UHD Blu-ray players (All) | Comparisons... - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2526Likes

post #391 of 971 Old 01-24-2017, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Here is the outcome of my support ticket:

have spoken to the engineers, and they have confirmed the issue with Atmos files, and your observations for the strip metadata function. They are working through the process to get this resolved with the next firmware release.

Thanks again for the feedback, and looking forward to enhancing your experience with the next release. Still awaiting timing, but expect further developments in this space sooner rather than later.

I am thrilled with their support.
dpippel and muzz like this.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandyka View Post

have spoken to the engineers, and they have confirmed the issue with Atmos files, and your observations for the strip metadata function. They are working through the process to get this resolved with the next firmware release.

Thanks again for the feedback, and looking forward to enhancing your experience with the next release. Still awaiting timing, but expect further developments in this space sooner rather than later.

hey guy,

if have now the panasonic VIERA TX-65CZW954 at home and i am searching for the best uhd player in combination with it (now i have the cambridge azur 752bd).

so my question, what do you think fits bether the pana ub900 or the oppo udp300!?

thx for you help and cheers from vienna!
post #393 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Can't ell you all my secrets I gave them a very detailed description of the issues I am encountering in a way that it benefits their development team as well. Maybe that helped.
I am in the field as well.
I am not in the AV field, but as a sys admin, I'm used to providing technical support with detailed troubleshooting. I was not negative or nasty at all. I just explained what I had found and what I suspected was happening. I said in my email that I hoped this would be useful and that I would be willing to help in any way.

But whatever, as long as they logged it somehow that's all I hoped for.
Bandyka likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yeah I never get anything that nice! If you're a beta bester maybe that's why.

I get answers like this:

"The picture quality of HDR OFF is something that we are looking into, but at this time we have not decided on how we are going to approach the conversion from a default standpoint. Most likely we will try our best to have the default values of the player as close to HDR as possible, with the option for the customer to make explicit changes to the picture quality, including setting things like target nits and gamma output, enabling dithering at 10 and 12-bits, and other such customer controlled alterations. "

and

"Unfortunately we do not have a timetable for releasing such a firmware to the general public as we are actively working on testing and verifying their accuracy in internal and external closed beta testing. It could be weeks, it could be months before we have something that is in a stable enough condition that it can be used by our general customers as a private test or open beta firmware."

Useful information, but not "looking forward to enhancing your experience"
post #395 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 08:22 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingolerrexus von Fundulus View Post
the oppo udp300!?
Why is it that the beta testers are always the last to know about new products???
Smarty-pants likes this.
post #396 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
I get answers like this:

"The picture quality of HDR OFF is something that we are looking into, but at this time we have not decided on how we are going to approach the conversion from a default standpoint. Most likely we will try our best to have the default values of the player as close to HDR as possible, with the option for the customer to make explicit changes to the picture quality, including setting things like target nits and gamma output, enabling dithering at 10 and 12-bits, and other such customer controlled alterations. "
I wouldn't care if at the end of that reply they had called my wife a slut, it is an amazing insight into what they hope they can achieve and is a breath of fresh air, even if they don't pull it off, at least we know they tried, most other company's would not have even replied.
post #397 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
I wouldn't care if at the end of that reply they had called my wife a slut, it is an amazing insight into what they hope they can achieve and is a breath of fresh air, even if they don't pull it off, at least we know they tried, most other company's would not have even replied.
Lol! Yeah, they gave me really good info. It just meant I wasn't sure if my input was at all useful to them or even appreciated. But I agree, other companies are not good at replying at all.
post #398 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Quote:
hey guy,

if have now the panasonic VIERA TX-65CZW954 at home and i am searching for the best uhd player in combination with it (now i have the cambridge azur 752bd).

so my question, what do you think fits bether the pana ub900 or the oppo udp203!?

Hi and welcome to AVSForum.

Get the Panasonic DMP-UB900, for a better picture (very clean/sharp, amazing colors, marvelous, beautiful, true to life, 3D like...) and for trouble-free operation.

