UHD Blu-ray players (All) | Comparisons... - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2526Likes

post #511 of 971 Old 02-03-2017, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborn007 View Post
I too have it set to to auto so E6 does the upscaling but w/ everything set exactly the same somehow I like the picture more on the Panny when playing Blu ray disc. Placebo effect maybe lol.
I'm pretty sure that with Output Resolution set to "Auto", the Oppo upscales 1080p Blu-ray to 2160p. Source Direct mode sends the native resolution of the content to the display.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 971 Old 02-03-2017, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post
I'm pretty sure that with Output Resolution set to "Auto", the Oppo upscales 1080p Blu-ray to 2160p. Source Direct mode sends the native resolution of the content to the display.
I think I did have it the other way around. Source direct it sends raw data untouch to tv and that's where the up scaling takes place and if set to auto it's done by the player right.

LG 65C8 & Sony X950G 65
Panasonic UB820, Denon AVR, SVS Prime Elevation, HSU Subwoofer, Klipsch Reference
Xbox One X
post #513 of 971 Old 02-03-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Correct.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 971 Old 02-03-2017, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Guys, I am in "transition" with my equipment, but for right now, I need a new replacement for my older Panny Blu-ray player. I considered the venerable, highly-regarded Oppo 103 (2K) player, but noted its price is not that different than the newish Oppo 203 (4K) player. I do have a several years-old Denon AVR and a nice, but several years old (pre 4K-shift) JVC projector. I have read mixed reviews on the Oppo 203 and would appreciate recommendations on it for my application NOW, w/ the aforementioned equipment until I can upgrade BOTH my AVR and JVC projector.
Would Oppo 203 be a reasonable purchase at this time for me? Thanks for your advice !
post #515 of 971 Old 02-03-2017, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post
Guys, I am in "transition" with my equipment, but for right now, I need a new replacement for my older Panny Blu-ray player. I considered the venerable, highly-regarded Oppo 103 (2K) player, but noted its price is not that different than the newish Oppo 203 (4K) player. I do have a several years-old Denon AVR and a nice, but several years old (pre 4K-shift) JVC projector. I have read mixed reviews on the Oppo 203 and would appreciate recommendations on it for my application NOW, w/ the aforementioned equipment until I can upgrade BOTH my AVR and JVC projector.
Would Oppo 203 be a reasonable purchase at this time for me? Thanks for your advice !
I've been using one for some time, so yes it would work fine split audio* with a older HDMI based AVR and HD projector. The 203 was meant to be used as a normal BD player as well as a UHD player.

* HDMI 1 out -> projector, HDMI-2 out to AVR.

Oppo Beta Group
post #516 of 971 Old 02-03-2017, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1812 Post(s)
Liked: 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacak View Post
PQ on Panasonic has something extra that i can't explain, maybe tech. guys can do, but definitely has more depth & punch especially on HDR content.
Also i read that UB900 has that extra something that UB700 won't have (I can't find the article about it but if i find it i will post here)

Here is i found one
""The difference between the current UB900 and the new UB700 is that the latter lacks analog audio outputs and THX certification. It has a less premium design, a different remote, and a slightly less powerful chroma processor.""
not sure skimping on the 900s lovely remote would be a good thing. and skimping on chroma processor I would say not necessarily something you want to do as it is a very important piece would suggest as very much needed for all uhd content to chroma up sample to hdmi spec to get across to the screen.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #517 of 971 Old 02-03-2017, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
not sure skimping on the 900s lovely remote would be a good thing. and skimping on chroma processor I would say not necessarily something you want to do as it is a very important piece would suggest as very much needed for all uhd content to chroma up sample to hdmi spec to get across to the screen.
That was my point, many people thinks coming up Panny UB700 will have the same PQ like UB900, i was trying to point that out, they are not.
post #518 of 971 Old 02-03-2017, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 123
This thread has been going on and on. I have not checked it for few days. Are there any direct picture comparison? Did I miss something?
post #519 of 971 Old 02-03-2017, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roudan View Post
This thread has been going on and on. I have not checked it for few days. Are there any direct picture comparison? Did I miss something?
No pro ever compared the two, all we seeing whichever unit they reviewing how great is the PQ and everything else for that unit.
So far we have people who has/had both units and their comparisons.
Roudan likes this.
post #520 of 971 Old 02-04-2017, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
What visible differences are there with the chroma processor?

