UHD Blu-ray players (All) | Comparisons... - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2526Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #481 of 971 Old 01-30-2017, 08:19 AM
Member
 
clint74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint74 View Post
Disregarding all operation performance but just from a PQ (picture quality) point of view I've read here more comments in favor of the Pana but also some in favor of the Oppo and some where the players are considered equal. Some also say that they see no difference in comparison with the Samsung etc.

Given that eyesight as hearing is very subjective and on this I think we can all agree, given that bias exists etc.

Is it that maybe the players (the same model player) do not all perform the same? Some are softer than others? some are crisper than others?

What I really mean is I guess all the Oppo 203 and all the Pana 900 will have to perform within their own spec, but that spec has a degree of variance. Could it be that an Oppo on the higher end of the spec is as good or better than a Pana at a certain level of it's own spec??

Maybe people are just experiencing variation in production tolerances?

I have no idea of how many variations may be possible in the production of UHD players but given the amount of problems experienced with consumer electronics of all genres by members here I would say that this is a possibility. Maybe it's just not al firmware/software...maybe it's also hardware.
If you have TV sets with more or less clouding, banding, uniformity, even bending! etc. why can't you have HUD player with slightly better or worse PQ?

Maybe Pana 900s have on average better PQ than Oppo 203s because they have a better manufacturing process and quality?

Just my 2 cents.

I do own a Pana 900 but was looking into changing it with a 203 before reading this thread!!!!
Anyway I will soon have 2 units for some time and will try to see if there are any differences between them!!! Or better if I can actually see them!
Hello, I guess my post didn't engage anyone on this forum...anyway just to conclude what I have been wondering:

I tested both 900 that had with me for a couple of days and found that I couldn't observe any visible difference in sharpness just watching my TV, though taking photos with a camera (manual exposure settings on tripod) of the same paused frame there were pixels differences between the images, I wouldn't know if it's the pause function on the player or the actual camera sensor differences or other but it doesn't really matter as I don't see them in real life.

One thing that did stand out more from the photos was the difference in brightness between the two players which was apparent. I wouldn't notice this in real life either as I guess that my iris compensates anyway but from the photos it was quite marked (roughly 1/2 EV).

Both players were at factory settings etc. The camera was never moved and the lightning conditions in the room were identical (night). I tested this several times with a few movies and the result was always the same, one player constantly showed a slightly brighter picture.

My conclusion is that I could never pick any of the two players but not all players are made equal...... Again, just my 2 cents.
davehale and Azreil24 like this.
clint74 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #482 of 971 Old 01-30-2017, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaveN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: TN
Posts: 2,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I have the UDP-203 and I just ordered the UB900 on sale from Best Buy. It will be interesting to A/B with my VPL-VW1100ES.
Spizz and G-Rex like this.
DaveN is offline  
post #483 of 971 Old 01-30-2017, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,626
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint74 View Post
Hello, I guess my post didn't engage anyone on this forum...anyway just to conclude what I have been wondering:

I tested both 900 that had with me for a couple of days and found that I couldn't observe any visible difference in sharpness just watching my TV, though taking photos with a camera (manual exposure settings on tripod) of the same paused frame there were pixels differences between the images, I wouldn't know if it's the pause function on the player or the actual camera sensor differences or other but it doesn't really matter as I don't see them in real life.

One thing that did stand out more from the photos was the difference in brightness between the two players which was apparent. I wouldn't notice this in real life either as I guess that my iris compensates anyway but from the photos it was quite marked (roughly 1/2 EV).

Both players were at factory settings etc. The camera was never moved and the lightning conditions in the room were identical (night). I tested this several times with a few movies and the result was always the same, one player constantly showed a slightly brighter picture.