Here's one of the truest "unbiased/honest" reviews:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
"Having spent some days with the Pana 900, and a month with the Oppo 203 time for some comparative thoughts,

Construction, Remote what comes in the box and initial impressions

the oppo comes in quite elaborate box, vs the much more compact panasonic which is packaged in a much more utilitarian manner. Both come with decent sized remotes and with ~2m 18gbps hdmi cables. The oppo cable is premium certified with the sticker to identify as such. not that cables at 2m really matters whether premium certified or not in my experience.

Some things blindingly obvious looking at the players... the Oppo is a very swish looking machine...full component width typical component depth. Nice solid case, stylish and polished looking piece of AV gear. Minimum of buttons. The styling overall I very much like vs the older 103. The pana... my god it is a tiny thing ! quite short in component depth but atleast component width, quite low profile. Very much a box mover style disc player but to be fair it is much better built than most of those. They are sure trying wiht a nice shiny top, metal case, with just one bit of useless form over function bling in the plastic crystal look front flap ..couldnt help them selves I guess ! anyways it does look better in the rack vs the sammy uhd player which was a bit more of a challenge with its curvy front and quite low profile case !

The remote on the pana is very nice... nice its back lit and the buttons have a positive feel to them.... using it ....I do miss the motion sensitive remote of the oppo though .... the oppo remote does seem cheaper and more generic by comparison though. these things do matter... in a projector setup and a dark room you want to quickly press a button on the oppo can do that ...on the pana have to hit the light button bottom left hand corner ... having used an oppo for a month...funny the things you get used to...

Getting going and basic settings

On first boot up of the panasonic...hey I could see a main menu ! and this straight through my marantz av8802a processor and through to either my jvc x7000 projector or pioneer kuro krp-500M. I noticed straight off the main menu on the panasonic was in 1080p50 res which is such a much better idea than oppo with their menu using max hdmi bandwidth that most people are going to struggle with existing hdmi cables and those longer than 7m. As some might know currently no premium certified hdmi cables exist over 7m to guarantee most will see the main menu with the oppo, but with the pana no one will have any issue with the menu. So out of box even switching on people are going to find things working with the pana but many I suspect will get caught out with the oppo and find they have to work around this crazy need of oppo to push a menu through at max hdmi bandwidth.

The first evening I spent with the Pana...I mainly just spent setting things up/basic calibration and a few test discs and such. I tend to like to do this with a new player to make sure things are right.

in initial use... the pana comes across as a very polished and sophisticated player...it does make the oppo feel like a beta release product. however the oppo does seem to have a plethora of options etc a lot more the pana. On the pana do also have quite a bit of tweak a ability however tends to keep out of the way but I would suggest still a little less in options than the oppo.

One thing I picked up straight off for instance ... and this might mean something to people and might not. the oppo like just about every brand blu-ray player in the last few years ... since the conception of 3D has a screen size setting. Not that it is totally clear what that does..and given my projector also has it appears a facility which I will explore. But have always without thought bunged in the screen size in the player...so bit of a surprise to not find it any place on the pana. Something will report through to panasonic.

I noted the pana by default going through the settings on the audio side has dynamic range compression as OFF and also bitstream enabled. As distinct from the oppo that leaves dynamic range compression and bit streaming in "auto" settings.

Initial viewing

In initial viewing and on out of box video settings I ran through just one DVD (morcheeba brixton to beijing live concert - PAL), blu-ray (mr and mrs smith) and UHD blu-ray(life of pi) through the pana just to test things. and hey they all just play...through my marantz to either the pio kuro or the jvc x7000 another good surprise ! why a suprise ? well with the oppo out of box ... I couldnt get DVD to play through to my jvc...without some mucking about with settings...vs the pana that just works. Some very initial impressions...not sure there is much difference PQ between the oppo and pana on Blu-ray. With DVD the pana looks sub standard with jaggies and such. With UHD blu-ray the pana looks quite a step up in PQ ...this is keeping in mind with the pana on out of box settings and the oppo having put in quite a bit of work to get decent looking via all three formats. This was a little suprise to me to be honest. that the pana was visibly with issues for DVD...something I need to explore. that blu-ray was not jumping out PQ wise in differnece between them and such a differnece between them for uhd blu-ray particularly since that the pana out of box and not having been setup for looking better than the oppo ?. Which led me to do some further setup and calibration for the panasonic.

