OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25396Likes

post #331 of 9849 Old 03-04-2017, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpalacios91 View Post
Hi,

Thank you for your response. I can confirm that my TV was set to Enhanced Format. I plugged it into HDMI 1 on my set. Yet, it still did not automatically switch to HDR mode.
Is the HDMI cable going directly to the TV from the Blu-ray player and is it a certified 18Gbps cable ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 9849 Old 03-04-2017, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Last night a firmware update was released for this player. I updated mine, but did not notice any difference. Anyone know what the update was for?
post #333 of 9849 Old 03-04-2017, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6052
Quote:
Originally Posted by whysoblu View Post
Last night a firmware update was released for this player. I updated mine, but did not notice any difference. Anyone know what the update was for?
Was it this one?

3/2/17
This utility upgrades the Blu-ray Disc™ Player firmware to version M36.R.0111 and provides the following benefits:
Improves the compatibility of Ultra HD Blu-ray discs
Adds support for various network services

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
DP-UB420 / ATV4K (3) / PS Vue
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 9849 Old 03-04-2017, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Was it this one?

3/2/17
This utility upgrades the Blu-ray Disc™ Player firmware to version M36.R.0111 and provides the following benefits:
Improves the compatibility of Ultra HD Blu-ray discs
Adds support for various network services
You know it could very well be. I did not jot down the FW version, but I set my player up on March 1st and there was no firmware available so that's probably it.
post #335 of 9849 Old 03-04-2017, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpalacios91 View Post
Hi,

Thank you for your response. I can confirm that my TV was set to Enhanced Format. I plugged it into HDMI 1 on my set. Yet, it still did not automatically switch to HDR mode.
Really not understanding your response here? There is no "TV was set to Enhanced format". Enhanced format is set on a per HDMI input basis as stated. Did you go to where the individual above told you and see if HDMI 1 is set to enhanced in the settings?
Gerry

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K
post #336 of 9849 Old 03-04-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
OK ... I'm going to back pedal. I only personally tried True HD in a MKV with DLNA. Another forum poster tried it with USB.

I just tried several TrueHD MKV test files (H265, H264) with USB ... and ran into the same issue with audio not supported on the TrueHD track .... but was able to play the DD 5.1 Core .... Sooo, not sure about this now !!

TrueHD works in m2ts containers for both USB and DLNA.
Quote:
There's a few things that are a bit different with the way this player behaves with TrueHD and MKV.

Although you still get the error that says audio is not supported. When you click info, you actually do see its showing TrueHD 7.1 with a bit rate. Older Sony player never did that.

You can hit the audio button during playback to switch to the DD 5.1 Core on the fly. Older players you had to select the track. Hit stop. Then hit play to resume ....

Finally I can confirm that for your BD backups, using MKVs, Cinavia is NOT detected using DLNA.

Could you also test Cinavia for USB Mkv please? TIA
post #337 of 9849 Old 03-04-2017, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Really not understanding your response here? There is no "TV was set to Enhanced format". Enhanced format is set on a per HDMI input basis as stated. Did you go to where the individual above told you and see if HDMI 1 is set to enhanced in the settings?
Gerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therberg View Post
Is the HDMI cable going directly to the TV from the Blu-ray player and is it a certified 18Gbps cable ?

I can confirm that there are occasional issues with automatically turning on HDR with at least one disc. I had a ticket open with Sony, and received a phone reply yesterday that engineers are aware of the problem and it might be fixed in a future update. In my case, it's only a problem when the disc is recorded in 4k/60p with HDR, and only when routed through my receiver.

Here's a summary of what I've found (note I also own the Samsung K8500 player):

1 - On my LG 65UH8500, with cables routed through my 4k/60p compatible Yamaha RX-A1060 AVR, all 4k/24p discs I've tried so far turn on HDR automatically and play fine. The same is true of the Samsung player.

2 - With a 4k/60p HDR disc (Billy Lynn's...), the Samsung will automatically enable HDR on the TV, and before the firmware update, the Sony X800 would not. Same cables. Could not even manually force HDR on the Sony, as it didn't even recognize HDR on the disc.

3- After the firmware update, the Sony now recognizes HDR on the disc, but shows in its display "HDR-SDR" and in the Options menu has the slider bar, as if it's sending an HDR signal to a non-HDR capable display. Color is more saturated, but not true HDR. The Samsung player, same cables, same AVR, works fine.

4- Tried connecting the x800 directly to the TV input, not going through the receiver, and the disc now plays correctly. I would attribute this to the cables, but they are certified 18gb, and again, the Samsung player works correctly through the receiver.

So, the problem seems to be some incompatibility between the Sony at 4k/60p and the Yamaha AVR. I will keep the x800, as everything else about it is better than the Samsung: quiet, smooth disc operation, SACD and DVD-Audio compatibility, handles hi-res DNLA files from my music server well. Streaming will get there with future updates, but I use the LG TV apps for streaming anyway.