My conclusion is that I could never pick any of the two players but not all players are made equal...... Again, just my 2 cents.
I wonder how much of this is the chroma up samplers at work. the hdmi spec wont allow 4:2:0 that is on disc so all players have to convert to pass over hdmi. so wonder if this is where differences creep in this is without getting into detail differences etc which quite possibly be more apparent given apparent brightness and such.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #484 of 971 Old 01-31-2017, 01:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Azreil24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post
I don't believe this is correct. According to everything I've read in the owners thread the 203 menu is 2160p/60Hz, not 1080p. Due to this it causes HDMI handshaking issues with some displays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandyka View Post
It is 4K on my setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
its not a set res as such. with the last firmware update it would be what ever you set the resolution to be. i.e. if uhd auto or uhd 24 then limited to uhd bandwidth. if just leave on plain auto then wiht capable display it goes to just about full hdmi bandwidth

out of box it comes on full auto. so if using a 2160p/60 capable display then thats what will get if you plug it into a older gen 1080p set you will get 1080p. the problem arises when you plug into a 2160p/60 display and not using a cable thats capable (no premium certified cables exist past 6m) then likely will not see the main menu and experience handshake issues wiht the menu. many have asked why the oppo menu cant be made 1080p like the pana has. and really for a menu there is no need to be pushing things to the max !
So if you guys set resolution to Source Direct you get the Menu in 4K? Try it

LG OLED 65C8P, Sony UBP-X700, Marantz PM6005, Dali Zensor 7, iFi Nano iDSD DAC, Mogami Cables.
Azreil24 is offline  
post #485 of 971 Old 01-31-2017, 01:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,626
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreil24 View Post
So if you guys set resolution to Source Direct you get the Menu in 4K? Try it
i did try it ariel source direct that is ... but wiht the oppo feeding source direct to the jvc you get no signal with DVD as not a format supported by the projector. so never bothered since. it probably was 4k pushed to the max hdmi spec. wouldnt be suprised. as mentioned by default with a display thats capable thats what it will be. however there are ways to avoid it.

overall oppo need to not have a menu at this sort of res though. no real need. however whether they listen and do something about it. as pana has done with their 1080p 50 menu is another thing.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #486 of 971 Old 01-31-2017, 01:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Azreil24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I agree, don't need a 4K menu, I was just saying that the menu isn't actually 4K (as many suggested as being native 4K, but it was actually the player up-scaling the menu to 4K), but 1080p. Even so, is it just me or the menu animation seem a bit slow?
alebonau likes this.

LG OLED 65C8P, Sony UBP-X700, Marantz PM6005, Dali Zensor 7, iFi Nano iDSD DAC, Mogami Cables.
Azreil24 is offline  
post #487 of 971 Old 01-31-2017, 02:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,626
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreil24 View Post
I agree, don't need a 4K menu, I was just saying that the menu isn't actually 4K (as many suggested as being native 4K, but it was actually the player up-scaling the menu to 4K), but 1080p. Even so, is it just me or the menu animation seem a bit slow?
I found the main menu a bit glitchy too on current firmware. As i passed onto oppo locally,

"The new scroll around menu is odd in one way. if hit setup while watching a movie it will go to the setup screen...movie will keep playing but if after making adjustments if hit setup to exit as it says it goes to the home menu and have to scroll back to the disc button on the menu to get back to viewing the movie. you'd think if you hit setup to exit like it says then it would just go back to the movie ?"

not sure ever passed onto or went on to oppo engineers in china. but it is a little odd. implemented on the run with a beta so i guess will get touched up to fix at some stage....
Azreil24 likes this.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #488 of 971 Old 01-31-2017, 02:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Azreil24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 44
It was the same even on the FW it came with, which I believe was not Beta. It just runs slow, like it runs in 10-15 fps. Didn't have any glitches but the remote is so annoying with those big spongy buttons. Most of the times I have to press multiple times in order to get the command sent to the player. The distance is like 2 meters from me to the player and nothing in between that could affect the signal. It's nowhere near as easy to use as my Marantz or LG remotes.
alebonau likes this.