Further setup and calibration and further exploration

for DVD looking a bit more carefully its things like guitar strings for instance showing jaggies on the pana... I think I will bring this to pana's attention. perhaps they have something to suggest to improve on this. nothing I could see to improve. On blu-ray I did some basic setup using the wow disney blu-ray. I didnt find greatly too much in difference between in picture settings needed. but what I did find is the color setting I could crank right back to zero for the pana whereas tend to have crank right back for the oppo ? similarly when I came to doing setup for HDR...on the oppo I found I had to raise brightness to +3 in the player otherwise I found I was clipping blacks and not able to adjust with just the projector settings. not something I found on the pana...meaning I could leave the pana settings at zero. Not really sure what is the go with the oppo the way it is and I do hope something oppo can fix with regards clipping black issue.

Anways post setup watching blu-rays back to back...I can definitely now see the image via the pana to my jvc is much sharper cleaner more defined ..vs the oppo image looks softer less defined. I did this using the Lucy blu-ray of which I have two so was easy to do comparing one vs the other switching between the inputs on my marantz.

Comparing uhd blu-ray I used THE Shallows UHD...goodness the difference picture wise between pana and oppo has to be seen ! the pana is really quite a step up indeed. its rich its vibrant its detailed...and more natural looking... eg blake lively when she is being driven to the beach look at her face looks vibrant natural..vs via the pana looks a bit flat and pasty. not that to say the image from the oppo doesnt look great ... its just the image via the pana just looks so much more real and natural. I tell you looking at the images coming off the pana you just sit there saying wow...a simply stunning movie the shallows on uhd. one very glaring and very disappointing thing watching the shallows wiht the oppo...god ... drop outs constantly ...little mini split second ones. cannot believe it.. I have watched the shallows wiht the oppo before and only had one drop out wiht it that time...at end titles... so why is it there is constant audio drop outs this time around . this aspect of the oppo is very frustrating.. Certainly the shallows is un watchable this time around for me via the oppo...with the audio drop outs ... and just simply amazing looking on the pana wiht the gorgeous stunning picture and absolutely no issue audio wise. the pana has wiped the floor of the oppo in this round.

Some general in use comments on more extended viewings

Since that initial setup have had much more extended use watched some more films in length on the pana to compare back to my experiences with the oppo, We watched Samba on blu-ray a french movie (made by same makers of The intouchables) lovely movie. With the pana it just looks so clean clear, such natural colours. Also other movies that have gone through there is an old favourite of mine in "the american" eg in the forest scene I've never seen detail on george clooney's face like this before. More extended viewings on uhd blu-ray with life of pi, good fellas, sicario, the martian and so on and so on. A gazzilion movies have gone through the pana... and there is one thing that has stood out to me out of all of it...

The pana at all times in use no matter the discs played has been faultless... no drop outs...no freezes... no reboots, no crashes no lock ups. With the oppo on the other hand...can be infuriating ... there are times with the oppo will get through a disc...and others like the shallows uhd with its continuous audio drop outs...at some times ...and then will just play through at others....the times when was trying to play the good fellas uhd where it kept freezing at the same point and then going back to the start of the disc... till eventually it would just play through and continue to play through at other times have checked it...this aspect of the oppo is very frustrating .. where can now sit there wondering when it would start mis behaving... and the pana by contrast is such a relief where can just watch a movie and enjoy...

Audio wise
With audio bit streaming off both players... I have not found ANY difference audio wise. and neither there should be. this is putting aside the audio drop outs of the oppo. and talking about sound quality here. Obviously the versatility of the oppo is there as a universal disc player and it does a wonderfull job with sacd and DVDA ...great to hear these discs again...however wiht a black mark of a audio drop out on the very lovely Steely dan gaucho DVDA that decided to have a drop out to interrupt enjoying it.

