UHD Blu-ray players (All) | Comparisons... - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2526Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 971 Old 01-26-2017, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
Rathbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 978
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandyka View Post
Panny had this issues with certain displays as well. Can you try and change it to 10bit and/or 422?
I'll test as well.
4:2:2 works, bit depht doesn't matter how it's set. I tried all of them. I did try to connect the Oppo directly to the TV and projector. But issue remains. I would suggest we continue the discussion in the owner's thread.
Rathbone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 971 Old 01-26-2017, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bandyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,879
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Good enough thanks.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
Bandyka is offline  
post #453 of 971 Old 01-27-2017, 05:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Azreil24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 44
So, I managed to get the Oppo 203. Nice peace of hardware. Great build quality. The first thing that you notice, compared to the XB1S, is the silence of the drive. The Box has a loud drive.

I know it's not the best way to compare the two, but I didn't have any duplicate copies of any of my UHD Blu-rays to get a better comparison. Yes, the Oppo 203 is a bit better than the XB1S. As one of the reviews of the Box concluded, dedicated players can squeeze out a bit more detail, and I find that to be true. The Oppo manages to be a bit sharper, have a bit more punch, a bit better light handling and it seems that it has a bit warmer image, compared to the Xbox that has a more colder image.

I had the same settings for both players. Both players where used with out of the box settings (not that the Xbox has many setting options). Discs used, only UHD for now, Deadpool, Sicario, X-Men: Apocalypse, The Expendables 3. Next I'll test the normal Blu-ray upscale, although UHD was the more important factor for me.

My conclusion, if the Oppo is a 10, the XB1S is about an 8,5 - 9, and I'm being a bit hard on the Xbox now, because the differences are really small. Yes, I like the Oppo more, but not that much in order to spend almost 3 times more on it, compared to the Xbox. Don't care about the sound part, I use a stereo setup anyway and the sound is handled by an external DAC.

Now I'm curious if the UB700 offers comparable PQ, as I would pay for that, as it is in the same price range as the Xbox. If the Oppo would have cost 500 dollars, I would have kept it, but the price, here, is 785 dollars (full price is 905, got 120 dollars price reduction for being a loyal customer), compared to the Xbox that cost 285 dollars. That is a big price difference.

LG OLED 65C8P, Sony UBP-X700, Marantz PM6005, Dali Zensor 7, iFi Nano iDSD DAC, Mogami Cables.

Last edited by Azreil24; 01-27-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Azreil24 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #454 of 971 Old 01-27-2017, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,137
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5934
So the guy at Forbes just reviewed the 203:
  • Says he is using 1229B and there have been "multiple FW updates" for the 203 with bug fixes (BS)
  • Says the colors are more lifelike than the 900
  • The image is more crisp than the 900
  • The 900 does better on non UHD sources


BWAHAHAHAHA. These reviewers have become complete jokes.


Im sure the Oppo is great when it can play a disc without stutters or audio blips, or the tray doesnt hang open... I sold mine for a loss, basically because Oppo talked me into keeping it and then only released ONE update in 40 days.
chunon likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #455 of 971 Old 01-27-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,428
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 780
I purchased the Oppo 203 today so I can do direct comparisons in person since I already have the UB900

I have the Sony Z9D, so the DV update announcement got me excited and looking at the Oppo.
WOLVERNOLE and **Amused** like this.
pbz06 is offline  
post #456 of 971 Old 01-27-2017, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AidenL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,006
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
So the guy at Forbes just reviewed the 203:
  • Says he is using 1229B and there have been "multiple FW updates" for the 203 with bug fixes (BS)
    Says the colors are more lifelike than the 900
    The image is more crisp than the 900
    The 900 does better on non UHD sources


BWAHAHAHAHA. These reviewers have become complete jokes.


