OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 193 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25396Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5761 of 9849 Old 11-07-2017, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 965
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinstripe View Post
You mean the X800 specifically cannot play Atmos .mkv files, correct? I ask because Atmos/mkv files do exist: https://thedigitaltheater.com/index.php/dolby-trailers/

Are there any UHD players that will play Atmos/MKV files via USB?
Correct. I don't know of any UHD/Blu-ray player that will play MKV atmos. This could be mainly because the primary function of these players is to play Blu-ray discs, which have m2ts coded atmos. I believe they just extend that capability to the USB/network.
Converting MKV atmos to m2ts atmos is a chore but can be done. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...KV#post2432963
Pinstripe likes this.
Hellohowareyou is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5762 of 9849 Old 11-07-2017, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
dabl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohowareyou View Post
Converting MKV atmos to m2ts atmos is a chore but can be done. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...KV#post2432963
I found using command line ffmpeg was far simpler for this targeted need. See my previous posts in this thread for caveats re: 4k files.
dabl is offline  
post #5763 of 9849 Old 11-07-2017, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
goksucats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
No, I have never experienced that issue with either my current X800 or the original one which Sony replaced. Both players have always retained all settings after each firmware or network service upgrade. What you are experiencing is not normal behavior.
Okay thanks. Now to just convince Sony of that. It does lock up quite often to where the only way I can get it to respond is to unplug it for 10 seconds or so which is a PITA behind the home theater system. I also have never been able to get Braviasync to work with my Sony TV so maybe I should focus on those two more tangible problems.

Sony XBR65X930C / Sony UBP-X800 UltraHD Blu-ray Player/ Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD / PS4 Pro / Onkyo TX-RZ830 / Paradigm CC-190/Paradigm Titan Monitor V5/Paradigm Atom Monitor V5/ Paradigm CI Home H65 In-ceiling Atmos/ JBL Studio L8400P 12-Inch Sub
goksucats is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5764 of 9849 Old 11-07-2017, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,729
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3858 Post(s)
Liked: 3087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinstripe View Post

Are there any UHD players that will play Atmos/mkv files via USB?
Oppo does, in the current firmware. USB, network too.
Pinstripe likes this.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #5765 of 9849 Old 11-07-2017, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
dabl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
We do not tolerate piracy discussion at AVS.
Hmm, then I won't bother to point you to the thread started by a well known AVS Forum Special Member where they've been discussing the related software for the specific use case I mentioned.

Meanwhile suffice it to say based on the comments at the time of writing from user's nathan_h and Hellohowareyou, neither are/were up on the latest status of this subject, and that's not meant as a jab to either
dabl is offline  
post #5766 of 9849 Old 11-07-2017, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 5,420
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 203
M2TS files work with Dolby Atmos in x800. I am using it that way.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bommai is offline  
post #5767 of 9849 Old 11-07-2017, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 14,421
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabl View Post
Hmm, then I won't bother to point you to the thread started by a well known AVS Forum Special Member where they've been discussing the related software for the specific use case I mentioned.

Meanwhile suffice it to say based on the comments at the time of writing from user's nathan_h and Hellohowareyou, neither are/were up on the latest status of this subject, and that's not meant as a jab to either
Backing up/ripping your own software is different than flat out saying you download torrent rips and you need help playing them.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
teachsac is offline  
post #5768 of 9849 Old 11-07-2017, 08:52 AM
Member
 
z71sierraslt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinstripe View Post
You mean the X800 specifically cannot play Atmos .mkv files, correct? I ask because Atmos/mkv files do exist: https://thedigitaltheater.com/index.php/dolby-trailers/

Are there any UHD players that will play Atmos/mkv files via USB?
The manual is misleading. It looks like the X800 can play mkv files via USB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x800.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	2311490  