Some conclusions
The oppo looks a lovely made player, solid in construction and with its conventional build it is perfect a player in sense for a system such as mine. With a player of its calibre and also in its capability with not only video and disc capability but also in multichannel audio. However it is badly let down in use. Frustrating infuriating when it interrupts the listening and viewing experience with its bugs and issues. I've been an early adopter of DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-ray owning first of players in all these formats and while have put up with some aspects of their first release as players its a first for me to own a player such as this in the oppo where its issues actually is so interfering in what should be enjoying music and movies. So while the pana was a very reluctant purchase for me... and perhaps while not a perfect fit in form or capabilites (lacking multichannel ability) - where the pana wins big time is on two fronts...that it works and works seamlessly that it doesnt get in the way of the experience ...instead lets you enjoy it...and immensely with the picture qualtiy its capable off.

So on that note I said good bye to the oppo today. I returned it to a retailer I bought from and is the first item I returned to that retailer in the 30 years of dealing with them ! Thank goodness have retailer like that, that are supportive in taking it back. Its a relief for me moving on form the oppo. And will enjoy the pana for what it is. The oppo will re visit perhaps in 6 months time, its just not ready for prime time right now. perhaps they rushed it to market. Perhaps too many firsts for them. Perhaps oppo will get over the kind of issues they have with this player, not just the bugs but also improve the picture side of things to bring on par with the pana. I'd love them to get there ... as for sure I would love to have the oppo back in my system and have it do all the things I hope it will...."
______

♦ Post no. 187 → https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post49985617
______

That's my honest/sincerest opinion, from extensive researches all over the world. ...Right now @ this time in point.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-25-2017 at 09:33 AM.
post #399 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 09:29 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2326
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Hi and welcome to AVSForum.

Get the Panasonic DMP-UB900, for a better picture (very sharp, amazing) and for trouble-free operation.
When giving advice such as this, you should note that you don't actually have any direct experience with either product so the person receiving the advice can take that into consideration when they spend their actual money.
Spizz, rboster, muzz and 3 others like this.
post #400 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Just in case the OP didn't read the thread; I added "IMO".

Stay tuned, more to come from owners with their comments...
post #401 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Why is it that the beta testers are always the last to know about new products???
Get back to work troubleshooting the new firmware !

Display : JVC X7000 Projector | SE 103" Enlightor 4k | LG 65B6 OLED |
Sources : Panasonic UDP 700 & Vertex| Apple TV4k | HTPC | Sky Q UHD Satellite | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Marantz 8802A | Genelec 8050 LCR | Monitor Audio IDC Sides & Rears | Seaton Sub Master/Slave |
post #402 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
Get back to work troubleshooting the new firmware !
That's a good suggestion; the Oppo 203 is definitely in need to be improved.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-25-2017 at 09:58 AM.
post #403 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked: 2095
If you are taking quotes from this thread, use the quote button. Do not take other member's posts from elsewhere on this site, or from other forum sites, to repost here.
Spizz, rboster, gsr and 6 others like this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #404 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
hey guy,

so my question, what do you think fits bether the pana ub900 or the oppo udp300!?

Read the two quotes below ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachest View Post
I posted in the UB900 owners thread a few days ago. TLDR - The Oppo is going to have the better feature set in the long run, but IMO the Panny is the best disc player right now.
[For the full review visit the Panasonic DMP-UB900 thread.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw View Post
I own both, started with the Panny while waiting for the 203. We all now know that the 203 has some functional issues that are being addressed by Oppo. Not sure what they can achieve, regarding improving the PQ of the 203, but even after adjusting all the settings it was easy to select the Panny as having the better PQ. Night and day better, no, not IMO, but better overall to my eyes. Given Oppo's history with players, I was expecting the opposite.

If you are buying a UHD player for it's features and support, then the Oppo is the better choice IMO. If you are buying a UHD for the PQ, then I currently give the nod to the Panny. To be clear, you should not be disappointed with either player, and both will likely improve over time.

