UHD Blu-ray players (All) | Comparisons... - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2526Likes

post #181 of 971 Old 01-17-2017, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
Below is a copy from a thread i posted on SNA here in Australia....

As some may have seen in the Oppo thread i purchased the 203 to use with my JVC X7000 projector.
Previously i was using the Pioneer BDP LX88 the last of Pioneers high end upscaling BlyRay players.

I had great enthusiasm for the Oppo, it would enable me to finally use the 4K UHD dic,s i have been collecting ...around 40 titles now.
The Oppo turned out to be a great disappointment in several area,s.
The first was the failed implementation of the "Strip MetaData" feature that many projector owners were waiting for. The Oppo also has a few "Quirks" when it comes to playback, but is still usable once you are a where of them.
The biggest failing for me was when i did comaprisons against the LX88 and its upscaled blurays, much to my amazement the images form the Oppo ARE lacking in clarity and sharpness. This just shouldnt be the case...Native 4k should wipe the flloor with upscaled Bluray! I also was not happy with the colour reproduction on the Oppo.

I decide to purchase the Panasonic UB900 UHD player.
I have had the UB900 for 3 days now and put quite a few hours comparisons to the Oppo.

The Panasonic is a "Dainty" little thing when compared to the Oppo in size, BUT the performance of the UB900 is huge!
When compared to the Oppo with the X7000 , the UB900 is far far superior to the Oppo!!

The first thing apparent is the absolute "crispness" and "detail" in the UHD HDR image...it destroys the Oppo image ! This is without any further enhancement of the picture using the brilliant processing options available on the UB900.
The second thing is COLOUR.... the UB900 has gorgeous rich colours , but they look a hell of alot more natural than the Oppo. The UB900 colours have more depth, and give the image a more 3D look.

The images i NOW get from UHD HDR are very impressive.... far far better than the Oppo and certainly better than the images from the LX88 and upscaled blurays....

Now i really do see the benefit in 4K and HDR....:thumb:

If you are contemplating either the UB900 or the Oppo 203.......i strongly recommend the UB900 over the Oppo.....
Thanks woofer for comparing the ub900 to the oppo 203.

How would you rate the PQ comparing your Pioneer LX88 to your Panny UB900 when just playing regular blu rays?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 971 Old 01-17-2017, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ix View Post
Y'all know this thread was created as a trap to get this kind of ultimately pointless opinion-flinging out of other threads, right?

It's a universal truth on discussion boards that it's not enough for someone to be "right" - someone else has to be "wrong" How this zero-sum gamesmanship came about would make for an interesting sociology research project.
I forgot to ask you: You don't have any bias by the way, right, you just want the best picture, sound, operability and reliability?
You're all for fair comparisons from all members sharing and asking for this thread, right?

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-17-2017 at 12:48 PM.
post #183 of 971 Old 01-17-2017, 02:02 PM
Ix
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
I forgot to ask you: You don't have any bias by the way, right, you just want the best picture, sound, operability and reliability?
You're all for fair comparisons from all members sharing and asking for this thread, right?
That's a bit of a ridiculous, not to mention leading question Everyone has bias. It is how we are wired.

Of course I want the best picture, sound, operability, and reliability. Of course I am all for members sharing fair comparisons. I'm a Gold supporter who's been here 17+ years, it's my hobby too. You sound like a pollster

You think that is what is happening in this thread? Because I don't. This is the textual equivalent of people shouting opinions at one another and then sticking fingers in their ears. The word "scientific" is thrown around a lot but there is scant evidence of it. Nor is there likely to be....when it comes to opinionated choices like those presented here, there's only one way to get to the "truth" and that is get both players, evaluate them both, and decide which one fits your situation and setup. No screenshots or anecdotal evidence is going to change that. And also understand that what fits one setup doesn't mean someone else is "wrong".

Like I said this isn't a zero-sum game. Though I am perfectly happy to see the debate contained here.
Smarty-pants likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 971 Old 01-17-2017, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, I'm glad you made it clear now; your very last line...100%... " Though I am perfectly happy to see the debate contained here."

