OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 147 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25407Likes

post #4381 of 9887 Old 07-26-2017, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post
I have a JVC RS420 Projector and just last night found out that there's a firmware update that resolves a lockout issue I was having. Not sure if that might resolve your issue or not, but thought I'd mention it.

Besides the lockout issue, whenever I change from a 4k source to a non-4k source, I lose picture. I'm hoping the firmware will resolve both issues, but have to wait for the RS-232 cord to be delivered to try it out.

That's with using a 33' RUIPRO - one of the 2 long cables that passed all tests in the link I provided above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For how long do you lose a picture? I think used on the RS500 that it's normal to lose the picture for 30 seconds but it eventually returns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4382 of 9887 Old 07-26-2017, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
For how long do you lose a picture? I think used on the RS500 that it's normal to lose the picture for 30 seconds but it eventually returns.

It never comes back, until I turn off the source and turn it back on. When switching between inputs or 1080i to 720p, there's the usual 5+ seconds of losing picture and then it comes back.

xbr75x900E and JVC RS420 with Elite 120" screen
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3060/RX-A3000, WXA-50 MusicCast Amp for Zone 2
L/C/R - B&W CM9/CMC2, Side - DS3, Rear - CM5, F/R Atmos - CCM663
Subs - SVS PB12+ and PB13 Ultra
Harmony Elite, ATV 4K, Nvidia Shield Pro, HDHomeRun Extend
post #4383 of 9887 Old 07-26-2017, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Unhappy

I'm having a really odd problem. While my X800 plays DVDs and BDs fine it no longer plays 4k Ultra Blu-ray discs. It says they might be dirty or another region, or "not finalized," and then puts a question mark where the disc icon is. I first had this problem with Skull Island last week but eventually it loaded. Tonight I could not get Ghost in the Shell to load at all. I then checked many others discs and none of them work, even ones I watched recently like Leon and The Fifth Element. Again, DVDs and Blu-rays play fine.

I tried resetting and unplugging for a minute. I am now trying leaving the tray open for one hour, which was also on Sony's troubleshooting list (supposed to air out the laser). If those don't work I guess I'll call Sony tomorrow. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this or had ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4384 of 9887 Old 07-27-2017, 01:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 248
I'm keeping an eye on my first UHD player for Christmas. I see the LG player lists NTSCPAL conversion. Does this player offer PAL playback also? If so, is that for DVD or also 25.000fps blu-ray content? I understand it's not region-free, but I have a lot of region-free UK blu-rays that have extras encoded in 25.000fps.
post #4385 of 9887 Old 07-27-2017, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post
It never comes back, until I turn off the source and turn it back on. When switching between inputs or 1080i to 720p, there's the usual 5+ seconds of losing picture and then it comes back.

Hopefully the firmware solves this but its not something people have reported and resolved with the new firmware.

It might be worthwhile connecting things with short, certified premium HDMI cables, and see if that helps, to rule out a cable issue (even though other people testing other copies of those cables report no issues -- you might have a bad copy or the combination or more than one cable could be at issue).
post #4386 of 9887 Old 07-27-2017, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I'm having a really odd problem. While my X800 plays DVDs and BDs fine it no longer plays 4k Ultra Blu-ray discs. It says they might be dirty or another region, or "not finalized," and then puts a question mark where the disc icon is. I first had this problem with Skull Island last week but eventually it loaded. Tonight I could not get Ghost in the Shell to load at all. I then checked many others discs and none of them work, even ones I watched recently like Leon and The Fifth Element. Again, DVDs and Blu-rays play fine.

I tried resetting and unplugging for a minute. I am now trying leaving the tray open for one hour, which was also on Sony's troubleshooting list (supposed to air out the laser). If those don't work I guess I'll call Sony tomorrow. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this or had ideas.
I just began experiencing the exact same issue with my X800. I tried several UHD discs, and they are all behaving in the same manner, but BD's and DVD's play fine (I didn't try any SACD's). I called Sony Service this morning, and they are sending me a new player and paying for all shipping. The downside is that it will take 7-10 business days once they receive my defective unit for the new player to arrive, so I will be without UHD capabilities for a few weeks. It's back to watching BD's via my Panasonic BD player for awhile.

