AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Blu-ray Players (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/)
-   -   Sony UBP-X800 UHD Blu-ray Player at CES 2017 (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2704665-sony-ubp-x800-uhd-blu-ray-player-ces-2017-a.html)

b0rnarian 03-03-2017 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel (Post 51206745)
I'm dubious about this. Is it a bandwidth issue? I'm thinking that if my AVR can pass the 2160p/60fps video from Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk without issue it shouldn't have any difficulty with DV. It's just ones and zeros, so what's IN the data shouldn't matter.

Haha if it was just about 1 and 0s and not actual hardware, we'd rarely have to upgrade to anything, IE: our regular BluRays could just be upgraded to play UHDs and stream 4K, I know the PS4 is powerful enough to do that along with lots of memory but its not really about that.

dpippel 03-03-2017 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0rnarian (Post 51206889)
Haha if it was just about 1 and 0s and not actual hardware, we'd rarely have to upgrade to anything, IE: our regular BluRays could just be upgraded to play UHDs and stream 4K, I know the PS4 is powerful enough to do that along with lots of memory but its not really about that.

It's about bandwidth. Seriously, does DV exceed 18Gbps? If so how could it meet the 4K UHD standard? If passing DV through a 4K capable AVR is about something other than data throughput, then what is it?

b0rnarian 03-03-2017 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel (Post 51207449)
It's about bandwidth. Seriously, does DV exceed 18Gbps? If so how could it meet the 4K UHD standard? If passing DV through a 4K capable AVR is about something other than data throughput, then what is it?

Yes, its about bandwidth and other things - and yes DV can actually be sent through your HDMI 1.4 legacy receivers so you dont have to upgrade, doesn't even need 2.0 to do it BUT its not going to happen.

The point I am trying to make it is, its all about how these big corporate conglomerates decide to screw the pooch and have you buy all new equipment with "newer" Industry standards so that you will spend more money. There's already talks about coming out with new receivers that will pass through DV HDR and again anybody with DV TVs that want to send the A/V signal straight to the TV with only one HDMI will have to "upgrade" for the millionth time.

A Good example is how HDCP 2.2 came out and everyone had to upgrade their AV Receivers to pass the copy-right protect signals. Well guess what, that code was broken through within 2-3 days by hackers - Off topic a bit but just giving an example of so called industry standards.

Rant over lol

dpippel 03-03-2017 10:08 AM

Well, we'll see. I don't think DV is going to be a problem for most 4K capable AVRs, but if it is the Sony X800 (and the Oppo, Panny, and others) has dual HDMI outputs to get around it. So much for the industry forcing me to upgrade my receiver. ;)

Marc Alexander 03-03-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel (Post 51210305)
Well, we'll see. I don't think DV is going to be a problem for most 4K capable AVRs, but if it is the Sony X800 (and the Oppo, Panny, and others) has dual HDMI outputs to get around it. So much for the industry forcing me to upgrade my receiver. ;)

It has already been confirmed with the Chromecast Ultra and Vizio DV sets that DV does not pass through current AVRs. I believe only D+M have announced plans for updating and only the 2017 models. A tech suggested that certain 2016 models may receive updates as well.

I wish it was as easy as your 0s & 1s simplification. But, the Matrix was fiction and Neo was still an anomaly.

dpippel 03-03-2017 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Alexander (Post 51211161)
It has already been confirmed with the Chromecast Ultra and Vizio DV sets that DV does not pass through current AVRs. I believe only D+M have announced plans for updating and only the 2017 models. A tech suggested that certain 2016 models may receive updates as well.

I wish it was as easy as your 0s & 1s simplification. But, the Matrix was fiction and Neo was still an anomaly.

So what's the issue?

Marc Alexander 03-03-2017 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel (Post 51211265)
So what's the issue?

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...ion-compatible

I believe it have something to do with the HDMI EDID for DV being supported the HDMI switcher (AVR/AVP).

dpippel 03-03-2017 01:18 PM

Thanks for the link.

bluemoon737 03-03-2017 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Alexander (Post 51211161)
It has already been confirmed with the Chromecast Ultra and Vizio DV sets that DV does not pass through current AVRs. I believe only D+M have announced plans for updating and only the 2017 models. A tech suggested that certain 2016 models may receive updates as well.

I wish it was as easy as your 0s & 1s simplification. But, the Matrix was fiction and Neo was still an anomaly.

I'm not convinced the Ultra is actually passing DV to the Vizio. It's funny how DV from the Ultra ONLY works with the Vizio (and not LG??). What OS does the Vizio run? Googlecast, as Google has full ownership of the OS in the Vizio TVs (just watch the P-series video from Matt McRea talking about how the P-series came about). I suspect there is some non-HDMI standards "handshaking" that is taking place between the Ultra and the Vizio's that is being blocked when something else is introduced in the stream (and AVR). The only way we will know for sure is once UHD BD players are fully on-line with DV and discs are available. Until then...it is pure speculation. And I know the comment is going to be...Yamaha/Denon/Marantz said this or that but again...without a verified DV source device (sorry, still can't agree the Ultra is verified....funny how DV is NOWHERE on the product page or in the specs...anymore) how can we know for sure.

