UHD Blu-ray players (All) | Comparisons... - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2526Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,396
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I have the LG 65E6, the OPPO 203 and the Panasonic 900. When it comes to upscaling SDR blu ray to 4K, there is absolutely no difference between the 203 and 900. However, I also have the 103D, and prefer that over the 203 and 900 and letting my E6 upscale, because the Darbee effect makes SDR blu ray so much better. Not even close, IMO. When it comes to UHD, I prefer the 203. IMO, it produces a better picture on OLED. I can set the OPPO to 4:4:4 12 bit and have no banding like the Panny does. Sure, I can turn off deep color on the Panny to reduce it, but why should I have to, when it's not required on the OPPO?. I can not tell any difference on which one is "sharper". From 9 feet away from the tv, they look the same. The big selling point is DV HDR, which my E6 can do. The Panny is out in the cold when it comes to that. Am I going to get rid of the panny? No, it's now attached to my 9500, which can not do DV. There is a difference when it comes to sync settings on my AVR. Both setup the same, 4:4:4 12 bit, LPCM, same settings on tv, and the audio sync I have to set my avr with the Panny is 230 ms. The OPPO only requires 70 ms. That's with audio out going directly from player to avr for both, and video going directly to tv.
Why there is such a huge difference, I have no clue.

Both players are good players. Set up properly, they will produce an excellent picture.
I have the UB900 already, paired with the Sony Z9D. Since that TV has been revealed to have DV built in, I became interested in the Oppo and started following those threads just so I have the option of utilizing DV once it becomes reality.

Unfortunately, it's hard to find people that are extremely happy with the Oppo. It's been nothing but issues in those threads and troubleshooting. The Panny was plug and play, everything Auto, and no hiccups. It has been amazing in PQ for both UHD and sdr Blu-ray. Most people that have both tend to lean towards Panny...I'll just keep waiting until more definitive comparisons and tests from pros. I really like the Oppo's potential but might as well wait until DV gets here.

BTW, the Deep Color thing is an issue on the TV side so I wouldn't use it against the Panny. I have it enabled and there's zero banding.
pbz06 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JlgLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint74 View Post
Thanks Jim for the reply.

I wanted to swap because of the said issues with files, but PQ from UHD disks is a priority to me. I can always buy another device (media player, Dune or Zappiti) just for the files.

Here in Europe the Oppo is also 250/300 $ more expensive than the Panny!...so there goes you media player.....

I was hoping for a one does all box.....but it's never this way anyway unless you compromise.....

Regarding the PQ what display device do you have connected and If I understood you have played around with the Oppo picture settings to try to match the Panny to no success. How would you rate the Oppo PQ give the Panny a 10?
Are the Panny picture settings (sharpness etc.) std or customized?
Thanks.

I have connected both players to the Sony VW5000ES laser PJ, a Sony 84" and 85" UHD flat panel, also on the new 65" Z9D. Same result on all, the Panny PQ is better to my eyes, and frankly, it is not that hard to see the differences. Based on your "scale" question, I'd rate the Oppo at 8.5 compared to the 10 you assigned the Panny, and just as a reference point, I find 7 and above to be good to very good PQ, so again, in the end, I think most folks would be fine with either player. (Those numbers are obviously artificial, and of no real value, but you asked.)

Both standard and some adjusting to the settings in each player.

Jim
JlgLaw is offline  
post #33 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 09:06 AM
Member
 
clint74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw View Post
I have connected both players to the Sony VW5000ES laser PJ, a Sony 84" and 85" UHD flat panel, also on the new 65" Z9D. Same result on all, the Panny PQ is better to my eyes, and frankly, it is not that hard to see the differences. Based on your "scale" question, I'd rate the Oppo at 8.5 compared to the 10 you assigned the Panny, and just as a reference point, I find 7 and above to be good to very good PQ, so again, in the end, I think most folks would be fine with either player. (Those numbers are obviously artificial, and of no real value, but you asked.)

Both standard and some adjusting to the settings in each player.