Do not bother with the online chat support to report your issue. I tried that first, and they will only troubleshoot the issue and are not able to process a warranty claim. You will need to repeat everything on the phone. I was hoping to avoid a phone call, but luckily I got through quickly. The entire phone call lasted about 30 minutes.
post #4387 of 9887 Old 07-27-2017, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
I just began experiencing the exact same issue with my X800. I tried several UHD discs, and they are all behaving in the same manner, but BD's and DVD's play fine (I didn't try any SACD's). I called Sony Service this morning, and they are sending me a new player and paying for all shipping. The downside is that it will take 7-10 business days once they receive my defective unit for the new player to arrive, so I will be without UHD capabilities for a few weeks. It's back to watching BD's via my Panasonic BD player for awhile.

Do not bother with the online chat support to report your issue. I tried that first, and they will only troubleshoot the issue and are not able to process a warranty claim. You will need to repeat everything on the phone. I was hoping to avoid a phone call, but luckily I got through quickly. The entire phone call lasted about 30 minutes.
I haven't used my SONY 800 in quite a while (been very bzy)....after reading the above statements concerning "all of a sudden" 4K Ultra Blu Ray discs having a problem loading on the 800 I said I must test my 800 immediatly.
And I ran into the same problem initially. It said it couldn't read my 4K disc and said it may be dirty. And a question mark appeared where the normal DVD icon would appear on the HOME screen.
All I did was re-open the disc tray and start again. And all was fine. The 4K Ultra Blu Ray disc performed flawlessly.
I then tried different 4K Blu Ray discs and they all performed flawlessly without a problem.
And all it took was re-opening the disc tray and closing it .
I will see if this problem re-occurs.
Possible software upgrade is necessary.
I would suggest everyone test this out on their SONY 800
post #4388 of 9887 Old 07-27-2017, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflorida View Post
I haven't used my SONY 800 in quite a while (been very bzy)....after reading the above statements concerning "all of a sudden" 4K Ultra Blu Ray discs having a problem loading on the 800 I said I must test my 800 immediatly.
And I ran into the same problem initially. It said it couldn't read my 4K disc and said it may be dirty. And a question mark appeared where the normal DVD icon would appear on the HOME screen.
All I did was re-open the disc tray and start again. And all was fine. The 4K Ultra Blu Ray disc performed flawlessly.
I then tried different 4K Blu Ray discs and they all performed flawlessly without a problem.
And all it took was re-opening the disc tray and closing it .
I will see if this problem re-occurs.
Possible software upgrade is necessary.
I would suggest everyone test this out on their SONY 800
When the issue first started for me, repeated attempts to wipe the disc with a lint-free cloth and re-inserting it would work, but the problem became worse quickly. The Fifth Element was a struggle to get to play and the film broke up just before the airport scene, but eventually played through. It took me several tries to get Passengers to play last night. This morning, I could not get the player to recognize several different UHD discs.

My firmware was up to date, and I had already tried doing a reset on the device when the problem initially began. The Sony tech had me perform a personal data reset, but that did nothing, either.

Something was obviously failing on the player. I'm not sure if it has a separate laser to read UHD discs, or if there is just some circuitry to have the laser focus differently for UHD. In any case, something affecting UHD playback only was failing. Sony did not give me any hassle about authorizing a replacement under warranty.
post #4389 of 9887 Old 07-27-2017, 11:40 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9417 Post(s)
Liked: 6104
So far my X800, that I got on March 10th, has not run into any issues. But I did purchase the four year extended warranty from BestBuy. So if I do have any issues, I will just be able to take it back to the store, and they will give me a gift card for the full purchase price.

But my 2013, 2014, and 2015 Sony BD players are also still working great. So hopefully Sony continues their trend with the BD players I have owned from them.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #4390 of 9887 Old 07-27-2017, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Recommended Display Settings

What display settings are most of you using for this player? I've noticed the black levels are significantly darker with this player compared to my PS4 and my TV's (LG C6 OLED) on board apps. My TV settings are the exact same for all of my devices.

