OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 195 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25396Likes

post #5821 of 9849 Old 11-09-2017, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjdflsdfsdf View Post
How long is that Ed Sullivan show excerpt? I may want to buy this during the 50% off sale.
I think it was about 5 minutes long. I rented it from Netflix so, I can't check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5822 of 9849 Old 11-09-2017, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Planning on picking this up today or tomorrow. Since I don't have a 4K receiver yet, I'm planning on using one HDMI out to my TV and the other to my Onkyo 806 receiver. Is this what most folks are doing (in the same situation)? Any tips? Thanks!

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
post #5823 of 9849 Old 11-09-2017, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just use one HDMI out into the TV and don't use a receiver. I use the line-out from the TV to send audio into an Audio Source AD3002. I have a 2 channel setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5824 of 9849 Old 11-09-2017, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
I did turn the HDR Option off but it made no difference whatsoever. I think on Auto the player will or will not convert HDR to SDR depending on the display. On Auto the player will always convert HDR to SDR, regardless of the display’s capabilities. But otherwise the conversion from HDR to SDR uses the same algorithm, irrespective of the HDR Option setting.

At least, hitting Display when the HDR Option is set to Auto will tell me whether the UHD BD being played was encoded with HDR (HDR > SDR).

I wonder if there are other players on the market currently which can perform the HDR to SDR conversion properly...
Michael, I had the Samsung K8500 and I found the conversion on it to be inferior to the Sony plus you really don't have the ability to "tweak" any conversion settings. At least the Sony gives you the ability to override some of the differences we are encountering on the various UHD discs.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
post #5825 of 9849 Old 11-09-2017, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
Planning on picking this up today or tomorrow. Since I don't have a 4K receiver yet, I'm planning on using one HDMI out to my TV and the other to my Onkyo 806 receiver. Is this what most folks are doing (in the same situation)? Any tips? Thanks!
Haven't done it myself, but that's the recommended approach with an AVR that accepts an HDMI input but can't do 4k pass-through. (My old receiver was a stereo HK one, with no HDMI inputs. I used an optical output from the TV.)

The main down side to that is not being able to see AVR menus on the TV when watching video from the player.
post #5826 of 9849 Old 11-09-2017, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjdflsdfsdf View Post
I just use one HDMI out into the TV and don't use a receiver. I use the line-out from the TV to send audio into an Audio Source AD3002. I have a 2 channel setup.
This was my plan (or using the digital coax) till I saw today that it had a second HDMI out. So, when you loop it back from the TV to the receiver, say HDMI out, would it still carry the lossless sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Haven't done it myself, but that's the recommended approach with an AVR that accepts an HDMI input but can't do 4k pass-through. (My old receiver was a stereo HK one, with no HDMI inputs. I used an optical output from the TV.)

The main down side to that is not being able to see AVR menus on the TV when watching video from the player.
Cool, thanks! My main concern would be sync issues, but I guess I can always adjust that on my receiver.

post #5827 of 9849 Old 11-09-2017, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:

Yes that is precisely how it works. Make sure you use hdmi 1 for video and hdmi 2 for audio. The hdmi 2 is covered up you have to peel off sticker then you may have to configure it in settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
deltasun and yanks1 like this.
post #5828 of 9849 Old 11-09-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
In my not-too-knowledgeable opinion, it appears that most UHD BDs are upscaled from 2K DIs (Digital Intermediates), so the only minor benefit of watching the UHD BD version would be a better compression codec and fewer artifacts, but no improvement in resolution. Time will tell if the industry will get better at producing UHD BDs from true 4K or better originals.

I find having to visually ‘test’ each UHD BD film to tweak the settings in the Options menu before actually watching it - and remembering to set it back to Direct for BD viewing - very troublesome. Do you change only the Brightness setting, or the Contrast setting as well? What values do you use typically?
On the "Video Settings" using the "Options" button, I use the "Custom 1" option and have Contrast at -1 and Brightness at -2. This will most likely vary based on individual viewing preferences as well as Calibration of the Projector. In my case, I have my PJ calibrated with the latest Spears & Munsell calibration Blu-Ray although it is a 1080p calibration. I haven't really looked but I'm not aware of a UHD Calibration disc.