And congratulations on your Gold wings and 17 years+ of support (date/year = July 2000).
_____

And stay tuned...you certainly don't want to miss what's coming up.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-17-2017 at 02:21 PM.
post #185 of 971 Old 01-17-2017, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I'd like to throw in the Panasonic DMP-UB700 in the mix - a much cheaper player with the EXACT same picture quality as it's bigger brother (regardless what WhatHifi writes).
Since I haven't tried the Oppo UDP-203 yet, I can't compare it with that, but I am an Oppo lover, and I've owned the BDP-83 and currently own a region modded BDP-103, and compared to the 103 the Panasonic player is MUCH sharper when it comes to playing regular bluray discs. 3D discs seems to start a bit faster than my Oppo player, but the picture quality is simular. If the Oppo player had kept two HDMI inputs instead of reducing it to one, I might have give that another thought, but since I want Netflix and YouTube in 4K quality, and never got along with my ChromeCast Ultra the Panasonic is in my opinion the better choice for me. Although - I WILL miss SACD and DVD Audio...

(Also - last but not least - I can get a better WCG picture on my non HDR Epson LS10000 laser projector with the Panasonic player, if I pair it with a HDFury Linker than I currently can with the Oppo player. And rumour has it that it might come an update to the Panasonic player which does the exact same thing, so I won't need to buy the Linker.)

/Spygg
post #186 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 01:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 2061
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDcowboy View Post
Thanks woofer for comparing the ub900 to the oppo 203.

How would you rate the PQ comparing your Pioneer LX88 to your Panny UB900 when just playing regular blu rays?
The UB900 is superb with UHD HDR...but the LX88 provides a better image on upscaled STD Bluray.. The LX88 is the BEST STD Bluray player i have ever had the pleasure of using...

The UB900 does a good job of STD Bluray, but its not its forte ...4K UHD,s are..
post #187 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1812 Post(s)
Liked: 1234
Having spent some days with the pana, and a month with the Oppo 203 time for some comparative thoughts,

Construction, Remote what comes in the box and initial impressions

the oppo comes in quite elaborate box, vs the much more compact panasonic which is packaged in a much more utilitarian manner. Both come with decent sized remotes and with ~2m 18gbps hdmi cables. The oppo cable is premium certified with the sticker to identify as such. not that cables at 2m really matters whether premium certified or not in my experience.

Some things blindingly obvious looking at the players... the Oppo is a very swish looking machine...full component width typical component depth. Nice solid case, stylish and polished looking piece of AV gear. Minimum of buttons. The styling overall I very much like vs the older 103. The pana... my god it is a tiny thing ! quite short in component depth but atleast component width, quite low profile. Very much a box mover style disc player but to be fair it is much better built than most of those. They are sure trying wiht a nice shiny top, metal case, with just one bit of useless form over function bling in the plastic crystal look front flap ..couldnt help them selves I guess ! anyways it does look better in the rack vs the sammy uhd player which was a bit more of a challenge with its curvy front and quite low profile case !

The remote on the pana is very nice... nice its back lit and the buttons have a positive feel to them.... using it ....I do miss the motion sensitive remote of the oppo though .... the oppo remote does seem cheaper and more generic by comparison though. these things do matter... in a projector setup and a dark room you want to quickly press a button on the oppo can do that ...on the pana have to hit the light button bottom left hand corner ... having used an oppo for a month...funny the things you get used to...

Getting going and basic settings

On first boot up of the panasonic...hey I could see a main menu ! and this straight through my marantz av8802a processor and through to either my jvc x7000 projector or pioneer kuro krp-500M. I noticed straight off the main menu on the panasonic was in 1080p50 res which is such a much better idea than oppo with their menu using max hdmi bandwidth that most people are going to struggle with existing hdmi cables and those longer than 7m. As some might know currently no premium certified hdmi cables exist over 7m to guarantee most will see the main menu with the oppo, but with the pana no one will have any issue with the menu. So out of box even switching on people are going to find things working with the pana but many I suspect will get caught out with the oppo and find they have to work around this crazy need of oppo to push a menu through at max hdmi bandwidth.