I have played around with the custom display settings (contrast and brightness) but have not found a happy medium between good black level and too dark. I left all of the main display settings on the player to Auto. Just curious if anyone experienced a similar issue and noticed improvement with a change to the deep color settings, the color space, etc. settings.

post #4391 of 9887 Old 07-27-2017, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
So far my X800, that I got on March 10th, has not run into any issues. But I did purchase the four year extended warranty from BestBuy. So if I do have any issues, I will just be able to take it back to the store, and they will give me a gift card for the full purchase price.

But my 2013, 2014, and 2015 Sony BD players are also still working great. So hopefully Sony continues their trend with the BD players I have owned from them.
My very first BD player was a 2nd generation Sony model (probably 9 years old), and it's still working fine in our master bedroom, although it doesn't get much use anymore. We also have a Sony BD player in our South Carolina condo that has been fine. The X800 is the 2nd Sony player I've experienced an issue with -- I owned a Sony ES 5-disc carousel SACD player whose disc tray mechanism died a couple of years ago. That unit was well past it's 5 year warranty, so it went in the trash.

Sony is handling this issue to my satisfaction so far, so I have no qualms about buying another Sony product in the future.
aaronwt likes this.
post #4392 of 9887 Old 07-27-2017, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked: 2113
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick7108514 View Post
What display settings are most of you using for this player? I've noticed the black levels are significantly darker with this player compared to my PS4 and my TV's (LG C6 OLED) on board apps. My TV settings are the exact same for all of my devices.

I have played around with the custom display settings (contrast and brightness) but have not found a happy medium between good black level and too dark. I left all of the main display settings on the player to Auto. Just curious if anyone experienced a similar issue and noticed improvement with a change to the deep color settings, the color space, etc. settings.
You should ask in the thread for your display to see what others are using. Player settings are pretty generic.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #4393 of 9887 Old 07-27-2017, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
I continue to be impressed with the X800's performance. The player is set to output YCbCr 4.2.2 and runs through a Denon X4200 AVR (with any video processing disabled) into an LG 65C7 OLED. After experimenting with the C7 doing the upscaling vs. letting the X800 do it, I've settled on the Sony doing it. It just looks better to me. I've also played around with the X800's custom video options and for up-scaled 1080P Blu-rays have the contrast bumped up one level. I've also tried bumping the color up one tick but took it back to zero. It got a little too saturated for my taste. The other night I watched the Batman Begins Blu-ray in a fairly dark room and was seriously impressed with the PQ. The increase in contrast made the image pop a bit more. With Blu-rays, much like HDRs, the quality of the transfers can vary but when you get a good one like Batman Begins it a pleasure to watch. What I appreciate is that Blu-rays going from the X800 to the C7 retain a film-like presence similar to my Panny VT60's but are brighter and more refined. Hopefully Sony will, at some point, upgrade the X800 to DV and maybe give us some more streaming apps but right now, the player is excellent, more so now that it's cheaper.
post #4394 of 9887 Old 07-27-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
When the issue first started for me, repeated attempts to wipe the disc with a lint-free cloth and re-inserting it would work, but the problem became worse quickly. The Fifth Element was a struggle to get to play and the film broke up just before the airport scene, but eventually played through. It took me several tries to get Passengers to play last night. This morning, I could not get the player to recognize several different UHD discs.

My firmware was up to date, and I had already tried doing a reset on the device when the problem initially began. The Sony tech had me perform a personal data reset, but that did nothing, either.

Something was obviously failing on the player. I'm not sure if it has a separate laser to read UHD discs, or if there is just some circuitry to have the laser focus differently for UHD. In any case, something affecting UHD playback only was failing. Sony did not give me any hassle about authorizing a replacement under warranty.
This mirrors my experience. When it first started last week with Kong I was able to get it to work with repeated attempts. Last night though it wouldn't play anything. Since others are having the same issue at the same time I wonder if it's a software update issue? I'd hate to deal with a long warranty return experience if it's something Sony will fix. Hmmm.
post #4395 of 9887 Old 07-27-2017, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This mirrors my experience. When it first started last week with Kong I was able to get it to work with repeated attempts. Last night though it wouldn't play anything. Since others are having the same issue at the same time I wonder if it's a software update issue? I'd hate to deal with a long warranty return experience if it's something Sony will fix. Hmmm.
I am not returning my player as of yet. I just experienced the same issue but when I opened and closed the tray just once it performed flawlessly. And it has performed flawlessly with whatever 4K Ultra Blu Ray disc I throw at it ever since. Hope it is a software issue and will require an update. I am keeping a close look at my player to see if this oddity re occurs.
My advice for everyone is to test your player and report back your findings.
post #4396 of 9887 Old 07-27-2017, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick7108514 View Post