Since the Sony 1100 projector doesn't have HDR, on the "HDR Conversion" setting using the "Options" button, I find that the setting varies by title. I did a sampling of a few titles across Sony, Lionsgate, and Universal and here are my preferences:

Fifth Element: 2
Shallows: 4 or 5 (anything lower causes the wave crests to bloom badly)
Oblivion: 3
Hacksaw Ridge: 2
Angry Birds: 2 or 3

Of the above, Angry Birds is the one that seems to give me the most issues. I have tweaked and tweaked but can't get the UHD disc anywhere close to the vivid picture I have on the 1080p Blu-Ray. The UHD version just seems washed out. I haven't seen it on a HDR capable TV or Projector so I don't know how the UHD would compare to the HD in that case.
Hellohowareyou likes this.

Regards, Steve
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
post #5829 of 9849 Old 11-09-2017, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonok View Post
My X800 froze up and turned off last night while watching The Night of the Hunter (1955). I think I've had it for just over a month now.
This is massively unacceptable. I'm pretty pissed.
post #5830 of 9849 Old 11-09-2017, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay, picked this up today and got it hooked up with the above description - Video through HDMI 1 to my TV, Audio through HDMI 2 to my Onkyo 806 receiver. I'm having issues with the audio. If I skip to the next chapter, it'll play audio for a second or two and then go silent. The display on my Onkyo would show the codec briefly while I can hear the sound, but then show something else when it's not picking up the audio signal anymore. I skip to another chapter and again, I hear sound for a second or two and then nothing.

I tried both PCM and Auto on the Sony audio settings and I get the same behavior. I've done the latest system update, etc. Anybody else have this issue or can maybe point me to what may be causing this.

Incidentally, when I first got it set up and was ready to try out a BD, the tray didn't want to open. I pressed the eject button from the player and no response. I tried it from the remote and no response. I then powered the unit off and clicked on the eject button and it finally opened. I then inserted a blu-ray and neither the remote nor the button on the player wouldn't close the tray. I had to give it a gentle push.

Not sure if I have a buggy player, but this is getting frustrating. Hoping you guys have some ideas for me.

post #5831 of 9849 Old 11-09-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Okay, picked this up today and got it hooked up with the above description - Video through HDMI 1 to my TV, Audio through HDMI 2 to my Onkyo 806 receiver. I'm having issues with the audio. If I skip to the next chapter, it'll play audio for a second or two and then go silent. The display on my Onkyo would show the codec briefly while I can hear the sound, but then show something else when it's not picking up the audio signal anymore. I skip to another chapter and again, I hear sound for a second or two and then nothing.

I tried both PCM and Auto on the Sony audio settings and I get the same behavior. I've done the latest system update, etc. Anybody else have this issue or can maybe point me to what may be causing this.

Incidentally, when I first got it set up and was ready to try out a BD, the tray didn't want to open. I pressed the eject button from the player and no response. I tried it from the remote and no response. I then powered the unit off and clicked on the eject button and it finally opened. I then inserted a blu-ray and neither the remote nor the button on the player wouldn't close the tray. I had to give it a gentle push.

Not sure if I have a buggy player, but this is getting frustrating. Hoping you guys have some ideas for me.
The only thing which might cause a delay in the remote Open/Close button working is if the system isn't fully booted but that doesn't seem like it was the case.

Regards, Steve
post #5832 of 9849 Old 11-09-2017, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay, stop the presses, looks like I figured it out. Looks like an Onkyo (or could be my model) thing. Somehow, because I still have an HDMI cable going from the Onkyo to the TV (used for my previousSony S6500 setup), the lack of video was causing the audio to drop out as well. Once I unplugged this HDMI cable from the TV, the audio started working. I guess, the Onkyo detects that channel it's sending its video is not selected on my TV. That's odd to me, but maybe there's an explanation why the Onkyo cares.

