OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 233 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25419Likes

post #6961 of 9938 Old 01-24-2018, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
The one time I had a freeze turned out to be a bad disc that froze on another player too. Ended up ripping the disc to an mic and playing it that way.
The Sony X-800 is the only UHD player I own, so I could not try the discs on another player. However, each time I was able to play the same disc on the Sony after resetting the player, so the freezing wasn't because of a bad disc in my case.
WynsWrld98 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6962 of 9938 Old 01-25-2018, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
The Sony X-800 is the only UHD player I own, so I could not try the discs on another player. However, each time I was able to play the same disc on the Sony after resetting the player, so the freezing wasn't because of a bad disc in my case.
That does not necessarily follow, you need to find another person with an X800 and have him/her play it, to be sure. Or a Brick/Mortar shop.

Cheers
post #6963 of 9938 Old 01-25-2018, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralarcon View Post
That does not necessarily follow, you need to find another person with an X800 and have him/her play it, to be sure. Or a Brick/Mortar shop.

Cheers
Since the same disc will play in the same player through the same spot where it froze without freezing the next time, the issue is impossible to reproduce on my existing player. The freezing is completely random and is not repeatable. How would playing the same disc on another player help?
WynsWrld98 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6964 of 9938 Old 01-25-2018, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Since the same disc will play in the same player through the same spot where it froze without freezing the next time, the issue is impossible to reproduce on my existing player. The freezing is completely random and is not repeatable. How would playing the same disc on another player help?
Because you may have an HDCP software issue, or a Video pathway problem that may require resetting. Unless you can duplicate/or not, the same behavior on another X800 you will not know for sure.

Cheers
post #6965 of 9938 Old 01-25-2018, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralarcon View Post
Because you may have an HDCP software issue, or a Video pathway problem that may require resetting. Unless you can duplicate/or not, the same behavior on another X800 you will not know for sure.

Cheers
It's highly unlikely this is a HDCP issue. The video and/or audio signal never drops -- the video just freezes on the screen and the player becomes unresponsive. It acts more like a CPU freeze-up or memory problem, which would be a firmware code issue. And since the issue is so random and infrequent, the disc could be played over and over again in this player (or any other one) without exhibiting the issue.
WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #6966 of 9938 Old 01-25-2018, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's highly unlikely this is a HDCP issue. The video and/or audio signal never drops -- the video just freezes on the screen and the player becomes unresponsive. It acts more like a CPU freeze-up or memory problem, which would be a firmware code issue. And since the issue is so random and infrequent, the disc could be played over and over again in this player (or any other one) without exhibiting the issue.
HDCP problems can be episodic, due to operating system corruption, and Video/Audio pathway problems can certainly be episodic. All I can say for sure is that I have been able to purchase #3 X800, for didly squat, because of returns, and all 3, one was a gift, are working perfectly fine.

Cheers
post #6967 of 9938 Old 01-25-2018, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 100% UHD movie freeze rate on my X800.
Ok, I only have one UHD disc and I have only played it once...and it frooze this very first only only timec ..not really what I expected. (lego batman movie...after restart it did not freeze at the second try for the same part)
Next planned movies will be the batman trilogy as soon as the prices drops a bit...hope they work better

Question.
WHat is your opinion about upscaling performance? Should I do it in the X800 or in my LG OLED C7?
post #6968 of 9938 Old 01-25-2018, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2792 Post(s)
Liked: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by e3henri View Post

Question.
WHat is your opinion about upscaling performance? Should I do it in the X800 or in my LG OLED C7?
I would say use whichever one looks better to you. Luckily, you have all the gear to run that test.

I find that the x800 is quite good in this regard. I'd be surprised if the TV does better, but it might.
post #6969 of 9938 Old 01-25-2018, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by eJeremye View Post
Likewise

My X800 is a great blu ray player but I don't like watching UHD discs on it because I never know if I'll be able to finish them.