I use the same display settings as for any other UHD HDR source. This is a very different calibration than for SDR sources, of course.
post #4397 of 9887 Old 07-27-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflorida View Post
I am not returning my player as of yet. I just experienced the same issue but when I opened and closed the tray just once it performed flawlessly. And it has performed flawlessly with whatever 4K Ultra Blu Ray disc I throw at it ever since. Hope it is a software issue and will require an update. I am keeping a close look at my player to see if this oddity re occurs.
My advice for everyone is to test your player and report back your findings.
I was gonna give it time but I played with it this afternoon and literally couldn't get any of 10 UHDs I tried to work. I ended up calling Sony and they said it can't be a software issue and are sending me a replacement. So... keep an eye on it guys. If it starts happening more than once or more often you might want to give 'em a call. On the bright side the service guy was very nice and thorough and they're shipping the new machine first. Can't complain about that.
post #4398 of 9887 Old 07-27-2017, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
I was gonna give it time but I played with it this afternoon and literally couldn't get any of 10 UHDs I tried to work. I ended up calling Sony and they said it can't be a software issue and are sending me a replacement. So... keep an eye on it guys. If it starts happening more than once or more often you might want to give 'em a call. On the bright side the service guy was very nice and thorough and they're shipping the new machine first. Can't complain about that.
I have had zero issues playing my UHD Blu-ray discs. I even played Passengers today after reading another member had an issue with that disc. I think it is player specific. Maybe those of you having problems should exchange serial numbers to see if it is in the same batch as others? Most owners with the same player seem to have no issues?
post #4399 of 9887 Old 07-27-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
I have had zero issues playing my UHD Blu-ray discs. I even played Passengers today after reading another member had an issue with that disc. I think it is player specific. Maybe those of you having problems should exchange serial numbers to see if it is in the same batch as others? Most owners with the same player seem to have no issues?
Sure, sure. I'm not saying everyone's is broken or anything, just that it seems more than just mine. I had zero problems playing any UHD until last week. I got mine literally day one at Best Buy, before it was even officially available I believe, so it was probably one of the first manufactured.
post #4400 of 9887 Old 07-27-2017, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sure, sure. I'm not saying everyone's is broken or anything, just that it seems more than just mine. I had zero problems playing any UHD until last week. I got mine literally day one at Best Buy, before it was even officially available I believe, so it was probably one of the first manufactured.
I purchased mine from Best Buy at the end of February, and it had worked flawlessly until this issue arose recently. I doubt it is a firmware bug, as I have been running the latest firmware since it came out in late April. Most likely we are seeing some sort of component failure that may only happen in a certain batch of units, especially since you and I both bought ours pretty early in the manufacturing cycle. I guess we will know if it's more widespread if a lot more people begin reporting the same issue.

My player is already on its way back to Sony -- I dropped it off at the local FedEx store this afternoon.
post #4401 of 9887 Old 07-28-2017, 03:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Quote:
I purchased mine from Best Buy at the end of February, and it had worked flawlessly until this issue arose recently. I doubt it is a firmware bug, as I have been running the latest firmware since it came out in late April. Most likely we are seeing some sort of component failure that may only happen in a certain batch of units, especially since you and I both bought ours pretty early in the manufacturing cycle. I guess we will know if it's more widespread if a lot more people begin reporting the same issue.

My player is already on its way back to Sony -- I dropped it off at the local FedEx store this afternoon.
Of all the players available, I assumed the Sony would be the most reliable. Sorry you're going through that.

Did Sony give you a return ship label or did you have to pay for return shipping?
post #4402 of 9887 Old 07-28-2017, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 812
I have had my player since the beginning of March no issues have cropped up. I tried my copy of Kong Skull Island last week but only briefly. I plan to watch the whole movie this weekend. If I have any problems I will report it .
post #4403 of 9887 Old 07-28-2017, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
Of all the players available, I assumed the Sony would be the most reliable. Sorry you're going through that.

