OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 148 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25407Likes

post #4411 of 9887 Old 07-28-2017, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 495
I wonder if this is typical of all current uhd disc players? Samsung lg the sony!s. Philips. No vudu 4k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 9887 Old 07-28-2017, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Maybe I missed it via your link... nothing about the hardware lacking.

Jake
VUDU Engineering

Most likely additional firmware/integration support required by the manufacturer. In general it's up to the manufacturer if they want to support VUDU UHD.
Jake is speculating.

The other Vudu rep (who is definitive rather than speculating, though of course they might just be speaking that way without having more specific knowledge) says "the device does not meet the studio security requirements in order for it to be a UHD streaming device with VUDU."

But your point is important.

I assumed "device" refers to hardware, but it could mean software.
post #4413 of 9887 Old 07-28-2017, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 203
With all these random failures, I just wanted to mention that Costco has a great return guarantee if the player has problems, etc. it is not limited by their 90 day return. I wish I had bought from Costco!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4414 of 9887 Old 07-28-2017, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Okay started the Netflix app and it started to play the video then stopped and went back to the home page, this has happened a couple of times. After starting Netflix it just shows the Netflix screen and has completely locked up the player will have to unplug in the morning to see if it will start working again.
Anybody else have this problem?
Also there is a small delay when the player boots and loads the home screen before it actually connects to the internet (wired).

Thanks

VIDEO: Epson 5050UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Yamaha RX-A3080
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #4415 of 9887 Old 07-29-2017, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrain28 View Post
Each of you that are sending in your units for warranty work may or may not get your exact unit back, right? Sometimes defective units simply get returned and fixed, but not sent back to the original purchaser. Chances are that when they fix it, and sell it again as 'factory refurbished' all the potential fixes have been performed, and the unit may be more robust than originally built.
The Sony tech told me I would be receiving a brand new player as a replacement.
aaronwt likes this.
post #4416 of 9887 Old 07-29-2017, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2075 Post(s)
Liked: 1251
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
I've been meaning to ask about this annoying issue on my player. I think its always been there but whenever I watch anything on Vudu app, there's a hiccup/glitch in movies. Like it fast forwards for a very quick second. Anybody experience this? Not sure how to fix this... Internet speed is plenty and doesn't do that on my TV's app. Its only on Vudu as well, all other apps work fine without any issues.
Can anyone help with this pls...
post #4417 of 9887 Old 07-29-2017, 07:14 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9424 Post(s)
Liked: 6105
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Okay started the Netflix app and it started to play the video then stopped and went back to the home page, this has happened a couple of times. After starting Netflix it just shows the Netflix screen and has completely locked up the player will have to unplug in the morning to see if it will start working again.
Anybody else have this problem?
Also there is a small delay when the player boots and loads the home screen before it actually connects to the internet (wired).

Thanks
If you use quick start mode there is no delay. The home screen pops up right away. I only use quick start mode with my x800.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #4418 of 9887 Old 07-29-2017, 07:16 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9424 Post(s)
Liked: 6105
Quote:
Are you using wired or wireless? Try the other connection to see if you have have the same results. Although personally I have not run across this issue.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #4419 of 9887 Old 07-29-2017, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Quote:
Are you using wired or wireless? Try the other connection to see if you have have the same results. Although personally I have not run across this issue.

Unlike other wifi devices, Sony players have always performed well with wireless connection for me so thats what im using right now, but Ill certainly try wired connection and see if it happens again. Not sure why its only the Vudu App though, maybe it takes more bandwidth?
post #4420 of 9887 Old 07-29-2017, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 284
I've had it lock up twice. And once while watching a regular blu-ray the audio became un-synched during the movie. I stopped movie and started again and its been fine since. Someone mentioned the older firmware version for JVC X570R ( which I have) and lockups. Not sure if its related or not.
post #4421 of 9887 Old 07-29-2017, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
If you use quick start mode there is no delay. The home screen pops up right away. I only use quick start mode with my x800.

Thanks will check that out when I get it back up and running.