Jim
That's a very fair assessment, both quotes above, plus Al's own review (superb review, totally unbiased). IMO
post #405 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 661
If you want the best player right now then probably the Panasonic would get the nod. A few more firmwares on the OPPO and it will blow the Panasonic out of the water.
Just kidding. Both are excellent players despite the OP's apparent favoritism for the Panny

Clark
post #406 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
When giving advice such as this, you should note that you don't actually have any direct experience with either product so the person receiving the advice can take that into consideration when they spend their actual money.
What you are describing is a "home theater aggregator". One's posts, reviews and opinions (creating the illusion of expertise) are merely culled from other's first person experiences and posts.

I normally will look for reviews and opinions of ppl, reviewers and members that I respect and have demo'd the product to create a short list for purchase. I don't know that I've given advice that I like X product without having first hand experience with it....hopefully, if I have, I've noted that it an outsider's opinion based on not owning or trying the product (based on my perception). But, it's an exception and not the rule.

Maybe the shorthand should be IMP standing for "it's my perception"

Last edited by rboster; 01-25-2017 at 10:38 AM.
post #407 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
If you want the best player right now then probably the Panasonic would get the nod. A few more firmwares on the OPPO and it will blow the Panasonic out of the water.
Just kidding. Both are excellent players despite the OP's apparent favoritism for the Panny
Lol, you got it wrong Clark, because I'm a big Oppo guy; it's one of my favorite companies.
Panasonic I had sour experience in the past (on reliability, but not with their technical dept. who admitted honestly to their faulty laser mechanisms for certain BR player models, back several years ago). I've learned after the facts of course (roughly eighteen months later), after the money already went in Panasonic's bank vaults, and the warranty expired.
With Oppo my 103 has been reliable, three years +
Read post number 3 of this thread; actually read the entire thread.

One member asked a question, I gave my unbiased opinion, even after what I just said above.
It's not about the past, it's about today right in the now. The OP wants a solid/reliable quality picture performing UHD BR player today; the choice he makes is the judicious one today.
Tomorrow is another day, tomorrow never dies...

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-25-2017 at 11:02 AM.
post #408 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked: 2095
This thread is getting very close to becoming locked. We are getting way too many reports. It is up to owners of players to post their comparisons.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #409 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

There is no "owner" in my thread's title; that's why I started it because non-owners can post here as well. It's for everyone.
Anyone can ask questions, anyone can comment, anyone can participate and learn and share.

_____

Couple reviews:

http://www.audiovideohd.fr/tests/448...P-UB900-0.html
http://www.audiovideohd.fr/tests/475...P-203EU-0.html
http://www.audiovideohd.fr/tests/452...D-K8500-0.html

* Use your language translator feature from your toolbar of your favorite browser.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-25-2017 at 12:41 PM.
post #410 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Your own words from the first post in this thread:

"Many people are interested in comparing these two top guns 4K BR players. Many have suggested starting a thread about it.
So here it is; post your screenshots, your measurement results, your audio and video calibration setups, tell us the displays used, the HDMI cables used.

Everything you can think of in comparing the 4K pictures, the upscaling and downscaling pictures, the audio from the analog and digital connections, the 3D BR pictures, the 1080p BR pictures, the best 4K BR transfers compared between these two top-notch players...all here for everyone to post and expose."

NONE of these things can be accomplished unless you are comparing two players that have actually been in your possession. In other words, unless you are or were an owner.
rboster, RxpSGR and smurraybhm like this.

post #411 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
There is no "owner" in my thread's title; that's why I started it because non-owners can post here as well. It's for everyone.
Anyone can ask questions, anyone can comment, anyone can participate and learn and share.
The recommendations of non-owners are useless in a comparison thread. If you haven't seen either player in person, you aren't in the position to be telling others what to buy. I feel like I shouldn't have to explain this.
Spizz, rboster, gsr and 4 others like this.
post #412 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post
Your own words from the first post in this thread:

"Many people are interested in comparing these two top guns 4K BR players. Many have suggested starting a thread about it.
So here it is; post your screenshots, your measurement results, your audio and video calibration setups, tell us the displays used, the HDMI cables used.