I have ordered new certified cables just in case there's something wrong with the current ones, and will again try going through the AVR when I receive them.
mzupeman and farkem like this.
post #338 of 9849 Old 03-04-2017, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Ok so my order came in a day earlier at BB! Picked it up and set up player and put in The Martian definitely better PQ than the Samsung and as good as the Panasonic! Tried Netflix with Daredevil displays in 4K HDR no difference in my opinion with the other 2 players. Watched the airport battle in Captain America Civil war upscaled nicely on the Netflix app. I havnt tried a regular Bluray yet to see how upscaling is? I purchased Dr strange and 4K UHD Revenant and will see how those look. BTW I have a XBR 930C and my only question is what settings should this and any of the other players be on for Video output? All my HDMI ports are set to enhanced, I also use a active HDMI Monoprice Cable with the correct specs for 4K HDR it's 6 foot long and HDR on the TV engages when it's supposed to but I'm not that knowledgeable about color output or the frame rate? I always keep Deep color off that much I know! They all look good to me on whichever setting! Also as far as display info it's better than Samsung but not as informative as the Panasonic. Any suggestions on playback settings for this player?

Last edited by bobbino421; 03-04-2017 at 11:38 AM.
post #339 of 9849 Old 03-04-2017, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
Ok so my order came in a day earlier at BB! Picked it up and set up player and put in The Martian definitely better PQ than the Samsung and as good as the Panasonic! Tried Netflix with Daredevil displays in 4K HDR no difference in my opinion with the other 2 players. Watched the airport battle in Captain America Civil war upscaled nicely on the Netflix app. I havnt tried a regular Bluray yet to see how upscaling is? I purchased Dr strange and 4K UHD Revenant and will see how those look. BTW I have a XBR 930C and my only question is what settings should this and any of the other players be on for Video output? All my HDMI ports are set to enhanced, I also use a active HDMI Monoprice Cable with the correct specs for 4K HDR it's 6 foot long and HDR on the TV engages when it's supposed to but I'm not that knowledgeable about color output or the frame rate? I always keep Deep color off that much I know! They all look good to me on whichever setting! Also as far as display info it's better than Samsung but not as informative as the Panasonic. Any suggestions on playback settings for this player?
I like my sammy tv to do the upscaling vs the player so i use original resolution vs auto, and set 4k upscaling to off also have deep color off on the player. blu rays look amazing on this thing, leaps and bounds better them the sammy player, amd yes this thing is on par with the panny just much less expensive!
yanks1 likes this.
post #340 of 9849 Old 03-04-2017, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima View Post
Could you also test Cinavia for USB Mkv please? TIA
Hi there. I can't test on USB since all my hard drives are AFS (Apple File system) which I know the player won't recognize !! Perhaps someone else can test. I'm pretty confident though that if its doesnt get detected using DLNA ... USB should be OK too.
Nima likes this.
post #341 of 9849 Old 03-04-2017, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis52 View Post

3- After the firmware update, the Sony now recognizes HDR on the disc, but shows in its display "HDR-SDR" and in the Options menu has the slider bar, as if it's sending an HDR signal to a non-HDR capable display. Color is more saturated, but not true HDR. The Samsung player, same cables, same AVR, works fine.
So if you see HDR>SDR on the info screen of the player, the player is playing back HDR material AND the player "thinks" (rightly or wrongly) that its connected to a SDR display, and therefore is attempting to do the HDR to SDR conversion .. and you can use the slider.
post #342 of 9849 Old 03-04-2017, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Anybody play with that HDR to SDR slider yet? I don't really know how it works other than it makes the image appear brighter or darker on my non-HDR Sony 65X900A.
post #343 of 9849 Old 03-04-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
So if you see HDR>SDR on the info screen of the player, the player is playing back HDR material AND the player "thinks" (rightly or wrongly) that its connected to a SDR display, and therefore is attempting to do the HDR to SDR conversion .. and you can use the slider.
Correct. Before the update, the player didn't even recognize that HDR was on the disc at all. Now it sees HDR, but does the conversion to SDR. On 24p discs, the player correctly transmits HDR to the display, and the display's HDR turns on properly.

Other than this anomaly (and it only occurs on the one disc that has 60p HDR), the X800 functions beautifully, and I recommend it.
rdarcy likes this.
post #344 of 9849 Old 03-04-2017, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
I can confirm that there are occasional issues with automatically turning on HDR with at least one disc. I had a ticket open with Sony, and received a phone reply yesterday that engineers are aware of the problem and it might be fixed in a future update. In my case, it's only a problem when the disc is recorded in 4k/60p with HDR, and only when routed through my receiver.