LG OLED 65C8P, Sony UBP-X700, Marantz PM6005, Dali Zensor 7, iFi Nano iDSD DAC, Mogami Cables.
Azreil24 is offline  
post #489 of 971 Old 01-31-2017, 02:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,626
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreil24 View Post
It was the same even on the FW it came with, which I believe was not Beta. It just runs slow, like it runs in 10-15 fps. Didn't have any glitches but the remote is so annoying with those big spongy buttons. Most of the times I have to press multiple times in order to get the command sent to the player. The distance is like 2 meters from me to the player and nothing in between that could affect the signal. It's nowhere near as easy to use as my Marantz or LG remotes.
it is a nice remote in that its ts motion sensitive but thats about all its got going for it. you are right it does feel a bit generic and cheap. the pana one is much better nicer in feel more positive but misses the motion sensitive of the oppo

to be honest theres only couple of times had oppo remote non responsive. once where kept hitting pause and it wouldnt. other time sat there and wouldnt respond to closing the disc tray. both times the plater had frozen crashed. so perhaps more player related than remote

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #490 of 971 Old 01-31-2017, 03:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Azreil24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Could be, although I think I have another Oppo remote, as I have a test 203 unit and the remote they gave me has Netflix and Vudu buttons on it )

LG OLED 65C8P, Sony UBP-X700, Marantz PM6005, Dali Zensor 7, iFi Nano iDSD DAC, Mogami Cables.
Azreil24 is offline  
post #491 of 971 Old 01-31-2017, 03:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,626
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreil24 View Post
Could be, although I think I have another Oppo remote, as I have a test 203 unit and the remote they gave me has Netflix and Vudu buttons on it )
103/105 remote ?

https://www.oppodigital.com/proddeta...d=BDP10xRemote
Azreil24 likes this.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #492 of 971 Old 01-31-2017, 03:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Azreil24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Yep, that's it

LG OLED 65C8P, Sony UBP-X700, Marantz PM6005, Dali Zensor 7, iFi Nano iDSD DAC, Mogami Cables.
Azreil24 is offline  
post #493 of 971 Old 01-31-2017, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,406
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 767
I'm officially an owner of both players now. Running with Sony Z9D and Onkyo RZ900. All cables are certified and high quality (6').

First impressions with the Oppo are very good. Packaged very nicely in the box and I love the full and detailed owners manual.

Oppo looks very nice and classy (so does the Panny) and setup was quick and easy and intuitive. Running latest firmware.

Set for source direct at first to let my TV do the upscale. Played some of my familiar Blu-rays (John Wick, The Force Awakens, and others). No playback issues. Switched to Oppo upscaling as well and didn't notice any differences while standing in front of TV.

Next tried UHD (Sicario, and The Revenant). Left at source direct and looked great. Paused several times to go up close. No audio drops nor other issues.

Hard to say I notice any differences. The Oppo was mostly in source direct (with TV upscaling) while the Panny is at 4:4:4 12-bit. Then again it's hard to pause at exact second and frame. There's also time between switching the two players and the camera phone isn't the best.

I'll keep messing around and try other UHD movies (I own a bunch). So far I'm impressed with both players and can't tell noticeable differences. Certainly the Oppo doesn't look softer to me. I wonder if the various settings and TV's make a difference.
pbz06 is offline  
post #494 of 971 Old 01-31-2017, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 17,126
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreil24 View Post
Could be, although I think I have another Oppo remote, as I have a test 203 unit and the remote they gave me has Netflix and Vudu buttons on it )
Just curious how you obtained your player. (The "test 203 unit"). Seems odd that it didn't come with the proper remote.
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #495 of 971 Old 01-31-2017, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,626
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreil24 View Post
Yep, that's it
regardless they use the same remote codes. my universal remote for instance was programmed using 103 codes and worked the same for basic functions. so cant imagine remote to be an issue ? unless trying to do commands the 203 doesnt have ?

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #496 of 971 Old 02-01-2017, 12:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Azreil24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Just curious how you obtained your player. (The "test 203 unit"). Seems odd that it didn't come with the proper remote.
I got it from a local AV shop. I'm their customer for a few years now. They even gave me a discount if I decide that I want to buy one and they will send me a brand new one after

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
regardless they use the same remote codes. my universal remote for instance was programmed using 103 codes and worked the same for basic functions. so cant imagine remote to be an issue ? unless trying to do commands the 203 doesnt have ?
I was thinking that maybe the 203 remote has different buttons, made from a different material. The 103/105 remote has those spongy buttons, that bend when having to press harder in order for the remote to take the command. Anyway, it doesn't feel like a quality remote, and certainly doesn't work as a quality remote, at least the one I have now. If I decide to buy the Oppo, the store will send me a brand new unit, with the right remote, but I think that the 203 remote is kind of the same as the 103/105.