Klipsch: RC-62 II - Center | RF-82 II - R/L Fronts | RS-52 II - R/L Surrounds | RP-140SA - R/L Back Surrounds
Yamaha: NS-IW280C - R/L Front in ceiling | NS-IW470 - R/L Back in ceiling
Receiver: Yamaha RX-A3060 | Projector: BenQ Projector HT1085ST
z71sierraslt is offline  
post #5769 of 9849 Old 11-07-2017, 08:55 AM
Member
 
ricksastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawater View Post
I am running an Epson 5040UB projector. I am using a Denon AVR-6300. I can not get the resolution 3840x2160 from 1920x1080 on the projector using the X800. I am using an LG UP970 4K blu ray player also on this set up. And I DO get the 3840x2160 resolution from the LG UP970. I have extensively gone through the Sony X800's menus. I have switched the inputs to see if that would work. I have also switched out the HDMI cables as well on the players. I have come the conclusion it is in the player. Yet I just can't get the 4K resolution from the Sony X800. Would anyone have any suggestions?
I have exactly the same equipment (5040UB, AVR-6300, X800) and have no issues getting 4k resolution from the X800->6300->5040UB path I really didn't have to set anything special in the player, so I don't know what to tell you other than I know that combo can work.
ricksastro is offline  
post #5770 of 9849 Old 11-07-2017, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 965
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by z71sierraslt View Post
The manual is misleading. It looks like the X800 can play mkv files via USB
The X800 CAN play mkv files via USB, just not a specific subset (the Dolby TrueHD/Atmos) files.
WynsWrld98 and nathan_h like this.
Hellohowareyou is offline  
post #5771 of 9849 Old 11-07-2017, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,082
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1065
Hey guys I have my UBP-800 on top of my Yamaha receiver that is only being used as the processor in my system. It gets warm to pretty warm. Is this bad for the 800? Honestly I have no idea where I'd move it to. I love where it is too, the height is perfect.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #5772 of 9849 Old 11-07-2017, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 965
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Hey guys I have my UBP-800 on top of my Yamaha receiver that is only being used as the processor in my system. It gets warm to pretty warm. Is this bad for the 800? Honestly I have no idea where I'd move it to. I love where it is too, the height is perfect.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
The warmth is most likely from the AVR. And yes, a subpar ventilation can be harmful to your AVR and the Blu-ray player. Why don't you add this to your system and locate it in between the AVR and the X800? https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-C...ds=ac+infinity
I use the T8 in my system to ventilate my AVR, and it has proven to be a great solution.
Hellohowareyou is offline  
post #5773 of 9849 Old 11-07-2017, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,082
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohowareyou View Post
The warmth is most likely from the AVR. And yes, a subpar ventilation can be harmful to your AVR and the Blu-ray player. Why don't you add this to your system and locate it in between the AVR and the X800? https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-C...ds=ac+infinity
I use the T8 in my system to ventilate my AVR, and it has proven to be a great solution.
Thanks my fear of breaking one or both components made me move it already to a very low shelf which I hate but I'd rather have components that work. It's on a shelf all by itself except for the surge protector. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #5774 of 9849 Old 11-07-2017, 03:36 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,965
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9320 Post(s)
Liked: 6003
I would never sit a device on top of an AVR.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #5775 of 9849 Old 11-07-2017, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sharp1080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 3,480
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Hey guys I have my UBP-800 on top of my Yamaha receiver that is only being used as the processor in my system. It gets warm to pretty warm. Is this bad for the 800? Honestly I have no idea where I'd move it to. I love where it is too, the height is perfect.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Don't most manuals of electronic equipment WARN YOU to not stack components? Pefect height or not I would never and never have stacked my equipment.
Sharp1080 is online now  
post #5776 of 9849 Old 11-07-2017, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,233
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6052
You can stack certain things, something on top of an AVR is not one.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
DP-UB420 / ATV4K (3) / PS Vue
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #5777 of 9849 Old 11-07-2017, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,082
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
Don't most manuals of electronic equipment WARN YOU to not stack components? Pefect height or not I would never and never have stacked my equipment.
And if you read my follow up post I already moved it. It's very low to the ground on the bottom shelf but it's nice a cool now. I feel better about the whole thing now. It's a great BD player by the way. I'm very impressed with it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #5778 of 9849 Old 11-07-2017, 03:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Pawleys Island, South Carolina
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
You can stack certain things, something on top of an AVR is not one.
Especially anything with vents. Most, if not all, AVRs are vented. The X800 chassis is solid and without vents. However the weight of an AVR might be too heavy.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
cheyennebob is offline  
post #5779 of 9849 Old 11-07-2017, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Michael9009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I was experimenting tonight with the two UHD BDs that I have: "The Magnificent Seven" and "Saussage Party" - free offer with the X800 - and comparing them with their BD counterparts, with disappointing results. My display is a Sony VPL-VW1100ES projector (nor HDR compatible).

