Philips BDP7502, BDP5502 UHD Blu-ray Players at CES 2017 - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 156Likes

post #721 of 743 Old 01-12-2019, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 141
as long as i'm here and up at this hour of the night, does anyone here (besides me) have the UHD release of Castle Rock (the Hulu original show)? i've had something interesting going on with it.

the disc/show plays without incident, so, it's not one of those it doesn't work properly posts. what it does do is show something when i depress the info button that i can't explain. please see the picture below as it shows on the top the info from the player and on the bottom, the info from my TCL 65" 6 series 4K/DV tv. i am utilizing the dual HDMI output system with video going direct to the tv and audio going direct to my receiver.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6916 small.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	378.5 KB
ID:	2510102

so as you can see, it lists the disc as encoded in DV, yet, it says it's only outputting HDR. this is the only disc this happens. i've got tons of UHD discs with DV and they all say Disc/DV & output DV.

the tv is saying it's getting HDR10 which is what the disc is listed as, yet, the player says the disc is DV. i'm sure it's something to do with the disc authoring or something like that.

so, if someone has this title, is their player showing the same thing? has anyone had this issue with any other title as i have not.

thanks in advance for anyone who responds.

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Marantz AV7702MKII, NR1607. Xbox One S
Emotiva XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10A & 5A, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, ATMOS 7.1.4 & 5.1.2 NYGiants!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 743 Old 01-13-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked: 1147
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
as long as i'm here and up at this hour of the night, does anyone here (besides me) have the UHD release of Castle Rock (the Hulu original show)? i've had something interesting going on with it.

the disc/show plays without incident, so, it's not one of those it doesn't work properly posts. what it does do is show something when i depress the info button that i can't explain. please see the picture below as it shows on the top the info from the player and on the bottom, the info from my TCL 65" 6 series 4K/DV tv. i am utilizing the dual HDMI output system with video going direct to the tv and audio going direct to my receiver.

Attachment 2510102

so as you can see, it lists the disc as encoded in DV, yet, it says it's only outputting HDR. this is the only disc this happens. i've got tons of UHD discs with DV and they all say Disc/DV & output DV.

the tv is saying it's getting HDR10 which is what the disc is listed as, yet, the player says the disc is DV. i'm sure it's something to do with the disc authoring or something like that.

so, if someone has this title, is their player showing the same thing? has anyone had this issue with any other title as i have not.

thanks in advance for anyone who responds.
That's interesting. Would this be one of those situations where only some of the program content is in DV? For example, season 1 of Stranger Things on Netflix is SDR but season 2 is DV. I realize we are talking about a disc here, vs streaming. Have you tried any other episodes on your disc? Just a stab in the dark

Your screenshot reminds me of a question I have as well. I was trying to figure out if the Philips can pass native resolution, so that I can test the upscaling of my AVR vs my TV. I have the Philips video setting at "auto" instead of 4K which I would expect means it is passing native resolution. However when I play a 1080P Bluray disc, I get the same onscreen info as posted here: Output 4K/24Hz/SDR. Am I missing something?
post #723 of 743 Old 01-13-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
That's interesting. Would this be one of those situations where only some of the program content is in DV? For example, season 1 of Stranger Things on Netflix is SDR but season 2 is DV. I realize we are talking about a disc here, vs streaming. Have you tried any other episodes on your disc? Just a stab in the dark

Your screenshot reminds me of a question I have as well. I was trying to figure out if the Philips can pass native resolution, so that I can test the upscaling of my AVR vs my TV. I have the Philips video setting at "auto" instead of 4K which I would expect means it is passing native resolution. However when I play a 1080P Bluray disc, I get the same onscreen info as posted here: Output 4K/24Hz/SDR. Am I missing something?
i think in your case, auto means automatically match the displays highest resolution. so when watching 1080p disc, it will output it to the highest resolution of your display either 4K or 1080p.