The first evening I spent with the Pana...I mainly just spent setting things up/basic calibration and a few test discs and such. I tend to like to do this with a new player to make sure things are right.

in initial use... the pana comes across as a very polished and sophisticated player...it does make the oppo feel like a beta release product. however the oppo does seem to have a plethora of options etc a lot more the pana. On the pana do also have quite a bit of tweak a ability however tends to keep out of the way but I would suggest still a little less in options than the oppo.

One thing I picked up straight off for instance ... and this might mean something to people and might not. the oppo like just about every brand blu-ray player in the last few years ... since the conception of 3D has a screen size setting. Not that it is totally clear what that does..and given my projector also has it appears a facility which I will explore. But have always without thought bunged in the screen size in the player...so bit of a surprise to not find it any place on the pana. Something will report through to panasonic.

I noted the pana by default going through the settings on the audio side has dynamic range compression as OFF and also bitstream enabled. As distinct from the oppo that leaves dynamic range compression and bit streaming in "auto" settings.

Initial viewing

In initial viewing and on out of box video settings I ran through just one DVD (morcheeba brixton to beijing live concert - PAL), blu-ray (mr and mrs smith) and UHD blu-ray(life of pi) through the pana just to test things. and hey they all just play...through my marantz to either the pio kuro or the jvc x7000 another good surprise ! why a suprise ? well with the oppo out of box ... I couldnt get DVD to play through to my jvc...without some mucking about with settings...vs the pana that just works. Some very initial impressions...not sure there is much difference PQ between the oppo and pana on Blu-ray. With DVD the pana looks sub standard with jaggies and such. With UHD blu-ray the pana looks quite a step up in PQ ...this is keeping in mind with the pana on out of box settings and the oppo having put in quite a bit of work to get decent looking via all three formats. This was a little suprise to me to be honest. that the pana was visibly with issues for DVD...something I need to explore. that blu-ray was not jumping out PQ wise in differnece between them and such a differnece between them for uhd blu-ray particularly since that the pana out of box and not having been setup for looking better than the oppo ?. Which led me to do some further setup and calibration for the panasonic.

Further setup and calibration and further exploration

for DVD looking a bit more carefully its things like guitar strings for instance showing jaggies on the pana... I think I will bring this to pana's attention. perhaps they have something to suggest to improve on this. nothing I could see to improve. On blu-ray I did some basic setup using the wow disney blu-ray. I didnt find greatly too much in difference between in picture settings needed. but what I did find is the color setting I could crank right back to zero for the pana whereas tend to have crank right back for the oppo ? similarly when I came to doing setup for HDR...on the oppo I found I had to raise brightness to +3 in the player otherwise I found I was clipping blacks and not able to adjust with just the projector settings. not something I found on the pana...meaning I could leave the pana settings at zero. Not really sure what is the go with the oppo the way it is and I do hope something oppo can fix with regards clipping black issue.

Anways post setup watching blu-rays back to back...I can definitely now see the image via the pana to my jvc is much sharper cleaner more defined ..vs the oppo image looks softer less defined. I did this using the Lucy blu-ray of which I have two so was easy to do comparing one vs the other switching between the inputs on my marantz.

Comparing uhd blu-ray I used THE Shallows UHD...goodness the difference picture wise between pana and oppo has to be seen ! the pana is really quite a step up indeed. its rich its vibrant its detailed...and more natural looking... eg blake lively when she is being driven to the beach look at her face looks vibrant natural..vs via the pana looks a bit flat and pasty. not that to say the image from the oppo doesnt look great ... its just the image via the pana just looks so much more real and natural. I tell you looking at the images coming off the pana you just sit there saying wow...a simply stunning movie the shallows on uhd. one very glaring and very disappointing thing watching the shallows wiht the oppo...god ... drop outs constantly ...little mini split second ones. cannot believe it.. I have watched the shallows wiht the oppo before and only had one drop out wiht it that time...at end titles... so why is it there is constant audio drop outs this time around . this aspect of the oppo is very frustrating.. Certainly the shallows is un watchable this time around for me via the oppo...with the audio drop outs ... and just simply amazing looking on the pana wiht the gorgeous stunning picture and absolutely no issue audio wise. the pana has wiped the floor of the oppo in this round.