Im sure the Oppo is great when it can play a disc without stutters or audio blips, or the tray doesnt hang open... I sold mine for a loss, basically because Oppo talked me into keeping it and then only released ONE update in 40 days.
Not one in depth and totally truthful review has appeared yet. They all are superfluous and either have incorrect information or miss testing whole chunks of 203 features. No wonder they are finding no issues, they are just regurgiting marketing info in deference to advertising revenue.

And still no further firmware updates on the horizon.......

EDIT - he does mention the audio dropouts and lip synch issues I see.
alebonau and gadgtfreek like this.

Last edited by AidenL; 01-27-2017 at 10:03 AM.
AidenL is offline  
post #457 of 971 Old 01-27-2017, 11:41 AM
Member
 
**Amused**'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
I purchased the Oppo 203 today so I can do direct comparisons in person since I already have the UB900



I have the Sony Z9D, so the DV update announcement got me excited and looking at the Oppo.


I have the Z as well, looking to get the 203. I would love to see your observations.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
**Amused** is offline  
post #458 of 971 Old 01-27-2017, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
airborn007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
So the guy at Forbes just reviewed the 203:
  • Says he is using 1229B and there have been "multiple FW updates" for the 203 with bug fixes (BS)
  • Says the colors are more lifelike than the 900
  • The image is more crisp than the 900
  • The 900 does better on non UHD sources


BWAHAHAHAHA. These reviewers have become complete jokes.


Im sure the Oppo is great when it can play a disc without stutters or audio blips, or the tray doesnt hang open... I sold mine for a loss, basically because Oppo talked me into keeping it and then only released ONE update in 40 days.
You finally sold it
I'm still thinking do I need an extra UHD player in the bedroom or just return it. After taking some shots of my own using Deadpool, Sully, Deepwater Horizon.......OPPO's just sharper, image is more 3D and the color hard to distinguish but if I had to lean on I would say more natural. OPPO has its glitches and Panny so far trouble free.

For Blu ray playback IDK but Panny wins....maybe a better upcaler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
I purchased the Oppo 203 today so I can do direct comparisons in person since I already have the UB900
That's my man, do it yourself and only you can decide what's best for you.
I have the Sony Z9D, so the DV update announcement got me excited and looking at the Oppo.
This is a plus for sure and interesting to see when it arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
Not one in depth and totally truthful review has appeared yet. They all are superfluous and either have incorrect information or miss testing whole chunks of 203 features. No wonder they are finding no issues, they are just regurgiting marketing info in deference to advertising revenue.

And still no further firmware updates on the horizon.......

EDIT - he does mention the audio dropouts and lip synch issues I see.
Haven't watch Horizon yet due to busy only tested out some scenes for comparison. Hopefully nothing major when I watch it.

LG 65C8 & Sony X950G 65
Panasonic UB820, Denon AVR, SVS Prime Elevation, HSU Subwoofer, Klipsch Reference
Xbox One X

Last edited by airborn007; 01-27-2017 at 06:57 PM.
airborn007 is offline  
post #459 of 971 Old 01-27-2017, 09:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Azreil24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreil24 View Post
So, I managed to get the Oppo 203. Nice peace of hardware. Great build quality. The first thing that you notice, compared to the XB1S, is the silence of the drive. The Box has a loud drive.

I know it's not the best way to compare the two, but I didn't have any duplicate copies of any of my UHD Blu-rays to get a better comparison. Yes, the Oppo 203 is a bit better than the XB1S. As one of the reviews of the Box concluded, dedicated players can squeeze out a bit more detail, and I find that to be true. The Oppo manages to be a bit sharper, have a bit more punch, a bit better light handling and it seems that it has a bit warmer image, compared to the Xbox that has a more colder image.

I had the same settings for both players. Both players where used with out of the box settings (not that the Xbox has many setting options). Discs used, only UHD for now, Deadpool, Sicario, X-Men: Apocalypse, The Expendables 3. Next I'll test the normal Blu-ray upscale, although UHD was the more important factor for me.