...Two movies that freeze on my player are Star Trek and Star Trek Beyond.
I have no issues with any 4k movies other than a bad Wonder Woman disk which I exchanged and the replacement is fine.
The player has had 2 incidents close together one day using an app (required a hard reset) where it became unstable due to me flipping around menus, switch to my sony TV and back but that has been the only glitch since BF.
post #6970 of 9938 Old 01-26-2018, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
I have 100% UHD movie freeze rate on my X800.
Ok, I only have one UHD disc and I have only played it once...and it frooze this very first only only timec ..not really what I expected. (lego batman movie...after restart it did not freeze at the second try for the same part)
Next planned movies will be the batman trilogy as soon as the prices drops a bit...hope they work better

Question.
Well, my experience mirrors yours. I have a few 4K discs myself. Each time I have played the disc for the first time, as in tear the wrapper, pull the disc from the jewel box and slide it in the X800, I have had one episode of disc freezing. Never to be replicated when run in subsequent viewings. It's weird, and yeah the disc showed no visible signs of damage, debris or smudges when run for the first time.
post #6971 of 9938 Old 01-26-2018, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Question.
I do not own a LG OLED set, so you will have to try it both ways to see which is better in your case. However, in my case with my Vizio M70-D3 display, the Sony X800 does at least as good a job as either the Vizio or my Panasonic BD player + Vizio in upconverting BDs, and the Sony is superior to either the Vizio display or my old Oppo 980H DVD player + Vizio in upconverting SD-DVD content. So I just let the Sony upconvert everything so I do not need to switch settings based on disc format.

So the short answer is that the Sony X800 is one of the better UHD players out there for upconverting lower resolution discs, but you should try it out both ways with your particular setup to see which you prefer.
nathan_h and Magellan55 like this.
post #6972 of 9938 Old 01-26-2018, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Has anyone noticed any image ghosting when watching normal Bluray's? UHD looks fine, but BD has ghosting on fact sequences.
post #6973 of 9938 Old 01-26-2018, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I wanted to ask this in the thread devoted to this movie's blu-ray release, but it is closed. So I'm trying here since this is the player I'm using:

Has anyone noticed a problem with the 4K UHD disc of Blade Runner 2049? I've purchased the movie twice from Amazon U.S. and on both discs the movie itself is extremely dark picture-wise. Too dark to see anything pretty much. I've got the 4K UHD discs for Dunkirk and Mad Max: Fury Road and they both look fine. However, looking online I cannot find anyone else with the same problem I am having. When I put in the disc the brightness seems normal but when the movie's main menu pops up the picture darkens. I even switched out HDMI cables even though my other 4K UHD discs look fine, just in case, but that didn't solve this.

FWIW, I've got this Sony player directly connected to a Samsung UN82MU8000FXZA and audio connected to a Definitive Technology W Studio via HDMI 2. All TV settings and player settings are consistent with all the discs I've tried, so I don't think the problem is varying settings. I have no idea what the problem is. Maybe I should buy the disc elsewhere, even though no customer reviews on Amazon mention disc quality issues?

Any input is appreciated. Have a nice weekend, everyone.
post #6974 of 9938 Old 01-26-2018, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uffizi View Post
I wanted to ask this in the thread devoted to this movie's blu-ray release, but it is closed. So I'm trying here since this is the player I'm using:

Has anyone noticed a problem with the 4K UHD disc of Blade Runner 2049? I've purchased the movie twice from Amazon U.S. and on both discs the movie itself is extremely dark picture-wise. Too dark to see anything pretty much. I've got the 4K UHD discs for Dunkirk and Mad Max: Fury Road and they both look fine. However, looking online I cannot find anyone else with the same problem I am having. When I put in the disc the brightness seems normal but when the movie's main menu pops up the picture darkens. I even switched out HDMI cables even though my other 4K UHD discs look fine, just in case, but that didn't solve this.

FWIW, I've got this Sony player directly connected to a Samsung UN82MU8000FXZA and audio connected to a Definitive Technology W Studio via HDMI 2. All TV settings and player settings are consistent with all the discs I've tried, so I don't think the problem is varying settings. I have no idea what the problem is. Maybe I should buy the disc elsewhere, even though no customer reviews on Amazon mention disc quality issues?

I just watched this a couple of nights ago, with the Philips BDP7501 UHD-BD Player, with a JVC RS400 Projector. The picture quality was spectacular (as was the soundtrack). Doing UHD/HDR with a Projector can be problematic, because light output is much more limited than a 4k/HDR Television, but if one knows the right steps to take, it can be done very effectively.

There is a thread about this particular UHD movie on another forum, and the acclaim for the picture quality was universal.

So I would suspect there is something in your setup that is causing you the problems you're seeing, although it's hard to know what, if other UHD discs look fine. It's hard to think of a way the disc itself could be the source of a problem like this, but who knows.

