UHD Blu-ray players (All) | Comparisons... - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2526Likes

post #61 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3560
Quote:
Originally Posted by draxinum View Post
If a $5000 projector looked that good I think OLED would be dead
Just tell me about it. I don't need no LG 4K OLED TV to watch 3D in 2017. For serious picture and sound (4K & 3D); a PJ with a Panny 4K BR player.
For 4K youtube videos and 4K Netflicks it'll do just fine...that LG super thin 4K OLED Dolby Vision TV in the dormitory/solace room.
For a good 4K Dolby Vision OLED match, an Oppo 203?

I'll ask PioManiac later on ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting, very:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post46380529

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...l#post46016049
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...l#post46344761

I'm atmos ready to leave the 3D past behind and move forward into the Ice Age of the Future...The 4K Force Awakens, Step Into Darkness. ...Way of speech of course, to say that there is another new whole black worm hole out there and on the other side it is truly magnificent, beautiful, magical, splendorous, wonderful, marvelous, 'color me blind', ...

More to come...

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-24-2017 at 03:58 PM. Reason: typo
post #63 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I wish someone that has both players would post side by side comparison slr shots of test patterns....HDR and regular upscaled 1080p.
WynsWrld98 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Be patient...it'll come.

------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac
When I watch my 4K UHD's in SDR BT.2020 with my JVC, (DMP-UB900 + HDFury)
The scope image on my 16:9 screen seems to float in the velvet abyss and I can't even make out the "black" bars.

12' throw to a 120" screen, 1.3 gain, low lamp mode, iris -10, auto 2
..and a full functioning dynamic iris in a velvet wrapped room = 6 digit contrast

In my HDR BT.2020 mode, not only are the black, or should I say "charcoal" bars, more visible.
They are bright enough to make shadow puppets in...sorry that's not acceptable.

Fade to Black vs fade to grey between scenes also drives me bonkers with the dynamic iris disabled.
I would have kept my 8 y/o Epson if I wanted charcoal grey instead of black.

IMHO, HDR is broken for projectors and if it wasn't for the HDFury Integral, that I ordered a week after I got my JVC, I would be buying Rec.709 Blurays instead.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-24-2017 at 11:30 AM.
post #65 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
The DLA-X750R is JVC’s fully featured home theater projector with 1800 Lumens brightness and 4K e-shift4

Paired with the Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K BR player (and HDFury Integral), it produces the screenshots you have just viewed/saw right here.

This is very high performance Video/Audio quality and very high value. ...For the PJ and for the Panasonic player.
I have the x750 and have been pretty dissapointed in the image quality of the K8500. I was thinking about getting the Panasonic player to compare. What does the HDFury Integral do for me?
crash1977 likes this.

JVC RS540 | Pioneer SC-95 | Panamax MB1500 x2
Klipsch RF-83 | RC-64 | RP-280FA | RS-62 | RP-140SA | R-115SW x2
4k MadVR HTPC | Panasonic DMP-UB900 | PS4 Pro | DirecTV Genie
post #66 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 2033
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigorousXChris View Post
I have the x750 and have been pretty dissapointed in the image quality of the K8500. I was thinking about getting the Panasonic player to compare. What does the HDFury Integral do for me?
You'd be best asking in the Panasonic thread. Many users there have it in their setup. Members like gadgtfreek.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #67 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...l#post46849129
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...l#post49176457

HDMI cables, HDFury Integral.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-24-2017 at 11:38 AM.
post #68 of 971 Old 01-10-2017, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigorousXChris View Post
I have the JVC DLA-X750 and have been pretty disappointed in the image quality of the Samsung UBD-K8500.
I was thinking about getting the Panasonic 900 player to compare. What does the HDFury Integral do for me?
See below ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
You'd be best asking in the Panasonic thread. Many users there have it in their setup. Members like gadgtfreek.
S~
_____

You can also ask PioManiac directly; or in his own home theater thread, or like "S" said...in the Panasonic DMP-UB900's thread.

