Official Oppo UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray player Anticipation Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 541Likes

post #991 of 1147 Old 04-24-2017, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 219
^^^ They have a pre order going. I'll try & keep up on this for interest sake... http://www.modwright.com/modificatio...dification.php

In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King......

Anthem AVM60. Oppo 205. Krell KAV 1500. Krell Resolution 1. Krell Resolution C. Paradigm Studio 60V5. Paradigm Prestige 15B. SVS PB16 Ultra. Sony XBR-65Z9D....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1147 Old 04-24-2017, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370ZYZFR1 View Post
I think there is always an advantage to separate the signals of possible.
Is there? I would think that everything is now digital, sending 1s and 0s through the HDMI, it really shouldn't matter all that much for video quality. Unless of course, your AVR is messing with the video signal somehow. The HDMI bandwidth should also be there to send both video and audio.
post #993 of 1147 Old 04-24-2017, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1987 Post(s)
Liked: 967
Dammit where is the 8K Support! LOL

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 1147 Old 04-25-2017, 08:02 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5890 Post(s)
Liked: 8427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Dammit where is the 8K Support! LOL
Nope, that's not the Easter Egg.
--Bob
Garman likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #995 of 1147 Old 04-25-2017, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'm a bit jalous on you guys in the US.
'We' need to wait at least untill 8 May before supply starts...

Denon AVC-A11XV, Denon DVD-3910, Dual CS 741 Q, Dynaudio Focus 5.0, Musical Fidelity X-CAN v8p, Sennheiser hd 800, LG 4K OLED 55" B6V.
post #996 of 1147 Old 04-25-2017, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

-----------------------------

If you want to wire either the RCA or XLR pair from the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs in lieu of the normal LF/RF RCA cables of the multi-channel Analog set, then set Stereo Signal to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT. This configures both pair of the Dedicated Stereo Analog outs to respond to all of the settings which normally affect the LF/RF outs of the multi-channel set.

If you want to wire the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs for *OTHER* use -- separate from your multi-channel wiring -- THEN you use the Stereo Output DOWN-MIXED STEREO setting you just cited. This keeps them independent of the settings that apply to LF/RF of the multi-channel set.

--Bob

Hey bob, thanks so much for all the info. For beginners like me pleases reiterate if I understand the above correct...

Before reading the above, I was going to run 4 pairs of RCA cables to my AVR.
2 cables for dedicated 2.0 for all the audiophile goodies, and 6 cables for my 5.1 listening of mostly movies but also some SACD's.

If I understand the above, I can skip plugging in multichannel FL/FR if I already have dedicated Stereo L/R connected and the setting in the player set up accordingly (I'll sort that out quick when the remote is in my hand) I will have the best 2.0 for Stereo and a complete 5.1 sound and savings on 1 less pair of RCA's that are unnecessary to connect twice?

I thought the dedicated 2.0 Stereo outs are separated from Digital circuitry and so by design are separated from anything to do with 5.1/7.1.

Thanks Bob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #997 of 1147 Old 04-25-2017, 10:41 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellsv View Post
Hey bob, thanks so much for all the info. For beginners like me pleases reiterate if I understand the above correct...

Before reading the above, I was going to run 4 pairs of RCA cables to my AVR.
2 cables for dedicated 2.0 for all the audiophile goodies, and 6 cables for my 5.1 listening of mostly movies but also some SACD's.

If I understand the above, I can skip plugging in multichannel FL/FR if I already have dedicated Stereo L/R connected and the setting in the player set up accordingly (I'll sort that out quick when the remote is in my hand) I will have the best 2.0 for Stereo and a complete 5.1 sound and savings on 1 less pair of RCA's that are unnecessary to connect twice?

I thought the dedicated 2.0 Stereo outs are separated from Digital circuitry and so by design are separated from anything to do with 5.1/7.1.

Thanks Bob.

You have it correct. If you don't need to wire the Dedicated Stereo Analog outs separately -- in addition to the full set or multi-channel Analog outs -- then you can use either L/R pair of them in lieu of the normal LF/RF RCA pair of the multi-channel set, with Stereo Signal set to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT.