Some general in use comments on more extended viewings

Since that initial setup have had much more extended use watched some more films in length on the pana to compare back to my experiences with the oppo, We watched Samba on blu-ray a french movie (made by same makers of The intouchables) lovely movie. With the pana it just looks so clean clear, such natural colours. Also other movies that have gone through there is an old favourite of mine in "the american" eg in the forest scene I've never seen detail on george clooney's face like this before. More extended viewings on uhd blu-ray with life of pi, good fellas, sicario, the martian and so on and so on. A gazzilion movies have gone through the pana... and there is one thing that has stood out to me out of all of it...

The pana at all times in use no matter the discs played has been faultless... no drop outs...no freezes... no reboots, no crashes no lock ups. With the oppo on the other hand...can be infuriating ... there are times with the oppo will get through a disc...and others like the shallows uhd with its continuous audio drop outs...at some times ...and then will just play through at others....the times when was trying to play the good fellas uhd where it kept freezing at the same point and then going back to the start of the disc... till eventually it would just play through and continue to play through at other times have checked it...this aspect of the oppo is very frustrating .. where can now sit there wondering when it would start mis behaving... and the pana by contrast is such a relief where can just watch a movie and enjoy...

Audio wise
With audio bit streaming off both players... I have not found ANY difference audio wise. and neither there should be. this is putting aside the audio drop outs of the oppo. and talking about sound quality here. Obviously the versatility of the oppo is there as a universal disc player and it does a wonderfull job with sacd and DVDA ...great to hear these discs again...however wiht a black mark of a audio drop out on the very lovely Steely dan gaucho DVDA that decided to have a drop out to interrupt enjoying it.

Some conclusions
The oppo looks a lovely made player, solid in construction and with its conventional build it is perfect a player in sense for a system such as mine. With a player of its calibre and also in its capability with not only video and disc capability but also in multichannel audio. However it is badly let down in use. Frustrating infuriating when it interrupts the listening and viewing experience with its bugs and issues. I've been an early adopter of DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-ray owning first of players in all these formats and while have put up with some aspects of their first release as players its a first for me to own a player such as this in the oppo where its issues actually is so interfering in what should be enjoying music and movies. So while the pana was a very reluctant purchase for me... and perhaps while not a perfect fit in form or capabilites (lacking multichannel ability) - where the pana wins big time is on two fronts...that it works and works seamlessly that it doesnt get in the way of the experience ...instead lets you enjoy it...and immensely with the picture qualtiy its capable off.

So on that note I said good bye to the oppo today. I returned it to a retailer I bought from and is the first item I returned to that retailer in the 30 years of dealing with them ! Thank goodness have retailer like that, that are supportive in taking it back. Its a relief for me moving on form the oppo. And will enjoy the pana for what it is. The oppo will re visit perhaps in 6 months time, its just not ready for prime time right now. perhaps they rushed it to market. Perhaps too many firsts for them. Perhaps oppo will get over the kind of issues they have with this player, not just the bugs but also improve the picture side of things to bring on par with the pana. I'd love them to get there ... as for sure I would love to have the oppo back in my system and have it do all the things I hope it will....
Spizz, Mikedit, sonichart and 9 others like this.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #188 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Liked: 729
I had the panny 900 I loved it I also own the Sammy 8500. I never owned a oppo, so I have no opinion on it. I am a Sony fan so when they announced DV I got excited. But curiously they will not offer it in their UHD Bluray players?I want to upgrade to a Sony DV TV soon but I'm in no rush this time. I returned my Panasonic for the lack of future DV support I was within my return window so it made sense for now to see what happens down the road, otherwise I would have kept it and sold my Samsung. If Panasonic 900 get DV in a next generation model I would buy it for sure. I never seen a better picture than when I had this unit to this day!
post #189 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
Having spent some days with the pana, and a month with the Oppo 203 time for some comparative thoughts,