------------

• Pana 900 → https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post48445169
• HDfury → https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vid...l#post48994009
• gadgtfreek → https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post50123393

* HDFury Integral in collaboration with a very good quality PJ like the JVC X750 and a 4K BR player like the Panasonic DMP-UB900.
RigorousXChris and Roudan like this.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-24-2017 at 11:55 AM.
post #69 of 971 Old 01-11-2017, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedit View Post
Perhaps Panasonic will release a firmware upgrade that will enable this conversion without the Integral, possible??? We know the player is capable and seems to have the colours mapped correctly, just look at PioManiac's screen shots posted earlier. They are quite impressive.
They certainly could. It should be that hard for them to do so since they can already do the conversion. Don't know if they will. That's the advantage of Oppo vs large consumer electronics manufactures....ongoing support.
post #70 of 971 Old 01-11-2017, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Lightbulb Some comments here ... of reasonable importance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I have the LG 65E6, the OPPO 203 and the Panasonic 900. When it comes to upscaling SDR blu ray to 4K, there is absolutely no difference between the 203 and 900. However, I also have the 103D, and prefer that over the 203 and 900 and letting my E6 upscale, because the Darbee effect makes SDR blu ray so much better. Not even close, IMO. When it comes to UHD, I prefer the 203. IMO, it produces a better picture on OLED. I can set the OPPO to 4:4:4 12 bit and have no banding like the Panny does. Sure, I can turn off deep color on the Panny to reduce it, but why should I have to, when it's not required on the OPPO?. I can not tell any difference on which one is "sharper". From 9 feet away from the tv, they look the same. The big selling point is DV HDR, which my E6 can do. The Panny is out in the cold when it comes to that. Am I going to get rid of the panny? No, it's now attached to my 9500, which can not do DV. There is a difference when it comes to sync settings on my AVR. Both setup the same, 4:4:4 12 bit, LPCM, same settings on tv, and the audio sync I have to set my avr with the Panny is 230 ms. The OPPO only requires 70 ms. That's with audio out going directly from player to avr for both, and video going directly to tv.
Why there is such a huge difference, I have no clue.

Both players are good players. Set up properly, they will produce an excellent picture.
Quote:
Good post ↑
I always appreciate feedback from everyone. We learn that way; and from replies.
People who want to build the best home theater in UHD visuals and in 3D multichannel sounds and for the best value...they get their knowledge from discussions like these...with comparisons...all that ♫ $$ jazz...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
I have the UB900 already, paired with the Sony Z9D. Since that TV has been revealed to have DV built in, I became interested in the Oppo and started following those threads just so I have the option of utilizing DV once it becomes reality.

Unfortunately, it's hard to find people that are extremely happy with the Oppo. It's been nothing but issues in those threads and troubleshooting. The Panny was plug and play, everything Auto, and no hiccups. It has been amazing in PQ for both UHD and sdr Blu-ray. Most people that have both tend to lean towards Panny...I'll just keep waiting until more definitive comparisons and tests from pros. I really like the Oppo's potential but might as well wait until DV gets here.

BTW, the Deep Color thing is an issue on the TV side so I wouldn't use it against the Panny. I have it enabled and there's zero banding.
Your reply to wxman above first quote. Important fact regarding "Deep Color", for zero banding, using the Panasonic 900.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
The Panasonic does indeed do what strip metadata does. it requires an HDFury to do so, but it will convert HDR BT2020 to SDR BT2020
That too is important. For best quality picture when using the Panasonic 900. That's what most people are after when upgrading to UHD/4K...the best 4K HDR picture. That's what truly makes all the difference; right in our eyes.

* The HDFury by the way is inexpensive, for people who demands the best picture. Just goggle it ... • http://hdfuryintegral.com/
https://www.hdfury.com/4k-integral/

Do we want the best picture, or do we want the best support? We're all free to choose, nobody is forcing us, nobody; it's our eyes, and it's our ears, and it's our brain. And we live in the now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
It requiring an HD Fury to do so is the very definition of the Panasonic not doing what strip metadata does.
...And doing it right...with results people can clearly see with their eyes.
Would you rather have it integral of the player you buy, or separately with positive results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
In a sense that's true, but I wanted to make sure others know that the Panasonic has that conversion capability. It's misleading to suggest it can't be done. It's just not forceable as it is on the Oppo. I currently own both (900 & 203). I'll post more on my comparison between the two later.
I'm very looking forward, among many more of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
My point was that much of the content of the owners thread for the Oppo is focused on an experimental feature that most won't use.. and that Oppo had the good sense to brand as experimental That was my point If we're going to judge it negatively due to that, then let's just lump the whole HD Fury thread and all the difficulty there into the Panasonic thread, for a mental exercise.