Basically, in comparison with the BDs, the picture on the UHD BDs is either (i) washed out (i.e. too bright) if the Display Type selected in the Screen Settings is Projector, or (ii) crushing the blacks (i.e. too dark) if the Display Type selected in the Screen Settings is TV. In either case I had to go into the Options menu of the player, change the Video Settings from Direct to Custom 1 and adjust the brightness to -2 or +2, respectively, depending on the Display Type setting selected.

This is terribly annoying. Now I have to remember to switch the Video Settings from Direct to Custom 1 everytime I watch a UHD BD. And then I need to remember to switch it back to Direct for regular BD viewing.

Why did Sony have to provide the Projector and TV Display Type settings which none seems to reproduce the UHD BD images properly? How do you guys deal with this situation? Thanks.
Michael9009 is offline  
post #5780 of 9849 Old 11-08-2017, 03:05 AM
Member
 
justinhow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: London, UK
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just seen that the cost of this Sony in the US via Amazon.com is much cheaper than in the UK even allowing for all import and carrier costs.
So my question is NOT about costs but anything else I need to be aware of with importing from the US - I assume the main/only issue is warranty and mains plug?
I assume these are all multi voltage now?
Oh - I forgot about region locking and frame rate etc - damn!

Displays: JVC DLA-X7900 projector, Celexon Manual Professional Plus 108" 1.2 gain screen ; LG 55SJ810V TV
Speakers: Monitor Audio Gold 300, Gold C350, Gold FX x 4, Sub SVS 25-31 PCi cylinder
Amplifier: Denon AVR-X4400H
Sources: NVIDIA Shield TV 2017 running Kodi, Plex etc, Sky HD
justinhow is offline  
post #5781 of 9849 Old 11-08-2017, 03:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
petetherock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Back in Asia for now
Posts: 3,649
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1713 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhow View Post
Just seen that the cost of this Sony in the US via Amazon.com is much cheaper than in the UK even allowing for all import and carrier costs.
So my question is NOT about costs but anything else I need to be aware of with importing from the US - I assume the main/only issue is warranty and mains plug?
I assume these are all multi voltage now?
Oh - I forgot about region locking and frame rate etc - damn!
You will need a 110-220v convertor..
justinhow likes this.
petetherock is offline  
post #5782 of 9849 Old 11-08-2017, 04:54 AM
Senior Member
 
SLYDoggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
I was experimenting tonight with the two UHD BDs that I have: "The Magnificent Seven" and "Saussage Party" - free offer with the X800 - and comparing them with their BD counterparts, with disappointing results. My display is a Sony VPL-VW1100ES projector (nor HDR compatible).

Basically, in comparison with the BDs, the picture on the UHD BDs is either (i) washed out (i.e. too bright) if the Display Type selected in the Screen Settings is Projector, or (ii) crushing the blacks (i.e. too dark) if the Display Type selected in the Screen Settings is TV. In either case I had to go into the Options menu of the player, change the Video Settings from Direct to Custom 1 and adjust the brightness to -2 or +2, respectively, depending on the Display Type setting selected.

This is terribly annoying. Now I have to remember to switch the Video Settings from Direct to Custom 1 everytime I watch a UHD BD. And then I need to remember to switch it back to Direct for regular BD viewing.

Why did Sony have to provide the Projector and TV Display Type settings which none seems to reproduce the UHD BD images properly? How do you guys deal with this situation? Thanks.
I have the same issue and, as you know, have the same projector. I don't believe it is an issue with the PJ but rather different implementations of HDR on the various UHD discs which cause issues for the HDR to SDR conversion. I do the same thing as you when it happens... I go to the Options menu while viewing the UHD disc and tweak the settings. I sometimes have to tweak both the conversion setting as well as the Video settings. I typically find a scene which has the sky and clouds to change the setting so I get a good picture without washing out or darkening the sky.