Reasons why you might want to wire them separately would be that you want a different listening environment distinct from your multi-channel setup. For example to a separate stereo amp and speaker set, or Analog to a stand-alone Headphones amp, or even a separate connection into a Stereo input of your AVR because it just makes it simpler to switch listening configuration pre-sets in the AVR by going between the multi-channel Analog input and the Stereo Analog input. If you want to wire them separately, then set Stereo Signal to DOWN-MIXED STEREO.

----------------------------------------

Here's an example: Some AVRs will offer Surround Sound processing on stereo input -- raising 2 channels of input to more speakers of output. Now using that would require re-digitizing the Analog input, so you might want to avoid it altogether. But if you DO want to use that you need to understand that sending stereo content over the multi-channel Analog hookup won't let you do so. Why? Because the AVR has no way to know that the silence in the other channels of the multi-channel input is "real". I.e., the AVR will think the input is 5.1 or 7.1 even if only the LF/RF channels actually have audio coming in.
--Bob
michaellsv likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 04-25-2017 at 10:56 AM.
post #998 of 1147 Old 04-25-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post
What content is demanding HDMI 2.1?

Mike

I think people are just confused and think HDMI 2.0a and 2.0b are the same thing as HDMI 2.1

keikihula likes this.
post #999 of 1147 Old 04-25-2017, 11:04 AM
Read the FAQ!

^^ On my last point above, I should make a comment about the DTS Neo:6 feature in the OPPO (both in the 203 and 205).

This is digital surround sound processing which can be applied to stereo content (only), to raise it to multi-channel. The resulting multi-channel output will ONLY be available on the multi-channel Analog outs (including the Dedicated Stereo L/R if you are using Stereo Signal FRONT LEFT/RIGHT because you have wired them as part of your multi-channel Analog hookup).

It is the ONLY surround sound processing currently offered in the OPPO.

My testing of this DTS Neo:6 Mode processing shows it to be greatly improved over the same feature found in OPPO's 10x players. It sounds much less "processed". I don't know exactly what OPPO did to improve it, but it certainly worked.

But keep in mind there's a downside to using this feature. When DTS Neo:6 Mode is active -- i.e., set to either Music or Cinema while 2-channel content is being played -- the digital audio signal path in the OPPO is limited to 44.1kHz or 48kHz (depending on the rate of the content you are playing).

This affects both the Digital audio outputs of the player and what gets sent to the DACs for conversion to Analog output.

So if you are playing LPCM 2.0 192kHz audio with DTS Neo:6 Mode set to MUSIC, the audio will actually go through the player as 48kHz. Both for the Digital outs and for what gets sent to the DACs.

The upshot is that you should leave DTS Neo:6 Mode set to OFF unless and until you actually want to use it.

But when you DO want to use it -- and again this will only ever be for folks using the multi-channel Analog outputs -- I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Give it a try!
--Bob
dnoonie likes this.

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 04-25-2017 at 11:13 AM.
post #1000 of 1147 Old 04-25-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Reasons why you might want to wire them separately would be that you want a different listening environment distinct from your multi-channel setup... ....or even a separate connection into a Stereo input of your AVR because it just makes it simpler to switch listening configuration pre-sets in the AVR by going between the multi-channel Analog input and the Stereo Analog input. If you want to wire them separately, then set Stereo Signal to DOWN-MIXED STEREO.

----------------------------------------

Here's an example: Some AVRs will offer Surround Sound processing on stereo input -- raising 2 channels of input to more speakers of output. Now using that would require re-digitizing the Analog input, so you might want to avoid it altogether. But if you DO want to use that you need to understand that sending stereo content over the multi-channel Analog hookup won't let you do so. Why? Because the AVR has no way to know that the silence in the other channels of the multi-channel input is "real". I.e., the AVR will think the input is 5.1 or 7.1 even if only the LF/RF channels actually have audio coming in.