There are plenty of other bugs to squish as well, but it's nothing outside the ordinary when dealing with a new player + new format.
We are discussing, analyzing, learning, sharing, comparing, etc., so that we can all make the best choice that accommodates us the very best.

*** I would love to see Panasonic build solider players and extend their warranties, but that's Oppo's domain here.
The 900 looks swell from its front face, piano black with that THX badge.
The 203 looks solider with brushed aluminum.
Inside; it's Oppo's victory, definitely.

One member in the 203 thread, yesterday said: "Can anyone tell me if the 203 does SACD better than the 103. I don't give a rat's ass about PQ, it's about SQ!! "

Alright, that's his prerogative. Me, a 4K BR player means a 4K Blu-ray picture first and foremost.

Tomorrow we ain't there; today we are. And today the Panasonic 900 looks magnificent from the moving pictures it displays on both screens from 4K front projectors and from 4K OLED TVs. ...With HDFury Integral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iserum View Post
the issues with oppo thread are exaggerated as compare to penny player, when Samsung K8500 came out the forum was full with issues as well, people who bought 203 as their first player might face more issues as compared to people like me who has K8500 s my first 4K player. i am not saying Panny is bad player anything with THX certification means it is good at least for passing those THX requirement. i have not read any expert review comparison saying penny is better than Oppo.
Oppo reputation is far better than Panasonic, customer service and their support for long run is better than most consumer electronic companies, panasonic has one year warranty on parts and 90 days labor on BD players according to their web site, that tells you the faith they have in their product. in the long run i would be more happy with Oppo 203 may be will 2nd 203 or wait for darby version if i could sell K8500.
They're all good points you mentioned. And we all live in the now, today.
Exaggerated or not, we still want to be entertained with total satisfaction...in front of our screens, no fuss no mess, press a button (Play a Movie, from Harmony), and get impregnated with full visual and auditory impact into the next frontier of space...the faraway 4K galaxy, the 4-dimensional universe.
Check to screenshots from PioManiac. I want to fly where he's flying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Did you ever try turning Deep Color off on the Panny, that setting causes banding on OLEDs for whatever reason.
Has Samsung fixed the "red smear" issue just curious ?
Good point again on "Deep Color".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubusduck View Post
I did not try turning off deep color on the Panny. I think I left the setting at auto, but I can't remember. I believe the banding I saw was due to my LG's performance at just above black levels, not the Panny processing because the banding looks the same on 1080p material.
I don't know if Samsung has fixed the red smear. I've never seen it.
Thanks for sharing that important piece of information.

* I remember when the Samsung 4K Blu-ray player first came out. It had no essence because it was an unattractive design, extremely light, and not corresponding to its price for such a plastic component. I went to the store, looked @ it, lifted it, turned it around, and was unimpressed, very.
That was then, now it's now, and with time values adjusted themselves accordingly. I don't know compared to the Panasonic and the Oppo 4K players; one more reason this thread now exist. There are couple posts right here where couple members shared some...on that Samsung 4K player, and in comparison.

------------

** I want to say this: If a unit cost ten bucks and another one million bucks; if the later is not functioning properly it don't matter if the other inexpensive one is not functioning properly either. We just have to find one that works irregardless. IMO

...Stay tuned.
post #71 of 971 Old 01-11-2017, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Post Panasonic 900 player matched with HDFury | SDR-HDR

• SDR vs HDR (front projectors) → https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post49774465

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-24-2017 at 12:01 PM.
post #72 of 971 Old 01-11-2017, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked: 4044
Bickering removed. Discuss the topic and not each other. Also, don't don't respond to people who aren't discussing the topic. Means I have more posts to delete when I could be watching... uh.. ok, not much on right now, but you get the idea.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #73 of 971 Old 01-11-2017, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Just bought the ub900 to do a comparison on UHD PQ between the OPPO. Everyone saying the Panasonic having better PQ, but no one has posted screen shots for proof. I guess when you want something done you'll have to do it yourself! I'll report back with some proof in a few days
davehale, atabea and Roudan like this.
post #74 of 971 Old 01-11-2017, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by panasonicst60 View Post
Just bought the ub900 to do a comparison on UHD PQ between the OPPO. Everyone saying the Panasonic having better PQ, but no one has posted screen shots for proof. I guess when you want something done you'll have to do it yourself! I'll report back with some proof in a few days
Thanks. I very much look forward to seeing your screenshot comparison.
post #75 of 971 Old 01-11-2017, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
Below is a copy from a thread i posted on SNA here in Australia....

