OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 237 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25415Likes

post #7081 of 9901 Old 02-04-2018, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie1970 View Post
Other than covering up the sensor on the region free player, is there anything you all can think of to stop this annoying occurrence?
IIRC, we have already covered this. In a nutshell it can be done with several models of URC remotes with addressable IR blasters using an RF base. It would be fairly costly and requires programming the remote(s) which is done locally*, not online like Harmony.

*Requires an authorized dealer to do it or give you the software so you can do it. Would not recommend for beginners!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7082 of 9901 Old 02-04-2018, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I had my 2nd X800 lockup since BF (it's always Youtube for me) trying to view an 8K vid.
It required a hard reset.
How this kind of stuff slips through QC is beyond me.
I may just turn the instant on feature off and see if that fixes it.
It's still a great unit which will hopefully be improved with firmware.
post #7083 of 9901 Old 02-04-2018, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My player locked up today on Wonder Woman 4K. It’s only the second movie I’ve watched not the start I was looking for!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7084 of 9901 Old 02-04-2018, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 56
HDR on Amazon

Can someone verify if this player can play HDR on Amazon? I'm seeing conflicting information with some folks stating NO and some folks stating YES. I just received this player and I'm not seeing HDR over Amazon at the moment but I do with Netflix and YouTube.
post #7085 of 9901 Old 02-04-2018, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman1000 View Post
Can someone verify if this player can play HDR on Amazon? I'm seeing conflicting information with some folks stating NO and some folks stating YES. I just received this player and I'm not seeing HDR over Amazon at the moment but I do with Netflix and YouTube.
Really? HDR from Amazon on the X800?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #7086 of 9901 Old 02-04-2018, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked: 4552
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman1000 View Post
No it won't.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #7087 of 9901 Old 02-04-2018, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie1970 View Post
My player locked up today on Wonder Woman 4K. It’s only the second movie I’ve watched not the start I was looking for!
Just one data point, but WW 4K works great on my X800. Watched it several times, as it's my demo disk for my audio setup. So it's not the movie itself (unless your disk has an issue).
Goldie1970 likes this.

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
post #7088 of 9901 Old 02-04-2018, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
No it won't.
Thanks for the confirmation. I guess this goes back and I get the X700 that supposedly will.
post #7089 of 9901 Old 02-04-2018, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi all.

My x800 is constantly freezing/locking up when playing both normal blu-rays and 4k discs. I'm on my second unit. I'm starting to think it is something with my setup.

I am using new high speed (18gb) HDMI cables. HDMI 1 is connected to my Sony 900E and HDMI 2 is connected to my older Yamaha AV receiver. I wonder if there is just some incompatibility with my old receiver.

Are people still getting lock-ups with this player? It sounds like there are many people out there that are not experiencing any problems with this unit and are very happy with it. But there are a significant number of people having trouble with it - specifically with it locking up and freezing while playing discs. Since I am on my second unit from 2 different Best Buy stores, it seems unlikely that both of these units are bad. That is why I am now looking at either my setup or my settings.

Are the people experiencing lockups using both HDMI outputs to accommodate older receivers without HDCP 2.2 support?
post #7090 of 9901 Old 02-05-2018, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoates View Post
Hi all.

My x800 is constantly freezing/locking up when playing both normal blu-rays and 4k discs. I'm on my second unit. I'm starting to think it is something with my setup.

I am using new high speed (18gb) HDMI cables. HDMI 1 is connected to my Sony 900E and HDMI 2 is connected to my older Yamaha AV receiver. I wonder if there is just some incompatibility with my old receiver.

Are people still getting lock-ups with this player? It sounds like there are many people out there that are not experiencing any problems with this unit and are very happy with it. But there are a significant number of people having trouble with it - specifically with it locking up and freezing while playing discs. Since I am on my second unit from 2 different Best Buy stores, it seems unlikely that both of these units are bad. That is why I am now looking at either my setup or my settings.

Are the people experiencing lockups using both HDMI outputs to accommodate older receivers without HDCP 2.2 support?
I'm running hdmi 1 into a Sony 900e set also and hdmi 2 into a Yamaha rxa 2040 with no issues.

Sony 65xbr900e, Sony UBP-X800, Pioneer DV-563A, Audio-technica AT-LP120USB,
Sony CDP-CX455, Teac AD-800,Yamaha Rx-A2040,
FL/FR Definitive Technology BP30's, center Def Tech Procenter 2000,
SR/SL Def Tech BP2X's, sub JBL PSW1200.
Bedroom pair of JBL L26's that still rock.
post #7091 of 9901 Old 02-05-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post
I'm running hdmi 1 into a Sony 900e set also and hdmi 2 into a Yamaha rxa 2040 with no issues.
Ok, that is good to know. Thanks for that info. I'm using a Yamaha rx-v473. Since it is working for your setup, I don't think that is the problem.