--Bob

Thanks bob. I defiantly want the best Stereo experience out of the 205, so will be using dedicated 2.0 outs for sure, and I was planning to hook up 5.1 with separate 3 pairs of RCAs specifically for the reasons you said... quote

// it just makes it simpler to switch listening configuration pre-sets in the AVR by going between the multi-channel Analog input and the Stereo Analog input//

For my Stereo listening my AVR is preset to turn off all speakers and audessey correction, except main towers. For 5.1 listening I do like audessey running its filters, subwoofer is also ON, but all of that under different presets on the AVR.

So I'm guessing the oppo has its own presets too? Otherwise how will it (know) change which RCAs are being used for audio out when I eject regular CD (that I want output to dedicated 2.0 rca's) and the next disc in is a surround SACD (which will use all 5.0/5.1 channels that I don't want downmixed to 2.0 because I'm saving on 1 pair of Rca)? Does that question makes sense?

Thanks again.

post #1001 of 1147 Old 04-25-2017, 11:37 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Thanks bob. I defiantly want the best Stereo experience out of the 205, so will be using dedicated 2.0 outs for sure, and I was planning to hook up 5.1 with separate 3 pairs of RCAs specifically for the reasons you said... quote

// it just makes it simpler to switch listening configuration pre-sets in the AVR by going between the multi-channel Analog input and the Stereo Analog input//

For my Stereo listening my AVR is preset to turn off all speakers and audessey correction, except main towers. For 5.1 listening I do like audessey running its filters, subwoofer is also ON, but all of that under different presets on the AVR.

So I'm guessing the oppo has its own presets too? Otherwise how will it (know) change which RCAs are being used for audio out when I eject regular CD (that I want output to dedicated 2.0 rca's) and the next disc in is a surround SACD (which will use all 5.0/5.1 channels that I don't want downmixed to 2.0 because I'm saving on 1 pair of Rca)? Does that question makes sense?

Thanks again.

All the audio outputs of the player are live simultaneously. So both the multi-channel and the Dedicated Stereo Analog outs will carry both styles of content without you having to change any settings.
--Bob

post #1002 of 1147 Old 04-25-2017, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by idred View Post
Is there? I would think that everything is now digital, sending 1s and 0s through the HDMI, it really shouldn't matter all that much for video quality. Unless of course, your AVR is messing with the video signal somehow. The HDMI bandwidth should also be there to send both video and audio.
Oh boy...not the whole 0s and 1s 'bit' again.
G-Rex and CygnusX2112 like this.
post #1003 of 1147 Old 04-25-2017, 02:00 PM

Liked: 15
[QUOTE=michaellsv;52508185]I think people are just confused and think HDMI 2.0a and 2.0b are the same thing as HDMI 2.1

OK. Anyone can explain, in layman's terms, what the differences are between HDMI 2.0, 2.0a, 2.0b, and 2.1 ?
post #1004 of 1147 Old 04-25-2017, 02:08 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4762 Post(s)
Liked: 4679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post

OK. Anyone can explain, in layman's terms, what the differences are between HDMI 2.0, 2.0a, 2.0b, and 2.1 ?
The wikipedia has a summary of each version and a comparison table: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi#Version_comparison

Much of 2.1 is still "To Be Announced".

-Bill
65Goat likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #1005 of 1147 Old 04-25-2017, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2187.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	2102849

Life is what you make it.......
post #1006 of 1147 Old 04-25-2017, 06:38 PM

[quote=Spaniard;52514345]
Quote:
I think people are just confused and think HDMI 2.0a and 2.0b are the same thing as HDMI 2.1

In layman's terms, hdmi 2.0 was introduced with 4K standard, 2.0a moniker introduced with HDR/HDR10 content, and 2.0b is a moniker for HLG, which is advanced form of HDR coloration. Take that with a grain of salt

HDMI standard for 2.1 should be introduced in the next few month, and I think there are only approximate numbers re: speed of data travel for future content and ports.

post #1007 of 1147 Old 04-26-2017, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Replacement for Berlin Philharmonic app?