As some may have seen in the Oppo thread i purchased the 203 to use with my JVC X7000 projector.
Previously i was using the Pioneer BDP LX88 the last of Pioneers high end upscaling BlyRay players.

I had great enthusiasm for the Oppo, it would enable me to finally use the 4K UHD dic,s i have been collecting ...around 40 titles now.
The Oppo turned out to be a great disappointment in several area,s.
The first was the failed implementation of the "Strip MetaData" feature that many projector owners were waiting for. The Oppo also has a few "Quirks" when it comes to playback, but is still usable once you are a where of them.
The biggest failing for me was when i did comaprisons against the LX88 and its upscaled blurays, much to my amazement the images form the Oppo ARE lacking in clarity and sharpness. This just shouldnt be the case...Native 4k should wipe the flloor with upscaled Bluray! I also was not happy with the colour reproduction on the Oppo.

I decide to purchase the Panasonic UB900 UHD player.
I have had the UB900 for 3 days now and put quite a few hours comparisons to the Oppo.

The Panasonic is a "Dainty" little thing when compared to the Oppo in size, BUT the performance of the UB900 is huge!
When compared to the Oppo with the X7000 , the UB900 is far far superior to the Oppo!!

The first thing apparent is the absolute "crispness" and "detail" in the UHD HDR image...it destroys the Oppo image ! This is without any further enhancement of the picture using the brilliant processing options available on the UB900.
The second thing is COLOUR.... the UB900 has gorgeous rich colours , but they look a hell of alot more natural than the Oppo. The UB900 colours have more depth, and give the image a more 3D look.

The images i NOW get from UHD HDR are very impressive.... far far better than the Oppo and certainly better than the images from the LX88 and upscaled blurays....

Now i really do see the benefit in 4K and HDR....:thumb:

If you are contemplating either the UB900 or the Oppo 203.......i strongly recommend the UB900 over the Oppo.....
Thanks for sharing this; no one mentioned it yet but now I do.

• Original link → User Review | Comparison between Oppo 203 and Panasonic 900
post #76 of 971 Old 01-11-2017, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
Yes those are my screen shots (from a samsung S6 smartphone no less)
Yes, you told me before that some of those screenshots were taken from a Samsung S6 phone; even more amazing!
I also believe that you have a good DSLR camera that you also use to take some pictures...your room, gear, etc.?
Anyway, all your screenshots are splendid. The clarity and amount of details, the colors, ...everything is gorgeous.
I love 'Life of Pi' and 'X-Men: Apocalypse' screenshots the best.

Quote:
But one correction, I don't and never have planned to purchase an Oppo
I don't know how anyone ever got that impression when I'm clearly pleased with my UB900.
Sorry about that, I didn't mean as a negative, to the contrary; I thought you might get the Oppo 203 eventually and compare with your Panasonic UB900.
I was about to contact you and ask you about it; thank you for being quicker.

Quote:
I would also like to clarify that the HDFury Integral is placed between my AVR and JVC,
and as such is not in used for my LG 65B6P OLED (it doesn't need it)
(Yamaha RX-A3050 has dual HDMI display outputs)

One member was asking earlier, I believe yesterday, regarding the HDFury Integral in combination with your Panasonic UB900 and JVC X750R PJ.
I gave him few links. He has the Samsung 4K BR player but he isn't satisfy with the results. And he doesn't know what the HDFury can do.
...A post just above: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post49777041

You are the most welcome to share and answer any questions that people might have in this thread; your input speaks reference all over...a visual feast for the eyes, a tour-de-force from the components you use in your home theater. It looks like a million buck but without the full Canadian taxes (the advantage of being an Albertan). Your own HT thread is a model of high class performance/reference and value too. You chose wisely your components and match them perfectly; the proof is in the pudding. And just looking @ your pictures and reading your posts we embark in your great adventure.
Your audio components are first class too...Yamaha, and the latest on your speakers...simply beautiful wood and a solid company by haut-de-gamme sound people.