This new x800 that I am using did not need a firmware update. When I first turned it on and tried to update, it said it was already up-to-date. I will verify the version on the player and make sure it matches the one listed on the sony support website (M36.R.0178).

So, I feel like I ruled out the setup and the HDMI cables. I don't know what else to try. Any other ideas?
post #7092 of 9901 Old 02-05-2018, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Ok, that is good to know. Thanks for that info. I'm using a Yamaha rx-v473. Since it is working for your setup, I don't think that is the problem.

This new x800 that I am using did not need a firmware update. When I first turned it on and tried to update, it said it was already up-to-date. I will verify the version on the player and make sure it matches the one listed on the sony support website (M36.R.0178).

So, I feel like I ruled out the setup and the HDMI cables. I don't know what else to try. Any other ideas?
Sorry. I just set everything on auto and turned the "instant on" off, as that seemed to be recommended by many. I originally had a bad brand new cable, so that is a possibility. Also, some cables are directional.

Last edited by Rocko1; 02-05-2018 at 09:13 AM.
post #7093 of 9901 Old 02-05-2018, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:

Is the Yamaha RX-V473 HDCP 2.2 compliant ? If not, there is your problem.

Cheers
post #7094 of 9901 Old 02-05-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralarcon View Post
Is the Yamaha RX-V473 HDCP 2.2 compliant ? If not, there is your problem.

Cheers
The RX-V473 is not HDCP 2.2 compliant, but my understanding is that it doesn't have to be. The X800 is only connected to the RX-v473 for audio using the HDMI 2 port on the X800. If the receiver was HCDP 2.2 compliant, I wouldn't need to use the audio-only HDMI port of the X800. That port is specifically there for compatibility with older AV receivers. That's correct, right?
old corps and Hetfieldjames like this.
post #7095 of 9901 Old 02-05-2018, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The RX-V473 is not HDCP 2.2 compliant, but my understanding is that it doesn't have to be. The X800 is only connected to the RX-v473 for audio using the HDMI 2 port on the X800. If the receiver was HCDP 2.2 compliant, I wouldn't need to use the audio-only HDMI port of the X800. That port is specifically there for compatibility with older AV receivers. That's correct, right?
Yes, you are right , if you are not using the video/audio pathway of HDMI 1 then there might be a problem somewhere else on the pathway. Is the X800 set , on the menu, to to audio HDMI 2 vs. SPDIF, Have you tried an SPDIF connection ?

Cheers
post #7096 of 9901 Old 02-05-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Yes, you are right , if you are not using the video/audio pathway of HDMI 1 then there might be a problem somewhere else on the pathway. Is the X800 set , on the menu, to to audio HDMI 2 vs. SPDIF, Have you tried an SPDIF connection ?

Cheers
I had the audio set to "Auto". I will change it to HDMI 2 and test it out today. If I get another freeze up I will try removing the HDMI 2 connection and try using the SPDIF connection for audio. That's a great suggestion. If it freezes after that, I can then completely rule out the HDMI 2 audio connection being the cause of the problems.

I am using a brand new HDMI cable from Best Buy (a 8' Rocketfish 4k HDR cable) to connect the x800 to my Sony 75" 900E. So I don't think it is that connection that is causing the problem, but you never know.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
post #7097 of 9901 Old 02-05-2018, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemartian View Post
I purchased my X800 about two months ago and am now experiencing the issue with the unit not recognizing some UHD discs. I have read earlier in this thread that others have experienced the same thing. I will be calling Sony support tomorrow to ask for a replacement player, but I don't have the original packaging materials anymore (only kept them for a few weeks), so not sure what the result of that call will be.

What happens is the same as detailed earlier in this thread by others...Some UHD discs will not be recognized by the X800. It will spin up/spin down a few times, leave a generic icon on the menu and display an error about how it cannot play the disc, check the disc for dirt or fingerprints and maybe the disc is not finalized, etc.

These are brand new discs. I have been intermittently able to get Blade Runner 2049 to play, but every other time I try to load the disc, it gives me the above error. Several attempts at loading will usually get it to play eventually. Ditto for Mad Max: Fury Road, but have not been able to get it to play at all. Most of my other UHD titles play fine so far. Cleaning has no effect. All other disc formats play fine: BD, SACD, CD, DVD. Only UHD titles seem to be an issue.