So on that note I said good bye to the oppo today. I returned it to a retailer I bought from and is the first item I returned to that retailer in the 30 years of dealing with them ! Thank goodness have retailer like that, that are supportive in taking it back. Its a relief for me moving on form the oppo. And will enjoy the pana for what it is. The oppo will re visit perhaps in 6 months time, its just not ready for prime time right now. perhaps they rushed it to market. Perhaps too many firsts for them. Perhaps oppo will get over the kind of issues they have with this player, not just the bugs but also improve the picture side of things to bring on par with the pana. I'd love them to get there ... as for sure I would love to have the oppo back in my system and have it do all the things I hope it will....
I felt the same things and returned Oppo and i was saying this to myself maybe i didn't set Oppo right or missed some options or something because i was expecting Oppo to be a much better PQ wise and i couldn't believe the differences on PQ between them. Do you think this has something to do with issues Oppo having and can be fixed by a FW or something or PQ Panny is that good that Oppo will never match with the chip or whatever they built this with?
If somehow Oppo can fix it, i rather give Oppo a second chance because i like the unit versatility and things can do. Anyway i still read on forums some people saying Oppo has a better PQ while many others states otherwise. Really wondering that Oppo just missed it or can be fixed and PQ can be improved by FW or something because they had months before releasing this unit to compare PQ with Panny.
I hope someone can clear this up and we can have an answer.
post #190 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2868 Post(s)
Liked: 2051
Has no one been able to take any images showing the reported less sharp images of the Oppo versus the Panasonic?
post #191 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Disregarding all operation performance but just from a PQ (picture quality) point of view I've read here more comments in favor of the Pana but also some in favor of the Oppo and some where the players are considered equal. Some also say that they see no difference in comparison with the Samsung etc.

Given that eyesight as hearing is very subjective and on this I think we can all agree, given that bias exists etc.

Is it that maybe the players (the same model player) do not all perform the same? Some are softer than others? some are crisper than others?

What I really mean is I guess all the Oppo 203 and all the Pana 900 will have to perform within their own spec, but that spec has a degree of variance. Could it be that an Oppo on the higher end of the spec is as good or better than a Pana at a certain level of it's own spec??

Maybe people are just experiencing variation in production tolerances?

I have no idea of how many variations may be possible in the production of UHD players but given the amount of problems experienced with consumer electronics of all genres by members here I would say that this is a possibility. Maybe it's just not al firmware/software...maybe it's also hardware.
If you have TV sets with more or less clouding, banding, uniformity, even bending! etc. why can't you have HUD player with slightly better or worse PQ?

Maybe Pana 900s have on average better PQ than Oppo 203s because they have a better manufacturing process and quality?

Just my 2 cents.

I do own a Pana 900 but was looking into changing it with a 203 before reading this thread!!!!
Anyway I will soon have 2 units for some time and will try to see if there are any differences between them!!! Or better if I can actually see them!
post #192 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Has no one been able to take any images showing the reported less sharp images of the Oppo versus the Panasonic?
I have a few pictures from crappy phone photos and pictures you see on Panny is so beautiful (again i don't know how much pictures can help here, you have to see it in motion yourself), depth of field, colors and how natural and nice picture looks and this is no sharpening or anything color or edge adjustment etc. etc. from Panny all zeros, no altering picture whatsoever. Same setting from Oppo (don't have it anymore to take a picture) you don't get same feeling about PQ, not even close.
Question here is, this can be changed with FW or this is the way it's with this new chip or techs. they used?

Last edited by Salacak; 01-18-2017 at 07:01 AM.
post #193 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
As has been mentioned in this thread, static compressed JPGs are no way to judge image quality. If it were that simple this discussion would have been settled long ago. You really have to view video in motion to experience it fully. The difference between the two players is subtle but undeniable in my setup.

post #194 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
Quote:
I doubt you will get any real proof as the opinions on this are all over the map with some people saying Oppo is sharper, some people saying Panasonic, some people saying there is no noticeable difference.

