OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 196 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25382Likes

post #5851 of 9755 Old 11-10-2017, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello, I'm cross-posting this and I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere on here already but I haven't found much.....So my question is if you have an LG Oled and you use the Tv to do your upscaling, what is the advantage of the Oppo 203 vs the Sony? I know the Oppo has Dolby Vision, but is that really worth 3-4 times as much? Especially when there isn't much DV content available right now, plus the Sony could get a firmware update and I'm sure there will be plenty more 4K players to chose from next year with DV. I guess I don't see why you would spend so much more for the Oppo when you could use the Sony in the exact same way (figuring you use Direct Source mode and let the LG Oled do the upscaling)? They both would be 4K blu-ray players and do the exact same thing. Am I missing something here? Thanks!

Last edited by teachsac; 11-10-2017 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Edited pricing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 9755 Old 11-10-2017, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 42
for people playing files on the Sony 800

I have noticed: when you start playing any file, the name of the file, etc shows and stays for like 10 seconds, which I don't want since sometimes I play files that may only be 30 seconds

any way to stop this from happening ? I would rather press the display button when wanting to see the file info myself

also, when I press display when viewing a video file, whether it is a 1080 or 720 or even a 4K file playing in 1080 the info shows 1080/60 regardless

I have tried Auto Resolution and also Original, the display button should have shown 720 for the 720 file, 1080 for the 1080, etc at the top of the screen

have others noticed this ?
post #5853 of 9755 Old 11-10-2017, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Picked this up on amazon this week. It's the beginning of my foray from 1080p to 4k. I'm already SUPER pumped using it. I'm finally able to bitstream the HD audio again. My old blu ray player, especially on blu rays with atmos, would have major audio dropouts so I had to switch it to pcm. No issues with that here. I'm currently running it to a onkyo 705 and a samsung dlp. Going to replace those with an onkyo 676 and a 75 inch sony 900e.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5854 of 9755 Old 11-10-2017, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
I'm not familiar with a Samsung UBD-7500 BluRay. Are you talking about the UBD-K8500 Samsung 4K BluRay?
Nope, the 7500. It is one of the cheaper 4k players on Black Friday.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...rice-talk.html
zarquon27 likes this.
post #5855 of 9755 Old 11-10-2017, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Yeah, I’ve heard about Samsung player’s problems. That’s why I waited for this Sony. Initial reviews for the X800 were stellar. Apparently, the player is far from perfect but likely one of the best, if not the best, on the market currently.

Quote:
Michael, I had the Samsung K8500 and I found the conversion on it to be inferior to the Sony plus you really don't have the ability to "tweak" any conversion settings. At least the Sony gives you the ability to override some of the differences we are encountering on the various UHD discs.
post #5856 of 9755 Old 11-10-2017, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Man-o-man! That’s quite a bit of a hassle.

For the two films that I have - The Magnificent Seven and Sausage Party - I will use Brightness at -2 under the Options menu. I also have Planet Earth II, but I have not experimented with this one yet.

I am not going to buy any additional UHD BDs not only because of the poor HDR > SDR conversion, but mainly because most that came out on the format are not the type of movies that I like.

Thanks for your insight into this matter.

Quote:
On the "Video Settings" using the "Options" button, I use the "Custom 1" option and have Contrast at -1 and Brightness at -2. This will most likely vary based on individual viewing preferences as well as Calibration of the Projector. In my case, I have my PJ calibrated with the latest Spears & Munsell calibration Blu-Ray although it is a 1080p calibration. I haven't really looked but I'm not aware of a UHD Calibration disc.

Since the Sony 1100 projector doesn't have HDR, on the "HDR Conversion" setting using the "Options" button, I find that the setting varies by title. I did a sampling of a few titles across Sony, Lionsgate, and Universal and here are my preferences:

Fifth Element: 2
Shallows: 4 or 5 (anything lower causes the wave crests to bloom badly)
Oblivion: 3
Hacksaw Ridge: 2
Angry Birds: 2 or 3

Of the above, Angry Birds is the one that seems to give me the most issues. I have tweaked and tweaked but can't get the UHD disc anywhere close to the vivid picture I have on the 1080p Blu-Ray. The UHD version just seems washed out. I haven't seen it on a HDR capable TV or Projector so I don't know how the UHD would compare to the HD in that case.
post #5857 of 9755 Old 11-11-2017, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I returned the LG UP970 due to how loud the motor was. I got the x800 as an early Christmas present from my wife. I was impressed at the sheer weight difference (8 pounds vs 3 pounds). Excited to see how this performs!
aaronwt likes this.

