OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 194 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25382Likes

post #5791 of 9757 Old 11-08-2017, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
Thanks.

1. I have the HDR Setting on Auto. Would there be an improvement if I set it to Off? If set to off, would the player not apply the same conversion function to transform HDR to SDR?

2. I keep the HDR slider under Options at 3, which appears to provide the best compromise.

3. I only changed the Brightness setting under Options to -2 (for Sausage Party) and to -3 (for The Magnificent Seven).

It seems to me that HDR is another poorly implemented gimmick. I will have to stick to BDs for the time being. Oh, well!...
1. Not improvement, I don't think, but I feel it will relieve you of the headache to hit options every time the disc send your display a new HDR video, as everything coming out of the X800 will now be SDR.

HDR isn't necessarily a gimmick. It needs specific displays with brightness/contrast levels and today's devices, media productions still have a long way to go to implement HDR as a widely accepted and produced standard. Until then, there will be fumbles both by the media and display producers. And it is a typical pain for the early adopters. Except that, the standards are changing at so fast a pace now that you are always an early adopter of something

Last edited by Hellohowareyou; 11-08-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5792 of 9757 Old 11-08-2017, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 87
1. So are you saying that, if I set HDR to Off, the UHD BDs will not appear washed out anymore? If so, this would solve my problem. What do you think?

I can imagine how confused the average Joe and Mary should be about all this HDR saga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohowareyou View Post
1. Not improvement, I don't think, but I feel it will relieve you of the headache to hit options every time the disc send your display a new HDR video, as everything coming out of the X800 will now be SDR.

HDR isn't necessarily a gimmick. It needs specific displays with brightness/contrast levels and today's devices, media productions still have a long way to go to implement HDR as a widely accepted and produced standard. Until then, there will be fumbles both my media and display producers.
madmas likes this.
post #5793 of 9757 Old 11-08-2017, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
1. So are you saying that, if I set HDR to Off, the UHD BDs will not appear washed out anymore? If so, this would solve my problem. What do you think?

I can imagine how confused the average Joe and Mary should be about all this HDR saga.
All I can suggest from my vantage point is, "try my suggestion" Your situation [4K/2K no HDR] is exactly why the HDR Option [Auto/Off] is there in the Screen Settings.
nathan_h likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5794 of 9757 Old 11-08-2017, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

Michael, did you enable HDR on the TV set? Like the HDMI port settings?
post #5795 of 9757 Old 11-08-2017, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
I may be nieve, however, not sure why so many think Sony will be issuing upgrades to a relatively inexpensive unit. Don't you think they would be better self-served to keep 'new' improvements for their next generation which will possibly result in additional sales.
Because people will see that they don't offer updates to their players and will therefore buy another brand that does. This player was not inexpensive when it first came out. It was $250 just yesterday. It was $300 not too long ago. For that, yeah, I expect updates to keep it up to the latest formats when possible. If they won't offer updates, hoping to force us to buy their newest players, then people won't support their brands. People don't buy a new player every year.
post #5796 of 9757 Old 11-08-2017, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Magic 8 ball says: Not a chance.
Any reason why not, or are people just being negative? There's a physical reason why we're not getting Dolby Vision - Sony didn't include the hardware. What hardware is necessary to handle HDR10+? I thought Sony was good about offering updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Some people don't like the downconversion. Your post is in the middle of such a discussion. Other people think it is quite good.
I've read on other forums that the HDR>SDR down-conversion on this player crushes blacks big time.
post #5797 of 9757 Old 11-08-2017, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1956
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerimiah View Post
Any reason why not, or are people just being negative? There's a physical reason why we're not getting Dolby Vision - Sony didn't include the hardware. What hardware is necessary to handle HDR10+? I thought Sony was good about offering updates?
The player is nearly a year old, with no major feature updates via firmware, so it would be unlikely they will add something like a new HDR format to the existing hardware. Could it happen? I suppose anything is possible, but they seem focused on their newer devices and on Dolby Vision for future tech.

Sony is not signed up to use Samsung's HDR10+ standard for any of their other devices, nor is Sony's movie studio planning to use it. In fact, if you look at who is planning to use HDR10+, it's just the folks that don't want to use DV. Sony is in the DV camp.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1504871066

Quote:
I've read on other forums that the HDR>SDR down-conversion on this player crushes blacks big time.
I would love to see measured results.
post #5798 of 9757 Old 11-08-2017, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5928
Only Sony tv's with the X1 xtreme will get DV, just don't think the X800 has the horsepower.