Jim
Thx.
clint74 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brentsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wildwood, MO
Posts: 2,298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
Unfortunately, it's hard to find people that are extremely happy with the Oppo. It's been nothing but issues in those threads and troubleshooting. The Panny was plug and play, everything Auto, and no hiccups. It has been amazing in PQ for both UHD and sdr Blu-ray. Most people that have both tend to lean towards Panny...I'll just keep waiting until more definitive comparisons and tests from pros. I really like the Oppo's potential but might as well wait until DV gets here.
The Panasonic was plug and play for you, at a completely different point in the product's maturity curve. The Panasonic went through its own teething problems when you weren't paying attention.

The thread with people troubleshooting has some legit issues for sure, but many of them are centered around people with projectors that are trying to use the new "experimental" metadata stripping feature, which is something the Panasonic will never do.

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203 | Toshiba HD-XA2
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One X
brentsg is offline  
post #35 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
curlyjive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Abington, PA
Posts: 2,085
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
The Panasonic was plug and play for you, at a completely different point in the product's maturity curve. The Panasonic went through its own teething problems when you weren't paying attention.

The thread with people troubleshooting has some legit issues for sure, but many of them are centered around people with projectors that are trying to use the new "experimental" metadata stripping feature, which is something the Panasonic will never do.
The Panasonic does indeed do what strip metadata does. it requires an HDFury to do so, but it will convert HDR BT2020 to SDR BT2020
curlyjive is online now  
post #36 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brentsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wildwood, MO
Posts: 2,298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
The Panasonic does indeed do what strip metadata does. it requires an HDFury to do so, but it will convert HDR BT2020 to SDR BT2020
It requiring an HD Fury to do so is the very definition of the Panasonic not doing what strip metadata does.

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203 | Toshiba HD-XA2
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One X
brentsg is offline  
post #37 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
curlyjive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Abington, PA
Posts: 2,085
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
It requiring an HD Fury to do so is the very definition of the Panasonic not doing what strip metadata does.
In a sense that's true, but I wanted to make sure others know that the Panasonic has that conversion capability. It's misleading to suggest it can't be done. It's just not forceable as it is on the Oppo. I currently own both. I'll post more on my comparison between the two later.
curlyjive is online now  
post #38 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brentsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wildwood, MO
Posts: 2,298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
In a sense that's true, but I wanted to make sure others know that the Panasonic has that conversion capability. It's misleading to suggest it can't be done. It's just not forceable as it is on the Oppo. I currently own both. I'll post more on my comparison between the two later.
My point was that much of the content of the owners thread for the Oppo is focused on an experimental feature that most won't use.. and that Oppo had the good sense to brand as experimental. That was my point. If we're going to judge it negatively due to that, then let's just lump the whole HD Fury thread and all the difficulty there into the Panasonic thread, for a mental exercise.

There are plenty of other bugs to squish as well, but it's nothing outside the ordinary when dealing with a new player + new format.

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203 | Toshiba HD-XA2
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One X
brentsg is offline  
post #39 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
I keep hearing this "Sound" stuff.
It's Bitstream.
...All that jazz ♫.

------------

By the way, I like 3D Blu-rays (500+), not just 2D Blu-rays (5,000+).
But time marches on; we're in the 4K Blu-ray era now with elevated sound and picture.
...Only eight more days till Mom's birthday.

------------

Which 4K BR player excels @ 3D? Mom and her boyfriend, Bob, love 3D too.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-10-2017 at 11:37 AM.
NorthSky is offline  
post #40 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dpippel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Posts: 1,659
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
I know the answer to this question already but I'm going to ask anyway. Has it been unequivocally confirmed that the DMP-UB900 can never be updated to support Dolby Vision due to hardware limitations in the player? Has there ever been any official confirmation or statement about this from Panasonic?

______________
LG OLED65E6P | Yamaha RX-A2080 | Oppo UDP-203 | Panasonic DP-UB820
My Media Collection
dpippel is online now  
post #41 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
curlyjive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Abington, PA
Posts: 2,085
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
My point was that much of the content of the owners thread for the Oppo is focused on an experimental feature that most won't use.. and that Oppo had the good sense to brand as experimental. That was my point. If we're going to judge it negatively due to that, then let's just lump the whole HD Fury thread and all the difficulty there into the Panasonic thread, for a mental exercise.

