Sony UBP-X800 UHD Blu-ray Player at CES 2017 - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 175Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #511 of 536 Old 03-03-2017, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,570
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 1168
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post
I'm dubious about this. Is it a bandwidth issue? I'm thinking that if my AVR can pass the 2160p/60fps video from Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk without issue it shouldn't have any difficulty with DV. It's just ones and zeros, so what's IN the data shouldn't matter.
Haha if it was just about 1 and 0s and not actual hardware, we'd rarely have to upgrade to anything, IE: our regular BluRays could just be upgraded to play UHDs and stream 4K, I know the PS4 is powerful enough to do that along with lots of memory but its not really about that.

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H 11.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Discs For SALE : 4Ks And 2Ks!
b0rnarian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #512 of 536 Old 03-03-2017, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dpippel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Posts: 1,659
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Haha if it was just about 1 and 0s and not actual hardware, we'd rarely have to upgrade to anything, IE: our regular BluRays could just be upgraded to play UHDs and stream 4K, I know the PS4 is powerful enough to do that along with lots of memory but its not really about that.
It's about bandwidth. Seriously, does DV exceed 18Gbps? If so how could it meet the 4K UHD standard? If passing DV through a 4K capable AVR is about something other than data throughput, then what is it?

______________
LG OLED65E6P | Yamaha RX-A2080 | Oppo UDP-203 | Panasonic DP-UB820
My Media Collection
dpippel is online now  
post #513 of 536 Old 03-03-2017, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,570
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 1168
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post
It's about bandwidth. Seriously, does DV exceed 18Gbps? If so how could it meet the 4K UHD standard? If passing DV through a 4K capable AVR is about something other than data throughput, then what is it?
Yes, its about bandwidth and other things - and yes DV can actually be sent through your HDMI 1.4 legacy receivers so you dont have to upgrade, doesn't even need 2.0 to do it BUT its not going to happen.

The point I am trying to make it is, its all about how these big corporate conglomerates decide to screw the pooch and have you buy all new equipment with "newer" Industry standards so that you will spend more money. There's already talks about coming out with new receivers that will pass through DV HDR and again anybody with DV TVs that want to send the A/V signal straight to the TV with only one HDMI will have to "upgrade" for the millionth time.

A Good example is how HDCP 2.2 came out and everyone had to upgrade their AV Receivers to pass the copy-right protect signals. Well guess what, that code was broken through within 2-3 days by hackers - Off topic a bit but just giving an example of so called industry standards.

Rant over lol

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H 11.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Discs For SALE : 4Ks And 2Ks!
b0rnarian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #514 of 536 Old 03-03-2017, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dpippel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Posts: 1,659
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Well, we'll see. I don't think DV is going to be a problem for most 4K capable AVRs, but if it is the Sony X800 (and the Oppo, Panny, and others) has dual HDMI outputs to get around it. So much for the industry forcing me to upgrade my receiver.
bluemoon737 likes this.

______________
LG OLED65E6P | Yamaha RX-A2080 | Oppo UDP-203 | Panasonic DP-UB820
My Media Collection
dpippel is online now  
post #515 of 536 Old 03-03-2017, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 13,338
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5336 Post(s)
Liked: 4839
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post
Well, we'll see. I don't think DV is going to be a problem for most 4K capable AVRs, but if it is the Sony X800 (and the Oppo, Panny, and others) has dual HDMI outputs to get around it. So much for the industry forcing me to upgrade my receiver.
It has already been confirmed with the Chromecast Ultra and Vizio DV sets that DV does not pass through current AVRs. I believe only D+M have announced plans for updating and only the 2017 models. A tech suggested that certain 2016 models may receive updates as well.

I wish it was as easy as your 0s & 1s simplification. But, the Matrix was fiction and Neo was still an anomaly.
aaronwt and b0rnarian like this.
Marc Alexander is offline  
post #516 of 536 Old 03-03-2017, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dpippel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Posts: 1,659
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
It has already been confirmed with the Chromecast Ultra and Vizio DV sets that DV does not pass through current AVRs. I believe only D+M have announced plans for updating and only the 2017 models. A tech suggested that certain 2016 models may receive updates as well.

I wish it was as easy as your 0s & 1s simplification. But, the Matrix was fiction and Neo was still an anomaly.
So what's the issue?