I would imagine, with the tv update coming soon and being certified for DV, the 2018 CES Sony players will offer DV.
Bullwyf likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #5799 of 9757 Old 11-08-2017, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerimiah View Post
Because people will see that they don't offer updates to their players and will therefore buy another brand that does. This player was not inexpensive when it first came out. It was $250 just yesterday. It was $300 not too long ago. For that, yeah, I expect updates to keep it up to the latest formats when possible. If they won't offer updates, hoping to force us to buy their newest players, then people won't support their brands. People don't buy a new player every year.
"Relatively" being the key word. Both the Panasonic and OPPO players, at the time Sony came out, were double, near triple, the cost. You can always spend much more for the OPPO, and your expectations for upgrades may be secured.
WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #5800 of 9757 Old 11-08-2017, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
"Relatively" being the key word. Both the Panasonic and OPPO players, at the time Sony came out, were double, near triple, the cost. You can always spend much more for the OPPO, and your expectations for upgrades may be secured.
Even then, I wouldn't pin my hopes on OPPO 203 getting the HDR10+. DV upgradability was announced by OPPO when it released the 203. Being able to output through HDMI 2.0b is one thing, computational ability to undertake the HDR10+ scene by scene luminance changes is quite another.
WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #5801 of 9757 Old 11-08-2017, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anyone try this with an Epson 5030UB

OK Just bought this player today not really for the 4K picture although I do have a Sony 4K set . My main goal was to get Dolby Atmos as a lot of Blu Rays no longer include that option its now only on the 4K disc. So my plan was to buy or rent the 4K disc play Atmos DTS-X watch on the projector at 1080P . But having read a lot of the above post thinking that may not be a viable solution . I sure dont want to sacrifice picture for sound . This SUCKS ! ! !

Tom O.

post #5802 of 9757 Old 11-08-2017, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmountainman View Post
OK Just bought this player today not really for the 4K picture although I do have a Sony 4K set . My main goal was to get Dolby Atmos as a lot of Blu Rays no longer include that option its now only on the 4K disc. So my plan was to buy or rent the 4K disc play Atmos DTS-X watch on the projector at 1080P . But having read a lot of the above post thinking that may not be a viable solution . I sure dont want to sacrifice picture for sound . This SUCKS ! ! !
Since you have already bought yours, I suggest you rent/buy one or two 4K discs and try for yourself. You can always return it if you don't like the downconversion.
post #5803 of 9757 Old 11-08-2017, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked: 4643
I've had no odd picture issues when playing a 4k disc and then sending the signal to my lowly Benq ht2050. In fact, the picture looks pretty darn great!
Keep on direct, still tv mode.
cdnscg likes this.
post #5804 of 9757 Old 11-08-2017, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Sony UBP-X800 Surround Sound Problems

Honestly, I am having a terrible time here. For some reason I can only play the source audio of blurays and 4ks. I was hoping to be able to still play around and switch between Pro Logic, Neo 6, or even stereo. I cant even play blurays on straight if I please, so no stereo for me I guess. What setting am I missing here in the audio settings to allow me to have control of the surround decode? Everything is True Dolby HD or whatever is on the disc, and some things just dont sound great to me.

I do have 2 hdmi going out. One to TV, and one to reciever for audio only. I even bought a new reciever that I could use just 1 HDMI for it all, and this was still a problem.

I just want to be able to switch surround decodes again. What settings should it be to do this?
post #5805 of 9757 Old 11-08-2017, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonmight View Post
Honestly, I am having a terrible time here. For some reason I can only play the source audio of blurays and 4ks. I was hoping to be able to still play around and switch between Pro Logic, Neo 6, or even stereo. I cant even play blurays on straight if I please, so no stereo for me I guess. What setting am I missing here in the audio settings to allow me to have control of the surround decode? Everything is True Dolby HD or whatever is on the disc, and some things just dont sound great to me.

I do have 2 hdmi going out. One to TV, and one to reciever for audio only. I even bought a new reciever that I could use just 1 HDMI for it all, and this was still a problem.

I just want to be able to switch surround decodes again. What settings should it be to do this?

The player plays whatever is on the disc. The receiver will decide what to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #5806 of 9757 Old 11-08-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
The player plays whatever is on the disc. The receiver will decide what to do with it.

On my other Sony bluray player, I could play a bluray and while it was playing I could choose what surround decode I wanted to listen to. Pro Logic, PLII Movie, Neo 6 Cinema, ANY preset on the reciever, including the music ones and plain stereo.

When I try to change this with the new player, it just defaults to whatever the disc is. Discs say they are playing in 7.1, but I only have 5.1, and I feel like I am missing sound.
post #5807 of 9757 Old 11-08-2017, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 203
What receiver do you have? Certain receivers cannot do anything with lossless codecs other than just play them. But most can down Rez to stereo.

post #5808 of 9757 Old 11-08-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
What receiver do you have? Certain receivers cannot do anything with lossless codecs other than just play them. But most can down Rez to stereo.

yamaha rx-v377
post #5809 of 9757 Old 11-09-2017, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
yamaha rx-v377
Might want to pony up and get a better receiver...just saying. Also, what is the audio output on the blu ray set to?
post #5810 of 9757 Old 11-09-2017, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1956
Quote:
yamaha rx-v377
That's a fine receiver.