I suspect it comes down to personal preference, the source TV/projector, and individual settings. I don't know how many people are tweaking the individual HDMI source inputs on their TV's. When I first plugged in my Oppo I thought the Xbox S had a better HDR image until I went back and tweaked the HDR settings on my TV and then the Oppo was every bit as good.

For people that really truly want to know, and where it is possible, I would recommend to buy both and keep the winner.
post #195 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2868 Post(s)
Liked: 2051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacak View Post
I have a few pictures from crappy phone photos . . .
lol I appreciate your efforts, but they don't really show anything, and certainly not any comparative sharpness difference between the Panny and Oppo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post
As has been mentioned in this thread, static compressed JPGs are no way to judge image quality. If it were that simple this discussion would have been settled long ago. You really have to view video in motion to experience it fully. The difference between the two players is subtle but undeniable in my setup.
A good quality photo taken with a decent camera of a close up static image is perfectly acceptable as a means to asses if one player is delivering a sharper image than another. Are you saying therefore that the difference between the players is not just sharpness but image stability during motion also?

I was hoping for something more along the line of Javs excellent comparison photos, as shown in post 19758:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showth...5#post49987345
post #196 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
I doubt you will get any real proof as the opinions on this are all over the map with some people saying Oppo is sharper, some people saying Panasonic, some people saying there is no noticeable difference.

I suspect it comes down to personal preference, the source TV/projector, and individual settings. I don't know how many people are tweaking the individual HDMI source inputs on their TV's. When I first plugged in my Oppo I thought the Xbox S had a better HDR image until I went back and tweaked the HDR settings on my TV and then the Oppo was every bit as good.

For people that really truly want to know, and where it is possible, I would recommend to buy both and keep the winner.
This. For whatever reason, I believe it has a lot to do with with the equipment in the chain. I can say that in my case I made sure that player settings (4K/4:4:4/12-bit) and receiver HDMI input (all video processing off) were identical when I was evaluating. I also swapped their inputs to rule out anything that I might have missed. It had no effect on my final judgement. The 203 is noticeably softer than the UB900 on 4K and 1080p material. The Oppo is far superior to the Panasonic on upscaling 480i sources.

Last edited by dpippel; 01-18-2017 at 07:10 AM.
post #197 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
lol I appreciate your efforts, but they don't really show anything, and certainly not any comparative sharpness difference between the Panny and Oppo.

A good quality photo taken with a decent camera of a close up static image is perfectly acceptable as a means to asses if one player is delivering a sharper image than another. Are you saying therefore that the difference between the players is not just sharpness but image stability during motion also?

I was hoping for something more along the line of Javs excellent comparison photos, as shown in post 19758:

Yes, that's what I'm saying. There is a motion stability component in what I'm seeing, but it's mainly better detail from the Panny. Photos are not a reliable means of judging PQ IMO. Sure, you can take them with a great camera, but unless you're looking at the native image at full resolution you'll be viewing a lossy-compressed and possibly resized frame. Again, if it were that easy discussions like this would be quickly put to rest. Get both players and test them yourself in your home theater setup. Nothing can compete with personal experience.

post #198 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Wondered how long it would take for the various defender's of one brand over another to start beating on each other's opinion. At some point, most of us learn that we might differ from someone else regarding what we "see." For me personally, owning both the 203 and 900, when playing back actual 4K movies, AND upscaling BR discs, the Panny presents the better PQ. I wanted, and frankly expected, the 203 to present the better PQ, but to my eyes it was not/is not the case. That said, just because I decided the 900 looks better to me, doesn't mean I disagree with those that see both players as having about the same PQ. That is entirely possible, and reasonable, because both players do an excellent job presenting UHD content. Pick one, or pick the other, I doubt anyone will be disappointed.

I fully expect Oppo will continue their usual path of releasing updates to improve on, or fix, their player, and that can only add to its value over time. Personally, I will continue to use the 900 in my main theater, unless something comes along to displace it from a PQ standpoint.