For a while, I was wondering if it was something about the way Warner Brothers masters their discs as the problem discs were both WB, but I went through all my titles one by one, and I've got several other WB discs that play just fine -- so far. I was even willing to consider that I had two dud discs. However, since learning that others have had issues in the same vein with this unit, and these are all brand new discs, it worries me. Even if I can get a replacement out of Sony, I'll be expecting issues from now on.
That's the exact same issue I encountered with my first X-800 last summer. The issue quickly deteriorated from "some" UHD discs not loading to "all" UHD discs not loading. All other disc types played fine. Sony replaced the player, paying for the shipping both ways, and the replacement player has not exhibited this same issue. My only issue now is an occasional player freeze when playing a UHD, which quite a few other people are experiencing, too. The freeze issue is probably firmware-related, where the issue with being unable to read any UHD discs was a hardware failure.
post #7098 of 9901 Old 02-05-2018, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
That's the exact same issue I encountered with my first X-800 last summer. The issue quickly deteriorated from "some" UHD discs not loading to "all" UHD discs not loading. All other disc types played fine. Sony replaced the player, paying for the shipping both ways, and the replacement player has not exhibited this same issue. My only issue now is an occasional player freeze when playing a UHD, which quite a few other people are experiencing, too. The freeze issue is probably firmware-related, where the issue with being unable to read any UHD discs was a hardware failure.
Thanks for the response. Yes, it seems to be a trend with these players. I spoke to Sony as mentioned in my previous post and they are exchanging my unit for a new one or "one of comparable value and features." Not sure what I'll end up with. The dud unit is due to arrive at Sony's digs in Texas tomorrow according to tracking.

Their tech had me go through several sets of tests and resets and power disconnects, etc. -- all to no avail. He said it is defective and needs servicing but, since my unit is still under warranty, the exchange is allowed.

I have to say that I'm a bit gun-shy about this model now. With this issue and no Dolby Vision, enough so that I've gone ahead and finally pulled the trigger on an Oppo 203, which I wish I had purchased from the start. The replacement Sony will probably be sold or hand-me-downed.
post #7099 of 9901 Old 02-05-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
The freeze issue is probably firmware-related, where the issue with being unable to read any UHD discs was a hardware failure.
I forgot to mention that the Sony tech told me the non-reading of UHD discs was firmware-related and that a new firmware version is due out soon. I'm not sure I believe him. Like you, the unit not reading UHD discs seems hardware-related. Especially since my unit originally did read UHD discs and then stopped, and there's been no firmware update since I originally got it 2 months back.
post #7100 of 9901 Old 02-05-2018, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I bought a new Sony 4K XBR-900E TV and needed a UHD player for it. There really isn't a lot of selection in UHD players and against my better judgement I bought the Sony X800 UHD player. Hope I don't end up regretting it although the player has frozen at least once on every disc we have watched UHD or BD in the 2 weeks we have owned them. Wish I had seen all the reports of freeze ups with this player before I bought it. My last Sony BD player was a complete nightmare and I had sworn off Sony BD players for life. But there really isn't much UHD player selection in the under $200 range and all units have some poor reviews. Hoping reports of a firmware fix turn out to be true! Hope to win the Powerball Lottery too.

Dave
post #7101 of 9901 Old 02-05-2018, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 395
I've had my Sony X800 since Christmas and haven't any discs freeze up on me yet[knock on wood].
I WANT MORE likes this.

The best way to listen to music is in 5.1 imho.
post #7102 of 9901 Old 02-06-2018, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 73
OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

I can say, other than the one issue I had where I was unable to connect to the internet until I manually did an update to the firmware(you can see it earlier in this thread), I have been happy with this thing. It hasn't locked up on me yet but I did, on previous firmware, have bouts of long pauses. That seems to have gone away though.

With that said, now that I can rip my UHD disks to my Plex server, I will be using this a lot less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oOOBillO0o and mgh26 like this.
post #7103 of 9901 Old 02-06-2018, 07:42 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 9530 Post(s)
Liked: 6221
Quote:
I forgot to mention that the Sony tech told me the non-reading of UHD discs was firmware-related and that a new firmware version is due out soon. I'm not sure I believe him. Like you, the unit not reading UHD discs seems hardware-related. Especially since my unit originally did read UHD discs and then stopped, and there's been no firmware update since I originally got it 2 months back.
I don't see how it's software related. SInce my launch x800 has read every UHD BD I've played in it. And I have over 170 UHD BD titles and have easily played over 125 in my X800 without any issues.

Although maybe they changed the model of the UHD BD drive in the x800 later in the life cycle? And maybe that is why there are issues?

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7104 of 9901 Old 02-06-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I don't see how it's software related.
Agreed. Like I said in my post, I didn't really believe the Sony tech when he said that, but since I was getting a replacement, I didn't argue the point. If multiple units of this make/model develop this issue, makes me wonder if there is a design flaw that occasionally (but not always) surfaces. Maybe harsh treatment during delivery knocking the optics out of alignment or something.
post #7105 of 9901 Old 02-06-2018, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Agreed. Like I said in my post, I didn't really believe the Sony tech when he said that, but since I was getting a replacement, I didn't argue the point. If multiple units of this make/model develop this issue, makes me wonder if there is a design flaw that occasionally (but not always) surfaces. Maybe harsh treatment during delivery knocking the optics out of alignment or something.
I have bought #3 units returned because of "freeze ups", for very little money. Have not experienced a freeze up on any of them once. Bought all 3 for the cost of one.