The issue is probably the settings in the Sony x800. If you are sending out PCM, try sending bitstream. If you are sending bitstream, try sending PCM. (The latter is less likely to help than the former, but it's worth trying both and then any other output options. And turning off "secondary audio" in the Sony.)
post #5811 of 9757 Old 11-09-2017, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I did turn the HDR Option off but it made no difference whatsoever. I think on Auto the player will or will not convert HDR to SDR depending on the display. On Auto the player will always convert HDR to SDR, regardless of the display’s capabilities. But otherwise the conversion from HDR to SDR uses the same algorithm, irrespective of the HDR Option setting.

At least, hitting Display when the HDR Option is set to Auto will tell me whether the UHD BD being played was encoded with HDR (HDR > SDR).

I wonder if there are other players on the market currently which can perform the HDR to SDR conversion properly...

Quote:
All I can suggest from my vantage point is, "try my suggestion" Your situation [4K/2K no HDR] is exactly why the HDR Option [Auto/Off] is there in the Screen Settings.
post #5812 of 9757 Old 11-09-2017, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

No. I’ve got a projector, Sony VPL-VW1100ES, which has no HDR capabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAlam View Post
Michael, did you enable HDR on the TV set? Like the HDMI port settings?
post #5813 of 9757 Old 11-09-2017, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I did turn the HDR Option off but it made no difference whatsoever. I think on Auto the player will or will not convert HDR to SDR depending on the display. On Auto the player will always convert HDR to SDR, regardless of the display’s capabilities. But otherwise the conversion from HDR to SDR uses the same algorithm, irrespective of the HDR Option setting.

At least, hitting Display when the HDR Option is set to Auto will tell me whether the UHD BD being played was encoded with HDR (HDR > SDR).

I wonder if there are other players on the market currently which can perform the HDR to SDR conversion properly...
OPPO is better I am told. Panasonic is supposed to be the best provided your TV has wide colour gamut, but then too you will have to buy a separate HDFURY Integral/Vertex device,
post #5814 of 9757 Old 11-09-2017, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, Oppo is too expensive and I’m not going to spend that much money on a Chinese company product. Also, I need a region-free player which my Sony X800 is.

My ‘TV’ is a PJ which has DCI. I am not sure if this colour gamut could or should be used with the X800 and UHD BDs. Any suggestions?...

In the meantime, given that the vast majority of the UHD BDs are low quality action or Sci-Fi films, or other types of movies which are not my kind, I shall stick with the two UHD BDs I received for free with the player (The Magnificent Seven and Sausage Party) and try to live with the hassle and annoyance of the Options menu. And I will keep buying BDs until the UHD BD selection becomes more attractive to me...

Quote:
OPPO is better I am told. Panasonic is supposed to be the best provided your TV has wide colour gamut, but then too you will have to buy a separate HDFURY Integral/Vertex device,
post #5815 of 9757 Old 11-09-2017, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, Oppo is too expensive and I’m not going to spend that much money on a Chinese company product. Also, I need a region-free player which my Sony X800 is.

My ‘TV’ is a PJ which has DCI. I am not sure if this colour gamut could or should be used with the X800 and UHD BDs. Any suggestions?...

In the meantime, given that the vast majority of the UHD BDs are low quality action or Sci-Fi films, or other types of movies which are not my kind, I shall stick with the two UHD BDs I received for free with the player (The Magnificent Seven and Sausage Party) and try to live with the hassle and annoyance of the Options menu. And I will keep buying BDs until the UHD BD selection becomes more attractive to me...
How did you get the X800 to be region free?
post #5816 of 9757 Old 11-09-2017, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 2051
Quote:
How did you get the X800 to be region free?

You buy them from a third party on Amazon, 220-electronics, etc. There is a region free thread.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #5817 of 9757 Old 11-09-2017, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
You buy them from a third party on Amazon, 220-electronics, etc. There is a region free thread.
I see. I thought there might be some way to change an existing region locked unit yourself.
post #5818 of 9757 Old 11-09-2017, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Christ. My X800 just crapped out while playing Pacific Rim. I had to turn it off and on again. Black screen. First time ever. It's only months old.
post #5819 of 9757 Old 11-09-2017, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My X800 froze up and turned off last night while watching The Night of the Hunter (1955). I think I've had it for just over a month now.

Denon AVR-X6300H, LG OLED55B7A, Sony UPB-X1100ES, Oppo BDP-103, Tivo Roamio OTA, Panasonic DMR-ES46V, Proscan PSLD-43, Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB
Klipsch R-820f fronts, C-2 center, R-620 surrounds and F-2 back, Quintet V for Atmos, Monoprice Monolith 10", Velodyne VRP-10
post #5820 of 9757 Old 11-09-2017, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonok View Post
My X800 froze up and turned off last night while watching The Night of the Hunter (1955). I think I've had it for just over a month now.
How long is that Ed Sullivan show excerpt? I may want to buy this during the 50% off sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4kupscale , 5040 , dsf , Epson , problem , Sony , sony ubp-x800 , streaming music , surround decode , ubp-ux80 , ubp-x1000es , x800

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page