I started this thread for all of us, for people looking for some of the best today in 4K technology. ...And @ down-to-earth prices.
It's not about what we believe in, what we support, but about what movie experience reaches the highest plateau.
In the Oppo 203's owners thread several members suggested other members to start a thread about comparing today's 4K BR players on the market.
The Oppo 203 just arrived on December 12, 2016 (30 days ago exactly today), and that thread is one of the fastest ever, it's like a fever.
Bob Pariseau is the best help Oppo customers can get, all in the goal to improve and make each Oppo machine releases the best on the market; year after year for top video/audio performance for the price. I am using a humble 103 among many more players in one of my systems; it's my main 3D BR player. After three years, approximately, it has been solid and reliable.

3D is slowly but surely dying; time to move on with the force awakens...2D/4K moving pictures with 3D sound.
This, is the comparison thread between all 4K BR players, and in combination with all the other audio/video components, including HDMI cables, flat panel TVs, OLED TVs, PJs, all 4K, HDR various flavors, HDR>SDR, SDR>HDR, soon Dolby Vision...so that we can experience the best for less and trouble-free.

No one has any bias; we all want the best. And right now you sure have some of the very best. That's all what it counts; put a 4K BR disc inside the machine's disc tray, press the the play button, voila...magic!

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-12-2017 at 08:16 PM.
post #77 of 971 Old 01-11-2017, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
It is very hard to compare the two UHD player as they are both at different stages of development.I looked at the samsung and the panasonic and was impressed by the picture quality in both.I got my HiFi dealer to play them for me.At that point i was going to purchase the panasonic until i read about the oppo 203 and waited for it to go on sale before making my mind up.My friend owns a UB900 and i liked it a lot.
I don’t have a DV tv just a 4k lcd,but i won’t always have that tv so i want my UHD player to last.So that was one reason for the 203.My second reason was i needed a good audio player and the 203 ability to play SACD was a big factor.The look of the player was also important as it is at the centre of my living room and the 203 won on that one.The price was a factor and the UB900 won hand down at £200 cheaper.The support from the manufacture is important and i have only read good reports about oppo customer service.I have own panasonic equipment in the past and never need there customer service.Which says to me they make good stuff,so i was evenly balanced on that one.Another point was my TV is not brilliant at upscaling so i thought the 203 would be perfect for upscaling.
I wanted my HiFi dealer to show me both player side by side but was unable as he was not selling the oppo.So i took the plunge and purchased the 203,I have had a few minor problem with audio sync on upscaling also handshake problems.All UHD and BR disks have played flawless with fantastic PQ.
I do think a lot of the posts in the 203 owners thread are owner being a bit frustrated and need an avenue to vent there frustration.There are some underlying problems that will be fixed in the future.
My friend with the UB900 want to put the two side by side and compare on the same tv with the same film and it will definitely happen but not yet.When the 203 has another 2 updates i think then and only then would we be able to get a true impression of these top notch players.
As for now i am a very happy oppo owner.

Marantz NR1606,
oppo 203
Kef E305,
Philips 55PUT6400
FS 104 Signature Speaker Stands
post #78 of 971 Old 01-11-2017, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Here in North America, this is one of the websites that for many years have a great artillery of audio and video tests, among other great audio/video websites.
http://hometheaterhifi.com/

It's important to find people who are impartial, unbiased, financially unmotivated, objective and subjective, clear, precise, concise, truth searchers.

We love comparisons, flat panel showdowns, expert and viewers voting. Today's winner will eventually be eclipsed by tomorrow's newcomers.
To me, living today is the main essence. What I see and hear right now is the real world. And the more trouble-free the better, of course.
I only mentioned this to give this thread a solid perspective, in the search for comparisons among all the 4K BR players, on a day-to-day advancing basis.

From PioManiac I didn't read too many interruptions during his movie watching time. I have read several of his posts and I didn't read many complaints.
And this to me, is reality. ...Today in the now.

I have no idea of what the exact percentage of Panasonic 900 owners and Oppo 203 owners who are fully satisfied for the personal use of their players in suiting them in their own systemn, not a single clue.
I can only read @ various forums and ... now this thread exist. It's not about me, it's about 4K BR players, compatibility, one facing another one, one against all the others. ...In different systems, with different gear from different people.

Right now, let's be frank, PioManiac's screenshots from his Panny 900 are awesome. We're not talking $100,000 machine here, but roughly half grand.
And yet, those screenshots scream a million dollars...each!