______________
LG OLED65E6P | Yamaha RX-A2080 | Oppo UDP-203 | Panasonic DP-UB820
My Media Collection
dpippel is online now  
post #517 of 536 Old 03-03-2017, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 13,338
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5336 Post(s)
Liked: 4839
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post
So what's the issue?
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...ion-compatible

I believe it have something to do with the HDMI EDID for DV being supported the HDMI switcher (AVR/AVP).
aaronwt likes this.
Marc Alexander is offline  
post #518 of 536 Old 03-03-2017, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dpippel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Posts: 1,659
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Thanks for the link.

______________
LG OLED65E6P | Yamaha RX-A2080 | Oppo UDP-203 | Panasonic DP-UB820
My Media Collection
dpippel is online now  
post #519 of 536 Old 03-03-2017, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluemoon737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 3,725
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
It has already been confirmed with the Chromecast Ultra and Vizio DV sets that DV does not pass through current AVRs. I believe only D+M have announced plans for updating and only the 2017 models. A tech suggested that certain 2016 models may receive updates as well.

I wish it was as easy as your 0s & 1s simplification. But, the Matrix was fiction and Neo was still an anomaly.
I'm not convinced the Ultra is actually passing DV to the Vizio. It's funny how DV from the Ultra ONLY works with the Vizio (and not LG??). What OS does the Vizio run? Googlecast, as Google has full ownership of the OS in the Vizio TVs (just watch the P-series video from Matt McRea talking about how the P-series came about). I suspect there is some non-HDMI standards "handshaking" that is taking place between the Ultra and the Vizio's that is being blocked when something else is introduced in the stream (and AVR). The only way we will know for sure is once UHD BD players are fully on-line with DV and discs are available. Until then...it is pure speculation. And I know the comment is going to be...Yamaha/Denon/Marantz said this or that but again...without a verified DV source device (sorry, still can't agree the Ultra is verified....funny how DV is NOWHERE on the product page or in the specs...anymore) how can we know for sure.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
bluemoon737 is offline  
post #520 of 536 Old 03-03-2017, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 13,338
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5336 Post(s)
Liked: 4839
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
I'm not convinced the Ultra is actually passing DV to the Vizio. It's funny how DV from the Ultra ONLY works with the Vizio (and not LG??). What OS does the Vizio run? Googlecast, as Google has full ownership of the OS in the Vizio TVs (just watch the P-series video from Matt McRea talking about how the P-series came about). I suspect there is some non-HDMI standards "handshaking" that is taking place between the Ultra and the Vizio's that is being blocked when something else is introduced in the stream (and AVR). The only way we will know for sure is once UHD BD players are fully on-line with DV and discs are available. Until then...it is pure speculation. And I know the comment is going to be...Yamaha/Denon/Marantz said this or that but again...without a verified DV source device (sorry, still can't agree the Ultra is verified....funny how DV is NOWHERE on the product page or in the specs...anymore) how can we know for sure.
Ok
Marc Alexander is offline  
post #521 of 536 Old 03-03-2017, 06:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Venezuela
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm not sure if I may have missed this earlier, but is this player going to get a firmware update to enable Dolby Vision?
djpalacios91 is offline  
post #522 of 536 Old 03-03-2017, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 13,338
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5336 Post(s)
Liked: 4839
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpalacios91 View Post
I'm not sure if I may have missed this earlier, but is this player going to get a firmware update to enable Dolby Vision?
Unknown. Once actual discs are released and more announced is when we will likely learn more.
yanks1 and djpalacios91 like this.
Marc Alexander is offline  
post #523 of 536 Old 03-04-2017, 12:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Worf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,178
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
A Good example is how HDCP 2.2 came out and everyone had to upgrade their AV Receivers to pass the copy-right protect signals. Well guess what, that code was broken through within 2-3 days by hackers - Off topic a bit but just giving an example of so called industry standards.
HDCP 2.2 has not been broken. At least not in the way HDCP 1.x has been broken with the release of master keys.

They bypassed HDCP 2.2 using a cheap HDMI splitter that was poorly designed and thus was not enforcing HDCP repeater status. Even the HDFury guys didn't break it, they do what they need to do per their HDCP license.

And you only need HDCP 2.2 if you want to do UHD. If you want to do 1080p, HDMI 1.4 is sufficient. All UHD devices will scale back to 1080p if you don't have HDCP 2.2.
Worf is offline  
post #524 of 536 Old 03-07-2017, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jon S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 4,421
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpalacios91 View Post
I'm not sure if I may have missed this earlier, but is this player going to get a firmware update to enable Dolby Vision?
My opinion, not likely... usually manufacturers will state a feature will be available after a firmware upgrade, such as Dolby ATMOS or the older DTS HD Master upgrade a few years ago...