Marc Alexander 03-03-2017 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluemoon737 (Post 51217633)
I'm not convinced the Ultra is actually passing DV to the Vizio. It's funny how DV from the Ultra ONLY works with the Vizio (and not LG??). What OS does the Vizio run? Googlecast, as Google has full ownership of the OS in the Vizio TVs (just watch the P-series video from Matt McRea talking about how the P-series came about). I suspect there is some non-HDMI standards "handshaking" that is taking place between the Ultra and the Vizio's that is being blocked when something else is introduced in the stream (and AVR). The only way we will know for sure is once UHD BD players are fully on-line with DV and discs are available. Until then...it is pure speculation. And I know the comment is going to be...Yamaha/Denon/Marantz said this or that but again...without a verified DV source device (sorry, still can't agree the Ultra is verified....funny how DV is NOWHERE on the product page or in the specs...anymore) how can we know for sure.

Ok

djpalacios91 03-03-2017 07:32 PM

I'm not sure if I may have missed this earlier, but is this player going to get a firmware update to enable Dolby Vision?

Marc Alexander 03-03-2017 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djpalacios91 (Post 51224569)
I'm not sure if I may have missed this earlier, but is this player going to get a firmware update to enable Dolby Vision?

Unknown. Once actual discs are released and more announced is when we will likely learn more.

Worf 03-04-2017 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0rnarian (Post 51207809)
A Good example is how HDCP 2.2 came out and everyone had to upgrade their AV Receivers to pass the copy-right protect signals. Well guess what, that code was broken through within 2-3 days by hackers - Off topic a bit but just giving an example of so called industry standards.

HDCP 2.2 has not been broken. At least not in the way HDCP 1.x has been broken with the release of master keys.

They bypassed HDCP 2.2 using a cheap HDMI splitter that was poorly designed and thus was not enforcing HDCP repeater status. Even the HDFury guys didn't break it, they do what they need to do per their HDCP license.

And you only need HDCP 2.2 if you want to do UHD. If you want to do 1080p, HDMI 1.4 is sufficient. All UHD devices will scale back to 1080p if you don't have HDCP 2.2.

Jon S 03-07-2017 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djpalacios91 (Post 51224569)
I'm not sure if I may have missed this earlier, but is this player going to get a firmware update to enable Dolby Vision?

My opinion, not likely... usually manufacturers will state a feature will be available after a firmware upgrade, such as Dolby ATMOS or the older DTS HD Master upgrade a few years ago...

I remember a lot of people asking if their Blu-Ray players could be upgraded to support 3D playback... That also required a new player.

avsscientist 03-20-2017 02:38 AM

Is there another Sony bluray player that has fast load time like the X800?

I don't need 4k but must have 3D so but reviews seem to indicate the S6700 is quite slow: http://www.toptenreviews.com/electro...u-ray-players/

So if insist on the Sony interface then X800 is my best bet?

cdnscg 03-20-2017 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avsscientist (Post 51634937)
Is there another Sony bluray player that has fast load time like the X800?

I don't need 4k but must have 3D so but reviews seem to indicate the S6700 is quite slow: http://www.toptenreviews.com/electro...u-ray-players/

So if insist on the Sony interface then X800 is my best bet?

I think for the price point, the X800 is your best Sony bet. Just waiting for it to arrive in Canada:)

apw2607 03-20-2017 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avsscientist (Post 51634937)
Is there another Sony bluray player that has fast load time like the X800?

I don't need 4k but must have 3D so but reviews seem to indicate the S6700 is quite slow: http://www.toptenreviews.com/electro...u-ray-players/

So if insist on the Sony interface then X800 is my best bet?

The bdp-s6700 loads fast too. That review is questionable. Put the player is quick start mode and it boots instantly.

aaronwt 03-20-2017 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avsscientist (Post 51634937)
Is there another Sony bluray player that has fast load time like the X800?

I don't need 4k but must have 3D so but reviews seem to indicate the S6700 is quite slow: http://www.toptenreviews.com/electro...u-ray-players/

So if insist on the Sony interface then X800 is my best bet?

The Sony UHP-H1 probably does. it looks just like the X800 and plays back the same discs, SACD, DVD-A etc.. except for UHD BDs. ANd they recently dropped the price to $100 below the X800.

teachsac 03-20-2017 03:30 PM

There are separate discussion threads for the X700 models and the UHP-H1 and a Help me choose a player thread in the sticky. Please stick to the Sony X800 UHD player.

Taro El 04-13-2017 05:22 AM

Hey guys, thinking of getting this from Japan.
I know it will play 4K UHD BD discs around the world (since they are region free) but just wanted to double check if it will show subs and languages included in the discs. i.e. Japanese language and subs if I were to play Japanese 4K UHD BD.

Thanks.

adiraval 04-22-2017 10:35 AM

Does anyone have an updated list of which streaming apps are now available with the X800?

Thanks!

aaronwt 04-22-2017 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adiraval (Post 52433041)
Does anyone have an updated list of which streaming apps are now available with the X800?

Thanks!

Amazon
Netflix
Vudu
Hulu
MLB TV
WWE Network
iHeart Radio
Pandora
Opera TV

cdnscg 04-23-2017 11:09 AM

Can you add apps to the X800 that are not preloaded, and how? In Canada it comes with 2:(

slimoli 04-23-2017 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdnscg (Post 52453689)
Can you add apps to the X800 that are not preloaded, and how? In Canada it comes with 2:(

Short answer is no.

DubDriver17 08-17-2017 08:28 PM

To those wondering about the 4K disc choices when you buy the player.

http://imgur.com/r/hometheater/Sjtg3

cdnscg 08-18-2017 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubDriver17 (Post 54651996)
To those wondering about the 4K disc choices when you buy the player.

http://imgur.com/r/hometheater/Sjtg3

In Canada it's 0:confused:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.