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-12-2017 at 09:11 AM.
post #79 of 971 Old 01-12-2017, 04:37 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1859 Post(s)
Liked: 2249
Quote:
No one has any bias
Do you honestly believe that? Seriously though, almost everyone has bias on these matters whether it's intentional or not; it's pretty difficult to avoid it.

My take is that it would make a lot more sense to re-visit this comparison in a few months once Oppo has had a chance to sort out most of the initial release issues.

Quote:
But one correction, I don't and never have planned to purchase an Oppo
I don't know how anyone ever got that impression when I'm clearly pleased with my UB900.
Welcome to Bob's world...
Stanton and smurraybhm like this.
post #80 of 971 Old 01-12-2017, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked: 3604
Quote:
For the record, I'm going to be completely honest that I am absolutely biased. I reasearch all my buying decisions and not only for individual component performance but also how they interact with the rest of my gear, and my room.
An honest man on AVS a rarity Kudos ! Amazing pics btw, aby tips you can share on capturing such great pics ? I have an S6 .

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #81 of 971 Old 01-12-2017, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
My take is that it would make a lot more sense to re-visit this comparison in a few months once Oppo has had a chance to sort out most of the initial release issues.
In few months from now is the future. When it comes we'll see the outcome. I've already mentioned few times in this thread; did you read it from the beginning? Even recently as yesterday I mentioned "on a day-to-day advancing basis."

This was a request from several members; to have a thread talking about all the 4K BR players without fear.
PioManiac hit a spot on screenshots; no matter how nice they are he wouldn't use them to make his decision.
I too mentioned @ the very beginning of this thread how tricky it is to rely on screenshots.

Yet he picked the Panasonic 900 to mate it with his JVC 750. His choices were made judiciously.

* Regarding bias; it's a way of speech...no one is truly biased...we are all people of choice. When we see beauty it attracts us...it's natural.
No one is preaching by trying to convince others that this brand or that brand is inferior or superior to that one.
We all have eyes and ears and brain to make our own fair assessment. * Put the disc inside the machine, press Play, ...magic!
post #82 of 971 Old 01-12-2017, 10:31 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1859 Post(s)
Liked: 2249
Quote:
In few months from now is the future. When it comes we'll see the outcome. I've already mentioned few times in this thread; did you read it from the beginning?
Yes, (I'm ashamed to admit that) I've read the entire thread. I've probably lost a bunch of brain cells as a result, but there sure were a lot of shiny links to click on.
Quote:
Yet he picked the Panasonic 900 to mate it with his JVC 750. His choices were made judiciously.
The Oppo wasn't available when he made his decision back in August so he had a somewhat easier choice to make. Your apparent conclusion that he chose the Panasonic over the Oppo doesn't make any sense. He chose it over the other options that were available at the time.

Quote:
* Regarding bias; it's a way of speech...no one is truly biased...we are all people of choice. When we see beauty it attracts us...it's natural.
No one is preaching by trying to convince others that this brand or that brand is inferior or superior to that one.
We all have eyes and ears and brain to make our own fair assessment. * Put the disc inside the machine, press Play, ...magic!
Um, what???
post #83 of 971 Old 01-12-2017, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
Quote:
Um, what???
Could have gone with the classic but it is a tad "gory" so here is a 24mbs new alternate...
Spoiler!
gsr, Angel Pagan, rdgrimes and 1 others like this.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shoveling it.
post #84 of 971 Old 01-12-2017, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, (I'm ashamed to admit that) I've read the entire thread. I've probably lost a bunch of brain cells as a result, but there sure were a lot of shiny links to click on.
Don't be ashamed; anyone can learn something.

Quote:
The Oppo wasn't available when he made his decision back in August so he had a somewhat easier choice to make. Your apparent conclusion that he chose the Panasonic over the Oppo doesn't make any sense. He chose it over the other options that were available at the time.
I never mentioned anything about the Oppo (you assumed). He picked the Panny; he could have got the Samsung, or the Microsoft.
Yet, he picked the Panasonic 900. And he recently just said: "I don't and never have planned to purchase an Oppo."
______

You are an Oppo beta tester, I totally understand the great work you do, along with Bob Pariseau, Bill, Dave, and all the other Oppo beta testers, I really do, and it's because of people like you that I have an Oppo player. You made them better each time.
You don't have any bias, do you? You just want the best 4K BR player right? We all do.