There are plenty of other bugs to squish as well, but it's nothing outside the ordinary when dealing with a new player + new format.
I'm not bashing either player, if that's what you're thinking. I own both. The ability to convert HDR to SDR BT2020 is very useful for projector users, and there are many of them here , but also for TV's that lack the brightness to handle HDR well.

So it's not a knock on either player, but since this is a comparison thread, it's worth noting how each player handles this conversion.
curlyjive is online now  
post #42 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
curlyjive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Abington, PA
Posts: 2,085
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post
I know the answer to this question already but I'm going to ask anyway. Has it been unequivocally confirmed that the DMP-UB900 can never be updated to support Dolby Vision due to hardware limitations in the player? Has there ever been any official confirmation or statement about this from Panasonic?
Not sure how official this is: https://tvevaluate.com/oppo-udp-203-vs-panasonic-ub900/
dpippel likes this.
curlyjive is online now  
post #43 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 11:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Despoiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post
I know the answer to this question already but I'm going to ask anyway. Has it been unequivocally confirmed that the DMP-UB900 can never be updated to support Dolby Vision due to hardware limitations in the player? Has there ever been any official confirmation or statement about this from Panasonic?
From everything I've read, DV requires a SoC. Mediatek is making the DV SoC. They also are making Oppo's 203 chip. Either Oppo has the DV chip on the 203 mainboard or they just incorporated the DV block in their own chip. My guess is the latter. If anyone has high resolution pictures of the 203 board it would be pretty easy to confirm. Either way that's why a firmware update can add support for Oppo. Any device built before the DV SoC was ready cannot support DV.
dpippel likes this.

-Jason
<> Visual <> Oppo Digital UDP-203 // Chromecast Ultra // TV TBD

<> Audio <> Oppo Digital UDP-203 // Emotiva A-150 // Speakers TBD
Despoiler is online now  
post #44 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dpippel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Posts: 1,659
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
So I'm assuming the DMP-UB900 was designed and finalized before the DV SoC was available?

______________
LG OLED65E6P | Yamaha RX-A2080 | Oppo UDP-203 | Panasonic DP-UB820
My Media Collection
dpippel is online now  
post #45 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3559
Would that require a hardware upgrade?

Quote:
I know the answer to this question already but I'm going to ask anyway. Has it been unequivocally confirmed that the DMP-UB900 can never be updated to support Dolby Vision due to hardware limitations in the player? Has there ever been any official confirmation or statement about this from Panasonic?
------------

"The only spectre looming over both of the currently available players is the Dolby Vision HDR system, which is an optional feature in the UHD BD spec, and is not to be found on these early units. However, these early players will still play Dolby Vision UHD discs once they appear, although only Dolby Vision compatible players will be able to access the additional enhancement layer in the video bitstream to present the full experience from them. At the time of writing, we have no way of knowing whether or not this will make a significant difference, but we imagine in the next few years it will become a standard feature on Ultra HD Blu-ray players, just as DTS-HD Master Audio (an optional feature for BD player designers) did."

------------

http://www.howtogeek.com/260962/hdr-...-dolby-vision/

------------

Bonus:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1398...ayers-for-2017

Deja Vu:

- http://www.techhive.com/article/3139...ay-player.html
- http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/13...y-master-class
- http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panas...1605154293.htm
dpippel likes this.
NorthSky is offline  
post #46 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Despoiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post
So I'm assuming the DMP-UB900 was designed and finalized before the DV SoC was available?
Pretty positive it was. I don't know exactly when the UB900 launched overseas. I'm showing Europe/UK firmware versions from April 2016. I have an article from July 2016 talking about a forthcoming DV SoC.