if you set the video to 1080p, then play a 1080p video, that is what the player will output. so if you want true 1080p, that's what you must output, manually. if you set it to auto, and you have a 4K tv, the player will output 4K. i just tested those settings on my player. my tv now says it's getting 1080p/24/SDR as i tested the 1080p disc and set the player video to 1080p not auto.

as for my issue with the 4K disc, i did try the other (disc 2) UHD disc of Castle Rock and got the same thing as shown in the included picture from the previous post.

as to the receiver showing ATMOS during the Warner Bros splash screen, it happened again and someone told me that the splash screen segment is mastered with ATMOS/Dolby TrueHD so it will play in ATMOS/Dolby TrueHD for the 2-3 seconds it's on. so, that answers that part.

someone in another forum told me that their Oppo 203 listed the disc as HDR10, while i'm sure it is an HDR10 disc, just interesting that for whatever reason or another Philips sees the disc as DV.

oh well, i was just curious if anyone else's philips player gave them the same info with this disc. again, the disc plays just fine, looks great (HDR10) and sounds just fine DTS-HD-MA. thanks for responding.

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 743 Old 01-13-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2181 Post(s)
Liked: 1720
Perhaps they set some DV flag in the authoring of the disc. Maybe they originally intended the discs to be DV, and then decided later not to create actual DV video files, but forgot to remove some kind of disc flag telling the player it's DV? I know some players switch into a DV mode for the entire disc, not just for the specific DV titles on the disc, so perhaps there needs to be a disc-wide flag, not just DV enabled content on the disc.

Does the menu play in DV or anything?

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
Check out my video game movie edits
post #725 of 743 Old 01-13-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i think in your case, auto means automatically match the displays highest resolution. so when watching 1080p disc, it will output it to the highest resolution of your display either 4K or 1080p.

if you set the video to 1080p, then play a 1080p video, that is what the player will output. so if you want true 1080p, that's what you must output, manually. if you set it to auto, and you have a 4K tv, the player will output 4K. i just tested those settings on my player. my tv now says it's getting 1080p/24/SDR as i tested the 1080p disc and set the player video to 1080p not auto.
Ah ok, that makes sense.
post #726 of 743 Old 01-13-2019, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
please answer the following:

what receiver do you have and are you sure it's ATMOS capable?
what title are you having this issue with?
is it only one title or all ATMOS titles?
has this always been happening or did it just start happening?
Hi guys strange enough I went back to the menu changed it off bit stream reset the player went back put it to bit stream again then poof it's working
post #727 of 743 Old 02-02-2019, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anybody having trouble on Netflix when you scroll in the home page of Netflix...I have a Sony 700 that when I move up and down or across the selections in HDR mode set to auto the screen goes black then resets itself again....I have to do each selection; wait for the blackout to reset and then move onto the next one by one...takes for EVER to move the curser to what I want to view....want to return it . My roku premiere doesn't do it..Just my Sony....Does this happen to any of these Phlilps BDP7502?

Wanab
post #728 of 743 Old 02-02-2019, 05:42 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 8853 Post(s)
Liked: 5641
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanab View Post
Anybody having trouble on Netflix when you scroll in the home page of Netflix...I have a Sony 700 that when I move up and down or across the selections in HDR mode set to auto the screen goes black then resets itself again....I have to do each selection; wait for the blackout to reset and then move onto the next one by one...takes for EVER to move the curser to what I want to view....want to return it . My roku premiere doesn't do it..Just my Sony....Does this happen to any of these Phlilps BDP7502?
No idea about resetting, but any device that has native framereate enabled will blank out for a split second as it switches between 24P and 60P. Every device I own set for native framerate does this. Including my Philips and my Sony UHD BD players. The framerates can change each time it automatically shows a netflix trailer when you highlight a show. But if you keep the device set for one framerate, like 60P, it won't blank out.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #729 of 743 Old 02-07-2019, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
No idea about resetting, but any device that has native framereate enabled will blank out for a split second as it switches between 24P and 60P. Every device I own set for native framerate does this. Including my Philips and my Sony UHD BD players. The framerates can change each time it automatically shows a netflix trailer when you highlight a show. But if you keep the device set for one framerate, like 60P, it won't blank out.
This is more than a split second . more like 5 seconds....very annoying....saw an LG at BB that scrolled up and down, left and right with that split second delay....that's acceptable.....my Sony takes for ever to find a movie I want....