* Isn't amazing the quality pictures that a Samsung smartphone can take, don't you also agree? If the Panasonic 900 in combination with a JVC 750RB front projector can reflect such quality pictures we must deduct that PioManiac is very talented with his Samsung S6 Edge, and that all his components are well matched together, I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac
I would also like to clarify that the HDFury Integral is placed between my AVR and JVC, and as such is not in used for my LG 65B6P OLED (it doesn't need it). [Yamaha RX-A3050 has dual HDMI display outputs]
post #85 of 971 Old 01-12-2017, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
You are an Oppo beta tester, I totally understand the great work you do, along with Bob Pariseau, Bill, Dave, and all the other Oppo beta testers, I really do, and it's because of people like you that I have an Oppo player. You made them better each time.
You don't have any bias, do you? You just want the best 4K BR player right? We all do.

* Isn't amazing the quality pictures that a Samsung smartphone can take, don't you also agree? If the Panasonic 900 in combination with a JVC 750RB front projector can reflect such quality pictures we must deduct that PioManiac is very talented with his Samsung S6 Edge, and that all his components are well matched together, I'd say.
Whats bias, its either works to what we expect or compare to, or we are not happy with anything out there never mind the brand!

One of the topics that has not been touched upon with any comparisons is whether an player is introducing sharpening versus just presenting the video untouched. We had a big debate with people in forums either highly liking Darbee with BD players, and the BD video purists crowd who decried the usage of any video process that changes what the director wanted you to see in the first place. Because of the newness of using UDTV's and 4K faux projectors vs real 4K projectors this really hasn't been a hot topic yet.

Now since we are citing a example of the Panasonic UB-900 to a projector where I have seen numerous examples of where video sharping is a desired dependent on projector being used. Now candidly I can't compare this because I use only recent displays. Going by Vincent's comments with DMP-UB900 review the following test is relevant for going into all of this for performing comparisons of UHD players:

Quote:
Below this, there’s a more traditional choice of preset modes called [Picture Type]. These apply different mixes of adjustments to the gamma and sharpening filters, and one also clips peak whites for a ‘vivid’ look. We left this at “Normal”, which appears to be unaltered.
Moving on, Panasonic gives us control over [Sharpness Adjustment] in a way which is more in-depth than a typical control of this type. For the luma component, which is responsible for most of the detail we perceive in the image, control is given over gain to the high and middle frequency bands. Much like a graphic equalizer in a sound system, emphasising the high frequencies will produce a “crisper” result, with finely targeted sharpening, emphasising the smallest details in the picture, with thin edge enhancement halos as a side-effect. Applying gain to the middle frequencies will result in a “thicker” effect. We feel the mid-frequency control is of limited use and would only be useful for forcing some more “punch” out of very blurry video transfers, which are fortunately rare on Blu-ray. The high frequency gain on the other hand is beneficial in emulating a UHD-like picture from conventional BD.
There is also a single [Chroma] control which boosts the Cb and Cr components, giving the perception of finer coloured details. It appears to target the (relatively) high frequencies. With the player outputting a 4:4:4 (full chroma resolution) signal from a 4:2:0 (half chroma resolution) Blu-ray Disc source, this means that the Panasonic DMP-UB900 can upsample the chroma pixels and give the perception of greater coloured details than the Blu-ray format is able to store.
Most interestingly of all is the overshoot/ringing correction filter which Panasonic applies as a secondary step. When images are scaled, new pixels are calculated, the design of the filter dictating the end result. Broadly speaking, upscaling algorithms produce an image that has blurring, aliasing (jagginess), or ringing artefacts when compared to the original. The latter appears to be the most popular in consumer electronics applications, and arguably ringing artefacts are the least objectionable of the three because at least they result in the perception of a sharper picture, similar to a deliberate edge enhancement filter. Nearly all of our readers will be familiar with the “glowing” effect that can often be seen around details like text, in a video signal that has been affected by sharpening filters. The UB900’s [Edge Correction] targets the ringing and removes it. Impressively, there is almost no collateral damage with genuine fine details. The most obvious improvement it makes in real-world content is removing glowing artefacts in the area between the active picture area and letterboxing.
The below images illustrate the ringing that results from the upscaling, and the filtered result, using the Sharpness test pattern from the Spears & Munsil BD:
Click on the options below to compare modes:
[Edge Correction] off | [Edge Correction] on
You might think that as video purists, we’d be against any kind of sharpening process, because they have a poor reputation. It’s true that a lot of damage can be done to the picture with these controls. However, done properly and minimally, we feel that this kind of processing can be beneficial if used in a way which respects the intentions of the content producer. For example, let’s say you’re watching a film from BD on a 3-chip LCOS projector, which has poorer resolution performance than a single-chip DLP design, or indeed than the high-end 3-chip projectors used in cinemas. In this case, pre-emphasising the high frequencies in the image to compensate for deficiencies elsewhere in the system could be beneficial (although of course, it’s not a replacement for the real thing). Likewise, although the best Blu-ray Discs still look great upscaled to UHD, a small amount of careful sharpening can provide a little extra crispness that the 1080p disc itself cannot.
Regarding "However, done properly and minimally, we feel that this kind of processing can be beneficial if used in a way which respects the intentions of the content producer" we had the same thought with Darbee used in moderation that it benefits image quality on displays that don't offer the latest/best video processing. So this IMHO all plays into what I said above with subjective comparisons between players. Hope this helps.