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/...b900_euro.html

https://hdguru.com/dolby-vision-ultr...-mediatek-soc/

-Jason
<> Visual <> Oppo Digital UDP-203 // Chromecast Ultra // TV TBD

<> Audio <> Oppo Digital UDP-203 // Emotiva A-150 // Speakers TBD
Despoiler is online now  
post #47 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
Good eye.
NorthSky is offline  
post #48 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despoiler View Post
Pretty positive it was. I don't know exactly when the UB900 launched overseas. I'm showing Europe/UK firmware versions from April 2016. I have an article from July 2016 talking about a forthcoming DV SoC.

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/...b900_euro.html

https://hdguru.com/dolby-vision-ultr...-mediatek-soc/
May 15, 2016 ... there was a review of the Panasonic 900 (last link from this post):
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post49761697
NorthSky is offline  
post #49 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 2,872
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
Wow... to say this is surprising is an understatement...
New24K is offline  
post #50 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dpippel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Posts: 1,659
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despoiler View Post
Pretty positive it was. I don't know exactly when the UB900 launched overseas. I'm showing Europe/UK firmware versions from April 2016. I have an article from July 2016 talking about a forthcoming DV SoC.

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/...b900_euro.html

https://hdguru.com/dolby-vision-ultr...-mediatek-soc/
Yeah, I'd say that pretty much answers my question. Thanks for the links.

______________
LG OLED65E6P | Yamaha RX-A2080 | Oppo UDP-203 | Panasonic DP-UB820
My Media Collection
dpippel is online now  
post #51 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3559
There is a member here @ AVS (PioManiac), from Alberta, Canada, with the Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K BR player, and occasionally he posts some screenshots of his screen from his front projector. I must admit; they are among the nicest screenshots I've seen here...I am totally impressed and so much so that they are my inspiration/reference.

Here are some: Deleted
_____

(((◙))) https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...l#post46271953

♦ His home theater thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...ent-plans.html

* His gear (now): JVC-DLA X750R | 120" Screen | LG 65" OLED 65B6P | Panasonic DMP-UB900 | HDFury Integral
Yamaha RX-A3050 + RX-V3900 | Atmos 7.4.4 | Mission M3i Speakers | Funk Audio 18.0 sub's


I will ask him to post screenshots of the Oppo UDP-203 4K BR player when he's ready.
...And share with us his overall comparison views between the two. If he gets the Oppo 203 eventually; only the future permitting...


------------

Stay tuned...more to come.
ti-triodes and a5ian300zx like this.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-24-2017 at 11:20 AM. Reason: |
NorthSky is offline  
post #52 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 2,872
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
There is a member here @ AVS (PioManiac), from Alberta, Canada, with the Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K BR player, and occasionally he posts some screenshots of his screen from his front projector. I must admit; they are among the nicest screenshots I've seen here...I am totally impressed and so much so that they are my inspiration/reference.

Here are some:

Stay tuned...more to come.
Holy crap - those images are from a projector?!
New24K is offline  
post #53 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 02:27 PM
Senior Member
 
dubusduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I will probably be in the minority here. I had the Panasonic DMP-UB900 and now have the Samsung UBD-K85MC (the Costco version). Some background info first. This summer, I got tired of waiting for Panasonic to release their 4K player in the US, so I bought the Samsung and Exodus Gods and Kings 4K bluray. I found the Samsung to look way too dark in 4k, but found it to be an excellent bluray player equal to my Oppo 105D. I could not get over the darkness of the Samsung so I took it back and waited for Oppo to release the 203. Oppo botched my order, charging me for 4 of the 203s, then delayed shipment of my unit, so I told them to cancel the order. I then picked up the Panasonic while it was on sale. I popped in a bluray and was disappointed at the image. I thought the Samsung did a better job at upscaling blurays and my Oppo 105D was easily seen as a better bluray player. I put in Exodus Gods and Kings and thought I saw a more refined picture, but the player was still way too dark in 4K. I decided to give The Martian a whirl and saw banding in the opening scene. My LG EF9500 has known banding issues just above black, but I see them very rarely with a 1080p bluray. Given the cost of the Panasonic, its subpar bluray upscaling compared to the Samsung and the Oppo, and darkness of a 4K picture, I took the Panasonic back and decided to live with standard blurays.