VIDEO: Epson 5050UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Yamaha RX-A3080
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #4422 of 9887 Old 07-29-2017, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

So I tried wired connection and although apps and content loaded faster, Vudu still has the hiccup pause. Not sure what to try next, reset the player maybe?
post #4423 of 9887 Old 07-29-2017, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So I tried wired connection and although apps and content loaded faster, Vudu still has the hiccup pause. Not sure what to try next, reset the player maybe?
I noticed the same thing with my X800 using Vudu on the 1-2 movies I tried with it. I do not have the issue when watching films on Vudu via either my Roku Ultra or the Chromecast app on my Vizio M70-D3 display.
post #4424 of 9887 Old 07-29-2017, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 164
The strangest thing happened to Netflix on my player. No Vocal audio, like the centre speaker is missing. Strangely other Apps - Amazon, YouTube are fine. Tried everything apart from factory reset so far.
post #4425 of 9887 Old 07-29-2017, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
Quote:
I noticed the same thing with my X800 using Vudu on the 1-2 movies I tried with it. I do not have the issue when watching films on Vudu via either my Roku Ultra or the Chromecast app on my Vizio M70-D3 display.
Same here, Vudu on Samsung KS9800 TV works perfectly, its the Player thats messed up. Did we just find a widespread bug on the player? Can others pls report their Vudu playback on this player...
post #4426 of 9887 Old 07-29-2017, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Had my first lockup with the x800 last night. Watching 4K UHD of La La Land and it froze about 45 minutes in.
Nothing helped but unplugging and pugging back in.
I have the latest firmware update.
Any other problems like that people have encountered?
post #4427 of 9887 Old 07-29-2017, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I purchased mine from Best Buy at the end of February, and it had worked flawlessly until this issue arose recently. I doubt it is a firmware bug, as I have been running the latest firmware since it came out in late April. Most likely we are seeing some sort of component failure that may only happen in a certain batch of units, especially since you and I both bought ours pretty early in the manufacturing cycle. I guess we will know if it's more widespread if a lot more people begin reporting the same issue.

My player is already on its way back to Sony -- I dropped it off at the local FedEx store this afternoon.
Did they email a shipping label first and then they'll replace the player? I'm not sure what the guy on the phone said because of the thick accent. I thought he was sending the player and then I would send the old one back, but if it is an email I didn't get it. Hmmmm.
post #4428 of 9887 Old 07-29-2017, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkusterb View Post
Had my first lockup with the x800 last night. Watching 4K UHD of La La Land and it froze about 45 minutes in.

Yes, I had that issue with one of the very first discs I tried, which were all brand new. About half way through the movie it froze up and I had to unplug.

I started it up around the same place and worked fine for the rest of the movie, and I haven't had that issue since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xbr75x900E and JVC RS420 with Elite 120" screen
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3060/RX-A3000, WXA-50 MusicCast Amp for Zone 2
L/C/R - B&W CM9/CMC2, Side - DS3, Rear - CM5, F/R Atmos - CCM663
Subs - SVS PB12+ and PB13 Ultra
Harmony Elite, ATV 4K, Nvidia Shield Pro, HDHomeRun Extend
post #4429 of 9887 Old 07-29-2017, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Did they email a shipping label first and then they'll replace the player? I'm not sure what the guy on the phone said because of the thick accent. I thought he was sending the player and then I would send the old one back, but if it is an email I didn't get it. Hmmmm.
I received an email from FedEx with the shipping label about 30 minutes after I got off the phone with Sony. Then about 1.5 hours after that, I received an email from Sony with their instructions, which were the same as what I was told by the Sony tech. I was told to ship the player back, and the replacement player would be shipped to me once Sony had received the defective player.

You should have been given an "Event ID number" by the Sony tech. I asked the tech I was working with to repeat my email address a couple of times to make sure he had it correct, and also asked what to do if I did not receive an email. He told me to call back, refer to the Event ID number and tell them I did not receive the email. I would check your spam folder first, and if the emails are not there call Sony.

The email from Sony stated:
Quote:
Dear Scott,

Based on our telephone conversation, your UBPX800 with serial number XXXXXXX requires service. The good news is that this product is eligible for exchange. The replacement will be a new unit of the same model. If the same model is not available, we will replace it with a new model with comparable or better features.