Chroma differences are less visible than the luminance which is why sources are usually 4:2:0 an the upscaling is done in the display to 4:2:2 or 4:4:4, so I was wondering if the difference in chroma processor is going to be visible at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #521 of 971 Old 02-04-2017, 06:52 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4541 Post(s)
Liked: 4372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post
What visible differences are there with the chroma processor?

Chroma differences are less visible than the luminance which is why sources are usually 4:2:0 an the upscaling is done in the display to 4:2:2 or 4:4:4, so I was wondering if the difference in chroma processor is going to be visible at all.
You can see the differences in chroma upsampling methods using test patterns; Spears & Munsil have an article on this at their site.

Whether it makes a difference when watching actual content: don't know.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #522 of 971 Old 02-04-2017, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
You can see the differences in chroma upsampling methods using test patterns; Spears & Munsil have an article on this at their site.

Whether it makes a difference when watching actual content: don't know.

-Bill
Hi Bill,

Yeah that's what I'd like to know - I know the differences between the different formats, but just wondered if the difference between the upscaling of the two different processors was visible and worth worrying about. I don't need the analog outputs of the 900 so the 700 seems like it should do the job.

Using a test pattern only shows me the player I have, and no reference, so I would need to buy them both, check them out side by side and then I'd know if the difference was worth the extra money or not.

Having said that, I've a feeling in the not too distant future we'll be getting more UHD players that will have the same functionality as the Panny players but with the ability to remove HDR and run UHD, SDR with WCG without the need for an HD Linker or similar, and that's what I really want, so I may just wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #523 of 971 Old 02-04-2017, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by clint74 View Post
Hello, I guess my post didn't engage anyone on this forum...anyway just to conclude what I have been wondering:

I tested both 900 that had with me for a couple of days and found that I couldn't observe any visible difference in sharpness just watching my TV, though taking photos with a camera (manual exposure settings on tripod) of the same paused frame there were pixels differences between the images, I wouldn't know if it's the pause function on the player or the actual camera sensor differences or other but it doesn't really matter as I don't see them in real life.

One thing that did stand out more from the photos was the difference in brightness between the two players which was apparent. I wouldn't notice this in real life either as I guess that my iris compensates anyway but from the photos it was quite marked (roughly 1/2 EV).

Both players were at factory settings etc. The camera was never moved and the lightning conditions in the room were identical (night). I tested this several times with a few movies and the result was always the same, one player constantly showed a slightly brighter picture.

My conclusion is that I could never pick any of the two players but not all players are made equal...... Again, just my 2 cents.
So why did you write all of this about brightness difference and then leave us hanging in suspense as to WHICH ONE WAS VISIBLY AND NOTICEABLY BRIGHTER ?
post #524 of 971 Old 02-04-2017, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quick question regarding firmware updates (apparently critical on this Oppo). If I was to order a 203 unit next week, ~February 6th, 2017, would they send out a unit manufactured around December or so, but more importantly, do they send out units with the latest firmware built in, OR do these units stretch well back in manufacturing with virtually NO firmware updates ?
(it would be kind of nice if one was receive a recent model with a few firmware updates already installed !...maybe too much to expect??)

Thanks for a response.
post #525 of 971 Old 02-04-2017, 10:58 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4541 Post(s)
Liked: 4372
Quote:
Quick question regarding firmware updates (apparently critical on this Oppo). If I was to order a 203 unit next week, ~February 6th, 2017, would they send out a unit manufactured around December or so, but more importantly, do they send out units with the latest firmware built in, OR do these units stretch well back in manufacturing with virtually NO firmware updates ?
(it would be kind of nice if one was receive a recent model with a few firmware updates already installed !...maybe too much to expect??)