Everything you can think of in comparing the 4K pictures, the upscaling and downscaling pictures, the audio from the analog and digital connections, the 3D BR pictures, the 1080p BR pictures, the best 4K BR transfers compared between these two top-notch players...all here for everyone to post and expose."

NONE of these things can be accomplished unless you are comparing two players that have actually been in your possession. In other words, unless you are or were an owner.
I understand that very well. And non-owners can bring information that not everyone is aware of. Non-owners can also ask questions. Non-owners not only have the right to read but also to post and participate. Non-owners are future owners, so they deserve the same equal respect as owners, the same privileges; the right to post and comment and learn and suggest.

Yes, no? Of course yes.
alebonau likes this.
post #413 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1900 Post(s)
Liked: 1303
Quote:
hey guy,

depends in your specific need. I have owned the oppo 203 for some 30 days plus and have pana 900 since. I have owned a cambridge 752 previously for a while and a 751 before that for longer.

neither the 203 or the pana cover aspects some of the aspects of the cambridge. the cambridge sat nicely between the previous oppo 103 and 105 analog wise and with all its capabilities. infact for sound over analog I know myself and a few others preferred the cambridge and it was certainly a lot cheaper but better built than the 103. the cambridge is in line wiht a nice 2ch source in form factor given its construction that mirrors cambridges disc players wiht conventional button placements quality of playback of etc. It was faultless in playback of all formats supported.

the oppo 203 in my experience of it was short of faultless and by quite a margin even wiht legacy disc formats eg with dvda causing me drop outs interrupting the listening experience. I read the other day a fellow getting the same thing even trying to play a CD ???? its analog dac stage not upto the cambridge in my opinion. you'd need to wait for the 205 for that. The pana 900 doesnt have all the disc play back capabilities of the cambridge 752 and also in dvd playback is not on par. the pana ub900 though I have so far found faultless in disc playback otherwise no glitches, no drop outs no freezes no reboots nothing. so overall for non interrupted viewing and if wanting something not getting in the way of your enjoyment experience it would be the 900 that I could only recommend.

overall though I would say both the 900 or the 203 will not at this stage completely replace your 752. so if i were you...and i wish I still had my 752 since what I would recommend at this point in time is keep you 752 and simply supplement with the 900. in combination you'll have a player combination that outruns just having any single other player mentioned here.

in time the oppo 205 will arrive, I would find it hard to believe oppo would release it to the world as a flagship with all the problems the 203 has currently. so that in say 3-6 months time if you are wanting a one box replacement is also an option worth considering. I say 6 months since possible the 205 will be out in 3 but worth giving it some time to earn its right full reputation which the 203 has done nothing to garner !

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)

Last edited by alebonau; 01-25-2017 at 01:22 PM.
post #414 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Read the two quotes below ↓

[For the full review visit the Panasonic DMP-UB900 thread.]

That's a very fair assessment, both quotes above, plus Al's own review (superb review, totally unbiased). IMO

A quick post, I decided to return the 203. I'll wait for it to mature a bit before a repurchase. In the meantime, I'll stick with the Panny for the reasons already discussed. (Just posting this because someone else reached out asking if I could check something on the 203, but it was shipped back today.)

Important to note that I have nothing against Oppo, it's a great company and I expect their new UHD Players to reach the same level of performance their other players have demonstrated historically, and apparently many are already satisfied with the performance, and that's fine, I only reached this conclusion based on the specific Player I had here.