Anyway, (and I'm just detailing it here in case someone else runs into this situation) here's my setup:
  • Sony S6500 HDMI Out to Onkyo HDMI 1 In
  • Sony X800 HDMI 2 Out to Onkyo HDMI 2 In.
  • Sony X800 HDMI 1 Out to TV HDMI 4 In
  • Onkyo HDMI Out to TV HDMI 1 In

With my Sony S6500 not on and/or unplugged from the Onkyo, and a BD playing in my Sony X800...

Scenario 1
Onkyo set to HDMI 2, TV set to HDMI 4
Result: Sony X800 Video showing on TV, but no audio from Onkyo

Scenario 2
Onkyo set to HDMI 2, TV set to HDMI 1
Result: No video on TV (though the Sony X800 is indicating that there is no video through its HDMI 2 Out), but audio starts playing on Onkyo

post #5833 of 9849 Old 11-09-2017, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
The only thing which might cause a delay in the remote Open/Close button working is if the system isn't fully booted but that doesn't seem like it was the case.
It had been on a while and going through the system update, which had completed for a while already when I tried to open the tray. So, pretty sure it wasn't booting anymore. At this point, seems like an anomaly but there like 50% of me who wants to exchange this for another. Seems they were kinda in disarray at Best Buy and there's some indication (scuff marks on the box, etc.) that this box may have been dropped. I'll decide in the next few days, depending on how it behaves.

post #5834 of 9849 Old 11-10-2017, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
what program can I use to convert MKV movies to M2TS and keep Dolby Atmos audio to watch on BD player?
post #5835 of 9849 Old 11-10-2017, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
On the "Video Settings" using the "Options" button, I use the "Custom 1" option and have Contrast at -1 and Brightness at -2. This will most likely vary based on individual viewing preferences as well as Calibration of the Projector. In my case, I have my PJ calibrated with the latest Spears & Munsell calibration Blu-Ray although it is a 1080p calibration. I haven't really looked but I'm not aware of a UHD Calibration disc.

Since the Sony 1100 projector doesn't have HDR, on the "HDR Conversion" setting using the "Options" button, I find that the setting varies by title. I did a sampling of a few titles across Sony, Lionsgate, and Universal and here are my preferences:

Of the above, Angry Birds is the one that seems to give me the most issues. I have tweaked and tweaked but can't get the UHD disc anywhere close to the vivid picture I have on the 1080p Blu-Ray. The UHD version just seems washed out. I haven't seen it on a HDR capable TV or Projector so I don't know how the UHD would compare to the HD in that case.
I assume with the above settings you have the X800 display type set to PJ not TV
post #5836 of 9849 Old 11-10-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
I assume with the above settings you have the X800 display type set to PJ not TV
Yes, I have the X800 set to "PJ" for the display type. I haven't really played with this setting but maybe I should.

Regards, Steve
post #5837 of 9849 Old 11-10-2017, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible to turn off HDR on this blu ray player ? (could not find a clear answer after my research).

I have a sony xbr65x850c TV. It is HDR capable, but not HDR certificed. And i think HDR look horrible on it (only HDR i've seen is from netflix).

I would like to have a 4k blu ray player, to enjoy movies in 4k, but i don't want the HDR.

-So, is it possible to turn off HDR on the sony x800 ?
-Will the 4k blu ray movies look good in 4k with HDR off ? Or are they made to be watched in HDR and would look ugly without HDR ?

thx
post #5838 of 9849 Old 11-10-2017, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindhouse554 View Post
Is it possible to turn off HDR on this blu ray player ? (could not find a clear answer after my research).

I have a sony xbr65x850c TV. It is HDR capable, but not HDR certificed. And i think HDR look horrible on it (only HDR i've seen is from netflix).

I would like to have a 4k blu ray player, to enjoy movies in 4k, but i don't want the HDR.

-Will the 4k blu ray movies look good in 4k with HDR off ? Or are they made to be watched in HDR and would look ugly without HDR ?

thx
Yes, should be in the View Settings. Can't remember the exact wording, but the options are Auto or Off. You can set it to Off.

post #5839 of 9849 Old 11-10-2017, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I have the X800 set to "PJ" for the display type. I haven't really played with this setting but maybe I should.
For my Sony 300ES pj, changing the display settings to tv makes a big difference. Its much less bright, but is then a little too dark.
post #5840 of 9849 Old 11-10-2017, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

thx
If your tv already does a good job upscaling to 4K, not sure if you will notice a difference with just 4K/no HDR on.
post #5841 of 9849 Old 11-10-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
If your tv already does a good job upscaling to 4K, not sure if you will notice a difference with just 4K/no HDR on.
I don't know. Regular blu-ray discs do look very good on my TV. I thought a 4k blu ray discs would look even sharper (even if HDR is off).