Thanks for a response.
It depends on when the unit was boxed up to be ready for shipping. The most recent public beta was recently promoted to official for just this reason, so they could load it on new players. But I don't know if there is any guarantee of what version you will receive.

Updating firmware is easy, can be done with an internet connection in minutes.

You have to be prepared to do updates anyway: there will be more.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #526 of 971 Old 02-04-2017, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
First time poster but long time lurker. Set up is 203 to denon x3300 to lg 65e6p. Had the microfreezing/stutter every few minutes on multiple 3d disc playbacks. Other than the oppo player menu flashing white at times, have not had tray locking problems. Requested and was sent the beta firmware from oppo. Installed today and it fixed the problem (at least on Avatar, Force Awakens, the UK 3d Big Hero 6, and Book of Life).

Still a few bugs like a flashing white digital static on the lower half of screen while on the oppo main menu, but it's not a big deal for me.

Today is last day of a big box sale on pann ub900, and wondering if I should get it to test the players head to head...

Any thoughts?
post #527 of 971 Old 02-04-2017, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by foahfoahfoah View Post
First time poster but long time lurker. Set up is 203 to denon x3300 to lg 65e6p. Had the microfreezing/stutter every few minutes on multiple 3d disc playbacks. Other than the oppo player menu flashing white at times, have not had tray locking problems. Requested and was sent the beta firmware from oppo. Installed today and it fixed the problem (at least on Avatar, Force Awakens, the UK 3d Big Hero 6, and Book of Life).

Still a few bugs like a flashing white digital static on the lower half of screen while on the oppo main menu, but it's not a big deal for me.

Today is last day of a big box sale on pann ub900, and wondering if I should get it to test the players head to head...

Any thoughts?
stay with Oppo because it has dolby vision which is lot better with LG OLED, what i have seen in demo DV is lot better than HDR 10 i have ub900 and 203 both but prefer 203. DV will be enough to get Oppo over Panny in my opinion for sure for OLED owners.

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer Paradigm X12: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights
post #528 of 971 Old 02-04-2017, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:

Thanks for a response.
Both are fantastic. Oppo has a better price point and equal performance and DV (if that's something you look forward to).

I have been putting the Oppo thru heavy use last week or so and messing with all settings and have had zero issues whatsoever. Tested all my patterns and demo materials and couldn't tell a single difference between the ub900 and 203. This included upscaling and 4k material.

I love both players but ended up selling the Panny to a member here because figured might as well get the DV capable player.
post #529 of 971 Old 02-04-2017, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iserum View Post
stay with Oppo because it has dolby vision which is lot better with LG OLED, what i have seen in demo DV is lot better than HDR 10 i have ub900 and 203 both but prefer 203. DV will be enough to get Oppo over Panny in my opinion for sure for OLED owners.

"has" dolby vision ? you've done a demo off it seeing its better than hdr10

as far as DV from what i know oppo doesnt have it. its an update that might come. i dont recall promises made as a cast iron gurantee.

in time likely but lest not get carried away on what it has and hasnt...

post #530 of 971 Old 02-04-2017, 04:56 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked: 2276
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
"has" dolby vision ? you've done a demo off it seeing its better than hdr10

as far as DV from what i know oppo doesnt have it. its an update that might come. i dont recall promises made as a cast iron gurantee.

in time likely but lest not get carried away on what it has and hasnt...
Oppo has announced the feature, so it will be coming sometime this year. Exactly when is unknown at this point.

AFAIK, it's a sure thing that the Panasonic won't be getting DV added.

So if DV is important, the Oppo is probably the better choice.
post #531 of 971 Old 02-04-2017, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foahfoahfoah View Post

Any thoughts?
Head to head for me Panny is the winner, i have a Sony 940C model which doesn't have DV option and i'm not replacing this expensive TV anytime soon so DV is not a consideration for me at this moment. But like i said side by side with HDR discs Panny is a winner, more vibrant, more HDR like picture with Panny and Oppo feels like you are watching 4K only and doesn't have what Panny gives you. This is with my setup and i know many people agrees with me who had both units but you see also some people thinking otherwise. So who is right/correct?
Best option for you i think, somehow see them both and compare yourself and make a decision.
jb442386 likes this.
post #532 of 971 Old 02-04-2017, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I meant oppo will have DV with Fw update,
post #533 of 971 Old 02-04-2017, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just set up and tested the UB900 and for my set up, I didn't see a difference in PQ. I think I enjoyed the color on the 203 a lil more.