Cheers
post #7106 of 9901 Old 02-06-2018, 08:22 AM

I am convinced that the freeze ups are caused by HDMI audio issues. At least that is what appears to be causing mine.

Last night I had a freeze up 10 mins into a standard blu-ray movie. My x800 was connected to my 900E on HDMI1 and to my Yamaha rx-v471 receiver on HDMI2 for audio. I decided to disconnect the HDMI2 cable to the receiver and use the TV for audio to pass optical to the receiver. The movie ran the entire 2 1/2 hours without a freeze.

I know this is just one data point, but it has always been my gut feeling that the x800 connected to an older receiver on HDMI2 was the cause of the freeze ups.

I did a firmware update to the Yamaha 471 after the movie which brought it up to version 1.14 (not sure what things were fixed/improved with this version - I am not able to find any documentation on it). I will try another test tonight.

Here's a question for all the people experiencing freezing on the x800 - are you also using HDMI2 connected to older receivers for audio? Or the opposite way to ask the question - Is anyone getting regular freeze ups while simply using HDMI1 connected to either a HDCP 2.2 receiver or directly to a 4k TV with the HDMI2 port empty?
post #7107 of 9901 Old 02-06-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I am convinced that the freeze ups are caused by HDMI audio issues.
That's very possible. I can't speak to the freeze ups as I didn't experience any. My issue was with the player not reading or playing UHD discs. And that issue I think is hardware-related.
post #7108 of 9901 Old 02-06-2018, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am convinced that the freeze ups are caused by HDMI audio issues. At least that is what appears to be causing mine.

Last night I had a freeze up 10 mins into a standard blu-ray movie. My x800 was connected to my 900E on HDMI1 and to my Yamaha rx-v471 receiver on HDMI2 for audio. I decided to disconnect the HDMI2 cable to the receiver and use the TV for audio to pass optical to the receiver. The movie ran the entire 2 1/2 hours without a freeze.

I know this is just one data point, but it has always been my gut feeling that the x800 connected to an older receiver on HDMI2 was the cause of the freeze ups.

I did a firmware update to the Yamaha 471 after the movie which brought it up to version 1.14 (not sure what things were fixed/improved with this version - I am not able to find any documentation on it). I will try another test tonight.

Here's a question for all the people experiencing freezing on the x800 - are you also using HDMI2 connected to older receivers for audio? Or the opposite way to ask the question - Is anyone getting regular freeze ups while simply using HDMI1 connected to either a HDCP 2.2 receiver or directly to a 4k TV with the HDMI2 port empty?
"I am convinced that the freeze ups are caused by HDMI audio issues. At least that is what appears to be causing mine."

I completely agree with you. I do not blame people , I blame the industry for making it so difficult for normal persons to obtain compatible equipment. All for the illusion of copy protection. In an age whhere people with computers, brake the codes and copy protected material soon after the copy protection comes to market.

Cheers
ccoates and Chuck_IV like this.
post #7109 of 9901 Old 02-06-2018, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
"I am convinced that the freeze ups are caused by HDMI audio issues. At least that is what appears to be causing mine."

I completely agree with you. I do not blame people , I blame the industry for making it so difficult for normal persons to obtain compatible equipment. All for the illusion of copy protection. In an age whhere people with computers, brake the codes and copy protected material soon after the copy protection comes to market.

Cheers
Par for the course.
Most laws only end up affecting law abiding citizens.
Great job DR people, what a joke...
WynsWrld98, Ralarcon and foghorn2 like this.
post #7110 of 9901 Old 02-06-2018, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 23
New UBP-X800 with some questions

I posted part of my questions in the LG B7 Owner's thread, but this may be a better thread to post them in.

I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like the video processing and picture quality is better than the built-in 4K blu ray player on the Xbox.

I tried out various discs, and I was very impressed. The upscaling seems to be pretty incredible.

I'm still wondering if others feel the same way or have a similar experience. I really didn't like the idea of buying a standalone player, since one is already built in to the Xbox One X, but now I feel like if I want the best picture quality that this television offers for movies, I kind of have to go to that route.

Also, I was reading some posts about freezing; is freezing common on this player? I had to unplug the player from the power a couple of times, as it locked up on Planet Earth 2 in the same place, as I was hitting the chapter skip button in the loading menus.

It didn't lockup when letting it play through the loading menus though, so it only seemed to be when I tried to skip the pre-menu material.

Thanks for any feedback or opinions.
oOOBillO0o likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4kupscale , 5040 , dsf , Epson , problem , Sony , sony ubp-x800 , streaming music , surround decode , ubp-ux80 , ubp-x1000es , x800

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page