For exemple, Narcos 4k on netflix look better than any movie i own in 1080p blu ray.
post #5842 of 9849 Old 11-10-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Yes, should be in the View Settings. Can't remember the exact wording, but the options are Auto or Off. You can set it to Off.
thank you.
post #5843 of 9849 Old 11-10-2017, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
What are the differences between this and the Samsung UBD-7500? Those two seem to be two of the best deals on Black Friday and I am considering both. Also looking at the LG UP875 but thinking that might be a bit too barebones for me.
post #5844 of 9849 Old 11-10-2017, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know. Regular blu-ray discs do look very good on my TV. I thought a 4k blu ray discs would look even sharper (even if HDR is off).

For exemple, Narcos 4k on netflix look better than any movie i own in 1080p blu ray.
I guess the only way to find out is to try a disc. I noticed an uptick in color for the UHD of Life, but for some scenes there was more 'noise' than the blu-ray version. My pj is 4K non-HDR.
post #5845 of 9849 Old 11-10-2017, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Upgrade in projector future, but couldn't pass the Sony up at the sale price. Will this work in the mean time with the following:

Sony 800
Marantz SR5007
Panasonic PT-AX200 projector

Yes, I know I won't be getting 4k.
Thx for any help.
post #5846 of 9849 Old 11-10-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:

I played around with changing the display setting from "Projector" to "TV" and actually like the TV setting better for playing UHD discs. I appears to make regular BluRay discs a little too dark so I don't know if I would bother in changing it back & forth when playing UHD discs. Since my projector was calibrated with the "Projector" display setting, I think that I would have to go back through calibration if I wanted to always keep it at the "TV" setting.
WynsWrld98 likes this.

Regards, Steve
post #5847 of 9849 Old 11-10-2017, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by meelk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonok View Post
My X800 froze up and turned off last night while watching The Night of the Hunter (1955). I think I've had it for just over a month now.
This is massively unacceptable. I'm pretty pissed.
Mine does this every now and then. Completely unacceptable. It froze midway through Blade Runner and Starship Troopers.
post #5848 of 9849 Old 11-10-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikester1 View Post
What are the differences between this and the Samsung UBD-7500? Those two seem to be two of the best deals on Black Friday and I am considering both. Also looking at the LG UP875 but thinking that might be a bit too barebones for me.
I'm not familiar with a Samsung UBD-7500 BluRay. Are you talking about the UBD-K8500 Samsung 4K BluRay?

Regards, Steve
post #5849 of 9849 Old 11-10-2017, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by tondeezy99 View Post
Mine does this every now and then. Completely unacceptable. It froze midway through Blade Runner and Starship Troopers.
There is a link in here to Sony chat to report things like this. The more people that report it will probably get them to take the freezes seriously.
post #5850 of 9849 Old 11-10-2017, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:
I played around with changing the display setting from "Projector" to "TV" and actually like the TV setting better for playing UHD discs. I appears to make regular BluRay discs a little too dark so I don't know if I would bother in changing it back & forth when playing UHD discs. Since my projector was calibrated with the "Projector" display setting, I think that I would have to go back through calibration if I wanted to always keep it at the "TV" setting.
Assuming what you want from the disc player is the content on the disc without meddling, leave the sony set on "TV" for display type. It passes the signal through "as is". This is usually what you want not matter whether your display is a projector or flat panel etc.

(I don't know what you mean by calibration. If you mean a setup disk for SDR video to set contrast (white level) and brightness (black level) then you do want to use that setup disk in the same mode in which you are watching things.)
WynsWrld98 and Davemusic like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4kupscale , 5040 , dsf , Epson , problem , Sony , sony ubp-x800 , streaming music , surround decode , ubp-ux80 , ubp-x1000es , x800

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page