Jim
post #415 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeve View Post
The recommendations of non-owners are useless in a comparison thread. If you haven't seen either player in person, you aren't in the position to be telling others what to buy. I feel like I shouldn't have to explain this.
just as a point of note there are many aspects you dont need to be an owner to make a comparison on. eg long before being an owner off of the pana, I never liked the blingy plastic flap it has or the overall look of the pana vs the oppo which is a lot more conventional looking of the ilk of a more serious looking av component. ok in ownership my opinion of the pana's looks has tempered a bit but doesnt change my overall thought in comparison.

similarly someone going in the shop could pick up both remotes and say hey in comparison I prefer this ones remote... in use both have their bonus's the pana is a much nice remote. the oppo has the motion sensing aspect

infact for potential owners there probably is a lot to be gained with a bit of quality time with both in a shop to make some comparative evaluations. similarly my next encounter with an oppo will not be buying one. i will be borrowing one to get a handle down the track where its at and will on be buying if has made significant gains from where its at ...at the present

additionally most professional reviewers do not often actually own the gear its loaned to them for a 4-6 week period in which they have the time to come to an assessment. so as non owners their recommendation is not of value...? not something id suggest !

you have to also consider even with owners there is going to be varying levels of value in recommendation provided. eg I know one owners who has had his player over a month but not sure beyond trying one disc has done much other with it due to other commitments ? his recommendations would be of value ... am not sure ?

that said in about 10 min of use of the oppo with me highlighted some aspects and others came to light only with extensive use over a 30 day period some even only highlighting to the fore towards the end even past last firmware update and such.

so bring it on i say. impressions, comparisons opinions are welcome from all angles. we are smart enough to put them in perspective do our own filtering.... forums tend to be melting pots... theres no sensible reason to exclude...

Last edited by alebonau; 01-25-2017 at 01:25 PM.
post #416 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Cleeve, non-owners can still give their opinion. The new Vienna man asked a question; anyone can answer.
I have great confidence in some people, and that confidence helps me in my judgement. I balance all coordinates and form an opinion, mine.

Listen, some owners of both players (Pana 900 & Oppo 203) are sometimes bombarded because they say that player is better than the other one!

How many AVS members make purchasing decisions from comparing all the audio/video products out there...none; it's just impossible.
The key here is not about people, it's about toys that work and deliver the best performance. Not every owner uses the same gear/toys to match their 4K BR players. One player might give better results from a projector (DLP, D-ILA, Laser, ...) and another from an OLED or LED or QLED TV, from one brand manufacturer or another.

If I limit the thread I started to only owners of all the UHD/4K BR players out there who have compared them all, there wouldn't be even one post in this thread. No, this thread is for everyone, and non-owners can give their opinion as well. It's up to the readers to make the choice; this is not a contest of posters, it's a contest of players. And everyone is welcome in my thread, if peace and learning and improving are their goal.

This is not about me; this is about what works right now and what doesn't. The Vienna person asked a question; I referred him to Al's review because I believe it's one of the very best here. And to me that's good enough. Plus I've read other comments also on the Pana 900 being trouble-free, and that is number one real life value here when watching a movie @ home. Plus, bonus, it has a fantastic ultra high definition picture...according to many and from some of the screenshots I've seen before...wow! On the other hand the Oppo 203 is on testing ground @ the moment; few owners are experiencing difficulties in its operation. I will never suggest a product not ready yet. And tomorrow we'll see.
Nobody's blind here; we can read...the 900 thread and the 203 thread, and the comments from both owners.
Bob Pariseau is the best of the best; he helped me out before with my 103. So when it was suggested to me that I don't own a 203 and that I shouldn't participate in that thread I thought it was a good idea because I started to realize that the most urgent need was from the issues experienced by their owners, and people like Bob (Pariseau), Bill (wmcclain), gsr, Dave (Smarty-pants), rdgrimes, JohnAV don't need any distraction as beta testers in helping urgent issues so that they can assist right away and if not, help in fixing issues from future firmware updates. That made sense to me.
Cleaning your discs, swapping HDMI cables, buy certified ones...from this place or that one, check your TV video settings, press info button and hold it few seconds, make sure you play the right disc...4K BR instead of the regular Blu-ray included in the package, for longer HDMI runs try this cable, or that one or get a HDMI fiber optic one from Celerity...etc.; all things that have to be considered between all the components forming the chain and making the proper handshaking job. ...Disable CEC, activate this, check your resolution, pass-through from your pre/pro or AV receiver, give your Harmony a delay between activation of each components, follow the right order, etc.