I tested chapter 16 from X-Men Apocalypse and went back and forth a few times (annoying). I don't have HDR and am limited 8 Bit 4:2:0 on my 4K projector. My hope is that Oppo really goes to work on Strip Metadata, cause it's hit or miss on most movies I've tested. The Magnificent 7 looks terrible with Strip activated.

If time permits, I will try to take some screenshots with my DSLR. For now, I lean towards Oppo for cost, remote, build quality and sex appeal in my AV rack.
post #534 of 971 Old 02-04-2017, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iserum View Post
I meant oppo will have DV with Fw update,
exactly.... thanks for clarifying

post #535 of 971 Old 02-04-2017, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzy View Post
Just set up and tested the UB900 and for my set up, I didn't see a difference in PQ. I think I enjoyed the color on the 203 a lil more.

I tested chapter 16 from X-Men Apocalypse and went back and forth a few times (annoying). I don't have HDR and am limited 8 Bit 4:2:0 on my 4K projector. My hope is that Oppo really goes to work on Strip Metadata, cause it's hit or miss on most movies I've tested. The Magnificent 7 looks terrible with Strip activated.

If time permits, I will try to take some screenshots with my DSLR. For now, I lean towards Oppo for cost, remote, build quality and sex appeal in my AV rack.
Just out of curiosity, what is the make and model of your projector?

With current firmware, the Strip Metadata is still a work in progress on the Oppo.
When you do have to use it, you will need to set brightness in the player to +8, or a similar compensation in your display.
The crushed black levels in that setting should be fixed with a future firmware update,
but if you currently use the feature, it won't look right unless you compensate for the lower black levels.

I just viewed Mag7 recently too, and I think the PQ of that movie just isn't very good overall.
It's not horrible, but it's not even close to reference level for UHD Blu-ray.
rboster likes this.
post #536 of 971 Old 02-04-2017, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 639
I just posted this in the JVC RS500/600 owners thread, and this being the OPPO vs PANASONIC (I now have both players) thread I thought I should post here too. It may or may not be helpful to some.

I finally had the time to unbox and watch a variety of material on the OPPO 203. Of course, my display is the JVC RS500 so hopefully that makes it relevant to this thread . The first thing I noticed was how substantial in looks and in feel the 203 is. It is very attractive, heavy and built like a tank---but in an elegant way nonetheless. Plugged her in, set up wifi and immediately I get a prompt to update the software--- which was a breeze. Left all the settings at default except for changing to source direct mode from auto.

First up, I watched a sampling of the blu ray versions of Lucy, Sicario, Underworld, The Shallows, X-Men Apocalypse, Deepwater Horizon, Magnificent Seven and Jack Reacher 2. Just wanted to get an idea of the blu ray performance of the 203 before I proceeded to 4K/HDR/SDR BT2020. The Blu ray performance was excellent. The image was sharp with very natural looking colors. No surprise there.

After about two hours of Blu ray sampling, I figured the panels were well warmed up and primed for some 4K HDR, and I used the same movies noted above. As you guys know, I am squarely in the SDR BT2020 camp since I find this mode provides a more consistent image without having to fiddle with gamma D every time I change movies. Most of all, I prefer SDR BT2020 because I get to keep the awesome contrast and black levels of the BCM, and with a functioning DI to boot.

Well, to my surprise, HDR actually looked decent!!! What was really noticeable was the way the 203 resolved the darker (low APL) scenes. It seemed to present more shadow details than I was used to seeing with the Panasonic. I am not sure if it was my internal settings in the Panasonic, but the UB900 seems to have a slight bit of black crush in Low APL scenes. To make it an even playing field, I reset the UB900 to default and re-watched the same scenes and there is definitely some black crush going on, when compared to the 203.