LG OLED 65C8P, Sony UBP-X700, Marantz PM6005, Dali Zensor 7, iFi Nano iDSD DAC, Mogami Cables.
Azreil24 is offline  
post #497 of 971 Old 02-01-2017, 12:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,626
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreil24 View Post
I got it from a local AV shop. I'm their customer for a few years now. They even gave me a discount if I decide that I want to buy one and they will send me a brand new one after

~
good thinking ... its what my local store has kindly offered me as well for next time I want to experience the oppo rather than having to buy one and go through the pain of return

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreil24 View Post
~
I was thinking that maybe the 203 remote has different buttons, made from a different material. The 103/105 remote has those spongy buttons, that bend when having to press harder in order for the remote to take the command. Anyway, it doesn't feel like a quality remote, and certainly doesn't work as a quality remote, at least the one I have now. If I decide to buy the Oppo, the store will send me a brand new unit, with the right remote, but I think that the 203 remote is kind of the same as the 103/105.
nope same spongy business as the old ones, I know as have have used the previous remotes ...

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #498 of 971 Old 02-01-2017, 04:31 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone got their hands on the Region Free model? Ant glitches?
zakzak is offline  
post #499 of 971 Old 02-01-2017, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
petetherock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Back in Asia for now
Posts: 3,563
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
good thinking ... its what my local store has kindly offered me as well for next time I want to experience the oppo rather than having to buy one and go through the pain of return



nope same spongy business as the old ones, I know as have have used the previous remotes ...
Actually IMHO, the 203 remote feels just a tad better.. different supplier from the 103/105?
Just my personal opinion..
petetherock is offline  
post #500 of 971 Old 02-01-2017, 10:08 AM
Senior Member
 
cougar75's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 389
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 32
What brand hdmi cable do you guys (and gals) recommend.
cougar75 is offline  
post #501 of 971 Old 02-01-2017, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
muzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: MA. USA
Posts: 4,549
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Monoprice "Premium CERTIFIED" seem to get the most love in shorter lengths.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
muzz is offline  
post #502 of 971 Old 02-02-2017, 12:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
Rathbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 978
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
Then again it's hard to pause at exact second and frame. There's also time between switching the two players and the camera phone isn't the best.
Both the Oppo and Pana have frame skipping functionality. So you can skip to the exact frame on both players. The difference is that Oppo does it forward and backward, the Pana only forward.
Rathbone is offline  
post #503 of 971 Old 02-02-2017, 12:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,626
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathbone View Post
Both the Oppo and Pana have frame skipping functionality. So you can skip to the exact frame on both players. The difference is that Oppo does it forward and backward, the Pana only forward.

yes on the oppo for

1. During playback, pressing the PAUSE button temporarily
pauses the program. In this mode, a PAUSE icon will appear on
the TV screen.
2. While a DVD or Blu-ray Disc is paused, pressing the PREV or
NEXT button reverses or advances the video frame-by-frame.
3. Pressing the PLAY button resumes normal playback.

this doesnt work for UHD blu-ray that I recall...

for the pana

While paused, press [2] (2 or [1] (;1).
≥ Each press shows the next frame.
≥ Press and hold to change in succession forward
or backward.
≥ Press [1] to revert to normal playback speed.
≥ BD-Video and AVCHD: Forward only.
≥ MKV, MP4 and MPEG2: Not effective.

next time i try the pana i'll confirm on its operation but I think you are right not in reverse

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #504 of 971 Old 02-03-2017, 07:27 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
THX FOR ALL YOU INFOS!!

What do you think...is it bether to wait until the end of the year for maybe a bether uhd player, or to buy the panasonic ub900 now!?
Ingolerrexus von Fundulus is offline  
post #505 of 971 Old 02-03-2017, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dpippel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Posts: 1,659
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingolerrexus von Fundulus View Post
THX FOR ALL YOU INFOS!!

