black levels may be that I've not had such an obvious way to notice. It does appear that Netflix DV content is at higher framerates than 24; I hope that's not any indication of different "motion settings" on my E6 in DV playback mode...

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
IAM4UK is offline  
post #29250 of 36750 Old 05-19-2018, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Killroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ninth Circle of Hell
Posts: 2,330
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I used to buy the external drives that contain the regular hard drives in them but they're prone to failure in my experience so that last one I bought was this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-p...?skuId=5605508

It's doesn't fit as much data but seems less likely to failure. Also, Western Digital and probably other manufacturers use some sort of encryption so that you can't use the portion of the drive already used once a failure occurs.
Both the WD and Seagate 8TB are pretty great. Even Backblaze has called them the least failure prone drives they have seen in a long time.

Shucking the externals is easy unless you get that Seagate with the two USB ports on them...those will be very hard to shuck.
Killroy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off