If I am not allowed to post in my own thread because I don't own any UHD BR player right now, then that'll be the day.
If I am not allowed to quote someone's else review, to share with others in my own thread, ....

I cannot post in the 203 owner's thread; not all posters in that thread are owners either. But I do read it all, and I see what members would like to see resolved. And from my readings I try to accommodate other people's wishes, right here. It is clearly indicated @ the beginning of my thread. It's not about me, and I don't need to own to form and share an opinion.

If I see people who compared some of those 4K players and posted their reviews/comments here or on other sites; I will provide the links right here in this thread because that's the main topic. And "unbiased" is the best, just like Al's own review, just like PioManiac's own decision making, just like anyone has the right to.

Epson, JVC, Optoma, Wolf, Runco, ...make 4K front projectors, using various techniques.
Sony, Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Vizio, ...make 4K TVs, having various features and video processing.
The one we pick in matching our next 4K BR player is the one this thread help us for.

But one thing above all else is important to remember; we live now. Today's January 25, 2017. Are you watching a 4K BR flick tonight?
Which machine would that be, and what are you going to experience?

Forget about Bob, forget about me, forget about my opinion; concentrate on the products' comparisons and unbiasedly.

And most importantly, relax and don't take life so seriously; it'll eat you up from the inside out. Have fun, have few good laughs, post some funny clips.

Yes, no? Of course yes.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-25-2017 at 03:47 PM. Reason: typo
post #417 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

~ we live now. Today's January 25, 2017. Are you watching a 4K BR flick tonight?

~.
I must live in the future... its january 25, 2017 8:47am here...."Australians all let us rejoice for we are young and free...."

happy australia day all, do be sure to pop a prawn on the barbie and grab a beer.... ps not sure about the prawn...but we sure will give the barbie a work out and beer will be had

post #418 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
hey guy,

Hey Dude,

Well as others had said, if you want 101% reliability right now get the Panny but if you are thinking long term and are happy with 95% reliability (though I have no issues at all) you can go for the Oppo knowing it will be the better player very shortly, feature wise definitely and I have to say 3D is truly the best I've ever seen on any source, I am sure the same will soon apply to general PQ as well. Support/development is simply outstanding. I used to think there was no better player than the Panny. This is my hands on experience it was enough for me to sell the 101% reliable Panny with no regrets. It is just my opinion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
Yeah I never get anything that nice! If you're a beta bester maybe that's why.

I get answers like this:

and

"Unfortunately we do not have a timetable for releasing such a firmware to the general public as we are actively working on testing and verifying their accuracy in internal and external closed beta testing. It could be weeks, it could be months before we have something that is in a stable enough condition that it can be used by our general customers as a private test or open beta firmware."

Useful information, but not "looking forward to enhancing your experience"
I am no Beta tester but sure would like to be.

Quote:
I have to agree with this, no matter what real hands on experience and time spent with each product simply cannot be substituted with anything this is a fact of life. There is just too much speculation and false info on these forums coming from non owners who had see them for a minute at dealers etc or not even that. You must evaluate them thoroughly in your own home to be able to form a coherent worthwhile opinion. IMO. It's simply common sense.
rboster likes this.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297

Last edited by Bandyka; 01-25-2017 at 02:18 PM.
post #419 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Check out the new Oppo review over on avforums. They report "flawless performance and legendary support" same as my experience.

post #420 of 971 Old 01-25-2017, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have had the Oppo for about a week, zero drop outs or freezes. I have only used it on the current firmware, so that probably explains my lack of issues. I have watched Deadpool (a lil banding in the beginning), X-Men Apocalypse and The Revenant. I will say, I haven't enjoyed it because of this thread. lol I keep questioning if the picture quality could be better on the 900 and have been very close to buying one to see which player I like better.

I don't have HDR on my projector, so I'm hoping Oppo ups their HDR to SDR game. Does the Panny have a Strip Metadata feature too, or is that only possible with an HD Fury?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
blu ray , playback , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page