Kef Q600c, Q900, Q15, DIYSG Volt6 LX Atmos Heights | Yamaha Aventage RX-A2050 | Adcom GFA-7500 | Ultimax 18 | Inuke 3000dsp
post #5858 of 9755 Old 11-11-2017, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
Man-o-man! That’s quite a bit of a hassle.

For the two films that I have - The Magnificent Seven and Sausage Party - I will use Brightness at -2 under the Options menu. I also have Planet Earth II, but I have not experimented with this one yet.

I am not going to buy any additional UHD BDs not only because of the poor HDR > SDR conversion, but mainly because most that came out on the format are not the type of movies that I like.

Thanks for your insight into this matter.
Plus UHD discs are $10 (CAD) more than BR's
post #5859 of 9755 Old 11-11-2017, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2545 Post(s)
Liked: 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post
There is a link in here to Sony chat to report things like this. The more people that report it will probably get them to take the freezes seriously.
Doing my part.....

I have had some random, intermittent disc freeze ups and massive pixelation issues. Long story short, Sony is gong to replace my unit.

FWIW, it has only ever happened on 4K discs. I do not have a 4K display so the player is down converting to 2K/SDR. I have played numerous normal BR and DVD's with no issues, but the two times I have had problems it has been with 4K discs.

My 1st freeze was 4k Bladerunner. On a second viewing it played through w/o issue. The 2nd was the new Westward Series 1 set. EP1 and EP2 played fine, but EP3 (all on the same disc) went into severe pixelation, then the picture resumed w/o audio. I backed up and was able to play through w/o issue. The discs are as pristine as they can be.

I had logged a case with Sony in October after the BR issue, and it was fine after doing the normal power down, player reset, FW update, blah, blah, blah stuff. Until yesterday, that is. Unfortunately I am 2 weeks beyond my Crutchfields return window, so Sony support was my only option. They are sending a shipping label for the old unit after high they said they are sending a brand new unit.

Fingers crossed that they have had enough of these come back that the new units fix whatever it is that seems to be giving users fits.

#JB17
post #5860 of 9755 Old 11-11-2017, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi All,

I have an issue with the UBP-X800, the Sony VW600es, 18GB cables and x.v. colour.

As of two days ago, my setup ran through a Yamaha RX-V675 (hdmi v1.4) with a Monoprice 40ft Cabernet cable rated at 10GB/s.
The 4K player played the content and it looked fantastic except that when I clicked info/display on the 4k player remote, it showed that it was outputting in 1080p.

I switched the receiver and the cables to complete a HDMI 2.0 and 18GB chain. I now have the Yamaha RX-A670. Wow, the sound quality jump was incredible. However, the video looked worse. The display showed that it was indeed now outputting in 4K/24p but it looked radically less detailed. After playing with the settings, I noticed that the quality matched my old setup when I turned OFF x.v. colour on the projector.

So in essence, by reducing my settings, I matched the quality I was getting with HDMI 1.4 and 10Gb cables. Which looked incredible. I can't imagine my setup looking better than this. What on earth is wrong?

How does switching to HDMI 2.0 on all devices, and upgrading to monoprices installer grade active 40ft 18GB cable require me to turn off X.V colour which supposedly increases the number of available colours considerably?
post #5861 of 9755 Old 11-11-2017, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwoarang View Post
Hi All,

I have an issue with the UBP-X800, the Sony VW600es, 18GB cables and x.v. colour.

As of two days ago, my setup ran through a Yamaha RX-V675 (hdmi v1.4) with a Monoprice 40ft Cabernet cable rated at 10GB/s.
The 4K player played the content and it looked fantastic except that when I clicked info/display on the 4k player remote, it showed that it was outputting in 1080p.

I switched the receiver and the cables to complete a HDMI 2.0 and 18GB chain. I now have the Yamaha RX-A670. Wow, the sound quality jump was incredible. However, the video looked worse. The display showed that it was indeed now outputting in 4K/24p but it looked radically less detailed. After playing with the settings, I noticed that the quality matched my old setup when I turned OFF x.v. colour on the projector.

So in essence, by reducing my settings, I matched the quality I was getting with HDMI 1.4 and 10Gb cables. Which looked incredible. I can't imagine my setup looking better than this. What on earth is wrong?