Oppo Beta Group
post #86 of 971 Old 01-12-2017, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I've read that John; thx for quoting it...it is relevant good positive info.
post #87 of 971 Old 01-12-2017, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post
Could have gone with the classic but it is a tad "gory" so here is a 24mbs new alternate...
Spoiler!
Good sense of humor.

Spoiler!
post #88 of 971 Old 01-13-2017, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Post Setups | Video Education | Visual Direction | All that Jazz ♫

Some people (many perhaps) might be interested reading this: OPPO UDP-203 : réglages (setups) | HDFever
The Panasonic 900 is often mentioned, of course, and also the Samsung 8500 ... as comparisons.

* It's in French (my native tongue), so use your "Translation accommodator" feature.

Stay tuned...it's going to get interesting...
_____

Bonus: Links to setup your 4K home theater visual system (4K/HDR Displays - OLED/LED/QLED Panels/D-ILA PJs ... <> 4K/HDR BR Players):

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...l#post23094882
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...l#post44269674

http://rmadvancedcaldisc.com/
http://rmadvancedcaldisc.com/rm-uhdhdr-10.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vid...l#post38135897

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-13-2017 at 05:00 PM.
post #89 of 971 Old 01-14-2017, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those interested I'm going to give review/comparison of UB 900 with older Panasonic plasma(1080P)VT25 for those of us that just can't let go of these gems. I tested its sound with older equipment-Receiver Yamaha RX-Z9 coax output and multi channel. Compared it to a Yamaha BDA1010 which is only BR player I've ever seen in a professional review to beat a Oppo in sound(beat bdp93 slightly according to reviewer). Also compared to a former Sony flagship BDP-S790(video only) and Panasonic older flagship DMP500. First off video wise with regular blu ray this is best PQ of any BR player I've used or tested. It's easily the best compared to players mentioned. I purchased just because of BR quality although was hoping for incredible audio as well. Compared to the Yamaha in both digital audio and multi channel surround the Panny's upper and mid sounds are very crisp but to me feels lacking in bass and not as overall natural as the Yamaha. Hoping this is a setup issue as many people are rave about the pannys audio. I have high clarity enabled. I definately prefer the Yamaha sound wise and even though I'm an audiophile will still be watching the panny-the pic is that good. Any thoughts as why bass sounds thin on this? A setting for this? P.S Also I did try a UHD disc played back in SD mode. Looked pretty good but not as tru as regular BR on this set(sure it had to do with conversion or I had setting wrong). Had to adjust level to +4 just because too dark. I did have color set to 444 which someone said is not optimum for this conversion so I may go back and try auto mode.
post #90 of 971 Old 01-14-2017, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thx Nak for sharing this here. We all keep track of the latest, and with new UHD player models coming up in 2017 from Panasonic, Samsung, and first 4K players from Sony, LG, ...
______

* An older review (May 27, 2016) from the Panasonic 900 compared to the Samsung 8500 → Panasonic DMP-UB900 vs Samsung UBD-K8500 review
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
blu ray , playback , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page