Here's a summary of what I've found (note I also own the Samsung K8500 player):

1 - On my LG 65UH8500, with cables routed through my 4k/60p compatible Yamaha RX-A1060 AVR, all 4k/24p discs I've tried so far turn on HDR automatically and play fine. The same is true of the Samsung player.

2 - With a 4k/60p HDR disc (Billy Lynn's...), the Samsung will automatically enable HDR on the TV, and before the firmware update, the Sony X800 would not. Same cables. Could not even manually force HDR on the Sony, as it didn't even recognize HDR on the disc.

4- Tried connecting the x800 directly to the TV input, not going through the receiver, and the disc now plays correctly. I would attribute this to the cables, but they are certified 18gb, and again, the Samsung player works correctly through the receiver.

So, the problem seems to be some incompatibility between the Sony at 4k/60p and the Yamaha AVR. I will keep the x800, as everything else about it is better than the Samsung: quiet, smooth disc operation, SACD and DVD-Audio compatibility, handles hi-res DNLA files from my music server well. Streaming will get there with future updates, but I use the LG TV apps for streaming anyway.

I have ordered new certified cables just in case there's something wrong with the current ones, and will again try going through the AVR when I receive them.
On the Yamaha RX-A1060, do you have the receiver set to pass through the 4K/60P? Under the advance settings, there is an option under 4K. Default is 2 which does not allow full pass through of the full 18gb signal. It should be set to number 1 which allows the pass through of the higher signal. I had forgotten to do that and my receiver was dropping the signal to the TV.
aflorida likes this.
post #345 of 9849 Old 03-04-2017, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 166
All the time!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
In my case, the projector is the one which does the 2D to 3D conversion. I didn't even know that this was something that was ever done in the BluRay player itself. Are there BluRay players that actually do the 2D to 3D conversion?

Not sure why I'm asking though as I haven't really seen a good use for this capability. I'm an avid 3D Blu-Ray viewer though. Just too many "quirks" with the 2D to 3D conversions that I have seen with my projector.
My Sony BR does convert as 2D to 3D,, mt Sony 65X930C recognizes it as 3D and the viewing experiance is actually not that bad.. Nothing like a 3D original BluRay,, but the conversion gives you another whole perspective on hundreds of other movies.. I watched the Black and White Movie, The Day The Earth Stood Still in 3D,,, VERY NEAT!!!!
post #346 of 9849 Old 03-04-2017, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 166
2 Free Movies?????

Does BestBuy offer the 2 free movies this month when you purchase the X800?? Is their a form on line you fill out or?? Also, has anyone seen the 10 movies to select from??

Thank You.... Robert San Diego
post #347 of 9849 Old 03-04-2017, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post
Anybody play with that HDR to SDR slider yet? I don't really know how it works other than it makes the image appear brighter or darker on my non-HDR Sony 65X900A.
There's much more to it than brightness ;-). Download this Sony H265 HDR demo file. you can download the Sony "Camp" HDR demo here> http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=144

By using the slider, experiment with what it does to the clouds in the sky. Quite amazing !!
post #348 of 9849 Old 03-04-2017, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Correct. Before the update, the player didn't even recognize that HDR was on the disc at all. Now it sees HDR, but does the conversion to SDR. On 24p discs, the player correctly transmits HDR to the display, and the display's HDR turns on properly.

Other than this anomaly (and it only occurs on the one disc that has 60p HDR), the X800 functions beautifully, and I recommend it.
I would try another cable, even if it says "certified".

I was so happy without HDR...
post #349 of 9849 Old 03-04-2017, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert ham View Post
Does BestBuy offer the 2 free movies this month when you purchase the X800?? Is their a form on line you fill out or?? Also, has anyone seen the 10 movies to select from??

Is this another offer from Best Buy (not the Sony one) ?
post #350 of 9849 Old 03-04-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibo View Post
On the Yamaha RX-A1060, do you have the receiver set to pass through the 4K/60P? Under the advance settings, there is an option under 4K. Default is 2 which does not allow full pass through of the full 18gb signal. It should be set to number 1 which allows the pass through of the higher signal. I had forgotten to do that and my receiver was dropping the signal to the TV.

THANK YOU!! The Yamaha's 4K option was set to Mode 2. Changed to Mode 1 as you suggested, and 4K/60p signals with HDR pass through just fine now!

The setting doesn't show up on Yamaha's on-screen display, so as I'm sure you know, I had to revert to the manual to learn how to change it with buttons on the unit itself -- very non-intuitive.

My Samsung 4K player was able to pass through the signal using Mode 2; it was apparently defaulting to 4:2:0 format, which works with Mode 2 on the Yamaha. The Sony is passing 4:4:4, which requires Mode 1.