JVC NX7, DCR Lens, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #6975 of 9938 Old 01-26-2018, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uffizi View Post

I have Blade Runner 2049 and playing on my X800 on my Sony X900E it looks stunning! I would suggest putting all your video settings in the X800 setup menu to AUTO if it isn't already and go from there. Something isn't correct with your TV or player settings.
post #6976 of 9938 Old 01-26-2018, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
I don't think any BDs support automatic subtitles at least I have never seen it. I don't know what that setting is for. Some movies have subtitles hardcoded in for when characters speak different languages for certain scenes but that's all I've ever noticed.
I've now tried a couple of different discs. On some, the subtitle is automatically enabled and selected according to the setting:
Setup->BD/DVD Viewing Settings->Subtitles Language->[Language]
but on other discs, there is no subtitle at all enabled automatically.

So apparently it works, but only for some discs. The question is why it only works on some discs? Is the Blu-ray player or the disc behaving incorrectly for the discs for which it does not work, and why?
post #6977 of 9938 Old 01-26-2018, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Had a "freeze up" incident tonight. Was watching the 4k version of Star Trek Into the Darkness and about an hour and 12 minutes into the movie it froze...not the first time for the player...restarted and same freeze...unplug and restart same freeze...frustrated...removed the 4k disk and played the BD, came with the 4k, disk without a problem.
Also had the subtitles when the movie started though they were set on "none" when I checked before playing. Went back and clicked on "none" and they were gone...odd.

Called Sony support. First "helper" didn't...he had me do a reset on the player and try again. Froze in the same area...after a bit of nothing working he transferred me to the next up the support chain...this person had me go into setting and under video change the 4K upscaling from the defaut "auto 1" to "off". Started the disk again and no freeze up....buuuuuuuut...during the period I was on hold I shut the player down and after it restarted I started the disk at the same scene it was freezing at and it played right through so did the setting change do anything??? I don't know and neither did the "help" person.

Time will tell.

But the movie was awesome. I'm a big star trek fan as is my wife and neither of us remembered this movie when it was in the theaters...hmmm...maybe alien abduction with a mind wipe??? or just busy and we forgot...I'm going with the alien abduction. Cumberbatch is an awesome evildoer and a believable Khan but Ricardo is still Khan too...sigh.

TV: Sony XBR 65X950G, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Media Player: Zidoo Z9S, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
post #6978 of 9938 Old 01-27-2018, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I know the nature of the site is for people to come here looking for answers when they have a problem, but as a new owner of this device, I was surprised to see so many negative comments. Are most owners on this thread generally happy with the X800?

Anyone know of a way to bypass the "Connecting to internet [page] 1/3..." dialog that happens each time I try to stream Amazon or Netflix thru the device?

Sony XBR75x940D
Marantz NR1606
Sony UBP X800
Xbox One
post #6979 of 9938 Old 01-27-2018, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbbfooz View Post
I know the nature of the site is for people to come here looking for answers when they have a problem, but as a new owner of this device, I was surprised to see so many negative comments. Are most owners on this thread generally happy with the X800?

Anyone know of a way to bypass the "Connecting to internet [page] 1/3..." dialog that happens each time I try to stream Amazon or Netflix thru the device?
Pleased with mine. It loads very quickly, picture is solid, and sound is great.
post #6980 of 9938 Old 01-27-2018, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2144 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
Can somebody pls share the Sony support chat page with me.

Im having lots of weird picture issues with mine where after I stop playing an HDR movie, the player gets stuck into a random picture mode and when I play another HDR movie, the picture has a ugly yellow tint to it and doesnt go away until I stop and replay the movie again.

And yes, I tried 4 different HDMI cables.

Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H (11.2) + OPPO 203 + PS4 + Roku
Disc Lot For SALE : HERE!
post #6981 of 9938 Old 01-27-2018, 05:38 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 9642 Post(s)
Liked: 6324
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbbfooz View Post

All the SOny players do this. At least the many SOny players I have owned over the years. It does this to update the apps. You can't avoid it. At least on the X800 the process is very quick.
old corps likes this.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #6982 of 9938 Old 01-27-2018, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello All,

I recently purchased UBP-x700 and this is connected to Yamaha RXA-870 AVR. When I try to play the files from USB ( with bitstream out on), it is not sending the Dolby Atmos audio to AVR.