Jim
AidenL and Salacak like this.
post #199 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

No defending or beating coming from me. I'm merely relating my direct experience with both products. Like you, I went into this absolutely expecting the Oppo to neatly come out on top.
AidenL likes this.

post #200 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
I've not seen anything convincing. However, in post #193 in this thread, panasonicst60 posted some comparison images of a test card which appear to show a 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 conversion error on the Panasonic which isn't there on the Oppo. I'm hoping someone can verify that they can also see this error on their equipment and perhaps provide a solution if it can be corrected by changing a setting.

Images here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...UV1NDgwQU5PWEU

The fault can be seen as a horizontal line in the monochrome high-frequency dots pattern below the blue blocks.
post #201 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
"Now I'm going to add this on a personal note: Say I want to give my Mom a present for her birthday (January 18).
Which 4K BR player do you think I would give her? She likes a good picture and simplicity of life, meaning she's not into wondering around how to get a picture and sound from her TV.
She wants me to install her audio/video stuff, and program her universal remote (Play a Movie), and I'm not around after that.
It's the same with an iPad. I can set her up, with Face Time, etc., and I'm gone after; she's on her own with Bob (boyfriend without audio/video/computer electronic experience). Mom lives several hundred miles from me...millions. In ten days it's her birthday, not in ten months."

Today's Mom's birthday...a Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K BR player in the box and wrapped around a blue/silver birthday's stars sprinkled velvet paper...and a bouquet of colorful flowers.

Happy Birthday Mom!
_____

...Great read Al.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-18-2017 at 08:40 PM. Reason: [S][/S]
post #202 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked: 3136
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Today's Mom's birthday...a Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K BR player in the box and wrapped around a blue/silver birthday's stars sprinkled velvet paper...and a bouquet of colorful flowers.

Happy Birthday Mom!
Hope she's not going to be using it with an old Sony Trinitron. Surely her son has hooked her up with an LG OLED too

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #203 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

She has a 60" 4K Sony TV Steve.
post #204 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post49983441
•• https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post48676937
_____

Extra (Kris Deering's HT & gear - Professional Audio/Video reviewer):

••• https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-wha...30-system.html

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-18-2017 at 08:56 PM.
post #205 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Someone over at AVForum said that he was able to make the PQ between the two players identical by just fiddling with a few settings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebro68
I discovered how to make the Oppo output an "UB900 like" image; on my display the two pictures looks exactly the same... and the Oppo got that "natural sharper" look that many punters like... :rotfl:

To recreate your own UB900 (Oppo powered)...
go to:

Setup>Video Output Setup>Picture Adjustement

and set the following...

Brightness +3
Contrast +7
Sharpness +1
Noise Reduction +1
Hue 0
Saturation 0

Go figures what is happening here...

Oh! that "natural" Panny slight sharper look...

It looks pretty good to be honest...

That said i use my Oppo with everything set 0...
post #206 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 2061
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeve View Post
Someone over at AVForum said that he was able to make the PQ between the two players identical by just fiddling with a few settings:
Thats just rubbish!!
jb442386 likes this.
post #207 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Can you make it look like a Samsung picture also? If so, I now own a new hybrid "OPPOSAN" player with chameleon like characteristics! Kidding aside, I own and will keep my OPPO and will also now consider the Panny for my other main room setup.

Sony 75Z9D, Denon 4300H, Sony 65Z9D, Denon X4311, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4K, X1X Scorpio
post #208 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
Thats just rubbish!!
We're all very well versed on your UB900 bias. I'll do some testing myself and we'll see if it's rubbish or not.
post #209 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We're all very well versed on your UB900 bias. I'll do some testing myself and we'll see if it's rubbish or not.
Until there's more information about what the guy did, he's right. What was his equipment chain? What source material was he using - 4K? 1080p? 480i? Streaming? We don't know. We DO know that the sharpness control on the Oppo has no effect on native 4K sources. I'd say that the data provided is practically meaningless in its current context.

post #210 of 971 Old 01-18-2017, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 3781 Post(s)
Liked: 3610
Quote:
Honestly you are just as bad on the Oppo side.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
blu ray , playback , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page