My conclusion, if the Oppo is a 10, the XB1S is about an 8,5 - 9, and I'm being a bit hard on the Xbox now, because the differences are really small. Yes, I like the Oppo more, but not that much in order to spend almost 3 times more on it, compared to the Xbox. Don't care about the sound part, I use a stereo setup anyway and the sound is handled by an external DAC.

Now I'm curious if the UB700 offers comparable PQ, as I would pay for that, as it is in the same price range as the Xbox. If the Oppo would have cost 500 dollars, I would have kept it, but the price, here, is 785 dollars (full price is 905, got 120 dollars price reduction for being a loyal customer), compared to the Xbox that cost 285 dollars. That is a big price difference.
Forgot to mention that I didn't have any playback issues with the Oppo. All played smooth.

LG OLED 65C8P, Sony UBP-X700, Marantz PM6005, Dali Zensor 7, iFi Nano iDSD DAC, Mogami Cables.
Azreil24 is offline  
post #460 of 971 Old 01-27-2017, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bandyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,879
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreil24 View Post
Forgot to mention that I didn't have any playback issues with the Oppo. All played smooth.
It just shows that all opinions are highly personal and setup dependent. I know someone personally who compared the Phillips player to the Xbone and was blown away by how much better the Phillips was and the Phillips is not as good as the Panny or the Oppo

I also think the Oppo's drive is very nosy compared to the Panny so the Xbone is a racket
Still no issues with mine after about two weeks and I use it daily and testing all of its features.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
Bandyka is offline  
post #461 of 971 Old 01-27-2017, 10:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Azreil24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I try to judge them as objectively as I can. In the end it's in my interest to get the best PQ. Yes, overall the Oppo is better than the Xbox, but not "blown away" better, it's just that the Oppo does everything a bit better, but it's not enough to be worth 3 times the price of the Xbox.

If there are settings that would make the Oppo even better, please let me know and I'll try them. Like I wrote, I used the same TV settings for both players, with both players at factory settings.

And ya, the Xbox drive reminds me of old PC CD-ROM drives )

I think that having a receiver between the Oppo and the TV brings up the playback issues.

LG OLED 65C8P, Sony UBP-X700, Marantz PM6005, Dali Zensor 7, iFi Nano iDSD DAC, Mogami Cables.
Azreil24 is offline  
post #462 of 971 Old 01-27-2017, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
DaMacFunkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Manchester, Not the one by the sea
Posts: 862
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandyka View Post
It just shows that all opinions are highly personal and setup dependent. I know someone personally who compared the Phillips player to the Xbone and was blown away by how much better the Phillips was and the Phillips is not as good as the Panny or the Oppo

I also think the Oppo's drive is very nosy compared to the Panny so the Xbone is a racket
Still no issues with mine after about two weeks and I use it daily and testing all of its features.
There is absolutely no physical reason why the Phillips should be worse than the Panasonic, they have the same processing chip, the only reason would be software.
DaMacFunkin is offline  
post #463 of 971 Old 01-28-2017, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
muzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: MA. USA
Posts: 4,549
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
There is absolutely no physical reason why the Phillips should be worse than the Panasonic, they have the same processing chip, the only reason would be software.
A chip is only 1 part of a circuit.
Clark Burk, G-Rex and Bandyka like this.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
muzz is offline  
post #464 of 971 Old 01-28-2017, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
airborn007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreil24 View Post
I try to judge them as objectively as I can. In the end it's in my interest to get the best PQ. Yes, overall the Oppo is better than the Xbox, but not "blown away" better, it's just that the Oppo does everything a bit better, but it's not enough to be worth 3 times the price of the Xbox.

If there are settings that would make the Oppo even better, please let me know and I'll try them. Like I wrote, I used the same TV settings for both players, with both players at factory settings.

And ya, the Xbox drive reminds me of old PC CD-ROM drives )

I think that having a receiver between the Oppo and the TV brings up the playback issues.
There's no majic settings other than what you may be using on your tv settings. If you're happy with teh Xbox as the player than go with your gut instinct. I own both and dont ever use the Xbox One S as my UHD player.

