Sony UBP-X800 UHD Blu-ray Player at CES 2017 - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 175Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #391 of 536 Old 02-23-2017, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
dvdwilly3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Haymarket, VA (metro DC)
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
But I'm wondering what info the X800 UHD BD player shows. Not what info the Display device shows.

I'm curious if it shows the audio/video bitrate. The color space being output etc.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
All of that is shown on the Epson...why do you need to see it on the sending unit rather that the receiving unit?

It is the same information...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...-profiles.html

Atmos Dolby 7.2.4; Epson 6040UB; Panasonic UB820; TiVo Roamio; Roku Stick+

dvdwilly3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #392 of 536 Old 02-23-2017, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,796
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 359
^ Because not all display devices show detailed information.

I suspect the display button on the Sony will show exactly the same stuff its done in the past. Video and audio bit rate. Video and audio codec. If additional languages & subtitles are available. Resolution and framerate. Chapters and time.
apw2607 is offline  
post #393 of 536 Old 02-23-2017, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluemoon737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 3,725
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdwilly3 View Post
All of that is shown on the Epson...why do you need to see it on the sending unit rather that the receiving unit?

It is the same information...
Pretty much guaranteed that the info generated by the Epson is nowhere near as detailed at the "full" display on the Oppo (what you get when you hold the Info button down for a couple of seconds). If for no other reason than the display device isn't likely to give you any info on the audio part of the signal.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
bluemoon737 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #394 of 536 Old 02-23-2017, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
curlyjive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Abington, PA
Posts: 2,120
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Disappointing about sdr bt2020. I will be getting one Saturday and I have an hdfury. So if it can be forced to do so like the Panasonic I will be able to try that. I'm also curious what the Sonys info screen tells you.

In a way I'm hoping it's an easy choice to keep the Panasonic. I'll have the oppo the Panasonic and Sony this weekend. The oppo is going back for sure. If the Sony cannot do bt2020 sdr with the hdfury then it's an easy choice for me!
curlyjive is offline  
post #395 of 536 Old 02-23-2017, 05:09 PM
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,750
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
Disappointing about sdr bt2020. I will be getting one Saturday and I have an hdfury. So if it can be forced to do so like the Panasonic I will be able to try that. I'm also curious what the Sonys info screen tells you.

In a way I'm hoping it's an easy choice to keep the Panasonic. I'll have the oppo the Panasonic and Sony this weekend. The oppo is going back for sure. If the Sony cannot do bt2020 sdr with the hdfury then it's an easy choice for me!
Definitely test that please. I'm very interested in the outcome of that experiment. I assume you have the Linker and not the Integral?

I have an older receiver that I don't wish to replace. All my original 1080p stuff goes through it into one input on my JVC.

I need two devices into the second input on my projector:

A PS4 Pro. It can send HDR BT2020 since I don't care about ultimate black level with video games.

A UHD disc player (Hopefully this Sony). I want it to send SDR BT2020.

I assume the Linker will allow separate settings for each input and function well as a switch.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
AMartin56 is offline  
post #396 of 536 Old 02-23-2017, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
curlyjive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Abington, PA
Posts: 2,120
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
Definitely test that please. I'm very interested in the outcome of that experiment. I assume you have the Linker and not the Integral?

I have an older receiver that I don't wish to replace. All my original 1080p stuff goes through it into one input on my JVC.

I need two devices into the second input on my projector:

A PS4 Pro. It can send HDR BT2020 since I don't care about ultimate black level with video games.

A UHD disc player (Hopefully this Sony). I want it to send SDR BT2020.

I assume the Linker will allow separate settings for each input and function well as a switch.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I have the integral. But that should be able to get sdr bt2020 out of the Sony the same way it does for the Panasonic....if it is at all possible.
curlyjive is offline  
post #397 of 536 Old 02-23-2017, 07:58 PM
Senior Member
 
SLYDoggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 167
One man's disappointment is another's delight. I for one am very happy that the HDR to SDR translation outputs BT.709 rather than BT2020. My projector doesn't support 2020 but it does support 709. One of my issues with the Samsung 8500 is that some HDR UHD movies work fine but others have "off kilter" color. I think this will be just what the doctor ordered for me Will definitely keep an eye on this as others do additional testing.