The UB900 does seem a bit more “punchy” in terms of colors but, to be totally honest, I thought the 203 had a more (consistently) natural presentation. I wish I could explain this in more technical terms, but the 203 simply looked more “right.” As for sharpness, I really can’t see any difference between the two.

On to one of the most important aspects; OPPO’s internal strip Meta data vs UB900/Integral combo SDRBT2020. To put it bluntly, the OPPO just isn’t there yet when it comes to “stripping” HDR. In this arena the Panasonic reigns supreme. In strip mode, there is a considerable amount of black crush and no amount of manipulation of the brightness controls (in both the JVC and the OPPO) could rectify this.

Just to get an idea of what the 203 was doing when in strip Meta data mode, with the oppo recommended brightness increased to +8, I put up Mascior’s Black and white clipping patterns. This exercise proved my point that black is being seriously crushed. The 203 is not even resolving 10% black (bar 156) and, in fact, the flashing black bars are not even registering. Turning up brightness to maximum had zero effect. In checking the white clipping point, the 203 was clipping at a healthy 1200 nits.

One odd thing though, I am pretty sure the contrast and brightness controls in the 203 are not active as there were no changes to the patterns no matter which direction I went. Conversely, with the UB900 in SDR B2020 mode, I was able to resolve bar 68 and clip white at the same 1200 nits. I believe it is the Panasonic’s ability to resolve black all the way down to bar 68 that sets it apart from the OPPO when it comes to SDR BT2020.

All things considered, I am happy I got the 203. It produced the best HDR images I have yet seen in my setup and gives me renewed hope that it (HDR) can be an acceptable option with the BCM.

Now, the OPPO is far from perfect as is and here is why. In a relatively my brief time (took be about six solid hours to run this comparison), I have experienced:

1) Random (but brief) Audio dropouts
2) Micro video glitches
3) Lip synch issues (which were kind of fixed when I set delay to about 120 ms)

I am using Premium Certified HDMI cables from Monoprice and my longest run is just 15 feet. I am running HDMI 1 direct to BCM and HDMI 2 to AVR so I doubt the AV glitches are cable related.

If OPPO could introduce some additional controls to fine tune the Strip meta data function, address the micro video glitches, fix the audio drop-outs and audio synch issues, this would truly be the player to own.

I still love my Panny very much and I will be hanging on to it for its amazing SDRBT2020 prowess. But if/when OPPO brings their strip Meta data feature up to speed, the Panny will be relegated to living room duty.

Sorry for the long-winded post guys.
G-Rex and AidenL like this.
post #537 of 971 Old 02-04-2017, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzy View Post

Just out of curiosity, what is the make and model of your projector?

With current firmware, the Strip Metadata is still a work in progress on the Oppo.
When you do have to use it, you will need to set brightness in the player to +8, or a similar compensation in your display.
The crushed black levels in that setting should be fixed with a future firmware update,
but if you currently use the feature, it won't look right unless you compensate for the lower black levels.

I just viewed Mag7 recently too, and I think the PQ of that movie just isn't very good overall.
It's not horrible, but it's not even close to reference level for UHD Blu-ray.
My projector is a Sony 350ES.

Didn't know that, I'll check it out!

I agree. My favorites so far have been X-Men, The Revanent and Lucy.
post #538 of 971 Old 02-05-2017, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Oppo has announced the feature, so it will be coming sometime this year. Exactly when is unknown at this point.

AFAIK, it's a sure thing that the Panasonic won't be getting DV added.

So if DV is important, the Oppo is probably the better choice.
Yep, the UB900 will never support Dolby Vision because it lacks the necessary hardware to do so.

post #539 of 971 Old 02-05-2017, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Could someone please explain what strip metadata is ?

Matt
post #540 of 971 Old 02-05-2017, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The way I understand it, the Strip Metadata function in the UDP-203 removes HDR but preserves the BT.2020 color gamut instead of converting it to BT.709. It's an "experimental feature" right now that has an issue with the black levels it outputs. At this point in time Oppo is recommending bumping the brightness up +8 points when using Strip Metadata until they fix it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
blu ray , playback , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page