You will receive a separate email with a prepaid FedEx return shipping label. Please use the label and follow the shipping instructions below to return your unit for exchange.

Ship your Sony product to the following address:
Sony c/o LSI
3300 Wood Dr., Suite 100
Garland, TX 75041

Please write the Event ID number EXXXXXXXX and Return Order number XXXXXXXXXX on the outside of the box. This will expedite the receipt of the product when it arrives. Please include a note inside the box with your name, daytime telephone number and Event ID number.

Please return the unit and all of the accessories that came with it. Remove all media (ex. discs, memory card, etc.) from your unit prior to shipping. We will not be able to return any media left in the unit. If your unit was supplied with an HDMI cable, please keep the cable.

For packing and shipping we recommend:
1. Use sturdy boxes that are large enough to put adequate padding around the contents.
2. Use inside packing, like loose "peanuts", densely packed shredded paper, and bubble wrap.
3. Use a minimum of 2" to 3" of packing material all around the item - use more for fragile items.
4. Use enough packing material so that the item does not shift or move during transit.

Upon receipt of the product at our warehouse, the process will continue as follows:
o We will send you an email when we receive your product.
o Within 1-2 business days after the product has been received at the warehouse, we'll place the order for the replacement.
o If there are any questions about the order, one of our representatives will contact you.
o The average processing and shipping time for the replacement order is 7-10 days.
o When the order ships, we'll send you an email with the tracking number and the carrier information. (Note: It takes 3-4 days from the time the order was placed for us to confirm the tracking number. We'll update you as soon as the tracking number is available. In the meantime, the order is on its way!)

The above outline is the steps and average timeframes for a normal exchange. Our goal is to follow the process and complete the exchange in a timely manner. We appreciate your patience in the event of variations in the process and timeframes due to unexpected or special circumstances.

If you have any questions or need assistance at any point along the way, please contact us at 877-591-7669. Our hours are 09:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
post #4430 of 9887 Old 07-29-2017, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Had the same problem with"The Fifth Element" had to unplug then plug back in. Since then No problems just finished watching "Kong Skull Island".

Sony XBR-65A1E OLED | Harman Kardon PA-2200 Amp | Panamax MR4300 | Apple Tv 4K
Sony Receiver STR-ZA3100ES | Sony UBP-X700 | Oppo UDP -203 4K UHD Blu-ray Player
4 - Klipsch RP-250F Floorstanding Speaker | Klipsch RP-240S Surround Speaker (Pair) | Klipsch RP-440C Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch R-112SW Sub | Klipsch RP-140SA Dolby Atmos Speaker (Pair) | Playstation 4 Pro
post #4431 of 9887 Old 07-30-2017, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post
Yes, I had that issue with one of the very first discs I tried, which were all brand new. About half way through the movie it froze up and I had to unplug.

I started it up around the same place and worked fine for the rest of the movie, and I haven't had that issue since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both the Sony X800 and the Oppo 205 and I was watching La La Land last night with the 205 I had the picture freeze also around the middle of the movie. So it might be a disc issue. I wound up just hitting the fast forward button and that managed to fix it.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp
post #4432 of 9887 Old 07-30-2017, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
I have both the Sony X800 and the Oppo 205 and I was watching La La Land last night with the 205 I had the picture freeze also around the middle of the movie. So it might be a disc issue. I wound up just hitting the fast forward button and that managed to fix it.
How is the quality comparison, if any between the players you have?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
Denon AVR-X4400H 7.1.4 config. / Plantronics Dolby Atmos RIG 600LX
Pioneer Andrew Jones L,R,C,SL,SR,SBL,SBR / (4) Polk Atrium 5 series TF,TR
SVS PB-2000 w/ SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System
post #4433 of 9887 Old 07-30-2017, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6062
I have to 203 and the X800. PQ wise, the X800 is great IMO, and you can't beat current pricing if you don't want or need Dolby Vision. I much prefer using the X800 for streaming over most everything else I have.
aaronwt and StingingVelvet like this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Uverse / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #4434 of 9887 Old 07-30-2017, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I have to 203 and the X800. PQ wise, the X800 is great IMO, and you can't beat current pricing if you don't want or need Dolby Vision. I much prefer using the X800 for streaming over most everything else I have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camd5pt0 View Post
How is the quality comparison, if any between the players you have?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I agree with gadgtfreek on the PQ I was equally impressed with both players in that regard and have played both 4K 3D and bluray. Also the AQ on those discs were comparable. I would give the edge at least with my eyes to the 205 when it comes to upscaling bluray disc's. I haven't really had a chance to listen to music yet from the Analog outputs. The few 2-channel disc's that I have listened to via the balance analog outputs I found the sound to be more aggressive and more up front than my Denon AIUDCI universal source player. I have a feeling that both the player and I will need a break-in period as far as that goes but overall I think I'm going to be happy I got this player.
Sharp1080 and camd5pt0 like this.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp

Last edited by mt14942; 07-31-2017 at 07:01 AM.
post #4435 of 9887 Old 07-30-2017, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
I agree with gadgtfreek on the PQ I was equally impressed with both players in that regard and have played both 4K 3D and bluray. Also the AQ on those discs were comparable. I would give the edge at least with my eyes to the 205 when it comes to upscaling bluray disc's. I haven't really had a chance to listen to music yet from the Analog outputs. The few 2-channel disc's that I have listened to via the balance analog outputs I found the sound to more aggressive and more up front than my Denon AIUDCI universal source player. I have a feeling that both the player and I will need a break-in period as far as that goes but overall I think I'm going to be happy I got this player.
The Oppo may have been "voiced" slightly different with a more forward sound? My 105 is more forward sounding than my Esoteric K-01X. Is the Denon XLR also? The change in presentation may be output voltage?
post #4436 of 9887 Old 07-30-2017, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I received an email from FedEx with the shipping label about 30 minutes after I got off the phone with Sony. Then about 1.5 hours after that, I received an email from Sony with their instructions, which were the same as what I was told by the Sony tech. I was told to ship the player back, and the replacement player would be shipped to me once Sony had received the defective player.

You should have been given an "Event ID number" by the Sony tech. I asked the tech I was working with to repeat my email address a couple of times to make sure he had it correct, and also asked what to do if I did not receive an email. He told me to call back, refer to the Event ID number and tell them I did not receive the email. I would check your spam folder first, and if the emails are not there call Sony.
Thanks for spelling it all out. My first call the guy insisted a player was being sent and even gave me an order number on top of the event ID number, but I called back this morning and the second guy says they're mailing a label to my house. He also told me to expect the email you got though, so who knows... I am happy they're replacing the player relatively easily, so I'm not quick to anger about it. See what happens.
post #4437 of 9887 Old 07-30-2017, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Is anyone able to get Super HD bitrate from Netflix? I seem to be stuck at normal HD despite paying for the highest tier of the service and having Google Fiber. I already checked with Netflix that I have everything I need to get Super HD encoding.

Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro L/C/R
DefTech ProCinema 1000 SL/SR
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption
post #4438 of 9887 Old 07-30-2017, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunPin View Post
Is anyone able to get Super HD bitrate from Netflix? I seem to be stuck at normal HD despite paying for the highest tier of the service and having Google Fiber. I already checked with Netflix that I have everything I need to get Super HD encoding.
Have you A) gone into your Netflix account and set the quality to "Highest" instead of "Auto", B) verified that you are attempting to watch a 4K show, and C) waited for up to a full minute to determine how high the bitrate gets?
post #4439 of 9887 Old 07-30-2017, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6062
Mine hits 15.26 2160p with ease.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Uverse / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #4440 of 9887 Old 07-30-2017, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunPin View Post
Do you really mean SuperHD (1080p)? http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/09...uper-hd-video/

Because most people seem to think you mean UHD (2160p)...

I get SuperHD (the highest bitrate 1080p) all day long, but Netflix doesn't bother to label it that way, any longer, near as I can tell. You can use those Netflix test patterns to see the bit rate hit their SuperHD bitrate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4kupscale , 5040 , dsf , Epson , problem , Sony , sony ubp-x800 , streaming music , surround decode , ubp-ux80 , ubp-x1000es , x800

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page