LG 65C8 & Sony X950G 65
Panasonic UB820, Denon AVR, SVS Prime Elevation, HSU Subwoofer, Klipsch Reference
Xbox One X
airborn007 is offline  
post #465 of 971 Old 01-28-2017, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dpippel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Posts: 1,659
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
There is absolutely no physical reason why the Phillips should be worse than the Panasonic, they have the same processing chip, the only reason would be software.
It's like the difference between DACs using the same chipset - it's all in the implementation.
muzz and Bandyka like this.

______________
LG OLED65E6P | Yamaha RX-A2080 | Oppo UDP-203 | Panasonic DP-UB820
My Media Collection
dpippel is offline  
post #466 of 971 Old 01-28-2017, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bandyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,879
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
As for the Xbone vs Phillips this is from that friends I quote: "thanks for lending me the player I was not sold on 4K while watching UHD discs on my Xbone but the Phillips convinced me, it's considerably sharper and colors and chroma handling are noticeable better" then he bought my player and kept it, he is generally known to know his stuff and using a JVC X7000.
However he also said that the Phillips falls short on 1080p upscaling compared to the Panasonic.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
Bandyka is offline  
post #467 of 971 Old 01-28-2017, 02:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Azreil24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Don't know if it's a bug or something, but the menu on the Oppo looks sharper when set to Source Direct than to UHD Auto. The menu seems to be of UHD resolution, so, in this case, shouldn't it look the same with both settings, as the player shouldn't do any scaling as it is already UHD? It seems the same thing happens in movie too (UHD Blu-ray).

LG OLED 65C8P, Sony UBP-X700, Marantz PM6005, Dali Zensor 7, iFi Nano iDSD DAC, Mogami Cables.
Azreil24 is offline  
post #468 of 971 Old 01-28-2017, 04:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Azreil24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreil24 View Post
Don't know if it's a bug or something, but the menu on the Oppo looks sharper when set to Source Direct than to UHD Auto. The menu seems to be of UHD resolution, so, in this case, shouldn't it look the same with both settings, as the player shouldn't do any scaling as it is already UHD? It seems the same thing happens in movie too (UHD Blu-ray).
Never mind, it seems that the Oppo menu is actually 1080p and it looks sharper when it's left in it's original resolution and upscaled by the TV. When set to upscale by the player it looks worse.

LG OLED 65C8P, Sony UBP-X700, Marantz PM6005, Dali Zensor 7, iFi Nano iDSD DAC, Mogami Cables.
Azreil24 is offline  
post #469 of 971 Old 01-28-2017, 05:46 PM
Member
 
miadlor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw View Post

If you are buying a UHD player for it's features and support, then the Oppo is the better choice IMO. If you are buying a UHD for the PQ, then I currently give the nod to the Panny. To be clear, you should not be disappointed with either player, and both will likely improve over time.





Jim
I Agree. I've owned/own many Panasonic higher end items and I am amazed how quickly support is just dropped on their devices. You might get 1-2 firmware updates upfront when the product has first come out, then nothing.
Bandyka likes this.
miadlor is offline  
post #470 of 971 Old 01-28-2017, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,428
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by miadlor View Post
I Agree. I've owned/own many Panasonic higher end items and I am amazed how quickly support is just dropped on their devices. You might get 1-2 firmware updates upfront when the product has first come out, then nothing.
Some players don't need constant firmware. I wouldn't use that as a selling point.
AidenL likes this.
pbz06 is offline  
post #471 of 971 Old 01-29-2017, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dpippel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Posts: 1,659
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreil24 View Post
Never mind, it seems that the Oppo menu is actually 1080p and it looks sharper when it's left in it's original resolution and upscaled by the TV. When set to upscale by the player it looks worse.
I don't believe this is correct. According to everything I've read in the owners thread the 203 menu is 2160p/60Hz, not 1080p. Due to this it causes HDMI handshaking issues with some displays.