I'm also very happy that there is an "original format" option for the output resolution. I would much rather my projector do the 4K upscaling for HD discs than have the player do it. That is also an issue I have with my current Samsung 8500 player. I'm constantly having to change the output resolution when I switch from a UHD movie to a HD movie. Otherwise, I'm letting the player do the upscaling, which is not what I want.

Keep the good information coming

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
SLYDoggie is offline  
post #398 of 536 Old 02-23-2017, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
curlyjive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Abington, PA
Posts: 2,120
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
One man's disappointment is another's delight. I for one am very happy that the HDR to SDR translation outputs BT.709 rather than BT2020. My projector doesn't support 2020 but it does support 709. One of my issues with the Samsung 8500 is that some HDR UHD movies work fine but others have "off kilter" color. I think this will be just what the doctor ordered for me Will definitely keep an eye on this as others do additional testing.

I'm also very happy that there is an "original format" option for the output resolution. I would much rather my projector do the 4K upscaling for HD discs than have the player do it. That is also an issue I have with my current Samsung 8500 player. I'm constantly having to change the output resolution when I switch from a UHD movie to a HD movie. Otherwise, I'm letting the player do the upscaling, which is not what I want.

Keep the good information coming
Let us know if you see banding or clipping.
curlyjive is offline  
post #399 of 536 Old 02-23-2017, 11:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bigmoviefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,543
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Yesterday BB App said it would be in Best Buy stores Saturday the 25th. Now it says in stores March 1st. So release at BB was bumped back a bit
Bigmoviefan is offline  
post #400 of 536 Old 02-24-2017, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,233
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6052
Another test, if anyone has a HD Fury, is what the 800 does if you tell it your display is UHD 2020 but not HDR. If it would then do SDR 2020, it is a cheaper option than the Panny 900.

I unboxed mine yesterday, its just like my UHPH1 which I like. Its very weighty but Sony puts a hefty chassis in these premium models, there is nothing else to note if you have seen a UHPH1. I did not have time to swap out for my Panny 900 and test, Mardi Gras is going on here and parades and adult beverages take precedence!

I will get it hooked up tonight before we leave for Mardi Gras vacation.
aaronwt and CaptinCrunch like this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
DP-UB420 / ATV4K (3) / PS Vue
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #401 of 536 Old 02-24-2017, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
curlyjive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Abington, PA
Posts: 2,120
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Another test, if anyone has a HD Fury, is what the 800 does if you tell it your display is UHD 2020 but not HDR. If it would then do SDR 2020, it is a cheaper option than the Panny 900.

I unboxed mine yesterday, its just like my UHPH1 which I like. Its very weighty but Sony puts a hefty chassis in these premium models, there is nothing else to note if you have seen a UHPH1. I did not have time to swap out for my Panny 900 and test, Mardi Gras is going on here and parades and adult beverages take precedence!

I will get it hooked up tonight before we leave for Mardi Gras vacation.
I will be testing with the HDfury Integral tomorrow night. I'll post when I know. When you get setup, can you let us know if the player shows what its outputting...maybe snap a pic of the info screen.
curlyjive is offline  
post #402 of 536 Old 02-24-2017, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,233
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6052
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
I will be testing with the HDfury Integral tomorrow night. I'll post when I know. When you get setup, can you let us know if the player shows what its outputting...maybe snap a pic of the info screen.
No problem, I always check to see what the player says matches what my Marantz says it is getting for color space and bit depth.