I remember a lot of people asking if their Blu-Ray players could be upgraded to support 3D playback... That also required a new player.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Jon S is online now  
post #525 of 536 Old 03-20-2017, 01:38 AM
Senior Member
 
avsscientist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is there another Sony bluray player that has fast load time like the X800?

I don't need 4k but must have 3D so but reviews seem to indicate the S6700 is quite slow: http://www.toptenreviews.com/electro...u-ray-players/

So if insist on the Sony interface then X800 is my best bet?

Last edited by avsscientist; 03-20-2017 at 01:54 AM.
avsscientist is offline  
post #526 of 536 Old 03-20-2017, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cdnscg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,705
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsscientist View Post
Is there another Sony bluray player that has fast load time like the X800?

I don't need 4k but must have 3D so but reviews seem to indicate the S6700 is quite slow: http://www.toptenreviews.com/electro...u-ray-players/

So if insist on the Sony interface then X800 is my best bet?
I think for the price point, the X800 is your best Sony bet. Just waiting for it to arrive in Canada
avsscientist likes this.
cdnscg is offline  
post #527 of 536 Old 03-20-2017, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,796
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsscientist View Post
Is there another Sony bluray player that has fast load time like the X800?

I don't need 4k but must have 3D so but reviews seem to indicate the S6700 is quite slow: http://www.toptenreviews.com/electro...u-ray-players/

So if insist on the Sony interface then X800 is my best bet?
The bdp-s6700 loads fast too. That review is questionable. Put the player is quick start mode and it boots instantly.
avsscientist likes this.
apw2607 is offline  
post #528 of 536 Old 03-20-2017, 08:16 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,648
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9100 Post(s)
Liked: 5848
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsscientist View Post
Is there another Sony bluray player that has fast load time like the X800?

I don't need 4k but must have 3D so but reviews seem to indicate the S6700 is quite slow: http://www.toptenreviews.com/electro...u-ray-players/

So if insist on the Sony interface then X800 is my best bet?
The Sony UHP-H1 probably does. it looks just like the X800 and plays back the same discs, SACD, DVD-A etc.. except for UHD BDs. ANd they recently dropped the price to $100 below the X800.
avsscientist likes this.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #529 of 536 Old 03-20-2017, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 14,192
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked: 2061
There are separate discussion threads for the X700 models and the UHP-H1 and a Help me choose a player thread in the sticky. Please stick to the Sony X800 UHD player.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
teachsac is offline  
post #530 of 536 Old 04-13-2017, 04:22 AM
Newbie
 
Taro El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys, thinking of getting this from Japan.
I know it will play 4K UHD BD discs around the world (since they are region free) but just wanted to double check if it will show subs and languages included in the discs. i.e. Japanese language and subs if I were to play Japanese 4K UHD BD.

Thanks.
Taro El is offline  
post #531 of 536 Old 04-22-2017, 09:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Does anyone have an updated list of which streaming apps are now available with the X800?

Thanks!
adiraval is offline  
post #532 of 536 Old 04-22-2017, 07:05 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,648
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9100 Post(s)
Liked: 5848
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiraval View Post
Does anyone have an updated list of which streaming apps are now available with the X800?

Thanks!
Amazon
Netflix
Vudu
Hulu
MLB TV
WWE Network
iHeart Radio
Pandora
Opera TV

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #533 of 536 Old 04-23-2017, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cdnscg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,705
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Can you add apps to the X800 that are not preloaded, and how? In Canada it comes with 2
cdnscg is offline  
post #534 of 536 Old 04-23-2017, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
slimoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: South Florida
Posts: 5,651
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Can you add apps to the X800 that are not preloaded, and how? In Canada it comes with 2
Short answer is no.

I was so happy without HDR...
slimoli is offline  
post #535 of 536 Old 08-17-2017, 07:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 3
To those wondering about the 4K disc choices when you buy the player.

http://imgur.com/r/hometheater/Sjtg3
DubDriver17 is offline  
post #536 of 536 Old 08-18-2017, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cdnscg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,705
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubDriver17 View Post
To those wondering about the 4K disc choices when you buy the player.

http://imgur.com/r/hometheater/Sjtg3
In Canada it's 0
cdnscg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
ces 2017 , Sony , ubp-x800 , uhd blu-ray

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off