______________
LG OLED65E6P | Yamaha RX-A2080 | Oppo UDP-203 | Panasonic DP-UB820
My Media Collection
dpippel is offline  
post #472 of 971 Old 01-29-2017, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Moderator
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 24,793
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2178
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
Some players don't need constant firmware. I wouldn't use that as a selling point.
The problem with that theory is other components in the loop change/progress as well as the physical media. Panny and OPPO's firmware updates are necessary to adapt to those changes.
Bandyka likes this.
rboster is offline  
post #473 of 971 Old 01-29-2017, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dpippel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Posts: 1,659
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Yep. Historically, many of Oppo's firmware updates have been issued to address playback problems with specific discs.

______________
LG OLED65E6P | Yamaha RX-A2080 | Oppo UDP-203 | Panasonic DP-UB820
My Media Collection
dpippel is offline  
post #474 of 971 Old 01-29-2017, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 14,033
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 2051
No price talk outside of the Deals' Areas.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
teachsac is offline  
post #475 of 971 Old 01-29-2017, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bandyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,879
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post
I don't believe this is correct. According to everything I've read in the owners thread the 203 menu is 2160p/60Hz, not 1080p. Due to this it causes HDMI handshaking issues with some displays.
It is 4K on my setup.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
Bandyka is offline  
post #476 of 971 Old 01-29-2017, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,638
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1812 Post(s)
Liked: 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post
I don't believe this is correct. According to everything I've read in the owners thread the 203 menu is 2160p/60Hz, not 1080p. Due to this it causes HDMI handshaking issues with some displays.
its not a set res as such. with the last firmware update it would be what ever you set the resolution to be. i.e. if uhd auto or uhd 24 then limited to uhd bandwidth. if just leave on plain auto then wiht capable display it goes to just about full hdmi bandwidth

out of box it comes on full auto. so if using a 2160p/60 capable display then thats what will get if you plug it into a older gen 1080p set you will get 1080p. the problem arises when you plug into a 2160p/60 display and not using a cable thats capable (no premium certified cables exist past 6m) then likely will not see the main menu and experience handshake issues wiht the menu. many have asked why the oppo menu cant be made 1080p like the pana has. and really for a menu there is no need to be pushing things to the max !

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #477 of 971 Old 01-29-2017, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
iserum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 93
now i own both oppo 203 and ub900, i think they are both good players and only reason to pick oppo over ub900 is 203 has DV and better build quality, it is hard to make any other difference based on PQ with out some sophisticated measurements, Oppo is cheaper and has more warranty than Panasonic.
all the subjective PQ advantage of ub900 over oppo does not make any sense to me.
my ub900 will not output 4:4:4 as 203 did, screen turns pink for some reason, cable is monoprice certified 18 gbps cable, tv connected is samsung JS9000. any suggestion?
i was thinking of buying 2nd oppo 203 but thought let give ub900 a chance, just keep two different players. my advice is pick any of these which ever works for you, you will not be disappointed one bit. i will keep 203 connected to LG C6 and Ub900 to JS 9000.
muzz likes this.

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer Paradigm X12: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights
iserum is online now  
post #478 of 971 Old 01-29-2017, 04:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Amused** View Post
Is anyone using one of the two players as a DAC (meaning connected via analog outputs to an integrated amp)?

Which one produces better sound quality via the analog stereo outputs?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd like to know this too, please

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
**Amused** likes this.
kakamora is offline  
post #479 of 971 Old 01-29-2017, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,638
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1812 Post(s)
Liked: 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakamora View Post
I'd like to know this too, please

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
main limitations are quality of the analog stage and power supplies with either player is nothing really to write home about.

the 205 when released will be the one to get if wanting something with decent analog stage and no doubt will come with good power supply etc.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #480 of 971 Old 01-29-2017, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,428
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Amused** View Post
I have the Z as well, looking to get the 203. I would love to see your observations.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine arrives tomorrow
pbz06 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
blu ray , playback , uhd

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off