How does switching to HDMI 2.0 on all devices, and upgrading to monoprices installer grade active 40ft 18GB cable require me to turn off X.V colour which supposedly increases the number of available colours considerably?
Did you go into the Yamaha's advanced menu and change 4K output to Mode 1?

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #5862 of 9755 Old 11-11-2017, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Did you go into the Yamaha's advanced menu and change 4K output to Mode 1?
I do not see that option on The Aventage RX-A670. They have simplified the menu so it's not layers deep as before...

Note that the problem arises when switching between a 10GB and 18GB cable with the same setup and settings. With the 18GB cable, x.v. colour has to be turned off on the projector to get the same picture quality as the 10GB cable. There is no picture improvement with the 18GB, even though the 4k player stated that only 1080p was being outputting with the Yamaha RX-V675 hdmi's 1.4 port.

The 4K players states 4k/24p with either cable now that the receiver is HDMI 2.0. The only different being I have to shockingly disable x.v. colour on the 18GB cable???

Last edited by hwoarang; 11-11-2017 at 10:41 AM.
post #5863 of 9755 Old 11-11-2017, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwoarang View Post
I do not see that option on The Aventage RX-A670. They have simplified the menu so it's not layers deep as before...

Note that the problem arises when switching between a 10GB and 18GB cable with the same setup and settings. With the 18GB cable, x.v. colour has to be turned off on the projector to get the same picture quality as the 10GB cable. There is no picture improvement with the 18GB, even though the 4k player stated that only 1080p was being outputting with the Yamaha RX-V675 hdmi's 1.4 port.

The 4K players states 4k/24p with either cable now that the receiver is HDMI 2.0. The only different being I have to shockingly disable x.v. colour on the 18GB cable???
Advanced Setup Menu is still there. Pg. 112-113 of the OM.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #5864 of 9755 Old 11-11-2017, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 63
quick question guys as i just ordered this but does this come with an HDMI cable? i've been checking the info and don't see whether a HDMI cable is supplied or not? i went back a few pages and did not see anyone ask. appreciate it!

Pioneer VSX-1121-K ~ Sony UBP-X800 4K ~ Emptek E55ti ~ E56ci ~ E55wi ~ R5bi ~ 2x Klipsch Sub-12HG Synergy Series ~ Vizio xled 70" class 4k
post #5865 of 9755 Old 11-11-2017, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
quick question guys as i just ordered this but does this come with an HDMI cable? i've been checking the info and don't see whether a HDMI cable is supplied or not? i went back a few pages and did not see anyone ask. appreciate it!
No HDMI cable, I have a hundred so it didn't matter but no, mine didn't at least. From what I understand also if your gonna do 4k you need a high speed HDMI cable. I'm not doing 4k just yet, very soon though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #5866 of 9755 Old 11-11-2017, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
The Costco version UBP-UX80 includes an HDMI cable. The regular UBP-X800 does not include HDMI cable.
post #5867 of 9755 Old 11-12-2017, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I started watching Stanger Things on netflix on my X800 but not getting it in HDR? Other shows come in HDR but not Stranger Things.
post #5868 of 9755 Old 11-12-2017, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzs22 View Post
I started watching Stanger Things on netflix on my X800 but not getting it in HDR? Other shows come in HDR but not Stranger Things.

Only season 2 is HDR.
post #5869 of 9755 Old 11-12-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaius View Post
Only season 2 is HDR.
It comes in HDR on my Xbox and Roku
post #5870 of 9755 Old 11-12-2017, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
We purchased this unit recently and so far it's been working well except for a niggling, somewhat irritating issue.

Our setup consists of a Vizio M60-C3 (2015 4k), a Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH - utilizing an outboard amplifier for the front 2 channels while only using a complement of 4.1 channels in toto, and of course the subject of this thread.

I have HDMI 1 going to the HDMI 5 input of the M60 which is the highest rated input of [email protected] Previously I had everything going into HDMI 1, but that's not possible with this machine as the receiver is only HDMI rev 1.4 so of course the audio output only from the player is going to the receiver.