I was advised here on AVS to engage dynamic contrast on my display so 4K blurays would not look so dark. I got a $25 off coupon from Costco and decided to give the Samsung another shot. With the $25 coupon and Costco having a sale, I paid $167 for the Samsung player that included a 4K hdmi cable. I no longer feel the picture is too dark with dynamic contrast engaged on my LG and now I see what all the hoopla from 4K is. I watched Oblivion on 4K and the HDR blew me away. I am now a convert to 4K HDR and WCG. I don't see any banding on my OLED with the Samsung, but that may be due to me learning how to adjust the picture settings for 4K. I think I got a smoking deal on a 4k player. I don't have any issues with the Samsung and the disc drive is very quiet. I am satisfied with my purchase.

The remote on the Samsung sucks. No mistaking the Samsung for an overbuilt videophile/audiophile deck, although the finish is nice. I like that the Samsung has a slim profile so it can sit underneath my TV on top of my TV stand. I also like the GUI on the Samsung in that it shows you an icon of the disc in the drawer. The samsung will not show you the bit depth, color space or audio codec of the 4k disc being played - I wish it did.

The Panasonic is a better built player. The remote is light years ahead of the Samsung and is back lit. I like the digital tube effects that the Panasonic can apply to audio. The Panasonic has a lot more controls you can tweak. I can not justify the price difference; however. The Panasonic in my opinion is not 3x better than the Samsung.

I am waiting to see Sony's 4k bluray player and hope it is not outrageously priced. I think Sony has the best video processing and may consider picking one up if I can see the better processing. I might even pick up the Panasonic if it goes on sale with a deep discount this year when it is phased out. For the price I paid for the Samsung, however, its price to performance ratio is pretty high.
dubusduck is online now  
post #54 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
iserum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 92
the issues with oppo thread are exaggerated as compare to penny player, when Samsung K8500 came out the forum was full with issues as well, people who bought 203 as their first player might face more issues as compared to people like me who has K8500 s my first 4K player. i am not saying Panny is bad player anything with THX certification means it is good at least for passing those THX requirement. i have not read any expert review comparison saying penny is better than Oppo.
Oppo reputation is far better than Panasonic, customer service and their support for long run is better than most consumer electronic companies, panasonic has one year warranty on parts and 90 days labor on BD players according to their web site, that tells you the faith they have in their product. in the long run i would be more happy with Oppo 203 may be will 2nd 203 or wait for darby version if i could sell K8500.

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer SC6000: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights
iserum is offline  
post #55 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 11,245
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3733 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubusduck View Post
I will probably be in the minority here. I had the Panasonic DMP-UB900 and now have the Samsung UBD-K85MC (the Costco version). Some background info first. This summer, I got tired of waiting for Panasonic to release their 4K player in the US, so I bought the Samsung and Exodus Gods and Kings 4K bluray. I found the Samsung to look way too dark in 4k, but found it to be an excellent bluray player equal to my Oppo 105D. I could not get over the darkness of the Samsung so I took it back and waited for Oppo to release the 203. Oppo botched my order, charging me for 4 of the 203s, then delayed shipment of my unit, so I told them to cancel the order. I then picked up the Panasonic while it was on sale. I popped in a bluray and was disappointed at the image. I thought the Samsung did a better job at upscaling blurays and my Oppo 105D was easily seen as a better bluray player. I put in Exodus Gods and Kings and thought I saw a more refined picture, but the player was still way too dark in 4K. I decided to give The Martian a whirl and saw banding in the opening scene. My LG EF9500 has known banding issues just above black, but I see them very rarely with a 1080p bluray. Given the cost of the Panasonic, its subpar bluray upscaling compared to the Samsung and the Oppo, and darkness of a 4K picture, I took the Panasonic back and decided to live with standard blurays.