I get an 'audio format not supported' error message poping up in the blu ray player menu.

I am really confused. Can you please help ?

I can see that DD+ formats are bitstreaming okay.

Audio format is:
Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : TrueHD
Format profile : TrueHD+Atmos / TrueHD
Codec ID : A_TRUEHD
Duration : 1 h 52 min
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 5 616 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 8 229 kb/s
Channel(s) : Object Based / 8 channels
Channel positions : Object Based / Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : / 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossless
Stream size : 4.43 GiB (31%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Note: I posted this in x700 forum and I understand that there are only few people who own this unit as it is relatively new. x800 users must have had this issue for sure.
post #6983 of 9938 Old 01-27-2018, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4262 Post(s)
Liked: 4574
It's likely the AVR, ask about it in the thread for your AVR model and there's likely a setting to change.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #6984 of 9938 Old 01-27-2018, 05:56 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 9642 Post(s)
Liked: 6324
Can the SOny players even play those formats from a file? I thought Sony cheaped out and didn't pay for licensing from Dolby to be able to do that?

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #6985 of 9938 Old 01-27-2018, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Can the SOny players even play those formats from a file? I thought Sony cheaped out and didn't pay for licensing from Dolby to be able to do that?

Just noticed the question was about playing media from a USB drive and not a disc. My bad lol. You are probably right it can’t play the format

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #6986 of 9938 Old 01-27-2018, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks guys. So is that not all UHD players play the format (TrueHD-Atmos) or only Sony can't play the format from USB? Just curious.
post #6987 of 9938 Old 01-27-2018, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemauk View Post
Thanks guys. So is that not all UHD players play the format (TrueHD-Atmos) or only Sony can't play the format from USB? Just curious.

Well the container format matters too. The player needs the correct software to support it. Most media player software in blu Ray players is very basic.

post #6988 of 9938 Old 01-27-2018, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemauk View Post
Hello All,

I recently purchased UBP-x700 and this is connected to Yamaha RXA-870 AVR. When I try to play the files from USB ( with bitstream out on), it is not sending the Dolby Atmos audio to AVR.

I get an 'audio format not supported' error message poping up in the blu ray player menu.

I am really confused. Can you please help ?

I can see that DD+ formats are bitstreaming okay.

Audio format is:
Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : TrueHD
Format profile : TrueHD+Atmos / TrueHD
Codec ID : A_TRUEHD
Duration : 1 h 52 min
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 5 616 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 8 229 kb/s
Channel(s) : Object Based / 8 channels
Channel positions : Object Based / Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : / 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossless
Stream size : 4.43 GiB (31%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Note: I posted this in x700 forum and I understand that there are only few people who own this unit as it is relatively new. x800 users must have had this issue for sure.
Each player tends to have a separate list of file formats it supports. This is probably not the right forum to answer your question since I would assume that the X700 may support fewer file formats than the X800... Although that may not be the case.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
post #6989 of 9938 Old 01-28-2018, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Just had my first incidence of syncing issues last night with dialogue. No other blu-ray so far has shown it, but we watched Blade Runner 2049 and about halfway through the audio was about a millisecond off the video. Towards the final 30 minutes, it seemed to get more noticeable to the point we all were a little distracted.

Is there a fix for this? I have one HDMI running out to a Sony STR-DN1080 AVR and from that out to a Sony 65Z9D 4K TV. The speakers are all Pioneer Andrew Jones signature series with Atmos.

~ MAX
Sony XBR-65Z9D 4K TV | Sony STR-DN1080 AVR | Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray | NVIDIA Shield TV | PlayStation 4 Pro | Harmony Ultimate
Pioneer Andrew Jones Design: SP-C22 Center Channel/4x SP-BS22A-LR Dolby Atmos Bookshelf/SW-8MK2 Subwoofer
post #6990 of 9938 Old 01-28-2018, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked: 1158
We watched "It" the movie last night, streamed from Vudu and it was as usual completely flawless. I guess I got lucky because mine has had very few issues. Maybe 3 resets since I've bought it in November and it's a scratch and dent one too.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Oldways7 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4kupscale , 5040 , dsf , Epson , problem , Sony , sony ubp-x800 , streaming music , surround decode , ubp-ux80 , ubp-x1000es , x800

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page