I can now recommend the X800 without reservation. Cibo, you made my day!
aflorida and Magellan55 like this.
post #351 of 9849 Old 03-04-2017, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert ham View Post

Its on the box of the sony player, at least it was for me. Once u register the product on sony.com they will confirm the serial number and send u an email releasing the coupon redemption link for 2 free movies
post #352 of 9849 Old 03-04-2017, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoss35 View Post
Its on the box of the sony player, at least it was for me. Once u register the product on sony.com they will confirm the serial number and send u an email releasing the coupon redemption link for 2 free movies
I received mine today. First thing you noticed is very solid feel of this unit. The setup was very easy, there is a new firmware upgrade. Also it updated at least one of the apps. I rewatched Deadpool, the picture was somewhat better than the Sammy, the hdr was certainly better. Next watched 1080p of Roy Orbison Black and White night. This was in an intentional grainy music video. This was just outstanding, the high Rez audio "woke up" the Yamaha and Klipsch speakers to detail and clarify that I haven't heard on my system before. It sucked me right into the music. I played with a couple of 1080p movies. It appeared the Sony was better at upconverting then the LG, much better than the Sammy.

Next tried SACD cd Bill Evans Trio, this was amazing clear and detailed. This new player is worth it for just the sound alone. Lastly this player is dead quite in operation and very fast at loading. Much more to do tomorrow.
jimsmith94, yanks1 and Magellan55 like this.

LG 55EF9500
Yamaha 1050
Sony UBP-X800
Klipsch 7.1.2 (with Dolby Atmos enabled)
post #353 of 9849 Old 03-04-2017, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Gerry
Alright, my response is not great there. Here's the bottom line, the Sony x800 was connected to HDMI 1 via the Marseille cable, HDMI 1 was set to "Enhanced Format." When I played Lucy 4K the TV did not automatically switch to HDR mode like it does whenever I watch HDR video from any other proper source.

I know my responses make me seem clueless/stupid, but I assure you I know my way around technology. Anyways, the problem is the Marseille cable will not passthrough the HDR metadata or whatever the hell it does, it doesn't work with HDR. The simple test was using another HDMI (and yes, a proper 18gpbs certifed cable bla bla) from the X800 to the TV. Played Lucy 4K and immediately it recognized the HDR data and switched automatically.

So, for anyone with a Marseille cable, it works perfectly for blu-ray, do not use it for 4K HDR blu-ray, it won't work.

Thank you all for your help, the best solution was for me to not be lazy and just do basic troubleshoot and test using simple deductive reasoning.
ggw2000 likes this.
post #354 of 9849 Old 03-04-2017, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hi, can anyone confirm I have all the audio setting correctly? see screenshot.

I connected X800 to Yamaha RX-A3060 HDMI1 then out to SONY X850D HMDI4/ARC port.

On the DTS Neo:6, what should be the correct setting, ON or OFF?

On the PCM setting, should I keep it at 48kHz?

Watched Hacksaw Ridge and The Revenant, picture are stunning and no problem. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170304_153711.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	2007513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170302_230305.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	2007521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170304_152829.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	2007529  
post #355 of 9849 Old 03-05-2017, 01:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1713 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Can anyone check if their US unit has a universal voltage?

Thank you
post #356 of 9849 Old 03-05-2017, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Ok. Final verdict. I got it to work !

The only thing. You can't use MKV containers. You have to use M2TS containers instead. Then TrueHD will playback fine either from USB or DLNA.
That is great to hear. So for M2TS over DLNA it will pass Atmos (should if it passes DTHD) and what about DTSMA and Neural:X? Final question, will it pass subtitles over DLNA as well? Thanks!
post #357 of 9849 Old 03-05-2017, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 136
How is the HD->4K upscaling compared to the Panasonic UB900, which is said to have excellent 4K upscaling qualities?
post #358 of 9849 Old 03-05-2017, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 400
One thing I don't like about this player is that when I set the resolution to original and pop in a 480i DVD, the image isn't 4:3. It's thinner. I have to manually select a different resolution output or 'auto' in order to get the image to display correctly. Not a huge deal but it's annoying. My old Sony Blu player didn't do this.
post #359 of 9849 Old 03-05-2017, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Glad to see this appears to be a great player at a reasonable cost. It's about time Sony released a player for their own format! Perhaps their delay was worth it.
post #360 of 9849 Old 03-05-2017, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima View Post
How is the HD->4K upscaling compared to the Panasonic UB900, which is said to have excellent 4K upscaling qualities?
Get a Marseille cable if you want HD -> 4K upscaling, it's worth every penny and offers quantifiable (and non-PQ degrading) enhancement of 1080p sources.

Last edited by djpalacios91; 03-05-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4kupscale , 5040 , dsf , Epson , problem , Sony , sony ubp-x800 , streaming music , surround decode , ubp-ux80 , ubp-x1000es , x800

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page