I was advised here on AVS to engage dynamic contrast on my display so 4K blurays would not look so dark. I got a $25 off coupon from Costco and decided to give the Samsung another shot. With the $25 coupon and Costco having a sale, I paid $167 for the Samsung player that included a 4K hdmi cable. I no longer feel the picture is too dark with dynamic contrast engaged on my LG and now I see what all the hoopla from 4K is. I watched Oblivion on 4K and the HDR blew me away. I am now a convert to 4K HDR and WCG. I don't see any banding on my OLED with the Samsung, but that may be due to me learning how to adjust the picture settings for 4K. I think I got a smoking deal on a 4k player. I don't have any issues with the Samsung and the disc drive is very quiet. I am satisfied with my purchase.

The remote on the Samsung sucks. No mistaking the Samsung for an overbuilt videophile/audiophile deck, although the finish is nice. I like that the Samsung has a slim profile so it can sit underneath my TV on top of my TV stand. I also like the GUI on the Samsung in that it shows you an icon of the disc in the drawer. The samsung will not show you the bit depth, color space or audio codec of the 4k disc being played - I wish it did.

The Panasonic is a better built player. The remote is light years ahead of the Samsung and is back lit. I like the digital tube effects that the Panasonic can apply to audio. The Panasonic has a lot more controls you can tweak. I can not justify the price difference; however. The Panasonic in my opinion is not 3x better than the Samsung.

I am waiting to see Sony's 4k bluray player and hope it is not outrageously priced. I think Sony has the best video processing and may consider picking one up if I can see the better processing. I might even pick up the Panasonic if it goes on sale with a deep discount this year when it is phased out. For the price I paid for the Samsung, however, its price to performance ratio is pretty high.
Did you ever try turning Deep Color off on the Panny, that setting causes banding on Oleds for whatever reason. Has Samsung fixed the "red smear" issue just curious ?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
chunon is online now  
post #56 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 03:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Mikedit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
In a sense that's true, but I wanted to make sure others know that the Panasonic has that conversion capability. It's misleading to suggest it can't be done. It's just not forceable as it is on the Oppo. I currently own both. I'll post more on my comparison between the two later.
Perhaps Panasonic will release a firmware upgrade that will enable this conversion without the Integral, possible??? We know the player is capable and seems to have the colours mapped correctly, just look at PioManiac's screen shots posted earlier. They are quite impressive.
Mikedit is offline  
post #57 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Holy crap - those images are from a projector?!
The DLA-X750R is JVC’s fully featured home theater projector with 1800 Lumens brightness and 4K e-shift4

Paired with the Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K BR player (and HDFury Integral), it produces the screenshots you have just viewed/saw right here.

This is very high performance Video/Audio quality and very high value. ...For the PJ and for the Panasonic player.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-10-2017 at 03:12 PM.
NorthSky is offline  
post #58 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 03:11 PM
Senior Member
 
dubusduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Did you ever try turning Deep Color off on the Panny, that setting causes banding on Oleds for whatever reason. Has Samsung fixed the "red smear" issue just curious ?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I did not try turning off deep color on the Panny. I think I left the setting at auto, but I can't remember. I believe the banding I saw was due to my LG's performance at just above black levels, not the Panny processing because the banding looks the same on 1080p material. I don't know if Samsung has fixed the red smear. I've never seen it.

LG 65EF9500: Sony UBP-X800; Oppo 105D; Denon 7200WA; Polk LSI; Axiom Audio M5HP; SVS SB-13 Ultra; John 3:16;
dubusduck is online now  
post #59 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 03:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
The DLA-X750R is JVC’s fully featured home theater projector with 1800 Lumens brightness and 4K e-shift4

Paired with the Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K BR player (and HDFury Integral), it produces the screenshots you have just viewed/saw right here.

This is very high performance Video/Audio quality and very high value. ...For the PJ and for the Panasonic player.
If a $5000 projector looked that good I think OLED would be dead
draxinum is offline  
post #60 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dpippel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Posts: 1,659
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by draxinum View Post
If a $5000 projector looked that good I think OLED would be dead
Why? Far more consumers can accommodate a 55"-65" emissive display than a projector, a screen, and a proper viewing environment for them. There's plenty of room for both.

______________
LG OLED65E6P | Yamaha RX-A2080 | Oppo UDP-203 | Panasonic DP-UB820
My Media Collection
dpippel is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
blu ray , playback , uhd

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off