The receiver itself is a new addition to our home and I had to rouse myself to get the firmware updated on it once it became clear that high resolution audio from BDs was being decoded in some wonky fashion (vocals from the Wonder Woman BD coming from the real left surround for example - and I believe one disc sent the subwoofer output to the rear right channel which blew the woofer on that speaker!) Once that rather intimidating proposition (updating the firmware(s) of this unit consists of a tripartite task which includes burning a .wav file onto a CD-R and the consequent playback through a digital input, accessing the unit through the ethernet port, and accessing the unit through the serial port with a null modem cable!) was completed successfully with much forehead wrinkling and double checking and trying and trying to find the correct cable to utilize the serial connection...the sounds are wonderful with correct decoding and lighting of the front display.

So, the issue is that some DVDs have the odd habit of not acquiring the menu item highlighting to indicate that one can scroll through the choices with the fourway pad. For example, we were watching 'Sing' and it contains a menu of 'mini-movies' that I wanted to access once the film had been completed.

I pressed the pop up menu button - the top menu button was disallowed - and once brought to the main menu I chose the 'Mini Movie' menu and once in that section the cursor highlighting did not appear.

I had to try a number of contortions in order to get the highlighting to appear. Up to and including, not only backing out and trying again with the pop up menu button, but also powering down the machine, applying power again and entering the menu, but also ejecting the disc and then starting from the beginning.

Has anyone else experienced this expression of programming excellence?

Other than that - I find the 'apps' less than appealing so have nothing of worth to say on that front -- but the two UHD discs 'Get Out' and 'West World' have played without issue and so have all the other discs we've tried outside of the DVD oddity.
post #5871 of 9755 Old 11-12-2017, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I have a question: Does the HDR to SDR conversion also strip WCG? I have a 4k TV that supports it, supports it very well in fact, but doesn't support HDR. I'm getting a 75X900E on Friday, but would like to use it on the other set in the living-room, if and when I get an XBOX to replace it.

On another note, has anyone heard if Sony would be releasing a future firmware for HDR10+ support for both the UBP-X800 and X900E?
post #5872 of 9755 Old 11-12-2017, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’m sure they will come down in price...with time.

So far I’ve got the two free UHD BD films from the special offer with the player and I bought PE II for $34.99 on Amazon.ca on 7 September (when Amazon dropped the price for almost nine hours).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Plus UHD discs are $10 (CAD) more than BR's
post #5873 of 9755 Old 11-12-2017, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 991
Hey guys any advantage to playing 4k movies down scaled to a 1080p TV?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #5874 of 9755 Old 11-12-2017, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzs22 View Post
It comes in HDR on my Xbox and Roku

Really? Season 1 of Stranger Things is HDR on your Xbox and Roku?
post #5875 of 9755 Old 11-12-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaius View Post
Really? Season 1 of Stranger Things is HDR on your Xbox and Roku?
I have my roku ultra on my sony 850C tv and it triggers HDR picture mode and it looks good not over saturated like it does when you turn HDR on a non HDR show. And on my Xbox one s which Netflix triggers HDR on the beginning menu and everything because they have not fixed that issue yet I watched Stranger Things season 1 on my Xbox for the first time thats when i saw netflix has HDR turned on all the time, but Stranger Things looks good on the Xbox with HDR on.
post #5876 of 9755 Old 11-12-2017, 01:10 PM

I am using my Xbox with my JVC X770 projector.
post #5877 of 9755 Old 11-12-2017, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

are you guys having to pay more to watch the 4k content over Netflix, Hulu and Youtube?

Pioneer VSX-1121-K ~ Sony UBP-X800 4K ~ Emptek E55ti ~ E56ci ~ E55wi ~ R5bi ~ 2x Klipsch Sub-12HG Synergy Series ~ Vizio xled 70" class 4k
post #5878 of 9755 Old 11-12-2017, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
are you guys having to pay more to watch the 4k content over Netflix, Hulu and Youtube?
In Canada, yes
post #5879 of 9755 Old 11-12-2017, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:
Yes, Netflix charges a premium for UHD, shocker.

HT TCL 55P605, Mitsubishi HC6500, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Onkyo TX-NR787, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Stereo Sansui SR-4050, Dual 1219, Oppo UDP 203, Emotiva PT-100, Be One Audio MA100, Polk Monitor 10, SVS SB1000
post #5880 of 9755 Old 11-12-2017, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post
Yes, Netflix charges a premium for UHD, shocker.
yeah...looks like they want me to upgrade to $4 a month to view UHD but i'm wondering if all of the content will be 4k or just some?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4kupscale , 5040 , dsf , Epson , problem , Sony , sony ubp-x800 , streaming music , surround decode , ubp-ux80 , ubp-x1000es , x800

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page