Did Sony give you a return ship label or did you have to pay for return shipping?
Sony emailed me a FedEx shipping label, so the only thing this is costing me is my time. Sony has handled the situation to my satisfaction so far. I'll be happy as long as the replacement player arrives in a timely manner.

For those of you trying UHD discs that have failed on our machines, I do not think that is really necessary. I experienced the issue with every UHD disc I tried after the problem arose. If anyone else out there starts experiencing a problem with the player loading a particular UHD disc, it will quickly escalate to all UHD discs if it's the same issue.
post #4404 of 9887 Old 07-28-2017, 07:33 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
I have had my player since the beginning of March no issues have cropped up. I tried my copy of Kong Skull Island last week but only briefly. I plan to watch the whole movie this weekend. If I have any problems I will report it .
I watched my Skull Island UHD BD Wednesday night and had no issues with it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

post #4405 of 9887 Old 07-28-2017, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am expecting my 800X today, and will be connecting it to my new OLED 65 E7 tonight. I cringe at the thought of it being defective right out of the box - having the same symptoms as a few of you have reported. I think I may have one thing going for me, and I don't know how you feel about this topic, but - I ordered a refurbished unit.

Quite a bit of what I order are refurbs, and I suppose the argument goes both ways, but in my experience "Whatever was going to break DID and was already replaced by a team of folks that do NOT want that unit returned again"

Each of you that are sending in your units for warranty work may or may not get your exact unit back, right? Sometimes defective units simply get returned and fixed, but not sent back to the original purchaser. Chances are that when they fix it, and sell it again as 'factory refurbished' all the potential fixes have been performed, and the unit may be more robust than originally built.

Again, this has been my experience, and I report this anecdotally, but I've had more new in the box failures over the years than from refurbs. Add to that the savings of a refurb and you can see why its generally my preference.
post #4406 of 9887 Old 07-28-2017, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I havent had any issues with mine hooked up to my Marantz Sr5011 and my Sony 930D
post #4407 of 9887 Old 07-28-2017, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2002ti View Post
I havent had any issues with mine hooked up to my Marantz Sr5011 and my Sony 930D
I have had 1 occurance (hiccup) with my SONY 800 exactly as others have described earlier this week.
I haven't played any disc with my 800 in quite awhile (been bzy) but I experimented with my 800 earlier this week after reading reports from other users that all of a sudden the 800 is having trouble recognizing 4K Ultra Blu Ray discs.
So I inserted the 4K Ultra Blu Ray disc of "La La Land" and it gave me trouble as others have described.
It said "something like" cannot be read/disc may be dirty and a ? appeared in the Disc Icon on the Home screen indicating it couldn't be read.
I quickly opened the disc tray and quickly closed it and all was fine. The disc performed flawlessly.
Since that 1 occurance I have tried numerous other 4K Ultra Blu Ray disc titles and all performed flawlessly. I have been expiermenting every day since that 1 hiccup and have not had that hiccup again.
I am tho keeping an eye out and will continue expiermenting on a daily basis.
Others should do the same and report back here.

NOTE: I have had the 800 since 4/20

Last edited by aflorida; 07-28-2017 at 09:55 AM.
post #4408 of 9887 Old 07-28-2017, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Disappointed to learn that the Sony player, according to Vudu, will NEVER support Vudu UHD (it's a hardware limitation):

https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.ph...HD-in-VUDU-App
post #4409 of 9887 Old 07-28-2017, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Disappointed to learn that the Sony player, according to Vudu, will NEVER support Vudu UHD (it's a hardware limitation):
Maybe I missed it via your link... nothing about the hardware lacking.

Jake
VUDU Engineering

Most likely additional firmware/integration support required by the manufacturer. In general it's up to the manufacturer if they want to support VUDU UHD.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #4410 of 9887 Old 07-28-2017, 11:59 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:

https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.ph...HD-in-VUDU-App
It's not necessarily Hardware. Sony just doesnt want to do what is needed to update their security to what Vudu requires. This has been known for a while now. And is common with Sony devices and Vudu.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4kupscale , 5040 , dsf , Epson , problem , Sony , sony ubp-x800 , streaming music , surround decode , ubp-ux80 , ubp-x1000es , x800

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page