With that said, I find such a minor difference between upscaled BluRay vs native UHD, that I don't really buy UHD discs unless it is combined with the 3D counterpart. There are only about 10 or so where both are offered in one package. Here is a link from Blu-ray.com where those are listed --> http://www.blu-ray.com/search/?quick...n=bluraymovies

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
SLYDoggie is offline  
post #5783 of 9849 Old 11-08-2017, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhow View Post
Just seen that the cost of this Sony in the US via Amazon.com is much cheaper than in the UK even allowing for all import and carrier costs.
So my question is NOT about costs but anything else I need to be aware of with importing from the US - I assume the main/only issue is warranty and mains plug?
I assume these are all multi voltage now?
Oh - I forgot about region locking and frame rate etc - damn!
As mentioned already you'll need a step down transformer. It still isnt a bad idea if you don't have a Region A Blu-ray player. Currently all 4K Discs will play on any UHD players (No region locking). I have a US X-800 and an LG Blu-ray Player for Region B discs.
justinhow likes this.

Theater:JVC RS440, Elite 120". 7.1.4:RTi8, CSi5, FXiA4, RTiA3, 620-RT(4) & SVS PB12-NSD. Denon X4300H, UPA-700, Crown XLS1502 & XLS1000(2). Sony UBP-X800, Panasonic DP-UB424, Shield & ATV 4K. Lounge:Vizio M70-D3, Benq HT1075, & Elite 106". 7.1.4:RTi12, CSi5, RTiA1, TSx110, MC60(4), & RBH I-12. Marantz AV7702, Crown XLS1500, XLS1000(2) & Amp 100v2(2). Samsung UBD-K8500, LG BP440, Shield & ATV
shyyour is online now  
post #5784 of 9849 Old 11-08-2017, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 965
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
I was experimenting tonight with the two UHD BDs that I have: "The Magnificent Seven" and "Saussage Party" - free offer with the X800 - and comparing them with their BD counterparts, with disappointing results. My display is a Sony VPL-VW1100ES projector (nor HDR compatible).

Basically, in comparison with the BDs, the picture on the UHD BDs is either (i) washed out (i.e. too bright) if the Display Type selected in the Screen Settings is Projector, or (ii) crushing the blacks (i.e. too dark) if the Display Type selected in the Screen Settings is TV. In either case I had to go into the Options menu of the player, change the Video Settings from Direct to Custom 1 and adjust the brightness to -2 or +2, respectively, depending on the Display Type setting selected.

This is terribly annoying. Now I have to remember to switch the Video Settings from Direct to Custom 1 everytime I watch a UHD BD. And then I need to remember to switch it back to Direct for regular BD viewing.

Why did Sony have to provide the Projector and TV Display Type settings which none seems to reproduce the UHD BD images properly? How do you guys deal with this situation? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
I have the same issue and, as you know, have the same projector. I don't believe it is an issue with the PJ but rather different implementations of HDR on the various UHD discs which cause issues for the HDR to SDR conversion. I do the same thing as you when it happens... I go to the Options menu while viewing the UHD disc and tweak the settings. I sometimes have to tweak both the conversion setting as well as the Video settings. I typically find a scene which has the sky and clouds to change the setting so I get a good picture without washing out or darkening the sky.

With that said, I find such a minor difference between upscaled BluRay vs native UHD, that I don't really buy UHD discs unless it is combined with the 3D counterpart. There are only about 10 or so where both are offered in one package. Here is a link from Blu-ray.com where those are listed --> http://www.blu-ray.com/search/?quick...n=bluraymovies
I don't have an SDR 4K TV or Projector, so I perhaps am not the best person to know about it. But I am guessing, in your Screen settings, you already have set the HDR setting to Off.
Plus, yes HDR implementation varies by movies; some too dark and some too washed out. So I am guessing you are using the slider under options and saving/selecting the Brightness and Contrast values.
Overall, I have found that the Projector vs TV settings to be a wash and undefined. Also, on an SDR display, I have found regular Blu-rays work the best, upscaled or not. The HDR to SDR conversions does not bear good results most of the time, well unless your display has wide colour gamut.
Hellohowareyou is offline  
post #5785 of 9849 Old 11-08-2017, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 640
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Is there any chance of this player receiving support for HDR10+ at some point, since it won't be getting Dolby Vision? I see some companies siding with HDR10+, and I woulnd't feel so bad about this player not having Dolby Vision if it turns out HDR10+ becomes more widely accepted.
jerimiah is offline  
post #5786 of 9849 Old 11-08-2017, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
Cla55clown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Arvada, Colorado (Denver area)
Posts: 714
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Thinking of jumping in. I don't have a 4K TV yet so does it play well with 1080p and downres UHD discs to SDR?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited by teachsac; 11-08-2017 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Edited Deals' talk
Cla55clown is offline  
post #5787 of 9849 Old 11-08-2017, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Michael9009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Thanks.