Wanab
post #730 of 743 Old 02-07-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanab View Post
This is more than a split second . more like 5 seconds....very annoying....saw an LG at BB that scrolled up and down, left and right with that split second delay....that's acceptable.....my Sony takes for ever to find a movie I want....
My 7302 seems to be getting slower as well
post #731 of 743 Old 02-21-2019, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
I was trying to figure out if the Philips can pass native resolution, so that I can test the upscaling of my AVR vs my TV. I have the Philips video setting at "auto" instead of 4K which I would expect means it is passing native resolution. However when I play a 1080P Bluray disc, I get the same onscreen info as posted here: Output 4K/24Hz/SDR. Am I missing something?
Quote:
I have both a TCL 55R617 and Philips BDP-7502 on order with expected delivery tomorrow (Sat at latest) and I've been scouring related forums here looking to identify the best baseline settings for when I put all this together. I have also been running through the user manuals and it confirms what @solarrdadd says about the "auto" video setting (11.3, p55). Maybe a "native" option will be forthcoming in a future BDP firmware update???

I do also have a question for @solarrdadd since you have both a TCL and a BDP ...

In the TCL discussions @aaronwt advised "Do Not use 444 with a TCL set for HDR10 content...". Do I need to change the default Video/Color Space setting from YCbCr(4:4:4) to YCbCr(4:4:2) on the BDP to match the TCL for the proper display HDR10 content on a non-DV disc? Will changing the default affect DV content? The BDP manual says that UHD BD playback requires a connection to a "4K/60p (4:4:4) device..." and I'm trying to reconcile what looks like conflicting requirements.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)

Last edited by smdelaney; 02-21-2019 at 10:22 AM. Reason: typo correction
post #732 of 743 Old 02-21-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdelaney View Post
I have both a TCL 55R617 and Philips BDP-7502 on order with expected delivery tomorrow (Sat at latest) and I've been scouring related forums here looking to identify the best baseline settings for when I put all this together. I have also been running through the user manuals and it confirms what @solarrdadd says about the "auto" video setting (11.3, p55). Maybe a "native" option will be forthcoming in a future BDP firmware update???

I do also have a question for @solarrdadd since you have both a TCL and a BDP ...

In the TCL discussions @aaronwt advised "Do Not use 444 with a TCL set for HDR10 content...". Do I need to change the default Video/Color Space setting from YCbCr(4:4:4) to YCbCr(4:4:2) on the BDP to match the TCL for the proper display HDR10 content on a non-DV disc? Will changing the default affect DV content? The BDP manual says that UHD BD playback requires a connection to a "4K/60p (4:4:4) device..." and I'm trying to reconcile what looks like conflicting requirements.
i am by no means an expert and don't claim to be, but, i did try changing the settings on HDR only movies based on the "from/to" you mentioned and to my untrained eyes, it looked the same with both my 6 series and P series.

so, i really don't know what to tell you. perhaps if there were captures of the mentioned differences, it would be clearer to us all. but, i'd say, give it a try for yourself, see what you see and get back to us.

post #733 of 743 Old 02-21-2019, 11:02 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdelaney View Post

The Philip's sends RGB to the TCL with Dolby Vision. Just like other devices send RGB to the TCL with DV. Which works perfectly fine with the TCL.I have mine set to send 422 with HDR10, since the TCL 6 series will have a washed out pic with 444 and HDR10.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

post #734 of 743 Old 02-26-2019, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have this player and I have a question. Is there anyway to show the bitrate of the disc being played?