(Apologies if this the wrong place for this)
I have a 105 which I am quite happy with, but was planning to upgrade to a 205 when I buy a 4K TV. The 105 introduced me to the Berlin Philharmonic's "Digital Concert Hall" streaming app. If I upgrade, I lose that, and am thinking of how to replace it. I haven't seen a 4K-capable streamer that has this particular app. I'd like to run the sound through the OPPO to take advantage of its capabilities. I suppose I could see if whatever TV I buy has the app and then run the sound through the OPPO, but I'm not sure I want all sound processing to be done by the OPPO (I currently only use the 105 for its disk-playing abilities, streaming from my NAS, and the Berlin Philharmonic app.)

I believe someone on the anticipation thread also talked about this app. What are other people in this situation considering doing?
post #1008 of 1147 Old 04-26-2017, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdrisco View Post
I believe someone on the anticipation thread also talked about this app. What are other people in this situation considering doing?
Find a way to get their streams from a computer, phone, tablet, Apple TV or Google cast into the 205.

Berliner Philharmoniker Digital Concert Hall
post #1009 of 1147 Old 04-26-2017, 07:45 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2058 Post(s)
Liked: 2568
Quote:
and then run the sound through the OPPO, but I'm not sure I want all sound processing to be done by the OPPO (I currently only use the 105 for its disk-playing abilities, streaming from my NAS, and the Berlin Philharmonic app.)
This implies to me that you aren't using the 105's analog outputs. If that assumption is correct, you may want to consider the 203 instead of the 205 rather than spend a lot of extra money for the analog features that won't get used.
post #1010 of 1147 Old 04-26-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
This implies to me that you aren't using the 105's analog outputs. If that assumption is correct, you may want to consider the 203 instead of the 205 rather than spend a lot of extra money for the analog features that won't get used.
Thanks for the replies. I am using the analog outs, but don't want to run my TiVo through the OPPO in part because I don't want the latter to be on as frequently as I'm watching TV. And I was hoping for more specific suggestions on what devices people were considering. Yes, I see there are a variety of options, but some involve receiving a stream over the internet and then routing the stream over WiFi to the OPPO; I wonder about the impact on sound quality--perhaps I shouldn't be.
post #1011 of 1147 Old 04-26-2017, 12:10 PM

Liked: 5
I'm leaning towards the 203 because I won't use any of the features of the 205. This will be used for 100% movies only.

However I'm not sure about the anti-jitter and maybe the separate HDMI outputs for video and audio.

Is the Anti-Jitter feature worth the extra $700? Or possibly the separate HDMI outputs?

I'm leaning towards no unless someone else thinks differently.
post #1012 of 1147 Old 04-26-2017, 12:13 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idred View Post
I'm leaning towards the 203 because I won't use any of the features of the 205. This will be used for 100% movies only.

However I'm not sure about the anti-jitter and maybe the separate HDMI outputs for video and audio.

Is the Anti-Jitter feature worth the extra $700? Or possibly the separate HDMI outputs?

I'm leaning towards no unless someone else thinks differently.
The 203 already has separate Main and Audio HDMI outs. It just doesn't have the 205's new Anti-Jitter Circuit on its Audio HDMI out.

Given the price difference, I think you'd likely want to feel you have a good use now, or reasonably soon, for more than just one feature of the 205 over the 203.
--Bob

post #1013 of 1147 Old 04-26-2017, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
(Apologies if this the wrong place for this)
I have a 105 which I am quite happy with, but was planning to upgrade to a 205 when I buy a 4K TV. The 105 introduced me to the Berlin Philharmonic's "Digital Concert Hall" streaming app. If I upgrade, I lose that, and am thinking of how to replace it. I haven't seen a 4K-capable streamer that has this particular app. I'd like to run the sound through the OPPO to take advantage of its capabilities. I suppose I could see if whatever TV I buy has the app and then run the sound through the OPPO, but I'm not sure I want all sound processing to be done by the OPPO (I currently only use the 105 for its disk-playing abilities, streaming from my NAS, and the Berlin Philharmonic app.)