1. I have the HDR Setting on Auto. Would there be an improvement if I set it to Off? If set to off, would the player not apply the same conversion function to transform HDR to SDR?

2. I keep the HDR slider under Options at 3, which appears to provide the best compromise.

3. I only changed the Brightness setting under Options to -2 (for Sausage Party) and to -3 (for The Magnificent Seven).

It seems to me that HDR is another poorly implemented gimmick. I will have to stick to BDs for the time being. Oh, well!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohowareyou View Post
I don't have an SDR 4K TV or Projector, so I perhaps am not the best person to know about it. But I am guessing, in your Screen settings, you already have set the HDR setting to Off.
Plus, yes HDR implementation varies by movies; some too dark and some too washed out. So I am guessing you are using the slider under options and saving/selecting the Brightness and Contrast values.
Overall, I have found that the Projector vs TV settings to be a wash and undefined. Also, on an SDR display, I have found regular Blu-rays work the best, upscaled or not. The HDR to SDR conversions does not bear good results most of the time, well unless your display has wide colour gamut.
WynsWrld98 likes this.
Michael9009 is offline  
post #5788 of 9849 Old 11-08-2017, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cdnscg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,708
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerimiah View Post
Is there any chance of this player receiving support for HDR10+ at some point, since it won't be getting Dolby Vision? I see some companies siding with HDR10+, and I woulnd't feel so bad about this player not having Dolby Vision if it turns out HDR10+ becomes more widely accepted.
I may be nieve, however, not sure why so many think Sony will be issuing upgrades to a relatively inexpensive unit. Don't you think they would be better self-served to keep 'new' improvements for their next generation which will possibly result in additional sales.
WynsWrld98 and Hellohowareyou like this.
cdnscg is online now  
post #5789 of 9849 Old 11-08-2017, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,329
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerimiah View Post
Is there any chance of this player receiving support for HDR10+ at some point, since it won't be getting Dolby Vision? I see some companies siding with HDR10+, and I woulnd't feel so bad about this player not having Dolby Vision if it turns out HDR10+ becomes more widely accepted.
Magic 8 ball says: Not a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post
Thinking of jumping in. I don't have a 4K TV yet so does it play well with 1080p and downres UHD discs to SDR?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Some people don't like the downconversion. Your post is in the middle of such a discussion. Other people think it is quite good.

Last edited by teachsac; 11-08-2017 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Edited Deals talk in quote
nathan_h is offline  
post #5790 of 9849 Old 11-08-2017, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Michael9009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 87
In my not-too-knowledgeable opinion, it appears that most UHD BDs are upscaled from 2K DIs (Digital Intermediates), so the only minor benefit of watching the UHD BD version would be a better compression codec and fewer artifacts, but no improvement in resolution. Time will tell if the industry will get better at producing UHD BDs from true 4K or better originals.

I find having to visually ‘test’ each UHD BD film to tweak the settings in the Options menu before actually watching it - and remembering to set it back to Direct for BD viewing - very troublesome. Do you change only the Brightness setting, or the Contrast setting as well? What values do you use typically?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
I have the same issue and, as you know, have the same projector. I don't believe it is an issue with the PJ but rather different implementations of HDR on the various UHD discs which cause issues for the HDR to SDR conversion. I do the same thing as you when it happens... I go to the Options menu while viewing the UHD disc and tweak the settings. I sometimes have to tweak both the conversion setting as well as the Video settings. I typically find a scene which has the sky and clouds to change the setting so I get a good picture without washing out or darkening the sky.

With that said, I find such a minor difference between upscaled BluRay vs native UHD, that I don't really buy UHD discs unless it is combined with the 3D counterpart. There are only about 10 or so where both are offered in one package. Here is a link from Blu-ray.com where those are listed --> http://www.blu-ray.com/search/?quick...n=bluraymovies
Michael9009 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4kupscale , 5040 , dsf , Epson , problem , Sony , sony ubp-x800 , streaming music , surround decode , ubp-ux80 , ubp-x1000es , x800

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off