Same with streaming, and Ill run spears and munsil too for test patterns. Going to try and get my free movies this morning.
aaronwt likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
DP-UB420 / ATV4K (3) / PS Vue
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #403 of 536 Old 02-24-2017, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
CaptinCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 304
If the HDfury Integral works then I'll be ordering me one. My W900A can display bt2020 and I would love to get a little more extra out of her till OLED drops into my price range or I find a super deal on the Z9.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
CaptinCrunch is offline  
post #404 of 536 Old 02-24-2017, 05:56 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,966
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9320 Post(s)
Liked: 6003
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdwilly3 View Post
All of that is shown on the Epson...why do you need to see it on the sending unit rather that the receiving unit?

It is the same information...
I don't have an Epson. I have a Sony TV. It doesn't give me any of that info. It doesn't even show whether the UHD content is in 24P, 30P, or 60P.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #405 of 536 Old 02-24-2017, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dpippel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Posts: 1,659
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
Yesterday BB App said it would be in Best Buy stores Saturday the 25th. Now it says in stores March 1st. So release at BB was bumped back a bit
My order was originally set to ship for a 2/27 delivery, but this morning I received an email stating that it had been delayed and was expected to ship on 3/25. March 25th?!? Their website, however, shows that I can order today for store pickup on 3/1 or I can get it by 3/3 if I choose to have it shipped, but I cannot cancel my existing order because it's "Preparing". That means I have to call them, because heaven forbid they give online customers the ability to EMAIL customer service.

Really, they have no clue. I hate Best Buy.
b0rnarian likes this.

______________
LG OLED65E6P | Yamaha RX-A2080 | Oppo UDP-203 | Panasonic DP-UB820
My Media Collection

Last edited by dpippel; 02-24-2017 at 06:12 AM.
dpippel is offline  
post #406 of 536 Old 02-24-2017, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,233
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6052
This is what you get after you register the player:

Promotion Code : Redemption code to be emailed separately.
Description : Your product Serial Number is being validated. Once confirmed, your redemption code and instructions will be emailed to you separately within 2-4 business days.
aaronwt and b0rnarian like this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
DP-UB420 / ATV4K (3) / PS Vue
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #407 of 536 Old 02-24-2017, 06:04 AM
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,750
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
If the HDfury Integral works then I'll be ordering me one. My W900A can display bt2020 and I would love to get a little more extra out of her till OLED drops into my price range or I find a super deal on the Z9.
I'm having trouble getting a definitive answer. Will the Linker work as well or does it have to be the Intregal?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
AMartin56 is offline  
post #408 of 536 Old 02-24-2017, 06:06 AM
Member
 
Justin4894's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does the player have the Ultra app by chance?
Justin4894 is offline  
post #409 of 536 Old 02-24-2017, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,233
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin4894 View Post
Does the player have the Ultra app by chance?
Lot of people want to know that one. I unfortunately won't be able to check until about 1700 tonight.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
DP-UB420 / ATV4K (3) / PS Vue
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #410 of 536 Old 02-24-2017, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,632
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
This is what you get after you register the player:

Promotion Code : Redemption code to be emailed separately.
Description : Your product Serial Number is being validated. Once confirmed, your redemption code and instructions will be emailed to you separately within 2-4 business days.
Kind sir, if you could pls confirm the "Orignal Resolution" option in the player that someone pointed out... that would be awesome, the other person wasn't very clear on the matter. Also, IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, pls share some UI screenshots, I just want to know what the layout looks like, Thanks a ton!

Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H (11.2) + OPPO 203 + PS4 + Roku
Disc Lot For SALE : HERE!
b0rnarian is offline  
post #411 of 536 Old 02-24-2017, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,233
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6052
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Kind sir, if you could pls confirm the "Orignal Resolution" option in the player that someone pointed out... that would be awesome, the other person wasn't very clear on the matter. Also, IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, pls share some UI screenshots, I just want to know what the layout looks like, Thanks a ton!

No problem, Ill take shots tonight and post.
aaronwt likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
DP-UB420 / ATV4K (3) / PS Vue
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #412 of 536 Old 02-24-2017, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,632
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
No problem, Ill take shots tonight and post.
Yay! Party ON!

Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H (11.2) + OPPO 203 + PS4 + Roku
Disc Lot For SALE : HERE!
b0rnarian is offline  
post #413 of 536 Old 02-24-2017, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
curlyjive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Abington, PA
Posts: 2,120
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 315
No VUDU I'm guessing?

So if you buy it and end up returning it, can you still get the 2 free UHD movies?
curlyjive is offline  
post #414 of 536 Old 02-24-2017, 06:20 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,966
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9320 Post(s)
Liked: 6003
The other Sony BD players have Vudu. So I expect the X800 also has Vudu. But does it has access to the Vudu UHD encodes is the question?

ANd right now only a tiny number of devices has access to those Vudu UHD encodes. And of course Vudu is still only using Dolby Vision. SO even if the X800 has access to the Vudu UHD content, it can only play it back in SDR.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #415 of 536 Old 02-24-2017, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,143
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Can we get an owners thread started?
wmoss35 is offline  
post #416 of 536 Old 02-24-2017, 06:52 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,966
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9320 Post(s)
Liked: 6003
I was going to pick up a best buy 10% off coupon to use with the x800 purchase. But I see that Sony BD players are excluded.
aaronwt is online now  
post #417 of 536 Old 02-24-2017, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
curlyjive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Abington, PA
Posts: 2,120
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The other Sony BD players have Vudu. So I expect the X800 also has Vudu. But does it has access to the Vudu UHD encodes is the question?

ANd right now only a tiny number of devices has access to those Vudu UHD encodes. And of course Vudu is still only using Dolby Vision. SO even if the X800 has access to the Vudu UHD content, it can only play it back in SDR.
You're right, I meant the UHD version. I have a ROKU 4k sitting in the box that I had planned to run through the Oppo 203 input....lol
curlyjive is offline  
post #418 of 536 Old 02-24-2017, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
LDBetaGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 199
The only apps showing are Amazon Video, Netflix, Vudu and Opera TV. When I click on the Vudu or Amazon app, a screen appears that says "This unit need a software update in order to receive more new and exciting content." However, when I attempt a software update, it says that everything is up to date! Only Netflix seems to open properly.
LDBetaGuy is offline  
post #419 of 536 Old 02-24-2017, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
curlyjive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Abington, PA
Posts: 2,120
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
The only apps showing are Amazon Video, Netflix, Vudu and Opera TV. When I click on the Vudu or Amazon app, a screen appears that says "This unit need a software update in order to receive more new and exciting content." However, when I attempt a software update, it says that everything is up to date! Only Netflix seems to open properly.
Ruh-Roh!
curlyjive is offline  
post #420 of 536 Old 02-24-2017, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DLCPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 2,396
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1594 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Another test, if anyone has a HD Fury, is what the 800 does if you tell it your display is UHD 2020 but not HDR. If it would then do SDR 2020, it is a cheaper option than the Panny 900.

I unboxed mine yesterday, its just like my UHPH1 which I like. Its very weighty but Sony puts a hefty chassis in these premium models, there is nothing else to note if you have seen a UHPH1. I did not have time to swap out for my Panny 900 and test, Mardi Gras is going on here and parades and adult beverages take precedence!

I will get it hooked up tonight before we leave for Mardi Gras vacation.
I don't / won't be getting the Sony, so can't answer your specific question. But there is another inexpensive option that often gets overlooked. I have the Philips BDP7501 (sells lately for around $225, I happened to get a new one for $160 through another AVS-er), and recently got a used HDFury Integral for $150 (usual price $250).

It works just fine providing SDR/BT2020 to my JVC Projector, and got me in the door for $300 (even at regular prices, the combo is still only $475). It doesn't have the Dynamic slider for conversion that the Panasonic UB900 has, but I'm not sure how much real world impact that makes. Looks pretty good to me!

Some people write it off for its lack of Amazon, but I use a Roku Premiere+ for any streaming I want, so that wasn't an issue for me.

Just another option to consider for anybody who wants SDR/BT2020.

Don

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLCPhoto is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
ces 2017 , Sony , ubp-x800 , uhd blu-ray

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off