What do you think...is it bether to wait until the end of the year for maybe a bether uhd player, or to buy the panasonic ub900 now!?
If Dolby Vision is important to you it might be best to wait and see how the 2017 players shake out, or go with the Oppo UDP-203 now. While I think the UB900 is an awesome player, at $700 it's also overpriced by about $200 for what it is.

______________
LG OLED65E6P | Yamaha RX-A2080 | Oppo UDP-203 | Panasonic DP-UB820
My Media Collection

Last edited by teachsac; 02-03-2017 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Price Talk
dpippel is offline  
post #506 of 971 Old 02-03-2017, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 13,880
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 2034
No price talk outside of the Deals' Areas.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
teachsac is offline  
post #507 of 971 Old 02-03-2017, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
Salacak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingolerrexus von Fundulus View Post
THX FOR ALL YOU INFOS!!

What do you think...is it better to wait until the end of the year for maybe a better uhd player, or to buy the panasonic ub900 now!?
PQ on Panasonic has something extra that i can't explain, maybe tech. guys can do, but definitely has more depth & punch especially on HDR content.
Also i read that UB900 has that extra something that UB700 won't have (I can't find the article about it but if i find it i will post here)

Here is i found one
""The difference between the current UB900 and the new UB700 is that the latter lacks analog audio outputs and THX certification. It has a less premium design, a different remote, and a slightly less powerful chroma processor.""

Last edited by Salacak; 02-03-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Salacak is offline  
post #508 of 971 Old 02-03-2017, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
airborn007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post
If Dolby Vision is important to you it might be best to wait and see how the 2017 players shake out, or go with the Oppo UDP-203 now. While I think the UB900 is an awesome player, at $700 it's also overpriced by about $200 for what it is.
I paid less and still think it's overpriced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacak View Post
PQ on Panasonic has something extra that i can't explain, maybe tech. guys can do, but definitely has more depth & punch especially on HDR content.
Also i read that UB900 has that extra something that UB700 won't have (I can't find the article about it but if i find it i will post here)

Here is i found one
""The difference between the current UB900 and the new UB700 is that the latter lacks analog audio outputs and THX certification. It has a less premium design, a different remote, and a slightly less powerful chroma processor.""
I'm in the opposite boat, OPPO has more depth and is sharper for default but I like the Panny for blu ray up scaled more.

LG OLED 65C8 (DTM On)
Panasonic UB820, Denon AVR, SVS Prime Elevation, HSU Subwoofer, Klipsch Reference
Xbox One X
airborn007 is offline  
post #509 of 971 Old 02-03-2017, 09:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborn007 View Post
I paid less and still think it's overpriced.

I'm in the opposite boat, OPPO has more depth and is sharper for default but I like the Panny for blu ray up scaled more.

We got the same tv and I personally prefer letting the E6 doing the upscaling vs the Oppo 203
(Direct source output)


Would you describe the Panny upscaling capability for regular blu ray's as being better than the E6 ?

Living room: LG 65E6, XBR65X930E , Sonos 5.1, OPPO UDP-203, OPPO HA-1, Xbox one X
memento24 is offline  
post #510 of 971 Old 02-03-2017, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
airborn007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by memento24 View Post
We got the same tv and I personally prefer letting the E6 doing the upscaling vs the Oppo 203
(Direct source output)


Would you describe the Panny upscaling capability for regular blu ray's as being better than the E6 ?
I too have it set to to auto so E6 does the upscaling but w/ everything set exactly the same somehow I like the picture more on the Panny when playing Blu ray disc. Placebo effect maybe lol.

Updated: I will have to do more testing with just source direct and see if I noticed any improvement. I read your quote too quickly.

LG OLED 65C8 (DTM On)
Panasonic UB820, Denon AVR, SVS Prime Elevation, HSU Subwoofer, Klipsch Reference
Xbox One X

Last edited by airborn007; 02-03-2017 at 11:22 AM.
airborn007 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
blu ray , playback , uhd

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off