Also what is 24p output? Isnt 60p better?
post #735 of 743 Old 02-26-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracolnyte View Post
I have this player and I have a question. Is there anyway to show the bitrate of the disc being played?

Movies are filmed and encoded at 24fps, so you want to send the original unaltered frames to your TV. If you send it 60p, then it needs to apply 3:2 judder to fill in those extra frames. One frame will play back 3x, then the next 2x, etc. That was necessary for old TVs but most TVs today support native 24fps signals.

Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
post #736 of 743 Old 02-27-2019, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
No, which is one of the advantages the Philips 7501 had over its replacement. But it didn't offer Dolby Vision, and this one did, so I made the swap. If I didn't have a TV or projector that supported Dolby Vision, I'd happily go back to my 7501.
post #737 of 743 Old 02-27-2019, 10:46 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:

No way to show it. And while it might be nice to see the bitrates, ultimately there really is no need for it. It certainly has no effect on what is displayed. That will be the same whether you can see what the actual bitrate is or not.

24P is needed so there is no judder. But some TVs, like my TCL and Sony, have no problem with 24P content sent out as 60p. They won't have judder. So it doesn't matter too much to me whether it sends 60P or 24P. Now if I had a brand of TV that had issue with that, it would be more of a concern.

Sent from my Nexus 7(32GB) using Tapatalk

post #738 of 743 Old 02-28-2019, 12:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No way to show it. And while it might be nice to see the bitrates, ultimately there really is no need for it. It certainly has no effect on what is displayed. That will be the same whether you can see what the actual bitrate is or not.

24P is needed so there is no judder. But some TVs, like my TCL and Sony, have no problem with 24P content sent out as 60p. They won't have judder. So it doesn't matter too much to me whether it sends 60P or 24P. Now if I had a brand of TV that had issue with that, it would be more of a concern.

Sent from my Nexus 7(32GB) using Tapatalk
Even if the TV can handle the conversion, it's still ultimately requiring processing that may not be 100% accurate, especially in lower motion scenes, so it's still better to send it as 24p.

post #739 of 743 Old 02-28-2019, 08:54 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
Even if the TV can handle the conversion, it's still ultimately requiring processing that may not be 100% accurate, especially in lower motion scenes, so it's still better to send it as 24p.
If it's not accurate you get judder. If it's working right you do not. And I don't see judder on my TCL and Sony TVs with 24P content sent as 60P. If they did, I would stop using any devices that don't have an auto frame rate option.

post #740 of 743 Old 02-28-2019, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

On a separate note, what do you think are the chances that Philips will update the firmware to support the Sony Dolby Vision profile? Anyone have any insight?
post #741 of 743 Old 02-28-2019, 11:09 AM
UHD Addict

I wouldn't hold my breath. It's been a long time since there was a firmware update.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk
Ph8te likes this.

post #742 of 743 Old 02-28-2019, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If it's not accurate you get judder. If it's working right you do not. And I don't see judder on my TCL and Sony TVs with 24P content sent as 60P. If they did, I would stop using any devices that don't have an auto frame rate option.
Still, there's zero reason to send it as 60p. There likely is some judder happening occasionally, even if you don't notice it. Especially in scenes with lower motion. I have noticed incorrect 60p/i to 24p conversions on my Sony. They're just subtle. The 60-to-24 conversion also adds latency to the video, which can affect audio sync.

post #743 of 743 Old 02-28-2019, 05:40 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
Still, there's zero reason to send it as 60p. There likely is some judder happening occasionally, even if you don't notice it. Especially in scenes with lower motion. I have noticed incorrect 60p/i to 24p conversions on my Sony. They're just subtle. The 60-to-24 conversion also adds latency to the video, which can affect audio sync.
I only have one device where I get audio sync issues. My ATV 4K when it sends Dolby Vision. I don't have that issue from the 7502 or other DV devices.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
bdp5502 , bdp7502 , ces 2017 , Philips , ultra hd blu-ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page