I have the app and I run it on webos 3.0 as part of the LG OLED smartTV
post #1014 of 1147 Old 04-26-2017, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by ril850 View Post
Attachment 2102849

Someone at Fedex ignored the Fragile sticker.
post #1015 of 1147 Old 04-26-2017, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I am using the analog outs, but don't want to run my TiVo through the OPPO in part because I don't want the latter to be on as frequently as I'm watching TV. And I was hoping for more specific suggestions on what devices people were considering. Yes, I see there are a variety of options, but some involve receiving a stream over the internet and then routing the stream over WiFi to the OPPO; I wonder about the impact on sound quality--perhaps I shouldn't be.

Amazon Fire TV has the app so you could get an Amazon Fire TV Stick, plug it right in the HDMI in on the back of the 203 or 205 and stream right from there.

Pres2play likes this.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #1016 of 1147 Old 04-26-2017, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 39
So I set up my 205 tonight and made a few observations.
First, I have my hdmi cable running behind the wall to an hdmi outlet. From the outlet it goes to my Marantz 8802A. Tv is a Panasonic ST60 plasma. When I plugged in 205 I got no picture. I then removed hdmi cable between receiver and hdmi outlet and replaced it with Oppo supplied hdmi cable. Then I powered everything back up and we had a picture. Phew! I thought I was dead and going to need to replace hdmi cable behind the wall. Funny thing is the old cable I replaced was a top of the line "monster cable". So much for that thing.
2nd observation. When I checked my receiver (8802A) to see the signal I was gettting. It showed 12 bit ycrbr 4.4.4. I don't think my tv is 12 bit. It's like 3 years old . I left all my settings on auto. Still messing with this thing but just wanted to know if anyone knew what was up with the 12 bit. My previous player which is now for sale (105) always showed ycrbr 4.2.2 8 bit.

Life is what you make it.......
post #1017 of 1147 Old 04-27-2017, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
Amazon Fire TV has the app so you could get an Amazon Fire TV Stick, plug it right in the HDMI in on the back of the 203 or 205 and stream right from there.

I have a Roku and I will run that into the HDMI slot so I can also use the headphone amp for late night 1AM listening when I need thinks quiet in the house. I know people are not happy about the lack of APPs but I think I prefer my own streaming device (they really aren't that much even for the top of line Roku). You will most likely have more streaming choices anyway and I love that Oppo has HDMI in. Really nice feature.

I would not sweat the lack of apps on the Oppo although I totally get that these are not inexpensive units. Oppo will really need to decide what they want to be in the future as disc sales continue to decline in favor of streaming. I would love them to take streaming to the next level wherever that may be.

For now though the Roku via HDMI in, headphone amp and disc spinner are perfect for my needs. I look forward to get it going next week.

Rick
ril850 likes this.
post #1018 of 1147 Old 04-27-2017, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 365
FedEx keeps toying with me, initial scheduled delivery date was Saturday but changed that night to Friday. A day later it changed to Saturday but now back to Friday which I think will stick since package is at location 60 miles away

Guess it's time to list my 203

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #1019 of 1147 Old 04-27-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post

Thank you. If and when I eventually buy the 205, I will likely either connect it and a smart TV, such as the LG, and use the HDMI ARC channel to receive the audio from the TV app. Or I will plug a streaming device directly into the HDMI port on the OPPO. Perhaps by then there will be a 4k streamer with the app.
post #1020 of 1147 Old 04-27-2017, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ril850 View Post
So I set up my 205 tonight and made a few observations.
First, I have my hdmi cable running behind the wall to an hdmi outlet. From the outlet it goes to my Marantz 8802A. Tv is a Panasonic ST60 plasma. When I plugged in 205 I got no picture. I then removed hdmi cable between receiver and hdmi outlet and replaced it with Oppo supplied hdmi cable. Then I powered everything back up and we had a picture. Phew! I thought I was dead and going to need to replace hdmi cable behind the wall. Funny thing is the old cable I replaced was a top of the line "monster cable". So much for that thing.
2nd observation. When I checked my receiver (8802A) to see the signal I was gettting. It showed 12 bit ycrbr 4.4.4. I don't think my tv is 12 bit. It's like 3 years old . I left all my settings on auto. Still messing with this thing but just wanted to know if anyone knew what was up with the 12 bit. My previous player which is now for sale (105) always showed ycrbr 4.2.2 8 bit.

Why buy this without even having a 4k panel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page